Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Do Edibles Affect You

Do you get high from edibles?

• Yes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
View attachment 36655

My mate gave me some gummies and some lean juice all made from feco..
Had 4 sweets and a quarter of the bottle..
Absolutely shit faced i was.. didnt know you could get that high... let alone wake up still that high 10 hours later...
Had to have a day off work today...

When I first started making extracts I overdid infused oil and got the liver conversion and was out of it for several days
I have low tolerance and green out easily but this was "not fun" for several hours

When I first started making extracts I overdid infused oil and got the liver conversion and was out of it for several days
I have low tolerance and green out easily but this was "not fun" for several hours
I had a big dose one time and for about 15 mins I was riding the edge of the wave wondering if I was going to green out which I hadn't done since early high school
I managed to hold it through the 15 mins and then it was about 10 hours of nice toasty buzz stone

As I said earlier in the thread, I've had once horrible experience with edibles that put me off them for a couple of years. I've only just started enjoying them over the last year again. And that's mostly because the edibles I'm getting are a reliable dosage. I can honestly say I NEVER want to go through an edible overdose again.

The gummies I get from the dispos are usually 10 mg. each and clearly labeled indica, sativa or hybrid. I will take one or two of them before bedtime and zonk out beautifully. Occasionally, on high pain days, I'll dose with a sativa gummy. And they work well. My home made attempts at edibles can be all over the place with how strong they are.
People often think an empty stomach is they way but you actually need fatty food to help absorb the cannabinoids
Empty gut will not absorb as much and will process it out
Absolutely. You get much better results having the edible be the 'second pass' through the gut. This is not to say that I haven't gotten high from using them on an empty stomach. But they work much better if you've eaten a little something first; preferably something with fat.

BUT... as the OP says, edibles affect everyone differently. My husband takes 2 mg and is so high it's ridiculous. I can take 100mg and still be functional. And then there are those who aren't affected at all.

edibles give me headaches)
I'm glad you brought this up. Because I get a headache from them as well. Even the 10 mg gummies; if taken in the daytime. I was going to make a post and ask if other members ever have the same issue.

As I said earlier in the thread, I've had once horrible experience with edibles that put me off them for a couple of years. I've only just started enjoying them over the last year again. And that's mostly because the edibles I'm getting are a reliable dosage. I can honestly say I NEVER want to go through an edible overdose again.

The gummies I get from the dispos are usually 10 mg. each and clearly labeled indica, sativa or hybrid. I will take one or two of them before bedtime and zonk out beautifully. Occasionally, on high pain days, I'll dose with a sativa gummy. And they work well. My home made attempts at edibles can be all over the place with how strong they are.

Absolutely. You get much better results having the edible be the 'second pass' through the gut. This is not to say that I haven't gotten high from using them on an empty stomach. But they work much better if you've eaten a little something first; preferably something with fat.

BUT... as the OP says, edibles affect everyone differently. My husband takes 2 mg and is so high it's ridiculous. I can take 100mg and still be functional. And then there are those who aren't affected at all.

I'm glad you brought this up. Because I get a headache from them as well. Even the 10 mg gummies; if taken in the daytime. I was going to make a post and ask if other members ever have the same issue.
100mg will barely hit me
I have to high dose with edibles

Others can take much less and get results

Fatty food in particular helps absorb the thc - same reason coconut oil and butter are used to extract
Eating the fatty food with or after also helps the absorption as the body will process both at once

I do find they will help with sleep at lower doses - but I don't feel the high if I'm awake unless it's high dosing well over 100mg

EDIT
I also as the OP says don't get results as much from brownies etc like I said

It's straight feco in a cap or straight in mouth/under tongue - this is where I get ppl stoned who say edibles don't work - the ones who say they aren't stoned usually pass out...
Feco sublingual works much better - as per the OP states more is bioavailable to the body this way and less wasted

Last edited:
My preferred method of medicating is edibles. Normally I medicate early, and vape on and off all day . I use all sorts of mediums, MCT, butter, alcohol. For about the last two years I've been using a combination of hemp and cannabis for my edibles. The results are very anti inflammatory, way better for my pain management . I don't get headaches , if I do overmedicate I'm just a drooling, grinning , fool, so nothing new :wink: .

TO SUCK OR SWALLOW? THE PHARMACOLOGY OF THC EDIBLES

There are a lot of ways to take cannabis from smoking to brownies. A dichotomy even exists in some edibles. In other words, it will produce a different experience to suck on or swallow a cannabis-infused candy, for example. To understand the different consumption methods, we have to look into the pharmacology of cannabis and THCedibles.

THC-metabolism-in-edibles.png

How cannabis edibles work — Oral THC​

• Onset: 60-180 minutes
  • Duration: 6-8 hours
  • Bioavailability: ~6-14% with a 2.5-fold increase when formulated into a lipid (not nano-emulsified), and high variability depending on recent meals.
Active D9-THC takes time to pass through the stomach and into the liver. And depending on the edibles formula, only a small percentage of that THC survives and can be absorbed into the body.

Once the remaining THC arrives in the liver, a lot of biochemical stuff happens. First and foremost is the change that THC can undergo in an individual’s gut that contains enough enzymes. A section on the northern tip of THC’s leftmost ring switches from a methyl (-CH3) to a hydroxyl group (-OH).

To bind to the cannabinoid receptor with a bias for intoxication, fat-loving THC must contain at least one hydroxylgroup. And while the converted form of THC, 11-OH-THC contains one more hydroxyl group compared to D9-THC. How this affects intoxication is not well understood.

THC under the tongue — oromucosal pharmacology​

• Onset: 15-45 minutes
  • Duration: 6-8 hours
Atypical of oral consumption, sublingual doses produce a fraction of the hydroxylated cannabinoids. This is because cannabinoids left under the tongue will soak directly into blood vessels, negating the liver until a second pass.

For clinical applications, sublingual doses are optimal. Humans can possess vastly different gut microbiomes which orchestrate enzymes that chew up THC. Therefore, quickly swallowed edibles are far more unpredictable amongst a large group of people. Although oral consumption does provide benefits for chronic illnesses.

A cannabinoid-infused edible left under the tongue will partially absorb through the mucosal membranes in the month. Whatever cannabinoid is swallowed, on the other hand, will go through the liver. And the same is true for terpenes, but less knowledge exists on their metabolism. For some people, of course, the long duration of ediblesis still a preferred means of consumption.

Nano-emulsified THC edibles?​

Experts think good sublingual formulations do not need to be nano-emulsified. Products emulsified into small enough droplets will, however, absorb into the blood before most metabolic conversions. Of course, pharmacology also depends on the type of THC edible and emulsion.

Sources​

1. Greene ML, Saunders DR. Metabolism of tetrahydrocannabinol by the small intestine. Gastroenterology. 1974;66(3):365-372.
  2. Mechoulam R, Lander N, Varkony TH, et al. Stereochemical requirements for cannabinoid activity. J Med Chem. 1980;23(10):1068-1072. doi:10.1021/jm00184a002
  3. MacCallum CA, Russo EB. Practical considerations in medical cannabis administration and dosing. Eur J Intern Med. 2018;49:12-19. doi:10.1016/j.ejim.2018.01.004
  4. C. G. Stott, L. White, S. Wright, D. Wilbraham… (2013). A phase I study to assess the effect of food on the single dose bioavailability of the THC/CBD oromucosal spray. , 69(4), 825–834. doi:10.1007/s00228-012-1393-4

A lot of new information is supporting nano emulsion
I cannot cite offhand so its BS but most of my research into the syrup ended with a nano emulsion being superior for bioavailability
The biggest problem is a persons individual biochemistry and how their body processes cannabis compounds
Impossible to account for every individual and there are many consumers

Orally, meh
Absorption rate is hard to determine and the product has to be potent or requires multiple applications

I get a lot more mileage out of edibles over smoking/vaping
Make near micro emulsions that absorb just fine but I'm flirting with acquiring nano emulsion capability

Lots of research came to a halt for several months but things are starting up again

Just not enough reliable information that is supported

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back