Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Considering growing cannabis or hemp outside. Tips and where to get seeds

treesaver

Hello,

I am thinking about growing weed outside. I live in the PNW, zone 8b I think. I didn't know it was possible out here or what the results would be, but a friend of mine is growing plants in his garden just fine. I know he can provide me with some tips, but I wanted to grab as much knowledge as possible to digest.
I have been gravitating toward CBD heavy strains due to various reasons. I am even considering growing hemp just for the CBD. Buying hemp shake would be the alternative. Not sure what would happened if I grew them both. I grow herbs and some foods, but I have very little knowledge of cannabis growing and pollination.

I started looking for seeds, but ran into the issue of most places selling wholesale, since most hemp seed suppliers are for folks who are growing acre fulls of the stuff for market production. As for cannabis seeds, last time I heard anyone talk about where to get them was twenty years ago and they were reading the "High Times". So, where is a reliable place to buy seeds online for either?

What are the most important considerations that are particular to this plant once I get them sprouted?

Thanks.

Most of our members that grow are indoor growers.... I know @MikeyRipz grows outside... maybe he can chime in.

One thing I do know is that you should not grow hemp and cannabis together. They should be kept separate. That was one thing folks that grow outside were a bit worried about when hemp became legal; the hemp plants pollenating their cannabis.

As far as seeds go... you might have better luck posting that question in this thread. It might also have a source in it for you.

Welcome aboard!

And while I cant offer any knowledge of growing hemp or CBD. I would research strains that are high in cbd find one that sounds appealing to you and find a seed company on the west coast or the emerald trialnge that has what your looking for. Also your local grow store can be very helpful and very knowledgeable. And may be able to find you clones?

Personally not a fan of the hemp grows every year my outdoor has beans.

Decided to try sprouting a couple of seeds this time around. One of them popped up within three days! Now I am looking at what soil to get. Since I am growing outside, I am wondering if I should be getting enriched topsoil or compost or potting soil? From what I am learning so far, compost might be the best thing? I will be amending the soil in the yard and mixing it with whatever soil I get. Thoughts? Suggestions? Any help appreciated.

Decided to try sprouting a couple of seeds this time around. One of them popped up within three days! Now I am looking at what soil to get. Since I am growing outside, I am wondering if I should be getting enriched topsoil or compost or potting soil? From what I am learning so far, compost might be the best thing? I will be amending the soil in the yard and mixing it with whatever soil I get. Thoughts? Suggestions? Any help appreciated.
Get a bag of Jacks professional fertilizer 20-20-20 mix at 1\2 tsp. Per gallon water.
Get a bale of sunshine mix4 for soil and you will have zero problems regards ferts or medium........do not adjust ph.

One of the seeds popped up within a few days. The seed casing was still on the leaves and the light I had on was only on for four hours a day, so it shot up quick and has a long stem. I carefully removed the seed casing from the top. Now the light has been on for 8 hours a day and the leaves seem to be growing slowly but surely. The stem is leaning on the side of the container. Is there anything I need to do for it at this time?

weed.jpg

One of the seeds popped up within a few days. The seed casing was still on the leaves and the light I had on was only on for four hours a day, so it shot up quick and has a long stem. I carefully removed the seed casing from the top. Now the light has been on for 8 hours a day and the leaves seem to be growing slowly but surely. The stem is leaning on the side of the container. Is there anything I need to do for it at this time?

View attachment 25825
I'd have the light on 12-18 hours min... what kind of light? Make sure it's as close as you can get to it without harming/burning it.... it already looks a little "leggy" to me... maybe in a little bit introduce a gentle oscillating fan, too, to help stiffen it up to prepare it for the wind outside...?

Edit: calling dr @arb, dr @LesPlenty!

I run 24/7 on in veg and that seedling is light starved as indicated by the stretch.
Yeah id get a fan on it so it grows some girth... and get a light right on it...
Sometimes the ones with the worst starts make the best plants...

The best advice I can give is to have fun and enjoy every stage of growth. Take each mistake as a learning tool and not let it frustrate you. Youre going to get everything thrown to man kind out in the wild so watch out for pests constantly. I ran into just about any kind of pest on my only outdoor grow, I gained mad respect for those that do outdoors as well. The pests taught me a lot about prepping my grows before hand to not invite the pests, it also taught me how to get rid of them safely and fast. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back