Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds CBD

So CBD concentrates would be rendered ineffective from light and air as well, right?
Well... both THC and CBD content will diminish with light and air... so yes concentrates will as well. But understand that this is over time. So if you keep your concentrates in a container that is sealed and dark (like silicone or the JyARz concentrate container) then they should be fine. Occasional opening of the container will have a small effect each time... and how long you keep your concentrates determines their 'shelf life' as well if they are opened.

There's a video at the beginning of the article that couldn't be embedded. Follow title link to view.

7 Investigates: Testing CBD Label Claim

CBD is all the rage right now, and due to a change in federal law, it’s legal to buy.

But are consumers who purchase CBD products getting their money’s worth?

Investigative Reporter Hank Philippi Ryan put them to the test.

Do CBD oils, gummies, and capsules contain the amount of CBD their labels promise? CBD stands for cannabidiol. It’s a substance extracted from hemp plants.

It’s not the stuff that gets you high, but some say CBD is a natural way to treat anxiety, nausea, and inflammation.

Betsy from Rockland takes it for chronic pain from a car accident.

“I felt almost immediate relief,” Betsy told 7 News.

But are CBD users like Betsy getting what they pay for?

We randomly purchased nine CBD products in stores and online, including the CBD oil that Betsy uses.

Then we brought them all to CDX Analytics, a state certified testing lab in Salem where scientists tested the oils, gummies, and capsules to see if the amount of CBD listed on the label was accurate.

“Of the nine samples how many were labeled accurately,” Ryan asked.

“Not one,” CDX Analytics CEO Brian Strasnick said.

“Not one,” asked Hank.

“Not one,” Strasnick said.

In fact, more than half the products we tested had much less CBD than the labels claim.

The oil Betsy uses, the bottle says there are 250 milligrams inside, but the lab found it contained only 146 milligrams.

Betsy: “I’m disappointed it didn’t have more CBD in it.”

The label on one package of gummies says there are approximately 16.5 milligrams of CBD in each. The lab found they only contained about 4.3 milligrams.

One oil said each dose has 10 milligrams of CBD, but the lab found it contained only 1.7 milligrams.

Another product actually had more CBD than the label stated. The package says 25 milligrams in each gummy, the lab found it had 32 milligrams.

“What do you think about that,” Hank asked.

“I think the results are pretty alarming for the public,” Strasnick said.

We even found discrepancies inside the same bottle.

One label didn’t list how much CBD each gummy contained so we tested four individual ones.

And each had a different amount. A blue one had about three times more CBD than a red one.

The result: Consumers have no idea what they’re taking.

“It’s a roll of the dice,” Hank asked.

“It is,” said Chief Science Officer for CDX Analytics Brianna Cassidy.

“What do you think about that,” Hank asked.

“I don’t think it’s acceptable,” Cassidy said.

How can this happen? Though federal law says labels can’t be deceptive, we found there’s no “CBD police” routinely testing and making sure hemp products are accurately labeled.

“You have all these companies just opening up and selling them and there are not enough regulators to go around checking them,” Strasnick said.

“And as a result,” Hank asked.

“Consumers are not getting what they paid for,” Strasnick said.

Our tests prove buyers like Betsy cannot always rely on labels.

“I believe there should be more oversight. You should be getting what you purchase,” Betsy said.

We’ve learned the FDA is now considering more regulations for CBD and will hold hearings later this month. Massachusetts officials tell us they’re also planning more oversight.

“I felt almost immediate relief,” Betsy told 7 News.

That reminded me of this story on Hidden Brain;

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/29/718227789/all-the-worlds-a-stage-including-the-doctor-s-office

In medicine today, placebos serve a specific purpose. In the form of sugar pills or pretend treatments, placebos provide a benchmark against which researchers can compare drugs and other medical interventions.

"If people get better, we want to know if it's because [of] the drug we gave them, or is it spontaneous remission, or is it because of the doctor-patient interaction, or is it because of the ritual of taking pills?" he says.

Placebos allow researchers to separate out those factors from the influence of the drug itself. They enable doctors to determine whether a treatment does what it's purported to do.

I do not believe that the FDA and big pharma would go through the effort and expense to circumvent the schedule one status of cannabis to approve Epidiolex. There are medical benefits and a whole shitload of cash to be made and we are not talking gas station cbd products. My limited knowledge on Epidiolex is that the main ingredient is purified CBD aka CBD Isolate.

Last edited:
I've read articles that suggest isolates cause minor side effects on users. Effects like headaches and upset stomach, nothing major. This leads me to think that isolates provide more benefit the chemist than the patient. I leave isolates for others. Whole plant makes whole medicine...

“Of the nine samples how many were labeled accurately,” Ryan asked.

“Not one,” CDX Analytics CEO Brian Strasnick said.
I want to pretend to be shocked by this. However, The market is murky and full of chancers and opportunists who are under-educated as to what they are selling. I can only hope in time that more of the scientific/medical community will clear things up and more accountability is in order. In fact I'm optimistic. :buzz:

IMHO, I agree that isolates and non-spectrum CBD kind of defeat the purpose of the 'entourage effect.'

There are a few CBD manufactures that will have data lookup information for each batch. Here is Ananda as one example.
Certificate of Analysis Lookup Tool | Ananda Hemp
Bluebird Botanicals don't list the potency of the CBD on the bottle because it is batch specific and each bottle has a batch number to look up. Fortunately, I can buy it locally.
3rd-Party Lab Tested CBD Oil | Bluebird Botanicals Lot Numbers

Some people seem to get relief from the salves. I use one that has a half dozen of other salve ingredients for pain. Since CBD works on the neuro receptors, how might a salve that is applied topically beneficial for some over tinctures and pills. :thinker:

I'll try to get more info from the good people at my health food store. The clerk was telling me of the customers and their varying opinions as to what works for them and how they felt that the other methods were not as effective.

Also talking with someone from Hemp Haus on another forum. They mentioned that some terpenes are not good for your pet and rec'd their pet formula. So pet owners, you might want to dig deeper on that topic. Because there is the temptation that if it worked on me, well maybe...... I still have to tell myself not to give a dog chocolate or whatever scraps I have.

Since CBD works on the neuro receptors, how might a salve that is applied topically beneficial for some over tinctures and pills. :thinker:

Every organ has cannabinoid receptors. Therefore skin, as the 2nd largest organ in the human body, contains the second highest concentration of receptors, and these receptors can help dull pain. I'm a huge proponent of topicals as they've helped me get off a lot of pills.

CB1 receptors are concentrated in the brain and spinal cord, while CB2 receptors are concentrated more in organs. There is overlap.

Here's a helpful article...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor

Cannabinoid receptors are activated by three major groups of ligands: endocannabinoids, produced by the mammillary body;[citation needed] plant cannabinoids (such as cannabidiol, produced by the cannabis plant); and synthetic cannabinoids (such as HU-210). All of the endocannabinoids and phytocannabinoids (plant based cannabinoids) are lipophilic, such as fat soluble compounds.

CB2 receptors are mainly expressed on T cells of the immune system, on macrophages and B cells, and in hematopoietic cells. They also have a function in keratinocytes. They are also expressed on peripheral nerve terminals. These receptors play a role in antinociception, or the relief of pain. In the brain, they are mainly expressed by microglial cells, where their role remains unclear. While the most likely cellular targets and executors of the CB2 receptor-mediated effects of endocannabinoids or synthetic agonists are the immune and immune-derived cells (e.g. leukocytes, various populations of T and B lymphocytes, monocytes/macrophages, dendritic cells, mast cells, microglia in the brain, Kupffer cells in the liver, astrocytes, etc.), the number of other potential cellular targets is expanding, now including endothelial and smooth muscle cells, fibroblasts of various origins, cardiomyocytes, and certain neuronal elements of the peripheral or central nervous systems.[8]

Know what's in your medicine......

There's a short news clip that could not be embedded. Follow title link to view.

Is CBD oil the answer to what ails you?

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WCHS/WVAH) — What is really in that bottle that some are calling a medical miracle? We are talking about CBD oil.

It is a huge craze right now and is being sold over the counter in many places in our region and around the country.

CBD oil has its believers.

"It's just going to give you the body effects that allow you to focus on the real world instead of your pain,” said Rebecca Turley, who takes CBD.

That is important for Turley because she suffers from a number of ailments.

"I have fibromyalgia. I have a lot of mental issues, like anxiety, depression, . . . and I'm on the bipolar spectrum. . . ADHD,” Turley said. “A lot of stuff. Stress triggers fibromyalgia, so anything that triggers mental health can make the pain a lot worse.”

And she is not alone in her praise of CBD.

"I take it for pain. I have arthritis issues and it's very helpful for that,” said Alva Pick, another CBD fan.

Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD, is one of more than 100 compounds found in marijuana. When extracted, it does not produce a high.

That is why Kristal Reeves opened Purple Leaf Cannabis Dispensary in South Charleston -- to help people suffering with pain.

"CBD specifically is known for its inflammation benefits. So, it's definitely going to benefit someone who has arthritis and any other type of inflammatory illnesses,” Reeves said.

CBD now is going mainstream. The Hemp Business Journal predicts that the market for CBD will grow from $390 million in 2018 to about $1.3 billion by 2022.

But the product is considered a natural supplement, so it is not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.

That is why Dr. Elizabeth Brown, a family practice physician in South Charleston, said you need to be careful because the quality of the products can vary.

"You want to make sure it's made in the USA, or maybe made in Europe, because hemp, the root is a soil root and you want to make sure it's grown in good soil,” Brown said.

Brown also said to pay attention to the form of extraction used for CBD.

Virginia Commonwealth University lab tested nine commercially available cannabidiol e-liquids.

The website they were purchased from stated the products were 100-percent natural CBD extracts.

All nine contained CBD.

But four also contained a synthetic cannabinoid that has been linked to deadly overdoses, and one contained an unadvertised chemical found in cough syrup.

"The unfortunate thing is that investigation after investigation show that many of these products don't contain the amount of CBD that they claim to. Or they contain adulterants like dextromethorphan, melatonin, arsenic, heavy metals, or pesticide residue,” said Jenn Michelle Pedini.

Pedini is with Virginia’s National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws said for a healthy person, these things in CBD Oil probably pose little health risk

“But for a consumer who has a compromised immune system or who is looking to address a serious health need, a regulated product is probably a safer option,” Pedini said.

Over at the Purple Leaf in South Charleston, owner Reeves has certificates of authenticity that vouch for the quality of the products she sells. And she is willing to bank her patients' health on that.

The FDA said it will hold a public hearing May 31 to gather more information on the science, manufacturing and sale of cannabis compounds such as CBD.

In the meantime, it issued more warning letters to companies for making unapproved health claims about CBD products.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0379073818307047?via=ihub

Annotation 2019-05-12 114820.png

4. Discussion
The website where these e-liquids were purchased stated that these products were “100% natural CBD extracts” and provided no indication that these products contained any other active substances. The detection of THC in two products was expected as CBD products may contain up to 0.3% THC, and both naturally occur in cannabis plant material. However, the detection of 5F-ADB and DXM was unexpected. The addition of 5F-ADB and DXM compounds to the CBD products may lead to unexpected psychoactive effects. Uninformed users may mistakenly associate these effects with CBD. The inclusion of these drugs in e-liquids can lead to dangerous consequences; particularly when the users are unaware, and the product are used for therapeutic reasons. 5F-ADB was a Schedule I drug when both the Liquid Gold and Diamond CBD Vape Additive products were purchased. The formulation for Diamond CBD Vape Additive had changed from time the original sample was purchased, resulting in the detection of DXM rather than 5F-ADB.

5. Conclusion
The finding of both 5F-ADB and DXM were both unexpected. There was no indication on the website, box or labeled e-liquid containers to indicate that these products contained any psychoactive substance other than CBD. The analysis of these products illustrates the potential quality control issues that can occur in an unregulated industry. CBD products are believed by many users to offer heath benefits, but the detection of a dangerous cannabimimetic, 5F-ADB, and DXM in the analyzed products illustrates the need for oversight of CBD products.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0379073818307047?via=ihub

View attachment 9200

4. Discussion
The website where these e-liquids were purchased stated that these products were “100% natural CBD extracts” and provided no indication that these products contained any other active substances. The detection of THC in two products was expected as CBD products may contain up to 0.3% THC, and both naturally occur in cannabis plant material. However, the detection of 5F-ADB and DXM was unexpected. The addition of 5F-ADB and DXM compounds to the CBD products may lead to unexpected psychoactive effects. Uninformed users may mistakenly associate these effects with CBD. The inclusion of these drugs in e-liquids can lead to dangerous consequences; particularly when the users are unaware, and the product are used for therapeutic reasons. 5F-ADB was a Schedule I drug when both the Liquid Gold and Diamond CBD Vape Additive products were purchased. The formulation for Diamond CBD Vape Additive had changed from time the original sample was purchased, resulting in the detection of DXM rather than 5F-ADB.

5. Conclusion
The finding of both 5F-ADB and DXM were both unexpected. There was no indication on the website, box or labeled e-liquid containers to indicate that these products contained any psychoactive substance other than CBD. The analysis of these products illustrates the potential quality control issues that can occur in an unregulated industry. CBD products are believed by many users to offer heath benefits, but the detection of a dangerous cannabimimetic, 5F-ADB, and DXM in the analyzed products illustrates the need for oversight of CBD products.

The evidence keeps piling up that these e liquids are not safe. Scary

W
Lolz..........I have the bestest,purestest and most magical oil of all.
:rofl:
Care to let us in on the joke? :biggrin: I am trying to remain skeptical myself of the effects of CBD and would like to hear any solid points you/anybody can offer. Frankly, So that I don't throw any more of my hard earned money away. If that is, I'm only just doing it for some sort of placebo effect. I can come up with my own placebo effect. Or hire a witch doctor for a house call. :rofl:

And then I'm subsequently blathering info about an oil that has been lab tested by a third party. Magical or not, I do believe screening for anything poisonous is a huge positive compared to the stuff that is outright dodgy. And I'm glad that 'Dr. Bronner' is on board. No bathtub CBD!

What is puzzling is there is some people who have never consumed Cannabis of any type in their adult life, then try CBD, in more than 1 form, and end up through trying this and that method, end up finding one that works for them. Which isn't the same scenario as going to the doctor's setting, putting on a robe and getting a single sugar pill. Of course this is all anecdotal. And pain is internal in nature. But dang, I'm hearing enough people quitting there Pharm's after using it. People reducing their stress immediately. Sleeping better and waking up rested.

For now I'll gather feedback locally. And thanks to all the articles posted in the thread, getting to know the wild west of unregulated and unsafe products floating out in the market.
Here's a helpful article...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor

Cannabinoid receptors are activated by three major groups of ligands: endocannabinoids, produced by the mammillary body;[citation needed] plant cannabinoids (such as cannabidiol, produced by the cannabis plant); and synthetic cannabinoids (such as HU-210). All of the endocannabinoids and phytocannabinoids (plant based cannabinoids) are lipophilic, such as fat soluble compounds.

CB2 receptors are mainly expressed on T cells of the immune system, on macrophages and B cells, and in hematopoietic cells. They also have a function in keratinocytes. They are also expressed on peripheral nerve terminals. These receptors play a role in antinociception, or the relief of pain. In the brain, they are mainly expressed by microglial cells, where their role remains unclear. While the most likely cellular targets and executors of the CB2 receptor-mediated effects of endocannabinoids or synthetic agonists are the immune and immune-derived cells (e.g. leukocytes, various populations of T and B lymphocytes, monocytes/macrophages, dendritic cells, mast cells, microglia in the brain, Kupffer cells in the liver, astrocytes, etc.), the number of other potential cellular targets is expanding, now including endothelial and smooth muscle cells, fibroblasts of various origins, cardiomyocytes, and certain neuronal elements of the peripheral or central nervous systems.[8]
Thanks for the clarification. CB1 and CB2 being the first distinction ignored by news reporters. So LSS, topicals could make sense for say arthritis and joint pain if it absorbs via the skin,etc. Makes more sense now.
237px-Cb1_cb2_structure.png

the whole hemp as a human consumable is a hustle.
You are not alone in this theory of thought.... I happen to agree.
Hunh? Wha-wha-What? :nut: I think I need to hit the reset here. You've posted a wealth of info on CBD. Thank You BTW. But you don't believe whole hemp as a 'human consumable' thing. CBD comes from hemp. So that means??? :thinker: What do I mean? Well, I'd like to hear your take on this. If that's cool.
:peace:

Last edited:
Hemp is a textile and animal fodder agricultural product.
Cannabis is a medical plant designed for healing the human body and psyche.
Two separate distinct plants why do you think they are the same?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back