Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Curing

I am finding decent jars for burping helps. I used quart (950ml) Ball Mason jars (because they were recommended for the job) but I am getting sick of how many jars I have to do, so I just ordered 12x 1/2 gallon(2ltr) ones to make life easier;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-x-Huge-2-Litre-Ball-Mason-Half-Gallon-Jars-Lids-Preserving-Canning-Storage/282669929528?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Not cheap, but they do not wear out in a hurry and you can buy lids seperately.
I also have about adozen or more of these spread around the jars;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5X-2in1-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Humidity-Temperature-EN/273604091999?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=573025154723&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would rather not use things like Bovida packs if possible so I burp in high humidity if I want to add moisture or I will burb in low humidity if I need to reduce moisturein the jar.:thumbsup:

Edit: We are looking for 60-64% humidity
Why do you not like to use boveda packs and the likes

I am finding decent jars for burping helps. I used quart (950ml) Ball Mason jars (because they were recommended for the job) but I am getting sick of how many jars I have to do, so I just ordered 12x 1/2 gallon(2ltr) ones to make life easier;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-x-Huge-2-Litre-Ball-Mason-Half-Gallon-Jars-Lids-Preserving-Canning-Storage/282669929528?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Not cheap, but they do not wear out in a hurry and you can buy lids seperately.
I also have about adozen or more of these spread around the jars;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5X-2in1-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Humidity-Temperature-EN/273604091999?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=573025154723&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would rather not use things like Bovida packs if possible so I burp in high humidity if I want to add moisture or I will burb in low humidity if I need to reduce moisturein the jar.:thumbsup:

Edit: We are looking for 60-64% humidity
@LesPlenty , you will have those jars forever. Good call.
@pxl_jockey , you inspired me to get into the autogrow zone.
@arb, you keep me moving forward. Every. Single. Day.
@kite-507, Welcome, my friend. Here you will find a Cure for what ails you.

Why do you not like to use boveda packs and the likes
I only use them if I over dry my stash to start with, they just are not needed if your burping jar is airtight. Just keep burping in low humidity to get rid of excess moisture. I used to burp in a humid environment to add moisture if not too dry instead of Bovedas as well.:thumbsup:

Recently, I signed up for the Boveda Challenge and was accepted. You know I love a challenge if cannabis is involved, so I got started right away.
First, I took 1/4 oz of cannabis flower. I choose Tutankhamom because it was the first jar I grabbed. I divided Tut into two 1/8 oz portions. One 1/8th was stored one of the small CVaults provided, and the second 1/8th stored in the second CVault with a 62 Boveda pack. After fourteen days, I'm to use one of the two grinders provided to grind bud from a corresponding, assigned CVault. After I sample, I evaluate and review. It's like science.
20200130_125026.jpg
20200130_125147.jpg

20200130_130817.jpg

The Save The Terps Boveda Challenge package came with some matches (which is nice as I have a gas stove with a wonky pilot light), and some king sized rolling papers. I have no idea what to do with rolling papers. I've never rolled a joint in my life, and I don't smoke. Still, I'll hang onto them in case there is a Paraphernalia Drive for Those Less Fortunate. The local Cannabis Society might have something planned for 420.

I have never developed the ability to roll a decent joint. I HAVE tried, and more than once.
A dear friend said he taught himself to roll by rolling and smoking an ounce. By the end of that, he said, he could roll a real nice joint. I believe him: did in fact produce fine doobs, I smoked many with him, but I was always a pipe guy for cannabis.

I expect when I have an extra ounce I’ll try his method, and I have great confidence it will work for me.

I understand about the not smoking (and not wanting to), but passing a joint has been a time-honored way of my people to share a change of space with friends and stranger, to widen the circle. Pipes don’t actually fulfill the same function, and dabs are oddly not very social, it sometimes seems (around here)

They are cute little containers there @Madri-Gal, I have been eying their EVault (for concentrates, 316S/S instead of 304) that looks similar in size. I look forward to your results.
Did you wash out your CVault before use? They are a bit oily brand new.

@ClearBlueLou I rolled a joint for a smoker Australia Day and it was like riding a bike, less than a minute for a 2.5 paper. (I used to smoke 30+ of those a say).
It smelled nice as he was smoking and it was hard to say no...was fun watching him do a roadrunner cartoon feet before a faceplant followed by a nice little whitey and a rest...I love Australia Day pissups!
I think a Mighty/Crafty wouls be a great substitute to try with your smoking friends as it is easy to make big cougherous clouds that taste better than a smoke.

I used to roll joints with 3 papers
But never a big fan of them
Bongs and cones all day for me

I don't find the smell nice anymore though now but smokey like when I gave up cigarettes

I only feel enticed for a bong if people are smoking around me and I have no packed vape
I don't like the idea at all these days

A crafty/mighty is a good joint replacer I think to help fool the brain
Works for most people I trial it on over some vapes as a converter

Do people usually use vaults for rosin or just freeze it?
I've read freezing helps keep the THC from degrading as much

I look forward to your results @Madri-Gal
Did you buy that pack or is it a challenge where they give to you to try?

Last edited:
@felvapes, the package was sent for the challenge. I didn't know what was in it when I signed up, and I was pleased to see the CVaults. They seem well made. I might just find I need them in every size. I know how my cannabis was grown, dried, jarred. I am curious to see if there is a difference in the cure with the Boveda and CVaults. Kind of hope not. I like the low tech, low cost aspect of the simple mason jar. Still, I do use computers and indoor plumbing, so I am willing to march with the times if progress progresses. After all, I now have two CVaults and one Boveda pack. What are the chances I won't use them?

It might be possible that I have no stoner friends to smoke joints with because I can't roll a joint.

@felvapes, the package was sent for the challenge. I didn't know what was in it when I signed up, and I was pleased to see the CVaults. They seem well made. I might just find I need them in every size. I know how my cannabis was grown, dried, jarred. I am curious to see if there is a difference in the cure with the Boveda and CVaults. Kind of hope not. I like the low tech, low cost aspect of the simple mason jar. Still, I do use computers and indoor plumbing, so I am willing to march with the times if progress progresses. After all, I now have two CVaults and one Boveda pack. What are the chances I won't use them?

It might be possible that I have no stoner friends to smoke joints with because I can't roll a joint.
Cool
Yes I too prefer low tech as necessary
But if something does work and makes a decisive difference I am willing to move with new knowledge

Keen to see what you think in comparison to your usual methods :)

I believe you will be happy Gal,

I have a bunch of the XS CVaults, a small and two XLs......& have always been really happy with the product.

Normally I'd be good dirt bagging it with something along the lines of mason jars. But when storing high value produce why not invest and do it with the very best? They can be had very reasonably on ebay.

Plastic is so lame.

CVaults are the only odor free container that I've had any luck with and the Boveda packs aren't bullshit. They do regenerate dried herb.

I'm super paranoid about mold so cure my herb very well (in a wooden outbuilding.....just like tobacco farmers do) The Boveda packs allow me to bring it back up to humidity prior to consumption.

FWIW, I store dry unground herb in the bigger containers and then grind it into the XS faults and humidify. I think the smaller volumes work better.

But when storing high value produce why not invest and do it with the very best?
I like my CVault for burping but like mason jars for longer-term as I can vacuum seal them.

I believe you will be happy Gal,

I have a bunch of the XS CVaults, a small and two XLs......& have always been really happy with the product.

Normally I'd be good dirt bagging it with something along the lines of mason jars. But when storing high value produce why not invest and do it with the very best? They can be had very reasonably on ebay.

Plastic is so lame.

CVaults are the only odor free container that I've had any luck with and the Boveda packs aren't bullshit. They do regenerate dried herb.

I'm super paranoid about mold so cure my herb very well (in a wooden outbuilding.....just like tobacco farmers do) The Boveda packs allow me to bring it back up to humidity prior to consumption.

FWIW, I store dry unground herb in the bigger containers and then grind it into the XS faults and humidify. I think the smaller volumes work better.
I can't say I would use plastic. Mason jars have been my go to, and I'm not unhappy with them. They will likely be my first choice in the future, as mason jars are reasonable and readily available. @LesPlenty has gotten me interested in vacuum sealing, but he's also brought CVault to my attention. ( I did wash them before using, as I do with most things.) After grinding, I just leave it in the grinder until use. I'm not sure I will ever grind enough to move it to another container. Maybe the XS would be good for that usage, if the grinder ceases to satisfy. The CVault containers look nice, seem well made. I could see getting a few sizes, but can't imagine not using glass jars for the most part.
I can see a second experiment comparing a glass jar to a CVault.

@Basement Farmer, it made me smile thinking of your crop speared, and hanging from the rafters in a tobacco barn. The outbuilding must be handy.

I have a couple of the CVaults and I like them. I am not sold on the use of Boveda for curing, but for keeping some fresh handy, they’re quite nice.

a trick I learned with mason jars: the make one-piece white plastic lids for them. To make an extra-tight seal (alcohol-proof, if that tells you), place one of the flat lids on the jar, then screw on one of the plastic lids to hold that metal disc down. It provides extra pressure: the metal band is tight enough to let the heat-sealing work, but without the heat to seal it, this “two-piece” approach makes up the difference. My experience. Try it yourself.

I have a couple of the CVaults and I like them. I am not sold on the use of Boveda for curing, but for keeping some fresh handy, they’re quite nice.

a trick I learned with mason jars: the make one-piece white plastic lids for them. To make an extra-tight seal (alcohol-proof, if that tells you), place one of the flat lids on the jar, then screw on one of the plastic lids to hold that metal disc down. It provides extra pressure: the metal band is tight enough to let the heat-sealing work, but without the heat to seal it, this “two-piece” approach makes up the difference. My experience. Try it yourself.
I will try that. Thank you, @ClearBlueLou.
I had been feeling pretty good about my trimming, washing, drying and cure until I got stoned and realized I don't know anything. I felt pretty defeated. After the jars stopped needing to be burped like a needy infant, I left most of them closed and focused on Old Weed and getting through a few surgeries. A few days ago, I opened a neglected jar, and it smelled like fruity candy. When I tried Sweet Tooth a few months ago, I was pretty unhappy. It tasted green and piney. The lid also popped when I opened it. I was so excited about keeping the air out, that I started opening jars to smell them. Thinking a bit of time was needed. The nugs aren't dry, but aren't wet. Just sort of squishy sticky. No mold, and if I can keep mold away and the rats at bay, I'll think I did o.k.

I cure my bud in mason jars after the twigs are dry enough to snap. They are then sealed with a small hygometer and bodeva when the RH goes above 60%. I continue burping every day/week until the jars maintain a steady 60%RH. At that point they are vacuum sealed with an oxygen and bodeva pack inside. The jars are kept in a cool dark environment. I've kept flower for years without any noticeable degradation using this method. I still have a bit of bud from the 2016 harvest. It still looks and vapes great.

One side benefit from being a caregiver is my stock turns over pretty fast. I really don't have to worry about long term storage. If I get buds 6 months old or so I let patients know and drop the price and it goes quick. That only happens once or twice a year, when some other buds get more popular for some reason, like a new variety or something. I try to keep buds for patients in the 1 month to 4 month range. If patient's interest drops off I drop that line. And I try to introduce new stuff frequently. Next harvests new plant is alaskan thunderfuck, and Im bringing back an old favorite, super silver haze x bubba kush.

And like most I use glass but in half and gallon sizes, plus I start curing/end drying in paper sacks. And I'm a big believer in boveda packs. If a patient gets a couple ounces I throw in a small boveda pack. I use the white plastic lids for canning jars ( I don't care for the two piece lids) and in the one gallon jars to get a good seal I use plastic wrap under the screw on lid.

I use plastic wrap under the screw on lid.
Why not use the metal plate instead of the plastic wrap?

I also store my final cured bud like @Squiby (thanks for the hint on owy scrubber packs and the cordless sealer (I still use my plugin machine for doing multiple jars as it is quicker)

Why not use the metal plate instead of the plastic wrap?

I also store my final cured bud like @Squiby (thanks for the hint on owy scrubber packs and the cordless sealer (I still use my plugin machine for doing multiple jars as it is quicker)

On the one gallon glass jars the one piece metal lids only have like one thread so they don't seal like a canning jars. They're old bulk food jars, that came vacuum sealed originally.

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back