Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Extraction Dabpress Rosin Plates

New bags arrived the other day
Cheers @psychonaut

Two squishes in and no bursts :)
Also properly dried bud

Happily squishing clean rosin again
Definitely a difference with the clean rosin

No matter how clean it looks and you pick out the plant matter if the bag bursts (or with the slug no bags) the rosin tastes a bit dirtier and also I cough the tiniest bit of black in the morning, most likely plant matter

Much cleaner and smoother with a non burst bag as I noticed when I first got the dab press

I have also been using a mighty pad in a cap to wipe my dab tool post dab like @LesPlenty suggested
Great idea
I think Iet this first one go a bit long before Vaping it.......chucked in my mighty at 410 from the start and wow, what a sesh....

Nice and tasty vapour decent clouds and a smooth hit
The sesh went for ages though and I'm pretty smashed
Little rosin bomb
Good for you! I'm so pleased you got new bags. It sounds like the problem is solved, and there are good times ahead.

I have also been using a mighty pad in a cap to wipe my dab tool post dab
I was thinking a S&B caddy with 8x caps with the concentrate pads will be purchased soon.
Two squishes in and no bursts :)
Great news!
I look forward to some more pics of nice runs instead of those blowouts.

Finally got around to pressing some newer bud, bottled May this year, 62% Boveda and O2 absorb satchels, 10g in 120 seconds from on plates to finish at 75c (167f) 2500psi on gauge(applied slowly for first 90 seconds while heat soaking) return of 1.2g. Pressed again longer and hotter to get another 0.68g so a total of just under 20%(18.7%)...sounds familiar, it was a lot lighter in color than the older stuff and was oily while hot off the plate but soon changed to pull and snap and was easy to collect.
On the chisel (2nd press at 221f),
IMG_20190923_173809.jpg

In the puck (mostly, first press at 167f)),
IMG_20190923_173730.jpg

Edit... forgot to weigh the first 2 blobs that came off the press (I keep them aside on the first press) found another 0.21g in the baby puck for a nice 2.08g or 20.8% return!

Last edited:
How yesterdays rosin looks today (after sitting at 50c for an hour to flatten the loads for easier dosing),

IMG_20190924_155432.jpg

Green puck = first drips off the press
Grey puck = main collection, 1st press
Purple/yellow puck = 2nd press

Back to some 15 months cured bud, BattleTech, ist press at 77C, 2,5 mins total(1 min preheat as pressure is taken up slowly on puck) 2500psi(gauge) for 1.48g.
Repress at 105c, 2 mins total, 3000psi(gauge) for 0.56g more for a total of 2.04g or 20.4% return, the extra 250psi seemed to squeeze a little more out to crack the 20% mark with the old stuff.
First press top, second press lower (an hour on top of my ultrasonic cleaner that has the temp set at 50C flattens and conditions the rosin a little for easier dosing),
IMG_20190928_180937.jpg

The white crumble from the 'not so old' buds is easier for loading in portables as it is a lot less sticky, the pull'n'snap consistency is easier to use on the DNail Halo, don't have to be as careful as it will not fall off the dabber.
All Incredible Bulk, from the same mother plant.

Here is the last of the blonde crumble in my Longmada Motar with a 4mm Boro Comet from DNail, tastes as good as it looks,
IMG_20190929_212645.jpg

Need to find some smaller terp balls that aren't boro or worse!

I have just replaced all the hardware on my tilt kit for my Dabpress with stainless steel, no more hot dipped gal powder. I even replaced the allen bolts that hold the rubber feet on the front so it is all nice and level.
I used slim half nuts to lock things in place. I will just use it for a while while I work out what I want to replace the treated pine legs with...hmmm, maybe Huon Pine!
IMG_20191004_174702.jpg

IMG_20191004_175008.jpg

Did my normal 10g puck for 19.3% and had a bit left in the jar so I crammed that into a 40mm puck, it was 15.4g and I returned 2.31g

So I had been saving up my grinder kief for quite a while now(2 years) but was told I may as well vape it, I tried a few 'Extra Dirty' dabs but was not overly impressed with the vape of the cleanup,

IMG_20191009_190951.jpg

I thought 'bugger it' and thought I may as well play with it in the press, I had just under 10g of starting material (might have been closer to 10g but I have been using it liberally for a few days now),

IMG_20191011_182222.jpg

I did a small flat pack envelope first up, 77 at 1500psi for 90 seconds total,

IMG_20191012_164318.jpg

I took too long taking the picture and by the time I went to collect the rosin it was very brittle shatter so no more psychoanalysis pictures.
I repressed the same puck at the same temp with a bit more pressure then did a bottle tech squish with the rest the same way but up to 2500psi.
Every squish looked like a similar product, dark and oily but soon all shatter...blacky tacky, 1.60g all up from the 9.45g starting point so not a great return for the effort,

IMG_20191012_181354.jpg

I have it pooling on my heat pad at 40c, hopefully, it will look better in the sunlight.

I had a few puffs on the edges of the pucks with my terp pen and it is oily black tar when hot...still medicated very well but is not as nice as bubble hash rosin, I need to look into making a micron mesh trim table for sifting collection.

I suppose I may as well pull the mesh out of my grinders now I have access to real hash, why bother.

So I had been saving up my grinder kief for quite a while now(2 years) but was told I may as well vape it, I tried a few 'Extra Dirty' dabs but was not overly impressed with the vape of the cleanup,

View attachment 13707

I thought 'bugger it' and thought I may as well play with it in the press, I had just under 10g of starting material (might have been closer to 10g but I have been using it liberally for a few days now),

View attachment 13708

I did a small flat pack envelope first up, 77 at 1500psi for 90 seconds total,

View attachment 13709

I took too long taking the picture and by the time I went to collect the rosin it was very brittle shatter so no more psychoanalysis pictures.
I repressed the same puck at the same temp with a bit more pressure then did a bottle tech squish with the rest the same way but up to 2500psi.
Every squish looked like a similar product, dark and oily but soon all shatter...blacky tacky, 1.60g all up from the 9.45g starting point so not a great return for the effort,

View attachment 13710

I have it pooling on my heat pad at 40c, hopefully, it will look better in the sunlight.

I had a few puffs on the edges of the pucks with my terp pen and it is oily black tar when hot...still medicated very well but is not as nice as bubble hash rosin, I need to look into making a micron mesh trim table for sifting collection.

I suppose I may as well pull the mesh out of my grinders now I have access to real hash, why bother.
I wonder if you have lost goodness in the two years

I've read in a year you can lose quite a bit

From kief I often get close to 40-50% return
You should have got lots more back from 10g

I have never saved it that long
I with a slug would save up to 2-2.5 g and squish

With the press I did one squish at 2 g and got a big return
Post somewhere above

I also have found in slug and dabpress kief to produce peanut butter type light stuff very quickly and easily
Not too dark
And is often very tasty too

Even when I used to vape kief at the start of vaping it was not bubble hash quality but it tasted nice enough

But since the slug it has been a great thing to squish

Only thing I can think is age?

The yield is the biggest thing I am surprised at, Esp with the quality of your bud and the yields you get there
I expected you to get 50+ % with kief and had been waiting for you to do a squish

EDIT
Also did you squish at higher temp than 77 C at all

I don't know but there is a huge loss in potential yield somewhere

I only ever save up a few g and press it
I'd keep the mesh in the grinders maybe and just save a few g and try that?

I also find usually I get pretty much everything out in the first press with kief
Repress usually doesn't give a lot like with bud

But my temps are higher than that in first press with kief in the past
And it doesn't need a long time to ooze out either

I have been doing lower temp.presses with bud and get more out of the repress at higher temp

But lose some yield over all doing a low temp first and high temp press 2nd

Last edited:
I did repress the kief at higher temps and the pressure ending at 221f and 3000psi. It all looked the same.
The warm sit has helped with consistency and there are now some caramel colors in the rosin, not just dark green/black and it is now pull'n'snap more than shatter (as usual with this strain),
IMG_20191013_125809.jpg

It still has that kief flavor but it is quite sharp/chirpy (cougherous if not careful) and still leaves the Sic Halo surface quite dirty after each dab.
It is still 'face melty' though so all good.
I still think I am going to ditch the grinder screens in favor of a micron screen work table for harvesting on to collect my kief as it takes too long to get enough to worry about with my grinders.
Good fun experimenting though.

I did repress the kief at higher temps and the pressure ending at 221f and 3000psi. It all looked the same.
The warm sit has helped with consistency and there are now some caramel colors in the rosin, not just dark green/black and it is now pull'n'snap more than shatter (as usual with this strain),
View attachment 13727

It still has that kief flavor but it is quite sharp/chirpy (cougherous if not careful) and still leaves the Sic Halo surface quite dirty after each dab.
It is still 'face melty' though so all good.
I still think I am going to ditch the grinder screens in favor of a micron screen work table for harvesting on to collect my kief as it takes too long to get enough to worry about with my grinders.
Good fun experimenting though.
I'd have a harvest screen and kief screen

I don't think you've experimented so much as done a one off unsuccessfully

The bad taste and the low yield is not usual for kief

I think it's age and gone stale or something

Pity, a large waste collecting so much good stuff and having it go bad and lose potency

I was looking forward to seeing the returns of your kief considering what you say you get from bud

Kief makes the best rosin with up to 50% return ime
Better than bud rosin

Only thing better would be bubble hash I think but I wouldn't waste bubble hash by pressing it

EDIT

Is the one squish I've done with the dabpress
About 44% I got back and was tasty and clean from 3g
Not cougherous

Honey to beer bottle coloured
Shattery to collect
Pull snap to dab
Clean and see through
Pretty much just rosin with no chlorophyll or waxes

I've got nearly two g saved again ready to squish

Last edited:
@felvpes, IOU 1.42g, I had a think and realised iI never re squashed the big bag at 221f!

The bad taste and the low yield is not usual for kief
The yield was 3.02g in the end, the taste is not bad, just not as nice as my low temp, low heat, low age buds. Most rosin pressers had told me it is a waste of time collecting kief with a grinder to press, too 'green' is what I have been told. I think mesh size might play a large role too due to the amount of vegie matter.
I see @psychonaut had a nice small harvest collection box, was it homemade @psychonaut and what micron size do you recommend?
75 micron (200m) or finer?

@felvpes, IOU 1.42g, I had a think and realised iI never re squashed the big bag at 221f!

The yield was 3.02g in the end, the taste is not bad, just not as nice as my low temp, low heat, low age buds. Most rosin pressers had told me it is a waste of time collecting kief with a grinder to press, too 'green' is what I have been told. I think mesh size might play a large role too due to the amount of vegie matter.
I see @psychonaut had a nice small harvest collection box, was it homemade @psychonaut and what micron size do you recommend?
75 micron (200m) or finer?
Mine tastes great even compared to low temp squishes (you say low age - here's what I said about 2 year old kief)
Have always enjoyed
3g is still a huge loss I think

I have grinder sieve and the electric coffee grinder which just collects dust in the lid
And the pollen collecting box
All three together get mixed
Has taken about 2 months since the last to collect approx 2g (I haven't scraped and weighed yet)

Minimum yields I have got from kief is 35-40%
Usually 40-50%
And my weed get 15-18% max compared to your 19-22%

I'm not sure why too green is a thing when it's less green than actual bud
Much cleaner rosin usually
More see through and leaves very little on the nail

Air kills some Terpines as does age
Maybe this is the thing

@LesPlenty I am using some pre-made screens, I had made my own with some stainless mesh I bought for cheaper but it was too small (I bought 12x12" thinking that would be a good size a couple years ago and quickly outgrew it.

Here is what I use now, I get a lot of green in my sift because of my method I am sure, if you are a good sifter you can likely keep things clean. Just dont grind up your trim and sift it like that!

There are other options out there built more for comfort but I only trim for a couple hours at a time and only a few ounces at a time so it's a good size for my garden. I also bought the white 100 micron screen tray that fits under the 150.

I've made a few of these using silkscreen from Amazon, but here are a few other things I've played with over the past couple of years... Screens are pretty easy to make. Some like the screen tight, while others prefer it a little looser, for bouncing. I'm not advanced enough to worry about it too much. A screen between 180 and 140 microns, stretched hand tight in a frame, on top of an old microwave glass tray, and things work well enough for gubmint work...

Started with a Ryot Box

Then wound up with one of these

And also one of these (which is currently sifting freeze dried herb with great success)

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back