Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips Cannabis simple syrup

Waiting on Sam for the ok on posting his video
He edits a lot so he may have a new version

Had an exchange with another member on GC about scones and out of this came cannabis infused hand sanitizer
Hope someone has done this already
Most transdermal application seemed to be focused on a patch but this seems like a very easy alternative

There is something in the ABV its just a matter of extracting what's in there in an efficient manner

Last edited:
Sorry the above post is a bit disjointed
During the stoner conversation the subject of hand sanitizer came up
The ability to get high through skin absorption in a controlled manner is sketchy at best without a transdermal patch
But what about cbd that only needs to reach the joints and surrounding tissue
Would a hand sanitizer with cbd be able to deliver the compounds in a fast evaporating medium?
My concern is the tacky result you get from the reduction and whether this can be absorbed or simply end up as a residue on the skin that rolls up like residual glue from a bandage or tape

Was going to reduce a tincture down to under 10ml and give a run in the convection oven to see what happens
My filtering process will actually allow a product that may be ok for vaping
Kicking myself in the ass for not buying a source turbo with all the tools for making things like badder
Secondary market used at high prices
Hate second guesses

IMG_20210823_113553.jpgIMG_20210823_121103.jpgIMG_20210823_121605.jpg

Tincture reduction about to go into the oven

https://www.cannaconnection.com/blo...-take-to-absorb-cbd-and-how-long-does-it-last

I've had some experience with transdermal patches ( 14 years ). If your looking for immediate relief your better off inhaling , as far as bioavailability goes. If your looking for a long timed, steady delivery then transdermal by far my preferred method . But patches are $$ where I'm from so I ingest oils or cookies :thumbsup:

TOPICAL APPLICATION: APPLYING CBD TO THE SKIN​

Topical CBD refers to applying CBD creams, lotions, and salves directly to the skin. When applied topically, CBD rarely penetrates the skin. Due to the protective function of the skin against external influences, CBD has to pass through seven cell layers of the epidermis before it can enter the bloodstream, allowing only a topical absorption of the compound.

This form of absorption is quite slow. It can take anywhere between 25 and 45 minutes before effects take place. Topical application is the pathway of choice for skin conditions and athletic recovery. CBD may ease the symptoms of skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne. The cannabinoid might help to decrease inflammation, possibly helping athletes and active individuals recover from tough workouts.

1629736314804.png

IMG_20210823_121103.jpgIMG_20210823_121605.jpgIMG_20210823_123232.jpgIMG_20210823_123734.jpgIMG_20210823_123751.jpgIMG_20210823_123935.jpgIMG_20210823_124108.jpgIMG_20210823_125517.jpgIMG_20210823_125552.jpgIMG_20210823_130231.jpgIMG_20210823_130303.jpgIMG_20210823_130552.jpg

I think a $300 convection oven can make great fries and concentrate
Beats $1500-$2500

It looks bit dark and some of the concentrates on line are a golden color but I think they were stretched out
Did 200f (93c) for roughly 14 minutes

IMG_20210824_140434.jpgIMG_20210824_140440.jpg

This is the commercial syrup from the festival
Pretty much what I was making a year ago
A concentrate was used as well as gums to bind it
It was flavored by LorAnn oil or something similar

It is worth straining and concentrating your own fruit flavors
In the off seasons frozen berries work just as well if not better

I may use my convection oven to purge my concentrate after being reduced to 10ml or less and then add to the syrup

Vaped a little concentrate and it hit me hard
Thought since it was already decarbed that it would not be as potent
Wrong
Don't know why I thought that

IMG_20210823_121103.jpgIMG_20210823_121605.jpgIMG_20210823_123232.jpgIMG_20210823_123734.jpgIMG_20210823_123751.jpgIMG_20210823_123935.jpgIMG_20210823_124108.jpgIMG_20210823_125517.jpgIMG_20210823_125552.jpgIMG_20210823_130231.jpgIMG_20210823_130303.jpgIMG_20210823_130552.jpgIMG_20210823_185716.jpgIMG_20210823_185727.jpg

Here is the reduced tincture in a convection oven on air fry at 200f(93c)

It worked well and did a good job at purging the rest of the alcohol from the tincture leaving a nice smooth decarbed concentrate
Sorry for the repeat
Only needed the last two pics

IMG_20210830_095205.jpg

Settled on these phyllo baskets to put the compote into for a neat delivery
Have a hand pie dough recipe but feedback was more positive with pre made vessels

Saw a new emulsifier mentioned on 4200
Referred to it as goo
Seems it works well with nano emulsion

Homogenizer is going in the cart

You can pretty much infuse anything if you watch your temps
Dosing is the biggest hurdle I see for home cooks
Impossible to test every edible you make

Infused Apple Compote

Tools

• Knife
  • Vegetable peeler/zester
  • 2 vessels (beakers or mason jars work well)
  • Small pan with a trivet
  • Small fan
  • Silicone spatula
  • Small metal scientific spoon/spatula
  • Measuring spoons/ up
  • Immersion blender
  • Gram scale (optional)
Ingredients

Apples:

• 4 apples 2 Granny Smith 2 Fuji or Honeycrisp
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 TABLEspoon sugar
  • ½ lemon juice and zest
  • 1 TEAspoon Penzey’s Pie spice (aprox) or mix of cinnamon/powdered ginger/allspice/nutmeg- any warm spices you have.

Mod note: Edited to remove links to videos that were made private

Infused Syrup

• Water
  • 1 Cup rich syrup (1 cup water 2 cups sugar) Cook’s illustrated method (divided ½ cup in each vessel)
  • Tincture made with 6 to 7 Grams flower, reduced to under 10ml
  • A few drops of Everclear
  • 1-1/2 to 2 TEAspoons 210S from Modernist Pantry
  • 1 TEAspoon pie spice or more to taste
Instructions

Apples:

• Peel and slice apples and dice into medium even sized pieces. It is important for dosing to get the apple chunks into an even dice.
  • Bring ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon of sugar to a low boil in a medium size pot. Simmer for about 5 mins to dissolve sugar.
  • Add apples and cook for about 5 minutes, until the Granny Smith pieces begin to soften. By that time, the other apples will be softer, giving a better mix of textures.
  • Take off the heat, and stir in lemon juice, zest and spices.
  • Use immediately or pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate. Use within 24 hours.
Infused syrup

• Fill pan ½ full of water.
  • Place vessel with ½ cup syrup on trivet. Bring water to a boil.
  • Pour the concentrated tincture into the syrup in the vessel. Use several drops of Everclear to get as much tincture as possible. Use a fan to disperse fumes and allow the alcohol to evaporate from the tincture (aprox 15 minutes).
  • In the 2nd vessel combine ½ cup of syrup with 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons 210S Sprinkle the 210S over the syrup and blend with immersion blender, scraping blender at least once with silicone spatula.
  • When thoroughly blended, pour the syrup with the 210S into the vessel with the evaporated tincture using the silicone spatula to scrape out as much as possible. Combine with the immersion blender. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the vessel with the immersion blender to insure complete incorporation. Add 1 TEAspoon (or more) of the pie spice to the mix, and blend well.
Combine

• Pour over apple mixture and mix well.
  • Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Use in recipes. You can spoon over ice cream, spoon into phyllo dough cups, or mix into yogurt, for example. You can freeze portions in an ice cube tray and use about 1 TABLEspoon per dose (aprox 20 to 50mg per TABLEspoon, depending on how strong the tincture was)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20210831_163653.jpg

Next up is peaches

I will split the syrup from the bottle
Use half for sorbet and half for peach syrup
No fake oils or flavorings

I will simmer the syrup in the jar for 5-10 minutes
This seems to help with the infusion process

Next to the jar is the tincture reduction finished in a kitchen convection oven
This will be my go to method for finishing tincture reduction
I think you could call it a purge
Reduce in a double boiler to 10ml then into the oven at 200f (93c) on airfry
There is minimal alcohol so the risk is low
Either use a still or double boiler for most of the reduction then finish in the oven

IMG_20210823_185727.jpg

For reference I will refer to the above as reduction tar
Could get away with RSO tar but I'm tired of the assholes

The convection oven reduction is not a purge but somewhere between a vacuum oven and a double boiler + fan method
True purge is in a vacuum oven
Cannot be replicated in the kitchen but not necessary for this product
This is why I split the syrup and treat half with the gums first
To avoid any clumping on the surface when you add the gums to combine the cannabis oil and syrup

Any opinion on what is a general measurement for a serving of peach syrup in a cup of tea

A teaspoon or tablespoon

Any opinion on what is a general measurement for a serving of peach syrup in a cup of tea

A teaspoon or tablespoon
Is it as sweet as sugar? It would depend on how sweet you like your tea. But if it's infused and for effects.... I'd say a tablespoon.

Is it as sweet as sugar? It would depend on how sweet you like your tea. But if it's infused and for effects.... I'd say a tablespoon.

Always a conundrum
My regular recipe would be 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water to make the rich syrup (good shelf life)
This instance it is light syrup from the bottled peaches that I'm trying to infuse
It is pretty sweet and the peach puree should add more sweetness

I was thinking a tablespoon too
25-50mg maybe

IMG_20210911_141526.jpg

Ok, the light syrup was a disaster
Could be a number of things
I used a tincture reduction tar that I warmed up to test the infusion
Then there is the commercial light syrup
Citric acid is used as an acidulant in these products to stabilize them and it messes with the infusion process
Somehow inhibits the dispersal of the oil so the binders hold the oil in much larger droplets
Is the acid changing the polarity and inhibiting the gums from binding
Once you do the infusion you can add acids

I'm trying to impress upon people the need to make the rich syrup 2:1 ratio sugar/water. 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water
Then heat it on the stove to boil and reduce to so low simmer for 10 minutes
Out of all the simple syrup recipes I tried, this one held up the best by far
The infusion has 4 ingredients
Water
Sugar
Tincture reduction/cannabis oil
Binders 210S, xanthan etc.
Nothings else except an immersion blender should go in the vessel

The above pictured syrup will go off pretty quick
Wait till you see my original method and the difference

finished the practice video for the sorbet
So
The peach puree HAD to be used because we were getting into questionable time in the fridge
Took a small hit to quiet the pain in my back and proceeded on to the infusion process
First time ever using a concentrate and making infused syrup
It did not go well
syrup got infused just fine, process is easy
however I dosed heavily licking spoons etc. and was out of it quickly
the video should be 15 minutes top
it went 48 and change
did mange to get my face into the video from the tablet that reflected my image for the camera to pick up
note to people recording themselves doing this stuff, always watch the entire video after you record
almost posted the sorbet video for laughs but........
easily the worst of the videos i have ever made, including the infamous first video everyone does (you know you froze that first 5 seconds)
I use these to plot out my next attempt
IMG_20210916_150207.jpg

The finished sorbet
Need to scrub the tincture more, a little bit of cannabis taste

When I get my homogenizer this is one of the first things I want to try
Look at the ingredients
I was worried about the gums I was using, this is all preservatives
I think I can reproduce this with the homogenizer with sonication, the gums and some homemade natural flavor concentrate
This is a store about 5 minutes from me
$50 for an eighth
WTF!!!!!
A bit disappointed in the edibles
No imagination and despite using concentrates they taste like crap
The candy drops and the rest are easy to make for these folks and their pro facilities
But some effort into the taste

My peach sorbet that I made high as a kite is better than any edible here

So I posted the video on I heartGM (I love growing marijuana)
Requested any feedback or thoughts
My one response
I did not watch the video
If you mix the cannabis with the oil you should get even dispersion
This person commented on the video without watching it, thought I was making infused oil is my best guess
The views jumped from 416 when I posted the video to over 470
Any click on the thread counts so it is probably 2 of us racking up views checking the thread
SMN!!!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back