Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Dry Sift

herbivore21

This is the thread for Dry Sift hash techniques. It requires no potentially dangerous solvents, but yields much less than other techniques.

You can expect a 5-10% yield of full melt dry sift hash from flowers at best. This will come at the expense of copious quantities of manual labor. Please keep this in mind before trying your hand at this technique.

If you have any related questions please post them here!

I'll modify this post in the coming weeks with basic starting pointers for dry sift initiates. For now, this is here to get the thread started :)

Hi Herb, did you forget this thread? :cheers:

Interested in

- optimal temperature for processing,
- time of shaking/tumbling material
- techs of post processing for finer selections

Flowers I'm processing with the pollinator (158µ) standing in a temp controlled freezer just a minute at around 2-4°C
For finer processing I'm using 4 screen printing frames
After fine sieving I'm working with a electrostatic method to purify the golden dust

Last edited:
Then again it's not the most efficient of extraction methods. I've tried it a couple of times with 5-10% results, which is probably OK for a grower with a lot of flower and a chilled room to work in (check the Bubbleman vids as an example).

I can make some edumacated guesses for answers tho.

Optimal temp - likely just right around 0 celcius - not cold enough to freeze, but cold enough.

Dry sift tumbling machines, which are a bit rough, suggest 5 to 10 minutes of processing time. I doubt Herbi would suggest using the tumbler due to the amount of plant matter that will invariably come along.

Which leads to post-processing - or screen refining of material. This is likely where you'd get rid of the extras from tumbling. Basically your dry sift is gently passed through finer mesh screens, letting the plant matter sit on top of the screen with the heads going through.

Time and labour intensive. But there are several options available...

PS - I found a few large (3 cuM) of different mesh silk screen in the garage... As well as (cough) 6 lbs of trim... I suspect this method in the vid is going to be tried soon...

If you don't want to realize optimal amounts of yield 1 minute in the tumbling machine is pretty good for getting nearly only trichomes. Under a microscope the stuff is still very clean - it's a kind of "Fleur de Sel". Depending on used variety I get 5-10g/kg. With each minute longer tumbling contamination with other plant material is disproportionately increasing.

I know that @herbivore21 has a lot going on IRL right now that is keeping him from being able to participate as much as he'd like. I know he'll address this thread as soon as he has a moment to spare. :smile:
Thanks for passing this on Mom. Whilst I've been especially trying to respond to any briefer comments and correspondence here recently, my time has been comparatively limited to respond to some of the longer messages.

Dry sift tumbling machines, which are a bit rough, suggest 5 to 10 minutes of processing time. I doubt Herbi would suggest using the tumbler due to the amount of plant matter that will invariably come along.
You got it right there my friend, I don't recommend tumbler machines for hashmaking, similar issues there as with dry ice sifting exist - the agitation quickly becomes too much after the first 30-60 seconds to produce any real melt. If you want to extract hash in a crude way similarly to the later yields from a tumbler machine, throwing nugs into a cheap home coffee grinder will get you a similar grade of hash buildup around the inner surfaces of the grinder.

The traditional method above used by the Morrocans is indeed a better way of producing a better quality of hash. A Morrocan friend that I met in the past would always tell me how wonderful especially the first agitation would be when produced this way! If done properly, even the latter agitations can produce the fire. If you attempt this, please do share results my friend!

If you don't want to realize optimal amounts of yield 1 minute in the tumbling machine is pretty good for getting nearly only trichomes. Under a microscope the stuff is still very clean - it's a kind of "Fleur de Sel". Depending on used variety I get 5-10g/kg. With each minute longer tumbling contamination with other plant material is disproportionately increasing.
A brief initial agitation in a tumbler like Hogni describes for a minute or so could certainly provide a reasonably clean starting sift, which you could tidy using carding etc. This is a method that I have known some to use with success. The remainder of the material left in the tumbler could then be bubble run to increase the quality of latter yields.

Hi Herb, did you forget this thread? :cheers:

Interested in

- optimal temperature for processing,
- time of shaking/tumbling material
- techs of post processing for finer selections
As my friend @Killick says above, cold temps close to freezing are ideal for sifting (seems like you're already on top of which temps to use too). For shaking time, it really depends on the method of agitation. I've given my thoughts on tumbling above though :)

For post processing, static electricity methods including carding/DVD case and parchment tek etc tend to be what I've seen used most frequently. I do wonder if centrifuges may be enlisted in larger industrial scale processing for finer resolution of separation.

I only tend to use sifting methods sparingly since it requires a lot of labor and a lot of starting material - the reason is simple: I only produce medicine for myself. I find that sifting is best used in my context to collect the resin that might fall off of flowers that I am breaking up for bubble extraction etc, you'd be surprised how much dabbable dry sift I get just from breaking up nugs over screens prior to bubble runs if the flower is sufficiently fire! Especially if using electrostatic methods to further clean this stuff, you get very melty stuff quickly (but small yields of course).

Flowers I'm processing with the pollinator (158µ) standing in a temp controlled freezer just a minute at around 2-4°C
For finer processing I'm using 4 screen printing frames
After fine sieving I'm working with a electrostatic method to purify the golden dust
What kind of electrostatic method are you using my friend? Also how does your final product look? Is it possible to share an image or two?

That technique sounds like it could produce good results, it is quite similar to the one-min tumbling that I described above :)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all your replies!

I'm tumbling flowers for one minute at 158µ. Afterwards I'm seeving the yield by using the sreen printing screens (124/109/77/47µ) for different seevings.
After that I use the method of J. Berfalo (DVD+parchement paper) to work on the material on each screen for purifying. But the work is a PITA. Hours to work to get only a few gr. Even when totally vaped this stupid monotonous work drives me crazy. May be this a contemplative work for some, for me it's just stupid boring over the time.

Therefore I'm very interested in the most effective electrostatic method. Does anybody know a better/faster/more effective one?

Herb, sorry, I don't have a macro lense. Would like to take some pics but doesn't make sense with regular lenses.

But the results are all full melt.

Thanks a lot for all your replies!

I'm tumbling flowers for one minute at 158µ. Afterwards I'm seeving the yield by using the sreen printing screens (124/109/77/47µ) for different seevings.
After that I use the method of J. Berfalo (DVD+parchement paper) to work on the material on each screen for purifying. But the work is a PITA. Hours to work to get only a few gr. Even when totally vaped this stupid monotonous work drives me crazy. May be this a contemplative work for some, for me it's just stupid boring over the time.

Therefore I'm very interested in the most effective electrostatic method. Does anybody know a better/faster/more effective one?

Herb, sorry, I don't have a macro lense. Would like to take some pics but doesn't make sense with regular lenses.

But the results are all full melt.
Oh that is a tried and true method for getting full melt dry sift no doubt man. I hear you on the low yields, but I bet the full melt is beautiful! :biggrin: I am so glad to hear that you get to enjoy some full melt for yourself :cheers:

I also hear you on the monotony, for me, sifting is something I need to be in the right headspace for. If there is a time when I need a break from other people and work and can make some spare time, then sifting is an option. Otherwise, it is too time consuming and stressful due to other obligations IRL.

I have not spent much time working on electrostatic methods for cleaning up dry sift (I need spare starting material to sacrifice in order to experiment, there just isn't enough for me to spare for testing new methods which may over-agitate my flower atm), although I too have considered many times what some better ways of doing this might be.

In the meantime, maybe you could save yourself time and stress by bubble hash running your material after a very brief initial tumble? Let the machines do most of the work so that you can enjoy the good hash more and work less! :peace:

By the way my friend, have you tried to pinch to zoom on your cell phone camera? IME, almost all cameras will give you a digital macro zoom which allows us to see the headies pretty clearly. You'd be surprised how well you can capture heads with a cell phone with a little practice :biggrin:

Lately, I've been thinking about easy efficiency gains that can be had while preparing a small amount of nugs for curing and an eventual bubble run. One thing I've thought a lot about lately, which many of you will already be aware of - is we frequently throw away easily obtained headstash through careless processing and neglecting to make sure we do our work in a way that is careful, clean and contained.

Folks who are fortunate enough to cultivate (not me, sadly) benefit from trimming and manicuring their flowers over dry sift screens for example, this leads to a nearly effortless, but small yield of full melt dry sift, which is an incredibly high quality concentrate which would otherwise be shaken off the nugs during trimming and lost on various surfaces in the space.

Let me give an example of how a more simple version of this practice can benefit those of us who do not grow.

These instructions are for people who are processing small amounts of personal concentrates like rosin and bubble hash. Basically, this can be used for any extraction method which require some breaking up of large nugs/colas as a preparation step before the run. I'll be describing this from a bubble hash extraction perspective, but follow the steps below for rosin or any other extraction method as above.

For those who run bubble like me, we're seeking out the most resinous flower possible. When you get past a certain skill level in extracting, your full melt is only as good as your flower!

Bubble runs require the processor to first break up their flowers. This is to ensure that all of the resin glands have room around them in the water sufficient to be agitated and removed by the motion of the water during the bubble run. You do not want to run huge colas, flowers that are separated calyx by calyx are more appropriate here.

Of course, here we run into the same scenario as the cultivator above in one sense: If we break up an ounce or two (or more if you're very fortunate!) of super resinous, dried and cured flower, we're gonna have a lot of ripe resin flicking off of those buds!

So one easy solution is to break up the flowers over hash screens. However, if you're breaking up small amounts for processing and don't have screens (even 1/2oz-1oz), consider breaking them up on a pyrex dish (square shapes are easier to scrape the resin off of afterwards!).

1. Break up your nugs on the pyrex dish. Do all removing of extraneous leaf and stem from your flowers over the dish, but place all trim aside in your desired vessel and place all stems aside for disposal later. Only your broken nugs should end up on the dish. Make sure that dish is clean before you start!

2. Carefully, individually pick up each piece of flower up and put it into your vessel for extraction later. Do not try to scoop them all up together, this is likely to contaminate your resin left on the glass.

3. Your stem and trim and nugs have all been removed from the dish now. All you should have left will be pistils, leaves, and some other very small pieces of various plant material. Using an aluminum or glass card shaped implement (thin, so you can use for scraping!), gently brush over the top of the resin/plant parts on your dish to move the plant parts out of the resin as much as possible. This should only take 10-15 mins.

4. With fingers (wear buna-n gloves or similar) carefully remove the plant pieces and pistils from your dish. You should end up with a final product on your dish which is 80%+ glands if you're successful. Sometimes, you'll have something ready to dab: Between a 4-5 star sift can be achieved by this processing alone!

5. If your end product isn't dabbable yet, gently sift it on a single small ~73u screen (~200 mesh or so if you're looking at screens using that unit of measurement for DIY screen-making purposes).

For reference, if you process 1oz of flower in this way with very abundant resin (for example, 25%+ yields when rosined), you can expect to end up with 5-10 large dabs of deliciously dabbable dry sift by following the steps above!

I hope that some of you guys will get the chance to benefit from this technique! This thread has been dormant for far too long!

Just don't expect 6 star sift at all by following the above steps if you don't follow step 5! I've been reliably getting 5 star sift from resinous flower using only steps 1-4 however!

Lately, I've been thinking about easy efficiency gains that can be had while preparing a small amount of nugs for curing and an eventual bubble run. One thing I've thought a lot about lately, which many of you will already be aware of - is we frequently throw away easily obtained headstash through careless processing and neglecting to make sure we do our work in a way that is careful, clean and contained.

Folks who are fortunate enough to cultivate (not me, sadly) benefit from trimming and manicuring their flowers over dry sift screens for example, this leads to a nearly effortless, but small yield of full melt dry sift, which is an incredibly high quality concentrate which would otherwise be shaken off the nugs during trimming and lost on various surfaces in the space.

Let me give an example of how a more simple version of this practice can benefit those of us who do not grow.

These instructions are for people who are processing small amounts of personal concentrates like rosin and bubble hash. Basically, this can be used for any extraction method which require some breaking up of large nugs/colas as a preparation step before the run. I'll be describing this from a bubble hash extraction perspective, but follow the steps below for rosin or any other extraction method as above.

For those who run bubble like me, we're seeking out the most resinous flower possible. When you get past a certain skill level in extracting, your full melt is only as good as your flower!

Bubble runs require the processor to first break up their flowers. This is to ensure that all of the resin glands have room around them in the water sufficient to be agitated and removed by the motion of the water during the bubble run. You do not want to run huge colas, flowers that are separated calyx by calyx are more appropriate here.

Of course, here we run into the same scenario as the cultivator above in one sense: If we break up an ounce or two (or more if you're very fortunate!) of super resinous, dried and cured flower, we're gonna have a lot of ripe resin flicking off of those buds!

So one easy solution is to break up the flowers over hash screens. However, if you're breaking up small amounts for processing and don't have screens (even 1/2oz-1oz), consider breaking them up on a pyrex dish (square shapes are easier to scrape the resin off of afterwards!).

1. Break up your nugs on the pyrex dish. Do all removing of extraneous leaf and stem from your flowers over the dish, but place all trim aside in your desired vessel and place all stems aside for disposal later. Only your broken nugs should end up on the dish. Make sure that dish is clean before you start!

2. Carefully, individually pick up each piece of flower up and put it into your vessel for extraction later. Do not try to scoop them all up together, this is likely to contaminate your resin left on the glass.

3. Your stem and trim and nugs have all been removed from the dish now. All you should have left will be pistils, leaves, and some other very small pieces of various plant material. Using an aluminum or glass card shaped implement (thin, so you can use for scraping!), gently brush over the top of the resin/plant parts on your dish to move the plant parts out of the resin as much as possible. This should only take 10-15 mins.

4. With fingers (wear buna-n gloves or similar) carefully remove the plant pieces and pistils from your dish. You should end up with a final product on your dish which is 80%+ glands if you're successful. Sometimes, you'll have something ready to dab: Between a 4-5 star sift can be achieved by this processing alone!

5. If your end product isn't dabbable yet, gently sift it on a single small ~73u screen (~200 mesh or so if you're looking at screens using that unit of measurement for DIY screen-making purposes).

For reference, if you process 1oz of flower in this way with very abundant resin (for example, 25%+ yields when rosined), you can expect to end up with 5-10 large dabs of deliciously dabbable dry sift by following the steps above!

I hope that some of you guys will get the chance to benefit from this technique! This thread has been dormant for far too long!

Just don't expect 6 star sift at all by following the above steps if you don't follow step 5! I've been reliably getting 5 star sift from resinous flower using only steps 1-4 however!
Maybe in a few 100 year's your law's will become modern?

$5.00 / gram dry sift (kief) (TOP SHELF) in CALIFORNIA it's different than where you live?
Such a beautiful country! PERFECT = (SUN; WIND; SOIL)?

Your law's need to be modernized!

You should end up with a final product on your dish which is 80%+ glands if you're successful. Sometimes, you'll have something ready to dab: Between a 4-5 star sift can be achieved by this processing alone!
Can you explain the difference between what is left in the dish and the kief in a kief container section of a grinder? Is there more plant material left in the kief? Am I misunderstanding what the 'resin' is that is left behind on the plate?

Can you explain the difference between what is left in the dish and the kief in a kief container section of a grinder? Is there more plant material left in the kief? Am I misunderstanding what the 'resin' is that is left behind on the plate?
Good question, the difference is entailed by my comment that the above methods can produce 5-6 star dry sift hash. That is full melt, that you can dab. Kief from a grinder is mostly broken up small pieces of plant material, if you tried to dab it on a nail, it won't melt at all because its hardly resin - basically just ground flower. What is produced following my steps above is almost entirely resin, and melts into liquid when heated! :biggrin:

This 'full melt dry sift' (aka 5 or 6 star dry sift - in the star rating system, hash that gets a 5 or 6 star rating can be dabbed, 1-4 star hash does not melt enough to dab) is the holy grail of concentrates alongside full melt bubble. For comparison, I'd happily never dab rosin, terp sauce or sugar ever again (not that these are bad, they are wonderful! Full melt is just better :biggrin:), if I had enough full melt dry sift or bubble to enjoy instead!

The flavor and effect of full melt resin is the whole package, including those elusive effects and tastes that seem to be missing when you dab oil vs vaping flower. In short, it is the best of both worlds between dabbing concentrates and vaping flower. All of the flavor and effects without the comparative harshness on the throat that flower vapor gives.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back