Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Clones or seeds

Basement Farmer

I've done both. It's rewarding to do it from scratch but I'm not sure it's worth it strictly in terms of economics and labor.

The one year I got fed up and just bought clones I was a lot less stressed out over germination and feminization rates. Plus I was months ahead on terms of getting my daughters (and grand daughters) cut and rooted.....

What are your guyses thoughts on the matter?

If I had access to clones I would not bother with a mumma plant and clones, lots of power and work to keep a mumma going all year.

I've only used clones once from cuttings I made from a friend's plant. It went well but I don't have access here to clones anymore. I order my seeds online and they remain viable for a few years. I store my seeds in a cool dark place. I grow outdoors so I have one harvest a year.

I have collected the pollen from male flowers before they were pulled and would like to try my hand sometime at creating my own hybrid.

Last edited:
Have only used seeds - can't keep a plant growing year round. Isn't the main consideration that with clones, you know which traits to expect? Seeds can have a lot of variation, even from the same breeder and strain, IME. Shouldn't be the case, but it usually is.

Would love to clone the Sweet Afghani Delicious fast F1 hybrid. All-time favorite plant. Still have two or three seeds. Also considering a Hindu Kush seed run next season. Hoping it's a true-breeding strain.

Have only used seeds - can't keep a plant growing year round. Isn't the main consideration that with clones, you know which traits to expect? Seeds can have a lot of variation, even from the same breeder and strain, IME. Shouldn't be the case, but it usually is.

Would love to clone the Sweet Afghani Delicious fast F1 hybrid. All-time favorite plant. Still have two or three seeds. Also considering a Hindu Kush seed run next season. Hoping it's a true-breeding strain.

You could create fem seeds if you desired. There are sprays you can use on selected buds or stems.

I'm flowering two plants from fem seeds a friend made. It's a plant line I lost a while back.

So far they look just like my old plant. It's a super silver haze x bubba kush. Unique menthal taste I miss. Excellent rosin as well.

I have a SSH line but they're different enough to grow both.

Last edited:
So far they look just like my old plant. It's a super silver haze x bubba kush.

Looked into feminizing seeds and will probably try it. For those who don't know, you force a female plant to produce some male flowers and collect pollen from those to do a self-cross that produces all female seeds.

You would NOT want to produce seeds, regular or feminized, from a hybrid. Even assuming the parents were true-breeding, in @Shredder's case, 1/2 of the seeds will be the desired super silver haze x bubba kush, 1/4 will be super silver haze, and 1/4 will be bubba kush. For the SAD fast F1 hybrid, 1/4 of the seeds will be autoflowering and 1/4 will be photo without the fast growing ruderalis trait.

I've used both, but as an outdoor grower I think I will stick to seeds. It's too much to try and get a clone that's been under 24 hour lights to adjust to outside. I love going to the dispensary and picking out clones, and knowing what nursery they come from, and how they are likely to turn out, but the light is too much of a problem. Having said that, a nursery I like might be carrying autoflower clones, and I might try that.
I don't mind seeds, but I am not a breeder, so males break my heart. They seem to end up in great spots, then there is a sad gap after I pull them. Maybe a gap an autoflower can fill. Feminized seeds help here, of course. I've had a few experiences with seed banks that concern me, so I'm a bit paranoid.

... there is a sad gap after I pull them. Maybe a gap an autoflower can fill.

Definitely, you might be able to get more than one auto crop. A fast F1 hybrid might also "catch up" to the regular plants. The SAD's vegetative growth was impressive. (Worth growing out for the novelty alone.) You could keep some feminized, fast seeds on hand.

Do you plant seeds directly in the ground outdoors? Can you sex them early before transplanting?

I'm in an illegal country, so the risk is too great for me to grow myself....but I do love gardening vegies, herbs, flowers and trees.
If strong, well grown clones were readily available aka female seedlings, that would be an awesome time saving option.

Although, if the variety I want isn't available in a nursery, there is normally a seed catalog with the one I need.
Of course seed works out cheaper, but with a high value crop like cannabis, the cost of a seedling/clone isn't too big a deal.

Super, super, super excited. On New Year's eve, Twenty20 Mendocino was giving away seeds to the first few hundred people to ask. The request was that we "pay it forward" with kindness in 2020. I agonized over regular or feminized seeds, then went with feminized Mimosa Island, Mimosa x ( Mendo Breath x Banana Kush). My 3 seeds came, and I am giddy with joy. There are dreams in these seeds, and I see glorious plants stretching across an idyllic Summer. Sure, sure, gardens don't work that way, and there is work involved, but I'm in the falling in love stage. Right now, I'm starting to care in my heart, so I can later care in the yard.
Hopefully, all of this love will inspire kindness. That also seemed possible on that night of resolution and good intentions.

I am in a non legal place too, my last seed order cost me $400 worth of scammed credit card and no seeds...fuck it.

Damn! Stupid f#×king prohibition.

Super, super, super excited. On New Year's eve, Twenty20 Mendocino was giving away seeds to the first few hundred people to ask. The request was that we "pay it forward" with kindness in 2020. I agonized over regular or feminized seeds, then went with feminized Mimosa Island, Mimosa x ( Mendo Breath x Banana Kush). My 3 seeds came, and I am giddy with joy. There are dreams in these seeds, and I see glorious plants stretching across an idyllic Summer. Sure, sure, gardens don't work that way, and there is work involved, but I'm in the falling in love stage. Right now, I'm starting to care in my heart, so I can later care in the yard.
Hopefully, all of this love will inspire kindness. That also seemed possible on that night of resolution and good intentions.

I love the potential and excitement of a new growing season. Spring fever.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back