Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy And What Is The Deal With Extraterrestrials? Why Do They Have To Be So ... Extra?

Kate. At it again.

Just try to watch this sketch without laughing. Try it.

Kate's sitting position. The mom jeans. With her legs spread. And her ... uh... well I really shouldn't say. You ladies will get it. It starts with a G.

Sierra is jealous of my crush on her.

I've known plenty of comedians in my time. This idea that men's minds go to darker places than women ... it's a fucking myth. The sickest darkest weirdest shit I've ever heard came out of women's mouths. That shit gets dark. And also fucking hilarious.

Ladyfriend and I have been watching random X-Files episodes. I decided to wait on this ep for a while because it's by far the best episode of the series.

It was written by Darin Morgan. He's one of the best writers you've never heard of.

He wrote 4 episodes of the original run, and these eps are widely considered the 4 best of the series.

He also wrote 2 of the revival eps. One of them could be the best episode ever of the series, and the other could be the second best. He's incredible.

Anyway. This one is season 3. I think the 20th ep of that season. It had Sierra in stitches. Until the end. Then she got really quiet and needed to be alone for a while. It's got a lot going on in it.

Astronomers discover largest group of ‘rogue planets’ yet​

‘Several billion of these free-floating giants’ could exist
By Jasmine Hicks Dec 23, 2021, 1:39pm EST

artist’s impression of a rogue planet in space
An artist’s impression of a rogue planet Image: ESO/M. Kornmesser

Astronomers just discovered a treasure trove of “rogue planets” — free-floating planets that don’t orbit a star but exist all by their lonesome in the depths of space. With masses comparable to that of Jupiter, the 70 or more rogue planets spotted throughout the Milky Way galaxy are the largest such group of cosmic nomads ever found.
Located within the Scorpius and Ophiuchus constellations, the planets were spotted using a suite of telescopes on both the ground and in space. Typically, rogue planets are difficult to image because they aren’t close to any stars to make them visible. However, with data compiled over 20 years from European Southern Observatory (ESO) telescopes, the European Space Agency’s Gaia satellite, and more, Núria Miret-Roig, an astronomer at the Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de Bordeaux, France and the University of Vienna, Austria, and her team were able to capture faint heat signatures emitted from planets that formed within the last several million years.
The team published its findings on Wednesday in Nature Astronomy.
eso2120c.jpeg
Location of discovered rogue planets Image: ESO/N. Risinger (skysurvey.org)
Despite the record-breaking observation, their findings suggest that far more rogue planets are waiting to be seen.
“There could be several billions of these free-floating giant planets roaming freely in the Milky Way without a host star,” Hervé Bouy, an astronomer at the Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de Bordeaux, France and co-author on the study, said in a press release.
The discovery is a step toward figuring out how these mysterious objects form in space, according to an ESO press release. It’s possible rogue planets initially formed around stars before being violently ejected from their solar system. Alternatively, they could have formed from collapsing gas clouds too small to lead to the birth of a new star.
Astronomers are currently awaiting completion of ESO’s Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), a giant observatory that will play a “crucial” part in finding further information about rogue planets, according to Bouy. The ELT is set to begin observations at the end of the decade.

Thanks for the post. Rogue planets have interested me symbolically for a while now. The idea of a planet just out there rotating pointlessly, alone, and for no reason, interests me. Makes me wonder what they might be hiding, or wanting to share but they've got no star to share it with. Or maybe they're just dead planets with no purpose anymore. Maybe they're a Pluto just desperate to be noticed. It would be fascinating to visit one.

It also brings up a topic close to home, for me. I don't know if it's science teachers' ineptitude, or their lack of caring, or the students not listening, or whatever, but the younger folks, for the most part, don't understand shit about space.

I'm no scientist. Not by a damn sight. But the other night, I had to explain to a group of 20 somethings that the Sun is not stationary. That everything in our solar system is revolving at all times. Plus, I had to explain that our solar system is NOT the Milky Way Galaxy. It's a tiny portion of it. I even had to bring heliocentrism into it. I'm not a fucking astrophysicist but even I know nothing in the universe is stationary.

Remember back in the day when science teachers made science fun and didn't just phone it in? I say this with growing up with two school teachers / professors who were able to make all of their students love the topic because they made learning fun. My mother still gets calls from former students who simply want to talk to her about anything.

It's somewhat the students, sure. And what teachers get paid is dogshit and wrong and stupid and pisses me the fuck off. My mother would stay up until 3 or 4 am writing out old school report cards and putting her heart and soul into each and every last one. You think teachers have an easy job? Get to take their summers off? Fuck you. You're a fucking idiot. She worked her ass off planning the next year's plan.

Getting back to space ... this seems to be a common misconception ... that The Sun is stationary. Uh, no. The Sun is rotating around our galaxy around the barycenter at all times. Our whole fucking galaxy is rotating! The Universe!

I am the last person who should be explaining this to anyone. But the teaching is simply not getting done.

I will never find this not funny. It just popped into my head out of the blue.

The needless slow motion repeat is genius.

Sending a psycho Farley with extreme astrophobia and ready to kick some butt James Cameron style lol.

All right I'm rolling out!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back