Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Cultivation Q and A

Kellya86

Herb Gardener.....
First of all, thanks @momofthegoons for finally allowing this sort of discussion here... Been a long time coming...
It's not always pleasent over on specific grow forums.. we are all respectable here, so this should work very well...

Iv spent the last few years tutoring people from here and previouly fc, and people in the real world, to produce there own, reliable, safe, high quality product..
All done through pm or WhatsApp, with much success...

So here is a thread for people to ask questions or learn from scratch.. I'm happy to help, as I'm sure others will be...
It gives me great pleasure to set people up.

Cannabis should be high quality and free to all... let's make it happen...

Last edited:
First of all, thanks @momofthegoons for finally allowing this sort of discussion here... Been a long time coming...
It's not always pleasent over on specific grow forums.. we are all respectable here, so this should work very well...

Iv spent the last few years tutoring people from here and previouly fc, and people in the real world, to produce there own, reliable, safe, high quality product..
All done through pm or WhatsApp, with much success...

So here is a thread for people to ask questions or learn from scratch.. I'm happy to help, as I'm sure others will be...
It gives me great pleasure to set people up.

Cannabis should be high quality and free to all... let's make it happen...
Hi Kelly - great topic. My state's med program does not allow home grow yet....but just wait, there will be hue and cry about cost to low income patients (really a valid point, IMO) and we will see home grow.

So here is my first stupid question....when they say "Flowering Time: 9 to 10 weeks", does that mean it starts to flower after 9 weeks of veg (and I do understand changing lighting duration to push the plant into flowering) or that its in a flowering state for 9 weeks....that is, after it starts flowering you should let it continue for 9 weeks (and the 9 weeks is just an example).

Hi Kelly - great topic. My state's med program does not allow home grow yet....but just wait, there will be hue and cry about cost to low income patients (really a valid point, IMO) and we will see home grow.

So here is my first stupid question....when they say "Flowering Time: 9 to 10 weeks", does that mean it starts to flower after 9 weeks of veg (and I do understand changing lighting duration to push the plant into flowering) or that its in a flowering state for 9 weeks....that is, after it starts flowering you should let it continue for 9 weeks (and the 9 weeks is just an example).

Hi @Baron23, I hope you end up legal soon..
When stating flower times, 9-10 weeks refers to the time after changing the photoperiod from 18 - 6 to 12 - 12... meaning 12 hours on 12 hours off.. you also change the spectrum (measured in kelvin) from blue to red... but that a different subject..
So you can veg it out for your choice of time (within reason, and not auto flower), then flip the switch to 12/12 and change the bulb.. I use hps (high pressure sodium) for flower.. mh (metal halide) for veg..
Once you flip it, they dont do much for a week, so that is dead time that no one really tells you about.. then your flower time starts...
Hope this helps...

@Kellya86 so as to know your background, how do you grow? Indoor? Soil? Hydro? Organic? Soluble nuttrients ? It does make a difference, cause one style does not fit all.

Organic soil myself, 2000 watts over 8 plants in 15 gallon pots in a 9 X 4 scrog. Most of my inputs are homemade and or homegrown.

I agree one style certainly doesnt fit all... and with cultivation, there are many many ways to skin a cat...
Iv tried alot of methods over the years, but if settled on soil... yield is not important to me, and I find I can achieve far better terp profiles using soil... I also have absolutely terrible water where I am, so that influences things...
My current setup is geared towards stealth, im only running a digital 600watt over 3 or 4 plants.. in quite a small space..
But I yield an average of 15 to 20 oz from that... strain dependant of course...
I don't scrog, I lst (low stress training) them..
Scrog isnt suitable for my space really..
My plants need to be mobile...

I don't profess to be an expert, but I do pretty well with the knowledge i have, and after my trip to Colorado, I can say for sure that what I produce is just as good as the 30% thc top shelf dispensery goods...
Know nothing about outdoor grows...

Been on the fence about led for last few years... am close to giving it a go.. now the prices have become more reasonable...
Maybe next year...

Last edited:
Hi @Baron23, I hope you end up legal soon..
When stating flower times, 9-10 weeks refers to the time after changing the photoperiod from 18 - 6 to 12 - 12... meaning 12 hours on 12 hours off.. you also change the spectrum (measured in kelvin) from blue to red... but that a different subject..
So you can veg it out for your choice of time (within reason, and not auto flower), then flip the switch to 12/12 and change the bulb.. I use hps (high pressure sodium) for flower.. mh (metal halide) for veg..
Once you flip it, they dont do much for a week, so that is dead time that no one really tells you about.. then your flower time starts...
Hope this helps...
Yes, thank you...so you veg, then change lighting, THEN starts the 9-10 week type of period with the expectation that it takes that long for flowers to mature and be ready for harvest. It really takes that long for the flowers to mature, eh? Am I understanding this correctly?

I agree one style certainly doesnt fit all... and with cultivation, there are many many ways to skin a cat...
Iv tried alot of methods over the years, but if settled on soil... yield is not important to me, and I find I can achieve far better terp profiles using soil... I also have absolutely terrible water where I am, so that influences things...
My current setup is geared towards stealth, im only running a digital 600watt over 3 or 4 plants.. in quite a small space..
But I yield an average of 15 to 20 oz from that... strain dependant of course...
I don't scrog, I lst (low stress training) them..
Scrog isnt suitable for my space really..
My plants need to be mobile...

I don't profess to be an expert, but I do pretty well with the knowledge i have, and after my trip to Colorado, I can say for sure that what I produce is just as good as the 30% thc top shelf dispensery goods...
Know nothing about outdoor grows...

Been on the fence about led for last few years... am close to giving it a go.. now the prices have become more reasonable...
Maybe next year...

Hey, small grows rock!

At my last house I grew in a grow box, in a uninsulated, unheated garage. It was 35.75 " X 35.75" on the inside. I grew four plants in a scrog, with a dimable 600watt ballast. I fed with funnels attacthed to the walls and attached to 1 inch tubes that circled each plant in the 7 gallon pots. Reaching under the canopy to feed the back plants sucked hence the funnels.

My intake air came from a utility room and exhausted out the peak of my garage. I also used a small electric heater to grow all winter. I averaged 4 ounces per plant.

My current grow is upscaled from that. It's obviously bigger, but also easy to work on in a 10x12 room. The actual grow area has curtains made from panda film that I pull away to work with the plants. But the basics are the same as that old box that served me four years.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you...so you veg, then change lighting, THEN starts the 9-10 week type of period with the expectation that it takes that long for flowers to mature and be ready for harvest. It really takes that long for the flowers to mature, eh? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes it really does take that long im afraid.. a 4 month turnaround from seed is about right... but much faster if you have a mother plant and use cuttings..
Also once they are done, you then have 10-14 days dry time, followed by a few weeks of curing before it's usable. I cure for at least 3 months, as I'm not desperate for it.
I go from seed everytime at the moment as im trying to accumulate a library of classic strains...
Time flies though, and In the big picture, it's a very fast life cycle for a plant...
And at 260 an oz here, well worth the wait...

Hey, small grows rock!

At my last house I grew in a grow box, in a uninsulated, unheated garage. It was 35.75 " X 35.75" on the inside. I grew four plants in a scrog, with a dimable 600watt ballast. I fed with funnels attacthed to the walls and attached to 1 inch tubes that circled each plant in the 7 gallon pots. Reaching under the canopy to feed the back plants sucked hence the funnels.

My intake air came from a utility room and exhausted out the peak of my garage. I also used a small electric heater to grow all winter. I averaged 4 ounces per plant.

My current grow is upscaled from that. It's obviously bigger, but also easy to work on in a 10x12 room. The actual grow area has curtains made from panda film that I pull away to work with the plants. But the basics are the same as that old box that served me four years.

Considering I am currently using about 0.3 a week, maybe less, my setup is far more than adequate for my needs. It's nice to stockpile, and means I have plenty to play with (concentrates, edibles ect)....

My exhaust system vents into my chimney breast, straight up and out...
And my intake is force fed from outside...
I have humidifier/dehumidifier, fan controllers, and ac to keep my climate perfect... so the cold winters or hot summer days dont really affect me..
I put alot of effort into silencing my fans, they sell silencers now... but my setup is silent...
I think I enjoy growing cannabis just as much as I enjoy using it....

Last edited:
Yes it really does take that long im afraid.. a 4 month turnaround from seed is about right... but much faster if you have a mother plant and use cuttings..
Also once they are done, you then have 10-14 days dry time, followed by a few weeks of curing before it's usable. I cure for at least 3 months, as I'm not desperate for it.
I go from seed everytime at the moment as im trying to accumulate a library of classic strains...
Time flies though, and In the big picture, it's a very fast life cycle for a plant...
And at 260 an oz here, well worth the wait...

Considering I am currently using about 0.3 a week, maybe less, my setup is far more than adequate for my needs. It's nice to stockpile, and means I have plenty to play with (concentrates, edibles ect)....

My exhaust system vents into my chimney breast, straight up and out...
And my intake is force fed from outside...
I have humidifier/dehumidifier, fan controllers, and ac to keep my climate perfect... so the cold winters or hot summer days dont really affect me..
I put alot of effort into silencing my fans, they sell silencers now... but my setup is silent...
I think I enjoy growing cannabis just as much as I enjoy using it....

Silence is golden for home grows. I mounted my exhaust fans in a box filled with soft foam and installed a duct muffler. I used two exhaust fans inline with one on 24/7 to maintain a negative pressure to prevent smells from leaking out. I actually had many people walk by it without a clue.

Wow what good timing. We just had a little harvest this past weekend. I have a feeling I'm gonna like it here. I only started helping with growing a couple years ago when Nevada went "Medical legal" to help my brother with Epilepsy. So far we have only been growing indoor / Hydro using a mother plant and clones in a 5 x 10 tent. We’re no experts but we are learning as we go.

Here is one from this weekend
1.png

How do you go about trimming, what is your technique? Do you keep them full or thin them out, or maybe loly pop them?
A little Before and After.
Before
2.jpg

After
3.jpg

And some action shots
4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks @Kellya86 for starting this thread.
And A HUGE Thank You to @momofthegoons for letting us have an adult discussion here.

Last edited:
I can see we might need to 'weed' :razz: out topics and make threads of them, i.e. 'How Do You Trim.' I'd love for the Grow Room to be an easy place for a beginner to maneuver around and get the information they need to start a grow of their own.

I have ulterior motives lol. I'm losing my caregiver and am going to probably need to learn..... :biggrin:

Those are some great pics @VAPEHUNTER :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

I can see we might need to 'weed' :razz: out topics and make threads of them, i.e. 'How Do You Trim.' I'd love for the Grow Room to be an easy place for a beginner to maneuver around and get the information they need to start a grow of their own.

I have ulterior motives lol. I'm losing my caregiver and am going to probably need to learn..... :biggrin:

Those are some great pics @VAPEHUNTER :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

Definitely.
Maybe also threads for:

Closet / Stealth grow set-up -

Lighting -

Ventilation -

Soil grow -
- Super Soil

Hydroponics -
- nutrients

Growing techniques

Vertical -

SCROG (Screen Of Green) -

SOG (Sea of Green) -

With fruits and vegetables it easy to get a good viable seeds. With medicinal grows it can be much harder. Most seed banks are over seas and expensive.
As far as I know, it's legal to import or have seeds. The expense and dealing with companies that are in Europe, Asia, etc,.. and have minimal reviews can be as stressful as growing.

Where do you get good, viable seeds? Are there any seed banks in the US?

We still have yet to purchase seeds. Considered it but just haven’t done it yet. We started with a donation of two clones over two years ago. One strain died off from root rot during our first run. The other one is still going strong.
About a month ago a buddy of ours gave us a couple seeds he found in a sack of “Head Cheese” and another from some “Black Diamond”. So far both have sprouted and are growing. Still don’t know the sex or if they’re auto flower or not.
Here is a pic of the Head Cheese in the cloning room, he’s the little guy in the middle.

ECC2BDF6-0F06-44A8-904D-EE73F87043A5.jpeg
0B2C02E1-919A-4EBD-A45C-72875C704258.jpeg

How do you go about trimming, what is your technique? Do you keep them full or thin them out, or maybe loly pop them?

I like a tidy bush....
So i trim all sugar leaf off completely during harvest.. once they dry out i fimd it harder to remove them... but some people like a more rustic looking nug...
Also the more frosty sugar leaf i remove, the more concentrate i end up with....
Iv have very good results using good trim..
During harvest i keep the good trim seperate from the less frosty bits... the lesser product goes in a jar for edibles...

With fruits and vegetables it easy to get a good viable seeds. With medicinal grows it can be much harder. Most seed banks are over seas and expensive.
As far as I know, it's legal to import or have seeds. The expense and dealing with companies that are in Europe, Asia, etc,.. and have minimal reviews can be as stressful as growing.

Where do you get good, viable seeds? Are there any seed banks in the US?

Im afraid i cant help here... sorry...

About a month ago a buddy of ours gave us a couple seeds he found in a sack of “Head Cheese” and another from some “Black Diamond”

Be carefull.. seeds from a hermaphrodite plant will be more prone to turning hermaphrodite themselves...

Last edited by a moderator:
We still have yet to purchase seeds. Considered it but just haven’t done it yet. We started with a donation of two clones over two years ago. One strain died off from root rot during our first run. The other one is still going strong.

I would be cautious about accepting clones/starts. I would suggest isolating these from established plants and the main grow room whether there are plants in there or not.
I've gotten starts that have been infested with bugs and others that have had eggs hidden on the plants or in the soil.
All came from 'trusted' sources. With outdoor gardens, this is especially true and seems obvious, but bugs, fungus, mold can also happen in indoor gardens.
Most pests and other unwanted things can be cured with the use of a mild organic dish soup lightly sprayed on the leaves and then wiped off. Make sure to spray the underside of leaves.

Dish soup?! LOL.... I meant dish SOAP.

Last edited:
I like a tidy bush....
So i trim all sugar leaf off completely during harvest.. once they dry out i fimd it harder to remove them... but some people like a more rustic looking nug...
Also the more frosty sugar leaf i remove, the more concentrate i end up with....
Iv have very good results using good trim..
During harvest i keep the good trim seperate from the less frosty bits... the lesser product goes in a jar for edibles...
There is so much to be said for extracting from sugar leaf man! I'm glad you've pointed this out!

Whilst I'm no grower, I've come to realize that bubble hash and dry sift from sugar leaf in particular can yield extracts that are every bit as good as those I've made from the flower that those leaves came from! I've made sugar leaf run full melt bubble hash that makes mouths water just as much as nug run full melt from the same material. I actually have one leaf run full melt that I prefer to most of the nug run meds that I've got right now! :biggrin:

I always separate any nugs that I'm going to rosin and put the sugar leaf to one side for sifting/bubble run.

On a related note, I find that sugar leaves do not lend themselves so well to rosin tek and solvent extractions as bubble/sifting. This seems to be because we end up getting some unwanted plant material components coming out in the press/solvent run that doesn't happen in a good bubble/sift run. Still, that is not to say that you can't get perfectly reasonable solvent and rosin extracts from sugar leaf if bubble/sifting are not your things :peace:

This thread has stimulated all kinds of interesting discussions already! Thanks to each of you for sharing your knowledge (not to mention the mouth-watering pics!) here and to Mom for letting this thread happen! :clap:

Glad to see a grow thread! Currently taking a break from growing. Summers are too hot for an indoor closet grow. Also, last harvest was especially strong.

Grow a single plant from seed in soil-less medium and bottled nutes (Canna) under LEDs, max SCROG, and incremental harvest. Last time, got seeds from Seedsman. (Highly recommended - got a lifetime supply of freebies with one order!)

Cure, then two QWET runs on flower and sugar leaf. What's left, along with any fan leaves and stems saved, is cooked in coconut oil. Hope this plant will last until fall.

odT1WKn.jpg

I use a 4 pot DWC hydro setup.

I have customised the setup with:
This was an expensive setup and wasn't all purchased at once but gained over a number of years. However it has paid for itself in savings 3x over but it took two years to get the ROI. I'm in year 3 with this setup and enjoying the benefits.

I tend to germ 4x identical strain and manifold them. This involves topping two or three times for either 4 or 8 colas per plant. Recently been preferring 4 colas due to space constraints and larger plants.

I do a full defoliation (not the top 2x nodes of each cola) just as the bloom begins and then lollipop so there are no small bud sites below the light line.

The chiller means I have never had root rot or needed to use hydroguard.

The inline carbon filter means I can scrub the air but the unit can sit outside the tent giving me maximum use of the tents height.

The external water pump cycles the water through the chiller but being external it doesn't get tangled or clogged by roots. This also makes cleaning and harvest much easier. I built a box and manifold around the pump so I can switch flow direction and divert to an external output. This means I can use the pump to empty the reservoir or fill it (for cleaning purposes).

The Kind LED has been good (not great). I have had to send it in for 1x RMA when the PSU and VFD died at the beginning of a grow. The warranty was honoured but is only in effect for 1 year which I now feel is too short. I also wish I had gone for the 1000 rather than 750.

The norres air diffuser is great but in future I'll be looking for something that sits flat in the base of the reservoir. If the water level gets low the air diffuser stops the nutrients from diffusing evenly in the water. This became apparent after a couple of runs, one of the 4x pots always produces a runt. I think I could solve this by splitting the in/out tubes from the pump so the water cycles evenly through the system but this is a hack rather than a proper solution.

Last harvest I got 12x 32oz mason jars from 3x 'Gorilla Glue #4 by Fast Buds' - auto's (my first auto). One plant was a runt so I just removed it, however the rest were very hardy and didn't need constant PH maintenance. I did over run the grow by 2 weeks so this was a 4mnth grow, maybe a little less. I was very impressed by the genetics.

I got 1x Jyarz Satchmo and 1x Classic full of kief by dry sifting the trim, way more than I was expecting. I also then cooked up a batch of coconut oil with the remaining shake. Not tested that stuff yet but it looks potent too.

The purpose of the setup was to have a system that required minimal maintenance and could produce enough to keep three peoples medical needs covered and one recreational. I also avoid running during summer, I did get an AC unit but it's a pain to use and expensive to run.

I went hydro for quick turnarounds and to maintain a sterile environment.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the setup in here. Need to do a post harvest tidy first :wink:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back