Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Extraction Dabpress Rosin Plates

This is my cheap way to increase the size of ny pressure gauge,
1566026687348.png

Press day for me today, gonna turn 20g of flower into oil then jar up the collection and run it on our 7x7" sauce plate in a sealed glass jar. I am hunting the appropriate sized jar now as I am only gonna have maybe 2g of oil to work with. Figured out how to do time lapse video with my camera, so should have a video of something in the next day or so.

Hopefully my material will work!

Press day for me today, gonna turn 20g of flower into oil then jar up the collection and run it on our 7x7" sauce plate in a sealed glass jar. I am hunting the appropriate sized jar now as I am only gonna have maybe 2g of oil to work with. Figured out how to do time lapse video with my camera, so should have a video of something in the next day or so.

Hopefully my material will work!
Interested in this process....

Time lapse video in progress, the memory on the camera has 2 days of video :biggrin: Sauce plate set at 110F, 2.3g of rosin in 1oz glass jar (wish I had 1/2 or 1/4oz glass jars but also not sure if my camera can get that close up to a small jar like that. The video may or may not give enough detail, we'll see.

20190818_092741.jpg

20190818_092718.jpg

I got almost 12% yield off my 3mo jar cured auto orange bud using 90u 2x4" filters, used the 30mm puck maker for 5g load x2 per squish. Using around 1300 PSI at the bag (2750 PSI on gauge) for 2x 30mm pucks. 200F for 2 mins. This stuff still pretty much autobudders while pressing, the first squish had some driptech action the second one just buddered at the mouth.

20190818_095023.jpg

20190818_095247.jpg

20190818_095419.jpg

20190818_100844.jpg

20190818_101057.jpg

20190818_101155.jpg

Attachments

• 20190818_093436.jpg
    20190818_093436.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 74
Did a kief squish today
Rather successful :)

3g hand packed into the bag and cut to size and fold over
Leftover can be used for another squish

1 min at 2000 on gauge then 2500 till 2 mins then 3000 till 2.5 mins and 3500 till 3 mins

I think 3000 was the magic number and 3500 just a bit over
Rosin was fine and no major blowout, but a tiny seep where the seam was folded

Rosin didn't drip at all but reached every edge to point of dripping
Was the most shattery to collect I've made and had to be more cautious dabbing up so as not to lose rosin

Was honey to beer bottle coloured
Very glass like in appearance and nature
Looks like a bit of broken beer bottle washed up on the shore and sanded smooth by the sand/ocean

Taste is top marks
Sweeter and less peppery than some of the other squishes

Nice yield too
I could have tried the resquish but just went with one and threw in the puck jar
Looked mostly spent

Much better yields and quality doing kief in the dabpress than the slug
Cleaner result

I got 1.3g from 3g of kief so my cackalacka says thats about 43-44% return
I'm happy with thems apples

20190819_165423.jpg
20190819_165430.jpg
20190819_184602.jpg

Nicely done @felvapes! The rosin looks very good. Was this grinder kief or sifted kief?

BTW, my sauce plate test is being postponed. What I have right now is a paste, it's not melting, I upped the temperature to 120F and that didn't help. I wanna experiment further with more sappy starting material so this auto orange bud, at least for learning, is not a good candidate how I pressed it out.

I did a dab of it this morning. It didnt lose any flavor, so I'm not too worried about going too long with it on heat, I just want to make sure when I retry it out at higher temps I can be awake to monitor it. More to come on that.

Nicely done @felvapes! The rosin looks very good. Was this grinder kief or sifted kief?

BTW, my sauce plate test is being postponed. What I have right now is a paste, it's not melting, I upped the temperature to 120F and that didn't help. I wanna experiment further with more sappy starting material so this auto orange bud, at least for learning, is not a good candidate how I pressed it out.

I did a dab of it this morning. It didnt lose any flavor, so I'm not too worried about going too long with it on heat, I just want to make sure when I retry it out at higher temps I can be awake to monitor it. More to come on that.
Bit of both
But mostly grinder kief
Best results I've had squishing kief and I've always enjoyed doing so

I am interested in what you are doing with your sauce experiment as I don't fully understand what you are doing there

Bit of both
But mostly grinder kief
Best results I've had squishing kief and I've always enjoyed doing so

I am interested in what you are doing with your sauce experiment as I don't fully understand what you are doing there

That is great to hear, do you also know your micron size of your kief screen in your grinder? I bet it turned out great. I only have a 2 piece grinder so when I do vape flower I never have any kief =/

What I was hoping to do was take the rosin and heat it to the point where it melted the oil, then allowed crystals to form (this actually happened on it's own before melting), and also evaporate and recondense the terpenes to form seperate layers in the jar with the bottom portion being the THCa crystals sand, and the layers above being the terpenes or "sauce". Then I could mix it into a wet sand consistancy to dab, sorta like a wet budder.

Well, my material turned out to be pretty much budder-paste. Not enough terpenes perhaps? I had wondered that about my last flowers grown with some synthetic nutrients, they have terps but nowhere near what I am used to from prior runs. That being said I do know I can get more of a sap consistancy but it almost gets close to a shatter state after it sits for a day, which I am not a fan of, but I need to give that a test out as well. So far I think auto budder strains are going to need more heat, similar to what I see on my nail. The sap always melts off so fast but budders tend to stay on the dabber another second or so.

20190819_133140.jpg
20190819_133330.jpg
20190819_133442.jpg

I'm still learning about it, definitely interesting to mess with, will be better when I see success :smile:

That is great to hear, do you also know your micron size of your kief screen in your grinder? I bet it turned out great. I only have a 2 piece grinder so when I do vape flower I never have any kief =/

What I was hoping to do was take the rosin and heat it to the point where it melted the oil, then allowed crystals to form (this actually happened on it's own before melting), and also evaporate and recondense the terpenes to form seperate layers in the jar with the bottom portion being the THCa crystals sand, and the layers above being the terpenes or "sauce". Then I could mix it into a wet sand consistancy to dab, sorta like a wet budder.

Well, my material turned out to be pretty much budder-paste. Not enough terpenes perhaps? I had wondered that about my last flowers grown with some synthetic nutrients, they have terps but nowhere near what I am used to from prior runs. That being said I do know I can get more of a sap consistancy but it almost gets close to a shatter state after it sits for a day, which I am not a fan of, but I need to give that a test out as well. So far I think auto budder strains are going to need more heat, similar to what I see on my nail. The sap always melts off so fast but budders tend to stay on the dabber another second or so.

View attachment 12240View attachment 12241View attachment 12242

I'm still learning about it, definitely interesting to mess with, will be better when I see success :smile:
I don't know the micron size no
Now that I'm making rosin it will take me forever to collect kief again though...lol

Ah okay, cheers for the explanation, interesting process
Will watch your progress as you go

I did aa melt of my bubble run at 65 degrees in my ultrasonic cleaner with the puck on top of the lid, changed the consistency and put the product into layers, the top is almost shatter, then oil followed by grainy peanut butter. When I stick a hot dabber in it pulls and snaps and will leave a streak of goo behind with all three consistencies.
I popped the puck into another so you can see the peanut butter at the bottom.
Top,
IMG_20190816_193623.jpg

Bottom,
IMG_20190820_141514.jpg

I ended up with 5.06g so 54.7% return

Sort of looks like what goes as crumble at the dispensaries... Looks yummy. Do you taste a lack of terpenes? Does it dab well?

I think this last batch is not as flavorful as other grows. It does indeed dab well enough! Yields are bunk though glad to have some non autos next.

My big silicone mat arrived today
Is as you describe @LesPlenty , the mat is thin but large and perfect for the use I need
If too quick/rough you can have it try to bunch when tipping the DP but most of the time it stays as is and stops the DP sliding when tipping for driptech

Cheers for the link mate happy with it for the job at hand
Quick post from Sydley

Also got my DHgate silicone ends for dab tools
Really helpful to have one dab tool on hand with silicone tips for holding a glob down while grabbing a dab or to move it around without having rosin stick to your tool
Just nice to have both stick and non stick tools at hand when collecting or dabbing

20190821_154758.jpg
20190821_154752.jpg
20190821_154812.jpg

I find the following good for stopping the silicon mat from bunching;
These M4 Stainless steel eyebolts replace the rrubber feet, I am just prototyping to get everything correct before upgrading to all s/s and getting a couple of legs cut to replace the timber( M10 threaded rod and nuts).
Works sweet;
IMG_20190821_171107.jpg

One handed operation now;
IMG_20190821_171048.jpg

Just needs a couple of longer M4 allen head bolts with nuts and washers to make the front feet a little longer and with less washers!

I find the following good for stopping the silicon mat from bunching;
These M4 Stainless steel eyebolts replace the rrubber feet, I am just prototyping to get everything correct before upgrading to all s/s and getting a couple of legs cut to replace the timber( M10 threaded rod and nuts).
Works sweet;
View attachment 12286

One handed operation now;
View attachment 12287

Just needs a couple of longer M4 allen head bolts with nuts and washers to make the front feet a little longer and with less washers!
I'm pretty much one handed now, but I like that frame you have made
Good idea to help swivel the press, very nice thinking mate
I shall consider something similar I think :)

Been post processing my rosin for testing using our 7x7" terp sauce plate. I've tried 2 different strains and I feel like the material that budders up rather quickly if not immediately requires a different process than if you have more sappy or runny material.

I pressed out some skunk #1 auto flower at 210F in 160u filter, with a consistency mixture of budder and a shatter. Bud is over 3 months cured in jars. I have to run the PID on the terp plate controller about 20F hotter as my set temp than what I wish to achieve at the base of the jar. This is due in part to how the jars are designed, they don't rest flat like say a beaker would. Unfortunately I dont have any flat glass bottom jars with screw on lids so it is what it is, no matter, it all works the same so long as you know your jar floor temp. I chose a PID temp of 160F to achieve about 140F on the jar, this temp was needed to melt the rosin, and it melted very, very slowly. Temps will vary based on material. The higher temps will decarboxylate your oil faster, so it pays to be mindful of the time.

The rosin started off in a 0.84g ball, pretty hard, I guess pull and snap consistency with the emphasis more on snap. Sorry I didnt get a pre-picture, but it looked like a little cloudy ball of glass, definitely not a crystalline type consistency. I put the ball of rosin in the middle of the jar and tightened the cap then onto the sauce plate.

After about 5 hours on the plate, it was time for bed so I took it off to avoid it fully decarboxylating while I slept. This morning I opened the jar for the first time to get a look. So far this is looking a lot like it just muffined up sort of like what BHO does while in a vacuum. Those spots on the bottom look like crystals and there may be there but those large voids appear to be air bubbles. I haven't stirred it as I want to see how long it takes to decarboxylate so will run it again for part 2 this afternoon while I can babysit it.

The consistency has definitely changed, the jar still smells stinky so I guess I'll have to have a dab towards the end of this experiment before it's decarb'd then again after. Color hasn't changed much.

20190829_073538.jpg

20190829_072008.jpg
20190829_072020.jpg

Last edited:
My last 3 squishes I have had blow outs at 15 - 2000 and only early in the press
Quite big blowouts too where I have had to stop and then repress, but it gets not as good in the 2nd press and more plant matter as it's loose

Not sure why, I don't get to put too much pressure on or time under pressure
The rosin collected from the first 30 - 50 seconds is very nice quality

Just not the full yields

Then the second press is dirtier and greener as no bag

Annoying, not sure what is happening though
I've done 3 in the last week and a half with the same results

My last 3 squishes I have had blow outs at 15 - 2000 and only early in the press
Quite big blowouts too where I have had to stop and then repress, but it gets not as good in the 2nd press and more plant matter as it's loose

Not sure why, I don't get to put too much pressure on or time under pressure
The rosin collected from the first 30 - 50 seconds is very nice quality

Just not the full yields

Then the second press is dirtier and greener as no bag

Annoying, not sure what is happening though
I've done 3 in the last week and a half with the same results

Same material and amount loaded as previous runs? You may want to lower the amount by a gram and see if that changes anything. Ususally when it's not the pressure applied, it's the amount loaded IME.

Same material and amount loaded as previous runs? You may want to lower the amount by a gram and see if that changes anything. Ususally when it's not the pressure applied, it's the amount loaded IME.
Everything has been exactly the same
I'm not sure what is happening

I thought after today's effort I would try a smaller press next round
I'll try 9 g next round and see what happens

@felvapes , were they normal 2.5" pucks sewn one end and folded on the other?
Can you tell which end blew out, did it also rip your parchment paper as well?
Bad luck either way.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back