Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy And What Is The Deal With Extraterrestrials? Why Do They Have To Be So ... Extra?

c73e8381c24651c0342f7c8a3f80ec645aeace1460624d8aa3bf98cc13fb7333.jpg

So, one of the guys who came over today grew rather bored of Zack's Justice League. So he came upstairs to talk to me. I assume because he had grown weary of the girls. And he's had a few drinks.

He looks around my bedroom. I mean, mine and Sierra's bedroom, and he sees my famous X-Files poster. The Mulder "I Want To Believe" poster. We start talking about the idea of extraterrestrials visiting Earth.

I like the idea as much as the next person, okay, but I also think it's a fantasy world. I like to remind myself that not everything is real.

So I tell him it's a bunch of bullshit. Like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster or Ogopogo or the Jersey Devil. It's maybe one step up from cryptozoology.

And how would aliens be able to create enough power to travel outside their own galaxy? No way. Impossible.

So ... this guy is in school and studying chemistry and physics and all that. He says, "What if they were employing free energy?"

"Free energy is a myth. It does not exist. There is always a trade-off."

"Is there?"

So we got into a polite debate about free energy.

Free energy is a complicated subject when you get into the nitty-gritty of it. Now, I've not a scientific mind. I've got an artistic mind. Science is way the fuck over my head.

But to dumb it down and try to explain free energy to a dumbass like me ...

It's like ... say you want to make a bonfire. You'd light a match and burn some wood. The wood would burn, turn into smoke and ashes. Creating energy. The wood would no longer exist.

Or say, putting gasoline in your car. The gas enables the car to go, and the degrading engine makes most of the rest of the car work.

The energy needed to make this happen ... is used and disappears.

It's like in Interstellar. When they say the only way humans have figured out a way to get somewhere is to leave something behind.

Free energy, is basically tapping into the energy inherent in the universe and using it without a trace left behind. No fuel, no flame.

Say like, wind, solar, hydro. Only all of that shit costs money and upkeep. Not exactly free.

So we talked about it quite a bit. Until his girlfriend decided it was time to leave. LOL.

If anyone with a scientific mind would like to correct me on this, feel free. I know shit about science.

:thinker:

So, one of the guys who came over today grew rather bored of Zack's Justice League. So he came upstairs to talk to me. I assume because he had grown weary of the girls. And he's had a few drinks.

He looks around my bedroom. I mean, mine and Sierra's bedroom, and he sees my famous X-Files poster. The Mulder "I Want To Believe" poster. We start talking about the idea of extraterrestrials visiting Earth.

I like the idea as much as the next person, okay, but I also think it's a fantasy world. I like to remind myself that not everything is real.

So I tell him it's a bunch of bullshit. Like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster or Ogopogo or the Jersey Devil. It's maybe one step up from cryptozoology.

And how would aliens be able to create enough power to travel outside their own galaxy? No way. Impossible.

So ... this guy is in school and studying chemistry and physics and all that. He says, "What if they were employing free energy?"

"Is there?"

Free energy is a complicated subject when you get into the nitty-gritty of it. Now, I've not a scientific mind. I've got an artistic mind. Science is way the fuck over my head.

It's like ... say you want to make a bonfire. You'd light a match and burn some wood. The wood would burn, turn into smoke and ashes. Creating energy. The wood would no longer exist.

Or say, putting gasoline in your car. The gas enables the car to go, and the degrading engine makes most of the rest of the car work.

It's like in Interstellar. When they say the only way humans have figured out a way to get somewhere is to leave something behind.

Free energy, is basically tapping into the energy inherent in the universe and using it without a trace left behind. No fuel, no flame.

Say like, wind, solar, hydro. Only all of that shit costs money and upkeep. Not exactly free.

So we talked about it quite a bit. Until his girlfriend decided it was time to leave. LOL.

If anyone with a scientific mind would like to correct me on this, feel free. I know shit about science.

Above my pay grade

I highly doubt it, @Tincandtoke

Your voice would be most welcome in our discussions. You are perpetually invited.

It's merely a matter of putting science against fantasy ... and finding an equal ground.

But really ... they're kind of the same thing. Once the talking gets going.

"Is there?"

Its like perpetual motion
A lot of things work on paper but fail miserably in practice
We just don't know enough to make an explanation beyond theories and suppositions
Fuel does not disappear, it is converted and stays with us at a molecular level
The term free energy, you have to harness it which means it is no longer free
This is the domain of physicists
I was taking care of an ill family member when these lessons were taught so my recollection is sketchy at best
Hard to retain things on 2-3 hours of sleep

Yeah, "disappear" was definitely an imprecise term. My particular vernacular doesn't transer well when imposed into the scientific realm.

I think I was more thinking "disappear" in the sense that it changes form. Whatever the case, definitely the wrong word.

The universe is self-contained! Hell, we've all got stardust and Big Bang dust in our bones!

The idea of the universe working as such is about the closest I can get to believing in a higher power - the idea that some kind of genius entity planned this shit out and let it rip to watch what happens.

I can't remember who it was, it wasn't deGrasse Tyson, but some other celebrity astrophysicist or cosmologest or whatever. He was asked the question of why the universe even exists. Why does it even bother? It might have been Hawking.

He simply said, "Because it's something. And something is more stable than nothing."

Hmm. That's a noodle-scratcher. :thinker:

It wasn't Kaku. I don't think. But it may as well have been.

It was some silly interview on The Colbert Report where it went from dumb fun to interesting. You know ... back when Colbert was funny and not obsessed with making Trump jokes every night. I was a fan of his since his earliest days on the Daily Show and Strangers With Candy. My father even once since he reminded him of me.

We get it, Stephen. You don't like Trump. I don't either. I also don't need to hear jokes about him every fucking night.

And if you're reading this and you do like Trump. I DON'T FUCKING CARE. Not in a woke way, not in a mature way, not in a "I'm so above this bullshit" way ... I just don't fucking care.

I could not give two bloody diarreah shits about anyone's political beliefs. I ... don't ... care. In fact, it's doubtful anyone cares about your beliefs other than yourself.

But as far as something and nothing. Well, it's a fascinating subject.

You could probably ask a million people about it and get a million different answers and opinions.

Coming at it from an untrained and wildly unscientific mind, I guess ... uh ... well ...

I guess I see "Something" as a situation where you have something of a handle on it. You can sort of predict it and know what to expect and see what's coming and take your best guess. And the more trips you take around the Sun, the less you're surprised by events.

But "Nothing?" Well what do you do with that? It could be anything and go anywhere and you've zero chance to prepare for it. You don't have any idea what it is or what it can do.

I highly doubt this question will be answered before the Sun dries out and humanity perishes, but ... gotta pass the time.

Last edited:
It wasn't Kaku. I don't think. But it may as well have been.

It was some silly interview on The Colbert Report where it went from dumb fun to interesting. You know ... back when Colbert was funny and not obsessed with making Trump jokes every night. I was a fan of his since his earliest days on the Daily Show and Strangers With Candy. My father even once since he reminded him of me.

We get it, Stephen. You don't like Trump. I don't either. I also don't need to hear jokes about him every fucking night.

And if you're reading this and you do like Trump. I DON'T FUCKING CARE. Not in a woke way, not in a mature way, not in a "I'm so above this bullshit" way ... I just don't fucking care.

I could not give two bloody diarreah shits about anyone's political beliefs. I ... don't ... care. In fact, it's doubtful anyone cares about your beliefs other than yourself.

But as far as something and nothing. Well, it's a fascinating subject.

You could probably ask a million people about it and get a million different answers and opinions.

Coming at it from an untrained and wildly unscientific mind, I guess ... uh ... well ...

I guess I see "Something" as a situation where you have something of a handle on it. You can sort of predict it and know what to expect and see what's coming and take your best guess. And the more trips you take around the Sun, the less you're surprised by events.

But "Nothing?" Well what do you do with that? It could be anything and go anywhere and you've zero chance to prepare for it. You don't have any idea what it is or what it can do.

I highly doubt this question will be answered before the Sun dries out and humanity perishes, but ... gotta pass the time.

Entropy and decay
Yagzan_%28Earth-616%29_from_Secret_Avengers_Vol_2_2.jpg

Jude, the entropic man
Marvel universe

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back