Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Curing

psychonaut

Florist
Company Rep
Curing I believe is essential to a smooth flower. I like to sample 0.3gr bowls in my crafty from week 1. I notice around week 4 the harshness in the flower is starting to diminish but surely another month or two before these are ready. My understanding is the trichomes continue to mature, would this also increase potency assuming the clears will cloudy up?

Curious what your cure regime is? When you feel the flower is good enough for consumption?

When do you feel terpenes are at their peak?

I keep my gear in glass containers with mini digital humidity gauges and I just keep burning the jars in a low humidity environment until I hit 62%. Then I will burb in 62-65% humidity room every week until I forget, I will then open up jars for a quick aroma check every now and then until consumption.:thumbsup:
I never had this luxury when combusting, I was smoking it as soon as it was dry and never got to experiment with longer flowering times and such.:smoke:

One revelation I had this harvest was to let the buds dry out a bit more than expected, this seemed to work fine with low temps moderate humidity, stems still didnt snap like some literature recommends, but the buds themselves were dry enough to jar, after jarring and seeing they stabilized at 55% RH, the smell was intense, and after raising the RH using a two-way humidipack back up to 62%, the smell is just as intense and developing nicely!

I think one of the biggest mistakes one can do in starting their cure is to jar them too soon and not get the RH back under control soon enough. It can be tempting to get them in the jar when the RH would be 70% but that fight to get back down to 60% is an uphill fight IME!

One revelation I had this harvest was to let the buds dry out a bit more than expected, this seemed to work fine with low temps moderate humidity, stems still didnt snap like some literature recommends, but the buds themselves were dry enough to jar, after jarring and seeing they stabilized at 55% RH, the smell was intense, and after raising the RH using a two-way humidipack back up to 62%, the smell is just as intense and developing nicely!

I think one of the biggest mistakes one can do in starting their cure is to jar them too soon and not get the RH back under control soon enough. It can be tempting to get them in the jar when the RH would be 70% but that fight to get back down to 60% is an uphill fight IME!

It's always a judgement call of when to jar them up, and there is a difference in bud density and size that also comes into play.

I agree properly cured buds smell great! The trick is to have them retain terpenes and that great aroma over time. Sealed glass helps, and buds stored out of light helps.

For me a month to a month and a half is perfect. Then they slowly start to turn brown as they lose choraphyil. And the terpenes slowly evaporate. At 3 months they're smooth but not quite as tasty. At 4 months it's time for a new crop, and to use up the old crop.

Having said that, I've kept buds in vacuumed sealed jars for a year+. They still retained the taste and effects but at maybe 85%. Anymore though my old buds get made into rosin for cannacaps.

12 months and it is only 85% as good as it was,:yikes:Fark, I had better start consuming more, anyone know of a vape that is hungrier than a Plenty? Maybe I had better get a Dabpress as @felvapes has hinted at.:thumbsup:

12 months and it is only 85% as good as it was,:yikes:Fark, I had better start consuming more, anyone know of a vape that is hungrier than a Plenty? Maybe I had better get a Dabpress as @felvapes has hinted at.:thumbsup:
get a dabpress and start using your bubble bags - and make oil with the leftovers from pressing and bubblebagging and from your avb and leaf...

You will be a happy happy camper

Remember 85% of great buds is still better than 100% meh buds.

get a dabpress and start using your bubble bags - and make oil with the leftovers from pressing and bubblebagging and from your avb and leaf...

You will be a happy happy camper

That ^^^

Does proper curing mean stronger product?

Surely THC and CBD levels are set during the growth stages.

Our flowers develope both tastes and effects as they age. Like a fine wine the alcohol level (thc/cbd) might not change much but the experience is greatly enhanced as it ages.

Part of the process is choraphyil disapating, part is tricombs maturing, part is terpenes. It's not all thc/cbd.

I'm going into week 7 here soon and my buds are finally starting to really seem smooth in heavy hitting flower vapes like the newvape showerhead. Definitely a much better experience than day one, when consuming as whole flower, not sure how the hash would have been uncured but I'm definitely glad to have the patience to wait for these buds.

Upcoming travel means that to leave 3 weeks for initial drying and curing, the Peppermint Kush will need to be harvested around Valentine's Day. All of the trichomes have been milky for weeks, but few are amber, and she's still holding on to a lot of leaves.

Usually go for >50% amber at harvest. Wondering whether to harvest a week later and rush the initial cure. (Not opening the jars daily for a second week.) Thoughts?

Unfamiliar with the strain, a cross between Barney's Farm Stella Blue with and Nepali Kush reputedly high in THC and about 1% CBD.

there is a difference in bud density and size that also comes into play.
Do fat, dense colas take especially long to dry? A good problem to have, but a first. :smug:

Upcoming travel means that to leave 3 weeks for initial drying and curing,
I would err on the dryer side, you can always re-hydrate if too dry, it is impossible to remove mold!:thumbsup:

Upcoming travel means that to leave 3 weeks for initial drying and curing, the Peppermint Kush will need to be harvested around Valentine's Day. All of the trichomes have been milky for weeks, but few are amber, and she's still holding on to a lot of leaves.

Usually go for >50% amber at harvest. Wondering whether to harvest a week later and rush the initial cure. (Not opening the jars daily for a second week.) Thoughts?

Unfamiliar with the strain, a cross between Barney's Farm Stella Blue with and Nepali Kush reputedly high in THC and about 1% CBD.

Do fat, dense colas take especially long to dry? A good problem to have, but a first. :smug:

How's your humidity? Right now where I live it's only in the 30% range. Buds dry quick in that humidity. In fact in this cold weather I've been throwing a gallon of water on the cement floor of my flower room to keep the humidity up.

In this humidity I could jar them in about 10-12 days. If its questionable you can leave the lid semi loose, until you get back, then use a humidity pack if desired. And the opposite is true, high humidity greatly increases drying time.

In high humidity times I've sealed up a small room and used a dehumidifier to dry buds when they were drying too slow.

Are you talking a lot? I use gallon jars but a full jar dries slow. So you have to frequently let them air out. I use a tray to let them be exposed to air for 1-12 hours at a time as needed. Or I'd put them back in a paper bag for a while if they did not need a lot of drying. If I wanted faster drying/curing in jars, I'd put less in each jar to get more air exposure. Less off a problem in quart or pint jars, but still if it's packed dense it drys slower than loose packed. Burping works better when there's air to expel.

Last edited:
Great tips, thanks! Sounds like Valentine's Day might be best.

How's your humidity? Right now where I live it's only in the 30% range. Buds dry quick in that humidity. In fact in this cold weather I've been throwing a gallon of water on the cement floor of my flower room to keep the humidity up.

Same here. Expecting to use remarkably accurate AirCare humidifier to raise humidity to 50%. 30% is too low, IME. Dries smaller buds in one or two days.

In this humidity I could jar them in about 10-12 days.

Do you mean colas in particular? For medium-sized buds, generally expect 3-7 days.

If its questionable you can leave the lid semi loose, until you get back, then use a humidity pack if desired.

Good idea! Want to get a perfect cure with these. Trying to avoid Boveda packs until later.

Are you talking a lot? I use gallon jars but a full jar dries slow. So you have to frequently let them air out.

No - quart jars are fine.

If I wanted faster drying/curing in jars, I'd put less in each jar to get more air exposure.

Another good tip!

It'll be fine, even if harvested now and freeze-dried. In the past, did that at the first sign of Botrytis. The shatter was especially pungent, in a good way. Might freeze-dry a zip fresh-harvested for comparison. (Never tried live rosin, wonder if this is similar.)

But cured is more versatile and makes shatter with a more mature flavor profile. Rarely vape flower.

I've got some auto blackberry kush that's been jarred since June of last year, coming up on a year. Stored in mason jar with 62% boveda. Smell is not very strong on the outside of the buds, though the jar had a nice smell to it, but after the nug was ran through my grinder immediately bright smell, and flavor was still fairly good. This jar was only opened maybe once every 6 weeks. I was also surprised at the potency, I usually dont have bud cured this long, this gives me a lot of hope for longer term storage, I didnt have an oxy absorber in the jar so sadly I didnt have a test against the trichome color.

I've got some auto blackberry kush that's been jarred since June of last year, coming up on a year. Stored in mason jar with 62% boveda. Smell is not very strong on the outside of the buds, though the jar had a nice smell to it, but after the nug was ran through my grinder immediately bright smell, and flavor was still fairly good. This jar was only opened maybe once every 6 weeks. I was also surprised at the potency, I usually dont have bud cured this long, this gives me a lot of hope for longer term storage, I didnt have an oxy absorber in the jar so sadly I didnt have a test against the trichome color.
I love 62% pack’s 4 curing!

I’m very jealous of your stash!

I have seed’s galore however my wife say’s: it’s too cheap 2 grow it!
You are so privileged 2 grow how you want?

Going through a change of thought?
Sorry 4 being a prick of misery!

I love 62% pack’s 4 curing!

I’m very jealous of your stash!

I have seed’s galore however my wife say’s: it’s too cheap 2 grow it!
You are so privileged 2 grow how you want?

Going through a change of thought?
Sorry 4 being a prick of misery!

They work really well indeed, I haven't had any complaints and have tried the boost's as well, I like the indicators that you get with the boosts but I guess they cant be recharged.

You have seeds so you have the beginning of life, 1 seed can turn into ten thousand plants!

I am privileged that I live in a state that allows me to grow, but they dont allow me to grow how I want =/ They are getting better though, you can get a higher plant count if your medicine is made into hash or rosin, but I find the base limits are enough for my needs so far.

Whatever is cheapest, in that you trust is all that matters my friend.

They work really well indeed, I haven't had any complaints and have tried the boost's as well, I like the indicators that you get with the boosts but I guess they cant be recharged.

You have seeds so you have the beginning of life, 1 seed can turn into ten thousand plants!

I am privileged that I live in a state that allows me to grow, but they dont allow me to grow how I want =/ They are getting better though, you can get a higher plant count if your medicine is made into hash or rosin, but I find the base limits are enough for my needs so far.

Whatever is cheapest, in that you trust is all that matters my friend.
I grew in the 70’s in HAWAII as a beach bum surfer troll & pot was free.
COLAS (monkey-tail’s) were the standard?
We were dumb as rock’s but pulled da male’s because we loved the girl without seed!
Making fun of mainland people getting bag’s of weed full of seed’s?

I grew inside with lights in a box.
Outside gave me a bigger yield?
I love growing to obtain colas.
$100/28 gram’s is a lot to me?
When I hear about your grow I’m jealous!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back