Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips Cannabis simple syrup

IMG_20211006_202744.jpgIMG_20211006_202639.jpg

The flower bottleneck starts getting cleared
Some ground flower about to be extracted and some decarbed buds ready to be ground

Pumpkin spice simple syrup
I was going to be snarky about the pumpkin spice but it would be a good selling point or get me shot
Could go either way
Once fall clean up is finished (except the leaves) I'll be cranking out tincture and making products
After this glut of flower I'm going to focus on the more medicinal strains and some concentrates with high cbd content

Anyone use these?
Are they worth it?
Yes, I use them in mason jars with an oxygen pack to store herb and hash. The jars are vacuum sealed. I remove enough for a week or two and reseal the jars. The Bodeva packs keep the herb and hash at a perfect RH. I only add them to the jars after the bud is completely cured. Some people use them during the cure process but I don't. Once my bud is dried and cured to a steady RH, I seal it up with a Bodeva and an oxygen pack. The jarred herb can last years vacuum packed this way and stored in a cool dark place without too much degradation.

I also reuse my Bodeva packs. After awhile they'll get stiff and dry. They can be successfully reconstituted by placing them in a container that sits inside a closed container with a bit of water it in.

Yes, I use them in mason jars with an oxygen pack to store herb and hash. The jars are vacuum sealed. I remove enough for a week or two and reseal the jars. The Bodeva packs keep the herb and hash at a perfect RH. I only add them to the jars after the bud is completely cured. Some people use them during the cure process but I don't. Once my bud is dried and cured to a steady RH, I seal it up with a Bodeva and an oxygen pack. The jarred herb can last years vacuum packed this way and stored in a cool dark place without too much degradation.

I also reuse my Bodeva packs. After awhile they'll get stiff and dry. They can be successfully reconstituted by placing them in a container that sits inside a closed container with a bit of water it in.

This will be good for when desirable strains pop up at the dispensary

IMG_20211012_201409.jpgIMG_20211012_202800.jpgIMG_20211012_204854.jpg

Ground flower to fully filtered tincture starting in the rear on the left
For recreational use an extraction to finished recipe set of videos
Sorbet, ice cream, cake, pie,strudel, candy and a gelatin product

Liking these vape cartridges, the one at the top, anyone try stuff like this?

My medical dispensary makes hot chocolate and lemonade in powder form
They use canna-sugar I think
So it would be dried milk, canna-sugar, powdered cocoa and a host of additives you need for commercial level manufacturing
But think
My syrup has sugar, water, xanthan and acacia gums
Add cocoa powder and warm milk
I will add powdered milk to the syrup and see if I can use hot water to make a passable hot chocolate

If folks thought I may have over reacted to the syrup mishap, this is why

Smashed my knee and may have to have it drained

Liking these vape cartridges, the one at the top, anyone try stuff like this?
My caregiver has found a way to put his uncut rosin into carts. Love the convenience of them. But I haven't had the best success with carts from the dispos. They are usually cut with something to make them 'flow.'

Smashed my knee and may have to have it drained
Ooofff..... that looks painful!

My caregiver has found a way to put his uncut rosin into carts. Love the convenience of them. But I haven't had the best success with carts from the dispos. They are usually cut with something to make them 'flow.'

Ooofff..... that looks painful!

That post of mine was a bit of a ramble

Going to begin to incorporate ways to flavor the syrup and begin playing with infused powder products for drink mixes

CBD forward products have my attention now after that vape cartridge

IMG_20211013_075920.jpg

Rosin carts that are ceramic
The CBD forward cartridge was good for pain relief
Real pain relief but the additives are a concern
However well worth the risk to gain the experience
Buy the flower they use to make the cartridge oil and press it for rosin

That post of mine was a bit of a ramble

Going to begin to incorporate ways to flavor the syrup and begin playing with infused powder products for drink mixes

CBD forward products have my attention now after that vape cartridge

View attachment 30711

Rosin carts that are ceramic
The CBD forward cartridge was good for pain relief
Real pain relief but the additives are a concern
However well worth the risk to gain the experience
Buy the flower they use to make the cartridge oil and press it for rosin
I have been using Freeze dried fruit for baking and all sorts of sauces. They impart an incredible flavor and are great to work with. Whole Foods carries some good brands . Freeze dried fruit is intense, I can't tell you until you taste it. I grind mine up in a mortar and pestle and then I'll put it through a fine strainer. A MCT tincture with mango ?
IMG_8158.JPG
IMG_8159.JPG

For hot cocoa I use all the weed I've used for butter and I just throw it in some whole milk, add your cocoa, sugar, and vanilla. Simmer for 5 minutes and strain. It's sure to trip your trigger :biggrin: .

I have been using Freeze dried fruit for baking and all sorts of sauces. They impart an incredible flavor and are great to work with. Whole Foods carries some good brands . Freeze dried fruit is intense, I can't tell you until you taste it. I grind mine up in a mortar and pestle and then I'll put it through a fine strainer. A MCT tincture with mango ?
View attachment 30715View attachment 30716

For hot cocoa I use all the weed I've used for butter and I just throw it in some whole milk, add your cocoa, sugar, and vanilla. Simmer for 5 minutes and strain. It's sure to trip your trigger :biggrin: .

For me its about eliminating the cannabis taste
Right now it is muted in the background but soon I will eliminate it all together
It is just a matter of adding activated charcoal in measured amounts to minimize cannabinoid loss while passing it through celite
As with all things some find cannabis taste appealing and floral, others not so much

The powdered products will be good for transport

IMG_20211015_152439.jpg

We are going to begin to move into a more YouTube friendly environment using more ingredients
Looked at this a while ago but it did not fit the "ingredients on hand" method we were working on for the syrup

These are just easier to use and if the results are what I anticipate then my dream of things like infused jelly donuts and other treats that require a punch of flavor to put them over the top

Also, emphasis on filtration
Terpenes retention and chlorophyll remediation

I am well aware of the circular hell infused donuts would create
Donut holes with infused raspberry mango jam
What a way to green out

Ok
To sell this you need a gimmick
Alongside practical recipes I will post some of these recipes pending results
I think the infused pearls/caviar will get people to notice
They need to be used fast or they will solidify into some sort of gummy
IMG_20211017_214844.jpgIMG_20211017_214901.jpgIMG_20211017_214907.jpgIMG_20211017_214917.jpg
The papaya gel caviar recipe is the one I used before
Now to see if they hold up with the powdered flavoring as opposed to the juice reduction
Nothing is easy in chemistry and the powdered fruit concentrate may have something that inhibits the gelling process

Unexpected rain pushed my exterior projects to tomorrow
Everything is soaked
So, experiment day
IMG_20211018_122129.jpgIMG_20211018_123944.jpgIMG_20211018_124232.jpgIMG_20211018_124558.jpgIMG_20211018_130740.jpgIMG_20211018_130753.jpgIMG_20211018_142403.jpgIMG_20211018_143029.jpg

Made some syrup and flavored it with the fruit powders
Taste good
Need a few adjustments with the gums to accommodate the powdered fruit
The powdered fruit needs to be made into a slurry before being added to the syrups
The gums grab a hold and need additional time with the immersion blender to work it out
These are gooooooood!

Cajun pork chops in the cast iron pan
Making meatballs later

A little context to the above
The first pick is two tinctures
Top is stainless/paper filtered
Bottom has the carbon added then filtered through the celite in a Buchner

Anybody want to weigh in on terpenes?
I cannot retain them through my process but they can be bought and introduced
Not sure if it is worth it since they can alter flavor profiles significantly
This batch of flavored syrups may not be best for the gelatin caviar/pearls
Pretty sure I need to pull the gums back a little
May just add gelatin and see if they make gummies
Time to order squirt bottles

IMG_20211019_171031.jpgIMG_20211019_171043.jpg

Ok
Here is the mango syrup being thinned out
25mg guesstimate in the small bowl
The mix went well
Even dispersion with a little coagulation but I was using a round stirring stick
Short video coming
Now we begin to accelerate
Simple display of adding a fruit puree to half the mango syrup and making sorbet
Then adding gelatin to the other half of the syrup to make gummies
As thc percentages become more commonly known we can dial in dosages

IMG_20211021_084622.jpgIMG_20211021_084628.jpg
IMG_20211021_085043.jpgIMG_20211021_085047.jpg

So the top pictures are the mango syrup in seltzer that turned out to be almost flat
This was an opportunity to put the mixture into the fridge for an overnight separation test
This is how it looked in the morning
Below it is an example of separation from a failed infusion of a syrup from some jarred peaches
I will try to rescue this mess by using it in a sorbet mix with cellulose gum
The constant mixing from the ice cream maker may distribute the cannabis oil enough

IMG_20211025_185407.jpgIMG_20211025_185417.jpg

Here is the flavored syrup being turned into gummies
Success and failure
The failure is that the syrup and gelatin did not set completely
The success was that I only used a third of the gelatin needed to observe the interaction between the gums and gelatin
Did not want it to set like chewing gum
Later this week I will do the syrups with full measure of gelatin

IMG_20211027_204038.jpgIMG_20211027_204044.jpgIMG_20211027_204054.jpgIMG_20211027_204103.jpgIMG_20211028_134231.jpgIMG_20211028_134341.jpg

This is the syrup in tonic water
The powders flavored the infused syrup but not enough to flavor a drink in a teaspoon of product
Made a slurry with additional powder and water then added infused syrup to round out the dosage
This was added to the tonic water
The mango came out great
The blackberry was good but one thing I learned is that there are seed husks and bits of dried fruit skin in the powder
This sediment floats in carbonation and looks like separation, it is not
The mango is a good example to use as the separation would be apparent
So some of these powders made need to be hydrated then filtered to produce cleaner beverages without grit

Trying to find impregnated coral sand

@Tincandtoke I see you are adding additional flavoring with the infused syrup when making the beverage. Are you not able to get enough flavor from the syrup alone?

This is working out the amounts needed to flavor the syrup
My purpose is to produce a syrup that can be used straight from a squirt bottle
You could make a drink, or add some gelatin to make a gummy or some perfect sorbet https://modernistpantry.com/product...22.256269711.1635538469-1961969812.1627004558 to make a frozen treat
Or just use the base for pie filling
Giving folks an idea of what it takes to introduce an ingredient and incorporate it into recipes
Its not just dumping the powder in and mixing
When working with molecular gastronomy you have to be thorough and you cannot cover up mistakes
It either works or does not
At the very least you will be making adjustments
I've put the syrup through all its paces and have a good idea of what to expect but there are always surprises
In this case the seed husks and fruit skin were unexpected since I have never worked with the powders before but had read about them

Last edited:
Quick update
Sorry for the multi posting, it will get worse as we are close to the finish line
IMG_20211030_100008.jpgIMG_20211030_100021.jpgIMG_20211030_100057.jpgIMG_20211030_100127.jpgIMG_20211030_100228.jpgIMG_20211030_100241.jpgIMG_20211030_100254.jpg

Here is the blackberry syrup in club soda overnight in the fridge
There is a little sheen on top but I'm pretty sure that is from the fruit powder and the sediment in there
Oil from the husks and fruit skin
It is barely noticeable but if I observe it then it gets reported
The sheen from cannabis oil is more pronounced and looks a little thicker
Since going over to 210S I have never had oil separate from the syrup
Once it adheres it does not let go
A soda machine is back on the table
It might survive a pressure wave

IMG_20211030_154540.jpgIMG_20211030_154549.jpgIMG_20211030_154721.jpgIMG_20211030_154747.jpgIMG_20211030_154825.jpgIMG_20211030_155012.jpgIMG_20211030_155544.jpg

This is the raspberry syrup
You can see the seeds, little white speck in the syrup
Another example of the grit in the powder
I think I can hydrate the powder enough without muting the flavor
I mixed the syrup with Gatorade to show how well it mixes
This was cold Gatorade and cold syrup that mixed, sediment is apparent and makes mixing more difficult
Until I find a decent liquid concentrate the powders will have to do the job
The taste is outstanding
Those beignets will have the raspberry syrup for dipping, at this consistency it is perfect
Of course I will infuse a filling for the beignets but that is when I cover jelly and jam

This is the ice cream base that I settled on for the video if I shoot anymore
It uses powdered milk as an emulsifier which is something modernist pantry mentioned and something I want to try
It omits eggs and could possibly be a substitute for perfect ice cream

Getting cold
Finishing the decarb on the flower that has backed up
Two more 14g decarb
Wondering if the different strains even matter after all the processing
That filtering video from the extraction company is making me crazy
I want a clear tincture

IMG_20211103_131533.jpg

The syrups have sat for a week and show no signs of degradation
They will be turned into gummies or a failed experiment
I think the super clean tincture reduction and the filtered powder slurry will make a more manageable gummy if these do not set
Tinctures on the left, full filter tincture in the middle and decarbed flower waiting for extraction on the right

Probably a lot of frozen treats
Mini ice cream sandwiches etc. for storage purposes

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back