Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vape D nail Halo and Nimbus

herbivore21

Let's face it, d-nail sell too many different products to have one single thread. This thread is to describe the SiC, Sapphire and Quartz halos by d-nail.

As per their own management at the time, d-nail shifted their focus toward providing the bleeding edge of nail design a year or two ago, starting with the debut of the SiC halo (the first SiC nail, for which the respective d-nail staff have a design/utility patent).

Fast forward a couple years and there are few who do not yet realize that SiC and Sapphire are the best nail surfaces currently on offer.

As somebody who has owned all of the above halos
since/before their official release, I will provide some initial thoughts on the differences between them:

1. SiC halo - This is the best torch nail on the market IMO (the SiC and ceramic torch only version included, depending on whether you ever want enail functionality one or the other will suit you better).

You will get fantastic flavor, you will never damage this nail from overtorching it, you are not likely to break it unless you subject it to serious abuse (it is much more durable than quartz or sapphire). SiC is also easier to clean than quartz or sapphire if you dab oils which do not qtip cleanly, rather than whole resin glands (ie: full melt, which tends to qtip much more cleanly off of a dish than rosin/solvent extracts).

As an e-nail, SiC is second only to sapphire in flavor. SiC gives bigger, denser clouds and vaporizes the same dab more quickly than sapphire. If you are someone who likes 'hot and hurty' dabs more than low temp flavor savoring dabs, SiC may be preferable for your needs.

2. Quartz halo - IMO, this is not recommended over the other halos. Whilst it is the best quartz I've used (and I've owned considerably more expensive Pukinbeagle quartz before, more than once!), quartz is inferior to all other halo materials on offer. Whilst it uses the trademarked d-nail wik surface, which aids to spread your dab more evenly, it does not vaporize as quickly or efficiently as the other halos.

The inner surfaces of the outer sides of the dish are very hard to clean after moderate use (this is true of ALL quartz nails, you get stubborn buildup on the surface of the nail that the heater doesn't contact). The quartz halo should not be torched IMO, and care must be taken not to over-tighten the securing nut, as this may break the quartz with heat expansion during use. The wicking surface means that this is the best quartz nail on the market, but IMO quartz has had it's time in the sun and it is time to step aside and let SiC and Sapphire take their rightful crowns :biggrin: The quartz halo costs more than the SiC, and this makes it an even harder proposition to justify :twocents:

3. Sapphire Halo - This is the overall best nail on the market at present IMO, so long as you are prepared to go all e-nail (sapphire should never be torched, not ever!). I own the Liger sapphire and SiC offerings too, but cannot recommend them over the d-nail equivalents, which are cheaper, and vaporize more efficiently/quickly due to superior carb cap function and spread of the oil via the wicking surface of the dish, which uses capillary action to spread your oil evenly across the surface, promoting more even, quick and tasty vaporization. Sapphire tastes better than SiC, conducts heat better than quartz but is less resistant to thermal shock (sharp, large changes in temp from hot to cold or visa versa). Sapphire is very, very expensive as a raw material and these nails are no different. For those that don't have the budget to spend on a sapphire halo, I strongly recommend SiC as the next best thing :biggrin:

D-nail are the most affordable vendors of high quality SiC and Sapphire on the market. The only competition in the high end of nails is from the equivalent Ligers, which cost considerably more money and do not function better (although depending on your usage scenario, will not necessarily function worse - the liger w/ SiC and Sapphire has a place in my daily driver lineup :twocents:). They also have offered impeccable service in my experience over the years, and their service is unmatched by any other nail vendor I've ever dealt with.

Well that'll do for a start, I'm sure others will add their experiences and thoughts too :smile:

As a guideline for the thread to keep it easier on the readers, please highlight clearly (perhaps even make the text bold like I have done above) which halos you own, and which you have used.

Last edited:
There is also a Titanium HALO and although I never have torched mine it can be torched no problem. It's basically just a huge TI nail head - good quality of build but still TI.

The Sapphire Inserts from D-nail are kind of nice too. They sit on a shelf in the HALO's and and provide a more convection based dab. A nice novelty and would not consider essential.

I have a SiC HALO and love it - nothing comes close to it's flavor/durability in my collection at least.

An important thing to note with all HALO's is that you really really really need the D-Nail Universal Carb Cap. The Carb cap is a pretty penny albeit it is the nicest carb cap I've used and owned and the grooves on the inside of the cap are staggered so you can properly cap and seal most any Quartz Banger or standard TI Nail - but more importantly the D-Nail Carb Cap is the only cap that properly caps the HALOs from my experience. Fits like a glove. The HALO's are all a bit too big for the standard chinese carb cap dabber to properly cap.

There is also a Titanium HALO and although I never have torched mine it can be torched no problem. It's basically just a huge TI nail head - good quality of build but still TI.

The Sapphire Inserts from D-nail are kind of nice too. They sit on a shelf in the HALO's and and provide a more convection based dab. A nice novelty and would not consider essential.

I have a SiC HALO and love it - nothing comes close to it's flavor/durability in my collection at least.

An important thing to note with all HALO's is that you really really really need the D-Nail Universal Carb Cap. The Carb cap is a pretty penny albeit it is the nicest carb cap I've used and owned and the grooves on the inside of the cap are staggered so you can properly cap and seal most any Quartz Banger or standard TI Nail - but more importantly the D-Nail Carb Cap is the only cap that properly caps the HALOs from my experience. Fits like a glove. The HALO's are all a bit too big for the standard chinese carb cap dabber to properly cap.
Excellent information man, especially the carb cap! I can't echo that comment enough! If you don't get the d-nail universal 2.0 carb you are missing out.

I agree that the sapphire insert is not essential, in fact, I do not enjoy it so much with the halos. It is much better with the other d-nail titanium nails (1.4 deep dish and the v1 flat dish).

I havn't been using my SIC halo much lately. I've been very busy this fall, and I'm having a pole barn built. So busy busy. And to medicate I take a few concentrate hits off my vapcap omni during the day, and my wife and I share a couple mighty concentrate loads in the evening.

But we've had a ton of rain lately and the contractors were not around much and I had time to play. I renewed my love affair with my sic halo, lol.

And I found on certain rosin varieties ( havn't tried them all) that I can vape at less than 500 degrees F. Like 480-490, and still not leaving a lot of residue. Even varieties thay I thought tasted great at 520 taste better at 480. Damn! I love this rig

I also like my D-nail SiC Halo with the cap. Pre-heating the cap makes a big difference, IME, and worth doing. I put it one, watch the temp drop, and when it starts to come back up I remove the cap and dab. I particularly like the forked dab tool on my cap.

I also like my Liger 20 mm SiC.

They are different devices with a different signature (a bit) but I very much like each for they are.

Cheers

any advice on using the sapphire insert?

What temp should I use? (I like 565 up-temp dabs on the SiC dish)

Should I use the carb cap? (Seems like a tight fit!).

What about cleaning? I guess I have to wait for it to cool? Then ISO? Distilled water?

any advice on using the sapphire insert?

What temp should I use? (I like 565 up-temp dabs on the SiC dish)

Should I use the carb cap? (Seems like a tight fit!).

What about cleaning? I guess I have to wait for it to cool? Then ISO? Distilled water?
Carb cap should fit perfectly with the sapphire insert on the SiC halo man, please do report back if you find that you cant get the cap on with the insert, that would be likely to indicate a flaw in the tolerances of one of the components.

I have never been inclined to use the sapphire inserts in the halos, IME, they are much better when used conductively in one of the titanium nails, where the entire floor of the dish is covered in sapphire.

When using sapphire inserts on the halos, I find that the dab ends up spattering off the edges of the sapphire onto the SiC if the dab is too big or not evenly spread across the insert.

One thing I will mention is that when you use a sapphire insert with the halo, you will need to jack the temp up significantly on the halo. The Sapphire insert doesn't conduct heat from the halo as it has very little contact with the hot SiC dish, so you're relying on more radiant/convective heat and need to put some more heat into the surrounding SiC to achieve that. As such, pre-heating the carb cap is likely to be more helpful when using a sapphire insert on a halo than with normal conductive dabs!

Cleaning - You can actually remove the insert while it is hot, I always very carefully removed the insert with a pair of tweezers while hot, then placed it onto a pyrex surface to cool before cleaning. For cleaning, I have found that a hot iso bath, then a hot water bath and qtips (wet the qtip with hot water) gets the insert clean. Failing this, you can also leave the insert on your halo at super high cleaning temps for a while to clean the insert as well :biggrin:

I usually ahve my Halo Sic on high temp dabs...nice big hit

I tried low temp and found it tasted great but took ages to finish..

I need a carb cap but yet to find one I can buy

Finally got the email from dnail
Got my invoice for carb cap W dab tool
Sale price of 20% off from black friday sale

They say they have limited stock ATM if ppl are interested

So I have waited months and months with little communication but they came through eventually

Can't wait to try it out and improve my halo experience finally

Finally got the email from dnail
Got my invoice for carb cap W dab tool
Sale price of 20% off from black friday sale

They say they have limited stock ATM if ppl are interested

So I have waited months and months with little communication but they came through eventually

Can't wait to try it out and improve my halo experience finally

Great news!

I hope dnail gets their shit together, cause they do have high end dishes.

@felvapes I just went to purchase my kit from them as you said the dab tool was finally in stock and they are out of stock on the halos, including 2nds, oh well, no rush.:thumbsup:

@felvapes I just went to purchase my kit from them as you said the dab tool was finally in stock and they are out of stock on the halos, including 2nds, oh well, no rush.:thumbsup:
You have to email them to get stock and on the list easier I think
They are the HL of communication and ease of purchase etc but they have a good product

I would email and hassle them a little saying you have been trying to order parts for ages

They will eventually email you and send a pay link I reckon :)

My carb cap and dab tool with fork arrived today
Super quick post from dnail once they gave me a paylink and I paid them

Emailing them directly is the way to go as I have never seen the cap available on the site

Get on a wait list and email them every 2-4 weeks to remind them
They will eventually reply and send a link to pay via PayPal

Yet to try it out will leave feedback later

Loving the dab tool and carb cap

Had read that ppl like the dab tool with a fork and yup, it is the goods
More delicate looking than other tools but works great and with the fork part it manages to both pick up your rosin whether it be gooey or hard, and get it off the tool into the dish
The gap in fork helps to release the rosin instead of sticking to the tool most gets dabbed
I am surprised at how much better it actually is

The carb cap is a must too, it works beautifully with the sic and really gets the dab done properly and tastily

Good stuff imo - I do recommend to go with the Dnail halo range....

The carb cap is a must too, it works beautifully with the sic and really gets the dab done properly and tastily
Were you not using any type of carb cap before when dabbing?

I got a tip from @Baron23 to use glass dab tools with my banger instead of the SS. The concentrate seems to slide off of it rather than moving up the metal; leaving a much 'cleaner' dab tool at the end. But I'll have to check out the forked type.

I got a tip from @Baron23 to use glass dab tools with my banger instead of the SS. The concentrate seems to slide off of it rather than moving up the metal; leaving a much 'cleaner' dab tool at the end. But I'll have to check out the forked type.
I had caps but not specifically for the halo
The size shape and seal make a big difference to function
It's great
I had looked at a glass dab tool and thought it might be nice, have not tried one though

Yes the slide up thing was an issue before

Now with the Dnail cap/tool with little fork it seems to slide off and not ride up as you said

Looks and feels nicer in hand too with the shape

I had caps but not specifically for the halo
The size shape and seal make a big difference to function
It's great
I had looked at a glass dab tool and thought it might be nice, have not tried one though

Yes the slide up thing was an issue before

Now with the Dnail cap/tool with little fork it seems to slide off and not ride up as you said

Looks and feels nicer in hand too with the shape
I agree...its tough to properly cap a dish without a cap made for it. The d-nail cap works perfectly. I do also like the forked dabber but funnily I like glass pencil type dabber for the 710coils.com bangers....maybe because they are deeper. On the Liger and D-nail Halo, it seems easier to wipe the dab off on the edge and get it all so forked dabber or just Ti ball point dabber works ok on them (does that even make sense?)

I agree...its tough to properly cap a dish without a cap made for it. The d-nail cap works perfectly. I do also like the forked dabber but funnily I like glass pencil type dabber for the 710coils.com bangers....maybe because they are deeper. On the Liger and D-nail Halo, it seems easier to wipe the dab off on the edge and get it all so forked dabber or just Ti ball point dabber works ok on them (does that even make sense?)
A glass pencil type is what I was looking at myself for QB

But yes for the halo the fork is great

I think it was your reviews on cap and fork I had previously read

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back