Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds CBD

I wish it did something significant for me, but CBD is just not that effective for my neuropathic pain. Dunno why, but I don't seem to get the response that others refer to.
It might be because of the degree of your pain. And, like in the case of my salve, it might only be beneficial for certain types of pain. Or, it could have been the amount or the quality of the CBD you tried. :idon'tknow:

I have found that if I use CBD capsules daily, my pain levels are not gone but they are diminished. I feel a bit more 'flexible;' if that makes sense? But we've talked before about how cannabis, in general, doesn't take away pain. It just takes your mind elsewhere and makes it bearable in most instances.

Last edited:
It might be because of the degree of your pain. And, like in the case of my salve, it might only be beneficial for certain types of pain. Or, it could have been the amount or the quality of the CBD you tried. :idon'tknow:

I have found that if I use CBD capsules daily, my pain levels are not gone but they are diminished. I feel a bit more 'flexible;' if that makes sense? But we've talked before about how cannabis, in general, doesn't take away pain. It just takes your mind elsewhere and makes it bearable in most instances.
I don't know, Mom. The best I get is maybe like taking a couple of Advil. I've been vaping Painkiller XL which is about 16% CBD and 1% THC and I thought this would be very helpful to me but alas, not really.

But my problems are small compared to others and I am retired and can vape my balls off now whenever needed so there is that. Life is GOOD!. :aaaaa:

I don't know, Mom. The best I get is maybe like taking a couple of Advil. I've been vaping Painkiller XL which is about 16% CBD and 1% THC and I thought this would be very helpful to me but alas, not really.

But my problems are small compared to others and I am retired and can vape my balls off now whenever needed so there is that. Life is GOOD!. :aaaaa:
HI Mom - well, make a liar out of me!! haha

Its been a rather dismal two weeks or so for my back. It just ebbs and flows but the last two weeks have been pretty inflamed and this morning wasn't a good one.

So, I just went downstairs and vaped .15 g of Painkiller XL in my SB Jr (which I adore and should have bought long ago) and I'll be a sumbitch, it really took the edge off.

I may have to rethink this CBD thing....not miraculous...not like the poor kids with seizures that have such dramatic good results...but indeed it was helpful today.

So, I just went downstairs and vaped .15 g of Painkiller XL in my SB Jr (which I adore and should have bought long ago) and I'll be a sumbitch, it really took the edge off.
Well hot damn! :biggrin: I'm so glad you found a bit of relief.

I have tried CBD several times now. And in the past it hasn't done much for me. But I got some caps from a local grower a while back (actually purchased them for the dog when he had surgery as an alternative to narcs) and they are really effective. That's why I brought the quality into play.... there's CBD and there's CBD; if you know what I mean. :cool:

Well hot damn! :biggrin: I'm so glad you found a bit of relief.

I have tried CBD several times now. And in the past it hasn't done much for me. But I got some caps from a local grower a while back (actually purchased them for the dog when he had surgery as an alternative to narcs) and they are really effective. That's why I brought the quality into play.... there's CBD and there's CBD; if you know what I mean. :cool:
I do know what you mean....but this is fresh, MD grown med high-CBD flower so its really from cannabis and I thought the percentage was pretty good (with low THC so I can use in the morning and actually be able to make breakfast afterward...yes, I am useless when stoned haha).

Have a great day, Mom. Looks like rain here and I'm hoping. Would love to just sit on the couch and read/vape while pouring outside.

Have you tried adding topicals into your routine? I make my own, using trim and ABV to infuse olive oil, and adding that at about 1 part of it to 4 parts any skin cream. I don't use CBD alone as THC has useful properties as well. As a matter of fact I'm not a fan of using any specific strain for topicals as they all have benefits, and without psychotropic effect there's not much to watch for besides pain control. Have you tried DMSO applied topically on pain spots? I'm using infused DMSO to be a very helpful addition to my own pain mgmt repertoire.

Medical CBD Oil May Combat Iron Buildup Linked to Brain Diseases

Medical-CBD-Oil-May-Combat-Iron-Buildup-That-Can-Result-in-Brain-Diseases.jpg

Medical CBD oil keeps gaining popularity for its ability to treat and provide relief for an ever-growing list of ailments, from pain and seizures to anxiety. One of the powerful benefits being discussed is its ability to treat and even reverse debilitating neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Huntington’s disease. This is important news for the millions who endure the disorders or have loved ones dealing with them. But how can medical CBD oil produce such results?

The Matter of Iron Building Up With Age
iron-builds-up-with-age-in-the-basal-ganglia-of-the-brain.jpg

Iron builds up with age in the basal ganglia of the brain.
The answer is complex but it involves a series of studies that have indicated, for a variety of reasons, that the compound is effective at treating the diseases. An important place to start is with CBD’s ability to combat iron buildup. A buildup of iron can cause all kinds of disease in the body including liver fibrosis, heart attack and cancer. Iron builds up as we age and is shown to increase up to 10 times compared to that of younger cells. One place that iron is known to build is in an area of the brain known as the basal ganglia which is involved in habit regulation and voluntary movement. This is the area of the brain related to neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

How Excess Iron Impacts the Brain
In a 2014 study published in Molecular Neurobiology, scientists investigated the effect of excess iron on the brain. Mitochondria are found in every cell and are responsible for generating chemical energy in the cells and regulating programmed cellular death. One of the problems discovered in those with neurodegenerative diseases is less chemical energy at the synapses where cells communicate with each other. This shows a link between mitochondria and neurodegenerative diseases. These scientists flooded rats with iron and then observed high levels of dynamin-1-like protein (DNM1L) and caspase 3 which are proteins that are associated to cellular death. The cells were dying at a higher rate than normal. This showed a clear link between neurodegenerative diseases and mitochondria associated with excess iron in the body.

“Our results suggest that iron affects mitochondrial dynamics, possibly trigging synaptic loss and apoptotic cell death and indicate that CBD should be considered as a potential molecule with memory-rescuing and neuroprotective properties to be used in the treatment of cognitive deficits observed in neurodegenerative disorders,” say the authors of the study.
When cannabidiol, medical CBD oil, was given to the rats, the DNM1L and caspase 3 levels in the hippocampus returned to normal. Medical CBD oil was actually able to protect the brain from the effects of the excess iron in the body. While much more research is needed in this area, the findings suggest the value of medical CBD oil when it comes to treating neurodegenerative disorders.

The Results of Medical CBD Oil Application on Brain Inflammation
anti-inflammatory-propertties-of-medical-cbd-oil-combat-iron-buildup-in-the-brain.jpg

The anti-inflammatory properties of medical CBD oil have been found to combat iron buildup in the brain per published research.
The fact that medical CBD oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory is also another factor that affects its ability to treat neurodegenerative disorders. Chronic inflammation is a major cause of many illnesses and is connected to the development of Alzheimer’s. Gary Wenk, PhD, professor of neuroscience, immunology and medical genetics at Ohio State University has been researching ways to reduce inflammation for more than 25 years. PET studies show that after the age of 30, the brain begins to become inflamed and stops producing as many new neurons which are an essential part of making new memories. He believes that “one puff is enough” to protect the brain against inflammation and that a low dose daily exposure during midlife is especially helpful in preventing neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.

A study conducted by researchers in Naples, Italy and published in the British Journal of Pharmacology showed that CBD was able to reduce neural inflammation in particular. This is the specific inflammation in the brain believed to be at the root of Alzheimer’s and neurodegenerative diseases. Mice were injected with amyloid-β (Aβ), the protein that is believed to cause neuronal cell death. The study states that “CBD dose-dependently and significantly inhibited GFAP mRNA and protein expression in Aβ injected animals.” Authors state that “the results of the present study confirm in vivo anti-inflammatory actions of CBD, emphasizing the importance of this compound as a novel promising pharmacological tool capable of attenuating Aβ evoked neuroinflammatory responses.”

Using CBD as an Antioxidant
A study conducted by researchers at the Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Regulation, NIMH, Bethesda, Maryland reviewed how cannabinoids acted as neuroprotectants in rat cortical neuron cultures that were exposed to toxic levels of the neurotransmitter glutamate. The study found that CBD and THC “both reduced NMDA, AMPA and kainate receptor mediated neurotoxicities. Neuroprotection was not affected by cannabinoid receptor antagonist, indicating a (cannabinoid) receptor-independent mechanism of action. Glutamate toxicity can be reduced by antioxidants. Using cyclic voltametry and a fenton reaction based system, it was demonstrated that Cannabidiol, THC and other cannabinoids are potent antioxidants.” The study concludes that “In a head to head trial of the abilities of various antioxidants to prevent glutamate toxicity, cannabidiol was superior to both alpha-tocopherol and ascorbate in protective capacity.”

The Importance of Regulating the Endocannabinoid System
endocannabinoid-system-works-with-medical-cbd-oil-to-promote-new-cell-growth.jpg

The endocannabinoid system works with medical CBD oil to promote new cell growth.
Another important factor to consider when it comes to CBD is its effect on the endocannabinoid system (ECS). All throughout our body are CB1 and CB2 receptors that regulate homeostasis in the body. This means they regulate mood, sleep and appetite among a large host of other natural and automatic processes of the body. We naturally trigger these receptors to do their job and maintain our general health, but a host of issues, such as age can affect this process. The cannabinoid compounds such as CBD found in marijuana can trigger and balance the ECS, restoring equilibrium.

A big part of the ECS is its ability to regulate brain cell growth in adults. A study, conducted by researchers at the Buck Institute for Age Research, CA showed that when mice were given cannabinoids, it promoted hippocampal new cell growth (neurogenesis) in the areas of the brain associated to memory and learning. It also promoted neurogenesis in the areas of the brain connected to depression and anxiety, creating a correlation between the plant and its use in treating these disorders.

While there is still a lot of research to be done, medical CBD oil has an ability to treat and assist those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases, helping patients to get some relief and recover their health. More than this, it can work to reverse some of the effects of the disorders and even prevent them from occurring which is good news for everybody.

6 Common Myths and Controversies About High-CBD Cannabis

Cannabidiol (CBD) is an exciting focus of medical research, popular media, and legislation related to cannabis. Its presence is becoming ubiquitous on the shelves of health food stores and search engine results for numerous medical conditions, but don’t believe everything you hear. While CBD is an incredibly safe and therapeutic component of cannabis, there are many myths and misconceptions associated with it. Let’s take a look at a few.

Myth #1: CBD is non-psychoactive and medical; THC is recreational.
Both lay and scientific literature have classified CBD as a “non-psychoactive” substance, meaning that it does not alter one’s consciousness. But how could CBD fail to impact consciousness when it’s been shown to have anti-anxiety, anti-psychotic, anti-craving, alerting, and mood-elevating effects in human studies?

CBD clearly impacts our psyche, often in beneficial ways. It does not, however, impair mental or physical function in most consumers, even very high doses. Thus, CBD can be considered psychoactive, but “non-impairing” or “non-intoxicating.”

One doesn’t need to treat a serious medical condition in order to benefit from the use of CBD and to enjoy sharing it socially.
Most Leafly readers have already recognized and overcome the false dichotomy that CBD is the medical part of the plant and THC is for recreation. THC is clearly medicinal–hundreds of clinical trials have demonstrated that THC has remarkable and very relevant medicinal properties.

If THC is both medical and recreational, can the same be said about CBD? Likely not. While CBD clearly has medicinal benefits, very few people would want to use it for recreation. CBD does not produce a “rewarding” or strongly pleasurable effect. Its use in animal and human studies is not associated with euphoria, craving, compulsive use, or any other sign that would indicate it has recreational uses or drug abuse liability.

But this begs the question–where does recreation end and therapeutic use begin? If a group of friends shares a CBD-dominant spray or vape pen, they’re not likely to start giggling and telling long stories punctuated by periods of wondering what they were talking about. But they may be more likely to feel relaxed, focused, and resilient to stress. One doesn’t need to treat a serious medical condition in order to benefit from the use of CBD and to enjoy sharing it socially.

Myth #2: CBD is sedating.
While some early studies attributed a sedating effect to CBD-dominant cannabis preparations, CBD itself is not sedating; it is actually alerting. CBD has been shown to counteract the sedative effects of THC, delay sleep time, and reduce THC-associated “hangover.”[ii] Even very high doses of pure CBD, such as 600 mg in a single dose, have not produced a sedating effect in healthy subjects.[iii] Why the confusion? It may be that varieties of cannabis that contain high levels of CBD often also contain significant amounts of myrcene, a potentially sedating terpene.

I occasionally see patients who report that CBD can disturb their sleep. More often, patients tell me that CBD makes them feel awake, but when they lay down and close their eyes, they have no trouble sleeping.

Myth #3: A little CBD is enough.
I’ve been known as a strong proponent of using very low doses of cannabis to treat medical conditions, enhance the endocannabinoid system, avoid side effects, and prevent tolerance to cannabis. So, it may surprise you that I often support using high doses of CBD, especially when it is used in the absence of significant quantities of THC.

Milligram for milligram, CBD is much less potent than THC at relieving symptoms.
Why? Milligram for milligram, CBD is much less potent than THC at relieving symptoms. For example, one of my patients who experiences pain or anxiety relief with 3 to 5 mg of THC may require 30 to 200 mg of CBD to produce similar results, if they can be achieved at all. And while there is significant overlap in the symptoms that can be treated with either THC or CBD, the way in which they relieve these symptoms and the individual responses to these two agents varies significantly.

Studies that have used pharmaceutical-grade CBD to treat anxiety, schizophrenia, and seizures have used hundreds of milligrams per dose. This would be simply unaffordable for most consumers. But could lower doses of CBD provide some benefit? The answer is likely yes. Some of my patients report feeling more alert, focused, and clear-headed after using as little as 2 to 20 mg of CBD by mouth, or after a couple inhalations of CBD-dominant cannabis.

Myth #4: CBD is the same from hemp, medical cannabis, or isolate.
A molecule of CBD is the same regardless of its origin in medical cannabis, hemp, or a laboratory. But do the various CBD products on the market have the same effects regardless of their origin? Likely not.

While CBD is a remarkable medicine, it clearly works best in the context of its phytochemical brothers and sisters from the plant cannabis, especially THC. When used together, CBD can enhance the therapeutic effects of THC while reducing the adverse effects. Even very low levels of THC, plus additional components of the cannabis plant, seem to enhance the benefits of CBD on pain and inflammation, at least in one rodent study.[iv]

While the distinction between medical cannabis and hemp varieties continues to blur, it is still likely that hemp is a less efficient source of CBD–much higher amounts of hemp starting material, compared to medical cannabis varieties, may be needed to extract CBD. This may increase the risk of contaminants in the final product. Furthermore, the hemp-based CBD industry is rampant with mislabeling. A recent study found that only 31% of 84 CBD products purchased online were accurately labeled for CBD content.

So, what’s the best source of CBD? Whenever possible, I recommend locally grown, artisanal produced, laboratory-tested products acquired through a legal medical cannabis program. I realize that this is not possible for all readers. If you’re purchasing online, it can be hard to know what retailer to trust and, unfortunately, there’s no good solution unless you have access to third-party laboratory testing for cannabinoid potency and contaminants. I encourage hemp-based CBD consumers to ask for detailed answers about quality control–some companies will provide copies of a laboratory analysis that correlates with the batch in question.

Myth #5: Cannabidiol works by activating cannabinoid receptors.
We all have an endocannabinoid system as an essential part of life. It helps us respond to illness and injury, restoring balance at a cellular level, and is always functioning in all of our organs and tissues to keep us healthy. This system is thus a natural target for therapeutic interventions, including herbs, drugs, and lifestyle modifications, in almost every disease known to man. The hard-to-believe efficacy of medical cannabis in the treatment of neurologic, inflammatory, gastrointestinal, psychiatric, infectious, and metabolic conditions is justified by the widespread presence and healing effects of the endocannabinoid system.

The therapeutic effects of CBD are similar in many ways to those of its close relative, THC. Both relieve pain, spasticity, nausea, anxiety, and seizures, and both decrease inflammation.[v] We know that THC works like our bodies’ endocannabinoids; both turn on the cannabinoid receptors and lead to cellular activities that restore physiologic balance.

One would assume that CBD works in a similar manner, but this is, in fact, a misconception. CBD does not directly stimulate the CB1 or CB2 receptors. Instead, when CBD comes into contact with these receptors, it actually turns down their activity level, causing a mild to moderate decrease in the effects of THC and endocannabinoid signaling at the CB1 receptor.[vi]

Despite its ability to directly decrease cannabinoid signaling, CBD also has the ability to indirectly increase cannabinoid signaling. It does this by inhibiting the breakdown and transport of our most abundant endocannabinoid, anandamide.[vii] One clinical study showed that patients with schizophrenia who were treated with 800 mg of CBD daily had significant increases in their levels of anandamide over 28 days.[viii]

If it’s hard to make sense of these two opposite properties of CBD, welcome to cannabinoid science, a field riddled with opposites and paradoxes. If you take CBD, is it going to inhibit or stimulate your endocannabinoid system? The answer is probably both, and it likely depends on your needs and the amount of CBD you take.

Myth #6: CBD is legal in all 50 states.
Just because everyone says that CBD is legal, it’s for sale at your health food store or tobacco shop, available on Amazon, and has no abuse potential, you might think that it probably is legal. If you ask the DEA, however, you’ll find that they disagree.

Take a look at this 2015 memo from the Drug Enforcement Administration.[ix] According to the Controlled Substances Act, CBD is considered a member of the group of “tetrahydrocannabinols.” The FDA has also stated that a CBD product cannot be considered a “dietary supplement” because it has been “authorized for investigation as a new drug for which substantial clinical investigations have been instituted and for which the existence of such investigations has been made public…” This language can be found in the numerous letters the FDA has been sending to online CBD retailers.[x]

Fortunately, I don’t believe there is any real danger of legal consequences to the CBD supplement consumer. Retailers and producers of hemp-based CBD products still may face some risk, which depends on how motivated our federal agencies are to enforce these regulations that do nothing to protect public health.

Now that we’ve cleared up a few of the misperceptions about CBD, you might want to look at more myths about cannabis. Also, for more information on how to use cannabis therapeutically, you can access Healer’s free programs for new consumers, existing consumers looking for more benefits, and health providers needing support.

Russo EB. Cannabidiol claims and misconceptions. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2017;38(3):198-201.
[ii] Nicholson AN, et al. Effect of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol on nocturnal sleep and early- morning behavior in young adults. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004;24:305-313.
[iii] Borgwardt SJ, et al. Neural basis of delta-9-tetra-hydrocannabinol and cannabidiol: effects during response inhibition. Biol Psychiatry. 2008;64:966-973.
[iv] Gallily R, Yekhtin Z, Hanuš LO. Overcoming the bell-shaped dose-response of cannabidiol by using cannabis extract enriched in cannabidiol. Pharmacol Pharm. 2015;6:75-85.
[v] Russo E, Guy GW. A tale of two cannabinoids: the therapeutic rationale for combining tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol. Med Hypoth. 2006;66(2):234-246.
[vi] Laprairie RB, et al. Cannabidiol is a negative allosteric modulator of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor. Br J Pharmacol. 2015;172(20):4790-4805.
[vii] McPartland JM, et al. Are cannabidiol and Δ9‐tetrahydrocannabivarin negative modulators of the endocannabinoid system? A systematic review. Br J Pharmacol. 2015;172(3):737-753.
[viii] Leweke FM, et al. Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia. Transl Psychiatry. 2012;2(3): e94.
[ix] https://www.dea.gov/divisions/hq/2015/hq122315.shtml
[x] https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm484109.htm

CBD: Sleep Aid or Energizer?

The primary psychoactive in cannabis, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), has a drowsy reputation. It’s well-known that cannabis products can make you sleepy.

But, what about cannabidiol (CBD)? Could you be using CBD for sleep?

Research says that the cannabinoid can be both energizing and sedative, depending on the dose.

How does CBD affect sleep?
There is a lot to say about whether or not you should be using CBD for insomnia or avoiding it.

Research on the subject is really only just beginning. However, some early evidence suggests that supplemental CBD can have a significant effect on the sleep-wake cycle.

Already, studies of cannabinoid-like drugs have shown that targeting the endocannabinoid system may have significance for sleep health. Now, here are five different ways CBD may affect sleep:

1.) High doses of CBD may be sedative

In_Article_image_copy3.jpg

The right dose of CBD could help you sleep.
If you’re hoping to catch up on some missed sleep, higher doses of CBD may be more useful. A 2013 study published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology tested the effects of varying doses of CBD and a placebo in rats.

The cannabinoid was injected in doses of 2.5, 10, 40 milligrams per kilogram. Though, humans and rodents metabolize CBD much differently. Humans may not be affected in the same way by these dosages.

Rodents treated with 10 or 40 milligrams had an increased sleep time. Those treated with 40 milligrams substantially increased the amount of time it took to get into rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. REM sleep is the dreaming period that occurs before waking. Researchers speculate that emotionally impactful memories are processed during this sleep phase.

At the 10-milligram mark, however, rodents reduced the amount of time to REM. REM sleep is a lighter stage of sleep than non-REM sleep. Prior to REM sleep is a deep and restorative stage in the sleep cycle.

Mice treated with 40 milligrams also saw an increase in this slow-wave, restorative sleep, but the results were not statistically significant. In this instance, the higher doses of CBD seem to be more sedative than the lower dose.

2.) CBD can be energizing

In_Article_image_copy2.jpg

The wrong dose of CBD could keep you up at night.
Feeling sluggish? Low-dose CBD might help. Early rodent research published in 1977 found that a 20-milligram dose of CBD decreased the amount of time the animals spent in slow wave sleep (deep sleep), suggesting that CBD can be more energizing and can promote wakefulness.

At the 40-milligram mark, however, the research again shows that CBD has the opposite effect. It increased the amount of time the animals spent in slow wave sleep. Wakefulness also decreased. A tolerance developed at the high-dose after 15 consecutive days of CBD injections.

3.) CBD may counteract sedation from THC

Additional research suggests that CBD might also curb the sedative effects of THC. A 2004 human study published the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology tested the effects of THC and CBD in 8 young adults.

The study was double-blind and placebo-controlled. The participants were given either 15 milligrams of THC, 5 milligrams each of THC and CBD, and 15 milligrams of THC combined with CBD in an oral spray at bedtime.

The study found that in the highest dose, the THC and CBD combination promoted wakefulness rather than sedation.

In the lower combination dose, there was a decrease in Stage 3 sleep, which is the first phase of deep sleep. This loosely suggests that CBD may mitigate some of the sedative effects of THC and may promote alertness in humans at these doses.

4.) High-dose CBD may help insomnia

High-dose CBD may be helpful for insomniacs. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Pharmacology in 1981 found that a dose of 160 milligrams was more significantly more successful than placebo at helping participants get some sleep.

15 participants were included in the study. All of them received either 40, 60, and 160 milligrams of CBD. They also received a placebo and 5 milligrams of a sleeping pill, Nitrazepam over a five week period. The 160-milligram dose strongly improved sleep and was associated with fewer sleep disruptions. However, at these doses, participants reported having fewer dreams after CBD treatment.

5.) Some phytochemicals may increase sedation

Many of these studies examined CBD that had been isolated and directly injected into patients. However, a high-CBD cannabis strain may affect sleep differently than a CBD isolate. The cannabis plant itself can produce up to 545 different chemical constituents, though not all at the same time or in large quantities.

Some of these chemicals are aroma molecules called terpenes, which give the cannabis plant its unique and delicious fragrance. Certain terpenes are known to have sedative and muscle relaxant properties.

Two of these terpenes include myrcene (musk) and linalool (lavender). This may make some specific cannabis samples a little more calming or drowsy than others, including high-CBD strains. If the CBD strain also contains some THC, the presence of these terpenes may further enhance sleepiness.

Why does CBD affect sleep?
Cannabis is such a valuable therapeutic tool because of the way in which it affects the endocannabinoid system (ECS).

The ECS is a large neurotransmitter network in humans and animals. This network is made up of endocannabinoid molecules, which can loosely be thought of as the animal versions of psychoactive THC and other cannabinoids.

The ECS also contains cell receptors called cannabinoid receptors, as well as enzyme proteins that degrade endocannabinoid molecules. Together, these components help manage communications between the brain and the body.

Cannabinoid receptors are present throughout the nervous system, organs, and immune system. They are particularly concentrated in the brain and spinal cord. Since the ECS is so widespread, it affects a wide variety of daily functions, including sleep, appetite, learning, memory, and much more.

CBD and other cannabis compounds engage this system, which is why CBD can influence your sleeping patterns.

There's been a huge uptick in Lyme disease cases here in Michigan with the bumper 'crop' of ticks that we had the past couple years. A friend of mine contracted this disease and had a heck of a time getting rid of it. She stated that CBD helped her symptoms immensely.

Can CBD Kill The Bacteria That Causes Lyme Disease?

Lyme disease affects more people in the US than HIV and breast cancer combined. It is so underreported, underdiagnosed and misdiagnosed that most Americans do not realize that the number of cases has reached epidemic proportions. Can cannabis, more specifically hemp-based CBD oil, kill the bacteria that causes Lyme disease? Canadian doctor and Lyme disease expert, Dr. Ernie Murakami, thinks so.

What is Lyme disease? It originates with the spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferri, a spiral-shaped bacteria which is closely related to syphilis. It is spread to humans through black-legged deer ticks. The bacterium lays eggs in the host which can remain dormant for long periods, depending on the strength of the immune system of the host. If the eggs are allowed to remain and mature, this can result in potentially more severe symptoms and multi-organ implications. Lyme disease attacks every organ and migrates from place to place in the body. Suicide is the leading cause of death for those with long-term Lyme disease due to depression. Lyme disease can also be spread by mosquitoes, sand flies, black flies or any insect that bites humans or other animals such as deer mice and chipmunks.

Symptoms of Lyme Disease:
Rash The most well-known symptoms is a rash caused by the tick bite which forms a solid red oval or bull’s eye. It is flat and does not itch. The rash becomes more extensive but then recedes over time, if not treated.

Fatigue with flu-like symptoms

Swollen Joints that are achy and stiff

Headaches with dizziness and fever

Night Sweats causing disturbed sleep

Cognitive Difficulties with the inability to concentrate and with memory lapses

Sensitivity to Light and changes with vision

Other Neurological Problems including balance problems, tripping and falling, cranial nerve involvement leading to Bell’s Palsy, numbness and tingling

Other Rashes including unexplained rashes and bruises

Heart Problems Lyme carditis can invade the heart tissue, cause chest pains, lightheadedness, shortness of breath and palpitations

Mood Swings including irritability, anxiety, and depression

Unexplained Pain with tinnitus, hearing loss, jaw pain, and cranial nerve pain

Lyme disease can mimic chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, arthritis, MS, and depression which leads to an alarming number of misdiagnoses by doctors. There are 2 blood tests; ELISA, Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, and the Western blot test. They are not reliable as they only detect whether or not you have been exposed to Borrelia burgdoferri. The tests are unable to determine if you have an asymptomatic active infection. False negatives are not uncommon as well as is low sensitivity to the tests. Here is a link to information about Lyme diseases testing.

The conventional treatment for Lyme disease is the following:
Stage 1: 1-month treatment of antibiotics
Stage 2: 2-3 months treatment of spirochetes and eggs, using a combination of antibiotics which have serious side effects
Stage 3: 3 months of intravenous antibiotics to treat seizures, paralysis, and neuropathy which can occur in this stage

Dr. Murakami has degrees in Immunology and Bacteriology and teaches at the University of British Colombia. He had a very personal story which completely changed his mind about cannabis usage. He had been very opposed to cannabis until he sustained a head injury which caused a brain tumor to form. He decided to investigate the usage of CBD oil as a treatment option for his tumor. He began using hemp-based CBD oil and was amazed that within four months, his Glioma tumor was completely resolved.

He was so amazed by his own experience that he decided to expose live spirochete, Borrelia burgdoferri, to CBD oil, in a laboratory setting. In 2014, he asked a colleague to conduct such a test. The results conclusively showed that CBD oil killed the spirochete. In 2015, he conducted another test exposing the spirochete and the biofilm, which acts as a protective coating to the spirochete, to a 10 millimole/cc solution of CBD oil. The results showed that both the spirochete and the biofilm were killed by the CBD oil. In 2016, Dr. Murakami did a final test on the eggs which are harder to kill. He had another positive outcome.

Dr. Murakami decided to prescribe hemp-based oil CBD, 10 millimoles/cc, to his Lyme disease patients who did not improve with antibiotics usage. 15% of patients do not respond to antibiotics. Not only were their symptoms much improved, but their symptoms did not return 2-3 years after they stopped using the CBD oil. This corroborates his study that CBD oil actually kills the spirochete, the biofilm, and the eggs that cause Lyme disease and trigger other coinfections. Dr. Murakami recommends starting with a lower dose of 5 millimoles/cc, slowly increasing up to 15 millimoles/cc, if need be.

I have been unable to find any actually written studies conducted by Dr. Murakami, but I listened to an interview on Cannabis Health Radio where he discussed the studies he conducted and his results. I have also looked on his Facebook page which has many testimonials from patients who have been cured of Lyme disease, using CBD oil. Many of these people have had debilitating symptoms for years, even decades, and had given up hope before finding Dr. Murakami and his CBD treatment.

While the anecdotal evidence is very strong, actually human studies are needed to convince the scientific community that his results have validity. He realizes that what is needed is a double-blind human study on those patients where antibiotics failed; half would be given CBD oil and the other half would receive a placebo. He would need to find funding.

Please note: There are skeptics in the cannabis community that do not believe that cannabis kills the Lyme bacteria. However, they do highly recommend cannabis to treat all of the many symptoms of Lyme disease.

How Long Does CBD Last | A Timeline of CBD In Your System

The consumption of CBD (Cannabidiol) a non-psychoactive compound, is known to offer a variety of medical and therapeutic benefits. These benefits were identified by a study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, in 2013, ‘…including acting in some experimental models as an anticonvulsant, antiemetic, anti-inflammatory, anxiolytic, antioxidant and antipsychotic agent, and hence is a potential medicine for the treatment of neuroinflammation, epilepsy, oxidative injury, vomiting and nausea, anxiety and schizophrenia”.

Further to this, scientific studies also show that this product can have therapeutic uses for people suffering from depression, multiple sclerosis, arthritis and a whole range of other chronic conditions. However, a question which is often asked by many individuals is, how long does CBD last, more specifically, how long does CBD oil stay within the system.

When Does It Kick In
In order to decipher this, it needs to first be deduced how long does it take for the effects of CBD to start appearing within your system. Naturally, the method of admission with respect to CBD plays a factor here, whereby the results are felt within thirty to sixty minutes if you orally take the CBD, whilst if it is administered through vaping (CBD vape oil), or dropping CBD oil under the tongue, the results are felt within ten to fifteen minutes.

Now you may be wondering, how would you know if the effects of CBD are being felt; the answer is simple enough, if the symptoms you are trying to mitigate are in fact being alleviated, then the effects of CBD are being felt.

What the Studies Say
Another question which arises, perhaps the most important one, is that how long does CBD last. The answer to this question comes through a study, published in Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior Journal, which provides an insight as to how long does CBD last within the system.

The participants within the study took extremely large doses of CBD for 6 weeks, however, when they were tested for CBD after a week of not dosing, there were no CBD traces found within the system.

Thereby indicating, the effects of CBD to potentially last for less than or a maximum of one week, though certain factors may affect this assessment as a range of studies have concluded no definitive answer, as this assessment becomes subjective for each individual.

These factors may include weight, usage, how much and how often is CBD consumed, consumption methods, the individual’s metabolism and other related factors, causing the result to vary with respect to how long CBD lasts within the system.

Final Thoughts
On a lasting note, it is better to avoid CBD oil in large doses or better yet consult your doctor/physician if you have a drug test coming up, and intake only the recommended amount in terms of dosage. Also, source your CBD oil from a well-reputed manufacturer, who can provide the exact details of how much THC is present with the CBD oil / CBD product.

Know your supplier...

Psychoactive adulterants identified in some liquid CBD products

RICHMOND – In a release issued by Virginia NORML, liquid formulations of CBD available on the commercial market have been identified to contain synthetic cannabinoids and other psychoactive constituents, according to a scientific analysis published in the journal Forensic Science International.

A team of researchers from Virginia Commonwealth University evaluated the content of nine commercially available CBD e-liquid products obtained from a single manufacturer, Diamond CBD. The products were advertised as being "100 percent natural CBD extracts."

In addition to containing CBD, two of the nine products also contained THC.

Four products contained the synthetic cannabinoid agonist 5F-ADB, a schedule I controlled substance that has also been identified in Spice and other so-called herbal cannabis products.

One product contained dextromethorphan (DXM), a cough suppressant.

"The addition of 5F-ADB and DXM compounds to the CBD products may lead to unexpected psychoactive effects," the VCU research team reported. "Uninformed users may mistakenly associate these effects with CBD. The inclusion of these drugs in e-liquids can lead to dangerous consequences; particularly when the users are unaware, and the product are used for therapeutic reasons."

"There was no indication on the website, box or labeled e-liquid containers to indicate that these products contained any psychoactive substance other than CBD," they concluded. "The analysis of these products illustrates the potential quality control issues that can occur in an unregulated industry. CBD products are believed by many users to offer health benefits, but the detection of a dangerous cannabimimetic, 5F-ADB, and DXM in the analyzed products illustrates the need for oversight of CBD products."

Other studies have previously reported that commercially available CBD-infused products are often mislabeled – frequently containing far lower percentages of CBD than advertised on the label. Many of these products also contain THC despite being advertised as THC-free.

Analytical testing of CBD products by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has yielded similar findings.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and other federal agencies contend that CBD is a schedule I controlled substance.

Tests of CBD Oils Reveal Three Surprise Chemicals, One Big Problem

The market for cannabidiol products in the US is booming. But as CBD surges in popularity—it’s now advertised in drug stores, gas stations, and even cocktail bars—lab tests suggest that other chemicals are creeping in, creating the potential for a real public health risk.

A study released last month found that samples of CBD oils from one popular manufacturer contained potentially dangerous chemicals not listed in company materials, including a synthetic cannabinoid and a chemical generally found in cough syrup. Researchers said the additives “may lead to unexpected psychoactive effects.”

The study, by researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), tested seven products—a total of nine samples—from Diamond CBD, a retailer owned by PotNetwork Holdings, after receiving a tip and two samples from a concerned consumer. The unexpected chemicals found in the products include dextromethorphan (DXM), a well-known cough medicine with a history of recreational abuse and health dangers, and 5F-ADB, one of a growing group of synthetic cannabinoids—often known as K2 or Spice—that have cropped up around the world in recent years.

“The inclusion of these drugs in e-liquids can lead to dangerous consequences; particularly when the users are unaware.”
VCU study
On Diamond CBD’s website, the company explicitly states that its products are “100% natural, lab tested, CBD extracts” and do not contain synthetic chemicals. The company’s site also provides “no indication that these products contained any other active substances,” the VCU researchers wrote.

Following the study’s release in November, Diamond CEO Kevin Hagen told Consumer Reports that the company planned to retest its current products and recall them if needed. “The company strives to provide the assurance that we supply the best, highest-quality products on the market,” he said.

In a phone interview this week, Hagen told Leafly that Diamond did indeed retest the products featured in the study and found with no sign of either DXM or 5F-ADB in the results. He said the samples in the Virginia study seemed to be purchased in 2017, when formulas were different.

According to third-party lab results shared by Diamond, however, the products were found to contain another ingredient that CBD-buyers might not expect: melatonin, a hormone used to promote sleep. While Diamond discloses on its website that some of its products contain “a dash of melatonin,” the company’s own lab results found that melatonin was the products’ “major constituent” while CBD was their “minor constituent.”

1-c52003e970-2.jpg
2-889c8ab74a-2.jpg
3-05dad81773-3.jpg
4-cb6c818457-2.jpg
5-2fa47c5f0d-2.jpg
6-48fbbe33d4.jpg
7-46c5cc43ef.jpg
8-5dd5c9cf33.jpg
9-ff452fef86.jpg
10-774303b6cb.jpg
11-9c4c390812.jpg
12-e620df6cf1.jpg

I just ordered some cbd for my hubby. Whole plant.
And it wasn't from the above companies. I hope he's
able to feel the relief from it, in the way that I do.:weed:

Been eyeballing the case in the local food co-op. O.K. Now A CBD store opened up in my area and I'm seeing CBD sold in gas stations and it looks like I need to catch upon this thread. :thinker: And as far as medical grade quality? Rick Simpson Oil (RSO): Benefits, Effects and Research in 2018 - TheStreet

Four products contained the synthetic cannabinoid agonist 5F-ADB, a schedule I controlled substance that has also been identified in Spice and other so-called herbal cannabis products.
Well the e-liquid market has taken too it as well and additives like Melatonin are being added. too muddy up the market even further. Sheesh.

So any info before I go buy my first oil or tincture? Any insight or brands to avoid/rec'd. Best price per mg to expect? I almost fell for the 'free sample' scam. So I need to slow my roll.

Btw, Are these guys legit? Healthy Hemp Oil™ Official Site • Your Online CBD Hemp Oil Store I guess the best time to take your dose before bedtime?

I will look for 'whole plant' CBD. Any thoughts on CBD nugs?
:peace:

A great question! If you get CBD nugs the oil itself is easy to make. It will include exactly the ingredients you want it to contain, so you can add melatonin if you like, although there might not be a reason to, given that there is adequate CBD in your own formulation that you won't have to rely on fillers and additives.

Been eyeballing the case in the local food co-op. O.K. Now A CBD store opened up in my area and I'm seeing CBD sold in gas stations and it looks like I need to catch upon this thread. :thinker: And as far as medical grade quality? Rick Simpson Oil (RSO): Benefits, Effects and Research in 2018 - TheStreet

Well the e-liquid market has taken too it as well and additives like Melatonin are being added. too muddy up the market even further. Sheesh.

So any info before I go buy my first oil or tincture? Any insight or brands to avoid/rec'd. Best price per mg to expect? I almost fell for the 'free sample' scam. So I need to slow my roll.

Btw, Are these guys legit? Healthy Hemp Oil™ Official Site • Your Online CBD Hemp Oil Store I guess the best time to take your dose before bedtime?

:peace:

I don't know a thing about commercial CBD oil, but I'd be suspious if it's sold in gas stations. I have read of lot of it is phony and either has very little CBD or some had none. I suspect some of it is just hemp oil, that you can buy in health food stores.

I grow cannatonic #4, and have for years. It tested at one time to be 15% CBD and .5 % thc. Mostly we use it for rosin or oil, but I do keep a few buds for vaping. It tastes great, and the buds smell to me like juicy fruit chewing gum. I either get a brief buzz or none. But it does help with pain, and it seems energetic. At times I'll dab cannatonic rosin. The plant I grow is not a good producer tho, either in bud weight or in oil/rosin.

Most of it we use it in cannacaps. Some we make are just cannatonic, for day time, but the majority we make are mixed with thc. The ratios we use are 50/50 and 30/70 CBD/thc. In my small circle we've used it on epilepsy, cancer, ulcerative colitis, and arthritic pain.

Can CBD Help You Sleep?

Over 70 million Americans suffer from sleep disorders, which can affect focus, mood, stress, and appetite throughout the day.

Insufficient sleep has been linked to a number of chronic health issues, such as Type II diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, and depression.

The most common sleep disorders include insomnia, sleep apnea, and restless leg syndrome.

People suffering from sleep disorders will try anything to get a solid night’s rest, including supplements like melatonin or prescription drugs like Ambien.

However, many people are wary of the drowsy effects of prescription sleep aids, not to mention other potential side effects. Supplements can help, but only so much.

Luckily for people looking for a restful night of sleep, studies are increasingly showing that CBD may be an effective treatment for sleep disorders.

CBD and Stress Relief
For many sleep issues, stress is often the leading culprit.

In one study on job stress and sleep, respondents reported up to 11 days a month where their sleep was affected.

Since poor sleep can affect job performance the next day, this can become a negative cycle that leads into insomnia.

Or, people can fixate on needing sleep, a fixation that can be stressful and sleep-inhibiting in its own right.

Could CBD help ease these stress cycles?

The science on CBD as a stress-reliever is still in the early stages, however preclinical evidence shows how CBD could help safely reduce stress, especially for conditions like PTSD, OCD, and generalized anxiety disorder.

If anxiety and stress are keeping you up at night, supplementing with CBD during the day could be worth a shot.

CBD and Pain Relief
CBD-Sleep-In-article%20image%202.jpg

Addressing chronic pain issues is a huge factor for sleep and general quality of life.
The effects of pain on sleep disturbance can be even greater than stress.

Whether it’s a matter of not being able to get comfortable for the night, or the ache of a chronic pain issue, it can be a challenge to get a full night’s rest.

Even worse, lack of sleep can actually increase pain sensitivity, which can also become a vicious cycle when trying to fall asleep the next night.

Researchers have found that CBD can have an effect both as a muscle relaxant and as a relief from both short term and chronic pain.

If you are able to bring your pain levels down with CBD, you’re quality of sleep will hopefully improve as well.

CBD and Sleep Regulation
One of the more interesting areas of study revolves around CBD’s direct effects on sleep regulation.

Animal studies are beginning to show that CBD can prolong the deep sleep stage before the more active REM sleep cycles, which occur 90 minutes after falling asleep.

In a study published by the Journal of Psychopharmacology, CBD was also shown to increase the percentage of sleep time in the animal subjects studied, as well as decrease the amount of time it takes to fall asleep.

Dosing, however, is a critical factor. Some studies have shown that low doses of CBD can be energizing, while higher dosages are soporific.

Because of these opposite effects, people will want to experiment with their CBD regimen to find what works best for them in terms of dosage and time of day administered.

Conclusion: It’s Worth A Try
Sleep disorders have many causes and there can be a lot keeping each of us up at night, whether it’s life stress, chronic pain, or a biological sleep disorder.

However, studies are showing that CBD does have an impact on our sleep cycles and can also benefit other issues preventing sleep.

If you can find a quality CBD product, you can experiment with both daytime and nighttime use while trying to find your lowest, most effective dose.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back