Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Curing

The longer it sits the better it gets.............when done right?
So, basically the opposite of what happens to an arse.:thumbsup:

The longer it sits the better it gets.............when done right?

And that, my inspirational friend, is exactly what I’m trying to do! I have read a few places that say the cure is the most overlooked & underestimated part of the process and that new farmers oftentimes impatiently chop too early, reducing crop size & potency. By the time I acquired all the necessities, I made the decision to go with autos since we have a planned holiday this summer. I figured that way I could get my feet wet, do a crop and get the initial drying, jarring and all the burping done beforehand to achieve a proper cure. I didn’t want to nurture a crop in less than ideal conditions only to ruin it in the end. I’ve learned a lot and still have so far to go but it’s been such fun!

And that, my inspirational friend, is exactly what I’m trying to do! I have read a few places that say the cure is the most overlooked & underestimated part of the process and that new farmers oftentimes impatiently chop too early, reducing crop size & potency. By the time I acquired all the necessities, I made the decision to go with autos since we have a planned holiday this summer. I figured that way I could get my feet wet, do a crop and get the initial drying, jarring and all the burping done beforehand to achieve a proper cure. I didn’t want to nurture a crop in less than ideal conditions only to ruin it in the end. I’ve learned a lot and still have so far to go but it’s been such fun!
Ooooohhhhhh......how fun! I have a few autoflower in cloth pots ( upcycled shopping bags that proudly say "Keep it Local") on the patio. I started 5 more yesterday. I wanted to see if I could fit in a crop or two, and get some variety in before the Fall harvest, so I wouldn't be tempted to microwave the Fall bud as it was trimmed. I figured the " microwave the bud" urge must be pretty strong, or so many people wouldn't do it. That's not the sort of temptation I enjoy falling prey to, so I'm trying to head it off. Maybe my foresight and strength of character will attract better temptation! If I keep resisting, there will eventually be a Super Fun temptation I can't resist! That will be a fun day.

@pxl_jockey the drying process is very important as it leads into the cure. With my second harvest during mid summer my flowers dried in 4 days. They had a grass smell until ground up. Was such a shame to spend all that time and money to make a mistake at the end. Now I have switched to cooler room and leave all the leaf on hung whole to dry then as the leaves dry out I defoliate. Slows it down to get the extended dry of 10+ days in my environment.

Once I got the slow dry the cure has been very easy! Cellar Temps are great to preserve the terpenes for the long haul. I like about 55F.

@Madri-Gal my 6mo flower is phenomenal right now. I wouldnt trade it at this point it's that much better.

" microwave the bud"
I have been there when I was a smoker, not a very nice prospect...even worse for vaping, it just tastes bad compared.:frown:

@psychonaut I have had the same trouble in summer when drying can be too quick, 4 days and bottled up at 58%, not good:disgust: but still did not have to buy any!

I have been there when I was a smoker, not a very nice prospect...even worse for vaping, it just tastes bad compared.:frown:

@psychonaut I have had the same trouble in summer when drying can be too quick, 4 days and bottled up at 58%, not good:disgust: but still did not have to buy any!
I agree
Both on the dry too quickly point
And on the microwaving wet bud

If for some reason one ever had to spread on a plate with paper towel above and below the wet weed
Microwave in short increments checking as you go

Not a nice result though really
Flavour and quality highly reduced

my flowers dried in 4 days. They had a grass smell until ground up

Okay now you’re freaking me out! I’m harvesting one plant bit by bit and buds taken three days ago have a grass/hay smell right now. Others taken the next two days have it but less so, at least right now. Honestly don’t know why I’m tripping because the stuff I am used to was never cured, so this is gonna be as good or better.

Don't freak out. It can take time to get the dry and cure process nailed. Even if you have dried them a little quickly, jar them and let the cure continue. Enjoy your own product perfect or not.

Rancho Relaxo is great advice............if you were smart enough to get far enough to have enough to put in a jar at all you will be growing all big nuts macgillicudy in no time.
:aaaaa:

Okay now you’re freaking me out! I’m harvesting one plant bit by bit and buds taken three days ago have a grass/hay smell right now. Others taken the next two days have it but less so, at least right now. Honestly don’t know why I’m tripping because the stuff I am used to was never cured, so this is gonna be as good or better.

Just in time to keep your anxieties up, drying too slow is worse than too fast, if it ends up causing bud rot (mold). The biggest densest buds can grow mold from the inside out if the conditions are right. Damp and cool is the worst.

Thats a big problem for outdoor grows where I live. 40-50F and rain is common here in the fall and I've seen whole crops lost. Once it starts, it goes fast, you have to chop and get it dried pronto.

I’m definitely pleased & really amazed tbh, for my first shot. I did as @VCNZ suggested, although I didn’t see it until I was done. I very much appreciate the help and advice! I trimmed the biggest leaves away, scraped the scissors and hustled to the Nano. Just enough to cover 2 screens but oh my god, it made my tongue numb and my lips still feel funny! I followed that with a proper gong-full with the reg I have and the inside of my mouth was so coated that it made my normal regular stuff taste just like the earlier GG!!!
:aaaaa:

The more I reflect on it, the more I think that curing begins when you harvest the plant: the key to a good cure is letting the bud have the drying time it needs to compete, while we monitor the humidity and ward off mold, isn’t it? So that would be the entire time from when the ‘pump stops’ to when they’re ready to smoke, right?

So that would give up Vegetating, Flowering, and Drying...with drying needing as much awareness, patience, and experience as the first two. It seems. To me.

My last HARVEST smell was very grassy?

I trimmed all the crap off 2 da MAXIMUM!

Just long COLAS were kept.
They smelled decent after heavier trimming than normally!
If I wasn’t a cheap MF’er I’d make ROSIN with da trim?
Need 2 buy a press?

The more I reflect on it, the more I think that curing begins when you harvest the plant: the key to a good cure is letting the bud have the drying time it needs to compete, while we monitor the humidity and ward off mold, isn’t it? So that would be the entire time from when the ‘pump stops’ to when they’re ready to smoke, right?

So that would give up Vegetating, Flowering, and Drying...with drying needing as much awareness, patience, and experience as the first two. It seems. To me.

It actually begins before harvest. First you need a ripe plant. If you use chemical nutrients you should flush it. And I don't water the last few days.

All that is pre harvest but affects the cure and final product.

Well, of course, you’re describing the best expression of the flowering, without which...just as vegging’s “perfect product” is a healthy, strong plant, free of bugs and disease and imbalances, ready to get their stretch on.....

I guess I’m responding to the implication that harvesting and drying get the attention, curing is an extra step in that case.

So consider it one of the steps in processing your harvest, not as an afterthought. Dunno if I made that any clearer....

The smell goes from sweet to sour the stems snap but the petioles still bend without snapping.
Jar to distribute the remaining moisture (12 hours)then dump out for a hour or so.
Petioles should snap cleanly if not repeat ⬆ until they do.
Once they do you are stopping drying and starting curing.........my guess anyways.

I am finding decent jars for burping helps. I used quart (950ml) Ball Mason jars (because they were recommended for the job) but I am getting sick of how many jars I have to do, so I just ordered 12x 1/2 gallon(2ltr) ones to make life easier;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-x-Huge-2-Litre-Ball-Mason-Half-Gallon-Jars-Lids-Preserving-Canning-Storage/282669929528?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Not cheap, but they do not wear out in a hurry and you can buy lids seperately.
I also have about adozen or more of these spread around the jars;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5X-2in1-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Humidity-Temperature-EN/273604091999?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=573025154723&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would rather not use things like Bovida packs if possible so I burp in high humidity if I want to add moisture or I will burb in low humidity if I need to reduce moisturein the jar.:thumbsup:

Edit: We are looking for 60-64% humidity

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back