Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
@momofthegoons u beat me to that one lol,
Curious for all who are cautious when food shopping, what is you're sanitizing protocol with groceries? How are u washing produce etc.. Genuinely curious.
I'm following the procedure in the video now as well. For fruit and veggies, I wash or soak in vinegar and water, then rinse thoroughly. Cooking will kill any pathogens so right now I'm not eating anything raw. No salads. No berries in cream. No veggies and dip.
The other day my neighbour dropped off a dozen eggs from her chickens. She put the carton on my porch and let me know how everything had been handled. I wiped down the Styrofoam carton, washed my hands, transferred the eggs into an old cardboard carton and put them in the fridge. The carton they came in was discarded and then I washed my hand again. The eggs will be washed before using.

@Siebter, yep unfortunately many more US cities are going to explode with CV cases next week.
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany rose to 52,547 on Sunday, with 389 fatalities.
NYC Belvue Hospital are setting up Refrigerated trucks and tents to cope with rising death toll.
Things will b better eventually, we humans are resilient:nod:

@Squiby, took me over an hour to sanitize groceries and counters this AM lol. U know back when I attended Culinary school in the 90's our first class was how to deal with food borne pathogens, cross contamination, and how to properly sanitize work stations, this however is on another level my fargin skin is peeling off my hands from washing.

Reusable grocery bags concern me. They get wiped down on the porch with a Clorox wipes, but I also toss them in the washing machine after they are emptied. It seems pointless, as I'm already sick, but I still want to minimize germs. Don't need to recatch or catch something else.
One thing that concerns me is why isn't soap selling out? Hand sanitizer can't be found. How is it we have more than enough soap when the recommendation is wash with soap and water?

Last edited:
my fargin skin is peeling off my hands from washing.
I'm moisturizing my hands after washing with either coconut oil or a commercial cream moisturizer and that seems to be protecting my hands somewhat. I have reduced significantly what and when I choose to bring stuff in the house. For example a parcel was delivered on Friday. I just let it sit outside on the porch waiting for any virus particles to deteriorate. I'll open it and bring the contents in today.
Reusable grocery bags concern me.
We are using paper bags here. The bags then are put aside and either reused later or used as tinder in the wood stove. The virus doesn't stay viable on paper and cardboard as long as plastic apparently.
One thing that concerns me is why isn't soap selling out? Hand sanitizer can't be found
It's a mystery. I'm only using hand sanitizer when I'm out. I keep a bottle in the car. The rest of the time it's good old soap and water for me. But I have noticed that the younger generation seems to prefer pumping a gob of sanitizer on their hands versus just washing them. Maybe it's a generational thing. Soap and water is better and less harsh on your hands but you need access to soap, water and a towel for that operation.

We set up a table in our garage as a cleaning area. Anything coming into the house gets cleaned/sanitized first. The reusable grocery bags got sprayed with a bleach solution when empty and left in the garage to dry.

Ive been cleaning door knobs as well. Never know about delivery folks coming and going, so we sanitize everything.

One thing that concerns me is why isn't soap selling out? Hand sanitizer can't be found. How is it we have more than enough soap when the recommendation is wash with soap and water?
Panic hoarding. I know some worryworts who used hand sanitizer excessively before the pandemic. When other natural disasters have occurred people would hoard TP. It's a sort of a stress index. My supermarket has put limits on things like TP, meats, peanut butter, frozen vegetables.
I'm peeved that I can't get a thermometer anywhere in town or online. Unless it is shipped internationally. Can't even tell my doctor if I have a fever. N95 or equivalent masks are non existent. I've seen several Asian students wear mask for years where I live beforehand. Now I see more older folks wearing them outside.
Had to settle for a handkerchief with coffee filters tucked inside last time I went to a hardware store. And used hand sanitizer once I got packed up and outside.
We are using paper bags here. The bags then are put aside and either reused later or used as tinder in the wood stove. The virus doesn't stay viable on paper and cardboard as long as plastic apparently.
Yea and paper is porous. I'll pay the 5 cents and perhaps spray the outside with a disinfectant when home. After I wipe off any germs from the food packaging. It is placed on a cardboard box that has been sprayed with disinfectant. Still trying to come up with a better system tho.

Last edited:
Save the N95 masks for healthcare professionals. You really don't want yourself or a loved one treated by a doctor or nurse with no gloves or masks. It's really bad here, but I imagine it is everywhere. There aren't enough basic supplies, much less ventilators. The Federal government sent California 170 broken ventilators yesterday. Governor Newsom sent them to Silicon Valley to be repaired, and you know they will do it right. Santa Clara County ( Silicon Valley) has been particularly hard hit. They need those ventilators, and 40,000 + more.
I'm getting better. My lungs are getting better, but I still have the wicked combo of bronchitis and pleurisy. The fever is gone, and I don't feel as sick. Coughing now controlled by medication. O2 sat better.
Going stir crazy.

Save the N95 masks for healthcare professionals.
How very true.:nod: The professionals are on the front lines of this pandemic. And these masks are meant to be disposable. Which means the pros need to go through several in a single day to deal with a days worth of exposure. The plain paper medical masks are to help the patient from getting whatever the pros are exhaling and less with protecting the Health care workers. Most regular folks reuse the masks they own which wouldn't be good in a medical environment. And there isn't a recommended way to clean what was designed to be a disposable item. Wearing any face cover is better than nothing. Using what the doctors use to go to the groceries store isn't really the best approach and even less with the incorrect method. There is very few studies about face masks and having an everyday mask to use.

The real big concern is touching a surface and then touching your face from what I've read. I think of a mask as a 'cone of shame' that you would put on your dog. If you wear any cover over your face, then you are less likely to exhale/inhale germs freely and filter out the bulk of it. Anything that blocks the micron size of these pathogens is a plus and better then nothing at all. Even a folded bandanna is helpful.
The 'cone of shame' prevents me from touching or scratching my face. Which is a huge habit I need to break from. Touching a surface then your face is how most indirect spreading occurs. KIM I am just a mouth breather of all this information myself and rely on outside sources to keep informed. :ugh: We all are on the learning curve as to what to do in public.

I'm getting better. My lungs are getting better, but I still have the wicked combo of bronchitis and pleurisy. The fever is gone, and I don't feel as sick. Coughing now controlled by medication. O2 sat better.
Going stir crazy.
So glad to hear that you are on the mend. :wink: And well enough to keep us all company as we self-isolate together. :hug:

Last edited:
I don't know what is the best procedure for groceries. I'm hoping not to have to go for a long time as we stocked up.

The last trip we decided to just let dry goods sit in the 40F garage for 3 days before touching anything. We figured that would take care of most of those little fuckers. The bananas didn't like that. They're gonna be banana bread. Milk and frozen stuff we put in the old fridge downstairs. It's become our quarantine fridge. I dare Mr. Corona to survive the fridge for a week.

We did try to wipe some stuff down with disinfectant, but you'll never get very part of every little thing.

I don't know what is the best procedure for groceries
There is quite a lot of conflicting information out there. The numbers are all over the place but have a range. I've read or heard that cardboard can only harbour the virus for a couple hours, others report up to 72 hours. It lasts longer on plastic, but again a range. It may be a mish-mash of known general virus behaviour and the corona virus which seems to have several unique characteristics that extends its range or viability.

I feel like I'm trapped in an intelligence test against the virus, trying to plan and execute a strategy to defeat this scurge that's descended upon us. There's a whole bunch more Do's and Do Not's in my life now.

I wonder how many of us are going to end up with OCD over this. PTSD induced OCD.
I don't even know why I'm cleaning anything. I'm already sick. Can I catch it more? Will it mutate on the take out container? What if the dog catches it, attacks me in my sleep, and chews my face off? Would I be able to get a face transplant?

I wonder how many of us are going to end up with OCD over this. PTSD induced OCD.
Yea, I don't want my OCD to mutate either. :nut: I used to graze on my groceries as I walked home. Now I feel like I should shop in a hazmat suit. :uhoh:
There is a sensible middle ground of prevention and not letting the germs procreate in my home space. And letting those that did enter to die off on their own.
I feel like I'm trapped in an intelligence test against the virus, trying to plan and execute a strategy to defeat this scurge that's descended upon us. There's a whole bunch more Do's and Do Not's in my life now.
Feel that. Still trying to come up with a method of bringing groceries home that is more of a no-brainer. The big thing is preventing the invisible enemy in my homespace. Problem is most of the disinfectant tools I need are sold out. :BangHead: And the CDC really needs to put out even more information as to what cleaners and methods work. If more people were less careless, I wouldn't be as worried and take all these precautions. :twocents:

Isolated a month. Have seen M-G. Have seen two delivery people through the door. Had glimpse of neighbor and guests in his yard. Have spoken to medical people over the phone. Got sick, then socially got dropped for dead. Not sure I didn't disappoint people there.
I have never struggled with breathing so much, and felt that so little could be done. That it's less safe at the hospital. That it doesn't matter. Friends have become aquantances, then irrelevant. Let's see how month two goes, shall we?

Careful - sounds like the road to bachelorhood.:wink:
Oh, I've been a bachelor for awhile. Or the more glamorous Bachelorette. Or the less glamorous Spinster.
If it turns out you acquire immunity after Covid-19, I would be able to volunteer. That would be great. I'd like to help.
I am clearly at the fussy point of recovering. That is a very good sign. It might explain my low stockpile of friends, but it also means I'm doing more than trying to keep my airways open. Bitching and breathing! Progress!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back