Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Safety Ceramic Safety

Sixstringsmash

Where am I?
So I just saw this posted over on the electronic cigarette subreddit regarding a study that was done by UWELL that seems to state that inhaling ceramic coils can cause a whole bunch of dangerous things to happen to your body. I was curious if anyone knows if their is any merit to this study, and also if these ceramic coils are indeed dangerous, are they only dangerous when used in an e-cigarette form, or should we worry about some of our dry herb vapes that also use ceramic heating elements, such as the SSV.

This is the study I read I'm talking about here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...-KBruO681JMzcTmwF4Dn8g118X8gL4eQ/formResponse

Great question and I can see why you'd be concerned @Sixstringsmash . My only concern with this 'study' is that it is not 'peer reviewed' as @herbivore21 would probably notice. And it seems a bit self serving since it is done by a company that makes a different type of atty that doesn't employ ceramic.

But I'll be interested in what we dig up on this. It could affect a lot of vapes.

I totally get where you're coming from Mom! I share the same concern with the fact about it not being peer reviewed. I feel I should mention though that UWELL actually did used to make a ceramic coil for their tanks, but has since stopped producing them. Now if this is the reason as to why they stopped I honestly don't know, but it's definitely interesting!

EDIT: I made a whoopsie it looks like they actually never made a ceramic coil themselves, but just had certain ceramic coils which would fit in their tanks, but not actually made by them. Sorry!

Since @herbivore21 has not been able to weigh in on this I thought I would do a little snooping of my own. And came up with this post on reddit that pretty much debunks the 'study' that UWELL conducted.

Ok, I've seen this crop up multiple times in short order on this sub and I felt the need to re-share this here since so many seem to be buying the propaganda of a company trying to appear like they are taking the high road instead of just getting wrecked by their competition.

Uwell study:

https://docs.google.com/a/aspenvall...nhDG-KBruO681JMzcTmwF4Dn8g118X8gL4eQ/viewform

The study shows you some rather scary pictures of silica dust and talks about the dangers and health risks of inhaling it, citing Silicosis and death.

The part they leave out? Historically people who have come down with these sorts of health issues worked in industrial settings cutting ceramic and being exposed to high levels of silica dust without having any sort of breathing mask. (heck at the end of the article they even cite a wiki article that lines out this health problem comes from industrial settings)

Independent testing of ceramic coils in e-cigs have come back with zero signs of any silica dust in lab settings under a microscope.

(one example: https://www.docdroid.net/hftSRNe/1215-592.pdf.html there are others out there as well, this one is just easier to find without tracking down company reps and asking for testing results)

Conclusions: Is ceramic 100% safe? We're not explicitly sure, just like most things with vaping, but science has yet to show the amount of ceramic even the most cloud chasing ent would actually be exposed to would be problematic nor evidence that any ceramic option on the market is actually putting off any silica dust at all.

If you don't want to use ceramic because of the possibility of problems; that's absolutely your choice and there's nothing wrong with that.

Just be mindful there has yet to be any evidence that any ceramic vape device is actually problematic; just parallels to other potential health problems that come from much higher rates of exposure.

My feeling remains that UWELL was putting this information out to suit their own needs more than to inform the public. :twocents:

So I just saw this posted over on the electronic cigarette subreddit regarding a study that was done by UWELL that seems to state that inhaling ceramic coils can cause a whole bunch of dangerous things to happen to your body. I was curious if anyone knows if their is any merit to this study, and also if these ceramic coils are indeed dangerous, are they only dangerous when used in an e-cigarette form, or should we worry about some of our dry herb vapes that also use ceramic heating elements, such as the SSV.

This is the study I read I'm talking about here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...-KBruO681JMzcTmwF4Dn8g118X8gL4eQ/formResponse
Peace six!

Um, did you see the coils he was talking about, on page 2?

Who the eff would buy shi**y coils like that and think they're going to be anything worthwhile?

He never showed a half way decent ceramic coil that someone might actually use, imo.

Those were pics of like "How cheap can you make me a ceramic coil overseas for a pen vape?" coils.

What is expected, and I think he is doing marketing rather than informing, is the statement "Here's two of the top selling ceramic coils". So that's what people think he is saying. No, he says "here are two". Like just two random coils.

Sounds sketchy. Like mom, that's my opinion until I would hear otherwise from @herbivore21 .

Peace and safe vaping to everyone.

Damn, I'm going to have some catching up to do when I finish this long busy stint! I do apologize for not having had a chance to reply to this thread as of yet, I look forward to rejoining my favorite community of vaporists very soon to discuss :peace:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back