Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
Good to hear you doing well considering mate
And glad you are able to hold a point of view that sees a future
Good news that you are around to deal with what you need to now
The goal of visiting places and seeing things is great for you to look forward to

Currently on a break due to an upcoming procedure. I probably don’t need to stop but I prefer to do it before general anesthesia. I’ve been using Ghost Rider and Wedding Cake RSO. I have several grams of concentrates on hand and will return to using those with the Sai and Boost Evo. I’m getting some pain relief with the RSO but I suspect it will be better with the concentrates.

Everything is now progressing at a rapid rate. My tumors are increasing in size and number. I had two PET scans separated by two weeks. Significantly progressing bone and lung tumors. The bone tumors are causing incredible pain but my doctor put me on a new regimen for pain management and it’s definitely working. No additional opiates either. I just take 20mg of Oxy 2x a day instead of 10mg 4x a day . This strategy for opiates and my other pills is perfect.

One PET is for a clinical trial which at this point will only do so much. The other was for a routine checkup.

I went in for blood work and they took 9-10 vials. It was off putting seeing all of them lined up.

The trial drugs will cause some manageable side effects (these are 100%
guaranteed to happen ) but potentially some that will make it not worthwhile continuing. I’m still eligible so I’m doing this for science - taking a hit for the team.

I’m exploring hospice
already. We’re looking for an open access hospice first but my first choice is not one of them unless they make an exception. My oncologist has been so kind about this. I think he understands that I need honesty in all of this so he’s helping me by acting in a matter-of-fact way but also empathetic also. I’m wondering how they picked up on that. It’s probably from a form I filled out about interaction preferences. I kind of remember a form covering that issue.

Unfortunately, as of yesterday. I’m looking at 3 to 6 months. I mentioned how some hospices require that a person have a life expectancy of 6 months and I asked him “So, I’m looking at 3-6, right?” He said “I think that’s reasonable.” Reasonable…. I think it’s reasonable because everything is moving so quickly.

Israeli cannabis start-up leads way in killing cancer- study

In a new study, CannaboBreast products by Cannabotech showed up to a sixfold improvement in killing breast cancer cells over the existing treatment.​

Israeli biotech company Cannabotech reported on Monday the results of a cell model study conducted by Hadassah Medical Center physicians examining the efficacy of CannaboBreast products intended for treating breast cancer with drug protocols: chemotherapy, biological and hormonal. The findings claim the products show up to a sixfold improvement in killing cancer cells over the existing treatment.

Cannabotech develops medical products based on cannabis and fungal extracts. According to the study's results, the composition of cannabinoids in combination with standard chemotherapy improved the effectiveness of killing cancer cells by up to six times compared to existing treatment (from 10% mortality to 60% mortality of cancer cells).

The experiment showed that in addition to the ability to increase the effectiveness of existing treatments, it may be possible to achieve increased efficacy of killing breast cancer cells while significantly reducing chemotherapy doses, which is also expected to dramatically reduce side effects and provide healing for more patients who currently cannot undergo conventional treatment due to the side effects.

“This is a significant milestone in Cannabotech's growth to becoming a leader in integrative medicine," CEO Elchanan Shaked said. "The integrative products developed by Cannabotech are intended for use in combination with chemotherapy treatment in several cancers and are expected to be launched in Israel and the US in the second half of 2022, while the company's goal is to define a new standard for the medical cannabis industry."

Prof. Tami Peretz, a senior oncologist who worked on the study added, "A significant proportion of active cancer patients are currently treated with cannabis in parallel with conventional treatment. The integrative products
developed by Cannabotech are unique in that they are developed to standards similar to those of the pharmaceutical industry and combine several active agents.

"The company's products have demonstrated impressive and very promising activity in laboratory-tested cell cultures," she said. "Based on these experiments, there is room to start exploring the possibility of integrating the products in the treatment of breast cancer patients as well."

The treatment is slated to be commercialized in the second half of 2022.

Harvard Researchers Show Cannabis can Cut Tumor Growth In Half In Three Weeks

Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the most well-known psychoactive component in cannabis has been shown to cut tumor growth in common lung cancer in half. THC has also been shown to significantly reduce the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the notorious cannabinoid in both lab and mouse studies.

This particular study occurred in 2007 and remains one of the most comprehensive ever conducted on THC’s potential to combat tumors. Clinical trials involving human cancer patients have since been underway in Israel using full spectrum cannabis oil.

Full spectrum cannabis oil is made using unadulterated, natural cannabis. It includes THC, CBD, as well as many other cannabinoids and terpenoids. The terpenes found in cannabis are molecularly identical to those that are found in many essential oils and used in therapeutic aromatherapy. When all of these cannabinoids and terpenes work in unison it is called the entourage effect. While extracting a particular cannabinoid or terpene may have benefits on their own, scientists and anecdotes alike have noted the increased efficacy of full spectrum cannabis oil.

Bottom line: The cannabis plant in its natural form, without any compounds removed or added, appears to be the most beneficial for cancer patients.

The Harvard University researchers tested THC on cancer cells in labs, and then followed that up by studying mice subjects.

The lab demonstration found that doses of THC inhibited growth and spread in the cancer cells; “When the cells are pretreated with THC, they have less EGFR stimulated invasion as measured by various in-vitro assays,” states Anju Preet, PhD, who was one of the researchers for the study.

Following the lab test, researchers dosed mice – which were implanted with human lung cancer cells – with THC, and found that in just three weeks, tumors were reduced in both size and weight by roughly 50% compared to a control group. According to Preet, cancer lesions on the lungs were also reduced – by nearly 60% – and there was as a significant reduction in “protein markers” associated with cancer progression.

Researchers predict that THC had such a positive effect on combating tumors because it activates molecules that arrest the cell cycle, and may also interfere with the processes of angiogenesis and vascularization, which lead to cancer growth.

We’ve only scratched the surface of research on cannabis as a therapy for cancer patients. Unfortunately the United States controlled substance act still lists cannabis as a schedule I drug which makes research in the States difficult. Despite this inconvenience there are still many studies calling for clinical trials and additional research on cannabis for cancer. You can freely access over 100 of those studies here.

Sources: Sciencedaily.com, analyticalcannabis.com, realfarmacy.com, realfarmacy.com

Well... I know cannabis keeps me off opioids. So this makes total sense. About time the 'powers that be' admitted it.

Medical Marijuana Legalization Linked To Reduced Opioid Use By Cancer Patients, American Medical Association Study Finds

State-level medical marijuana legalization is associated with a significant decrease in opioid prescriptions and use among certain cancer patients, according to a new study from the American Medical Association.

The study, which analyzed data on insurance claims from 38,189 people with recently diagnosed cancer, found that medical cannabis legalization implemented between 2012 and 2017 was linked to “5.5 percent to 19.2 percent relative reduction in the rate of opioid dispensing.”

“Medical marijuana could be serving as a substitute for opioid therapies among some adult patients receiving cancer treatment,” the study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Oncology on Thursday, concluded, though researchers said “future studies need to elucidate the nature of the associations and implications for patient outcomes.”

“The findings suggest that medical marijuana legalization may have been associated with lower use of opioids by some adult patients receiving cancer treatment”
A total of 34 states were included in the cross-sectional analysis, and researchers at Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Harvard University, University of Texas and Albert Einstein College of Medicine also examined how the prevalence of dispensaries further affected opioid prescribing.

They found that “in general, medical marijuana legalization with dispensary allowances was associated with a larger reduction in the rate of 1 or more opioid days,” particularly for those with recent breast cancer diagnoses.

“Medical marijuana legalization with dispensary allowances was associated with a larger reduction in opioid dispensing compared with legalization without dispensary allowances.”
The study also found that medical cannabis legalization was associated in a reduction “was associated with a reduction in pain-related hospital events (suggesting uncontrolled pain) among patients with lung cancer (and among patients with breast cancer to a lesser extent) with recent opioids, and such reductions were seen shortly after medical marijuana legalization took effect.”

The researchers speculated that “several mechanisms are possible” to explain the results.

“Legal access to medical marijuana may have led oncologists and other practitioners to prescribe fewer opioids,” they wrote. “Medical marijuana legalization may also have been associated with lower demand for opioids by patients who use marijuana when self-managing pain as well as by those who were reluctant to complain about pain when perceiving marijuana as an alternative to opioids.”

The study says that “the nature of the observed associations remains uncertain,” but there is a large body of research that indicates that cannabinoids can effectively treat different pain types that some patients will seek out as alternatives to opioids.

“The findings suggest that medical marijuana could be serving as a substitute for opioids to some extent,” it says.

The authors emphasized the study limitations and the need for future research on the subject, but this largely aligns with previous studies on state-level cannabis reform and prescription trends.

For example, a study that was released in September similarly found that giving people legal access to medical cannabis can help patients reduce their use of opioid painkillers, or cease use altogether, without compromising quality of life.

That same month, another study found that the pharmaceutical industry takes a serious economic hit after states legalize marijuana—with an average market loss of nearly $10 billion for drugmakers per each legalization event.

There’s no deficit of anecdotal reports, data-based studies and observational analyses that have signaled that some people use cannabis as an alternative to traditional pharmaceutical drugs like opioid-based painkillers and sleep medications.

Earlier this year, a research paper that analyzed Medicaid data on prescription drugs found that legalizing marijuana for adult use is associated with “significant reductions” in the use of prescription drugs for the treatment of multiple conditions.

Meanwhile, a study funded by a top federal drug agency that was released last month found that state-level marijuana legalization is not associated with increased youth cannabis use.

Keeps me off the tablets and hard pain killers too
Only had tablet opioids but don't need other pain killers with the weed
Has to be pretty bad before I reach for the pills these days
Most of the time even then I'd rather pop a ml of feco and knock out for the day that way

Has to be pretty bad before I reach for the pills these days
Most of the time even then I'd rather pop a ml of feco and knock out for the day that way
I'm right there with you. I have 3 pain pills left over from my last knee replacement 3 years ago. Every time I think about taking one I ask myself if I could be in more pain. And the answer is usually yes. So I do an edible and a couple dabs and that usually does the trick for me. But... there was a time that I wouldn't have had that control. I'm beyond glad that I finally kicked them and can think straight enough to realize that they don't really help in the long run. And create pain that wasn't there before when you try to stop taking them.

I had a doctor explain what a lot of the pain pills do. Most of them actually don't treat the pain. They treat the brain and make you think you aren't in pain or forget about it. I'd much rather stick with something natural for that if I possibly can. And while cannabis doesn't take the pain away... it also helps me forget about it.

Marijuana Helps Cancer Patients Think More Clearly And Manage Pain, Study Using Cannabis From Dispensaries Finds

marijuana-plants-15.jpg

Consistent marijuana use is associated with improved cognition and reduced pain among cancer patients and people receiving chemotherapy, according to a new study.
While cannabis produces intoxicating effects, and that initial “high” can temporarily impair cognition, patients who used marijuana products from state-licensed dispensaries over two weeks actually started reporting clearer thinking, the study from the University of Colorado found.

The findings of the study, published in the journal Exploration in Medicine late last month, were surprising, researcher Angela Bryan, a cancer survivor herself, said in a press release.
“We thought we might see some problems with cognitive function,” she said. “But people actually felt like they were thinking more clearly. It was a surprise.”

Also, the 25 participants in the study said that they were sleeping better and experienced lower amounts of pain associated with their cancer symptoms or chemotherapy side effects.
The study is notable for another reason: patients took a diversity of edible cannabis products that they individually picked out at Colorado dispensaries. That included infused tinctures, baked goods, gummies and other cannabis edibles with varying cannabinoid profiles.

Because marijuana remains federally prohibited, the majority of studies that take place in the U.S. rely on either pharmaceutical-grade cannabis medicines like dronabinol or standardized marijuana grown at a federally authorized source, which tends to be low-THC and lacking in other cannabinoids.
Bipartisan congressional lawmakers have pushed to free up researchers to access cannabis from dispensaries—and top federal officials have supported giving scientists that option. But that practice for now remains prohibited, meaning that studies like the current one involve patients buying their own cannabis and then reporting back to researchers, instead of having scientists themselves choose the dispensary products they’d like to study and providing them to participants.

What this study suggests is that there are benefits to examining the effects of marijuana that’s available in a growing number of state markets. The overall takeaway was that cannabis has significant therapeutic potential for cancer patients; but it also offered insights into how different products produce different effects.
For example, the researchers found that patients who took edibles with higher CBD concentrations reported lower pain levels compared to those who consumed high-THC products.
Bryan said that “people are open to trying whatever they think might be useful, but there’s just not much data out there to guide them on what works best for what.”

For the study, patients were asked to buy the marijuana edibles from dispensaries. Then researchers would drive to each subject’s home in a mobile laboratory van (nicknamed the “cannavan”) to carry out physical and cognitive tests before and after the person consumed the cannabis.
“Two weeks of ad libitum cannabis use was associated with improvements in pain intensity and interference, sleep quality and subjective cognitive functioning.”
Pain levels dropped within an hour of use, but patients said they felt the intoxicating high that impaired cognition. That acute effect was eventually supplanted by mental clarity over time, the researchers observed during two-week follow-ups. Objective measures of cognition, such as reaction time, also improved after long-term use.
“This observational study is among the first of its kind to examine associations between legal market, palliative cannabis use, and subjective and objective outcomes among cancer patients,” the study says. “These early findings concerning pain intensity, sleep quality, and cognitive function can help to inform future, fully powered studies of this important topic.”

Gregory Giordano, one of the study authors, said that oncologists and patients are “concerned about the possible negative impact of cancer treatment on cognitive function, so the potential, indirect role of cannabis use on improving subjective cognitive function should be studied further.”
Last year, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) promoted funding opportunities for researchers to study the benefits and risks of marijuana for cancer patients.
The pain-relieving qualities of cannabis are a subject of intense interest, especially amid an opioid epidemic that has raised questions about the long-term risks of opioid use.
To that end, numerous studies have linked cannabis legalization and self-reported marijuana use to reduced opioid prescribing and overdose deaths.
A study published earlier this year by the American Medical Association (AMA) found that chronic pain patients who received medical cannabis for longer than a month saw significant reductions in prescribed opioids.

AMA also published research late last year that connected state cannabis legalization with reduced opioid prescribing for certain cancer patients.
State-level marijuana legalization is also associated with notable reductions in prescribing of the specific opioid codeine, according to another recent study that leverages data from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

Mod note: Post edited to add title and link to original article and to remove ad links.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back