Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
The Cannabis Terpene that Can Kill Cancer Cells – Terpineol
by Alex Bradley | April 6, 2017

With terpene science becoming more and more prevalent in our regular lives in the cannabis community, there is more scientific research, developments and innovation being done with terpenes, which is great for medical professionals and even greater for medical patients looking for natural alternatives to synthetic and toxic pharmaceuticals.

Of all the terpenes—and there are over 30 different terpenes found in the cannabis plant—there is one that stands out as one of the most beneficial and most powerful; powerful enough to even kill cancer cells and tumors. Alpha terpineol has been proven to be an anticancer agent in multiple studies. In August 2000, June 2010 and July 2016, alpha terpineol was proven to not only be a powerful cancer-killing agent, it was also proven to be a powerful antioxidant, antibiotic, antidepressant and it was proven to reduce inflammation and pain.

Terpineol creates a floral aroma, often resembling lilacs, clove and citrus, or even apple blossoms. It can also remind one’s olfactory senses of eucalyptus sap. From a flavor perspective, terpineol tastes like mint and anise. Alpha terpineol has also been proven to have sedative properties, great for relaxing and helping people to sleep. Along with CBN, it is one of the terpenes and cannabinoids that help some strains of cannabis provide a couch-lock effect, sedating and relaxing consumers to the point that their bodies feel heavy and immovable.

The medical journal Anticancer Research published a Swedish research study in June 2010, led by Dr. Saadia Bashir Hassan, and the team found alpha terpineol to be an anticancer and antitumor agent. The Swedish research from the University Hospital in Uppsala, Sweden revealed that alpha terpineol might be especially helpful for patients with small cell lung carcinoma. “The results suggest that alpha terpineol inhibits the growth of tumour cells through a mechanism that involves inhibition of the NF-?B pathway,” the study stated.

The study from August 2000 was published in the journal Phytotherapy Research and found 4-terpineol to be a powerful antioxidant with “respectable radical scavenging property” as well.

The study from 2016, published in Chemico-Biological Interactions concluded that alpha terpineol (?TPN), when combined with ?-cyclodextrin (?CD) efficiently reduced hyperalgesia and chronic muscle pain, proving that terpineol can be used for serious inflammation treatment and pain treatment, and specifically could treat patients suffering from fibromyalgia.

An additional study from 2014 found that ?-terpineol kills cancer cells and induces apoptosis in patients with liver cancer that also suppresses tumor cell growth. Science Direct published a study from June 2015 that found alpha terpineol kills cancer cells and inhibit tumor growth as well.

Terpineol is just one of the many beneficial plant-based medicinal compounds that is being studied currently to try and utilize more natural medicines in the treatments of serious illnesses, but so far it is one of the most powerful. It is exciting to see the scientific community support cannabinoid research and cannabinoid therapies over pharmaceuticals; now we just need the FDA and DEA to get behind this science so the majority of the public can not only know about this information but have safe access to alternative natural therapies that utilize cannabinoids, and the cannabis plant.

Since we are limited in how many pics are allowed per post, I have decided to refrain from posting the bud pics in this article. If you would like to see what each strain looks like, follow the link in the title for the original article or click on the individual strain name and it will take you to a page that describes that strain in detail.

These Are The Best Cannabis Strains For Cancer Treatments

Delilah Butterfield 15 June, 2017

Hoping that medical cannabis with help ease chemo symptoms and fight cancer? While there is a growing body of research on the subject, there is still much to be discovered about medical cannabis and cancer. It is clear, however, that smoking may be the least helpful. Vaporization, tinctures, oils, and edibles are considered the best bet. However you decide to consume, here are the best cannabis strains for cancer.

Cannabis strains for cancer pain

Pain is one of the most dreaded side effects of chemotherapy. While cannabis may not have you jumping for joy, the herb can sure put a damper on chronic pain. In fact, research suggests that patients often prefer the plant to harsh opioid painkillers. Here are a few pain-fighting cannabis strains for cancer to consider:

1. Chemo
As the name might suggest, this strain is thought to be helpful for managing symptoms of chemotherapy. A heavy indica, Chemo is a powerful nighttime strain that originated in Canada. In some laboratory tests, this bud has tested as high as 29 percent THC. The downside to this flower is that it can be a bit difficult to find.

Alternate strains include:

2. Harlequin
Some of the best pain-fighting strains will also make you drowsy. Not Harlequin. This flower is a high-CBD sativa that features a 5:2 ratio of CBD to THC. Combining the two cannabinoids is thought to amplify pain relief and other medicinal properties. This strain is safe to consume during the day. While this bud does improve mood, it will not provide much of a psychoactive high.

Alternate strains include:

3. Purple Kush
Purple Kush is one of the most popular indica buds out there. Like Chemo, this indica bud is a powerful sedative. In some tests, THC levels have reached as high as 27 percent THC. This is a strain is a mix of landrace indica strains, giving it powerful euphoric and pain-fighting properties. This flower is one you’ll want to pull out when you have no important mental tasks ahead.

Hoping to fight pain and fatigue during the day? Some less sedative alternatives include:

Cannabis strains for nausea and vomiting

Apart from pain, chemotherapy can cause nausea, vomiting, and lack of appetite. Fortunately, it’s well-known that THC stimulates hunger and can ease an upset stomach. Here are a few strains that may help with chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting:

1. Jillybean
Jillybean is a delightful hybrid famous for its easygoing vibe and sweet citrus taste. Considered a sativa-dominant hybrid, this strain provides an uplifting and relaxed attitude. Coincidentally, Jillybean also happens to fight nausea and increase appetite. This strain is perfect for daytime relief and can also improve mood and promote alertness.

Some alternatives include:

2. God’s Gift
For those in need of some seriously potent relief, God’s Gift might just be the answer. God’s Gift is a favorite among those in need of powerful pain relief. Yet, this bud will also cause a bad case of the munchies and can put a damper on a queasy stomach. While considered a nighttime flower, this strain can be vaporized about 30 minutes before a meal to kickstart appetite and build anticipation.

3. Super Lemon Haze
Super Lemon Haze is a very popular sativa strain. This flower is quite potent, often featuring up to 25 percent THC. Unlike many other strains included in this list, Super Lemon Haze provides more of a head-centered experience. However, this flower is also known to ease gastrointestinal distress, including nausea and vomiting. As a bonus, Super Lemon Haze may help fight depression and chronic fatigue as well!

Cannabis strains for full extract cannabis oils

Many medical cannabis patients like to use high doses of full extract cannabis oil in hopes of reducing tumors and ridding themselves of cancer. Unfortunately, there is no clinical, human evidence to support these claims. Cancer treatments are highly individual and each person may respond differently to various types of cannabis.

Still, preclinical evidence sheds some light on what kinds of strains might be appropriate for certain conditions.

When making full extract cannabis oil at home, it may be best to use multiple strains in your concoction. The thought is that multiple strains will provide a greater diversity of beneficial cannabinoids and terpenoids, which are the aroma molecules found in plant resins. Here are some cannabis strains worth considering for cancer:

1. Pennywise
There is still much research to be done on cannabis and cancer. Yet, both THC and CBD have been found to have strong anti-cancer properties in cell and animal models. Pennywise is an indica strain with a 1:1 ratio of THC to CBD. Not only does this flower provide a very relaxed, mellow vibe, but it includes high levels of both dominant cannabinoids.

Some other 1:1 strains include:

2. Alien OG
Alien OG is a high-THC hybrid that is popular among cancer patients. This strain tends to produce between 20 and 28 percent THC, making it extremely potent. Early researchsuggests that glioblastomas, a particular kind of brain cancer, responds better to THC than to CBD.

Alien OG is an indica-leaning hybrid with powerful pain-fighting and sedative effects. It tends to have an uplifting nature, making it a good choice for times when you’re feeling a little blue.

Some additional high-THC strains to consider include:

3. Harle-Tsu
The early cancer research thus far has shown that THC effectively kills a wide variety of cancer cells in laboratory and animal models. Yet, in breast cancer, early evidence suggests that higher levels of CBD may be more beneficial for killing cancer cells. Harle-Tsu is a high CBD strain that can produce a 20:1 ratio of CBD to THC.

Other strains that produce similar ratios include:

Note: the information in this article is intended for educational purposes and should not be used in place of medical advice or treatment.

HORMONALLY SENSITIVE BREAST CANCER & THC
July 28, 2017 Allan Frankel, MD

Does THC increase estrogen levels or sensitivity, potentially worsening hormonally sensitive breast cancer?

Individuals diagnosed with a hormonally sensitive breast cancer will most likely receive some form of estrogen blocker, possibly in conjunction with other therapies or procedures. If they are advised that adding THC to their treatment plan may increase estrogen levels or have estrogen like effects on their cancer, it is perfectly natural to question using cannabis medicines containing THC. This may result in the use of a cannabis medicine containing significantly less THC, which I have found to be a less effective therapy.

I first heard discussions about potential negative effects of THC on hormonally sensitive breast cancer about a year ago. My first reaction was we just didn’t know enough to make a definitive statement. Personally, my research on the subject had not led me to a conclusion I was comfortable with. Thankfully, there is continuing research, and I have continued to do thorough searches of the National Library of Medicine.

I have found several dozen articles on the subject. With the exception of one pretty old article, I found both THC and CBD are shown to reduce estrogen levels and block estrogen effects.

As you will read in the referenced articles below, this is achieved in a number of different ways. THC has effects on estrogen receptors, the pituitary gland and other locations related to estrogen production and levels.

So, the findings indicate THC is not an issue to use with hormonally sensitive breast cancer; in fact, it might actually help.

Below are a few good articles. There are many, many more.
Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits 17beta-estradiol-induced proliferation and fails to activate androgen and estrogen receptors in MCF7 human breast cancer cells.

Δ(9)-Tetrahydrocannabinol disrupts estrogen-signaling through up-regulation of estrogen receptorβ (ERβ).

Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits 17beta-estradiol-induced proliferation and fails to activate androgen and estrogen receptors in MCF7 human breast cancer cells.

Antiestrogenic effects of marijuana smoke condensate and cannabinoid compounds.

Evidence for a direct anterior pituitary site of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol action.

Specific inhibition of FSH-stimulated cAMP accumulation by delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol in cultured rat granulosa cells.

Cannabis and skin cancer
by Baynard Woods
May 24, 2017

'I've been preaching about [how] cannabis cures cancer since 2008," Laurie Gaddis says. And she's been preaching it because it works.

Gaddis moved to Colorado from Arizona after she was diagnosed with a rare form of skin cancer she says comes from her father's exposure to Agent Orange in the Vietnam War. She says she's been a medical marijuana refugee for nearly a decade.

The patchwork of state laws under a federal ambiguity that has gotten worse with Attorney General Jeff Sessions' anti-pot statements has created hundreds of medical marijuana refugees who have to move to a state where they can get the kind of medicine either they or their doctor feel is necessary.

Gaddis has never had to undergo chemo or radiation therapy. She still has problems, but she is alive. And relatively well.

"I am in a blessed position," she says of her life in Colorado. "I'm glad I am, but I think everybody should have that opportunity. It upsets me that other people are suffering every day and don't know what to do."

She says she can remember what it felt like with the choice of being "illegally alive or legally dead."

Gaddis treated her cancer with a homemade cannabis oil similar to that made famous by Rick Simpson.

Simpson was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma in 2003. When no other treatments seemed to work, he applied a cannabis oil to his skin. Simpson says that within four days, his cancer was cured.

Simpson has written books and tells people how to make the oil — using a super high-potency THC indica — but does not sell it, though others do.

Gaddis, who has used oil topically and also ingests it, hasn't had quite the success of a total cure in four days. She still struggles. But as she experiments with her own oils, she's discovered a lotion that she says seems to also work for arthritis. And, unlike oils or other topicals, it is not greasy. "I'm not bonding the cannabis to the fat, so it's not a greasy formula at all," she says. "It absorbs beautifully and gets right into where it needs to go."

This, she says, could be revolutionary for conditions like hers. Cannabis could be in sunscreen lotion, potentially helping to keep people from developing skin cancer.

"We're just now starting to realize how effective this medicine is and how many people's lives it's changing," she said.

Dr. Stuart Titus, the CEO of the first publicly traded medical cannabis company, Medical Marijuana Inc., has been involved with various studies overseas, where it is legal to study the medical effects of cannabis. He says that Gaddis is not alone.

"Currently there is a study underway in Australia, where the incidence of melanoma cancer is quite rampant," he says. "They're looking at a topical as well as ingestible application."

MMI makes an oil similar to the Rick Simpson Oil, except it has a high concentration of CBD instead of THC, and while they have not been able to study the results as thoroughly as they would like, he says he has anecdotal stories about its success for skin cancer. But he says that the body has numerous cannabinoid receptors, and large doses of CBD such as are legal in Florida, even without any intoxicating effect, can have tremendous benefit.

It was easy to hear stories of success at a recent medical marijuana conference in Washington, D.C. Christine Stenquist, who came to the capital from Utah, was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 1996. "During surgery a blood vessel was hit; when I awoke I had left side paralysis, I had chronic pain and a litany of issues. For 16 years I've been bedridden and housebound. Four years ago, I discovered cannabis and it's changed my life," she said in front of a couple dozen people at a press conference in front of the U.S. Capitol building.

Her state won't take action on medical pot until the feds do.

Nicole Snow is from Massachusetts, which just legalized recreational marijuana, which is far better. But because there is no federal protection there are still issues, say, for children who need cannabis as medicine. Patients, Snow says, "have very different needs than adult users."

"We need our home rights, residential protection, discrimination protection, protections from losing our jobs, protection from losing our kids, protection from losing our health care," she says. "Which is absurd."

Gaddis says such laws are "so disrespectful to the millions of lives" like hers that have been changed and perhaps saved by cannabis. "People are changing their lives," she said. "They're becoming free from prescription drugs, they're able to interact with their families and it's changing the quality of their life."

I've mentioned this before... but whenever I see an article like this I feel I need to reiterate. While I have never had cancer and haven't been on the traditional form of chemotherapy, I have taken Interferon which is used for treating melanoma. However, it wasn't called chemo; it was called 'treatment.' I've always felt that this was because of the nature of the disease I had; HepC. The side effects were very similar to chemo; nausea, chronic pain, fatigue and hair loss. And, as I said before, I couldn't have completed treatment without having used cannabis. My side effects were so bad.... and the cannabis helped me be able to eat small amounts and sometimes sleep.

Chemotherapy And Cannabis Treatment
by Adam Rhodes November 27, 2017

Cancer affects almost 40% of the population.
Chemotherapy is a part of many peoples lives, including children. A 2014 studyestimated that 15,780 children and teens learned what it means to have cancer that year. That same study found that 1,960 also died from the disease. The remaining 13,820 children had to receive treatment. Most elect for some form of radiation or chemotherapy if surgery isn’t an option.

Anecdotal (evidence based on personal observations and experience) evidence about the effectiveness of cannabis in treating cancer is strong. So strong that there are many studies trying to disprove their claims. Yet the studies consistently (for many types of cancer) show concrete evidence supporting the claims.

It is through these scientific studies that we have learned that cannabis is a powerful phytonutrient and antiseptic. Studies also prove that cannabis is linked to tumor reduction and apoptosis. Specifically in breast, lung, prostate, colon cancer but a variety of others are under consideration as well.

Thousands of people use cannabis in conjunction with chemotherapy.
Not everyone uses it the same way though. There are a variety of ways canna-consumers incorporate it into their treatment. From Rick Simpson Oil (RSO) to edibles and micro-dosing, the world of cannabis does not require a pipe or patchouli oil. If cannabis is a treatment you decide to use, it doesn’t mean you have to be a stereotypical stoner.

Every cancer journey is unique. After diagnosis, it is up to YOU to determine the path you take. Traditional cancer therapy (chemo, radiation or surgery) is part of standard protocol. But certain cancers may require a combination of methods to properly remove.

Cannabis can play many roles in treatment. Research shows that cannabis is a great adjunct for system relief and healing after invasive procedures. While a typical course of chemotherapy significantly reduces overall immune system function, using cannabis supports quick recovery.

Cannabis provides verifiable symptom relief.

Multiple studies prove that cannabis provides symptom relief of chemotherapy. An Israeli study recently followed 200 traditionally-treated cancer patients. They found that cannabis use led to “significant improvements” in symptoms overall, including the symptoms and immediate side effects of chemotherapy.

According to the National Cancer Society (NCS), cannabis may help relieve a myriad of side-effects from chemo. These include: nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, fatigue, itchiness and rash, nerve damage and pain associated with neuropathy. Not to mention their positive effects on generalized pain, and emotional imbalance and mood issues, including anxiety and depression.

In addition to whole plant or natural extracts, the FDA approved Dronabinol to treat “some conditions.” Known by the drug name Marinol, this synthetic cannabinoid treatment is considered less effective than organic cannabis. It also has certain ‘unique’ side effects like neurologic issues and possible seizures.

Cannabis rarely interferes with treatment.
Traditional oncologists may discourage using cannabis while on chemo or radiation treatments. They may claim it could interfere with the treatment and suggest abstaining. It is important to listen to healthcare professionals but treatment is a personal choice.

It is important to remember that thousands of people use cannabis in conjunction with other treatments. Most individuals experience no negative side effects on their treatment. In fact, physicians in medical marijuana states often recommend using cannabis.

In a recent article for Newsweek, Dr. Donald Abrams, Chief of Hematology-oncology at San Francisco General Hospital said “I could write six different prescriptions, all of which may interact with each other or the chemotherapy that the patient has been prescribed,” He followed up by saying “Or I could just recommend trying one medicine.” referring to medical marijuana.

Marijuana acts synergistically with our bodies to promote healing.

The hardest part about chemotherapy is the toll it takes on the body. The majority of people who undergo treatment experience reductions in immune system function. This reduction can last anywhere from months to years after treatment finishes.

A 2016 article in the journal Breast Cancer Research reported that chemotherapy led to long-term changes in the immune system. These changes included lower than average levels of lymphocytes and natural killer cells (also known as NK cells, K cells and killer cells). These are main elements of the immune system and it’s their job to destroy pathogens like cancer cells.

Modern science has revealed that humans have a special element in our immune system. Called the endocannabinoid system, it helps the body achieve homeostasis and balance. Animals without this system (like insects or birds) don’t process THC or other cannabinoids so gain no benefit from using them.

How does the endocannabinoid system interact with cancer?
In addition to providing a boost to recovery and immune system health, cannabinoids interact with the body in many ways. Cannabinoid receptors in the nervous system (called CB1 and CB2 cells) effect everything from hunger to tumor production.

A decrease in endocannabinoids may increase cancer cell tumor production. Researches in a 2008 preclinical trial conducted tests with colon cancer cells at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas. Their research indicates that cannabinoids have a preventative effect on certain types of cancer.

In addition to reducing cancer cell development, cannabinoids seem to calm the immune system and offer anti-inflammatory properties. This is a key part of healing under any circumstances but is especially important when dealing with cancer. Cannabinoid interactions also show increases in immune-system function.

Oncologists see the benefits of medical marijuana.
Medical marijuana is gaining ground nationally. Oncologists and patients can see the benefits and challenges of integrating cannabis into treatment. Over a fifteen years ago, Harvard conducted a study where 44% of traditional oncologists advised marijuana use. A more recent study found almost half of the physicians surveyed supported medical marijuana.

These studies combine to show that patients have more options than ever. While many hospitals still ban doctors from prescribing/recommending medical marijuana, that number is decreasing. Thanks to scientific studies proving the efficacy of medical marijuana and the ceaseless efforts of the community, there are more options than ever.

Cannabinoids used in sequence with chemotherapy are a more effective treatment for cancer
New research has confirmed that cannabinoids - the active chemicals in cannabis - are effective in killing leukaemia cells, particularly when used in combination with chemotherapy treatments.

International Journal of Oncology. He said: “We have shown for the first time that the order in which cannabinoids and chemotherapy are used is crucial in determining the overall effectiveness of this treatment."

“These extracts are highly concentrated and purified, so smoking marijuana will not have a similar effect. But cannabinoids are a very exciting prospect in oncology, and studies such as ours serve to establish the best ways that they should be used to maximise a therapeutic effect.”

Cannabinoids are the active chemicals in cannabis, known more specifically as phytocannabinoids. When extracted from the plant and purified, they have been shown to possess anticancer properties, especially in certain cancers of the brain.

Researchers looked at cancer cells in the laboratory, trying different combinations of cannabinoids against leukaemia cells. They tested whether existing chemotherapy treatments worked effectively alongside the cannabinoids, and whether using the drugs in a different order had an effect.

A number of clinical studies are underway that are assessing the full potential of cannabinoids in patients with cancer. Researchers say more trials need to be carried out to establish the veracity of the claims.

Reactions: BD9
Watch What Happens When Cannabis Is Injected Into Cancer Cells.

Cannabis has been shown to possess anti-tumor properties since 1974. The study from this study was reported in Washington Post in August 18, 1974, showing that “ THC, a cannabis`s compound slowed the growth of lung cancers, breast cancers and a virus-induced leukemia in laboratory mice, and prolonged their lives by as much as 36 percent.”

A year later, a 1975 study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute entitled “Antineoplastic Activity of Cannabinoids,” reported that “Lewis lung adenocarcinoma growth was retarded by the oral administration of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabinol (CBD). Mice treated for 20 consecutive days with THC and CBD had reduced primary tumor size.”

According to a 1998 research done by scientists at Madrid’s Complutense University Led by Dr. Manuel Guzman, THC induces programmed cell death in brain cells selectively, meaning that it kills off affects cells and leaves the healthy ones intact. The team of researchers reported in the March 2002 issue of “Nature Medicine” that injecting rats with THC had destroyed their brain cancer cells. Moreover, in 2007 Harvard researchers discovered that the compounds found in cannabis inhibit the growth of lung cancer. The organization called the SETH Group showed that cannabis`s compounds can even inhibit the growth of glioblastoma multiform (GBM) brain cancer cells. “No chemotherapy can match this non-toxic anti-cancer action,”– the group stated. Ultimately, a 2012 study done by the scientist at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco found THC stops metastasis in many types of aggressive cancer.

Check out the video below and watch how THC kills cancer cells:

Hemp Shows Potential for Treating Ovarian Cancer

Results from some of the first studies to examine hemp's ability to fight cancer show that it might one day be useful as plant-based treatment for ovarian cancer. Hemp is part of the same cannabis family as marijuana but doesn't have any psychoactive properties or cause addiction.

Sara Biela and Chase Turner, graduate students in the lab of Wasana Sumanasekera at Sullivan University College of Pharmacy in Kentucky, will present new findings tied to hemp's anti-cancer properties at the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology annual meeting during the 2018 Experimental Biology meeting to be held April 21-25 in San Diego.

"Hemp, like marijuana, contains therapeutically valuable components such as cannabidiol, cannabinol, and tetrahydrocannabinol," explained Biela. "However, unlike marijuana, hemp's therapeutic ability has not been studied in detail."

Two new studies examined the therapeutic potential of an extract known as KY-hemp, which is produced from hemp grown in Kentucky. The plant strain, growing conditions and processing techniques were all optimized to produce an extract containing substances with potential therapeutic benefit and to eliminate any residue that could contaminate the product.

In one study, the researchers found that adding various doses of KY-hemp extract to cultured ovarian cells led to significant dose-dependent slowing of cell migration. This finding indicated that the extract might be useful for stopping or slowing down metastasis -- the spreading of cancer to other parts of the body.

In a second study, the researchers explored the biology of KY-hemp's protective effects against ovarian cancer, which they had observed in previous studies. Experiments with cultured ovarian cancer cells showed that KY-hemp slowed the secretion of the interleukin IL-1 beta. Interleukins produce inflammation that can be damaging and has been linked to cancer progression. The hemp-induced slowing of IL-1 β secretion represents a possible biological mechanism responsible for KY-hemp's anti-cancer effects.

"Our findings from this research as well as prior research show that KY hemp slows ovarian cancer comparable to or even better than the current ovarian cancer drug Cisplatin," said Turner. "Since Cisplatin exhibits high toxicity, we anticipate that hemp would carry less side effects. However, that needed to be tested in the future."

The researchers plan to test the extract in mice after they complete additional studies in cultured cancer cells to learn more about how it leads to cancer cell death.

This article has been republished from materials provided by Experimental Biology 2018. Note: material may have been edited for length and content. For further information, please contact the cited source.

Early on in animal advocacy, reviewed a standard rodent cancer bioassay in which cannabis was tested by feeding rats a very large dose every day for two years, the rats' life-spans. While such assays are of little value for predicting whether a substance causes cancer in humans, this study produced a curious effect - the rats who ate cannabis had significantly fewer tumors than the controls who ate their normal diet!

This strain of rats normally produce tumors at a high, background rate, and cannabis was actually protective.

Just wanted to share....

I am followed (for my type of cancer) at a well known hospital on the East Coast. I’m in remission at this point.

I’ve been open about MJ in the past and most of the MD’s seem to be interested or curious more than anything else. Some just laugh. Occasionally I’ll get the “here we go again” facial expression.

I was in an exam room with four doctors and two NPs and they were asking about this and that. The topic of supplements came up and I guess I laughed. One doctor joked “Time to come clean.” So, I talked about my usage of cannabis and cbd products. One wanted to know if I was buying on the street or via a dispensary.

Anyway, without any prompting whatsoever one piped up and said ”if it’s ever an issue let me know, I’ll write a get out of jail free letter for you.”

Couldn’t believe it....

Just wanted to share....

I am followed (for my type of cancer) at a well known hospital on the East Coast. I’m in remission at this point.

I’ve been open about MJ in the past and most of the MD’s seem to be interested or curious more than anything else. Some just laugh. Occasionally I’ll get the “here we go again” facial expression.

I was in an exam room with four doctors and two NPs and they were asking about this and that. The topic of supplements came up and I guess I laughed. One doctor joked “Time to come clean.” So, I talked about my usage of cannabis and cbd products. One wanted to know if I was buying on the street or via a dispensary.

Anyway, without any prompting whatsoever one piped up and said ”if it’s ever an issue let me know, I’ll write a get out of jail free letter for you.”

Couldn’t believe it....

Good story!! Keep up the good work.. Love cannabis positive stories.

So, I talked about my usage of cannabis and cbd products. One wanted to know if I was buying on the street or via a dispensary.

Couldn’t believe it....
What a great outcome. And it's wonderful to hear of doctors that are supportive of cannabis in any way. I'm so happy for you that you have found a good group of doctors for your care. And congratulations again on being in remission. That's the best news ever.

Investigation: Leading cancer professor on trial suggesting medical cannabis may keep patients alive longer

21pacsp_CarolineBurns8.jpg-e1529782889361-900x540.jpg

Caroline and Gary Burns at home last week. Caroline has been using cannabis oil to help treat her brain tumour (Andrew Cawley / DC Thomson)

A LEADING cancer specialist whose patients took part in a clinical trial for a cannabis-based drug believes the results are “encouraging.”

Professor Anthony Chalmers, head of clinical oncology at Glasgow University, said the results revealing a cannabis drug called Sativex may prolong a patient’s life should be followed by more extensive research.

His comment came as some patients with brain tumours illegally import medical cannabis to treat tumours previously labelled incurable.

The legality of medical cannabis is under review by the Home Office after the mother of a severely epileptic boy was stopped at Heathrow while returning from Canada with a supply.

Professor Chalmers’ patients were part of an international drug study showing 83% of patients were alive a year later compared with 53% of those who did not get the cannabis drug.

The highly aggressive tumours, glioblastomas, normally leave most patients with a life expectancy of just 12 to 18 months.

Professor Chalmers said: “The study was small and looked at 21 patients.

“It was a small number, but encouraging enough for more research to look a larger one with more patients.

“We would hope to take part in future trials with Sativex.”

If he was faced with the same dilemma as his patients, Professor Chalmers admitted he would give serious thought to taking cannabis produced under strict laboratory conditions.

“I would consider it if standard treatment had failed.”

Some of his patients have turned to importing cannabis oil illegally after chemo and or radiotherapy failed to make any impact on their brain tumours.

They include Caroline Burns, 34, from Cumbernauld, whose tumour shrunk by 26%.

She is alive three years after being given three months to live. Her family import illegal cannabis from Canada.

Professor Chalmers calls her “the best result among glioma patients”.

But medical trials have to look at large numbers of patients to glean good evidence on what works.

Professor Chalmers draws a distinction between street cannabis and medical cannabis imported from reputable laboratories.

“Street cannabis contains dangerous chemicals, in the way tobacco does,” he said.

“Cannabis produced in reputable laboratories is different.”

Professor Chalmers comments were supported by neurology professor, John Paul Leach, who has treated epilepsy patients for more than 25 years in Glasgow hospitals.

He said: “I’m asked by parents of children where they can get cannabis preparations but have to warn them that online drug sources can be expensive and dangerous.

“Supplies may vary hugely in their content. Pharmaceutical preparations of cannabis are much more tightly prepared and consistent because of the care taken in making highly purified products in controlled labs.

“While some patients may be taking cannabis preparations without our knowledge, I would urge them to be honest with doctors as cannabis derivatives may interact badly with prescribed drugs.”

He said some trials had shown improvement in some patients but larger studies are needed to provide more evidence in other types of epilepsy.

Home Secretary, Sajid Javid, announced a review into medical cannabis use last Monday.

It came after teenager Billy Caldwell was hospitalised because of his epileptic fits after customs officers seized cannabis oil from his mother, Charlotte, as she returned from Canada.

It was returned after the Home Secretary intervened. He is also aware of the case the case of Caroline, from Cumbernauld, whose family are risking risk prosecution to save her.

Her MP, Stuart McDonald, said: “I have told Sajid Javid the desperate measures Caroline and her family have taken.Desperately-ill people don’t have months to wait for an inquiry.

“Good people can’t be asked to play cat and mouse with the law to save their lives.”

Caroline’s story: “I got a note asking me to collect the parcel at the Post Office. I feared I was about to be arrested”

21pacsp_CarolineBurns4.jpg.jpg

Caroline and her dad, Pat (Andrew Cawley / DC Thomson)

Caroline Burns’ family are risking arrest and and stretching their finances to the limit to import the
cannabis-based drug they are convinced is keeping her alive.

The drug, arriving from Canada, costs between £1000 and £1500 a month and, they believe, has helped shrink her brain tumour.

Her dad, Pat O’Hara, 63, a retired fire fighter and assistant divisional officer, says he once feared arrest when he was asked to collect the regular package from the post office.

Pat, from Cumbernauld, said: “Instead of it coming to my home, I got a note telling me to collect it from the post office.

“I wondered if I would be arrested when I turned up.

“But instead, I was asked to pay £15 VAT on the package.

“It was covered in Customs stickers.

“The delivery arrives described as a different product, and not cannabis. We are law-abiding people who are not comfortable importing cannabis.

“But I don’t know a parent who wouldn’t go to drastic measures, to save their child.”
Caroline, mum to Jack, said: “I am so lucky to have such a loving family.

“My husband Gary, an energy sector consultant, also works tirelessly to keep me alive,”
Caroline also gets Sativex on a private prescription, costing £500 a year.

The drug showed increased survival in a small trial of 21 people with Caroline’s brain tumour shrinking by 26%

The family welcome the government review into medical cannabis, announced last week.

“We want it to be quick and efficient because desperately ill people need that,” Pat added.

He is also exploring other ways to get Caroline the drug legally.

Cannabis oil itself is illegal to possess, supply or use.

The law changed to recognise a type called CBD as a medicine.

This is down to scientific studies into its use.

The THC type, which has psychotropic effects that get people high, is not.

Caroline takes both THC and CBD along with the drug Sativex.

She continues to attend The Beatson cancer unit in Glasgow. Regular scans monitor her progress.

Struan’s story: “I promised my late wife I’d do everything to help our son”

Dad-of-two, Struan Robertson, from Haddington, East Lothian, is using imported cannabis oil from the USA for his teenage son, Max.

The 16-year-old has a genetic condition called Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and suffers major seizures.

Standard anti-convulsants have failed to stop them.

Struan, 51, gave up his full-time offshore engineer job to look after Max after his wife, Lorraine, died age 43, from cancer last year.

“I promised Lorraine I would do everything I could to make life easier for Max,” said Struan.

“We are living on benefits and barely able to survive after buying the cannabis oil.

“Max’s seizures have decreased on this oil.

“We just want the government review to give medical cannabis the go-ahead and help youngsters like Max.

“What parent wouldn’t want to save their child?”

Brenda’s story: “I felt defeated, done. But since taking cannabis oil I feel so well”

Brenda Davidson, 56, from Nairn, believes medical cannabis has hugely improved her sciatica.

The care worker says she was on the point of giving up work because her back pain was so severe.

She said: “I worked in a cafe at the time and couldn’t stand for long. I felt defeated and done.

“But since taking CBD cannabis oil I have improved hugely. I have even changed jobs to becoming a carer, I feel so well now.”

She spends £55 for a supply that will last her from six to nine months.

Police: Legalise it for patients

Cannabis-based drugs should be allowed for medical use, according to Scotland’s frontline police.

But Calum Steele, general secretary of the Scottish Police Federation, warned of potential consequences of legalising the drug for recreational use.

It follows Home Secretary Sajid Javid announcing a review of the medicinal use of cannabis. Mr Javid has stressed cannabis should remain banned for recreational use.

Mr Steele said: “There are more than 400 components contained within cannabis. If there are health benefits from various individual or combined components, it seems illogical they are not utilised.

“The issue of cannabis and its health benefits or potential health benefits need to be taken apart from the question of whether they should be legalised for recreational use.”

Mr Steele said any suggestion that criminal activities associated with cannabis being illegal would disappear with decriminalisation was overly simplistic and optimistic.

Managing Melanoma with Cannabis

Getty
Melanoma is one of the most dangerous forms of skin cancer that develops in melanin-producing cells (brown pigment of the skin) called melanocytes. Melanoma can develop as a result of skin exposure to harmful UV rays from the sunlight, leading to the mutation (abnormal changes) of certain DNA called BRAF mutations. Irreparable DNA damage in the skin cells typically leads to formation of malignant tumor(s) in the melanocytes, present in the basal layer of the epidermis (skin). Melanoma is a complex disease, often resembling moles with characteristic black or brown color, but also in pink, skin-colored and purple colors.

Commonly, melanoma is classified into four types:

• Superficial spreading melanoma – a most common form of melanoma, which spreads on the skin top layer over years before spreading to other body parts. Usually a benign mole can turn into this type of melanoma. This form is most common in young adults.
  • Lentigo maligna – often classified as a precancerous lesion characterized by flat or moderately elevated, mottled tan or dark brown coloration. Most commonly seen in the elderly.
  • Acral lentiginous melanoma – usually appears as brown or black discoloration and present in the soles of the extremities or beneath the nails. Common in African Americans and Asians. As it is often diagnosed in the later stages, it could be invasive at the time of diagnosis.
  • Nodular melanoma – characterized by black, gray, red or brown tan discoloration with bump(s). Usually invasive at the time of diagnosis.
  • Ocular melanoma – develops in the melanocytes of the eye. Not commonly diagnosed.
  • Amelanotic and desmoplastic melanomas – often aggressive and difficult to diagnose due to lack of pigmentation.
Early diagnosis and treatment can cure melanoma. If left undiagnosed or untreated, the malignancy is likely to spread to distant organs and can be fatal. Once melanoma spreads to other parts of the body, it is known as metastatic melanoma, and it becomes more difficult to treat. During the later stages, melanoma can spread to the lungs, liver, brain, and bones. Melanoma is the fifth common malignancy in the United States, claiming over 10,150 lives every year.

Some of the reported risk factors for developing melanoma are dysplastic nevi (abnormal moles), having more than 50 ordinary moles, fair skin that is more prone to sunburns, weakened immune system, more exposure to UV radiation, severe blistering sunburns and clinical or familial history of melanoma.

Melanoma is generally treated by the stage and location of the malignancy. The standard treatment is surgical excision with or without radiation therapy, immunotherapy, and chemotherapy and imiquimod cream. Even these treatments cannot cure melanoma, and recurrence is not uncommon in most patients.

The incidence of cutaneous melanoma is increasing, and treatment outcomes are generally poor. Development of targeted therapies for driver mutations such as BRAF/MEK appears to be novel, but the emergence of drug resistance is inevitable. Most of the patients are unresponsive to immunotherapies, which questions the rationale of breakthrough therapies, prompting the scientific community to look into alternative approaches for the treatment of metastatic melanoma.

Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Promotes Apoptosis and Autophagy in Melanoma Cells

Autophagy is a lysosomal-mediated cell scavenging mechanism for the removal of damaged or aged organelles and proteins. Under normal health conditions, autophagy turnover is normal and based on metabolic stress; whereas in a diseased state, activationof autophagy is against pathogens and abnormal cells. In early stages of cancer, autophagy inhibits tumorigenesis, whereas in advanced stages autophagy acts as an energy supplier, and contributes to drug resistance to cytotoxic therapies. By exacerbation, cytotoxic autophagy can be induced to promote cell death and treat cancer. Targeting ER stress response and cytotoxic autophagy could represent significant therapeutic value for the treatment of cancers – including metastatic melanoma.

Among the cannabinoids, THC is being investigated as a promising cannabinoid for the treatment of various cancers. In vitro studies have shown that THC activates cytotoxic autophagy, resulting in apoptosis in the melanoma cell lines. Administration of THC induces apoptosis in dendritic cells via caspase cascade-dependent mitochondrial pathways (mediated by cannabinoid receptors). THC exerts anticancer properties via up-regulation of transcriptional coactivator p8, induction of autophagy and endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and execution of apoptosis. This cytotoxic pathway is mediated by p8/TRIB3 and autophagy-induced upstream of apoptosis.

THC exerts anti-tumor effects via the activation of non-canonical autophagy, and resultant apoptosis in melanoma cells. Although the complete mechanisms underlying these benefits have been not understood, it is believed to be due to the effect of THC (via de novo synthesis of ceramide) in the activation of ER stress, inhibition of TRIB3-induced Akt/mTORC1 signaling and autophagy-induced apoptosis. Briefly, THC administration induces melanoma cell death by formation of sphingolipid ceramide, which increases the stress on endoplasmic reticulum (ER), and contributes to apoptosis. Additionally, via activation of TRIB3, THC inhibits Akt/mTORC1 signaling pathway (involved in inhibition of apoptosis of cells). During this stress response, TRIB3 switches from cell survival mode to apoptosis. Administration of THC induces TRIB3 to mediate cell apoptosis and ER stress-induced autophagy in melanoma cells. Collectively, by increasing the stress response and preventing the cell survival pathway, THC promotes rapid death of melanoma cells, in a dose-dependent manner. However, the normal cells remain untouched, which is noteworthy.

THC-induced autophagy of melanoma is also independent of Ambra1 and Beclin-1 interacting proteins, which are also involved in the complex regulation of autophagy. THC promotes autophagy and apoptosis in both BRAF-mutated and BRAF wild type in melanoma cells, despite the melanoma cells elicit treatment-resistance measures such as autophagy deregulation. Considering this evidence, we can begin to understand that THC might be really effective against melanoma, regardless of BRAF mutational status.

According to a recent study, both THC and CBD were found to decrease the viability of melanoma cells. Combined administration of low dose THC with CBD resulted in significant anti-tumor effects, which was found to be equally effective to that of higher dose THC-alone treatment. In melanoma patients, a higher dose of THC monotherapy may cause undesirable side effects, which can be fended-off by considering low dose THC plus CBD, which is equally effective. CBD promotes cell apoptosis via caspase activation and generation of free radicals (oxidative stress) in the malignant cells. These findings suggest that CBD and THC act in different molecular pathways to synergistically promote tumor cell death.

Similar results were also observed by other independent studies. According to these studies, plant-derived THC inhibited melanoma cells and treated skin tumors; however, these benefits were observed only in exogenous cannabinoids but not with endogenous cannabinoids. THC-induced anti-cancer benefits were also observed in non-melanoma skin tumors; however in such cases, the therapeutic potential was found to be due to abrogation of EGF-receptor functions and pro-angiogenic factors. So, medical marijuana might be useful to treat most of types of skin cancer, including melanoma and non-melanoma skin tumors.

Based on the available scientific evidence, cancer has been included as a qualifying medical condition for medical marijuana programs across several states in the United States. Despite the availability of experimental research evidence, no standardized clinical trials have been conducted for the treatment of melanoma and other dreadful diseases. Amending legislation and changing the social stigma towards medical cannabis might change the situation, and hopefully more controlled clinical trials will be conducted in the future. These steps might be helpful for clinicians and patients to understand the medicinal benefits of cannabis, and to make an informed decision to treat skin cancers – including melanoma.

This one is personal to me. My mother died from cancer of her pancreas, liver and spleen.

Cannabis Conquers Fourth Deadliest Cancer

shutterstock_588997805-870x640.jpg

Cannabinoids are effective in killing pancreatic cancer cells.
The anti-tumor effects of cannabis in the treatment of cancer are being studied the world over. At this point, it’s pretty much indisputable that cannabis encourages apoptosis – the ‘self destruct’ button – in cancer cells and therefore prevents the disease from progressing, and may even put it into remission.

shutterstock_532191757-675x675.jpg

Image Credit: Lightspringz

A study published in 2006 (Spain) shows that cannabis induces apoptosis in pancreatic cancer cells. These results have been backed up by continual research in the field that proves again and again the benefits of cannabis in treating cancer. We know that it can help with the side effects of mainstream medical treatments, particularly the pain and nausea of chemotherapy. Using cannabis while treating for cancer, then, really doesn’t have any downfalls. And now there’s proof that it may help save your life.

shutterstock_486989809-675x450.jpg

Image Credit: David Litman

Pancreatic Cancer
The fourth deadliest cancer diagnosis – those are words you never want to here in reference to your own health. It strikes fear and loss in the hearts of even the strongest, and confronting treatments like chemo and radiation can be discouraging. The dangerous part of pancreatic cancer is that there are few symptoms in the early, most treatable, stages.

Pancreatic cancer kills roughly 37,000 Americans each year. Meanwhile in Canada, 1 in 74 men and 1 in 72 women will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in their lifetime.

The pancreas is a gland that is part of the digestive and endocrine systems, responsible for manufacturing and secreting insulin for the regulation of sugar. Is also plays an important role in growth, reproduction, sleep, metabolism, and appetite.

Cancer forms when the cells of the pancreas become abnormal yet continue to grow and do so out of control. This will form a tumor that chokes out healthy, functional cells and negatively impacts the functioning of the pancreas.

shutterstock_576100471-675x450.jpg

Image Credit: Markov Sergei

What Does the Research Show?
The research shows that cannabinoids triggers the CB2 receptor in the endocannabinoid system. In doing so, they spark apoptosis, which is cell suicide. This is a good thing. Cell suicide is natural but cancer cells lack the ability to listen to the signals that are telling it to self-destruct. This means they can expand and spread. When it comes to cancer, that’s not what you want.

Cannabinoids, when they trigger the CB2 receptor, ensure that apoptosis takes place in cancer cells. This studydealt with testing the treatment of a large pancreatic tumor using THC versus a synthetic cannabinoid versus placebo. Their findings proved yet again that cannabinoids prevent the growth and spread of cancer and activate apoptosis.

shutterstock_588997805-675x497.jpg

Image Credit: Shutterstock

In particular, they found that pancreatic cancer cells have a larger number of cannabinoid receptors than may also be found in other types of cancer cells. This is good news if you’re using cannabinoids for treatment!

A pancreatic cancer diagnosis is scary, whether it’s for you or a loved one. It can be a difficult time, and one that must be treated with support. Your doctor will be able to advise you through the best options for treatment and support. However, it doesn’t hurt to ask about cannabis if they haven’t already suggested it. Whether you’re suffering from cancer and hoping to aid in treatment, or a loved one needing a bit of calm in the storm, it’s worth the conversation.

Well how bout that? A link to the National Cancer Institute's study is at the end of the article.

Cancer Institute Finally Admits Marijuana Kills Cancer

Cancer kills nearly 600,000 Americans per year. And this year alone, over 1.6 million people will be diagnosed. So much time and research has gone into the cure of cancer in the last few decades. Yet, because of the stigma associated with marijuana, this wonder plant has been largely ignored by governments and researchers as a potential cure – or a key piece to a cure at least.

The Admission
In August 2015, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) released a report on their website which stated, “Marijuana kills cancer”. Yes, you read that right – marijuana kills cancer.

We know that cannabis can be used for medicinal purposes to relieve symptoms of many chronic illnesses. In fact, marijuana has actually been used for medicinal purposes for over 3000 years.

The potential benefits of medicinal Cannabis for people living with cancer (and other chronic illness) include:

• Anti-nausea
  • Appetite stimulation
  • Pain relief
  • Improved sleep
So, how does cannabis kill cancer?
There are 21 chemical components found in marijuana called cannabinoids. These chemicals activate specific receptors found throughout the body to produce pharmacologic effects in the central nervous system and the immune system. This is the physiological and biochemical changes in the body produced by a drug in therapeutic concentration.

THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) is the primary psychoactive ingredient found in marijuana. However, there are other compounds such as cannabinol (CBN), cannabidiol (CBD), cannabichromene (CBC), cannabigerol (CBG), tetrahydrocannabivarin(THCv), and delta-8-THC that can have pharmacologic effects. For example, CBD is known to have significant analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity without the high that THC produces.

During a 2-year study, groups of mice and rats were given various doses of THC by tube feeding. Tests were also done of a variety of cancerous cells.

Here is what they found:
  • Cannabinoids may reduce tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed to grow tumors.
  • Lab tests on animals have shown that cannabinoids may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells.
  • Cannabinoids may protect against inflammation of the colon and may have potential in reducing the risk of colon cancer, and possibly in its treatment.
  • A laboratory study of THC in liver cancer cells showed it damaged or killed the cancer cells.
  • The same study of THC in models of liver cancer showed that it had anti-tumor effects.
  • CBD may make chemotherapy more effective
Source: National Cancer Institute

A Men’s Health Study proves that cannabis can potentially kill cancer: An analysis of 84,170 participants looked at the association between cannabis use and the occurrence of bladder cancer. Over 16 years, they found 89 Cannabis users developed bladder cancer compared with 190 of the men who did not report cannabis use. After dividing the study up by age, race, ethnicity, and body mass index, cannabis use was associated with a 45% reduction in bladder cancer incidence.

In conclusion, many studies have shown the potential of cannabis being able to kill cancer cells. However, little of these studies have been tested on humans. Only a handful of clinical trials have been held with humans, so it is too soon to say if the effects will work as well in humans. The good news is work is being done, and the topic is gaining interest among researchers.

Check out the full report from the NCI that explains their findings.

Scanxiety time. My checkup and scans appts. are in less than one week. This one is a bit extra-anxiety inducing due to the timing... hard to explain. I’m still at high risk for metastasis and will be for a while longer.

I tend to get anxious beforehand and then when I get the all clear I’m upset with myself for worrying about it. Hopefully that will be the case again, lol.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back