Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does everyone feel sad watching the news, everything we should do to try and get above covid but we keep seeing less than smart peple doin crazy shit...:cry:

Last edited:
1596195160143.png

Is it just me or does everyone feel sad watching the news, everything we should do to try and get above covid but we keep seeing kess than smart peple doin crazy shit...:cry:
So many smart dumb ppl of all walks of life doing so many stupid things for so many different reasons
The world has saddened me for a long time prior to covid
The current situation just highlights these behaviours and issues among us all
Unfortunately a case of natural selection in play that affects all of us and not just those that are ignorant and self absorbed across many many instances world wide

Some of us will cope and survive this, others will not, none of us should have to be suffering because of others stubbornness
History and current behaviour shows us this is not how hoomans evaluate situations, others and existence generally though

Last edited:
Fucks sake, that movie is way older than me!...still good

In the last couple weeks, I've noticed that posts have become more and more political...

While it is almost impossible to post about COVID without mentioning government intervention or policy... Please do not post personal opinion on individual politicians....and keep it to the facts.

Is it just me or does everyone feel sad watching the news, everything we should do to try and get above covid but we keep seeing less than smart peple doin crazy shit...:cry:

More anxious than sad. In the US, economic hardship is expected to worsen dramatically as federal unemployment and housing relief expire today. We were so sure that the pandemic would be under control by now. Needless to say, there's no plan for what comes next. Buckle up!

LONDON - People who get most of their news from social media like Facebook and YouTube are much more likely to believe conspiracy theories about the coronavirus pandemic, according to research from Kings College London.

The report also suggests those reliant on social media for news are much more likely to ignore government messaging on staying safe during the pandemic and more likely to disobey lockdown rules.

The research was published earlier this month in the journal Psychological Medicine.

Researchers from Kings College London and polling company Ipsos MORI looked at a range of conspiracy theories surrounding the pandemic.

“We defined conspiracy theories as explanations of the COVID-19 pandemic which suggest that it was intentional, so either that the virus was created artificially or that the virus is not as dangerous as people think and something else is being used to deliberately cause what most of us believe to be the symptoms of the virus, or the idea that maybe there isn’t a problem at all,” said Daniel Allington, lead author of the report, in a June 24 Skype interview with VOA. COVID-19 is the disease caused by the coronavirus.

A 5G logo is displayed on a screen outside the showroom at Huawei campus in Shenzhen city, China
A 5G logo is displayed on a screen outside the showroom at Huawei campus in Shenzhen city, China's Guangdong province.
One prominent conspiracy theory is that 5G mobile technology is causing the disease. In recent weeks, dozens of 5G mobile telecom towers have been destroyed across Britain. Police say a belief that the masts are causing the respiratory ailment appears to have motivated many of the attacks.

The researchers questioned 2,254 British residents. Overall, 8 percent believed that 5G technology was causing the pandemic. Of those people, 60 percent said they got their information from YouTube. Out of the 92 percent of people who don’t believe the 5G conspiracy theory, only 14 percent said their information came from YouTube.

Among people who believe the coronavirus does not exist at all, some 56 percent cited Facebook as their primary source of news. Allington says the most disturbing finding has been the readiness among those who believe in conspiracy theories about the disease to break quarantine and lockdown rules.

“We found that people who had gone out, gone outside or gone to work despite having what they knew were possible coronavirus symptoms were much more likely to be getting their information from social media,” Allington told VOA.

That presents a health risk that must be addressed, says British lawmaker Damian Collins, co-founder of the group ‘Infotagion’ which aims to fight misinformation about the pandemic.

Twatter, faceyspace, snap crackle pop etc.. very toxic and homogenized platforms, and not just for conspiracy crowd, it's an echo chamber of reestablished beliefs where anyone with a different opinion particularly center of left gets Shredded. In our Apolitical household we have no use for it.

More on the coronavirus' natural origins. And the real danger of conspiracy theories - chasing red herrings when we need to act on the science now to prevent future pandemics.

Published: 28 July 2020
Evolutionary origins of the SARS-CoV-2 sarbecovirus lineage responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic
Maciej F. Boni, Philippe Lemey, Xiaowei Jiang, Tommy Tsan-Yuk Lam, Blair W. Perry, Todd A. Castoe, Andrew Rambaut & David L. Robertson
Nature Microbiology (2020)

We find that the sarbecoviruses—the viral subgenus containing SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2—undergo frequent recombination and exhibit spatially structured genetic diversity on a regional scale in China. SARS-CoV-2 itself is not a recombinant of any sarbecoviruses detected to date, and its receptor-binding motif, important for specificity to human ACE2 receptors, appears to be an ancestral trait shared with bat viruses and not one acquired recently via recombination. To employ phylogenetic dating methods, recombinant regions of a 68-genome sarbecovirus alignment were removed with three independent methods. Bayesian evolutionary rate and divergence date estimates were shown to be consistent for these three approaches and for two different prior specifications of evolutionary rates based on HCoV-OC43 and MERS-CoV. Divergence dates between SARS-CoV-2 and the bat sarbecovirus reservoir were estimated as 1948 (95% highest posterior density (HPD): 1879–1999), 1969 (95% HPD: 1930–2000) and 1982 (95% HPD: 1948–2009), indicating that the lineage giving rise to SARS-CoV-2 has been circulating unnoticed in bats for decades...

It is clear from our analysis that viruses closely related to SARS-CoV-2 have been circulating in horseshoe bats for many decades. The unsampled diversity descended from the SARS-CoV-2/RaTG13 common ancestor forms a clade of bat sarbecoviruses with generalist properties—with respect to their ability to infect a range of mammalian cells—that facilitated its jump to humans and may do so again... The existing diversity and dynamic process of recombination amongst lineages in the bat reservoir demonstrate how difficult it will be to identify viruses with potential to cause major human outbreaks before they emerge. This underscores the need for a global network of real-time human disease surveillance systems, such as that which identified the unusual cluster of pneumonia in Wuhan in December 2019, with the capacity to rapidly deploy genomic tools and functional studies for pathogen identification and characterization.

Last edited:
The new Govnmt of Canada Covid Alert phone app went live yesterday. It's not available everywhere yet but it is in my province. I downloaded it. If my phone is in proximity to someone who has tested positive over a two-week period, I'll receive a text so I can self isolate and prevent any potential further spread.

COVIDSafe has been downloaded by millions, but yet to identify contacts (and authorities say that's a good thing)
This has been live in Oz for a while, I did not bother to download it as I never have the Bluetooth on my phone turned on and rarely leave the house to boot.
Another reason I did not download it is that the Oz gov is using Google servers to keep the info. I am far from a conspiracy type of person but FUCK Google.

COVIDSafe has been downloaded by millions, but yet to identify contacts (and authorities say that's a good thing)
This has been live in Oz for a while, I did not bother to download it as I never have the Bluetooth on my phone turned on and rarely leave the house to boot.
Another reason I did not download it is that the Oz gov is using Google servers to keep the info. I am far from a conspiracy type of person but FUCK Google.
Yea I don't trust Google or our gov and their spying and keeping our meta data for 7 years

I didn't get the app either for these reasons
But I also stay home mostly and don't do selfish stupid things because I am deluded that my contacts are safer than everyone else's

We wouldn't need the app if people just stayed the fug away from each other and didn't go out unless necessary

Again
I defer to NZ and how they dealt with this and their current lack of new cases for a good while now

The sheep shaggers have shown the world how it's done so far

I see how the app may be useful esp with idiots out there
But I choose sensible behaviour and my privacy

I see how the app may be useful esp with idiots out there
But I choose sensible behaviour and my privacy
I'm in an isolated rural location and rarely go off the property. I grow most of my food so groceries is only an occasional activity and I get contact free curbside delivery. I don't tend to go into stores, but I wear a mask and keep my distance from others when I do. Since March, most of my human contact has become virtual; through Zoom, phone calls, texts etc.That said, I'm solidly in the high risk category so I'm hedging my bets by taking every single precaution available to me. I would want to know if I've come in contact with someone who's been infected not only for myself but so that I can isolate and stop myself from spreading it to others. To me, that is the key. There is still so much that is unknown about this virus, it's long and short term effects and transmission patterns. I'm just not taking any chances but everyone has to determine their own risk tolerance and make the decision that they are comfortable with.

I'm just not taking any chances but everyone has to determine their own risk tolerance and make the decision that they are comfortable with.

Certainly true - from the perspective of concern over being infected yourself. But it implies that if someone has a high risk tolerance, then it's acceptable for them to disregard protective measures, particularly if they're unconcerned with infecting others or with the broader societal effects of an uncontrolled pandemic. No one should reasonably be in this category, but not everyone is reasonable (there are fewer every day). That's why we need trusted leadership to tell people what to do and get them to do it, whether or not they perceive it as being in their own interest. A precarious balance, but in genuine emergencies, it's what's required. When we vote, we need to ask ourselves which candidate we would trust to prioritize the common interest, even over our own.

Have we learned our lesson, yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back