Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips A very effective slow smell proof oil infusion experiment with limited low heat

jeffp

(pasted from what I just posted in FC)

I'm very pleased with the results, it's a powerful, effective, slow 3 day process with no smell.

Here's what I did: First, I set my convection oven to a little below 325F to warm for about a half hour (preparation time). Then...I mixed a half cup of ABV with a half cup of MCT oil into a mini slow cooker. Using a digital temperature controller set to 160F I let it run for one full day (about 24 hours) with occasional stirring along with a tablespoon of sunflower lecithin. There was zero smell emitted. Then I let it cool for several hours. From there I removed the inside bowl and covered it with a plastic sheet and placed in the refrigerator for 2 days to continue to infuse without heat. (a variant of the "hashmouf" approach).

I strained out the oil not with a cheesecloth but rather with a potato ricer. If you aren't familiar it's like a giant garlic press; it makes the straining task alot easier and more effective. I reclaimed the most possible oil by transferring the oil and ABV into the potato ricer in steps, not all at once, and then moving it around inside the potato ricer with a spoon.

From there I began to mix the oil into a homemade brownies recipe using organic cacao, organic all purpose flour, vanilla, 2 eggs, coconut sugar and a tiny bit of baking powder. It's a simple recipe I found online; I simply substituted cacao for cocoa powder. (I'll never buy a boxed brownies mix again; this is much much better.)

I let the brownies bake for 30 minutes and then cool and into the freezer for a few hours.

I ate a small brownie last night and I was very high; it was the level of elevation that I was looking for.

And this ABV is at least one year old, but well stored.

The cost for this setup is about $45 for the mini slow cooker and the digital temperature controller - it's not very expensive.

It's only going to get better with fresher ABV or decarbed new bud.

Or both.

If you're not in a rush, if you're concerned about smell, if you don't want to spend close to 200 on a magical butter machine, etc., and/or if you happen to have these tools on hand, give this approach a shot - and let me know what you think and if you have any further tweaking suggestions.

If you can keep the material dry I think this is the best method for retaining all the good stuff from your cannabis

I was gifted an immersion heater and want to try this
Recommended 203f for an hour which is in between an ardent and the oven time wise

Would really like to hear all you have to say about the subject regarding experiences and recommendations
Of course only what you are comfortable divulging

This does not get enough attention and should just from the medicinal side

never tried 'the sous vide' method myself yet, so I will give this a try.
I need to make a new batch next week(running low now), so I will try it then.
The no smell sounds awesome, smells always make my paranoid, instead of enjoying the cooking with the herb.
Thank you @jeffp ,for the useful info.:headbang:

never tried 'the sous vide' method myself yet, so I will give this a try.
I need to make a new batch next week(running low now), so I will try it then.
The no smell sounds awesome, smells always make my paranoid, instead of enjoying the cooking with the herb.
Thank you @jeffp ,for the useful info.:headbang:

Have fun. The most labor intensive part of it is straining out the oil at the end. It takes some muscle to really get just about all of it out with a potato ricer and coffee filter. I infuse for about 6 hours at 195F. Search sousweed.com for decarb methods and temps. The decarb should be done in the bag with the air pumped out. Make sure the bag is clipped to the edge of the pot so it doesn't drop into the water. You can put a metal spoon in the bag to stop it from floating. For infusing I use a Ball jar that just about fills to the top with a half cup of oil and a half cup of decarbed bud. Don't tighten the jar heavily, just a little bit. When it's done let the jar sit in the water as it cools.

I've been playing around with very low heat extraction with no decarb. It is very hot in Phoenix with temps above 110 for over a week. If you've ever driven here in the summer you know how hot your car interior gets, about 180 degrees . I took an ounce of ABV and covered it in MCT oil and stuck it in the trunk of my car for 3 days, shaking it every day and keeping it away from any sunlight. I filtered it and was very surprised. It worked great. I took a spoonful and felt great. I attribute this to a long slow decarb period . I have some hemp working now, I have high hopes for . The heat is on till October here.... maybe November, so lots of time to play with :thumbsup: .

IMG_2586.jpg

I've been playing around with very low heat extraction with no decarb. It is very hot in Phoenix with temps above 110 for over a week. If you've ever driven here in the summer you know how hot your car interior gets, about 180 degrees . I took an ounce of ABV and covered it in MCT oil and stuck it in the trunk of my car for 3 days, shaking it every day and keeping it away from any sunlight. I filtered it and was very surprised. It worked great. I took a spoonful and felt great. I attribute this to a long slow decarb period . I have some hemp working now, I have high hopes for . The heat is on till October here.... maybe November, so lots of time to play with :thumbsup: .

View attachment 38415

One of the folks I learned my extraction methods from did get some ABV tested in a lab
It came out at 5% THC-A
So vaping is pretty efficient and leaves behind something that is a puzzle about how to extract
Exposure to heat to convert the last 5% thc-a and then extract who knows what kind of overcooked byproducts
Cold extraction and natural decarb (probably the best)
Heated solvent extraction and ......yuck!!!!!
The only salvageable part of the AVB is the thc-a
Everything else has been vaporized if you are vaping to get high
You can split your large amount of ABV and use the same solvent over and over through your process
Break it down into small batches and use the same solvent on every batch
May need to add some fresh solvent after each batch but not much

Not sure if I'm stating the obvious but :)
25 and 37 micron rosin press bags are good for filtering out the particles at the end.
You can use them like teabags which you can drop into the liquid you're infusing (and give it a jiggle periodically to help the infusion) and then put the bags in clamps or even in the rosin press to squeeze the last of the infused liquid out.

One of the folks I learned my extraction methods from did get some ABV tested in a lab
It came out at 5% THC-A
So vaping is pretty efficient and leaves behind something that is a puzzle about how to extract
Exposure to heat to convert the last 5% thc-a and then extract who knows what kind of overcooked byproducts
Cold extraction and natural decarb (probably the best)
Heated solvent extraction and ......yuck!!!!!
The only salvageable part of the AVB is the thc-a
Everything else has been vaporized if you are vaping to get high
You can split your large amount of ABV and use the same solvent over and over through your process
Break it down into small batches and use the same solvent on every batch
May need to add some fresh solvent after each batch but not much
We’ve wondered from day 1 exactly how much THC is left in the ABV / AVB / Volcano Poo produced by our Volcano. Finally, we had the opportunity to do some semi-scientific testing. The results are surprising – there is much more THC in the already been vaped bud than I would have imagined.

Here are the details:

1. We started with 2 grams of Golden Goat from our local dispensary, and finely ground the buds in a grinder.
  2. 4 samples were divided from the ground material, .5g each, with one reserved as a control.
  3. All 3 samples were vaporized at a setting of 6 (which equates to 190°c or 374°f) on a Volcano Classic with easy valve and a standard size bag.
  4. Method 1: Fill 4 bags.
    Method 2: Fill 6 bags.
    Method 3: Fill 3 bags, regrind with fingers, fill 3 more bags
  5. Samples were analyzed by LuvBud from Fort Collins, Colorado.
Unsurprisingly method 3 extracted the most THC from the herb. All of the methods completely extracted all the terpenes, which explains the rapidly declining flavor profile the further you go.

Bottom line, our most efficiently extracted sample still contained 48% of the THC available in the sample. Even after 6 bags with stirring in the middle, the potency of the leftovers is 9.34%. That means 1 gram of ABV of this strain potentially has 93mg of THC, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Real easy to find other tests on google, do some research. I get it, you do ethanol extraction, I'm happy for you. But don't scoff at something you haven't researched, or even tried. I don't like ethanol period. Long slow decarb is something I'm experimenting with . I've had very good results that I'm happy to share, just like other folk on the forum . :peace:

We’ve wondered from day 1 exactly how much THC is left in the ABV / AVB / Volcano Poo produced by our Volcano. Finally, we had the opportunity to do some semi-scientific testing. The results are surprising – there is much more THC in the already been vaped bud than I would have imagined.

Here are the details:

1. We started with 2 grams of Golden Goat from our local dispensary, and finely ground the buds in a grinder.
  2. 4 samples were divided from the ground material, .5g each, with one reserved as a control.
  3. All 3 samples were vaporized at a setting of 6 (which equates to 190°c or 374°f) on a Volcano Classic with easy valve and a standard size bag.
  4. Method 1: Fill 4 bags.
    Method 2: Fill 6 bags.
    Method 3: Fill 3 bags, regrind with fingers, fill 3 more bags
  5. Samples were analyzed by LuvBud from Fort Collins, Colorado.
Unsurprisingly method 3 extracted the most THC from the herb. All of the methods completely extracted all the terpenes, which explains the rapidly declining flavor profile the further you go.

Bottom line, our most efficiently extracted sample still contained 48% of the THC available in the sample. Even after 6 bags with stirring in the middle, the potency of the leftovers is 9.34%. That means 1 gram of ABV of this strain potentially has 93mg of THC, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Real easy to find other tests on google, do some research. I get it, you do ethanol extraction, I'm happy for you. But don't scoff at something you haven't researched, or even tried. I don't like ethanol period. Long slow decarb is something I'm experimenting with . I've had very good results that I'm happy to share, just like other folk on the forfo

One set of results from one vaporizer
This would need to be repeated many many times over a period of time to begin to gather data to analyze
Now factor in all the different vapes and all the different temps

I've tried and mastered every method of extraction except bho which I find cumbersome to attempt

I get it you think I'm an idiot

No need to respond
I'm done

One set of results from one vaporizer
This would need to be repeated many many times over a period of time to begin to gather data to analyze
Now factor in all the different vapes and all the different temps

I've tried and mastered every method of extraction except bho which I find cumbersome to attempt

I get it you think I'm an idiot

No need to respond
I'm done
:rofl:Nope, not an idiot, just someone who knows it all .

I had 3-cups of ABV from Last 3 months.
Found a Recipe to make Cannabis-infused oil on CannabisHardware.com/Company/Blog.
Bought 1/2Liter(16.9 ounces ) of Organic MCT Coconut oil .
Used a 1:1 Ratio ABV To Oil as per Recipe.
Grabbed my favorite Cookie-mix,Mix with Raisins and chocolate chips,Added brown sugar,Granulated Sugar,Vanilla and flour to enlarge the OG cookie mix. Used the Cannabis-Infused Oil in place of oil Or Butter called for in Recipe.

* I baked at 350 Fahrenheit for about 14 minutes and that was a little too much -next time I will drop it down to 10 minutes at 350°F for softer cookies although I did enjoy the crisped ends of the cookies.
I ate 3 or 4 cookies from tablespoon sized dough-mix Bake Last Night .

Here I am A Keyboard-commando At 9:20 AM Instead of my usual 6-7 AM-what happened?Cheers!

Very Sedating!

Last edited:
I had 3-cups of ABV from Last 3 months.
Found a Recipe to make Cannabis-infused oil on CannabisHardware.com/Company/Blog.
Bought 1/2Liter(16.9 ounces ) of Organic MCT Coconut oil .
Used a 1:1 Ratio ABV To Oil as per Recipe.
Grabbed my favorite Cookie-mix,Mix with Raisins and chocolate chips,Added brown sugar,Granulated Sugar,Vanilla and flour to enlarge the OG cookie mix. Used the Cannabis-Infused Oil in place of oil Or Butter called for in Recipe.

* I baked at 350 Fahrenheit for about 14 minutes and that was a little too much -next time I will drop it down to 10 minutes at 350°F for softer cookies although I did enjoy the crisped ends of the cookies.
I ate 3 or 4 cookies from tablespoon sized dough-mix Bake Last Night .

Here I am A Keyboard-commando At 9:20 AM Instead of my usual 6-7 AM-what happened?Cheers!

Very Sedating!
Hoping not to be off thread,Can I atomize/vaporize the cannabis oil mentioned above? ?
having coconut oil and not ethylene glycol or vegetable oil of some sort as the distillate?
or just stay with baking.
going to read entire post may be answered there.

Last edited:
Another infusion method i've played around with, with ABV, that garnered good results is the "cold infusion" method.
It's beyond simple and although i haven't infused this way in a few years i remember the steps:
Run one half cup of ABV in a coffee grinder (or a mortar and pestle or whatever) to turn to powder, and then dump into a mason jar.
Add a half cup of oil to the mason jar.
Shake seal and store away away from light and heat for about a week or 10 days, while shaking the jar every day.
And then it's done!
I had never sensed the need to strain out whatever remaining plant matter remained, especially after a long history of firecrackers abuse, I simply poured the infused oil into a cookie or brownie mix and was always really happy with the results.
In my case, living where there's real winters, I did the cold infusion with the jar sitting on a coffee cup warmer to prevent solidification when necessary.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back