Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Recipe Cannabis Coconut Oil

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
This seems like a pretty fool proof method for making infused coconut oil on the stove.

Making Cannabis Coconut Oil

The first step in making this medicine is the process of decarboxylation—the chemistry term for heating marijuana to release its THC.

Preparing The Cannabis
Heating up your cannabis in a process called Decarboxylation actives the healing compounds in the cannabis.

You’ll Need:

• One ounce of cannabis buds
  • Parchment paper
  • A baking sheet
Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 240°F/115°C.
  2. Break up the cannabis buds into smaller pieces with your hands.
  3. Spread a single layer on a parchment-lines rimmed baking sheet. The sheet should be covered with the marijuana with no empty spaces.
  4. Bake the cannabis 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes so that it toasts evenly.
  5. When the cannabis has dried and darkened in color to a light to medium brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cannabis to cool. It should be crumbly when properly dried.
  6. In a food processor or blender, pulse the cannabis until it is coarsely ground (not a fine powder). Store it in an airtight glass container and use as needed to make your medicines.
Preparing the Oil

Ingredients:

• 1 gram decarboxylated marijuana
  • 1 ounce cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
(Amounts can be adjusted to this ratio.)

Instructions:

1. Place measured crushed marijuana in a sturdy glass jar and add coconut oil. Tightly fit the jar’s lid and place in a saucepan full of water.
  2. Slowly heat the water on low on the stovetop—keeping it below boiling—for 60 minutes. (Doing so keeps the oil from overheating.)
  3. Using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, strain solids from the oil into another sturdy glass jar. Squeeze the liquid from the cannabis into the oil.
  4. The cannabis coconut oil is now ready to be eaten or used as a topical lotion. The removed solids can be eaten as well, baked or cooked in any recipe as any other herb.
[FONT=Open Sans, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]You may cook with the oil but only at medium heat; if heated too high, the active compounds of the marijuana will cook out.
[/FONT]

Made a batch of my canna oil yesterday. I use this as a base for my pain salve. It's about 2 ounces of trim, with a little bit of fresh bud in the mix, combined with a 50/50 mix of olive oil and coconut oil.

I used my new funnel and it works really well. One thing I would do differently next time is not wait overnight to strain. The last portion of the oil to go through the filter was pretty thick this morning... the coconut oil had started to thicken and harden up. The filter bag has such fine mesh that I don't feel the need to restrain it for topicals (usually this is a step I take to avoid skin irritation). But that can also be a problem if the mix in the filter is thick. I'm thinking that the next time I may use a different filter (a mesh coffee filter) for the first run through and then put it through this fine filter for the second pass. That way the bulk of the sludge will be caught in a filter with larger holes.... and the oil will go through.

The filter.....

IMG_4876.jpg

The oil....

I ended up with close to 3 cups of oil. This should make three batches of salve. As you can see... it has already set up. I'm thinking I must have used more coconut oil than olive oil this time lol.... but all is good. I wont have to use as much bees wax this time in the salve.

IMG_4881.jpg

I posted this to another forum as well,.

I'm going to make some canna MCT oil today. I'm decarbing with the Ardent and will use the MBM.

For oil the MBM recommends 1/4 to 1/2oz of "botanicals" per cup of oil. Does this seem too low of a ratio? I'm thinking I'll need more bud in the mix and I have it. I have over 1.5oz plus a good amount of some rosin to throw in there. I don't have any trim - I need to use up these buds as a new living situation makes vapiing flower difficult. Concentrates/pens are no biggie. I'll need this indica-heavy oil for post surgical recovery. I suppose I could make alcohol tincture but I don't want to do that.

Also, the MBM recommends a 1hr cycle for oil but a 2hr cycle for butter. Should I step things up and use 2hr for the MCT oil?

For oil the MBM recommends 1/4 to 1/2oz of "botanicals" per cup of oil.
Do not use less than the 1/2 c. herb per 1 c. oil/butter. You can use a bit more but end up with a lot of oil left over in the 'sludge.' More on that later...

Adding some rosin can also boost the strength and I often do this. Just remember that the rosin, as well as the herb, need to be decarbed prior to the run.

Also, the MBM recommends a 1hr cycle for oil but a 2hr cycle for butter. Should I step things up and use 2hr for the MCT oil?
It can't hurt to run it for double the time and I often run my oil twice. In fact, there are those who do a 'low and slow' method for oil or butter where they don't decarb, but run the machine twice a day for a 3 day period. I don't particularly like this method. The only downside to the additional run time is that your sludge is going to be super fine and harder to strain out completely. This is really only an issue when using it topically.

Now the sludge... it has lots of goodies left in it. You can put it into caps to use orally. Or you can just add it as is to some to food. Or it can be used in baked goods like brownies.

I'll need this indica-heavy oil for post surgical recovery.
Best of luck with your surgery! I hope that you are able to get the relief you need from your oil.

I just made some infused coconut oil last night. It will be used for muscle soothing/relaxing Epsom bath salts. I used @momofthegoons recipe here.

https://vaporasylum.com/threads/cannabis-bath-salts-bath-bombs.588/

I'll test it out tonight, but in terms of ratios, I used about 35 grams of good bud to 2 cups of coconut oil. I wouldn't have been able to get much more bud in there. I think that you can use too little, for sure but there is a limit to the amount of dry material that can be infused into the oil.

I just made some infused coconut oil last night. It will be used for muscle soothing/relaxing Epsom bath salts. I used @momofthegoons recipe.

I'll test it out tonight
I know I told you this in pm but it bears repeating here for anyone who tries this......

BE CAREFUL GETTING OUT OF THE TUB!!!! You will be like a greased pig. And doing James Brown impressions across the floor if there's no mat. :cool:

I just made some infused coconut oil last night. It will be used for muscle soothing/relaxing Epsom bath salts. I used @momofthegoons recipe here.

https://vaporasylum.com/threads/cannabis-bath-salts-bath-bombs.588/

I'll test it out tonight, but in terms of ratios, I used about 35 grams of good bud to 2 cups of coconut oil. I wouldn't have been able to get much more bud in there. I think that you can use too little, for sure but there is a limit to the amount of dry material that can be infused into the oil.

I guess I’m now over 35 decarbed . After that, I’m decarbing another batch of older buds. They’re probably CBN heavy. At least I hope they are as I’ll use that batch for sleep. I haven’t run any of it through the MBM yet. I’ll do it in two batches. I hope it will be worth it. I ran the numbers through a THC
calculator and came up with 70 or so mgs
of THC per teaspoon. However, I reduced the amount of THC by 1/3 because I assume I’ll lose some when straining.

If it’s 70 or more a teaspoon I think I’ll be in good shape.

I tend to decarb in a sealed mason jar to contain smell. Not opening until it's cool will keep volatile terpenes inside the jar.

So I'm finished decarbing and waiting for the mason jar to cool down. It cools quickly, so jar gets opened and 500 ML of MCT oil goes in, and back on to simmer for a bit. Some time passes and jar is removed from water bath. Maybe letting water run over the side of the jar will help it cool quicker.
*POP*
Umm, nope. The lesson learned was let it cool naturally, then decant.

So,I have just about 14oz or so of potent MCT oil. I tried 1/2tap. last night and wow is it strong. The devices aren’t necessary but they make a simple process even easier and with less odor - especially the decarbing. I’m not sold on the advantage of these products over the SV method but given how strong this oil is, I’ll take it.

I made a batch of coconut canna oil and used some in @momofthegoons Bath Salt recipe and the rest is in the freezer. The bath salts are wonderful, albeit slippery. After a hard days work there is nothing like sinking into a hot tub scented with healing essential oils and cannabis infused coconut oil. Within minutes muscules relax and pain melts away. I highly recommend it.

I've been rubbing plain canna oil into my feet to help ease neuropathy pains and I must say that I'm very impressed. I massage the oil into my feet then put on a light pair of socks. This gives me significant relief. Again highly recommended.

Whether you ingest it or absorb it topically, canna oil can soothe what ails you.

Last edited:
Have you tried wrapping the affected area in Saran Wrap after applying the canna oil? Several years ago a dermatologist asked me to wrap my leg in Saran warp after applying a lotion. He said it would help and it did. I guess more medication got into my skin or at least was tightly pressed up against it. I wonder if it would work with topical thc potions as well.

Best of luck with your surgery! I hope that you are able to get the relief you need from your oil.

Thank you! The oil turned out quite well. I’ll try 1/4 teaspoon and see how it works out as 1/2 was too strong.

I took the leftover sludge and put it in a mason jar along with some regular coconut oil and lecithin. It will be interesting to see how much of the good stuff remained. I’ll use this batch to make cookies.

So, I still have a bottle and a half of MCT oil. It hasn't turned rancid yet and from what I understand coconut oil and MCT oil have a long shelf life. Mine is now about 15 months. I guess it will be good for another 5 months. Anyway, I plan to order capsules just to make it easier to consume. Are there recommend capsules for this type of oil? I figured I'd just order gelatin or vegan capsules from a well known capsule site.

Are there recommend capsules for this type of oil? I figured I'd just order gelatin or vegan capsules from a well known capsule site.
Something along the line of these would work well. You will need a pipette to fill them. And it's often recommended that you store caps in the freezer after filling.

I have neuropathy, and I do the same thing. I have also developed corns on the bottom of my feet, which I pumice and add oil to make the skin softer. I figure the corns are from walking differently due to the walker. But, I also use it daily for pain, taken orally. I confess, I am a true wake and bake child. Hey. it works, what can I say?:newspaper:

I have neuropathy, and I do the same thing. I have also developed corns on the bottom of my feet, which I pumice and add oil to make the skin softer. I figure the corns are from walking differently due to the walker. But, I also use it daily for pain, taken orally. I confess, I am a true wake and bake child. Hey. it works, what can I say?:newspaper:
I use to have a cookie or two in the morning everyday. But lately I have been using my oil in my tea. Pretty yummy stuff and waay lower in sugar. I still like cookies. :nod:

I have *special* zucchini bread in my freezer. I was tempted to replace the oil in my cornbread last night, with something a little more relaxing but, if I share it with neighbors it would have to come with a warning.:ko:

I have *special* zucchini bread in my freezer. I was tempted to replace the oil in my cornbread last night, with something a little more relaxing but, if I share it with neighbors it would have to come with a warning.:ko:
I met a neighbor on one of our walks who just had a hip replacement. She was having a hard time on her walks. She told me she was having problems with her meds. Well I just happened to have made a batch of medicated cookies and turned her on. I now make cookies for her twice a month :lmao: . You just never know the nice people you meet through weed.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back