Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Recipe Canna Flour

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
How & Why to Make & Bake With Cannabis Flour

Unlike infused butter and oil, cannabis flour involves cooking with and consuming the whole plant. We don’t use the stems, but we use all the leaves and buds. A good bang for your buck. Of course, you don’t have to use leaves if bud is all you have. Just note that bud-only cannabis flour is a little bit more potent.

The technique here is the easiest, quickest way to make it, and the canna-flour keeps for months and months, at the minimum, in a tightly sealed jar kept cool and out of the sunlight. Not only is it a fiber boost and loaded with great nutrients and medicine, it’s a super simple preparation.

The only downside might be the taste—if you have an aversion to cannabis flavor, this might not be the method for you. That said, with the right amount of sugar and spice you can mask the taste pretty completely. I made French toast last week with crumbs from granola, coconut shreds and canna-flour. Superb.

You’ll need:
• 7 grams of cannabis
• Food processor or coffee grinder
• Sifter

Yield: ¼ cup / Prep time: 10 minutes / Cook time: 45 minutes

MAKE THE CANNA-FLOUR
resize_Canna-flour1.jpg

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)
1. Place cannabis on a rimmed baking sheet in a 240°F oven for 45 minutes to activate the THC (decarboxylate). Allow to cool.

2. Transfer cooled cannabis to a food processor or a clean coffee grinder. Process the cannabis until it becomes a very fine powder.

3. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark, dry place until ready to use. Use within 3 months for optimal freshness.

USE THE CANNA-FLOUR
resize_Canna-flour4.jpg

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)
To use, replace up to ¼ (25%) of the flour the recipes calls for with your cannabis flour. Sift the regular flour and cannabis flour together right before using in your recipe to blend the two together. Sifting together is very important for consistent dosing throughout your baked goods.

PRO TIPS
• When cooking with canna-flour, do not exceed temperatures of 340°F
• Since the plant has a strong flavor, you may need to increase the other strong flavors in your dish to balance out the taste
• 7 grams of cannabis at 15% THC will yield about 100 servings of 10mg THC

Ok, so I "water cured" my material. The water came clear after 4 days, so I have it in the oven now. I'm playing it by ear, as it was wet when it went in, and that's been 30 minutes. Fingers crossed, and wish me luck. We have something going on. It may not be right, but we will try.

Looking forward to hearing your results..... :popcorn:
Thank you. I know I didn't need to "water cure", but am hoping to avoid too much green flavor. I'm water curing ABV as well, to see if ABV flour is a possibility. I will keep you posted. My kitchen was just painted, so it isn't back in order. I can do pix if an undone kitchen can be ignored (a disordered kitchen! On the internet!).

Thank you. I know I didn't need to "water cure", but am hoping to avoid too much green flavor. I'm water curing ABV as well, to see if ABV flour is a possibility. I will keep you posted. My kitchen was just painted, so it isn't back in order. I can do pix if an undone kitchen can be ignored (a disordered kitchen! On the internet!).
Please do take pics if you are so inclined! I think visuals always help in tutorial type posts. :thumbsup:

As to the water curing.... My bet is that it will help.

Thanks for taking one for the team. :science: :biggrin:

So I made the flour as Mom posted. The entire event was not without drama, as first the kitchen walls, then trim were being painted, then we found out that Other Son had broke both food processers. Please excuse background mess, as the kitchen is still being put to rights. My Oster Beehive blender finally produced the flour. I went ahead and made ABV flour out of ABV I had "water cured" and dried.
I decided to use a Fudge Pudding cake recipe using hot, double strength, coffee instead of boiling water. The idea was the cocoa and coffee would mask any weedy flavor.
PHOTO_20190125_144810.jpg
PHOTO_20190125_143626.jpg
PHOTO_20190125_145735.jpg

Oh, I'm making one of each. One with bud flour, one with ABV flour. You will see ingredients measured out for two pudding cakes.

Last edited:
So, we now have two pudding cakes. One was made with 25% Canna flour, one with 25% ABV flour. Both had been "water cured" then dried, to reduce flavor.
PHOTO_20190125_155017.jpg

The white pan is the one with bud flour, the clear ABV flour. 25% was only two Tbsp. each, but I wanted to start low. It's actually fine, as I am totally trashed after sampling the pudding cakes. The pudding layer was wet, of course, so some mucosal absorption seems to have occurred, and I'm seriously trashed. Right here. Sitting in the corner, grinning.
The bud dessert tasted fine. A slight hint of something green (chlorophyll?), but I imagine a scoop of ice cream or some whipped cream would mask that. I ate one cup, in a bowl.
The ABV dessert actually tasted better than the other one. A slight rich back note that's almost, but not quite smokey. I vape on low temps, and don't know if darker ABV would impart a smokier flavor. I'm very happy with having water cured both the bud and ABV. For the most part, you had a mocha flavor. I ate 1/2 cup, from a bowl. Not from a cup.
Now, we wait for the effects. It's been 1/2 hour, and I am feeling it. Usually edibles take longer, so I think the hot pudding helped mucosal absorption. An unintended benefit if you want to get right to it. Don't forget ice cream, or whipped cream. You won't be able to drive after. For real.
The milk, and the butter could also have been infused, but they weren't. I might try it sometime depending on how this goes.
The bud used was Emperor Cookie Dough.
Yeah, could have explained it better, but whoo!! I uderestimated the potency here.

Ok, so USE THIS WITH CAUTION. It works, but it's VERY Potent. For some reason, I thought that two Tablespoons per pudding cake would be a small amount. It was not a small amount. Madri-guy started feeling ill before I did. He was freaking out, and I had to sit him down, have him drink juice, sniff pepper, vape some CBD. There was much encouragement to drink water. I tried to get him to eat, take a shower, but he wasn't able to stand. He did eat raisin toast and drink tea, but in preparing such for him, I was overcome to such an extent that I felt I should faint. Now we were both feeling nausea, dizzy, Madri-Guy kept saying he needed to remind me of Soap Nuts. At the beginning of this all, my daughter had texted "Have you ever used Soap Nuts?" and I texted back, "No. I always get mine neutered ". So that meant something to him, and I felt very much that I was stuck in the Valley Of the Moon, and Glen Ellen and Boyes Springs, Sonoma stuff. My brain was stuck in the wine country, but only certain parts. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get over to the Alexander Valley, even. There wasn't any sense of longing, or home sickness, or memories particularly. Just vivid, out of place place images. I've never had anything like that. Madri-Guy, says he was expecting more like a teaspoon of infused honey, gently carry you off with gentle sensation, while this is careening over a cliff. It felt very disjointed, and like Momento, he reported. Frequently. I kept getting stuck in the Sonoma Valley, he kept talking about Soap Nuts, and time lapses. He then got sick. Really sick, all over the floor, but felt much better afterwards. He cleaned up, took a shower, but felt ver strongly that Despicable Me 3, or Sherlock Gnomes would be too overwhelming. Hey, I wasn't the one freaking out, just the one unable to get off the couch and telling my son that the secret to happiness invokes good restaurants. During all of this, we attempted to do math, and eventually figured out the bud and ABV were concentrated, and much, much, much more potent than we would ever have tried had we not misplaced a decimal point, or something. Right now, about seven hours after consumption, we are both feeling ok. This is the higher end of what we would have preferred, so we are messed up, but not to an unpleasant degree. We don't want to even think of edibles, medibles, right now. I just thought it important to say, I could see a teaspoon per pudding cake, or two at most. But that's a guess, and I'd say, start low. You might not need to make that much flour to begin with, and watercured ABV is more than potent enough to even get sick on, and the flavor is better. Don't waste good bud. Start low to get high. The pepper/CBD/ shower didn't work. Time, and water, and food, and low lights and telling stories helped. So did barfing, in his case. Two Tbls. is far more concentrated in finely ground flour form. It's a lot, and you Do Not want to feel that sick.
The good news is, you could do this with a small amount. Try 1 tsp. per cup flower. Try more next time, but be careful. You won't thank me if you hate your life for 7 hours. You can have a better time with much less. We don't regret trying this, just wouldn't use near as much, if any, ever, next time.

Oh @Madri-Gal .... it sounds like you had a real white knuckle of a ride... And I am shocked that 2 T. of ground herb to a cup of flour did that kind of 'damage.' How much of that pudding cake did you eat?

Unfortunately, there's no coming down off of edibles. You just have to ride them out. That's why caution is needed.

Thanks for taking one for the team....

Soap nuts.... :rofl:

Honestly, Madri-Guy wandered off and was painting the laundry room door in the kitchen, and he hadn't opened doors, windows, or put on a fan. He also painted another door and window trim before I went to find him. It was shortly after this he became so sick, and I think paint fumes were responsible for a good amount of the problems, but I'd still use caution, just in case. And don't paint without proper ventilation. The cake impaired judgement on that one. Even dabbing, I've never had any reaction near that bad, but we both have had strong reactions to chemicals and have become more sensitive after so much exposure with the Other Son situation.
Or it could be just the edible. It sure didn't help, but we are none the worse for the wear, and I don't regret trying it except for Madri-Guy getting sick. Again, there is a strong possibility to think that the cake led to poor judgement in painting without ventilation, and we both got bad headaches from the paint, so there were more fumes than we needed, but it also was after cake consumption so I also want to repeat, use caution with edibles. They do last awhile.
Overall , I think the baking with Canna flour is a winner. It was fun to think about, and easy to do. It may, or may not be extremely potent. I thought the ABV flour was better tasting, and I'd strongly recommend "water curing" both bud and ABV first, as it strongly cuts down on Flavor and odor. I put water curing in quotes, as the weed had been dry cured, and I went through the water curing process after the dry cure to remove taste and smell. Even without the paint complication, it's clear you can get fairly potent results, and if you start small that could be a good thing. I got 1/4 Cup of canna flour, and as much ABV flour, and it will keep properly stored for six months. If you only need a small amount, then this could be great. I wouldn't put the entire 1/4 Cup in a recipe calling for 2 Cups of flour. That would be the original 7 oz. Too expensive, if not too strong.
Anyway, I'd love to hear if anyone else tries it. Thanks for following along.

Can you freeze the cake for future use? I hope you and Madri-Guy, are feeling well rested, and better today.
It's never fun being too trashed, ever. Anyone else, bite the bullet on this one? @Shredder?
I have to make a cheesecake for my hubby this weekend, I promised him.
But, I may do some brownies, for meee. I'll be careful. Thanks, MG.

So, and I recognize asking about dosage for something like this is a little like asking how long rope in general is, but when utilizing ABV for flour, is there a general rule of thumb as to what amount constitutes the average “dose”?

If I know how much should be in each serving I can work backwards.

Thats a funny thing about edibles. What might knock a light user on the floor might not touch the requirements of, say, a chronic pain patient. I'm very careful about sharing recipes with new users they tend to complain of greenouts from one piece, whereas someone with a more developed ECS might gobble 7 or 8 pieces and then flash up a vape. Start low and go slow is good advice, especially when testing a new recipe. Thanks for the trip report :)

Myself and another tech got in trouble on a course, so we were tasked with spending an hour after work cutting and gluing sandpaper onto sanding drums. An hour of cutting paper and smearing it with contact cement. We got really giggly, finished, and when we got over the post-giggles headache associated with inhaling solvents (we went to a bar and drank it off. It was a different time) we had to redo the last couple of dozen drums as we'd just been sticking entire sheets on and giggling about what a great idea it was...

Can you freeze the cake for future use? I hope you and Madri-Guy, are feeling well rested, and better today.
It's never fun being too trashed, ever. Anyone else, bite the bullet on this one? @Shredder?
I have to make a cheesecake for my hubby this weekend, I promised him.
But, I may do some brownies, for meee. I'll be careful. Thanks, MG.

We are both feeling better. Still a bit high, actually. The pudding cakes will be tossed out, but we have the rest of the flours labeled and in the freezer, so we might try again with cookies or brownies, and a much smaller amount. I feel bad for poor Madri-Guy, but he's in a good mood today, and feeling better. He's a great sport, and loves baking, so we just have to figure dosage better.

So, and I recognize asking about dosage for something like this is a little like asking how long rope in general is, but when utilizing ABV for flour, is there a general rule of thumb as to what amount constitutes the average “dose”?

If I know how much should be in each serving I can work backwards.
There might be. There prolly is. I even want to know myself, but it will have to wait until I can figure it out. I know we spent a considerable amount of time last night trying to figure out how much of a dose we got, but we didn't think either of us could work a pencil. If we figure it out, I will post. The good news is, you can make a small amount of flour, and you don't need much.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
For dosing a simple rule of thumb would be to use as much bud per serving as you would use in a vape session. For example, if .5 of a gram is your 'normal', use that amount of ground herb (or ABV) per serving size, and things should be fairly stable. *should be*... :)

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back