Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vape Da Vinci IQ

herbivore21

So I thought that we need a thread for this one here. I have recently had the chance to experience one of these and it is wonderful! I had no hardware issues with my unit and have not had to RA at all so far. I know I'd heard about that happening to some extent especially upon release.

722_std_1477939761.png

A few things I want to point out about this unit to get us started:

1. THIS THING IS NOT FOR CONCENTRATE USE. Not even if you DIY some well fitted concentrate pads. It doesn't seem to get hot enough throughout the load to produce thick/full vapor with concentrates alone. If anyone ever used a Haze v3 for concentrates, expect similar lackluster results here. Mixing flower and concentrate works!

2. The flavor chamber is where your reclaim builds up. This is the most collectable reclaim without the use of solvents that I've ever seen, and the claim almost exclusively collects on zirconia surfaces (ie: relatively inert polished ceramic surfaces which do not contaminate your reclaim!). Once you've used your IQ reasonably regularly for a week or so without cleaning, you can scoop 5 large dabs easily from the flavor chamber! These dabs taste just like flower vaping - and pack a mean punch!

3. The IQ warms up refreshingly quickly. I'm happy with the heat up time on this vs the Mighty, Haze v3, etc. I find it takes 30-45 seconds to heat up to my preferred temps (between 370-430f). It isn't instant (but very few portables are, and those that are are nowhere near as polished/well put together), but this is a reasonable warm up period that feels like very little wait.

4. The bowl is fucking ridiculously oversized, just like the older Da Vincis. This is IMO a major drawback, since unless you pack .4g of flower or so, this limits conduction. Frankly, spacers are a must for this unit if you don't wanna obliterate your stash in a few bowls. I fashioned some spacers out of an S&B concentrate pad and this works very effectively with small loads (.15g or more).

5. Do not ever fuck around with the Zirconia tamping ball in the bowl. That is screwed onto a silicone threaded post, which is strong enough to retain the zirconia which largely shields this silicone from the heat in the bowl (no outgassing concerns that I can foresee here). If you mess with that soft silicone thread, you may wear it over time. That is no bueno. My ball has stayed clean with regular brushing after each load. I've never removed or adjusted it at all. I do not recommend doing so.

6. This vaporizer is very smooth on the throat. After hitting my evo, it was like night and day trying the IQ at high temps through water in the same way. No convection harshness on the throat. I find max temp on the IQ to be tolerable and I've never been able to say that about any other vape! The zirconia is used to great effect in this design!

7. Heat is required to clean the cap for the flavor chamber, those tiny airflow holes can clog with resin if you use it heavily without adequate cleaning. I use a double boiler and the oil will gradually run down onto pyrex - for you guessed it: more solventless reclaim!

8. The smart paths are very useful IME for direct draw hits without glass. I use smart path 2 (350-370f over the course of the session) for that purpose the most, sometimes finish on smartpath 3 (370-390f). When I'm using a rig, I use precision mode to dial in a sufficiently high temp for whitewall.

9. Battery life is good, I get between 1-1.5 hours per battery. Given that these are user removeable and replaceable 18650's with external charging, this is a wonderful vape for someone who wants to go out for the day and vape ALL DAY.

10. The size, shape and feel of the unit is exceptional. The fitting of the hinged door for the top could be slightly better aligned, but otherwise, the unit feels hefty, high quality and made of good materials. I wanna see more portables on offer that are this small! This is a truly portable vape!

11. The screen on the IQ is great. I love the look of it. I love that the light can be dimmed somewhat. However...

12. I wish there was a way to turn off the vibrating, or turn it down. It is pretty obnoxiously loud and all vapes that make a sound etc should allow for this to be disabled, especially if the vape has an app.

13. I haven't used the app by the way, one thing that I enjoy about this vape is that the app is not necessary for anything except modifying smart paths (which I've not bothered doing and probably won't). This makes the IQ a much more attractive proposition than the Crafty for people who don't wanna fuck around with their cell just to use a vape, insofar as you can get away with never using the App at all!

There's more info available on the Da Vinci site:

https://www.davincivaporizer.com/iq-vaporizer/

So I thought that we need a thread for this one here. I have recently had the chance to experience one of these and it is wonderful! I had no hardware issues with my unit and have not had to RA at all so far. I know I'd heard about that happening to some extent especially upon release.

722_std_1477939761.png

A few things I want to point out about this unit to get us started:

1. THIS THING IS NOT FOR CONCENTRATE USE. Not even if you DIY some well fitted concentrate pads. It doesn't seem to get hot enough throughout the load to produce thick/full vapor with concentrates alone. If anyone ever used a Haze v3 for concentrates, expect similar lackluster results here. Mixing flower and concentrate works!

2. The flavor chamber is where your reclaim builds up. This is the most collectable reclaim without the use of solvents that I've ever seen, and the claim almost exclusively collects on zirconia surfaces (ie: relatively inert polished ceramic surfaces which do not contaminate your reclaim!). Once you've used your IQ reasonably regularly for a week or so without cleaning, you can scoop 5 large dabs easily from the flavor chamber! These dabs taste just like flower vaping - and pack a mean punch!

3. The IQ warms up refreshingly quickly. I'm happy with the heat up time on this vs the Mighty, Haze v3, etc. I find it takes 30-45 seconds to heat up to my preferred temps (between 370-430f). It isn't instant (but very few portables are, and those that are are nowhere near as polished/well put together), but this is a reasonable warm up period that feels like very little wait.

4. The bowl is fucking ridiculously oversized, just like the older Da Vincis. This is IMO a major drawback, since unless you pack .4g of flower or so, this limits conduction. Frankly, spacers are a must for this unit if you don't wanna obliterate your stash in a few bowls. I fashioned some spacers out of an S&B concentrate pad and this works very effectively with small loads (.15g or more).

5. Do not ever fuck around with the Zirconia tamping ball in the bowl. That is screwed onto a silicone threaded post, which is strong enough to retain the zirconia which largely shields this silicone from the heat in the bowl (no outgassing concerns that I can foresee here). If you mess with that soft silicone thread, you may wear it over time. That is no bueno. My ball has stayed clean with regular brushing after each load. I've never removed or adjusted it at all. I do not recommend doing so.

6. This vaporizer is very smooth on the throat. After hitting my evo, it was like night and day trying the IQ at high temps through water in the same way. No convection harshness on the throat. I find max temp on the IQ to be tolerable and I've never been able to say that about any other vape! The zirconia is used to great effect in this design!

7. Heat is required to clean the cap for the flavor chamber, those tiny airflow holes can clog with resin if you use it heavily without adequate cleaning. I use a double boiler and the oil will gradually run down onto pyrex - for you guessed it: more solventless reclaim!

8. The smart paths are very useful IME for direct draw hits without glass. I use smart path 2 (350-370f over the course of the session) for that purpose the most, sometimes finish on smartpath 3 (370-390f). When I'm using a rig, I use precision mode to dial in a sufficiently high temp for whitewall.

9. Battery life is good, I get between 1-1.5 hours per battery. Given that these are user removeable and replaceable 18650's with external charging, this is a wonderful vape for someone who wants to go out for the day and vape ALL DAY.

10. The size, shape and feel of the unit is exceptional. The fitting of the hinged door for the top could be slightly better aligned, but otherwise, the unit feels hefty, high quality and made of good materials. I wanna see more portables on offer that are this small! This is a truly portable vape!

11. The screen on the IQ is great. I love the look of it. I love that the light can be dimmed somewhat. However...

12. I wish there was a way to turn off the vibrating, or turn it down. It is pretty obnoxiously loud and all vapes that make a sound etc should allow for this to be disabled, especially if the vape has an app.

13. I haven't used the app by the way, one thing that I enjoy about this vape is that the app is not necessary for anything except modifying smart paths (which I've not bothered doing and probably won't). This makes the IQ a much more attractive proposition than the Crafty for people who don't wanna fuck around with their cell just to use a vape, insofar as you can get away with never using the App at all!

There's more info available on the Da Vinci site:

https://www.davincivaporizer.com/iq-vaporizer/

Glad you are liking it, my friend :thumbsup: Many others do also.

I was lent one and it really wasn't the vape for me. Draw resistance was objectionable and, as you mentioned, the load size was too damn big (and I'm not a fan of having to buy or craft spacers to compensate for what I consider to be a design deficiency).

But as I said, there are many, many others out there that love this vape.

I was lent one and it really wasn't the vape for me. Draw resistance was objectionable and, as you mentioned, the load size was too damn big (and I'm not a fan of having to buy or craft spacers to compensate for what I consider to be a design deficiency).
The load size does frustrate me as it is such an obviously silly choice. However, the SS pad I made took me 2 mins to make and it tastes better than any other portable I've ever used (I've had a GH, Mighty, Solo, Crafty and most high end portables out there). I agree, it is a design deficiency. I just think that the vape still provides the most viable portable flower vapor of anything I've used. The smoothness and flavor of vapor and cleanability is so welcome!

Draw resistance might have been an issue with the load or mouthpiece used. If you use the standard non GonG adapter mouthpiece, the restriction is higher. This is designed to be mouth pulled on like a joint and the restriction lends itself to that. If the draw is too tight when you use the GonG adapter, then it is likely that your extended mouthpiece GonG section is clogged with reclaim, or the load was packed too tight.

I love this unit for draw resistance, and I am one who really takes issue with excessive draw resistance, to the point that I've never liked the Solo at all.

Reactions: BD9
Draw resistance might have been an issue with the load or mouthpiece used. If you use the standard non GonG adapter mouthpiece, the restriction is higher. This is designed to be mouth pulled on like a joint and the restriction lends itself to that. If the draw is too tight when you use the GonG adapter, then it is likely that your extended mouthpiece GonG section is clogged with reclaim, or the load was packed too tight.

Hi my friend...well, my experience was different.

I certainly did not find the taste to be all that outstanding and yes, I used both MP and found both objectionable.

The vape was fairly new, working fine according to its owner who would know, and was perfectly clean.

Just not the vape for me.

Cheers

Hi my friend...well, my experience was different.

I certainly did not find the taste to be all that outstanding and yes, I used both MP and found both objectionable.

The vape was fairly new, working fine according to its owner who would know, and was perfectly clean.

Just not the vape for me.

Cheers
IME, <one week of moderate use with flower that has good resin will clog the flavor chamber holes and create incredible levels of draw restriction regardless of the mouthpiece used. I clean this unit daily if I use it daily and I clean it like a gun, with great attention to each component!

The Extended MP has a large internal path whose volume can quickly be filled with reclaim if it is not cleaned frequently with heat, alcohol and preferably pressurized steam.

The cap on the flavor chamber is especially important to clean with heat and iso, since the holes there are tiny, too small to place even a paperclip into and they will clog if you use dank regularly and do not clean regularly. This is the main piece that should be cleaned with a double boiler. IME, if these flavor chamber holes get clogged internally, they may look perfectly clean to the naked eye. The only way to be certain that this section is clean is to use heat and pressure. If the rest of the unit is utterly clean, and these tiny holes have clogging, that'll be enough to add an unreasonable level of draw resistance very quickly. IME only 3 of those holes being clogged becomes no bueno.

What I'm saying is that your friend may have cleaned the vape exceptionally to normal vape cleaning standards and still had this problem. The addition of a double boiler and/or steam to clean this piece out is vital.

This vape could offer a wide range of performance depending on the behaviors of the user. It is IME definitely best suited to the more frequent and overly thorough vape cleaners among us. It is definitely not perfect (as no portable has even come close).

So far, it is just the best for my needs in a portable flower vape. BTW, I prefer hitting high end flower in the IQ over the evo for taste! However, like any vape (including the evo, anyone ever got claim all over the 18mm gong end of the evo bamboo from too many vapexnail rips at low temp, it definitely fouls the taste of later rips!) YMMV substantially depending on the cleanliness of the vapor path, especially the flavor chamber and heater section in-between the bowl and flavor chamber.

I wanted to return and add something important here about the IQ. This is a session vape. This is not a quick one-hitter vape. It'll heat up quickly and give you endless clouds, but those clouds will continue for a very long time! I frequently find that very resinous herb can outlast the 10 min auto cut off, with non-stop whitewalls of vapor coming through the rig all the while. I can't keep up with the vapor production on the IQ; unlike the first few generations of flower vapes that many of us will remember, which could not keep up the vapor production with the speed of the user's inhalation! I am a full time dabber, so I'm no stranger to a lot of vapor!

I think that the IQ is going to be something that won't suit people who prefer to finish a bowl rapidly in 1-3 hits. However, I should note that I've not found a portable flower vape that accomplishes 1-3 hit bowls in a way that leaves me satisfied yet. Hopefully that'll come sooner than later!

In the meantime, I'm happy to have the IQ to fill that occasional flower session niche in my vape lineup. Very small, very tasty, easy to clean and as much battery life as you can possibly want via user replaceable batteries. Just don't come to this vape intending to microdose, use concentrates or spend entire loads in a few quick rips. For those things, you should look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Thinking of deleting the IQ app, it works horribly. If anyone has done this, can you tell me if there are any negative consequences ?

" Is there anybody .......... OUT THERE ? " My apologies to Roger Waters .
Sorry... I don't own one. But it would seem to me that you could delete it and see how it works. If it doesn't work as well, can't you just reinstall the app?

Thinking of deleting the IQ app, it works horribly. If anyone has done this, can you tell me if there are any negative consequences ?
The only downside I can see is that you can't set custom smart path temps any longer without the app. If you don't need to change your smart paths, then it shouldn't matter at all. I've never used the Da Vinci app with the IQ personally. One of the things that I really like about the IQ is that you don't have to touch the app at all.

I was not sure as to the consequences that may have occured. I've gotten the needed push from forum friends, to take action." It still works ","Bells & Whistles Begone" Thanks to the both of you for your help.

Very surprised how good the flavor is on the IQ. It holds it's weight against many of the convection vapes I own. I love the Olive. The "flavor"chamber is great at cooling down the vapor, but not much more. A smooth ,cool ,tasty conduction unit.
Small of size, no need to disguise and it's effectiveness will put smiles in your eyes.

Very surprised how good the flavor is on the IQ. It holds it's weight against many of the convection vapes I own. I love the Olive. The "flavor"chamber is great at cooling down the vapor, but not much more. A smooth ,cool ,tasty conduction unit.
Small of size, no need to disguise and it's effectiveness will put smiles in your eyes.
Agreed, flavor in the IQ is about as good as it gets for conduction IME. I love how the vapor itself is not so hot and harsh like convection units. For those who only use flower, this is probably my most recommended portable :biggrin:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back