Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds CBD

10 Unexpected Observations From Taking CBD Oil Every Day For One Year

by Jack Woodhouse July 09, 2017
cbd-oil_grande.jpg

Although cannabidiol (CBD) comes from the controversial cannabis plant, it does not get you high, it is completely legal in the UK, and it offers all the remarkable health benefits associated with cannabis.

Proven to help with everything from depression to Alzheimer’s, CBD is gaining popularity as a safe and effective supplement with huge potential to help in treating a wide range of conditions. Check out this link to delve into the research on CBD.

CBD is not just for the unwell, however. There is a growing body of scientific research that shows CBD has the power to reduce levels of anxiety and stress, lower inflammation, relax the body and mind, and subtly lift the mood. Being fairly healthy myself, I decided to use CBD to see if it would help me handle everyday stress and anxiety. I used this 8% CBD oil from Love Hemp (peppermint was my favourite flavour).

After only a matter of days of taking a few drops of CBD oil every morning and evening, I began to notice that, indeed, my stress levels were reduced, my social anxiety was all but gone, and negative thought patterns were easier to stem. Thanks to my prior immersion into the research on CBD, these results were somewhat expected - although I was surprised at just how quickly and effectively CBD worked. However, there were also a number of effects from taking CBD oil daily that I had no idea would occur.

What follows are ten profound and unexpected effects I observed during one year of taking CBD oil daily.

1. I recovered much quicker after workouts

I usually work out every three days. I do fairly short, yet intense, full-body workouts in which I push heavy weights and do sprints. And the morning after a workout, I am always sore. It can even become problematic as I go about my day, as my achy muscles can make me feel lethargic and tired. After taking CBD before my workouts, I would wake up the next day and, although my muscles were still slightly stiff, they weren't sore to touch and were a lot more limber.

Upon further research into why this might be so, I discovered that CBD is a potent anti-inflammatory, even more powerful than many of the most common natural remedies used for inflammation - like curcumin, fish oil, resveratrol, and Vitamin C. I believe CBD’s relaxing qualities also helped me recover, while there is plenty of research that shows CBD reduces cortisol (the stress hormone), which may mean supplementing CBD before a workout allows your body to handle the stress better. CBD also helped me sleep better (see number 4), which could go some way to explaining my speedy recovery between workouts.

2. My focus improved dramatically

I have tried meditation, breathing techniques, drinking raw cacao, cold therapy, and more in attempts to tame my wandering attention and to increase my focus - all with varying degrees of success, from none at all to a slight improvement. Then, when I started taking CBD daily to reduce anxiety, I found that I could concentrate for long periods with minimal effort. I wouldn’t even notice the time pass by as I sat working, reading, or even meditating. In fact, after sitting down to meditate, I found it far easier to get focused and stay in the ‘zone’ - a benefit of CBD I certainly never predicted.

Although there is not much research on CBD’s effect on concentration and focus, there is quite a lot on its uses in treating ADD/ADHD. However, I did find various corroborating opinions on Reddit, with a number of people also noticing an increased attention span and improved concentration.

3. My digestion vastly improved

To be perfectly honest with you, I had never really considered what my bowel movements said about my overall health. I also never realised how ‘irregular’ I was, and how rarely I passed solid, healthy stool. Don’t worry, I won’t go into detail. It is only now, that, after taking CBD every day for one year, that I know how dysfunctional my bathroom habits were. I can now set my watch by my calls to nature. And it’s nearly always an enjoyable experience. No more straining, no more assaults on the toilet bowl, just smooth, solid, and satisfying excretions. And I think we’ll leave it there.

4. I slept easier, deeper, and longer

As I mentioned earlier, my sleep improved drastically during my one year of taking CBD daily. I nodded off quicker (usually within minutes), slept deeper, and stayed asleep longer. There was no more waking up at 3am, 5am, and 7am. However, there was one issue - getting out of bed. When I did wake up (more often than not after a good 8.5 hours), it could be a struggle to get out of bed. Once I was out, I felt fine and ready to start the day, but while still in bed, I just had the urge to stay there forever. Perhaps my sleep was so good I didn’t want to leave it? I did manage to find some reports that showed higher doses of CBD can lead to tiredness, although lower doses were found to induce wakefulness - so maybe I was just taking too much before bedtime.

5. My confidence increased

I guess this comes hand-in-hand with a reduction in stress and anxiety, but it was still a surprise just how much of an effect CBD oil had on my confidence. I have always been quite introverted and I was generally pretty quiet around new people. However, after only a few days of supplementing with CBD oil, I found myself confidently interacting with strangers and being a lot more open and sure of myself around new acquaintances. My experiences are backed up by this study that shows CBD can reduce anxiety associated with public speaking.

6. My motivation increased

This is one effect that I really did not see coming. Although getting out of bed could be a chore during the start of my year of taking CBD oil, I soon found myself highly motivated to get up and going and to start my day. As a freelance writer, my mornings would usually often consist of a fair amount of faffing around (wasting time on Facebook and SkySports News), but that was changing. After the first few weeks of my CBD experiment, I noticed that I had an urge to get out of bed as soon as I woke, to get breakfast eaten as soon as possible, and to sit at my desk and start to work. What’s more, I was actually enjoying my work. Writing an article that would once seem laborious and unappealing became manageable and often enjoyable. During this last year, I have set myself goals, and I have worked toward these goals and accomplished some of them. This is unheard of for me.

While smoking cannabis has in the past dampened my motivation, this cannabis derivative seemingly was having the opposite effect. Although research on CBD and motivation is non-existent, the endocannabinoid system (ECS) - which is the bodily system that CBD and other cannabinoids interact with - has been shown to play a role in regulating our motivation, among many other things, such as hormone levels, mood, appetite, pain sensation, and more.

7. Cravings were reduced

For years I have tried to stick to a healthy diet, with varying degrees of success, as I’m sure you can relate. However, since supplementing daily with CBD oil, I found it much easier to resist that sugary treat, to buy a bottle of water over a bottle of wine, and even to stop smoking cigarettes.

Although I have tried to live a healthy life for a while now, I used to smoke cigarettes. Not loads. Some days I would only have one or two, while on other days, especially when I was drinking, I would go through a 20 deck with ease. I tried to quit many times, with little success, until I discovered CBD.

I wasn’t just relying on the oil to help me cease smoking tobacco, however. I started to smoke CBD-rich hemp. You can read more about that here.

8. Smoking weed was a lot more enjoyable

I’ve smoke weed for the best part of a decade, and it’s been pretty enjoyable on the whole. While in my younger days I would waste away many a day smoking the devil’s lettuce, it was only in the last few years that I became more picky about when I smoked. This was due to the fact that when I was high I was pretty stupid. I would be a bit more awkward than usual, not a quick as I was usually, and certainly a lot more lazy than I liked. I still liked getting stoned, but I had to choose my timing well - when I had done everything I had to do and when I was not going to be meeting new people.

While doing some research on CBD, I stumbled across some interesting research that showed CBD countered some of the negative effects of THC (the cannabinoid that gets you ‘high’). I discovered that CBD has been found to enhance THC's painkilling properties while diminishing the paranoia it can cause. This piqued my interest, to say the least, so I began to take some CBD oil before smoking weed and I also started rolling my joints with CBD-rich hemp. The effects were remarkable. It’s a nice, ‘clean’ high, without the anxiety and paranoia that high-THC weed can sometimes induce. It was a game-changer for me, and ever since my relationship with weed has been a lot more healthy and enjoyable. I highly recommend it!

9. I got a lot more done

Along with an increase in motivation was an increase in productivity. I’ve always been a procrastinator. It takes me a long time to get round to doing what I should and then I usually only apply myself enough to just get the thing done. That’s why after a week or so of working hard and diligently (on personal projects as well as professional projects), I was pretty dumbfounded. Never before have I been so focused and stuck to a task with such ease. As a result, this past year has been the most fruitful year (again, personally and professionally) of my adult life. I have been published in a number reputable publications, started my own business, and enjoyed deeper and more meaningful relations with loved ones, old and new.

10. I got happier, smiling became easier, and life got more enjoyable

To summarise my experiences of the last year, in which I consumed CBD oil every single day, morning and night, I would have to say that life just got more enjoyable. It wasn’t that life got better, it feels more like I got better. My mind and my consciousness was upgraded and gave a whole new light to my everyday experiences. I often caught myself smiling at common occurrences or my random musings. I became more fun to be around. There was no longer this underlying sense of worry or fear that I feel plagues the vast majority of people.

In essence, CBD oil helped me get healthier and feel better, this, in turn, gave me a healthier perspective of the world. Life just wasn’t as bad as it used to be.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and this article makes no attempt to diagnose or treat any health condition. This article is in no way intended to offer medical advice. It is merely a report of my own experiences with CBD and hemp and of the available research. CBD is not a magic cure, it is a very complex chemical derived from an infinitely more complex plant, that we - mankind - know relatively little about. Please employ your own investigative skills and explore the subject yourself.

How Much CBD Oil Should You Take For An Effective Dose?

How_Much_CBD_hero.jpg

As CBD, or cannabidiol, continues to sweep through the cannabis community, and studies continue to show the amazing benefits of regular CBD oil use, you’re probably thinking about trying it. While CBD continues to grow in popularity, the guidelines concerning its uses, benefits, and most importantly dosage, continue to remain critical questions in the realm of CBD use. So, it’s you want to start using CBD oil, and enjoying all of the amazing benefits, how much CBD oil should you take for an effective dose?

The endocannabinoid system
How_Much_CBD_1.jpg

Every person has an endocannabinoid system. CB1 and CB2 receptors, located in the brain and throughout the nervous system, interact with CBD as well as the dozens of other known cannabinoids.

Most importantly, it is essential to understand that each person’s endocannabinoid system interacts with each person’s body uniquely. Just as no two people have the same brain chemistry, no two endocannabinoid systems behave the same.

When determining the most effective dosage for CBD oil, this must be taken into consideration.

Choosing a CBD oil
How_Much_CBD_2.jpg

There are numerous reputable organizations producing and selling CBD oil. When choosing a CBD oil, there are a number of factors to consider. Very select CBD oil companies sell full-spectrum CBD oil. Having the full spectrum of cannabinoids is essential, due to the entourage effect.

A number of organizations only selling CBD isolates, which are still beneficial, but not as effective. Additionally, be sure that the hemp, which produces CBD oil, is grown using sustainable and natural growing methods and is from reliable sources.

Lastly, find a reputable organization that sells it in a form you like, whether it’s oil, in a capsule, or edibles.

Finding an effective dosage
How_Much_CBD_3.jpg

Like THC, CBD is unregulated by the Food & Drug Administration. That being said, there are no true “dosing guidelines” for CBD. In that way, CBD is treated more like a supplement.

When first beginning your journey with CBD oil, less is more. Start with a few drops daily, or a smaller milligram capsule. Wait for a week, and see how you feel. In the CBD community, there is agreement that too much, or “over-doing it” can result in no changes at all.

Dosing CBD is all about hitting the sweet spot for your endocannabinoid system. What works for your friend may not work for you. Finding the right dosage is incredibly rewarding, so be patient!

Finding the effective dosage for CBD oil takes time, effort, and the understanding that this is no “one-size-fits-all” ordeal. Knowing the numerous benefits that CBD oil can have on the body should be a motivating factor in your journey to finding a dosage that helps you to get the results you’re looking for.

csrKs7B.jpg

YOU’RE INVITED TO GREEN FLOWER’S ONLINE CBD SUMMIT… FREE!

The CBD Summit is a 3-hour global live-stream event featuring the world’s top cannabis experts you can watch LIVE right from your home to learn everything about CBD -- the game-changing natural compound in cannabis & hemp that has an abundance of health and wellness benefits most people know very little about.

Our world-renowned experts will cover:

• What CBD is, where it comes from, and how it interacts in your body.
  • How CBD can help with pain, anxiety, sleep, inflammation, mood, and many more health conditions.
  • Who can benefit from CBD including seniors, kids, athletes, and even pets.
  • Which products are high quality and effective, and which ones are a waste of your money.
  • Real-life stories from patients and doctors that showcase the power of this natural cannabinoid.
  • What the future of CBD looks like and how you can get involved.
  • Much more!
IN ORDER TO REACH AND IMPACT AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE, WE’RE LIVE-STREAMING THIS EVENT GLOBALLY 100% FREE WHEN YOU REGISTER NOW.
If you’re at all curious about how CBD can work for you, this CBD Summit will bring you credible guidance from the world’s top experts delivered right to you. Register now and tell your friends!

Another patient testimony to the benefits of cannabis

CBD FOR FIBROMYALGIA AND OPIOID WITHDRAWAL

I wanted to relay the experience I’m having with CBD aiding opiate withdrawal. I am a 72-year-old woman. A doctor put me on fentanyl patches about 10 years ago, after trying various painkillers for my intense fibromyalgia pain. They did not notify me how difficult, if not impossible, it would be to get off of them. I use the generic Mylan brand, which can be cut down without deleterious effects. Several times over the years I have attempted to taper down, but even cutting off the tiniest sliver of the patch resulted in intense withdrawal symptoms, so I gave up.

In the last year I had started making an olive oil tincture from a couple of high-CBD/low-THCstrains I was growing for my dogs. Then I started using the tincture on myself. I have also since started juicing the leaves. A few months ago I decided to try and taper off of the patch again and, to my enormous surprise, there were NO withdrawal symptoms at all. I was able to cut out 5 mcg at a time. I’ve been cutting down more each week. When I started this process, I was taking 150 mcg. Now I’m about two weeks away from being at just 100 mcg. So far, I’ve had no increase in fibromyalgia pain, and no withdrawal symptoms.

I’ve been using about 40-50 mg a day of CBD in the form of the olive oil tincture. I grew ACDC and another a strain high in CBD and low THC. I took the flowers and decarboxylated them in olive oil for a few hours at a sufficiently low temperature. The final product comes out around 12 mg of CBD per ml. I also use a vaporizer with the AC/DC flowers that I grew. I’ve found that both vaporizing and using the tincture to be very effective for any pain. In the evening it contributes to a good night’s sleep.

In the last week or so since I have also been juicing cannabis, I’ve noticed a difference in the way I feel. I’ve had far more energy and no fibromyalgia aches in the evening. My fibromyalgia flares are much shorter. It will be interesting to see how things go in the future, as I continue to juice cannabis and use my tincture.

I estimate that I’ve been cutting off 3-5 mcg each week of the patches. I may try to cut off larger pieces now that I’m taking cannabis juice, and see what happens. After hearing that fentanyl is harder to get off of than heroin, it’s been pretty amazing.

I hope the efficacy of CBD in aiding opiate withdrawal becomes more commonly known. It’s truly incredible.

Author’s note: This testimonial was submitted to Project CBD and the patient wishes to remain anonymous.

My local Co-op sells CBD products. Some head shops also sell the Oil.

I've read that CBD might 'counteract' THC or THC may be part of the entourage effect with CBD. But then I've read that using it doesn't raise your THC so much as it 'resets' your tolerance.

My usual question is what is the best way to get it's effects? I'm already taking fish oil supplements and trying hemp fiber.

Wondering if my QWISO is high in CBD. Since CBD comes more from the mass of the plant correct? :sherlock:Curious about how it is manufactured.

@Cuckfumbustion I dunno about 'best', but CBD in any format is fine. The thing about CBD is that it's strain dependent, in that not all strains have much, if any CBD. Once you have a CBD strain you process it just like any other strain - oils, budders, tinctures, resin, whatever yer poison.

CBD in conjunction with THC is fine - you can balance the effects, and CBD in oil form (under tongue, in coffee, brownies, whatever your fancy) is my usual dose, pretty much every day. (Cat and dog get some every day, as well) But here's the fun tidbit - last year I saw a novice hit the wall at a local dab bar. We were there as special guests, and this place pulled out all the stops to entertain us; it was the closest I've ever been to experiencing the CannaRockstar lifestyle, and it was kinda fun for an evening. Anyhoo, one in the party was a total lightweight, and it showed. A nice big dab and her colour changed to a grey/green, and she started sweating and shaking. A quick walk outside didn't help at all, so someone suggested a bad of high CBD, with mixed response (are you kidding? She's already kinda fubar...) Short story is she had a big CBDab, and within seconds was back to 'normal'. Normal colour, no shakes, no sweats. Just normal.

So that was an eye-opener for me, and if someone is experiencing effects that they find too intense I suggest a bit of CBD bud, or maybe some oil, and it seems to help them.

CBD Crystals: What Are They And How Do You Use Them?

CBD_Crystals_What_hero.jpg

There’s a new trend in town: CBD isolates. CBD (cannabidiol) is a cannabis compound that does not cause a psychotropic “high.” Instead, the compound provides a calming energy, sort of like a stronger ginkgo biloba tea. Recently, the cannabinoid has been found to be successful in clinical trials of epilepsy. Now, however, consumers in canna-friendly regions have access to purified CBD crystals. But, what are they exactly and how do you use them? Here are the details.

CBD crystals: what are they?

CBD crystals are isolated and purified extractions of the cannabis compound. Normally, hemp and other cannabis-based extracts contain at least trace amounts of other plant molecules.

This includes other cannabinoids related to CBD as well as aroma molecules called terpenes. Terpenes are responsible for the distinct aromas cannabis and hemp plants provide.

As an isolate, CBD crystals are created after the cannabinoid has been separated from these other compounds. This is CBD in its purest form.

Typically, CBD crystals contain between 98 and 99 percent isolated CBD. Similar products have been created using the primary psychoactive in the cannabis plant, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

There are several benefits to using CBD crystals. Since these crystals contain only CBD and virtually nothing else, they are very easy to dose. In fact, you can dose this purified form of CBD simply by weight.

For example, using a kitchen scale, you can measure out 10 milligrams of CBD crystals. This ensures that you are getting exactly 10 milligrams of the compound with no added fillers or impurities that may change the effects of the product.

Ways to use CBD crystals
CBD_Crystals_What_1.jpg

Photo credit
Curious about CBD crystals? There are a few easy ways to use CBD isolates in the home. Five common uses of CBD crystals include:

1. Edibles
CBD_Crystals_What_2.jpg

Photo credit
One of the easiest ways to use CBD crystals is in baked goods and foods. They can be dissolved into fatty foods like butter, coconut milk, and other cooking oils. Then, these fats can be used to make your favorite dessert or dish. Using CBD crystals is much faster than trying to infuse CBD still attached to cannabis flower.

2. Dabbing
CBD_Crystals_What_3.jpg

Photo credit
Seeking a fast dose of CBD? Dab it!

CBD crystals can be dabbed using an oil rig or wax vaporizer just like any other cannabis concentrate. The major difference is that these crystals won’t cause a high. Instead, expect a fast sense of calm and possibly a slight but comfortable energetic uplift.

Dabbing is recommended only for consumers who have experience with this activity and are accept the risks of this form of smoking.

3. DIY Skincare
CBD_Crystals_What_4.jpg

Photo credit
As a potent antioxidant, CBD is thought to be great for the skin. CBD isolates can be melted into a carrier oil like coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, or another favorite skin care oil. These oils can then be applied topically as a lotion or serum.

4. Oil tincture
CBD_Crystals_What_5.jpg

Photo credit
Another way to use CBD crystals is to dissolve them into an oil for an oil tincture. MCT oil and olive oil are two top choices for oil tinctures. These tinctures can then be placed in an amber or opaque glass dropper bottle and stored in a cool dark place for regular use.

5. E-liquid
CBD_Crystals_What_6.jpg

Photo credit
CBD crystals can be used to make a DIY vapor pen. To do this, CBDOilSuk recommendsdissolving up to 200 milligrams of CBD crystals into 10 milligrams of e-liquid. To dissolve, the liquid should be heated to 60 degrees Celsius (140 Fahrenheit).

Note: The information presented in this article is intended for helpful and informative purposes and should not be used in place of medical advice or treatment. Always listen to your body and work with a healthcare professional before experimenting with new treatments.

NFL’s New Concussion Pill Could Be Filled With CBD

The NFL continues to look for options to protect their players against concussions, and the degenerative brain diseases that go along with it. It looks like cannabis could play a key role, as the NFL’s new concussion pill could be filled with CBD.

By

Tim Kohut

Published on 09/01/2017
The NFL’s ongoing battle with concussions and the mysterious CTE has proved to be a trying one, but there could be a light at the end of the tunnel. As research continues, several options have emerged for a miracle “concussion pill”, that would be used to treat degenerative brain disease that is so prevalent throughout the league. And there’s a solid chance that the NFL’s new concussion pill could be filled with CBD.

Concussion Pill Options
Although the search for a concussion pill is merely in the “mouse model” phase, significant strides have been made by researchers. Dr. William Korinek, the CEO of Astrocyte Pharmaceuticals, believes such a pill can arrive as early as 2025. Dr. Kun Ping Lu, a doctor researching a possible medication to destroy compounds that cause brain damage, has a slightly-less optimistic time frame. He believes a possible pill could arrive within the next ten years.

Korinek’s in the process of creating a medication that focuses on treating concussions within a half-hour after their concussions are sustained. This requires a sure-fire way to diagnose concussions, which is also still under review. The focus of his medication is the usage of astrocyte cells, which can act as a “caretaker cell” for damaged cells in the brain.

Dr. Lu’s research deals with proteins in the brain. He was able to uncover a toxic form of the P-tau protein in the human brain. “Think of it like the police,” Dr. Lu explained. “The toxic proteins are the bad guys. The antibody can arrest them and not allow them to do damage to the brain.”

Former NFL player and current analyst Jamie Dukes and neurologist Dr. Kevin Jackson have been developing their own treatment dubbed Pro-IV. Essentially, it is a cocktail of substances that replenish the micro nutrients that are depleted after a head injury. Pro-IV is currently available through an intravenous, but Dr. Jackson plans on hopefully introducing the medication through a patch or nasal spray.

However, the most intriguing option could be cannabis-related.

CBD Concussion Pill Miracle?
Amongst other options, the NFL’s new concussion pill could be filled with CBD. Last October, The University of Miami was given a $16 Million grant to research the combination of CBD with an anesthetic in an effort to develop a treatment for brain trauma and concussions.

The study is expected to last five years, and as of now, there haven’t been significant findings in their experiments. Although, there are certainly believers in the NFL community that cannabis will make a significant impact on players’ lives. Nate Jackson, a former NFL player for six seasons, is an advocate for cannabis in pain treatment. However, he doesn’t just merely use CBD oil, he prefers the entire plant. “When I say cannabis, I mean the whole entire plant,” Jackson said. “Cannabis, marijuana, weed: It’s all the same plant.”

CBD itself has been proven to have several neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory elements, but THC hasn’t yet proven to have such qualities. However, Jackson believes THC could have a role as a painkiller. ” We’re learning that feeling might be helping to heal your body” Jackson noted. Studies in the past have also shown THC can reverse aging in the brain.

In addition to the miracle concussion pill, Miami researchers are looking into goggles that are capable of effectively diagnosing concussions, something that has proved to be difficult thus far. Dr. Hoffer, who has been working on both the pill and the goggles, believe the two projects go hand in hand. “The pill can’t be effective for concussions if you can’t diagnose one,” Hoffer explained.

Final Hit: NFL’s New Concussion Pill Could Be Filled With CBD
nfl-concussion-pill-filled-cbd-1.jpg

Despite its traditionally taboo-status in NFL circles, cannabis is clearly proving to be a useful tool in the NFL’s concussion epidemic. While it’s current status as a Schedule-1 narcotic has somewhat hindered research, it is beginning to make headway as a prospective tool for degenerative brain disease.

Nate Jackson is just one of a laundry list of former NFL players who have advocated for cannabis in pro football. Recently, former Patriots’ offensive tackle echoed similar sentiments. He claimed weed would be a “godsend” for NFL players, current and former.

As both a painkiller and concussion treatment, Jackson himself believes it could be the NFL’s best bet. However, he stopped short of saying it was a 100% guarantee.

“I played six years. Chances are that my brain has been altered by the game. But I am not feeling symptomatic. Why am I not? If I do, when will it happen? Did the cannabis I used when I was playing help protect my brain? Is it helping me now? A lot of us say it is helping, but that’s just our hunches. We don’t know for sure.”

Study Shows CBD Strengthens Broken Bones

Recent research is proving that a specific chemical compound in cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD), may help heal bones and make them stronger.
By Jack Woodhouse - June 15, 2017

Whilst cannabis has been shown time and time again to be effective at treating chronic pain and managing conditions like epilepsy and Alzheimer’s in some people, recent research is proving that a specific chemical compound in cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD), may even help heal bones and make them stronger.

Scientists in Israel, a country at the very forefront of cannabis research, have published the results of a combined study conducted primarily by researchers from Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv University, which shows that CBD enhances fracture healing and stimulates Lysyl Hydroxylase (a highly abundant enzyme involved in bone healing) activity in osteoblasts (bone building cells).

The groundbreaking study, published in 2015, saw scientists inject either pure CBD or a combination of CBD and THC (the psychoactive component of cannabis) into rats with broken thigh bones. The results showed that pure cannabidiol (CBD) helped the broken thigh bones of rats heal “significantly” quicker and stronger than those in the control group.

The study was made up of three separate experiments. In the first experiment, THC or CBD was injected into rats with fractured femurs to test the cannabinoids’ effects on the structural and mechanical properties of fracture healing. The second experiment looked at the effects of equal amounts of CBD and THC on a fracture callus (a connecting bridge remnant of a healed fracture). In both experiments, the molecular composition of the bone was monitored for eight weeks using Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR). The third experiment analyzed the effects of THC and CBD on the expression of osteoblast (bone-building cells) enzyme lysyl hydroxylase that catalyzes collagen crosslinking (bone healing).

Remarkably, the researchers estimated that bones treated with pure CBD were 35-50% stronger than bones left to heal by themselves, making them less likely to break again in the future.

These findings could lead to new treatment options for people suffering from certain bone-related diseases, such as osteoporosis, which plays a part in up to 8.9 million fractures annually worldwide, according to the International Osteoporosis Foundation.

The team of researchers at Tel Aviv University that tested the effect of THC and CBD on rat subjects explained the results of their study via CBD’s interaction with the body’s own endocannabinoid system. They highlighted a connection between our bodies’ cannabinoid receptors and bone growth stimulation.

“We only respond to cannabis because we are built with intrinsic compounds and receptors that can also be activated by compounds in the cannabis plant,” one of the researchers said at the time of the study.

The study also highlighted the importance in detaching the therapeutic uses of cannabis with its psychoactive effects. Speaking to the Times of Israel, Dr Yankel Gabet from Tel Aviv’s Bone Research Laboratory, said: “The clinical potential of cannabinoid-related compounds is simply undeniable at this point.

“While there is still a lot of work to be done to develop appropriate therapies, it is clear that it’s possible to detach a clinical therapy objective from the psychoactivity of cannabis.”

This study backs up previous research which confirms that CBD and cannabis rich in CBD has great potential to treat certain conditions such as bone disease and osteoarthritis without the psychoactive effects commonly associated with cannabis use. This is good news for people with bone issues, and will hopefully go a long way to remove some stigmas surrounding cannabis.

“After being treated with CBD,” Gabet continued, “the healed bone will be harder to break in the future. Other studies have also shown CBD to be a safe agent, which leads us to believe we should continue this line of study in clinical trials to assess its usefulness in improving human fracture healing.”

Not quite that simple

Unfortunately, as is the case with much of the research surrounding cannabis, when it come to cannabinoids and human bones, things are not so simple.

A 2016 study found that chronic cannabis consumption was associated with a lower bone density. The study looked at 170 participants and found bone fractures were more abundant in those who were ‘heavy consumers’ of cannabis (in that they had consumed cannabis over 5,000 times throughout their lives).

There is few things worth noting about this study, however. Not least the finding that “moderate consumers” did not show an increased risk of fracture. The study’s authors also articulated that cannabis consumers had a lower average weight and BMI, which may well account for the reduction in bone density.

There is also a 2009 study which found that cannabis may reduce bone strength in younger people. The same study went on to say that cannabis has the opposite effect in older adults, with the authors even going as far to suggest that these findings may be beneficial for the future treatment of osteoporosis in the elderly.

This complements indications that cannabis can have disruptive effects on the developing brain, whilst offering neuroprotective properties to older subjects. Although much more research needs to take place before any definitive conclusions can be gleaned from these findings, it does seem to suggest that cannabis may be more beneficial later in life. It’s a confounding paradox.

Early days

Let us remember that the endocannabinoid system was only discovered in the 1990’s and research into it is very much in its infancy. What we do know, however, is that the endocannabinoid system is involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, digestion, hormone levels, memory, and much more. It seems to work to produce a kind of natural balance in the body (or homeostasis), which in turn leads to wellness.

Whilst we are aware that cannabis interacts with the endocannabinoid system – with many studies on cannabis proving very promising – many are also often confusing and contradictory.

Things are looking bright, however. Over the coming years, research will undoubtedly reveal more and more about how this miraculous plant works within the body, and in time we will learn how best to utilize cannabis in a therapeutic setting. In fact, judging by this recent Israeli study, CBD may very well be one of the most novel and effective treatments for healing and strengthening broken bones.

May as well jump back in here -it's been a while.. I hope everyone is well :biggrin:. I've been using CBD oil for about 2 weeks and I am sleeping better :thumbsup:I'll wait a few more weeks to see if it is really helping with my other conditions, but I can say I have not had any adverse reactions. If it just helps with the insomnia, that's enough for me to continue.

May as well jump back in here -it's been a while.. I hope everyone is well :biggrin:. I've been using CBD oil for about 2 weeks and I am sleeping better :thumbsup:I'll wait a few more weeks to see if it is really helping with my other conditions, but I can say I have not had any adverse reactions. If it just helps with the insomnia, that's enough for me to continue.
Good to see you back VaporsVaporizer. :biggrin: I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if you are still doing your dog shelter walk.

CBD seems to have a plethora of uses. Glad to hear it's helping with your sleep. I might have to jump on this and give it a try since I haven't been sleeping well the last year or so.

Are you still using herb during the day or have you completely switched over to CBD oil?

Hi Mom, I still use herb :biggrin: but it does not help me sleep :buenrollo: , give it a try . I am actually doing the walk again this year, it's on Oct 7 here and around the country in various cities.

Hi Mom, I still use herb :biggrin: but it does not help me sleep :buenrollo: , give it a try . I am actually doing the walk again this year, it's on Oct 7 here and around the country in various cities.
I will definitely give it a try since sleep is something that is elusive these days.

Post up a link to the walk in the Padded Cell and maybe we can get you some $ for this cause. :wink:

The Rise (& Risk?) of Chinese Hemp
By Greg Zeman on September 2, 2017

China-hemp-620x400.jpg

China is the number one supplier of industrial hemp to the United States, meaning that “50 state-legal CBD” product you’re taking was possibly produced with Chinese hemp oil. What does China’s market dominance in hemp mean for the growing U.S. hemp industry and consumer safety?

China has a cultural connection with cannabis that reaches back more than 3,000 years, so it’s less than shocking that the country is positioning itself to reap economic rewards from the rising global tide of decriminalization.

But the South China Morning Post reports that one of the biggest advantages China has in the budding international cannabis market has much more recent historical roots — research done into hemp medicine and textiles during the 1970s to support China’s war with Vietnam.

From the Post:

The military needed to develop a fabric that could keep soldiers clean and dry in Vietnam’s humidity, and cannabis hemp offered the fiber that breathed and was antibacterial. Other studies explored the plant’s use as a drug in field hospitals.

As a result of that research, more than half of the world’s 600-plus patents related to the plant are now held in China, according to the World Intellectual Property Organization. This has prompted concerns in the Western pharmaceutical industry that the Chinese government or Chinese firms might take advantage of the patent barriers.

Although China outlawed the possession of cannabis in 1985 when it joined the Convention on Psychotropic Substances, law enforcement there has largely ignored the continued cultivation of hemp by farmers. The country also has certain regions — notably the Heilongjiang province near the border with Russia — where farmers are legally licensed to produce industrial hemp.

In those regions, farmers can profit from the sale of every part of the hemp plant; stems go to textile factories to produce fabric, leaves go to pharmaceutical companies to make medicine and the seeds are sold to food manufacturers for use in making oils, beverages and snack foods.

And the crop is profitable for farmers, who say the result is “pure profit” — more than 10,000 yuan for every hectare of hemp — compared to crops like corn, which provide much lower profit margins.

It’s also worth noting that the Heilongjiang province — like many of China’s hemp producing regions — is not home to an especially hospitable climate. Here again, the country’s extensive research into the plant provides an advantage.

From the Post:

Over the decades, researchers developed various hybrid species that not just survived but thrived in China’s disparate environments, from the Arctic conditions in Heilongjiang, to Inner Mongolia’s Gobi Desert to the subtropics of Yunnan.

But what does all this mean for cannabis in America — the biggest importer of Chinese hemp?

Dr. Luc C. Duchesne is a biochemistry expert with 30 years of science and business experience. He believes that China’s extensive portfolio of cannabis patents, but also the nature of those patents — herbal, whole-plant preparations vs. “reductionist” synthesizing of key cannabinoids — could hold the keys to Chinese dominance in a global medical cannabis market.

“The predominance of Chinese patents suggests that pharmaceutical sciences are evolving quickly in China, outpacing western capabilities. Uneven country ownership of intellectual property suggests possible global imbalance,” Duchensne wrote. “In the Chinese patents cannabis is used in herbal preparations, whereas in the western patents emphasis is on the properties of one or more of the 415 cannabinoid.”

Duchense also points to the history of acupuncture in California, which went from outlawed to ubiquitous practically overnight, as an illustration of how rapidly patient paradigms about their healing can change. He sees the social movement towards more holistic approaches to medicine in the United States overlapping with the growing acceptance of cannabis medicine in mainstream culture; his conclusion?

“The writing is on the wall: westernized Chinese traditional medicine is coming to a dispensary near you.”

Maybe so: At the start of the year, the first online CBD product store and distributor opened with its headquarters in Shanghai.

The U.S. has a booming hemp product industry, but many of those products are produced with imported hemp from Canada or China because of legal restrictions on domestic cultivation. American hemp farms finally got back in the game in 2014, but they have a long way to go in establishing themselves as a major supplier domestically, never mind a global market force like China or Canada.

Putting aside the economic considerations, thousands of Americans are already consuming Chinese hemp oil — whether they realize it or not. What potential health risk is there for cannabis consumers using “50 state-legal” CBD products?

As with most things, it depends who you ask: Unsurprisingly, companies that produce CBD products from hemp oil say it’s totally the same as cannabis-derived oil; others say not only is that untrue, hemp oil could have safety issues and isn’t even federally legal.

Project CBD, a California-based nonprofit that promotes CBD research and medicine, has expressed concerns about the use of hemp oil for CBD extraction, pointing to issues with bioaccumulation by industrial hemp.

From Project CBD:

Industrial hemp typically contains far less cannabidiol than CBD-rich cannabis strains so a huge amount of industrial hemp is required to extract a small amount of CBD. This raises the risk of contaminants as hemp is a “bio-accumulator”—meaning the plant naturally draws toxins from the soil.

Additionally, the project raised concerns about the efficacy of CBD-only products, pointing to research around the “entourage effect” of cannabis in treating illness.

It’s unclear if CBD products made with Chinese hemp oil are any riskier than American-produced industrial hemp CBD. But given the rapidly growing opportunity for economic growth around the industrial hemp industry, as well as the need to more closely control and regulate the safety of CBD products domestically, it would seem wise for the United States to seriously expand its hemp industry.

DOES CBD BLOCK THE HIGH OF THC?
June 23, 2017

CBD can reduce activation of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor in cell experiments. Does this mean that it can actually prevent you from getting high?

Cannabidiol (CBD) is the second most common cannabinoid after the more famous THC. Although CBD levels in most strains of cannabis are low (and have been dropping for decades), it is currently gaining in popularity as a treatment for a number of conditions.

The high from cannabis is primarily from THC activating the CB1 receptor. In cells, CBD is able to block THC activation of the CB1 receptor. It logically follows then that CBD should block the psychoactive effects of THC (although also therapeutic effects of THC mediated by the CB1 receptor, such as the analgesic and anti-nausea effects).

With the surge in CBD popularity, there have been questions about whether taking CBD may block the high you get from THC. There are specific side effects of THC that CBD does block (anxiety, psychotic effects, and certain cognitive deficits). Those are important, and I will cover those in subsequent articles. However, I am covering just one thing here: can CBD reduce your high?

The CB1 Receptor Gets You High
The first thing to understand in this story is that THC gets you high by activating the CB1 receptor in your brain. Although THC also has activities at other receptors, getting high 100% depends on the CB1 receptor. It is also responsible for the increase in heart rate caused by THC.

How can we be so sure about this? Because in clinical studies, 3 different CB1 receptor antagonists (rimonabant, TM38837, and tetrahydrocannabivarin) could reduce both the THC-induced high and the increase in heart rate.

CBD Reduces CB1 Receptor Activation in Cells
CBD is capable of blocking THC activation of the CB1 receptor in cells. For a long time, it was thought to be a weak antagonist. However, this weak affinity for the THC binding site didn’t fully explain the effects of CBD in cells.

Only recently, a 2015 study showed that CBD actually functions as a negative allosteric modulatorby binding to a site on the CB1 receptor distinct from the THC binding site. From this secondary site, CBD is able to change the shape of the receptor in a way that there is less THC binding and less activation of the CB1 receptor. Reduced THC potency was seen at CBD concentrations as low as 100 nM – which can definitely be achieved in humans.

Conflicting Reports of CBD’s Effects in Animals
From the cell data, we would expect that CBD is capable of blocking the effects of THC in animal studies. In reality, the results are all over the place. In some cases, CBD reduces the effects of THC and in other cases it potentiates the effects of THC.

The reason for the conflicting results? There are multiple mechanisms through which CBD can interact with THC. [Read more about the 3 Mechanisms of the Cannabis Entourage Effect]. Rodents appear to be much more susceptible to a pharmacokinetic interaction where CBD boosts THC blood and brain levels. One hypothesis is that the timing matters: giving CBD before THC will maximize the pharmacokinetic interaction (potentiating THC) and giving them concurrently will maximize the pharmacodynamic interaction (inhibiting THC).

Clinical Studies of THC and CBD

A 1974 study was the first to combine THC and CBD in a controlled setting. Eight groups of subjects (n=5) were given placebo or 30 mg oral THC combined with placebo, 15 mg, 30 mg, or 60 mg of oral CBD.

This study showed that both 30 and 60 mg of CBD could reduce THC-induced increases in heart rate back to baseline. The psychological rating scale (from 0-4 points) they used showed that CBD brought the effects of THC from a 4 (practically a psychotic state on this scale) down to a 2 (a pleasant high).

The title of the paper says it all: “Cannabidiol interferes with the effects of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol in man.” This report started the notion that CBD could block the effects of THC. It was highly cited and still continues to be cited today, over 40 years later.

The problem is that this study is wrong. I will show you below that almost all clinical studies done since then have contradicted it.

How can one study manage to stubbornly influence people for decades, even after it is contradicted? Well sadly, this isn’t the only example: One short letter’s huge impact on the opioid epidemic.

Subsequent Clinical Studies:
  • 1975: A study of 20 mg oral THC and 40 mg oral CBD or placebo. No effect of CBD on heart rate or total intensity of high was seen.
  • 1976: A study of 25 ug/kg (~1.75 mg) smoked THC and 150 ug/kg (~10.5 mg) smoked CBD or placebo. There was no effect of CBD on heart rate, but the rating of psychological high was reduced from 5.7 to 4.5. When the CBD was smoked 30 min before THC, no effect was seen.
  • 1981: A study of 2 mg intravenous THC with placebo or 1500 mg oral CBD given over the previous 8 hours. No effect of CBD was seen on heart rate or self-rated high.
  • 1982: A study of 0.5 mg/kg (~35 mg) oral THC wit 1 mg/kg (~70 mg) oral CBD or placebo. No effect of CBD was observed on heart rate, but there was no self-rating of the high. CBD did reduce some responses on a standardized questionnaire of drug effects.
  • 2010: A “naturalistic” study where people could bring their own cannabis. No difference in the ratings of being high between people with low-CBD and high-CBD cannabis.
  • 2011: Two studies were published comparing dronabinol (synthetic oral THC) with Sativex (a standardized cannabis extract oral spray with 1:1 THC and CBD). These studies are difficult to interpret since the THC pharmacokinetics were different between the two formulations. However, no obvious effects on heart rate or ratings of feeling high were seen with CBD.
  • 2015: A study of 8 mg vaporized THC with 16 mg vaporized CBD or placebo. No effects were seen on ratings of feeling stoned.
  • 2016: A study of 5.5% smoked cannabis (~22 mg) with placebo, 200, 400, or 800 mg oral CBD 90 minutes prior. There were no effects of CBD on heart rate or ratings of feeling high.
CBD-blocks-THC-high-clinical-studies.png

I have shown the best studies in this figure. To be included, they needed to be double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized crossover studies with self-reported ratings of the THC high. Five studies fit these criteria, although one could not be included since it didn’t report the ratings of feeling high (they only stated that there was no difference with CBD).

Out of these 5 studies, only one (from 1976) showed a significant reduction in the THC high when it was taken with CBD. This study was repeated again, but with smoking the CBD 30 min before THC and there was no difference in feeling high.

Does CBD Block the High of THC?
So does CBD reduce the high from THC by blocking CB1 receptors? The answer is no, CBD will not reduce the high you get from THC. Despite CBD blocking the activation of the CB1 receptor in cell experiments, it does not appear to do this in people.

Although a few studies showed a reduction in psychological effects from CBD, most showed no significant difference in the THC high. This was demonstrated even at very high CBD doses up to 1500 mg (much higher than most people take). I could not identify any trend for the few reports that did see an effect of CBD, looking at THC dose, CBD dose, cannabinoid ratio, or route of administration

The lack of CB1 antagonism was further confirmed by heart rate measurements. CBD did not affect increases in heart rate from THC, an effect also mediated by the CB1 receptor.

Regardless of the cell experiments showing that CBD is a negative allosteric modulator of CB1, we are not seeing much evidence that CBD blocks this receptor in humans. This also means that if you take THC therapeutically, you generally don’t need to worry that adding CBD will block these effects.

[Featured image credit: Wikimedia Commons]

This article has a link to Greenleaf, a supplier of CBD. I am not endorsing them in any way but thought there were a few good points in the article.

Study Unveils CBD Could Treat These 10 Chronic Conditions

Published October 4, 2017
By
Brandon Manns

Benefits of Using CBD Oil

Cannabidiol (CBD) has become the trending topic throughout this year after being recognized that it has essential anti-inflammatory properties and its potential to cure numerous intractable diseases. The information on CBD has become so trendy that the subject matter is currently being examined and used for various medical conditions including the irritable bowel disorders and pain relief.

Definition of CBD

CBD can be defined as the natural cannabinoids located in the Cannabis Sativa plant. Unlike the THC, which is well-known to generate a psychoactive effect, CBD does not lead to a ‘high’ effect and hence, has been classified as a medical component that can cure an array of medical conditions.

A previous study conducted in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology established that CBD possesses exceptional healing elements including the following;

• Antiemetic: treats nausea and vomiting conditions
  • Anti-tumoral/Anti-cancer: curbs the growth of tumor and cancer cells
  • Anti-inflammatory: battles the inflammatory disorders
  • Anticonvulsant: reduces seizure actions
  • Antipsychotic: fights the chronic psychosis disorders
  • Anti-oxidant: cures the neurodegenerative conditions
  • Anxiolytic/Anti-depressant: eliminates anxiety and depression problems
CBD Oil Legal Status

CBD oil found in most retail stores are usually developed from Hemp, although if one is in a medical or recreational state, they can use the CBD Oil made from the Marijuana plant. The difference is that Hemp plants are planted in different environments compared to the Marijuana plants. Also, Hemp plants are stalky and tall and are planted in fields that grow corn. Marijuana plants, on the other hand, are stubbier and have a shorter stem.

Another difference between the two plants is that Marijuana is usually manufactured under conditions that enable the THC to be extremely present in the plant component, while Hemp has no traces of THC but instead, it has other elements including the phytocannabinoids, CBD, and terpenes.

From the legal perspective, marijuana plant is still classified as a schedule 1 drug which means it’s illegal on the Federal grounds in the US. However, independent states across the US and other countries have launched laws to legalize the use of weed for medical and recreational purposes such as the California state. This allows people living within the medical state to easily access the CBD Oil for specified treatments.

According to the projectCBD.org, the US Federal law restricts American farmers from growing Hemp for commercial purposes, but the selling of imported, low THC and industrial Hemp produce is partly allowed in the US. However, the products must originate from the seed or the stalk of the plant but not from leaves or flowers. Hence, people living in restricted states must look for information on where to purchase the imported CBD Oil.

In the past, it was not easy to find information on medical cannabis. But as many states continue to approve the use of CBD for medical and recreational use, there are numerous companies that are availing huge information on to access the plant including the MMJ Reporter, and much more. These companies are significantly paving way for optional medical health that has no side effects compared to the traditional prescription medications. It’s now easy to access the CBD Oil in the US as the product is usually shipped to the patient’s doorstep.

Whether the marijuana remains illegal or it’s approved, it seems to be effective for millions of people living in the U.S. CBD Oil is well-known for the following ailments:

1. Tumors and cancer cells conditions
  2. Epilepsy and other neurological conditions
  3. Anxiety, Stress relief and depression problems
  4. Arthritis
  5. Insomnia disorders
  6. Chronic Pain and inflammation
  7. PTSD
  8. Multiple Sclerosis
  9. Diabetes conditions
  10. Spasms
Finally

The CBD Hemp Oil is increasingly becoming popular in the medical field, and patients who purchase the CBD Oil from a reliable and certified company that has experience in the CO2 extraction process, are reaping numerous benefits from the synergistic cannabinoids and other vital oils from the plants. These products are essential for those who want to live a long and nourishing life.

For those searching for a natural course of a healthy living, Greenleaf is an excellent place to commence. The company has a broad product line that is constantly being developed to provide a wide range of products that cure several medical conditions. The company was recently voted as the 2017 world best brand.

Whatever the choice of oil you would want to go for, we wish you the best health and happiness. We have listed and reviewed several best brands available on the market and we recommend that you try them at your own convenience.

DISCLOSURE: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors, and do not represent the views of mmjreporter.com. Readers should not consider statements made by the author as formal recommendations and should consult their financial advisor before making any investment decisions. To read our full disclosure

Could CBD help treat schizophrenia?

Cannabis has often been attributed to causing mental illnesses, especially psychosis and schizophrenia. It is one of the only arguments left which the British Government use for justifying its Class B status.

Recent studies, however, have shown one of its essential components, cannabidiol (CBD), may have the potential to treatrather than trigger psychotic episodes.

CBD’s molecular structure

Researchers at the University of Wollongong first discovered how CBD’s potential antipsychotic properties provided relief to schizophrenic patients.

To understand the impact CBD could have on cognitive function, the team led by head researcher, Dr. Katrina Green, conducted a detailed review of 27 existing studies, uncovering some “fascinating insights” about its potential therapeutic value.

Discussing the findings from this initial study, Dr. Green explained:

“From this review, we found that CBD will not improve learning and memory in healthy brains, but may improve aspects of learning and memory in illnesses associated with cognitive impairment, including Alzheimer’s disease, as well as neurological and neuro-inflammatory disorders.

“Evidence suggests that CBD is neuroprotective and can reduce cognitive impairment associated with use of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive component of cannabis.”

…CBD may be able to treat some of the symptoms of schizophrenia that are seemingly resistant to existing medications.
Dr. Katrina Green

Inspired by these initial findings, Ph.D. candidate Ashleigh Osborne, along with Dr. Green, began their own clinical trial, testing the impact CBD had on lab rats.

Researchers infected pregnant rats in the 15th day of gestation with polyinosinic-polycytidilic acid, a compound commonly which generate psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia and autism in rats.

To test the impact CBD had, male babies were injected with 10 milligrams per kilogram of CBD for 3 weeks.

The team then measured the body weight, food, and water intake of the offspring every week.

The rats’ working memory and cognition were tested using rewarded alternation in T-maze tests and the Novel Object Recognition test. Additionally, sociability was tested sociability using a social interaction test.

Discussing the results, Dr. Green said: “We found that CBD was able to restore recognition and working memory, as well as social behavior to normal levels.

“These findings are interesting because they suggest that CBD may be able to treat some of the symptoms of schizophrenia that are seemingly resistant to existing medications.”

Interestingly, researchers found that CBD does not have the often-dangerous side-effects which come with traditional, pharmaceutical medications:

“In addition, CBD treatment did not alter body weight or food intake, which are common side effects of antipsychotic drug treatment.”

While the results were positive, the researchers stressed that further research is needed to see if CBD has the same therapeutic effect in humans.

The same research team now plans to investigate neurotransmitter signals in the brain to gain a better understanding of CBD’s potential therapeutic effect.

With more and more research providing evidence that cannabinoids have the potential to treat neurological conditions, how much longer can the British Government deny cannabis’ medicinal value in modern society?

Cannabidiol (CBD): Fighting Inflammation & Aggressive Forms of Cancer
Posted on August 31, 2015 by CannaThrive

Cannabis contains at least 60 known chemicals called cannabinoids, which activate naturally occurring cannabinoid receptors in your body.

Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is the main component responsible for the psychoactive effects, or “high,” cannabis is known for. While THC is known to have some medicinal value, there has been recent investigation into a new cannabinoid that is rumored to have more medicinal benefits than any single pharmaceutical drug on the market.

What is Cannabidiol (CBD)?
This cannabinoid is known as Cannabidiol (CBD), and is the second most abundant cannabinoid in cannabis. Research done by G.W. Pharmaceuticals suggests that CBD could be used for treating symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases, diabetes, nausea, bowel disorders, and many other hard-to-control side effects. According to an article from Projectcbd.com, CBD has even demonstrated neuroprotective effects, and its anti-cancer potential is currently being explored.

While it was originally believed that THC is a breakdown product of CBD, it is now known that both THC and CBD are actually metabolites of their decarboxylated acidic forms, THCa and CBDa. These acidic precursors are decarboxylated (essentially dried) by heat or extraction to produce THC and CBD; only then do they become psychoactive. The compound has medicinal benefits without the “high” that some patients do not desire. This makes CBD appealing to patients who are looking for an alternative to their current meds, which often have opiate-like effects.

“After years of growers aiming to boost THC percentages in their crops, many growers have switched to focusing on producing CBD-rich strains because of the increasing demand by medical users.”

Cannabidiol is even known to counteract some of the effects of THC like the “munchies.” Just as THC increases our appetite, CBD suppresses it, which could be ideal for patients watching their figure. CBD just might be a key ingredient in a future weight loss drug, who knows?

There is one exception to the theory that CBD suppresses appetite, but it is a blessing as well. Many people who have difficulty eating due to their stress or anxiety can use CBD to get rid of that sick feeling in their chest or stomach, allowing them to eat again once their anxiety subsides.

A recent study published in The International Journal of Neurophamacology points to Cannabidiol (CBD) as a cause of Neurogenesis in the brain; specifically in the Hippocampus, an area typically associated with conscious memory and navigation. However, the researchers believe that CBD’s anxiety relief may be due to this neurogenesis in the brain.

Cannabidiol (CBD) Treats A Number of Symptoms
Cannabidiol is what gives cannabis its sedative effect, and has been known to ease a number of symptoms from difficult conditions. There has actually been a substantial amount of experiments done on cannabidiol that has proved its healing powers.

Dr. Sean McAllister, a scientist from the Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, made an astounding discovery about CBD. McAllister has been studying cannabinoid compounds for 10 years now in search of new therapeutic interventions for various cancers. He discovered that cannabidiol is a potent inhibitor of cancer cell proliferation, metastasis, and tumor growth.

Results of his experiments on breast cancer show that the number of cancer cells diminished as more CBD was applied. Essentially, CBD may be a generally effective way to switch off the cancer-causing gene, providing patients with a non-toxic therapy to treat aggressive forms of cancer.

“CBD could be used for treating symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases, diabetes, nausea, bowel disorders, and many other hard-to-control side effects.”

Raphael Mechoulam of the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, and Faculty of Medicine has been studying cannabinoids for almost 50 years. Mechoulam gave a talk on cannabidiol on the 45th year of involvement in the field in which he spoke about a number of experiments being done on cannabidiol.

He described an experiment that was done in Brazil in which a 200mg/day dosage of CBD was added to the anticonvulsants epilepsy patients were currently taking. Over the course of several months only 1 of the 7 patients showed no improvement; three became seizure-free; one experienced only one or two seizures, and two experienced reduced severity and occurrence of seizures.

Cannabidiol (CBD) Is Anti-Inflamatory & Prevents Diabetes
A colleague of Mechoulam’s, Marc Feldman at Imperial College, London, tested CBD on mice that had a version of rheumatoid arthritis. He found that CBD reduced the mice’s inflammation by 50% at the right dosage. Cardiologists working with the mice at Hebrew University have found that a dosage of CBD immediately following a heart attack can reduce infarct size by about 66%.

“CBD did not just prevent onset, it blocked the development of diabetes.” – Raphael Mechoulam

Another notable study conducted by Mechoulam was done on mice bred to have a version of type-1 diabetes. The diabetes was designed to manifest right around 14 weeks, so the mice were treated with CBD for the first 7 weeks of their life and then again in another 7 weeks. He concluded that only 30% had developed diabetes compared to the 90-100% given the placebo.

He then repeated the experiment where the CBD wasn’t introduced until 14 weeks when the diabetes first developed. They were then tested at 24 weeks of age and again only 30% of the treated mice were found to have diabetes. “CBD did not just prevent onset,” said Mechoulam, “it blocked the development of diabetes.”

CBD-Rich Strains Are Making A Comeback
Unfortunately most commercially available indica strains have been selected and bred for their high levels of THC for the past 20-30 years. This has resulted in CBD being nearly bred out of the plant — most strains contain less than 1% CBD.

Since CBD typically shows up under 1% in most strains, it is sometimes hard to find a plant with equally as low THC percentages as to avoid the ‘high’ patients experience from THC. However, that doesn’t mean that these CBD-rich strains don’t exist!

Thanks to the many growers who are now focusing on CBD-rich strains for their medicinal benefits rather than seeking a high from sticky THC-covered strains, CBD-rich strains are making a comeback.

“Cannatonic” is one known popular CBD-rich strain which is known to contain 6.5% CBD by weight, and the same amount of THC, making for one of the most medicinal strains out there. Sour Tsunami, Ghost Rider, Harlequin, Jamaican Lion and Omrita Rx3 have been tested several times by several labs as high as 18% CBD with equal or lower percentages of THC (3:2 ratio of CBD to THC in most cases).

http://neurosciencenews.com/cbd-thc-cannabis-psychosis-7425/
CBD May Protect Against Psychiatric Risk from High-THC Cannabis Strains
SEPTEMBER 6, 2017

Summary: Researchers report CBD, a non-psychoactive compound in cannabis, can help protect against the psychiatric risks associated with THC.

Source: Indiana University.

IU neuroscientists find cannabidiol reduces symptoms such as impaired memory in adolescent mice simultaneously exposed to THC.

A study reported Sept. 5 by neuroscientists at Indiana University finds that a non-psychoactive compound in cannabis called cannabidiol, or CBD, appears to protect against the long-term negative psychiatric effects of THC, the primary psychoactive ingredient in cannabis.

Other research has shown that long-term use of cannabis increases adolescent drug users’ risk for certain psychiatric and neurological disorders, such as schizophrenia. The risk to teens is greater than ever since selective breeding of plants to produce higher levels of THC over the past several decades has substantially increased exposure to the compound.

“This study confirms in an animal model that high-THC cannabis use by adolescents may have long-lasting behavioral effects,” said lead author Dr. Ken Mackie, professor in the IU College of Arts and Sciences’ Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences and director of the Linda and Jack Gill Center for Biomolecular Science at IU Bloomington. “It also suggests that strains of cannabis with similar levels of CBD and THC would pose significantly less long-term risk due to CBD’s protective effect against THC.”

THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the chemical in cannabis that causes the “high” experienced during its use. Cannabis with higher levels of THC possess lower levels of the protective CBD, and vice versa, due to a biological link between THC and CBD production in the plant. An analysis of cannabis seized by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration found that while THC levels rose 300 percent from 1995 to 2014, the levels of CBD have declined 60 percent.

In contrast to THC, CBD does not cause a “high.” It is also an important ingredient in medical cannabis. For example, CBD appears useful as a treatment for some forms of severe childhood epilepsy, and its use for severe epilepsy was approved by the Indiana legislature this year.

“This is the first study in a rigorously controlled animal model to find that CBD appears to protect the brain against the negative effects of chronic THC,” Mackie said. “This is especially important since heavy use of cannabis with higher levels of THC poses a serious risk to adolescents.”

To conduct their study, IU researchers divided adolescent or adult male mice into five groups. Three groups received 3 milligrams per kilogram of body weight of either THC, CBD, or THC with CBD every day for three weeks. The other two groups received a placebo or no treatment.

All mice were then tested for signs of impaired memory, obsessive-compulsive behaviors and anxiety immediately following treatment as well as six weeks after treatment.

The mice exposed to THC alone showed signs of impaired memory and increased obsessive-compulsive behavior immediately after treatment. The adolescent group still experienced these changes six weeks after treatment, whereas the adult group did not. Both groups experienced a long-term increase in anxiety.

By contrast, adult and adolescent mice exposed to CBD alone showed no behavioral changes immediately or six weeks after treatment. Most significantly, mice in both age groups that received CBD with THC exhibited no short- or long-term behavioral changes. These results suggest that long-term use of cannabis strains containing similar amounts of CBD and THC may be less harmful than long-term use of high-THC strains.

ABOUT THIS NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCH ARTICLE
The first author on the IU study is Michelle Murphy, a Ph.D. student in the IU Bloomington Program in Neuroscience and Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology in the IU School of Education. Additional authors are associate professor Heather Bradshaw and research scientist Jim Wager-Miller in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences and in the Gill Center for Biomolecular Science and Program in Neuroscience; Emma Leishman, Ph.D. student in the Program for Neuroscience; and Joanna Winstone and Sierra Mills, undergraduate students in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences.

Funding: This research was supported by the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Source: Kevin D. Fryling – Indiana University
Image Source: NeuroscienceNews.com image is credited to Ben Mills.
Original Research: Full open access research for “Chronic Adolescent Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Treatment of Male Mice Leads to Long-Term Cognitive and Behavioral Dysfunction, Which Are Prevented by Concurrent Cannabidiol Treatment” by Murphy Michelle, Mills Sierra, Winstone Joanna, Leishman Emma, Wager-Miller Jim, Bradshaw Heather, and Mackie Ken in Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research. Published online September 1 2017 doi:10.1089/can.2017.0034

Abstract

Chronic Adolescent Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Treatment of Male Mice Leads to Long-Term Cognitive and Behavioral Dysfunction, Which Are Prevented by Concurrent Cannabidiol Treatment

Introduction: The high prevalence of adolescent cannabis use, the association between this use and later psychiatric disease, and increased access to high-potency cannabis highlight the need for a better understanding of the long-term effects of adolescent cannabis use on cognitive and behavioral outcomes. Furthermore, increasing Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in high-potency cannabis is accompanied by a decrease in cannabidiol (CBD), thus an understanding of the interactions between CBD and THC in the neurodevelopmental effects of THC is also important. The current study examined the immediate and long-term behavioral consequences of THC, CBD, and their combination in a mouse model of adolescent cannabis use.

Materials and Methods: Male CD1 mice received daily injections of THC (3 mg/kg), CBD (3 mg/kg), CBD+THC (3 mg/kg each), vehicle, or remained undisturbed in their home cage (no handling/injections), either during adolescence (postnatal day [PND] 28–48) or during early adulthood (PND 69–89). Animals were then evaluated with a battery of behavioral tests 1 day after drug treatment, and again after 42 drug-free days. The tests included the following: open field (day 1), novel object recognition (NOR; day 2), marble burying (day 3), elevated plus maze (EPM; day 4), and Nestlet shredding (day 5).

Results: Chronic administration of THC during adolescence led to immediate and long-term impairments in object recognition/working memory, as measured by the NOR task. In contrast, adult administration of THC caused immediate, but not long term, impairment of object/working memory. Adolescent chronic exposure to THC increased repetitive and compulsive-like behaviors, as measured by the Nestlet shredding task. Chronic administration of THC, either during adolescence or during adulthood, led to a delayed increase in anxiety as measured by the EPM. All THC-induced behavioral abnormalities were prevented by the coadministration of CBD+THC, whereas CBD alone did not influence behavioral outcomes.

Conclusion: These data suggest that chronic exposure to THC during adolescence leads to some of the behavioral abnormalities common in schizophrenia. Interestingly, CBD appeared to antagonize all THC-induced behavioral abnormalities. These findings support the hypothesis that adolescent THC use can impart long-term behavioral deficits; however, cotreatment with CBD prevents these deficits.

“Chronic Adolescent Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Treatment of Male Mice Leads to Long-Term Cognitive and Behavioral Dysfunction, Which Are Prevented by Concurrent Cannabidiol Treatment” by Murphy Michelle, Mills Sierra, Winstone Joanna, Leishman Emma, Wager-Miller Jim, Bradshaw Heather, and Mackie Ken in Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research. Published online September 1 2017 doi:10.1089/can.2017.0034

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back