Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Autism - Aspergers - OCD - Spectrum Disorders and MMJ

Tikun Research: Cannabis for Autism

Children with autism face unimaginable challenges that can affect their health, cognition, and quality of life. These challenges can also cause mounting stress for family members who take on the role of caregivers. Current autism medications provide limited relief and can cause serious side effects that add to the list of problems. As parents seek safer alternatives, many are turning to cannabis for help.

Today, we have data to substantiate the use of cannabis for autism, thanks to Tikun Olam Israel’s groundbreaking study. The recent Tikun research reveals that relief for children with autism may come in the form of high-CBD, low-THC medical cannabis oil.

THE PROBLEM
In the last three decades, there has been a three-fold increase in the number of children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Boys are four times more likely to be diagnosed than girls and research indicates that genetics play a large role. Children with autism often face intellectual disability, gastrointestinal issues, insomnia, and seizures. They can suffer from depression and engage in self-injurious behaviors such as head-banging and skin-scratching.

Children with autism are treated with behavioral intervention, occupational therapies, and various medications to help them live as independently as possible. Risperidone and aripiprazole are the only medications approved to directly treat autism-related issues. Aside from risperidone and aripiprazole, children with ASD also take antiepileptics, anti-depressants, and sedatives to help alleviate rage, restlessness, and seizures. While medical intervention can help, pharmaceuticals can also yield unwanted side effects that cause many families to seek cannabis for relief.

MEDICAL CANNABIS: A SOLUTION
Confusing legal status has made cannabis research in the US a challenging task. In contrast, Israel began approving medical cannabis in 2007 and the team of scientists at Tikun Olam Israel has been in the lab ever since.

In 2018, Tikun Olam’s observational study revealed that high-CBD, low-THC cannabis oil can drastically improve autism symptoms. Tikun surveyed the parents of 188 autism patients receiving its high-CBD Avidekel cannabis strain. In January 2019, Nature’s Scientific Reports published promising results.

Key Patient Improvements at Six Months:

• 90% of patients showed mild to major symptom relief
  • 84% reported a reduction in ASD behavioral issues
  • 2X the number of parents reported a “good” quality of life (vs at intake)
CANNABIS STUDY METHODS
Tikun Olam’s study is one of the first and largest surrounding the efficacy of medical cannabis therapy for autism. The study also broke new ground by tracking specific dosages for each patient and observing the safety profile and effectiveness of targeted relief.

Prior to treatment, Tikun collected self-reported data from parents related to their children’s quality of life, symptoms, mood, and independence. Physicians then prescribed Avidekel, Tikun’s high CBD-to-THC (20:1) oil starting at three drops per day. After finding the optimal dose, patients received between 1 and 20 drops of Avidekel, three times per day.

Avidekel was chosen for the study because the high CBD content can provide a significant dose of therapeutic, anti-anxiety and anti-inflammatory effects, while the low THC content means there is little to no intoxicating effect. Doctors worked closely with parents to determine the best dose and delivery for each child’s particular needs.

After six months, 155 patients remained in active treatment and 93 parents completed the follow-up survey. The reported benefits were profound.

Autism Symptom Relief

Parents first completed a pre-treatment survey, which asked to rate their child’s ASD conditions across emotional, physical, and behavioral markers. Of the parents who marked “yes” to the conditions below, the vast majority noted
improvements at the end of the six-month period.

Top ASD Symptoms

• 84.6% reported decrease or disappearance of seizures
  • 89.8% reported reduction in restlessness
  • 89% reported reduction in rage attacks
  • 100% reported reduction in depression
Other ASD Symptoms

• 88.8% reported improvement in anxiety
  • 83.8% reported a lower level of agitation
  • 80% reported significantly less tics
  • 62.5% reported improved digestive support
Parents also noted a substantial improvement in the quality of life markers. At intake, only 31% of parents indicated that their child experienced “good” quality of life. At the end of the 6-month study period, the rate jumped to 66.8%. That’s double!

Sleep Quality

• 3.3% at intake vs 24.7% after 6 months
Concentration

• 0% at intake vs 14% after 6 months
Positive Mood

• 42% at intake vs 63.5% after 6 months
Dress & Shower Independently

• 26.4% at intake vs 42.9% after 6 months
MEDICATION USE
Of the 93 patients, 67 children were on chronic medications prior to cannabis treatment. At the end of the 6-month period, 34.3% of patients decreased overall medication use and 20% stopped taking antipsychotics completely. For these patients, medical cannabis relieved symptoms safely, naturally, and effectively.

LIMITED SIDE EFFECTS
Out of the 188 patients who participated in the study, only 23 parents reported at least one undesirable effect. These effects were mild and included dry mouth, sleepiness, lack of appetite, and restlessness. Three parents reported a mild psychoactive effect. Of those 23 parents who reported an undesirable effect, 41% reported intentions to return to cannabis treatment.

HOW CANNABIS WORKS FOR AUTISM
The exact mechanism of action is unknown, but research indicates that cannabis may work by regulating imbalanced chemical signaling in children with autism. By balancing these signals, cannabis can improve the body’s Endocannabinoid System (ECS) function. The ECS is a vital network for lasting health by helping the body maintain homeostasis.

Tikun’s observational study indicates that cannabis is a well-tolerated, safe, and effective option to relieve ASD symptoms. Double-blind clinical studies featuring a control group are needed to confirm direct causality, but Tikun’s study is a huge step in the direction of hope for children with autism.

HOPE FOR AUTISM RELIEF
Tikun Olam’s Avidekel study is a powerful tool for parents to advocate on behalf of their children’s long-term wellness. Cannabis is safe when consumed properly and can be a viable, holistic treatment option. If you or someone you know is affected by autism, find a trusted cannabis physician and start the conversation. Work closely with your physician to test the high CBD cannabis strain and delivery method that best suits your child’s needs.

New Clinical Trial Will Examine Effects of Cannabis Compound on Autism

A clinical trial in New York will study the effects of CBDV on children with autism.

Cannabis-Brain.jpg

A New York clinical trial will study the effects of the cannabis compound cannabidivarin, or CBDV, on patients with autism, according to a report from CNN. The study at the Montefiore Medical Center will examine the effects of CBDV on irritability and repetitive behaviors in children with autism spectrum disorder.

Dr. Eric Hollander, director of the Autism and Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Program and Anxiety and Depression Program at Montefiore Hospital and the lead researcher on the study, told CNN that previous research has shown that CBDV may have potential as a treatment for autism spectrum disorders.

“In some of the animal models that are similar to autism, it was found that CBDV had important effects on social functioning, on decreasing seizures, on increasing cognitive function, and in reducing compulsive or repetitive behavior,” Hollander said. “So for that reason, we wanted to apply that to autism.”

The CBDV formulation being used in the study is produced in the U.K. by GW Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer of the only FDA-approved cannabis medicine Epidiolex. The drug has been approved for use in the U.S. and European Union to treat two serious disorders that cause childhood epilepsy. Dr. Geoffrey Guy, the founder of GW, said that epilepsy and autism share some common symptoms.

“When you look at these—loss of cognitive function, poor socializing skills, poor language skills—what you’re looking at is a phenotype very similar to autism,” Guy told Dr. Sanjay Gupta in an interview for the CNN special “Weed 5: The CBD Craze.” “In my mind, epilepsy and autism-type presentations are on the same continuum.”

Holand believes that autism and epilepsy may have similar underlying causes and says that CBDV has shown some success treating seizure disorders, giving him hope it may also be effective for autism patients.

“There’s some abnormal electrical activity even though they don’t have seizures, for example,” Hollander told Gupta. “And we had previously shown that when we give anticonvulsants that decrease the electrical activity, or the spikes, some of the disruptive behaviors, or the irritability, actually get better.”

“And that was one of our thoughts, why this CBDV could be helpful,” Hollander added. “Because if it helps with epilepsy and it helps in terms of decreasing the spike activity, we might also get improvement in the some of the aggression, or the self-injury, or the temper tantrums.”

Some Experts Wary About Cannabis
Dr. Alexander Kolevzon, the clinical director of the Seaver Autism Center at Mount Sinai who is not involved in the study, said that while he is encouraged by the potential of cannabis-based medications, it is still too early to tell if it’s an effective medication for patients with autism spectrum disorder.

“The field of autism has a long history of enthusiasm for many treatments based on small pilot studies and anecdotal accounts,” Kolevzon said. “However, often when these treatments are tested rigorously in larger studies, the benefits are not significantly different than that of placebo.”

Montefiore Medical Center is currently recruiting volunteers to participate in the study. Participants must be children 5 to 18 years old with autism spectrum disorder.

Cannabis and Autism - What We Just Learned From The Biggest Study Ever
Tukun Olam and Dr. Annabelle Manalo Release Ground Breaking Study

Tikun Olam just released the most comprehensive study on cannabis and kids with autism. Cannabis.net sat down with Chief Science Officer of Tikun Olam, Dr. Annabelle Manalo to discuss the new study, what we learned, and where do we go now with cannabis and autism.

Curt: All right. Welcome everyone. Some groundbreaking news coming out today or yesterday depending on when you're watching this video of a brand new cannabis study dealing with autism in children and we are lucky enough here at Cannabis.net to be talking to the Chief Scientific Officer, Dr. Manalo. How are you today?

Dr. Manalo: I'm good. Thank you for having me. We're really excited about this study and I'm happy to be sharing it with you guys first.

Curt: All right, well the press release just came out. You've done a ton of research. Before we get into the study, give us a little background about how you got to be the Chief Scientific Officer at Tikum Olam. I'm going to mispronounce-

Dr. Manalo: Tikum Olam, Tikum Olam, means repair the world. So I actually have a developmental biology background. I was at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee working on a chemotherapy grant when I had my third child, my son. He surprisingly had uncontrollable seizures from birth about 200 a day and he had a stroke somewhere before, around or after birth. Ultimately we just needed to stop these seizures, so we found ourselves in the ICU for a long time. There was no regimen for him and so he had 40% of his brain removed and we just had to pray from that point on that he would be okay but he was not developing.

Dr. Manalo: So at six months old I decided to make him a medicine made out of cannabis. I didn't tell anybody, I didn't tell his doctors because it was illegal at the time in the state of Tennessee and I knew that I was taking a big risk with there not being a lot of research behind this awesome plant. But I made him a medicine and he's two years old today, he has no developmental deficits. He has beaten all odds and he's healthy.

Dr. Manalo: So Tikum Olam and I kind of found each other because we have the same mission. We believe in the plant, but we believe in the medicinal uses first and backing it by science

Curt: Now the study that just came out, we have a lot of followers who are interested in kids with autism. This is the largest study ever done and it was based out of Israel. So could you tell us what makes this study kind of the latest and greatest and what we learned?

Dr. Manalo: Sure. Well, a lot of cannabis studies, especially in children are very small and of course when you have a bigger population then you can get more conclusive data. So 188 patients were followed for two years. They ranged from the age of one to 17, mostly around the age of 12 years old and the patients were given a specific dose of cannabis, which is also kind of special in this industry. We see a lot of papers published and people are seeing relief of their symptoms in a bunch of different conditions and you don't know what they took exactly. There's such variability in the dosing.

Dr. Manalo: So here we have made sure to include that we use our strain Avi-Dekel, which is high in CBD, low in THC. That's always a favorite for kids because obviously CBD is non psychoactive. So it's safe, you don't worry about a kid getting high, right? But the THC has a lot of medicinal benefits as well. So them working together, we were able to see a lot of positive results in a large amount of these children.

Curt: What was the biggest improvement in this 188 children over two years? When you got to the finish line what were you able to kind of give a good nod and say?

Dr. Manalo: Well, I would say two things. The first thing is definitely quality of life. Kids with autism, my own son is at risk for autism and a lot of these kids had seizures prior to getting autism. A lot of these neurological issues go hand in hand. So quality of life is humongous. Kids are able to be more independent, their attitudes, their moods are more positive. Those were obviously the biggest things that parents were happy about. The sleep improved for these children.

Dr. Manalo: But the one thing that really stuck out to me was the ability to get off of some of these concomitant medications that the children were taking, especially the antipsychotic and the depressant medications. A lot of these children were able to significantly reduce the amount that they were taking, which is awesome when you think about neurological health longterm.

Curt: What kind of dosages of cannabis were we looking at during the trial? How much were these kids getting? Was it tinctures, was it milligrams, milliliters? Go ahead.

Dr. Manalo: Yeah. So it was 30 to one. So it was 30% CBD, which turned out to be about 79, anywhere from 60 to 80 milligrams of CBD and about four to one to five milligrams of THC in a dose daily. So that's a pretty high dose, but again, that THC is enough to have somebody feel the psychotropic effects, but that CBD kind of balances it out. It's a really nice high dose to be able to replace medications.

Curt: What would you tell parents that are listening all over the world to this video now who have children on the autism spectrum and kind of want to start and they don't know what to do? They don't even know the first place to look or call. What would be their step one, two, and three?

Dr. Manalo: Well, one thing about Tikum Olam is that we've always been really transparent and have made ourselves available to the patient. So you can find us online, you can find me online. I've really started this journey by talking to other parents because that's where I come from and trying to make myself available. I wish I could just say go to your local doctor, but as parents, you know that that's not a reality.

Dr. Manalo: Just ask a lot of questions. In a lot of states THC is not legalized yet. You could try a high CBD with a very low amount of THC that you get from a hemp derived CBD extract, but give it a shot. Of course, do your research and know where this product was made. Look at the certificate of analysis, be your own doctor. You have to be for your children, but give it a shot. Cannabis is safe if done right. Like I said, there is more and more people that parents are being able to go to now. We're seeing that grow and so that makes me really happy.

Curt: Can parents get the actual product that was used in your study, whether it's Israel or California? Is it available and where?

Dr. Manalo: Yes. So Tikum Olam's product and there are other high CBD low THC, whether that be strains of flower itself or in a tincture oil, there are a lot of those concoctions that are already on the market. Your question is, are they potent enough? Avi-Dekel, which is the strain that was used in this study, we will be in Florida first, soon after California, and other states will follow. Of course state-by-state, everything is different, but those are the places they'll be available first at the top of the year.

Curt: Okay. So Florida, California, and then the domino down.

Dr. Manalo: Yup, Yup. Yup.

Curt: Okay. So the FDA has been very clear about what claims can be made as far as curing things like cancer and autism. So I want you to correct my sentence. Cannabis can cure autism.

Dr. Manalo: Okay. So cannabis is not a cure all for anything. I've never agreed with that. I believe in just like we get disease, it takes a heterogeneous population of a bunch of things to make that disease, I believe in the same thing when it comes to cannabis. It's belief, it's attitude, it's other things that you take. It's environment, it's food, it's supplements, it's all those things. So cannabis is not a cure all.

Dr. Manalo: What cannabis can do is extenuate and promote the self healing process that we already have inside. It could help us get off medications that are detrimental to our longterm health and so in correction of cannabis cures autism, I would say cannabis can extenuate the process of curing autism in a safe and efficient manner. Let me say that again. Cannabis can extenuate the healing process of autism in a safe and efficient manner.

Curt: Should the expectations of parents who are getting started and going down this road, is it no more seizures, a "normal life" off of all other pharma meds, or what is the realistic expectations for parents who are going to start down this road in their child to see?

Dr. Manalo: That's a tough question because every child is different, but one thing that I think it's important for all of us to understand is that longterm cannabis is not a bandaid. Cannabis doesn't just make you feel better. Cannabis is promoting self healing. We have a defense mechanism, a self-repair system within us. We have stem cells within us that are just looking to repair processes that are abnormal. So that's what you have to think of cannabis as doing. A high CBD, low THC Avi-Dekel tincture may work for nine kids but it may not work for the rest.

Dr. Manalo: So it's about being patient and it's about believing and trying different things and working with individuals you can trust and look to for advice. But, again, it's not a bandaid, it works differently in every person and what you're trying to do in a child with any kind of neurological disorder is to promote positive signaling, effective balanced signaling within the brain.

Curt: And for parents who are giving their children cannabis, do you have a preferred way of ingestion? Is it under the sublingual, what if it was a gummy? Is there anything you kind of found that kids respond to and that parents could exact dosage?

Dr. Manalo: Yeah. So when I first started, and I love this because I can relate it to myself, when I first started it was a potent dose and I believe in potent dosing, especially when it comes to CBD because you won't get the psychoactive effects. But I was shooting it through my son's G-tube. When he became a little older and he had learned his taste buds, he didn't want it sublingually. I recommend sublingual because it gets to the bloodstream faster, but I had to start infusing things for my son, putting it in honey sticks, things that he liked, sticking it in a banana. So by the mouth obviously is going to be the safest way. Sublingually if your child will withstand it is the best way to go.

Curt: Yeah. But just based on what you ... I mean, that's gotta be about half a dropper, I would guess if you're talking five milligrams of THC and about 50 of CBD. So that's not even going to be a full with that 50 milliliter or 100 milliliter dropper. So the giving should be relatively quick and easy if you're talking that small amount as a liquid.

Dr. Manalo: Well we can talk about dosing too, and I'll briefly educate you on that. You can have a tincture that has 10,000 milligrams and then you can have one beside it that has 1000 milligrams total in that bottle and these bottles are the same size, right? So if you think about that in a dosing perspective and the dispersion of the medicine within that bottle, a whole dropper of that 10,000 milligrams is gonna be a lot more than the other bottle. So you have to know exactly what's in there to get proper dosing.

Dr. Manalo: For instance, in the CBD that I made it has 3000 milligrams in one bottle so one dropper full is one milliliter, that's a 100 milligram dose. So that can vary based on how the product has been diluted.

Curt: That's good to know because I'm sure parents, if they're going to go sublingual, want it as quick and painless as possible. So you're absolutely right. If you're going to get a higher dosage, less drops real quick. It'll go right in and-

Dr. Manalo: It's about educating yourself and it's about understanding what you're giving your child. Like I said, you have to become your child's own doctor.

Curt: Where can interested parties, parents get a copy of your latest report, the autism and cannabis study?

Dr. Manalo: Well, we will be doing a couple press releases. We will be putting it through scientific research journals. It'll be available through our website TikumOlam.com. Google's a really powerful tool these days as well. So parents can access the study and parents will also have a direction in contacting us if they have any further questions.

Curt: If somebody wanted to ask you a question, I don't want to have a thousand emails show up at your inbox the rest of your life, what's the best way to ping you or asks you a question?

Dr. Manalo: Well, they can reach me through Tikum Olam. There's a contact click there. I also have my own website. It's Dr. Annabelle.com and they can contact me. I will be honest. I do answer most of those emails. I think there may come a time where I won't have the ability to because I'm one human being, but for now I try to reach as many people as possible.

Curt: Excellent. Well congratulations on the study. I appreciate you taking the time out and for those that need more information, as we said, Google. The results in the study have just been released, we'll put up the graphics on this video where the websites you can go to and just thank you very much for your time.

Dr. Manalo: Thank you, Curt. Thanks for having me, and I also want to add, Curt, the paper I think is ... I think our first press release is going to be through BBC. So the paper could be found in connection or in conjunction with BBC.

Curt: All right. Excellent. Thank you for your time. Congratulations on the study and anytime you want to come back to cannabis.net and talk, just let us know.

Dr. Manalo: Okay. Thanks for having me, Curt.

Curt: Thank you.

Medical Marijuana for Aspergers: Diagnosis, Research & Treatment

Asperger syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder which belongs to the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) as of 2013. According to CDC, 1 in 59 children are affected by ASD.

Though there are numerous studies on autism and it is getting more and more attention in the media, not much progress has been made in terms of understanding what causes it. For now it is certain there is no cure, but research suggests there are some things which can alleviate the condition. For instance, cannabis.

In this article we’ll explore the benefits and the healing potential of medical marijuana for Aspergers patients.

What is Asperger’s?​

Asperger’s syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder first described in 1944, a year after the first diagnosis of autism. Hans Asperger, an Austrian pediatrician, described a pattern of behavior similar to autism. The only difference was higher intellectual capacity and less severe symptoms in Asperger’s patients.

Asperger’s vs. Autism​

For the past couple of decades, there has been a debate among mental health professionals regarding the differential diagnosis of the two disorders.

Some scientists suggest that the difference between these two disorders is delayed language development in autistic children. The general rule used to be: when a child shows autistic symptoms without a delay in language and cognitive development, it is diagnosed with Asperger’s disorder. Fred Volkmar, M.D. suggests that those with Asperger’s are children who talk before they walk.

While some claim these two disorders differ in the quality of impairment, others suggest that the absence of (autistic) symptoms – language delay, to be precise – can’t be a criterion for a different diagnosis. Moreover, it is particularly problematic to diagnose older children who were not diagnosed at an early age, because there’s no strong evidence of language delay in their early years.

The controversies surrounding the topic were even more reinforced with research. Miller & Ozonoff examined Asperger’s original description of the disorder and concluded that the cases he described would fit today’s diagnostic criteria for autism, as described in DSM-IV and ICD-10, the world’s most used diagnostic manuals. (1)

Furthermore, Leekam et al. examined 200 cases of autistic spectrum disorder, and found out that all of them met the criteria for autism according to ICD-10, while only 1% of the cases were a fit for Asperger disorder. (2)

In 2013, the American Psychiatric Association decided to focus more on similarities rather than differences of these conditions. According to their newest diagnostic manual for mental disorders, DSM-V, Asperger syndrome is no longer a separate disorder. Now it falls under the Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). The same goes for ICD-11, the newest diagnostic manual by the World Health Organization, though they still use the term Asperger’s.

Asperger’s Symptoms​

The newest diagnostic manual brought together four conditions under one umbrella term – Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD):

• Autistic disorder
  • Asperger syndrome
  • Childhood disintegrative disorder
  • Pervasive developmental disorder – not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS)
This means that the individuals who were previously diagnosed with Asperger syndrome according to older diagnostic manuals should be given the diagnosis of ASD as of 2013.

The symptoms of autistic spectrum disorder include impairments in the following aspects:

• Social communication
  • Social interaction
  • Restricted or repetitive behavior
When it comes to social interaction, the usual problems are understanding emotions, social situations and relationships, lack of empathy, avoiding eye contact, as well as avoiding peers.

Social communication of children on the autistic spectrum can be described as awkward. Despite delayed language development in their early years, they start talking when older. However, their verbal abilities become problematic in other ways: they tend to repeat the same phrase over and over again, have problems with pronouns, do not recognize sarcasm or joking, have abnormal tone of voice, and flat or monotonous speech.

Children with ASD also act in unusual ways. Some examples of atypical behavior are lining up objects or toys, strong resistance to change, highly restricted and narrow interests, and repetitive movements like body rocking.

Children on the spectrum are also prone to self-injury behaviors such as head banging and skin picking, as well as a compulsive behavior aimed at reducing anxiety.

Unusual behaviors occur at an early age, and parents can usually notice first symptoms before a child’s second birthday. (3)

Additionally, diagnosis of the spectrum includes an assessment of the severity level. They are ranked from 1 to 3, level 1 being the “lightest” and marking children who need the least assistance.

Alongside ASD the following medical and mental health conditions may occur:

• Epilepsy
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Sleep disorders
  • Sensory difficulties

Asperger’s Treatment​

Early diagnosis and intervention can increasingly improve the quality of life of children on the autistic disorder spectrum. Though there’s been numerous research aimed at discovering the cause of autism, the etiology is still unknown.

Treatment of autism spectrum disorder varies depending on the severity of the condition and the secondary mental and medical conditions which accompany the disorder.

The earlier the interventions start, the better is the prognosis of a child’s development. Nonetheless, older children with ASD can also benefit from them. Treatment can include therapy or medication, or both.

Interventions include cognitive behavioral therapy, speech therapy, physical and occupational therapy, sensory integration therapy, and autism-specific strategies for sleep improvement. Since every child with ASD is unique, the treatment is adjusted to a child’s specific needs.

The medications, especially antipsychotics, used for treating accompanied conditions like ADHD, depression and anxiety come with a lot of side effects. It’s no surprise that more and more people are turning to natural methods like medical marijuana for treating the symptoms.

Medical Marijuana for Asperger Syndrome​

Since there’s no effective cure for autism, the only thing children on the spectrum are left with is reducing the symptoms. Conventional medications can improve the quality of their lives, but they carry many side effects.

Though there are not many studies of marijuana and autism spectrum disorder, medical marijuana is known for alleviating the negative symptoms found on the spectrum: seizures, rage outbursts, anxiety and depression. This sparked researchers to start exploring medical marijuana for autism treatment.

One of the pioneers of the research of medical marijuana and autism is doctor Aron, an Israeli pediatric neurologist. First he started recommending cannabis for epilepsy, and eventually started his study of cannabis for severe cases of autistic spectrum disorder.

The clinical studies are still lacking, but what inspired doctors to start exploring medical marijuana for Asperger and other disorders on the spectrum were anecdotal evidence of successful cannabis treatment in autism spectrum disorder.

When conventional medicine fails…​

The treatment was initially inspired by a successful story of epilepsy treatment in a Colorado girl named Charlotte who had a severe case of epilepsy – Dravet Syndrome. She was experiencing more than 300 grand mal seizures per week at the age of five. She lost the ability to walk, eat and talk.

Her parents were running out of options as the conventional medicine was not helpful enough, and they turned to medical marijuana. They found growers in Colorado, the Stanley brothers, who were crossbreeding a strain of marijuana with industrial hemp.

The strain, today called Charlotte’s Web, is high in CBD and low in THC. Charlotte was taking the strain in the form of CBD oil, and improvements were seen immediately. Over time, her seizures dropped from more than 300 a week to 3-4 per month. Two years later she was able to walk, talk and eat normally. It is now the most famous case of treating epilepsy with medical marijuana.

Charlotte’s Web​

Charlotte’s Web is a strain with 30:1 ratio in favor of CBD. The level of THC in the product is less than 0.3%. The biggest concern with medical marijuana treatment in children is the common misconception that cannabis necessarily gets people high.

The two main cannabinoids found in marijuana are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). THC is what is known to get people high, causing symptoms like euphoria, sense of relaxation, relief from pain, but it can also increase anxiety in some people. On the other hand, CBD is non-intoxicating compound which, according to medical research, acts as antipsychotic, reduces anxiety, and relieves pain.

The remarkable recovery and reduction of seizures inspired doctors in Israel to treat autistic children with epilepsy as a second symptom with strains high in CBD and with minimal levels of THC. The children showed improvement, not only in their seizures, but in their behavior, as well.

Eventually, Israeli doctors started with medical marijuana prescriptions for severe cases of autism. According to the latest report, more than 80% of children on the autistic spectrum disorder have experienced significant or moderate improvement over the period of six months. The complete paper should be published by the end of 2019.

In the meantime, doctor Eric Hollander has announced that he is conducting his own research on cannabis as a potential treatment for autistic spectrum disorder. It’s the first of its kind to be carried out in the US. It is funded by United States Department of Defense and GW Pharmaceuticals, and it should be completed by 2021.

What makes Hollander’s research different from the ones conducted in Israel is the use of CBDV. He will be applying neither THC nor CBD to his patients, but instead a compound similar to CBD in its medical application.

CBDV or cannabidivarin is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid. According to research, it has anticonvulsant effects upon seizures when consumed orally. (4)

Cannabinoids for Autism​

There are numerous anecdotal stories by parents who are administering medical marijuana to their children with autism and are seeing improvement. The children are changing for the better, from reduced aggression to children speaking their first words.

Current findings suggest that people with autistic spectrum disorder should stick to strains with high CBD levels and minimal levels of THC, like Charlotte’s Web, because of THC side effects.

THC may cause anxiety in some people. With high levels of irritability and attention difficulties, it may not be the best choice for autistic spectrum disorder. If you are thinking about exploring strains high in THC for autism, make sure to start with smaller doses and work your way up.

As we already know, every individual on the spectrum is different, and the symptoms can vary from case to case. That’s why it’s important to advise a cannabis-friendly doctor, research strains based on the symptoms, and find the best way for consumption.

Ways of Using Medical Marijuana for Autism​

One of the common concerns for parents who first hear about treating autism with medical marijuana is smoking. Fortunately, there are more ways to consume medical cannabis besides this widely-known. If using cannabis to treat a medical condition, it’s best to go with healthier ways of consumption.

Vaping is much less harmful than smoking and it’s a powerful way to get cannabinoids into the system. The first symptoms of vaping can be seen within minutes. Vaping, however, has some side effects like sore throat, dry mouth, coughing, dizziness or tiredness from vaping.

Edibles might be the healthiest way to use cannabis, since this way of consumption completely reduces lung irritation. The first effects of oral consumption begin after 30-60 minutes, but they last much longer compared to smoking or vaping.

There are numerous recipes online for cannabis infused cookies, brownies, juices and butters. The use of CBD oil in the treatment makes things even easier. The appropriate dosage can be added to almost any meal.

Does Asperger qualify for medical marijuana?​

Since Asperger syndrome is a disorder that lies within the autism spectrum, it qualifies for medical marijuana treatment in all states where autism is considered a qualifying condition. These states are:

• Missouri
  • Michigan
  • Pennsylvania
  • Delaware
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota
  • Colorado (since April 2019)
Delaware added another condition for medical marijuana treatment in autistic children. They need to show signs of self-injurious or aggressive behavior.

Some states, like Rhode Island, require doctors to exhaust conventional medication recommended by the FDA before approving children for medical marijuana treatment.

Besides the mentioned states, there are eight more which are considered autism-friendly. Those are the states which allow doctors to recommend medical cannabis for debilitating conditions:

• California
  • Florida
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Massachusetts
  • Washington, DC
As for Canada, autism spectrum disorder hasn’t been listed as a qualifying condition for cannabis treatment.

Nevertheless, parents are still reporting success stories of treating their children with cannabis.

Many parents and organizations, like Mothers Advocating Medical Marijuana for Autism (MAMMA) are striving for change. As initiatives are thriving, we can expect more states to broaden their horizons and include autism spectrum disorder as a qualifying condition for cannabis treatment.

In the meantime, try to make the next step for yourself or your loved ones suffering from autistic spectrum disorder. Reach out to a cannabis-friendly doctor who can help you find the best treatment.

References:​

1. Miller, J. N., & Ozonoff, S. (1997) Did Asperger’s cases have Asperger Disorder? A research note. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 38, 247–251.
  2. Leekam, S., Libby, S., Wing, L., Gould, J. & Gillberg, C. (2000) Comparison of ICD-10 and Gillberg’s criteria for Asperger syndrome. Autism, 4(1), 11–28.
  3. Landa, R. J. (2008) Diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders in the first 3 years of life. Nature Clinical Practice Neurology, 4(3), 138–147.
  4. Amada, N., Yamasaki, Y., Williams, C.M. (2013) Cannabidivarin (CBDV) suppresses pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)‐induced increases in epilepsy‐related gene expression. PeerJ, 1: e214.
  5. American Psychiatric Association, DSM-5 Task Force. (2013) Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-5™ (5th ed.). Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.

Study finds reduction in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder symptoms after smoking weed

Add Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder to the growing list of physical and mental ailments marijuana can help.

In a new study conducted by investigators affiliated with Washington State University and published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, subjects found a reduction in intrusions, or unwanted thoughts/impulses, compulsions, and/or anxiety, after smoking weed.

The study, conducted over 31 months and a total of 1,810 smoke sessions, analyzed 87 medical marijuana patients who self-identify as having OCD. Individuals were asked to track the severity of their symptoms before and after using cannabis, as well as any changes they may have experienced as a result of getting high.

According to the study's findings, “patients reported a 60% reduction in compulsions, a 49% reduction in intrusions, and a 52% reduction in anxiety before to after inhaling cannabis.” Also, patients had a higher success rate in reducing OCD behavior when cannabis sessions involved strains with high CBD doses.

Despite the fact that the severity of symptoms had reportedly lessened by approximately 50-60%, researchers believe that cannabis might only offer short-term relief for OCD patients. Deep into the study, as one's cannabis tolerance built up, the smaller the patient's reductions in intrusions became.

This is not the first study as to how cannabis-based treatments can be used to ease symptoms associated with OCD. In July, a team of German researchers published the findings of a study in which they administered high-THC cannabis over the course of 20 months to a 22-year-old patient with OCD.

The patient reported improvements in sleep, relaxation, focus, social function, and a 90% reduction in obsessive-compulsive behaviors, with no adverse side effects.

Results of Clinical Trial Show Potential Benefits of Cannabis For Children With Autism

Although controversial, a clinical trial by Israeli researchers showed promising results for children with autism.

A new clinical trial offered encouraging signs for the use of cannabis extracts on children with autism.

The clinical trial, the results of which were published this month in the journal Molecular Autism, sought to assess the effects of “whole-plant cannabis extract” containing both CBD and THC at a 20:1 ratio and a placebo on a group of young children with autism.

For 12 weeks, the 150 participants received either the extract or the placebo, which was then “followed by a 4-week washout and predetermined cross-over for another 12 weeks to further assess tolerability.”

In their conclusions, the teams of Israeli researchers said that they had “demonstrated for the first time in a placebo-controlled trial that cannabinoid treatment has the potential to decrease disruptive behaviors associated with [autism spectrum disorder], with acceptable tolerability,” as quoted by NORML.

“This is specifically important for the many individuals with [autism spectrum disorder] who are overweight, as cannabinoid treatment was associated with net weight-loss in contrast to the substantial weight gain usually produced by antipsychotics. … These data suggest that cannabinoids should be further investigated in [autism spectrum disorder],” they said.

“Disruptive behavior on the CGI-I [Clinical Global Impression-Improvement scale] was either much or very much improved in 49 percent [of subjects taking] whole-plant extract versus 21 percent on placebo,” they added, as quoted by NORML. “Median SRS [Social Responsiveness Scale] Total Score (secondary-outcome) improved by 14.9 [points] on whole-plant extract versus 3.6 points after placebo.”

Cannabis And Autism

Cannabis or CBD treatment on individuals with autism continues to be the subject of ongoing scientific inquiry—and the source of intense debate.

In 2019, Dr. Eric Hollander, director of the Autism and Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Program and Anxiety and Depression Program at Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx, announced a new clinical trial that would examine the effects of a cannabis compound on patients with autism.

“In some of the animal models that are similar to autism, it was found that CBDV had important effects on social functioning, on decreasing seizures, on increasing cognitive function, and in reducing compulsive or repetitive behavior,” Hollander said at the time. “So for that reason, we wanted to apply that to autism.”

The trial was billed as “the first large clinical study in the United States to test the effectiveness of medical marijuana on certain behaviors in children with autism spectrum disorder.”

In states where medical cannabis has been legalized for treatment, policymakers have grappled with whether or not to add autism to the list of qualifying conditions. Last year in Ohio, for example, a state regulatory board voted to reject adding autism as a qualifying condition.

The board heard a number of public comments both in favor and opposed to the idea. A group of children’s healthcare providers in Ohio strongly opposed the treatment for patients with autism.

“The inclusion of autism and anxiety as conditions has the potential to negatively impact the health and well being of thousands of children in Ohio,” said Sarah Kincaid of the Ohio Children’s Hospital Association. “There is little rigorous evidence that marijuana or its derivatives is of benefit for patients with autism and anxiety, but there is a substantial association between cannabis use and the onset or worsening of several psychiatric conditions.”

weed.6.jpg

CNN​

December 2nd, 2021

CNN SPECIAL REPORT: WEED 6: Marijuana and Autism​

Clinical Trial: Single Dose of CBDV Modulates Atypical Brain Circuitry in Patients with Autism Spectrum Disorder

London, United Kingdom: The administration of the phytocannabinoid CBDV (cannabidivarin) modulates brain chemistry in autistic patients in a manner that is typically associated with better patient outcomes, according to clinical data published in the journal Molecular Autism.

An international team of investigators from Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom assessed the administration of CBDV versus placebo in a cohort of male patients with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Researchers reported that CBDV dosing led to brain changes in the striatum that are typically associated with the mitigation of ASD symptoms.

Authors concluded: “A single dose of CBDV was sufficient to shift atypical striatal FC [functional connectivity] in the mature autistic brain towards the profile found at baseline in neurotypicals. … Future studies are required to determine whether modulation of striatal FC is associated with a change in ASD symptoms.”

Several observational trials have documented behavioral improvements in ASD patients administered whole-plant cannabis extracts. Most recently, a 2021 review of the relevant literature summarized: “Cannabis products [have been demonstrated to] reduce the number and/or intensity of different symptoms, including hyperactivity, attacks of self-mutilation and anger, sleep problems, anxiety, restlessness, psychomotor agitation, irritability, aggressiveness perseverance, and depression. Moreover, they [are associated with an] improvement in cognition, sensory sensitivity, attention, social interaction, and language.”

Authors of the review concluded, “Cannabis and cannabinoids may have promising effects in the treatment of symptoms related to ASD and can be used as a therapeutic alternative in the relief of those symptoms.”

Full text of the study, “Modulation of striatal functioning connectivity differences in adults with and without autism spectrum disorder in a single-dose randomized trial of cannabidivarin,” appears in Molecular Autism. Additional information on cannabis and ASD is available from NORML. (see below)

Autism Spectrum Disorder

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) refers to a group of neurodevelopmental disorders, the symptoms of which include impaired communication and social interaction with restricted or repetitive motor movements. In some instances, it may also be associated with general cognitive deficits. Although ASD can be diagnosed at any age, it is defined as a “developmental disorder” because symptoms typically manifest within the first two years of life. Autism is known as a spectrum disorder because its symptoms can range from mild to debilitating.

Modulation of the endocannabinoid system has been suggested as a target for ASD therapies,[1] and children with ASD have been found to possess lower-than-normal levels of certain endogenous cannabinoids, including anandamide.[2]

In recent years, a growing number of human studies and case reports have documented improvements in ASD patients following the administration of various cannabinoid formulations.[3]

For instance, a 2019 Brazilian observational trial reported that the twice-daily administration of plant-derived CBD extracts was associated with improved ASD symptoms in 14 out of 15 adolescent subjects.[4]

A series of Israeli trials have also documented favorable results. In 2018, researchers reported to the journal Neurology that the administration of CBD-dominant cannabis extracts led to significant improvements in over 60 percent of ASD patients with refractory behavioral problems.[5]

A 2019 study involving 188 patients reported that over 90 percent of subjects who were administered CBD-dominant extracts for a period of at least six months demonstrated “some level of symptomatic improvement.” Approximately one-third of respondents reported a reduction in their intake of other medications. Authors concluded, “Cannabis as a treatment for autism spectrum disorders patients appears to be well-tolerated, safe, and [an] effective option to relieve symptoms, mainly: seizures, tics, depression, restlessness, and rage attacks.”[6]

Yet another Israeli trial completed the same year similarly reported that the use of CBD extracts resulted in “overall improvements” in a cohort of 53 children with ASD.[7]

In 2020, US researchers affiliated with Tufts University in Boston reported on their clinical experience working with children and young adults with ASD who had consumed either cannabis or hemp-based products. Among subjects with ASD-associated aggression, 60 percent reported improvements following treatment. Among subjects diagnosed with both ASD and epilepsy, 91 percent reported some improvement in seizure control.[8]

The following year, Canadian researchers documented the successful treatment of a 15-year-old patient with autism after adding low doses of CBD/THC extracts adjunctively. Researchers reported that the patient’s symptoms improved within six months of treatment, and that he had experienced “positive effects on his behavioral symptoms, anxiety, sleep, and social deficits” since that time.[9]

Most recently, a placebo-controlled clinical trial reported that the administration of whole-plant cannabis extracts were safe and effective in a cohort of 150 adolescents with autism. Researchers reported: “In this study, we have demonstrated for the first time in a placebo-controlled trial that cannabinoid treatment has the potential to decrease disruptive behaviors associated with ASD, with acceptable tolerability. … Disruptive behavior on the CGI-I [Clinical Global Impression-Improvement scale] was either much or very much improved in 49 percent [of subjects taking] whole-plant extract versus 21 percent on placebo. Median SRS [Social Responsiveness Scale] Total Score (secondary-outcome) improved by 14.9 [points] on whole-plant extract versus 3.6 points after placebo.”[10]

A 2021 review of the relevant literature summarized: “Cannabis products [have been demonstrated to] reduce the number and/or intensity of different symptoms, including hyperactivity, attacks of self-mutilation and anger, sleep problems, anxiety, restlessness, psychomotor agitation, irritability, aggressiveness perseverance, and depression. Moreover, they [are associated with an] improvement in cognition, sensory sensitivity, attention, social interaction, and language.” Authors concluded, “Cannabis and cannabinoids may have promising effects in the treatment of symptoms related to ASD, and can be used as a therapeutic alternative in the relief of those symptoms.”[11]

REFERENCES

[1] Zamberletti et al. 2017. The endocannabinoid system and autism spectrum disorders: Insights from animal models. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 18: 1916 [open access journal].

[2] Aran et al. 2019. Lower circulating endocannabinoid levels in children with autism spectrum disorder. Molecular Autism 10 [open access journal].

[3] da Silva et al. 2021. Cannabis and cannabinoid use in autism spectrum disorder: A systematic review. Trends in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy [open access journal].

[4] Fleury-Texeira et al. 2019. Effects of CBD-enriched cannabis sativa extract on autism spectrum disorder symptoms: An observational study of 18 participants undergoing compassionate use. Frontiers in Neurology 10 [open access journal].

[5] Aran et al. 2018. Cannabidiol-based medical cannabis in children with autism: A retrospective feasibility study. Neurology90.

[6] Bar-Lev Schleider et al. 2019. Real life experiences of medical cannabis treatment in autism: Analysis of safety and efficacy. Scientific Reports 9: 200.

[7] Barchel et al. 2019. Oral cannabidiol use in children in with autism spectrum disorder to treat related symptoms and co-morbidities. Frontiers in Pharmacology 9: 1521.

[8] Mostafavi and Gaitanis. 2020. Autism spectrum disorder and medical cannabis: Review and clinical experience. Seminars in Pediatric Neurology 35 [online publication].

[9] Andrea-Ponton et al. 2021. A pediatric patient with autism spectrum disorder and epilepsy using cannabinoid extract as complementary therapy: A case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports [open access journal].

[10] Aran et al. 2021. Cannabinoid treatment for autism: A proof-of-concept randomized trials. Molecular Autism 12 [open access journal].

[11] da Silva et al. 2021. Op. cit.

I think most of us here would have been able to tell these guys that CBD was safe for just about anyone... but glad to hear they've made that fact 'formal.'

Study: CBD Oil Safe, Effective for Autism Patients

The team of Canadian researchers assessed long-term CBD use.

CBD oil may represent an effective treatment option for patients with autism, according to new research published late last month.

The case study, conducted by a team of Canadian researchers and published on August 26 in the journal Cureus, aimed “to demonstrate the use of cannabidiol (CBD) with low-dose tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in managing symptoms associated with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to increase the overall quality of life for these individuals and their families.”

The study centered around a nine-year-old male patient who was diagnosed with nonverbal autism spectrum disorder who “exhibited emotional outbursts, inappropriate behaviors, and social deficits including challenges in communicating his needs with others.”

The nine-year-old patient “required daily insulin injections, which were accompanied by self-injurious actions including head and chest punching,” the researchers said, and he “displayed inappropriate behaviors such as playing with feces and rocking on the floor for self-soothing (stimming).”

“Since the patient was unable to attain independence at school and at home, his condition was a significant burden to his caregivers,” the researchers explained in the abstract. “The patient was treated with full-spectrum high CBD and low THC oil formulation, with each milliliter containing 20 mg of CBD and <1 mg of THC. CBD oil starting dose was 0.1ml twice daily, increased every three to four days to 0.5ml twice daily. Overall, the patient experienced a reduction in negative behaviors, including violent outbursts, self-injurious behaviors, and sleep disruptions. There was an improvement in social interactions, concentration, and emotional stability. A combination of high CBD and low-dose THC oil was demonstrated to be an effective treatment option for managing symptoms associated with autism, leading to a better quality of life for both the patient and the caregivers.”

According to the researchers, the patient “began CBD treatments through a medical cannabis clinic at age 7.5 years starting with full-spectrum high CBD and low THC oil formulation.”

“Within the first two weeks of starting treatment, the patient was able to fall asleep in 10-15 minutes and sleep for 8-10 hours,” they wrote. “He stopped wearing pull-up diapers as he was able to go to the washroom, wash his hands, and go back to bed without supervision, demonstrating a new behavior. There was reduced anxiety contributing to improved mood and concentration. He was able to practise gripping his pencil and trace letters. He started to follow simple instructions, such as retrieving three separate clothing items. At school, the patient received report cards with better grades and experienced less anger. This improvement allowed him to interact with his peers without signs of aggression. The patient’s mother stated, “Since starting CBD, teachers and (the) principal have noted significant positive changes. He sits for over 30 minutes, holds a marker, and is focused enough to try and trace letters or numbers. The change has been amazing for us to witness.”

The researchers concluded that the patient “responded positively to the introduction of CBD oil treatment with reduced negative behaviors, better sleep, and improved communication.”

“With the increasing clinical studies on the use of cannabidiol in treating patients with mood disorders, anxiety, chronic pain conditions, and other behavioral problems, it should be considered as a treatment option in managing symptoms related to autism,” they wrote. “In the case study presented, the child patient has shown behavioral and cognitive improvements with no side effects reported. Altogether, this study presents a case that motivates further research and clinical studies to understand the molecular mechanism of CBD as well as the dosing regimes for pediatric populations, the etiology of ASD, and how various dosing affect different demographics.”

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back