Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Add cannabis oil or butter to your recipe

CarolKing

Always in search of the perfect vaporizer
I sometimes make dishes and desserts with medicated oil or butter. Depending on what you like or what you're making often you can incorporate it in your recipe making sure that you don't have your stove or oven on too hot. Keeping the temp below 340 degrees so you don't destroy any THC.

Peanut butter, chocolate and bananas do a good job of covering the taste of cannabis in sweet types of recipes. It's easy to add medicated butter or coconut oil.

Casseroles and dishes requiring sauces especially tomato based recipes it's easy to add medicated olive oil and canola oil. Different spices do a good job of covering the cannabis taste.

Next time when wanting to eat a medicated edible try adding it to your favorite recipe. Try adding it to your banana bread or your lasagna recipe next time when the mood strikes you.

Never play a joke on someone and not tell them that they are eating a cannabis edible. Some folks can't tolerate using cannabis or have a very low tolerance. It would be cruel and wreck less.

This is a good recipe. I used ground hamburger but you could add sausage. I used just the ricotta cheese. You can add more medicated olive oil.
Great Edibles Recipes: Classic Cannabis Lasagna

Cassidy Wolfe
Great-Edibles-Recipes-Classic-Cannabis-Lasagna-Weedist-640x425.jpg
Lasagna is a classic Italian-style dish that has delicious noodles, meat and Italian cheeses all layered into a perfect stack-able pasta casserole. This medicated recipe features an ooey, gooey lasagna made with ground turkey, fresh lasagna noodles and three cheeses to yield a meal that makes your head, heart and stomach happy.

Serves 6-8

Here’s What You Need:
  • 1 lb ground organic turkey (you may substitute beef)
  • 3 tablespoons cannabis-infused extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion (finely diced)
  • 2 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 (8 oz) jar of tomato sauce
  • 1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
  • 1 (8 oz) box of no-boil lasagna noodles
  • 2 large organic eggs
  • 1½ cups cottage cheese
  • ½ cup ricotta cheese
  • ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons fresh parsley (chopped)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (8 oz) bag shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 (8 oz) bag shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Classic Cannabis Lasagna
To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Next, lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2″ baking dish (or something of similar size and depth) with some nonstick cooking spray.

Then, heat up 3 tablespoons of cannabis-infused extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-low heat (you don’t want the oil to smoke).

After, dice the onions, mince the garlic, and chop the parsley.

Then, add the diced onions and minced garlic to your hot skillet. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper and stir well to combine.

Proceed to add in the ground turkey meat, stirring with a wooden spoon to ensure that all the ground turkey is broken up some.

Continue to cook the ground turkey and onions, crumbling the meat up as you cook it, until all of the meat has been browned.

After the turkey meat is finished cooking, drain any excess fat from the skillet into a disposable heat-safe container (I like to save old coffee cans for this reason. Pouring grease down your drain can cause clogs later).

Once the fat has been drained, add the can of stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Put your skillet back on the stove top over medium-heat.

Stir well, and then place the lid on your skillet and allow the contents to simmer for 15 minutes. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.

Then, in a large bowl, beat the 2 eggs and then proceed to add in the 1½ cups cottage cheese, ½ cup ricotta cheese, ½ cup of Parmesan cheese (the remaining ¼ cup will be used to crown the lasagna), 2 teaspoons of chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt, and your remaining ½ teaspoon of black pepper. Stir well to combine.

After, spread a thin layer of meat sauce on the bottom of your prepped baking dish and proceed to lay the lasagna noodles over top, making sure to overlap the noodles by ½”.

Then, spread a thicker layer of the cottage-cheese mixture (using anywhere from one-third to one-half of the total mixture) over top the layer of lasagna noodles. Crown the cottage-cheese layer with half of the shredded mozzarella cheese as well as half of the shredded cheddar cheese.

After, pour more of the meat sauce on top of the cheese layer and repeat the layering process in the same order until your dish is full.

Finally, sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese over the top of the lasagna dish.

Bake the lasagna for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheeses are completely melted and the sauce is hot and bubbling around the edges.

Carefully remove the dish from the oven and allow the lasagna to cool for 10 minutes before cutting and plating.

Serve this lasagna with your favorite type of fresh bread and enjoy!

Check out other posts from Weedist’s Great Edibles Recipes series!

This is a good recipe. I used ground hamburger but you could add sausage. I used just the ricotta cheese. You can add more medicated olive oil.
Great Edibles Recipes: Classic Cannabis Lasagna

Cassidy Wolfe
Great-Edibles-Recipes-Classic-Cannabis-Lasagna-Weedist-640x425.jpg
Lasagna is a classic Italian-style dish that has delicious noodles, meat and Italian cheeses all layered into a perfect stack-able pasta casserole. This medicated recipe features an ooey, gooey lasagna made with ground turkey, fresh lasagna noodles and three cheeses to yield a meal that makes your head, heart and stomach happy.

Serves 6-8

Here’s What You Need:
  • 1 lb ground organic turkey (you may substitute beef)
  • 3 tablespoons cannabis-infused extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion (finely diced)
  • 2 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 (8 oz) jar of tomato sauce
  • 1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
  • 1 (8 oz) box of no-boil lasagna noodles
  • 2 large organic eggs
  • 1½ cups cottage cheese
  • ½ cup ricotta cheese
  • ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons fresh parsley (chopped)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (8 oz) bag shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 (8 oz) bag shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Classic Cannabis Lasagna
To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Next, lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2″ baking dish (or something of similar size and depth) with some nonstick cooking spray.

Then, heat up 3 tablespoons of cannabis-infused extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-low heat (you don’t want the oil to smoke).

After, dice the onions, mince the garlic, and chop the parsley.

Then, add the diced onions and minced garlic to your hot skillet. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper and stir well to combine.

Proceed to add in the ground turkey meat, stirring with a wooden spoon to ensure that all the ground turkey is broken up some.

Continue to cook the ground turkey and onions, crumbling the meat up as you cook it, until all of the meat has been browned.

After the turkey meat is finished cooking, drain any excess fat from the skillet into a disposable heat-safe container (I like to save old coffee cans for this reason. Pouring grease down your drain can cause clogs later).

Once the fat has been drained, add the can of stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Put your skillet back on the stove top over medium-heat.

Stir well, and then place the lid on your skillet and allow the contents to simmer for 15 minutes. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.

Then, in a large bowl, beat the 2 eggs and then proceed to add in the 1½ cups cottage cheese, ½ cup ricotta cheese, ½ cup of Parmesan cheese (the remaining ¼ cup will be used to crown the lasagna), 2 teaspoons of chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt, and your remaining ½ teaspoon of black pepper. Stir well to combine.

After, spread a thin layer of meat sauce on the bottom of your prepped baking dish and proceed to lay the lasagna noodles over top, making sure to overlap the noodles by ½”.

Then, spread a thicker layer of the cottage-cheese mixture (using anywhere from one-third to one-half of the total mixture) over top the layer of lasagna noodles. Crown the cottage-cheese layer with half of the shredded mozzarella cheese as well as half of the shredded cheddar cheese.

After, pour more of the meat sauce on top of the cheese layer and repeat the layering process in the same order until your dish is full.

Finally, sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese over the top of the lasagna dish.

Bake the lasagna for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheeses are completely melted and the sauce is hot and bubbling around the edges.

Carefully remove the dish from the oven and allow the lasagna to cool for 10 minutes before cutting and plating.

Serve this lasagna with your favorite type of fresh bread and enjoy!

Check out other posts from Weedist’s Great Edibles Recipes series!

Now that's a St. Josephs day meal!!:hungry:

Wish I could make one, but i cant...:scream:

Sleepy time Hot Cocoa
For nighttime, sleep and pain.

Hot Cocoa mix
Whole Milk 12 oz
Small pan
Whipping cream
Already been vaped cannabis (ABV) cannabis with some lighter flakes not just dark brown. About 1 tablespoon depending on the person. If in doubt start with a teaspoon.
Cheesecloth or fine jar top strainer

In a small pan mix milk with your ABV . Heat on low on the stovetop for about 40 min or so.
Stir occasionally, making sure it isn't boiling.
Take off the stove and strain. You can use cheesecloth or a fine jar strainer. Then prepare as you would hot cocoa. Top with the whipped cream.
Relax and enjoy. ABV is very sedating most of the time, so that's why I said for nighttime. It can take anywhere from 40 min to 2-3 hours to kick in. Don't plan anything like driving or taking care of small children.

Last edited:
weed-french-toast.jpg

This recipe just adds the canna butter to a typical French toast recipe.

Weed French Toast
Posted on January 4, 2015 in Breakfast, Snacks

Ever tried Marijuana French toast for breakfast? If smoke up is the first thing you do in the morning then don’t. Hold on till this delicious breakfast is ready and then you’ll be able to have breakfast and get stoned at the same time. This is the best way to begin the morning that combines into a good treat for the body and which blows your mind too.

Ingredients

• 1 French baguette
  • 1 and ½ tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons canna butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • powdered sugar

Equipment:

• Baking dish 13 x 9 inches
  • Knife
  • spoon
  • Small mixing bowl
  • Medium mixing bowl
  • Whisk
  • Measuring spoons
  • Dish cover
Directions

Lightly butter the baking dish. Cut the baguette crosswise at an angle to make 8 pieces. Each slice should be at least ¾ inches thick. Keep aside. In a small bowl cream the two kinds of butters till they are thoroughly combined. Now spread this butter on one side of each of the 8 slices. Now arrange these 8 slices, butter side up, into the greased baking dish.

In a separate mixing bowl add the eggs, milk, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla and salt. Whisk the ingredients till they blend. Pour this mixture over the bread and allow the slices to soak it up by pressing it down on it with a spoon. Cover the dish and refrigerate for 8 hours.

When you wish to have your Baked Marijuana French Toast, preheat the oven to 350°F. Once heated uncover the dish and place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the tops turn golden brown. Dust them with powdered sugar and enjoy the power. The potent baked marijuana

I'm just sticking this here since I don't have an actual recipe. And omg.... Saw this on the Magical Butter group on FB and I have to get off this computer because I cannot keep seeing pictures like this. I have a serious case of the munchies.

Blueberry Bacon Canna~Pancakes... made with infused coconut oil and cooked in infused coconut oil and bacon fat mixture....1 cup Organic Buttermilk Honey Pancake Mix..2 tbsp. canna~coconut oil...1/2 cup water...1 egg..2 tbsp infused maple syrup...add blueberries and crumbled crispy bacon..lightly medicated lol....drizzled in infused maple syrup..

reIgxap.jpg

stuffedpeppers-600x400.jpg

This recipe is a great way to enjoy the produce still available at the end of the summer season.

Stuffed peppers are one hearty dish that is sure to fully satisfy any hungry belly. This is the perfect dish to enjoy late-harvest summer peppers as the seasons begin to shift. When looking for a strain to pair with this hearty dish my instincts naturally went towards one of my all-time favorites, Lamb’s Bread, for its sweet, yet spicy and yeast like undertones. I felt the flavor profiles of the strain complimented the ingredients of the dish rather well.

Lamb’s Bread produces an energetic, euphoric and creative high. This is the perfect strain to manage depression, creative slumps, chronic migraines, PTSD and ADD/ADHD. Enjoy during lunch or dinner hours for optimal delight and comfort.

Mise en place:
1 pound ground beef

4 deseeded green peppers

1 small sweet onion chopped

1 cup cooked brown rice

1 cup water

½ cup raisins

4 tablespoons Lamb’s Bread cannabutter

4 tablespoons pine nuts

4 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons minced garlic

Leaves from 2-3 sprigs of mint

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

Olive oil to drizzle

1 can crushed tomatoes (optional)

Plain yogurt and mint leaves for topping

Directions:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Add the ground beef, chopped sweet onion, cooked brown rice, raisins, pine nuts, brown sugar, minced garlic, mint leaves, sea salt and pepper.

Step 2: Drizzle olive oil over this mixture then mix thoroughly with your hands.

Step 3: Start with one pepper by stuffing it with this meat rice mixture half way.

Step 4: Evenly spread 1 tablespoon of canna-butter over the mixture.

Step 5: Finish filling in the pepper till the mixture reaches the top.

Step 6: Repeat for each pepper that is left.

Step 7: Add the peppers to a baking dish and add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the dish. If desired, add 1 can of crushed tomatoes to the water and stir until combined.

Step 8: Cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour.

Step 9: Remove the foil and cook uncovered for another 15-20 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked and the peppers are soft.

Step 10: Garnish the top with a few tablespoons of the crushed tomatoes, then plain yogurt and lastly a few mint leaves. Enjoy!

Dosage:
Lamb’s Bread can test between 16-21 percent THC, so do the math accordingly when making a cup of cannabutter. If one gram of Lamb’s Bread tests at 20 percent THC, 20 percent of 1,000 mg would be 200 mg. Therefore dose each tablespoon in the cup according to how many milligrams you wish to have. Remember there are 16 tablespoons in a measuring cup.

Strain Suggestions:
I would recommend strains that possess spicy, woodsy, dairy, or yeast like aromas and flavors. Alternative strains would be Dairy Queen, Sour Cream, Mr. Nice, or Sputnick are great choices. If you do not have any of these strains, fret not! Add a strain that has similar or complementary flavors of the ingredients in the dish. Play around with it and have fun!

I found this recipe online. I personally wouldn't add raisins.

For those of us who dab during the day for other symptoms and require cannabis as sleep medicine, cooking your reclaim and AVB into whatever oil/butter you're using in your meal as in this thread is something I very highly recommend. It has saved me a tremendous amount of full melt and rosin!

10 Common Marijuana Cooking Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
BY CHERI SICARD ON FEBRUARY 19, 2017

Avoid these marijuana cooking mistakes and put yourself well on the road to making great tasting potent marijuana edibles!

1. Over grinding the plant material when making marijuana butter or cannabis oil.
For some reason the majority of internet sites tell people to finely grind the marijuana being used to infuse marijuana butter or cannabis oil. There is even a commercially made electronic gadget for making marijuana butter that includes a built in electric grinder. I have never understood this advice. If you want better tasting edibles, DO NOT FINELY GRIND THE MARIJUANA! What you are trying the extract, the plant’s resinous trichomes, are ON the buds and leaves not IN them! All grinding accomplishes is to put more plant material into the finished product which in turn increases green color and unwanted herbal flavors.

2. Not adding water when infusing cannabutter or marijuana oil.
OK, this one isn’t a mistake as there is more than one way to infuse. Some people do not like to add water to the mix, but I do. Especially on the stovetop, the water will help things infuse at a lower temperature and avoid things burning and scorching which will result in unappetizing taste and THC that’s rendered useless by being cooked at too high a temperature. The water also helps with appearance and flavor by washing away some of the green color and strong herbal flavor. The photo at the right shows marijuana butter made with and without water in the mix and marijuana oil made with and without water. The same type and amount of marijuana was used for each of the infusions in the exact same amount. In all instances there was a better final yield when using water, and a lighter color and less herbal flavor. The amount of water is not important, but I always add at least as much water as butter or oil. I do this even when infusing in the slow cooker. Click to find instructions for how to make marijuana butter and cannabis oil.

3. Cooking marijuana at too high a temperature.
Generally speaking, lower cooking temperatures are better. THC is completely degraded at temperatures in excess of 392 degrees F although it starts to break down long before that. Since water boiling never gets above 212 degrees F, I always recommend adding water when making cannabis infusions (see point 2 above). You will also need to pay attention to cooking temperatures when using the infused butter and oils, or when cooking with marijuana concentrates. Do not use infused marijuana oils for direct sautéing for frying. If you are making something battered, make sure the medicated part is inside the batter. You can cook at oven temperatures up to 375 degrees F, as the food itself will not get that hot.

4. Not decarboxylating the cannabis first.
While too much heat will kill your THC, some heat is necessary. Most people do not realize the raw cannabis plant contains no THC at all. It does contain THC-A (or THC-acid). It takes the process of adding heat or decarboxylation to make the chemical reaction that converts THC-A to THC. If you are infusing butter or oil, decarboxylation is taken care of in the process of infusion, mostly. But lab tests show that even when making infusions, decarbing first will up the percentage of THC extracted. If you are cooking with kief you will need to decarboxylate first. I recommend this step when cooking with hash too, as it can help maximize THC potency. Simply put your concentrates in an ovenproof dish or your crumbled plant material on a baking sheet and heat for about 20 minutes at 250 degrees F. Once decarboxylated the marijuana or concentrates are ready to cook with.

5. Adding too much cannabis/over medicating.
There is no easier way to ingest too much marijuana than by eating it. Sometimes people are impatient and think “it’s not working” and eat more. By the time it all kicks in they have overdone it. While “overdoses” are not dangerous in that they are never fatal, they won’t shut down your organs, they can make you feel anxious, paranoid, and/or disoriented. Dosing edibles is somewhat of an art, a lot of factors need to be taken into consideration and people’s tolerances run a wide range. An amount that one person does not even physically feel might be enough to make someone else experience couch-lock for hours. When cooking with marijuana, especially new plant material you are not familiar with, it’s a good idea to vape or smoke a little to get general idea of its potency. Keep in mind that cooking can intensify potency somewhat. If you do find a batch of your edibles is more potent than you intended the remedy is easy – eat less! Learn more about dosing when cooking with marijuana at this link.

6. Adding too little marijuana/undermedicating.
Likewise, if you ever find yourself with a weak batch of food, eat more! If you make a batch of infused butter or oil that is less potent than you’d like, you can always augment it later by heating gently to dissolve some decarboxylated kief or hash into it before using in recipes. I know marijuana is an expensive ingredient and the natural urge is to use as little as possible. But think of it this way, you can always eat smaller portions, but if your batch of edibles does not deliver, there’s no way to avoid disappointment. I won’t say that you “wasted” the weed as you will still be getting medicinal benefits even if you don’t feel high, but if you were expecting/desiring a buzz and you use too little, then you certainly did not put your plant material to its optimal use. Learn more about dosing at this link.

7. Not paying attention to portion size.
If you don’t know how many portions your recipe makes, it will be difficult to determine how much medicine to add. To get a proper dose divide the total amount of cannabis or infused marijuana butter or oil in the entire recipe to achieve an amount that usually works for you. Exercise will power if necessary.

8. Improperly Incorporating Concentrates
Cooking with kief is a joy. Its fine texture allows it dissolve almost instantly in warm (and sometimes even cold) liquids and other ingredients like mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream and more. Hash can be a little trickier. It can come in many textures from dry and crumbly to sticky and putty-like. Dry hash can be sent through a small food processor or coffee grinder to turn it into a fine powder. You can even use a mortar and pestle for this. The sticky variety is best heated in a liquid until it dissolves. Even so, hash can sometimes leave a slight gritty texture, which is why when given the choice, I choose kief. Learn more about cooking with hash and kief here.

9. Using too delicate a hand with seasonings.
Most people do not like the green herbal flavor of marijuana shining through their foods. Likewise recipes with lots of spices and flavors going on tend to mask this better than delicate and subtle fare. Use as much or a little more seasoning and flavor adding ingredients (such as onion and garlic) when cooking with cannabis than you would if you were cooking without marijuana.

10. Believing brownies, cookies and sweets are the only foods suitable as marijuana edibles.
The number of people who think that sweets are the only kind of edibles you can make with marijuana consistently surprises me. The fact is most any food can be infused with cannabis. In fact, it is usually easier to hide the green herbal flavor that most people don’t like in spicy and/or savory foods. There are lots of terrific cannabis cookbooks on the market to help you expand you cannabis culinary repertoire, including my own Cannabis Gourmet Cookbook. You can also find lots of recipes, both savory and sweet, on this blog.

How long will canna coconut oil last or stay”fresh.” I’m guessing it would fare better than non clarified butter. I’m thinking about making my own edibles and canna caps.

Coconut oil and ghee have a long shelf life. I don’t know how the addition of flower and lecithin affect that.

Also, if I have some rosin, can I just decarb it in my Lyft as well (in a mini silicone container/case) and dump it all in the MBM? I bought the mbm a while ago but never used it.

I’m on a very low fat diet so I might just try tincture first anyway.

How long will canna coconut oil last or stay”fresh.” I’m guessing it would fare better than non clarified butter.
It lasts much longer than butter. It should be kept in a cool place like the fridge or a cool pantry. And I'd say for consumption 6 months plus is the shelf life. But I've had coconut oil last longer; whereas I've had butter mold up in the fridge after a month.

Also, if I have some rosin, can I just decarb it in my Lyft as well (in a mini silicone container/case) and dump it all in the MBM?
Indeed you can. Or you can add it into butter or coconut oil that's already been infused (since it's decarbed).

10 Common Marijuana Cooking Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
BY CHERI SICARD ON FEBRUARY 19, 2017

Avoid these marijuana cooking mistakes and put yourself well on the road to making great tasting potent marijuana edibles!

1. Over grinding the plant material when making marijuana butter or cannabis oil.
For some reason the majority of internet sites tell people to finely grind the marijuana being used to infuse marijuana butter or cannabis oil. There is even a commercially made electronic gadget for making marijuana butter that includes a built in electric grinder. I have never understood this advice. If you want better tasting edibles, DO NOT FINELY GRIND THE MARIJUANA! What you are trying the extract, the plant’s resinous trichomes, are ON the buds and leaves not IN them! All grinding accomplishes is to put more plant material into the finished product which in turn increases green color and unwanted herbal flavors.

2. Not adding water when infusing cannabutter or marijuana oil.
OK, this one isn’t a mistake as there is more than one way to infuse. Some people do not like to add water to the mix, but I do. Especially on the stovetop, the water will help things infuse at a lower temperature and avoid things burning and scorching which will result in unappetizing taste and THC that’s rendered useless by being cooked at too high a temperature. The water also helps with appearance and flavor by washing away some of the green color and strong herbal flavor. The photo at the right shows marijuana butter made with and without water in the mix and marijuana oil made with and without water. The same type and amount of marijuana was used for each of the infusions in the exact same amount. In all instances there was a better final yield when using water, and a lighter color and less herbal flavor. The amount of water is not important, but I always add at least as much water as butter or oil. I do this even when infusing in the slow cooker. Click to find instructions for how to make marijuana butter and cannabis oil.

3. Cooking marijuana at too high a temperature.
Generally speaking, lower cooking temperatures are better. THC is completely degraded at temperatures in excess of 392 degrees F although it starts to break down long before that. Since water boiling never gets above 212 degrees F, I always recommend adding water when making cannabis infusions (see point 2 above). You will also need to pay attention to cooking temperatures when using the infused butter and oils, or when cooking with marijuana concentrates. Do not use infused marijuana oils for direct sautéing for frying. If you are making something battered, make sure the medicated part is inside the batter. You can cook at oven temperatures up to 375 degrees F, as the food itself will not get that hot.

4. Not decarboxylating the cannabis first.
While too much heat will kill your THC, some heat is necessary. Most people do not realize the raw cannabis plant contains no THC at all. It does contain THC-A (or THC-acid). It takes the process of adding heat or decarboxylation to make the chemical reaction that converts THC-A to THC. If you are infusing butter or oil, decarboxylation is taken care of in the process of infusion, mostly. But lab tests show that even when making infusions, decarbing first will up the percentage of THC extracted. If you are cooking with kief you will need to decarboxylate first. I recommend this step when cooking with hash too, as it can help maximize THC potency. Simply put your concentrates in an ovenproof dish or your crumbled plant material on a baking sheet and heat for about 20 minutes at 250 degrees F. Once decarboxylated the marijuana or concentrates are ready to cook with.

5. Adding too much cannabis/over medicating.
There is no easier way to ingest too much marijuana than by eating it. Sometimes people are impatient and think “it’s not working” and eat more. By the time it all kicks in they have overdone it. While “overdoses” are not dangerous in that they are never fatal, they won’t shut down your organs, they can make you feel anxious, paranoid, and/or disoriented. Dosing edibles is somewhat of an art, a lot of factors need to be taken into consideration and people’s tolerances run a wide range. An amount that one person does not even physically feel might be enough to make someone else experience couch-lock for hours. When cooking with marijuana, especially new plant material you are not familiar with, it’s a good idea to vape or smoke a little to get general idea of its potency. Keep in mind that cooking can intensify potency somewhat. If you do find a batch of your edibles is more potent than you intended the remedy is easy – eat less! Learn more about dosing when cooking with marijuana at this link.

6. Adding too little marijuana/undermedicating.
Likewise, if you ever find yourself with a weak batch of food, eat more! If you make a batch of infused butter or oil that is less potent than you’d like, you can always augment it later by heating gently to dissolve some decarboxylated kief or hash into it before using in recipes. I know marijuana is an expensive ingredient and the natural urge is to use as little as possible. But think of it this way, you can always eat smaller portions, but if your batch of edibles does not deliver, there’s no way to avoid disappointment. I won’t say that you “wasted” the weed as you will still be getting medicinal benefits even if you don’t feel high, but if you were expecting/desiring a buzz and you use too little, then you certainly did not put your plant material to its optimal use. Learn more about dosing at this link.

7. Not paying attention to portion size.
If you don’t know how many portions your recipe makes, it will be difficult to determine how much medicine to add. To get a proper dose divide the total amount of cannabis or infused marijuana butter or oil in the entire recipe to achieve an amount that usually works for you. Exercise will power if necessary.

8. Improperly Incorporating Concentrates
Cooking with kief is a joy. Its fine texture allows it dissolve almost instantly in warm (and sometimes even cold) liquids and other ingredients like mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream and more. Hash can be a little trickier. It can come in many textures from dry and crumbly to sticky and putty-like. Dry hash can be sent through a small food processor or coffee grinder to turn it into a fine powder. You can even use a mortar and pestle for this. The sticky variety is best heated in a liquid until it dissolves. Even so, hash can sometimes leave a slight gritty texture, which is why when given the choice, I choose kief. Learn more about cooking with hash and kief here.

9. Using too delicate a hand with seasonings.
Most people do not like the green herbal flavor of marijuana shining through their foods. Likewise recipes with lots of spices and flavors going on tend to mask this better than delicate and subtle fare. Use as much or a little more seasoning and flavor adding ingredients (such as onion and garlic) when cooking with cannabis than you would if you were cooking without marijuana.

10. Believing brownies, cookies and sweets are the only foods suitable as marijuana edibles.
The number of people who think that sweets are the only kind of edibles you can make with marijuana consistently surprises me. The fact is most any food can be infused with cannabis. In fact, it is usually easier to hide the green herbal flavor that most people don’t like in spicy and/or savory foods. There are lots of terrific cannabis cookbooks on the market to help you expand you cannabis culinary repertoire, including my own Cannabis Gourmet Cookbook. You can also find lots of recipes, both savory and sweet, on this blog.
Number 1 would seem to contra-indicated Canna flour? Good point though, when I first made Canna butter I ground too much, not wanting to not do enough. Thanks for the book suggestion. Amazon says I'll have it soon, and all I had to do is give them money. What a wonderful world.

Number 1 would seem to contra-indicated Canna flour?
I see what you are saying... but what they were inferring to was in regard to infusing butter or oils. And more in regards to the taste of your edibles... not the strength.

For flour, I don't know what other way you could infuse it. And to use an infused flower, it would need to be the right consistency.

lol.. I just medicated. I hope I'm making myself clear.

I see what you are saying... but what they were inferring to was in regard to infusing butter or oils. And more in regards to the taste of your edibles... not the strength.

For flour, I don't know what other way you could infuse it. And to use an infused flower, it would need to be the right consistency.

lol.. I just medicated. I hope I'm making myself clear.
Mom, I'm sure you will understand when I say I'm going to get baked. You invariably express yourself well, and considering you wrangle stoners on the internet and run a clean and classy site, I now bow down to you. Lack of clarity, I find, often lurks around around the Devil's Weed, and you must deal with ours as well as your own.

I love cannabis, and I love cooking, so thanks to everyone contributing!

I consider myself exceedingly lucky, because I find I *like* the flavor of cannabis, especially in butter. I like to slather it on hot biscuits with a little honey (orange blossom and tupelo are my favorites for flavor).

Personally, I don’t trust coconut oil: the MCT component isn’t really bioavailable, according to the latest research I’ve seen, and it’s overall more difficult for the body to deal with than our old friend milkfat. I consume considerable dietary fat, so I’m particular about not becoming a cardiac patient (and, honestly, I love disappointing cardiologists, who are *certain* I’m a coronary waiting to happen).

I’m also one of those weird-edible-dosage types. Recently received a hash-oil lollipop , and was strictly warned that they would kick my ass if I tried to eat a whole one. Took it slow with the first, had the second all in one go...now thinking I ought to try TWO of them, ‘cause I got nada....

I really am one who needs more cannabis than I can afford to buy...(moment of clarity)

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back