Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vivant

Manufacturer
Hey Everyone,

We are excited to announce our new release here and discuss details with you all.
The newest Vivant product is called the DaBOX.

Please feel free to ask questions :)

MOST POWERFUL PORTABLE VAPORIZER IN THE MARKET

Having 40 watts instantaneous power at your finger tips, you will have the most intense vaping experience from a portable wax vaporizer. DAbOX™ currently comes with a Dual Quartz Clapton Coil and Dual Quartz Coil, and features Single Quartz Clapton Coil sold separately. So you get to choose exactly how you want to vape.

FEATURES:

Interchangeable Coil System-Interchangeable coil options will customize your vaping preference.

Flip Door™- Flip Door™ clicks to 45 and 90 degrees for fast material loading and coil replacement.

Glass Chamber-High quality glass chamber helps to cool the vapor and it is easily removed for quick cleaning.

LED Light display-Indicates on/off, battery life, stealth mode, and electrical connectivity with the coil.

SIMPLE YET POWERFUL

You press, you hit. But you might want to take it easy.

BUILT IN LI-ION BATTERY

1500mAh battery capacity provides the right combination of power and portability to meet your everyday usage demands.

PORTABILITY

DAbOX™ fits in the palm of your hand so you can take it on the go and vape in discretion.

2A QUICK CHARGE SYSTEM

DAbOX™ has a quick charge system which can support 2 Amps max charging current that enables the user to go from a completely drained to fully charged battery cell in 1 hour. To charge the device, simply connect the USB cable from your device to a supported outlet. The LED light located around the charging port will display red while the device is charging and will turn off once the device is fully charged.

MOST CONVENIENT PORTABLE WAX VAPORIZER IN THE MARKET

The patent pending Flip Door ™ clicks to 45 and 90 degrees upon a twist giving you access to quickly load material while on-the-go. The coil assembly simply slides out from the base for your convenience when you want to replace a coil.

Features 3 Different Coil Types

Dual Quartz Coil-Quickfire Coil, Power at the tip of your finger. All day vape, optimizing your battery function to give you long lasting power.

Dual Quartz Clapton Coil-Maximized surface area for maximum hit, utilizing lower temperature for smoother hits draws.

Single Quartz Clapton Coil-Optimized power and surface area for optimal flavor. Designed for instant hit.

DAbOX™ features an innovative quick change atomizer. Never let a pen tell you what to enjoy.

With the DAbOX™ you decide!

Dabox_02.png

I don't see anything about variable wattage or temp settings. Is this just a full on/off battery or what?

I don't see anything about variable wattage or temp settings. Is this just a full on/off battery or what?

Hey Baron23,

Thank you for your interest in the Dabox!

Yes. There is no need for temperature control or any complicated settings with the Dabox because it is designed for simple, instant hits for a satisfying user experience. The power and overall temperature is different with each type of coil we have available. Overall temperature during use will depend on your material, but will generally be around the temperature of vaporization of the actual material (around 300 - 400 F). When you use the DAbOX, you will enjoy the simplicity of getting the flavor and intensity of vapor production by simply popping in the coil of your choice, and inhale while pressing the power button.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask:)

Thank you,

Ivan
CSR

Hey Baron23,

Thank you for your interest in the Dabox!

Yes. There is no need for temperature control or any complicated settings with the Dabox because it is designed for simple, instant hits for a satisfying user experience. The power and overall temperature is different with each type of coil we have available. Overall temperature during use will depend on your material, but will generally be around the temperature of vaporization of the actual material (around 300 - 400 F). When you use the DAbOX, you will enjoy the simplicity of getting the flavor and intensity of vapor production by simply popping in the coil of your choice, and inhale while pressing the power button.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask:)

Thank you,

Ivan
CSR
This sounds to me like an unusually shaped pen that offers less than what most of the pens out there offer these days.

I loathe anything I've ever used with quartz coils in a pen. Quartz coils taste vile to my palate and make an awful mess of the dab, spattering it all over the inside of the cart. I have found myself wondering how anybody tolerates quartz coils whenever I have used them, such an unsatisfying experience IME even compared to some of the ceramic coiled pens that I was using 5 years ago.

Given that there is no temp control and only quartz coils here, this looks like a hard pass for me. I don't know about the cost of the product, but most of the other pens on the market - even some of the cheap ones - provide better features like temp control and coil-less/non-quartz coils carts (which almost all work better than quartz coils IME). :twocents:

I helped beta test the Dabox and found the shape and interface to be an improvement over the pen-shape.
The swing out coil makes it remarkably easy to load. I'll be launching a full review pretty soon.
I'll be interested in hearing how you like it.

this looks like a hard pass for me
That's why there is no such thing as 'the best' vape. Everybody has their own needs and wants in a vape. :idon'tknow:

I'll be interested in hearing how you like it.

That's why there is no such thing as 'the best' vape. Everybody has their own needs and wants in a vape. :idon'tknow:
It is more that in order to bring some additional features which do have some attractiveness to some users, they are removing features that have proven to be absolutely indispensible when it comes to performance and flavor in pens - temperature control (TC) being chiefest among them.

If anybody here has used a temperature controlled mod with a dab pen cartridge, they'll appreciate that TC renders old unregulated and even variable voltage/wattage pens (which allow user control over power output and hence heat) obsolete.

Unregulated dab pens mean that you can't control how much power is released by anything other than how long you hold the button. IME unregulated pens either get large clouds with terrible flavor (especially with quartz coils) or minimal clouds with better flavor at the start of the bowl, but fucking awful flavor by the time you get half way through that load. Good flavor is even more challenging to achieve with quartz coils too, I have found in the past that even with VW/VV pens, I could not get satisfactory low temp flavor with single, nor dual quartz coils, even on the lowest settings.

Another issue is that this system, due to the new form factor (which I agree, has benefits!), will be incompatible with Temperature Controlled mod batteries or even VW/VV pens. There is no possibility of after-market purchases to allow for temp control. You must choose: Do you want the dabox shape, or do you want what is almost certainly the most important development in the dab pen space in years - temperature control?

I haven't bought a pen that didn't have TC or VV/VW for 3 years. My contentions can be summarized as follows: Why do we need to take such a giant leap backwards in order to try a new shape in a pen? To me, the new shape could be appealing. However; proprietary, quartz only coils and locking the user out of any possibility of temp/voltage/wattage control are just unjustifiable costs for the new shape IMO.

I know that pens are an impenetrable ecosystem for a lot of vaporists, in no small part due to all of these extra abbreviations and discussions of watts and ohms etc and the undeniably dizzying array of different pens on the market these days. That is why this post is something that I felt needed to be expressed more clearly as I have hopefully done here.

I have been so emphatic on these points because it has become very apparent to me through using enails before pens even had temperature control (and has only become clearer since), that temp control is as crucial to flavor and quality of vapor as the material that the dabbing surface is made out of!

The problem for me with the dabox is this locks you into an ecosystem that forces the user to forfeit TC or even VV/VW functionality and limits them to what IME are the absolute worst kinds of pen carts available (quartz coils).

Even if it offered the best kinds of carts available today, I'd still say that this unit is inexcusable in this day and age because of the complete lack of temp control/VV/VW.

IME pens without TC or at least VV/VW functionality are only going to suit people who are using bad tasting oil/reclaim, since those who have oil that tastes good are going to sacrifice an unjustifiable amount of flavor with the dabox vs TC mods and/or other kinds of atomizers. I feel like I'm wasting my rosin when I put it into a non-TC pen, even using coil-less carts like the Puffco+ or Source Orb 4 nail atomizers - which are universally better than coiled carts.

I should concede that clapton coils on quartz may benefit the user by reducing the spatter issue with quartz coils. However, it also increases the amount of metal surface area that will wick the oil and so it is possible that more of the oil would vaporize in contact with the hot metal, rather than the quartz.

Obviously, the manufacturer is already bringing this product to market, but if I could make any suggestions they would be as follows:

1. Add reliable temperature control functionality to the battery.
2. Develop or acquire new coil-less cartridge designs and even coiled designs that do not use quartz (black ceramic coils tend to provide the best performance/flavor IME, they wick and hold, rather than spatter the oil, and they spread heat more evenly, tasting better than quartz). If all you have are quartz coils, you've lost a demographic of potential buyers from the outset.

I think that the shape of this pen is a good idea for ease of use in a number of ways, and the longer (than a lot of other dab pens) vapor path over glass could really smooth out the hits. Still, the product needs the above features in order to make this pen competitive with what is already on the market now. :peace:

I agree on temp control. I think it's important and extremely helpful.

I don't know about absolutely essential though. I think it's a feature that matters to many, but not all.
In the case of the Dabox, temp is controlled by pulsing the button.

I don't know about absolutely essential though. I think it's a feature that matters to many, but not all.
In the case of the Dabox, temp is controlled by pulsing the button.
All of what I said above took this into account man. I've used pens where temp is 'controlled' (very approximately!) by pulsing the button for three of the first five years. I refuse to use such pens anymore, since the flavor is simply nowhere near as good with temp regulation. Please understand I am using full melt and rosin (also distillates from bubble hash) only, and my concentrates are connoisseur quality - one wants to have only the best tasting and most efficient vape possible for such an application. This means that TC is a must for people like me. IME even the best rosin tastes like ass on an unregulated quartz coil except for the very beginning of the load. It also spatters everywhere and is very inefficient as a result.

For you, depending on what you use; you may not be so concerned about temp control. This could especially be true if your dabs are less tasty to your palate to begin with due to how they were extracted, or maybe just a variety that has a taste that you find disagreeable (the same extracts do not taste good to all of us!).

I am not saying anything negative about your stash of course: I understand that not everybody can access nothing but flower rosin and full melt all the time, and tbh I only can because I make them myself.

I acknowledge that people use cannabis that may not taste so pleasant to them subjectively as well, because I know that I do sometimes (e.g. some material that I have lately carries and anise/menthol flavor that I do not particularly like, but is still great medicine for my needs, so I still take that of course)!

I still use one of my old non TC 510 batteries with dual black ceramic rod coils (note: still not quartz!) for quick large hits of reclaim only (usually this is kept beside my bed for insomnia), if that illustrates my position. Basically YMMV (your meds may vary), accordingly, we'll each use a pen that suits.

What I'm trying to say is that increasing numbers of us are looking for TC only in a pen now. As such, if one wants to appeal to the market as it currently stands with a new pen shape, all I'm saying is that they'd do well to provide the features that we expect these days.

I know a lot of my pen only people (those who do not use enails predominately like me) are very strongly of the view that no TC = no deal. A few of them have held that view long before I did. I was relatively late to the TC party because I prefer enails to pens.

Until TC came about, my many pens gathered dust as flavor/cloud production was just not good enough. When it finally came, I took a while to believe that TC would make a big enough different to make pens justifiable to use in my case. This should also illustrate how strongly I feel that pens are inferior for concentrate use vs high end sapphire/SiC enails - these are precisely the products that have inspired my discriminating taste.

Again, there might be some who would still put up with and purchase a non TC pen, I'm just saying that many of us expect more now since the market has started to move away from unregulated pens for a long time (many of them IME are at least VV/VW now). :peace:

No need to justify your opinions, sir.
Also no need to separate the quality of our consumables in order to warrant (or discredit?) the differing opinions ;)

I understand your history and your preference. I like temp control too.

You see TC as a requirement.
I see TC as a feature that separates the types of people that will buy.
Some people want to open the coil, drop a dab, and rip away.

No need to justify your opinions, sir.
I'm a scientist brother, I don't have the constitution for unjustified opinions :dog:

Also no need to separate the quality of our consumables in order to warrant (or discredit?) the differing opinions ;)
That is exactly the opposite of what I said above man. What I'm saying is that the kind and quality of concentrates is IME absolutely a relevant factor on whether an individual will mind having temp control or not. There is definitely a need to consider these qualities of the concentrate being used when deciding whether an unregulated pen might be acceptable for use.

The reason is simple: If you slightly overheat (because of unregulated power delivery) a concentrate just enough to degrade the flavor some, you won't notice the flavor loss so much if your starting material had less flavor in it to begin with (ie: lower terp containing concentrates). If you slightly overheat a much tastier, terpier concentrate in the same setup, the reduction in flavor quality of the vapor is comparatively much more noticeable. For these concentrates, IME one should avoid using a vape that does not give temp control. IME, even VV/VW batteries are best left alone with more flavorful concentrates in favor of TC power delivery.

I accept that different people will accept varying degrees of flavor loss regardless of the concentrate used too, but the above still stands and will be relevant to many of us. The qualities (consistency/flavor/content/etc) of the concentrate that you are dabbing very much has a role in determining what you look for in a vaporizer!

This info above is especially relevant as more of us are able to make rosin very easily. All of a sudden, there's a lot more concentrate out there that is going to be too tasty to use on something that might overheat the dab.

Some people want to open the coil, drop a dab, and rip away.
This can be done with TC mods too?

Last edited:
I'm a scientist brother, I don't have the constitution for unjustified opinions :dog:

Right. I never questioned the science behind your opinion. I apologize if it came out that way.
I'm just saying that there are different vapes for different levels of users. You've graduated on to advanced vapes, but some people may prefer simpler ones.
It doesn't matter why.
This thread is about a simpler vape. It doesn't have TC, and I'm sure everyone who knows what TC is will acknowledge that and move on.

For the others, the rest of the thread can be for them - or at least for discussions specific to this vape?

The swing out coil is a nifty feature. And while we all agree that no coil of this type is going to equal the flavor of a SIC, I think there will be those that this vape will appeal to; especially starting at this price point. There are definitely 'different vapes for different levels of users.' Temperature control is a great feature, and perhaps something that Vivant will consider in the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing your review @420vapezone .

The swing out coil is a nifty feature. And while we all agree that no coil of this type is going to equal the flavor of a SIC, I think there will be those that this vape will appeal to; especially starting at this price point. There are definitely 'different vapes for different levels of users.' Temperature control is a great feature, and perhaps something that Vivant will consider in the future.
Agreed, I gave my feedback here suggesting temp control and other options for atomizers, rather than just ignoring and moving on (as I would with other vapes that don't suit my needs because I think) because Vivant appear to have paid attention to customer feedback in the past and attempted to resolve deal-breaking issues to expand their appeal. I know they have made attempts to resolve issues with the Alternate after feedback was given from the community, although I am not sure if those have been fully resolved or not (it was a while ago so there is every chance!).

I should have clarified my main comparison to the quartz coils is not with SiC e-nails here (that's a very unfair comparison lol). I am comparing dual black ceramic coils like these:
Omicron_v4_Oil_Vaporizer_Dual_Coil_Titanium_Grade_2_View__43273.1454658825.1280.1280__52387.1458778400.1280.1280.jpg

Which do not cause spatter, wicking the oil into the ceramic. They also taste much better.

Also I am comparing with coil-less coils such as these:

home-plus-coil_product_d506321d-0fd2-401a-a71d-3845322e96c2.png

Both alternative types of coils provide much more flavor with much less spatter and therefore more efficient vaporization of the oil placed in there. Additionally, the dual black ceramic coils pictured above are much better at getting clouds quickly than dual quartz coils, which IME spatter way too much with unregulated power/higher variable voltage/wattage settings.

One more thing, on the cost comparisons. There are currently available cheaper products than the Dabox ($59.95 according to Vivant above) that include variable wattage/voltage and better coils out of the box, the entry level Omicron V4 which ships with the first cart pictured above retails for $55.95 from the manufacturer. Cheaper options with much tastier, less spattery/wasteful coils and at least variable wattage/voltage can already be had. In the case of the omicron v4, I suggest just buying the carts from those pens (not the battery) and using a TC mod them. A cheap TC mod and Omicron v4 cartridge/mouthpiece combo can be purchased for $20 or so more than the dabox (~$80 or so plus shipping).

A reliable entry level TC mod with a Puffco+ 510 cartridge can be had for slightly less money, ~$70-75 if you shop around online! That is a better atomizer than the omicron v4 cartridge pictured above too!

In the case of the omicron v4, there is no need for me to request that the manufacturer introduce TC features because their atomizers are already readily compatible with other existing TC batteries and available for purchase separately. In the case of the dabox, Vivant would need to include TC in their own battery to provide that functionality, since the atomizer and mouthpiece of the dabox is not compatible with existing TC products.

This is why I said the above. Again, I am really not wanting to be argumentative or bash anything at all here, I just thought that this all needed to be understood, both for any newcomers to pens, and also for the manufacturer. There are so many pens out there, and sadly, I've been disappointed with more of what I've tried than the number that have left me satisfied. This is why I attempt to provide this feedback to those manufacturers who do listen to feedback. I wanna see a better pen market on the whole.

Also I wanna make it extra clear that I have absolutely nothing at all against Vivant. I actually really want to see new shaped pens like this one entering the market, hell, I'd like to buy something shaped like this! I just wanna make sure that I'm not giving up more beneficial innovations that my existing pens already offered at a lower price a year or two ago in order to get that new size/shape of pen :twocents:

I'm sure what I'm saying is clear enough now though, so I will leave you guys to discussion of the product as it currently stands, and hope that in future, Vivant can incorporate my suggestions so that I might have an opportunity to join in :peace:

Portable-Wax-Vaporizer.jpg

Here's my dabox review so far. I grabbed one on impulse, at the end of the pre-order. I am planning on making my way to modular devices, but I don't have everything in place for mod school yet so I thought this would make a nice stopgap.

I've tried all three coils and they do perform differently. First all I had was shatter, so I stuck a small piece on the dual quartz and the flavor quickly degraded. It really does have a hair-trigger, but this is coil-dependent because the power applied to the coil is regulated by the resistance of the coil. The dual quartz has .5ohm resistance, and is described as having a 'quick fire' feature with all-day battery optimization. So it fires hot, then slopes down to preserve power. I didn't like the taste of this coil very much, even the next day when I put some wax in it. The flavor improved a little bit, but not that much because of the probably burnt shatter. I did try to be careful with the trigger but yeah. This coil would be better with oils.

Next up I tried the dual clapton with the wax, it has a .25ohm resistance setting and utilizes lower temperatures. The taste was much smoother, idk about good but it was way better than it was with the dual quartz. I could get used to this one.

Now I've got the single clapton going with the wax. It also has .25ohm resistance and it's described as being designed for instant hits. So it's pretty fast too, but the taste is still better than with the quartz. It's basically the same as the double clapton with less capacity so the extraction time is twice as fast, according to simple math. My experience confirms.

:private: Here's a slightly-animated image that shows & describes the different coils for the vivante dabox.

I love how small and pocketable the dabox is, and the price is right considering that it includes a battery. The packaging is attractive and clean, not overblown. The battery life seems very good, as I haven't had to re-charge yet and I started using it almost a week ago. I really like the visual feedback light, because besides changing color based on battery condition, it also provides a great view of the instantly-available vapor this thing cranks out through its glass vapor chamber/mouthpiece. The quick-change coil system is simple & convenient, just the way it should be. The all-metal body feels sturdy enough to drive small nails with, if one was so inclined. I'd advise removing the glass chamber first before trying to do this.

I only have two gripes, which considering the price and convenience this offers aren't deal-breakers by any means.

While I love the form factor, the ergonomics are a little off. What I'm saying is that it's awkward to use the dabox one-handed, if you want to actually view the illuminated vapor you are inhaling, which as I described above, is one of dabox's coolest features. The issue is the fire button is on the opposite side of the viewing chamber. So if you have the chamber facing outward, which is required for viewing by the user or others observing, the trigger is basically pressing against the webbing of the hand between the thumb & index finger. This means it's easy to misfire, and awkward to fire. It's hard to describe, but I find myself needing to use both hands to press the button and view the vapor at the same time.

The other thing is the silicon splash guard that seals the glass chamber to the metal body. I would have rather seen some kind of looser screen, that would be made out of /part of the glass vapor tube. There would have to be an o-ring to seal it against the metal, but we'd be vaping through all glass instead of silicon, and would just need to have an extra to soak. The silicon doesn't show any signs of heat degradation yet, but it does get clogged pretty easily so it needs constant cleaning, meaning it will wear out. For these reasons, I feel that vivante should include a backup splash guard in the package.

The standard package does include both double coils; the single was thrown in with the pre-order deal and I'm glad they did, as I do prefer the clapton coils with this device so far. Replacement coils are $5 each, and will be available in 3-packs. There's a usb charging cable, and there's a pretty nice small glass dab tool in there too. They've also included some small silicon cups, that seal up the spare coil/atomizer thingies like tupperware containers. I'm thinking that these could be used to make up pre-loaded coils, for consuming later or elsewhere. These cups could also be useful for odor control.

I'll come back when I've run the coils through some cleaning rituals, but for now this is what I've got. I'm pretty new at concentrates in general, but I feel that I've got a decent handle on the dabox. It's part of a small niche that includes and competes with tiny mods & rebuildable atomizers. This is simpler to use out of the box than those, but less versatile.

:science:

Last edited:
@420vapezone great review! And thanks for the shout out in it and the mention of your giveaways. :biggrin:

I had to laugh at your 'that's a lot' comment.... you're just the guy for the job! God I love watching people get high... :dog:

Hey guys, I just launched my review video (for the 2nd time today) and it includes a giveaway.

I have 3 extra DaBoxes to give away!

Thanks, man!

"less than half left"....HAHAHA...yeah, a lot less!! LOL

Sticky batter is hard to scrape onto pen coils but I think it is wonderful for sticking into a banger or nail as it will stay on your tool. Crumbly consistency is what tends to drive me crazy. hahaha

So, thanks for the review but I have a question. At some point that air path will need to be cleaned. Does it come out?

And did you get any dripping of concentrate from the coil down into the base? Can you ISO soak the base?

Thanks again.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back