Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow 1-person 1-plant 1-year

Disrupt

Former member
Welcome to a thread for small grows! A single plant - grown in a small closet once per year - can yield several daily doses of concentrate all year long.

Why a closet? Devised this basic set-up in the 1990s, when privacy was still a concern. Returning to growing a few years ago, it's still an ideal space.

full

Ventilation is the key. This closet happens to have an attic entry in which a 6-inch fan is mounted. It's covered by a filter to prevent any dust from the attic finding its way back down.

The closet shelf is at a good height for gravity irrigation. A black bucket blocks light that could feed algae. The tube up the center indicates the level of water/nutrients.

For irrigation, it's Tropf-Blumat.

%5E8944CFBBE2CA303986E81A718B4D0F91115F6AC6B5890DBEE0%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Found after making the classic mistake of over-watering. It's simple and effective. Basically, as water is drawn out of the "carrot" by the roots, pressure tugs open the thin flexible hose dripping water/nutrients from above the medium. All of the irrigation gear is available from their resellers.

The red irrigation tubing is connected in a loop from the reservoir through strainers that keep particulates from blocking the line. To the left is a grey air pump connected by clear tubing to an air stone. This keeps the reservoir fully oxygenated. The Amare 300W COB LED hangs from the clothes rack.

(Roots love oxygen. So does a white film that grew in the reservoir until Hydroguard cleared it up.)

full

The dripper is actually connected to a distribution dripper and then to a buried dripper hose. The distribution dripper drips close to the stem, while the dripper hose irrigates the pot evenly.

full

Switched last year, but the simple dripper without strainers was fine before that. Like to try new add-ons and upgrades.

The moisture sensor has become indispensible. It works on the same principle as the the blumats. It allows you to set the optimal moisture level for each stage of growth. 117mbar is pretty moist, but that's best for germination and seedlings. The number will be higher and dryer in flowering.

(The white pebbles are Growstone's Gnat Nix. The sharp silica injures the adults as they first emerge from the medium.)

Using Canna nutrients and peat-based soilless medium. Yes, you can get great results more cheaply. Tried DIY super soil, got poor results. There are plenty of other things to worry about. (One of the disadvantages of this method is a steep learning curve , even growing plants every four months.) Right now, it's Canna Start.

full

Seedlings also like relatively high humidity. The Honeywell isn't ideal, purchase in desperattion during a humidity crisis, but it does the job. The gold rod in the corner is a closet heater. Like to germinate in the final five gallon airpot, and seedlings like it warm. (Closet heaters are sold for clothing care, but provide the right, gentle warmth.)

Don't overlook the hygrometer/thermometer on the wall to the right.

That's about all for this set-up. Please post yours or ask questions about this one. Plan to update through harvest as the closet garden adapts to the needs of the maturing plant.

full

But for now... a baby!

Last edited:
Great thread! And I can see that it could perhaps be adapted to a larger closet with two plants.

Ventilation is the key. This closet happens to have an attic entry in which a 6-inch fan is mounted. It's covered by a filter to prevent any dust from the attic finding its way back down.

I'm guessing that's an outtake fan with a carbon filter? What type of intake are you using?

Really looking forward to seeing how your grow progresses. :thumbsup:

I'm guessing that's an outtake fan with a carbon filter? What type of intake are you using?

Good question! It's an outtake fan exhausting into the attic. Passive intake through the cracks around the door. Researched this, and the area is just about right for a 6" exhaust fan. Built a light trap around the door to take advantage of the space without light leaking in. More on that later.

Two, or even three, plants will fit in this closet, but it's very cramped and not worth it. It's easier to let one plant grow bigger.

Last edited:
Good question! It's an outtake fan exhausting into the attic. Passive intake through the cracks around the door. Researched this, and the area is just about right for a 6" exhaust fan. Built a light trap around the door to take advantage of the space without light leaking in. More on that later.

Two, or even three, plants will fit in this closet, but it's very cramped and not worth it. It's easier to let one plant grow bigger.

If there's a will, there's a way grow, love it !!!

full

Barney's Peppermint Kush establishing herself steadily (IMLE), ten days later. So nice to have a gal starting her life in the closet.:hmm: Just opening the door to her world brings peace of mind.

She was a little spindly at first. Away for a couple of days (a nice feature of this set-up) just as she was sprouting. Building up the medium around the base helped.

To top or not to to top? (Not yet.)

Always let plants express themselves, except for LST. But the main stem makes for a crowded, asymmetrical canopy. Topping plus LST could work nicely, and this one looks strong.

On veg nutes now. Rather than auto-water, saturate when the meter reads ~130mbar, by opening up the Blumat to the dripper and drip tape and then closing it again when the meter reads ~90mbar. Changes nutes more quickly.

Last edited:
I was thinking 1 plant a year might be right for me, as long as it lools like this;
IMG_4231.jpg

or this;
!Eli-Bilton-Oregon_30884.jpg

Yeah, yeah, we all know they grow big. :sleeping:That's not the point here.

full

Besides, she may be small, but she's pretty - and growing (two weeks). Classic indica with a little skunk aroma. Check out how tight those internodes are - leaving lamp on 24 hours. (Plants do most of their stretching when it's dark.) One more and the topping experiment begins!

full

Beginning low-stress training with the P SCROG screen. Topped between the fifth and sixth internodes, now gently bending the branches outward under the screen, while pushing big fan leaves down and out of the way. Also pruned the first two shoots on each branch. Pruning is new - going for ten big, pretty colas this time instead of popcorn buds. (Concentrate yield from prime buds is about double that from popcorn buds.)

Last edited:
Flowertime! :aaaaa:

full

Just waking up after her first 12-hour night. (COBs on during flowering for a total of 300 Watts.) Ditched the caddy for a little more vertical space, and spread out to two plastic screens side-by-side, mounted to the walls with picture-hangers. Removed the humidifier - plant's big enough to raise the humidity in the closet to a comfortable 50% all by herself.

Still on veg nutes for a couple of weeks as the plant's vegetative growth slows before the appearance of flowers. This plant seems to belong outdoors or at least in a larger space. Peppermint Kush is described as a medium-sized plant. Could possibly be caused by reaching for the conventional veg LEDs. (Next time, need to use pulleys to bring these closer - got lazy.) But everything seems proportionally bigger than the last plant, not stretched thin.

There's wasted space in the center of the canopy, but the colas should be right in the sweet spot of the lights. Try letting the plant grow up from here.

full

Also tried topping and pruning for the first time. Pruned shoots from the side branches below the canopy. Might be better to top the second inter-node branches as well and let their lowest shoots grow up. (Six more colas!) Could also grow two topped plants side-by-side and flower sooner, but that would be 2 plants per person per year. Maybe prune the lowest shoot from the main-stem early? It's much smaller than the one above.

Any tips appreciated. Always trying something new, or several things. This time, topping, pruning and a new strain. The biggest drawback of growing only one plant per year is the limited experience.

Last edited:
Another milestone - bloom nutes!

full

She's showing her first flowers, so it's time to switch.

full

Lush foliage is raising the humidity, so it's also time to add a dehumidifier. You can see it off to the right under the canopy.

41LQbiY5X4L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Very happy with this Ivation Peltier dehumidifier because it doesn't generate much heat. Works well in a closet, but might not in larger spaces.

Also upgraded the humidifier.

iu

This Aircare model has a 2.5 gallon capacity, larger wicking area, lower profile, and a digital humidistat - big improvement over the one above!

Flowertime! :aaaaa:

full

Just waking up after her first 12-hour night. (COBs on during flowering for a total of 300 Watts.) Ditched the caddy for a little more vertical space, and spread out to two plastic screens side-by-side, mounted to the walls with picture-hangers. Removed the humidifier - plant's big enough to raise the humidity in the closet to a comfortable 50% all by herself.

Still on veg nutes for a couple of weeks as the plant's vegetative growth slows before the appearance of flowers. This plant seems to belong outdoors or at least in a larger space. Peppermint Kush is described as a medium-sized plant. Could possibly be caused by reaching for the conventional veg LEDs. (Next time, need to use pulleys to bring these closer - got lazy.) But everything seems proportionally bigger than the last plant, not stretched thin.

There's wasted space in the center of the canopy, but the colas should be right in the sweet spot of the lights. Try letting the plant grow up from here.

full

Also tried topping and pruning for the first time. Pruned shoots from the side branches below the canopy. Might be better to top the second inter-node branches as well and let their lowest shoots grow up. (Six more colas!) Could also grow two topped plants side-by-side and flower sooner, but that would be 2 plants per person per year. Maybe prune the lowest shoot from the main-stem early? It's much smaller than the one above.

Any tips appreciated. Always trying something new, or several things. This time, topping, pruning and a new strain. The biggest drawback of growing only one plant per year is the limited experience.
We're you nervous at all about trimming?
Can you clarify, is this plant going to produce all of your bud for the year?
I'm enjoying following this thread. I don't yet grow indoors, and am not sure if I should or not, but it is of interest.

We're you nervous at all about trimming?

Absolutely - and still don't know if its right. Topping and pruning would be a welcome thread topic from someone more experienced.

Can you clarify, is this plant going to produce all of your bud for the year?

Last year, got about 12 zips from one plant, more than enough for a year. Optimistically assumed it would be that way from now on. We'll see.

Also, didn't top or prune at all, but it wasn't easy getting light to every bud. Needed to harvest incrementally. Worth it, but the same yield in ten larger colas would be preferable.

I'm enjoying following this thread. I don't yet grow indoors, and am not sure if I should or not, but it is of interes

Thanks! It's been a rewarding hobby in more ways than one. With so much tech and support available these days. it's hard to resist. There's even a grow shop around the corner.

My Other Son left behind a 6×6 grow tent, lights, pumps, etc. An entire system, really. Hydroponic. I'm kind of tempted to start seeds and clones indoors to get a jump on the outdoor grow. Mostly, I don't need to do it. I grow more than enough outdoors, and I hate the thought of all of the electricity it takes. On the other hand, I feel ignorant not knowing how to grow indoors. Plus, wasted grow supplies. I also have solar panels, so it isn't that big of a deal about electricity.
Your grow is inspiring, so there is also that .

My Other Son left behind a 6×6 grow tent, lights, pumps, etc. An entire system, really. Hydroponic. I'm kind of tempted to start seeds and clones indoors to get a jump on the outdoor grow. Mostly, I don't need to do it. I grow more than enough outdoors, and I hate the thought of all of the electricity it takes. On the other hand, I feel ignorant not knowing how to grow indoors. Plus, wasted grow supplies. I also have solar panels, so it isn't that big of a deal about electricity.
Your grow is inspiring, so there is also that .

Thanks - meant to show that anyone with a spare closet can grow all the cannabis they need in a few months.

Lots of vegetable gardeners start their plants indoors. Maybe you'd get monsters like the ones in @LesPlenty's post. You don't need as much light for vegetative growth.

I had to Google what a zip of weed was, an oz to us oldtimers! Your plant is looking really healthy, is this the same plant you had some problems with early on?

Your plant is looking really healthy, is this the same plant you had some problems with early on?

Thanks! This is the one and only plant. Had relatively few problems with her. A little light burn early on. Also, the drip tape stopped working, which happened last year. Might not have enough pressure for it from gravity. Fortunately, the irrigation system has redundancies built in. Easily switched to drippers. On the plus side, very few gnats this year. Soaking the medium with a high dose of Gnatrol seemed to kill off the larvae before they could take to the air. She's also taking maximum nutes.

They grow up so fast.

full

Expect this is the end of the stretch. After topping, pruning and then defoliating under the canopy (to lower humidity), just let her do her thing. Probably should have pruned a few more shoots.

Canna recommends a an extra shot of PK at this time. Hope she bulks up. :popcorn:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back