Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds CBD

Hemp is a textile and animal fodder agricultural product.
Cannabis is a medical plant designed for healing the human body and psyche.
Two separate distinct plants why do you think they are the same?
I don't think they are the same. Not quite that confused. I hope anyway. With some other distinctions. CBD is derived from hemp plants. Amirite? Not sure if it is technically 'industrial hemp'. Hemp meant specifically for textiles. Hemp seeds or hearts is sold as food. I would like to believe it is a hemp strain that is suited more for eating than textiles, But IDK.

Hemp is low thc strain of Cannabis. Sometimes in a field of hemp, one gal will get a higher than average thc in the group. Unless they keep it under control. Anywho...

Now you might believe that ALL the types of hemp including the CBD oils derived from said hemp is propaganda. And that is where I pose my question.

The fact you don't know if there's a difference between a hemp plant used for textiles,that is the fibers and a hemp plant used for fodder,that is the seeds and the pressed oil of said seeds as a consumer is the problem.
The answer is it is the same plant.
Nobody "bred"low thc cannabis the all low thc high cbd plants are hemp.
Hemp is awesome for textiles makes great cloth and rope but it is not for human consumption.
Cannabis was bred for human consumption.

OK. So there is no distinction or outlying benefit from Hemp besides textiles. I really didn't want to misrepresent your opinion on this. If you held another opinion.
I guess for me, the heart of the matter lies in the complexity of hemp or lack thereof?. It could be too simple of a plant to create those more complex compounds that cannabis can create and work it's magic.
True at an alarming rate it has been bred for this. Perhaps the fastest. I just don't believe it overshadows hemp derived CBD entirely.

So a hypothetical? CBD derived from Cannabis that has the most of the THC removed so it can be sold to Joe consumer. Is it still beneficial? Thanks for laying out your opinion. BTW.

CBD comes from hemp
Not always... CBD is also in cannabis..... and I like CBD derived from cannabis as opposed to hemp.

For instance... the salve I make is mostly CBD because the product used isn't decarbed first. And I've had CBD caps made from Cannabis plants as well. They have a trace of THC in them... which you wont find in hemp based 'CBD.'

Edit: Whoops... didn't catch a few posts in between where @arb explained the difference between the two plants....

Last edited:
The fact you don't know if there's a difference between a hemp plant used for textiles,that is the fibers and a hemp plant used for fodder,that is the seeds and the pressed oil of said seeds as a consumer is the problem.
Nobody "bred"low thc cannabis the all low thc high cbd plants are hemp.
Hemp is awesome for textiles makes great cloth and rope but it is not for human consumption.

Historically (at least 10,000 years) HEMP was bred as a nutritional food source and other things.
Food products: oil,flour
So I am not sure how you have come to the conclusion that it was not bred for human consumption.

"both [male] hemp and [female] marijuana come from the same “mother” cannabis plant, as per United States Department Of Agriculture (USDA). Cannabis sativa can yield a [brother] hemp or a [sister] marijuana."

"Is CBD extracted from brother hemp is the same thing as CBD derived from sister marijuana?
According to Franjo Grotenhermen, former Chairman of the International Association For Cannabinoid Medicines (2000-2003), “CBD is CBD.” He goes on to say, “the human body does not care where the molecule comes from.”

https://www.biocbdplus.com/marijuana-cbd-vs-hemp-cbd

Last edited by a moderator:
So a few days ago someone shared test results with me. The background is that this person was diagnosed with prostate cancer 20 years ago. After chemo and radiation it went into remission. It came back. Before Christmas he tried CBD suppositories (THC-sourced CBD, since we're on the topic). The graphic is pretty fantastic. It's hard to say that cannabis isn't capable of personal miracles...

20190508_203642~2.jpg

"both [male] hemp and [female] marijuana come from the same “mother” cannabis plant, as per United States Department Of Agriculture (USDA). Cannabis sativa can yield a [brother] hemp or a [sister] marijuana."

"Is CBD extracted from brother hemp is the same thing as CBD derived from sister marijuana?
According to Franjo Grotenhermen, former Chairman of the International Association For Cannabinoid Medicines (2000-2003), “CBD is CBD.” He goes on to say, “the human body does not care where the molecule comes from.”

https://www.biocbdplus.com/marijuana-cbd-vs-hemp-cbd
A male plant is a hemp plant and a female plant is a cannabis plant.........the first sentence of your "source" material leaves a lot to be desired.
Cbd by itself sourced from hemp is a hustle........that is my opinion.
Hemp buds being consumed by humans is a hustle.......that is my opinion.
You ever eaten hemp flour?

I'm hearing enough people quitting there Pharm's after using it. People reducing their stress immediately. Sleeping better and waking up rested.

Personally I'm off all meds, from a high of 27. I mainly use oils in drinks or sublingua, as well as topicals, edibles and vaping, depending on day and what I'm trying to get done.
People are able to quite their Pharma because it works. Depending on which research you read cannabis helps anywhere between 45% and 95% of people who try it (properly try it, not having a quick puff and winding why they aren't cured - it takes a little thought and effort). I like those odds, so I tried, and now I'm off a lot of meds, and I see it happen to other people most every darn day.

A male plant is a hemp plant and a female plant is a cannabis plant.........the first sentence of your "source" material leaves a lot to be desired.
Cbd by itself sourced from hemp is a hustle........that is my opinion.
Hemp buds being consumed by humans is a hustle.......that is my opinion.
You ever eaten hemp flour?
Arb I was not arguing with you. I am just posting historical facts. Hemp has been used for thousands of years as food.... Whether I have eaten hemp flour is immaterial.

I think a good analogy would be dogs. A Yorkie and a great Dane are both dogs but bred for different purposes.

Marijuana is marijuana but can be bred for different purposes as well.

I wouldn't grow hemp for fear of messing up my crop. Have you seen hemp grow? It's seed city. But I do grow high CBD plants.

Report: Majority Of Commercially Available CBD Products "Contaminated" With Heavy Metals

Washington, DC: CBD-infused products commercially available in retail stores and online often contain heavy metals, such as lead and arsenic, and typically contain less-than-advertised quantities of cannabidiol, according to a network news investigation of third-party testing results.

Investigators reviewed results for over 240 CBD-infused products. Their analysis determined that "70 percent" of the products were found to be "highly contaminated with heavy metals like lead and arsenic, herbicides like glyphosate and a host of other contaminants including pesticides."

In addition, "more than half" of the products tested contained percentages of CBD that were inconsistent with the product's labeling. Some products tested negative for any trace of CBD.

The results are consistent with those of previous reports – such as those here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here – which similarly determined that many commercially available CBD-infused products are of variable potency and may contain potentially harmful adulterants and heavy metals.

Earlier this month, NORML submitted written testimony to the US Food and Drug Administration recommending that the FDA provide regulatory guidelines governing product manufacturing, standardization, and quality.

For more information, please see the NORML fact-sheet 'FAQs About Cannabidiol.'

CBD effective in treating heroin addiction, study finds

Cannabidiol, the non-psychoactive ingredient in hemp and marijuana, could treat opioid addiction, a new study says. Given to patients with heroin addiction, cannabidiol, also known as CBD, reduced their cravings for the illicit drug as well as their levels of anxiety.

“The intense craving is what drives the drug use,” said Yasmin Hurd, the lead researcher on the study and director of the Addiction Institute of Mount Sinai. “If we can have the medications that can dampen that [craving], that can greatly reduce the chance of relapse and overdose risk.”

The available medications for opioid addiction, such as buprenorphine and methadone, act in a similar way, curbing cravings. But they are still not widely used. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, just one-third of US patients with opioid dependence in private treatment centers actually receive these kinds of medications. According to the 2016 surgeon general’s report on addiction, only 1 in 5 people who needed treatment for opioid use disorders was receiving any sort of therapy.

Public health experts say there are obstacles to getting these drugs, which are approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, widely distributed. Because methadone and buprenorphine are still opioids, who can prescribe and how much can be prescribed are highly regulated. In addition, treatment with these medications can require frequent visits with practitioners. “It’s really burdensome,” Hurd said.

Concerns about diversion and addiction to these drugs remain, despite their success in reducing mortality by up to 59% a year in the year after treatment.

‘So many people are dying’

Nearly 400,000 Americans have died of opioid-related causes since 2000, just slightly fewer than the number of American troops who died in World War II. “So many people are dying, and there is a need for developing medications,” Hurd said.

For their study, published Tuesday in the American Journal of Psychiatry, Hurd and her colleagues looked at 42 adults who had a recent history of heroin use and were not using methadone or buprenorphine.

Recruited from social services groups, halfway houses and treatment centers, the participants had used heroin for an average of 13 years, and most had gone less than a month without using. They had to abstain from any heroin use for the entire trial period.

The participants were divided into three groups: one group given 800 milligrams of CBD, another 400 milligrams of CBD and another a placebo. All the participants were dosed once daily for three consecutive days and followed over the next two weeks.

During those two weeks, over the course of several sessions, the participants were shown images or videos of nature scenes as well as images of drug use and heroin-related paraphernalia, like syringes and packets of powder that resembled heroin. They were then asked to rate their craving for heroin and their levels of anxiety.

A week after the last administration of CBD, those who had been given CBD had a two- to three-fold reduction in cravings relative to the placebo group. Hurd said the difference between the two CBD groups was insignificant.

The research team also measured heart rate and cortisol, the “stress hormone,” and found that the levels in those who got CBD were significantly lower than those who hadn’t received the drug.

Promising potential

The researchers used Epidiolex, the first FDA-approved cannabis-based medication, as their source of CBD.

With many CBD products on the market now the exact concentration of CBD is uknown. In addition, they may have additives such as pesticides and even lead. But, Hurd said, with Epidiolex the exact concentration and other ingredients in the drug is known, which was key. “We are developing a medicine. We are not developing a recreational cannabis,” she said.

Participants reported very few bad reactions, such as mild diarrhea, headache and tiredness.

These findings are similar to those of a pilot study Hurd ran, but she says the next step is to do a longer-term study, following subjects for up to six months.

The study’s potential was not lost on others.

“This is an extremely significant paper. We need to utilize every possible treatment in helping people with chronic pain to find other ways to manage their symptoms and in people with opiate addiction to find relief,” said Dr. Julie Holland, a psychiatrist in New York and former assistant professor of psychiatry at the New York University School of Medicine.

“CBD not only manages the anxiety and cue/craving cycle, it also diminishes the original pain and inflammation that leads to opiate use in the first place,” said Holland, who was not involved with the new study.

Hurd said there are still a lot of questions to answer in the next study, including the best dose, how many times it needed to be administered and the mechanism in the brain that is working to diminish the cravings.

But she was optimistic about the implications. “It’s not addictive. No one is diverting it. It doesn’t get you high, but it can reduce craving and anxiety,” she said. Ultimately, “this can really help save lives.”

cbd-oil-types-1.jpg

Buying CBD Oil: Full Spectrum, Distillate or Isolate

CBD Oil means a lot of different things and the more you know about these different things, the less likely you will purchase a useless product.
We hold this truth to be self-evident: not all CBD oil is created equally. While they all claim to reduce stress, soothe pain, halt inflammation, brighten mood or help with seizures, it can be tricky to parse which CBD product is worth the price and which should be avoided.

Before you buy any CBD oil, it helps to understand a little bit about the substance itself. You probably already know that CBD oil is made from cannabidiol, a naturally occurring part of the cannabis plant. CBD is the yin to THC’s yang. It’s responsible for the calming component of cannabis effects. Unlike THC, it is not psychoactive.

Know Your Source For CBD Oil
International-Athletes-Will-Benefit-from-Unrestricted-CBD-Use-in-2018-2.jpg

Because CBD comes from cannabis — or hemp — one big determining factor in how the CBD will work is what kind of plant it’s been extracted from. The best bet here is to look for CBD from organically grown cannabis plants. The more you know about its origins (where the plant was grown, where it was processed, etc.) the better. Closer to home, meaning in the U.S.A. or Canada is a good sign, but any country that has strict laws around the kind of legally allowable operations is probably OK. What you need to keep in mind is that CBD from unknown sources can be full of contaminates that the plant has pulled from the soil or from pesticide treatments. The last thing you want is to cause yourself harm by using CBD.

Another concern you’ll want to keep in mind is the amount of THC that’s in your CBD oil. This is particularly important if you want to avoid the psychoactive properties of cannabis or need to pass a drug test. CBD made from hemp must contain less than 0.3 percent THC, making it non-psychoactive (read: you don’t get high) and invisible on drug screenings. It also means it can be sold anywhere in the U.S.

The Types of CBD Oil
cbd-hemp-oil-legal-how-to-shop-for.jpg

While all CBD comes from a plant, the various ways its distilled affects the makeup and potency of the final product. When you’re encountering CBD oil in stores, types will be sorted by labels like “Full Spectrum,” “Distillate,” and “Isolate” that indicate what happened to the oil between its life in the plant and its life in the bottle.

Full Spectrum
cbd-oil.jpeg

is the purest, least affected kind of CBD oil. Also called “whole plant extract” in some markets, full spectrum CBD oil includes many different kinds of cannabinoids — and trace amounts of THC. Some prefer full spectrum oil thanks to the “entourage effect” of the cannabinoids that remain present with the oil. This is a good choice for consumers who want a full experience of CBD or are not worried about slight amounts of THC. It’s also been shown that full spectrum CBD oil is therapeutically effective at lower doses, so less is needed to achieve results.

Distillate
cbd-distillate.jpg

Also known as broad spectrum, distillate CBD oil has been refined to remove some of the cannabinoids and THC present in full spectrum oil. This cuts down on the psychoactive possibilities, but still retains some of the natural “others” present in pure CBD (including terpenes and flavonoids). This is a good, middle-of-the-road option for consumers who want to experience the benefits of CBD without risk of THC exposure.

CBD Isolate
isolate-CBD.jpg

On the other hand, CBD Isolate is just pure CBD in an oil carrier. The rest of the plant’s chemical compounds have been removed, leaving users with CBD alone. For nervous users or those who are looking to calculate a very specific dose of CBD, this is a great option. The single variable ensures that any effects from the treatment are due directly to CBD.

Measuring the Dose
cbd-or-hemp-oil.jpg

Maybe the most important part of choosing a CBD oil is knowing how much to take. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers make the dose size clear and easily understandable, so it’s best to do your research before using any kind of CBD product.

What you want to determine the total milligrams of CBD, which can vary from the total milligrams of the product in the bottle itself. For example, a tincture in a 2,000 milligram vial of CBD oil tincture could contain 200 milligrams of CBD, making it 10 percent CBD. That percentage is the key to understand how potent the product is. Arming yourself with this information will help you figure out if a particular brand of oil is worth the cost.

The recommended beginner dose of CBD starts at 2-3 milligrams per day. It can increase from there. The maximum dose depends on your body mass and medical condition.

Each type of CBD oil has its pros and cons. There is enormous medicinal benefit from accessing the entourage effect of full spectrum cannabis and there is dosage control benefit from using CBD alone. The latter may also allow you keep your job after those random drug screenings.

Well.... is there such a thing as too much of a good thing? Perhaps.... It's hard to know. This information is contrary to the information given in articles in this thread.

Marijuana Study Finds CBD Can Cause Liver Damage

There is no denying that cannabidiol, more commonly referred to as CBD, is rapidly becoming more popular in the United States than sliced bread. It is a hot trend that got started several years ago after Dr. Sanja Gupta showed the nation in his documentary 'Weed 2' just how this non-intoxicating component of the cannabis plant was preventing epileptic children from having seizures.

Since then, CBD, a substance often touted as being safer than popping pills, has become highly revered as an alternative treatment for a variety of common ailments from anxiety to chronic pain. But a new study suggests that CBD may spawn its fair share of health issues. Specifically, scientists have learned that this substance could be damaging our livers in the same way as alcohol and other drugs.

Researchers at the University of Arkansas for Medical Science recently rolled up their sleeves to investigate CBD hepatotoxicity in mice. What they found was while this cannabis derivative is gaining significant recognition as of late in the world of wellness, people that use CBD are at an elevated risk for liver toxicity.

The findings, which were published earlier this year in the journal Molecules, suggest that while people may be using CBD as a safer alternative to conventional pain relievers, like acetaminophen, the compound may actually be just as harmful to their livers.

It is the methods used in this study that makes it most interesting.

First, researchers utilized all of the dosage and safety recommendations from a CBD-based drug known as Epidiolex. If this name sounds familiar, it should. Last year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved it as a treatment for certain kinds of childhood epilepsy. It was a development that marked the first time in history that a cannabis-based medicine was approved for nationwide distribution in the United States.

Researchers then spent some time examining mice under the influence of various doses of CBD. Some of the animals received lower doses, while others were given more. The dosage is said to have been "the allometrically scaled mouse equivalent doses (MED) of the maximum recommended human maintenance dose of CBD in EPIDIOLEX (20 mg/kg)."

Shockingly, researchers discovered that the mice given higher doses of CBD showed signs of liver damage within 24 hours. To that end, 75 percent of these animals in the sub-acute phase had either died or were on the verge of death within a few days.

Regardless of your feelings on this particular study, it is hard to argue with dead mice – even if you are an all-knowing marijuana expert.

960x0.jpg

The photo of liver is on the man's body against gray background, Liver disease or Hepatitis, Concept with body problem and male anatomy GETTY
Liver toxicity is an adverse reaction to various substances. Alcohol, drugs and even some natural supplements can all take their toll on liver function – even in healthy individuals. But this is the first study of its kind indicating that CBD might be just as detrimental to the human liver as other chemicals.

But come to find out, there has been evidence of CBD's havoc wreaking ways on the liver for some time.

Lead study author Igor Koturbash, PhD, recently told the health site Nutra Ingredients USA that the risk of liver damage from CBD is a nasty side effect printed in black and white on GW Pharma's Epidiolex packaging.

"If you look at the Epidolex label," he said, "it clearly states a warning for liver injury. It states you have to monitor the liver enzyme levels of the patients. In clinical trials, 5% to 20% of the patients developed elevated liver enzymes and some patients were withdrawn from the trials," he added.

In other words, anyone taking CBD regularly and in higher doses might unwittingly find themselves on the road to liver disease.

Previous studies have also suggested that certain components of the cannabis plant may be harmful to the liver. Although one study found that marijuana may actually help prevent liver damage in people with alcoholism, in some cases it worsened the condition.

“Patients with hepatitis C who used cannabis had way more liver scarring than those who didn’t and more progression of their liver disease. Something in the cannabis could actually be increasing fatty liver disease,” Dr. Hardeep Singh, gastroenterologist at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, California, told Healthline.

But wait, it gets worse.

The latest study also finds that CBD has the potential for herbal and drug interactions. "CBD differentially regulated more than 50 genes, many of which were linked to oxidative stress responses, lipid metabolism pathways and drug metabolizing enzymes," the study reads.

However, Dr. Koturbash was quick to point out that the CBD products coming to market may not pose this particular risk. What he is sure of, however, is that more research is needed on CBD to evaluate its overall safety.

As it stands, none of the CBD products being sold in grocery stores and malls all over the nation have received FDA approval. And the only CBD-based medicine that has been approved, Epidiolex, is apparently stamped with a big, fat warning of potential liver damage.

Well.... is there such a thing as too much of a good thing? Perhaps.... It's hard to know. This information is contrary to the information given in articles in this thread.

Marijuana Study Finds CBD Can Cause Liver Damage

There is no denying that cannabidiol, more commonly referred to as CBD, is rapidly becoming more popular in the United States than sliced bread. It is a hot trend that got started several years ago after Dr. Sanja Gupta showed the nation in his documentary 'Weed 2' just how this non-intoxicating component of the cannabis plant was preventing epileptic children from having seizures.

Since then, CBD, a substance often touted as being safer than popping pills, has become highly revered as an alternative treatment for a variety of common ailments from anxiety to chronic pain. But a new study suggests that CBD may spawn its fair share of health issues. Specifically, scientists have learned that this substance could be damaging our livers in the same way as alcohol and other drugs.

Researchers at the University of Arkansas for Medical Science recently rolled up their sleeves to investigate CBD hepatotoxicity in mice. What they found was while this cannabis derivative is gaining significant recognition as of late in the world of wellness, people that use CBD are at an elevated risk for liver toxicity.

The findings, which were published earlier this year in the journal Molecules, suggest that while people may be using CBD as a safer alternative to conventional pain relievers, like acetaminophen, the compound may actually be just as harmful to their livers.

It is the methods used in this study that makes it most interesting.

First, researchers utilized all of the dosage and safety recommendations from a CBD-based drug known as Epidiolex. If this name sounds familiar, it should. Last year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved it as a treatment for certain kinds of childhood epilepsy. It was a development that marked the first time in history that a cannabis-based medicine was approved for nationwide distribution in the United States.

Researchers then spent some time examining mice under the influence of various doses of CBD. Some of the animals received lower doses, while others were given more. The dosage is said to have been "the allometrically scaled mouse equivalent doses (MED) of the maximum recommended human maintenance dose of CBD in EPIDIOLEX (20 mg/kg)."

Shockingly, researchers discovered that the mice given higher doses of CBD showed signs of liver damage within 24 hours. To that end, 75 percent of these animals in the sub-acute phase had either died or were on the verge of death within a few days.

Regardless of your feelings on this particular study, it is hard to argue with dead mice – even if you are an all-knowing marijuana expert.

960x0.jpg

The photo of liver is on the man's body against gray background, Liver disease or Hepatitis, Concept with body problem and male anatomy GETTY
Liver toxicity is an adverse reaction to various substances. Alcohol, drugs and even some natural supplements can all take their toll on liver function – even in healthy individuals. But this is the first study of its kind indicating that CBD might be just as detrimental to the human liver as other chemicals.

But come to find out, there has been evidence of CBD's havoc wreaking ways on the liver for some time.

Lead study author Igor Koturbash, PhD, recently told the health site Nutra Ingredients USA that the risk of liver damage from CBD is a nasty side effect printed in black and white on GW Pharma's Epidiolex packaging.

"If you look at the Epidolex label," he said, "it clearly states a warning for liver injury. It states you have to monitor the liver enzyme levels of the patients. In clinical trials, 5% to 20% of the patients developed elevated liver enzymes and some patients were withdrawn from the trials," he added.

In other words, anyone taking CBD regularly and in higher doses might unwittingly find themselves on the road to liver disease.

Previous studies have also suggested that certain components of the cannabis plant may be harmful to the liver. Although one study found that marijuana may actually help prevent liver damage in people with alcoholism, in some cases it worsened the condition.

“Patients with hepatitis C who used cannabis had way more liver scarring than those who didn’t and more progression of their liver disease. Something in the cannabis could actually be increasing fatty liver disease,” Dr. Hardeep Singh, gastroenterologist at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, California, told Healthline.

But wait, it gets worse.

The latest study also finds that CBD has the potential for herbal and drug interactions. "CBD differentially regulated more than 50 genes, many of which were linked to oxidative stress responses, lipid metabolism pathways and drug metabolizing enzymes," the study reads.

However, Dr. Koturbash was quick to point out that the CBD products coming to market may not pose this particular risk. What he is sure of, however, is that more research is needed on CBD to evaluate its overall safety.

As it stands, none of the CBD products being sold in grocery stores and malls all over the nation have received FDA approval. And the only CBD-based medicine that has been approved, Epidiolex, is apparently stamped with a big, fat warning of potential liver damage.

It may be another case of isolating one cannabinoid like science likes to do.

Looking at the salsa but not the whole enchilada.

I copied this from the above article - This statement looks prejudicial and stood out to me.

I’m sure better studies are needed. Pharmaceutical companies don’t want to compete with cannabis unless they get in on the action. $ is the bottom line.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back