Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips Cannabis and Skin Disorders - Eczema -Psoriasis etc

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
After reading @felvapes and @GreenHopper 's comments on Eczema, I started wondering if cannabis oil would help. I know that the cannabis infused oil and salve I make helps heal burns and other sores. So I did a little research.

In the 'Why Do You Medicate' forum, there is a thread called "700 Medicinal Uses for Cannabis sorted by Disease" which has a section devoted to Eczema:

ECZEMA

Hemp Supplement Boosts Body AND Mind (anecdotal/news - 2001)

http://pr.cannazine.co.uk/201006011282/green/eco-news/hemp-supplement-boosts-body-and-mind.html

Skin Complaint Man Grew Cannabis (news/ anecdotal- 2004)

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v04.n1222.a09.html

Want Nice Skin? Then Smoke Cannabis! (news – 2007)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Want-Nice-Skin-Then-Smoke-Cannabis-56803.shtml

Cannabis helps treat allergic reactions (news - 2007)

http://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=4768

Cannabis compound reduces skin allergies in mice (news – 2007)

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12016-cannabis-compound-reduces-skin-allergies-in-mice.html

Cannabinoids Reduce Skin Inflammation (news - 2007)

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7284&wtm_format=print

So in theory cannabis should help eczema. So I took it further and looked in my 'bible' on essential oils ("The Quick Reference Guide for Using Essential Oils" by Connie and Alan Higley) and found:

IMG_5054.jpg

So I'm thinking a cannabis infused oil with essential oils known to heal, or be helpful, for eczema. My thoughts are, that for eczema, you want as little barrier as possible. You want that cannabis and the essential oils to absorb. So you do not want to add anything to an oil that would solidify it; like beeswax. Coconut oil is also a barrier type oil.. so if making a topical oil, I would infuse grapeseed oil because it absorbs into the skin more easily. I would also make darn sure to filter the infused oil a couple times to get any type of cannabis particulate out. The particulate can be an irritant.

So what would I add? I'm not shy with the essential oils that I add. There are some that are irritants, however, and those I use sparingly. None of the essential oils used above for eczema are in that category. So for example, when I make a 2 oz. tin of my pain salve, I'll put in 10 drops of wintergreen, 4 drops of rosemary, 4 drops of eucalyptus, 4 drops of peppermint. More than you would think; right? But that's for pain...

For eczema, I think I would take 2 oz. of oil and add 5 drops of one of the main oils (German Chamomile most likely). Then I would add 4 drops of thyme, 4 drops of bergamot, 4 drops of eucalyptus. Or something along those lines from the above list of essential oils. But I don't add more than 4 oils as a rule. And then I would test and see how this worked before adding more essential oils to a batch. My feeling is that you could probably use more of the first ingredient... but maybe not to start. Better to err on the side of caution rather than go full bore and risk a flare up. Find a blend of the oils that you like. And when adding the oils, don't get freaked out if an extra drop or two comes out of the bottle. No biggie.

Another oil mentioned in the book I have is an oil called V-6. Sort of expensive and I've never used it, but think I may have to try it now that I've found a source for it. This oil is used to dilute essential oils for direct application to the skin or if they are on the list of 'possible irritant oils'. I have no idea if this can be infused. @Killick have you heard anything about this oil? In any case, you could just use this oil to dilute the essential oils and use them directly as well (without the cannabis infusion). Or mix that with a small amount of infused grapeseed oil. See below (from the product description):

• for direct application blend 1 drop essential oil in 1-8 teaspoons of V-6
  • for topical applications apply 15-30 drops of essential oils to 1/8-1/4 cup V-6
  • for stronger oils (cinnamon, clove, oregano) require more dilution than gentler oils

On a side note, one thing I found interesting in the blurb above was that people who have eczema could have a sulfur deficiency. A quick Google search brought up this advice:

The simplest way to cure a sulfur deficiency is by using Epsom salts (wiki). All you have to do is water the plant with Epsom salts and wait until it gets better. Use one, maybe two teaspoons of Epsom salts per gallon of water. If you have any other nutrients that have sulfur in it, feel free to add that as well.

Would love for someone to try it and let me know. Lol... if you were my neighbor I'd make you my guinea pig. :science:

Oddly enough I was gifted a bottle of V6 awhile ago. The area around where I live is full of Young Living 'reps'. It's a 'vegetable oil complex', or a blend of a bunch of things, including coconut oil, and is used as a massage cream base.

Having said that this might be a great opportunity to test out infused DMSO to get the cannabinoids to penetrate deeper into the tissue than they would in an oil base. The first few applications may cause a bit of a geographic eruption on the affected area, so keep putting infused cream on top of that.

emu oil is one of the most penetrating and thin oils out there
I would imagine you could infuse it as well. Do a small batch of infused oil using a crock pot or double boiler method.... Hmmmm..... I wonder if this would be a good carrier oil for my psoriasis 'treatment' as well...

@Killick I knew you would bring up the DSMO lol.... I keep meaning to try that as well.

I would imagine you could infuse it as well. Do a small batch of infused oil using a crock pot or double boiler method.... Hmmmm..... I wonder if this would be a good carrier oil for my psoriasis 'treatment' as well...

@Killick I knew you would bring up the DSMO lol.... I keep meaning to try that as well.
It would do wonders for your psoriasis alone...I reckon if you used in your mix it would work well
I have read about dsmo before and thought about it

After reading @felvapes and @GreenHopper 's comments on Eczema, I started wondering if cannabis oil would help. I know that the cannabis infused oil and salve I make helps heal burns and other sores. So I did a little research.

In the 'Why Do You Medicate' forum, there is a thread called "700 Medicinal Uses for Cannabis sorted by Disease" which has a section devoted to Eczema:

So in theory cannabis should help eczema. So I took it further and looked in my 'bible' on essential oils ("The Quick Reference Guide for Using Essential Oils" by Connie and Alan Higley) and found:

View attachment 6449

So I'm thinking a cannabis infused oil with essential oils known to heal, or be helpful, for eczema. My thoughts are, that for eczema, you want as little barrier as possible. You want that cannabis and the essential oils to absorb. So you do not want to add anything to an oil that would solidify it; like beeswax. Coconut oil is also a barrier type oil.. so if making a topical oil, I would infuse grapeseed oil because it absorbs into the skin more easily. I would also make darn sure to filter the infused oil a couple times to get any type of cannabis particulate out. The particulate can be an irritant.

So what would I add? I'm not shy with the essential oils that I add. There are some that are irritants, however, and those I use sparingly. None of the essential oils used above for eczema are in that category. So for example, when I make a 2 oz. tin of my pain salve, I'll put in 10 drops of wintergreen, 4 drops of rosemary, 4 drops of eucalyptus, 4 drops of peppermint. More than you would think; right? But that's for pain...

For eczema, I think I would take 2 oz. of oil and add 5 drops of one of the main oils (German Chamomile most likely). Then I would add 4 drops of thyme, 4 drops of bergamot, 4 drops of eucalyptus. Or something along those lines from the above list of essential oils. But I don't add more than 4 oils as a rule. And then I would test and see how this worked before adding more essential oils to a batch. My feeling is that you could probably use more of the first ingredient... but maybe not to start. Better to err on the side of caution rather than go full bore and risk a flare up. Find a blend of the oils that you like. And when adding the oils, don't get freaked out if an extra drop or two comes out of the bottle. No biggie.

Another oil mentioned in the book I have is an oil called V-6. Sort of expensive and I've never used it, but think I may have to try it now that I've found a source for it. This oil is used to dilute essential oils for direct application to the skin or if they are on the list of 'possible irritant oils'. I have no idea if this can be infused. @Killick have you heard anything about this oil? In any case, you could just use this oil to dilute the essential oils and use them directly as well (without the cannabis infusion). Or mix that with a small amount of infused grapeseed oil. See below (from the product description):

• for direct application blend 1 drop essential oil in 1-8 teaspoons of V-6
  • for topical applications apply 15-30 drops of essential oils to 1/8-1/4 cup V-6
  • for stronger oils (cinnamon, clove, oregano) require more dilution than gentler oils

On a side note, one thing I found interesting in the blurb above was that people who have eczema could have a sulfur deficiency. A quick Google search brought up this advice:

Would love for someone to try it and let me know. Lol... if you were my neighbor I'd make you my guinea pig. :science:
Interesting article on chemical transdermal penetration enhancers.....from DMSO to the latest.

CBD Oil And Its Potential As A Psoriasis Treatment

The results of a 2007 study suggest that cannabinoids inhibit keratinocyte proliferation, which supports a potential role for CBD in the treatment of psoriasis. But where is research at today?​

August is Psoriasis Awareness Month and during the current COVID-19 global pandemic, and global uncertainties, psoriasis is causing havoc on the bodies of many Americans. Concerns about the best way to effectively treat psoriasis is still a constant discussion on the forefront of scientists and doctors all over the globe.

According to the National Psoriasis Foundation, psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that affects the lives of approximately 8 million Americans. Psoriasis occurs when the autoimmune system attacks healthy skin cells. In many people, psoriasis manifests as blotchy marks on the hands and the face. This is due to a buildup of the cells near the surface of the skin. Psoriasis is also potentially connected to several related health conditions, including depression, anxiety, and the risk of suicide.

CBD as therapy for psoriasis

“We know that cannabinoids like CBD can reduce inflammation and pain,” David Casarett, MD, chief of palliative care at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, told Health, regarding using CBD oil to help relieve psoriasis symptoms. “Again, what we’re seeing right now is that most of the evidence is circumstantial but promising.”

A 2019 study, published in the journal Clinical Therapeutics, administered CBD salve to 20 patients and found that, “the results showed that topical treatment with CBD-enriched ointment significantly improved the skin parameters, the symptoms and also the PASI index score. No irritant or allergic reactions were documented during the period treatment.”

CBD is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Although there is some evidence that CBD salve has some potential positive effects, there is not a substantial amount of supportive evidence. However, a 2007 study, published in the medical journal Dermatological Science, showed some promise.

The results suggest that cannabinoids inhibit keratinocyte proliferation, which supports a potential role for CBD in the treatment of psoriasis. Cannabinoid use is limited by the local and state laws, in several states. The use of CBD is limited in the treatments of most internal and external medical conditions.

So where else is the medicine going? With more studies than ever recruiting patients to examine the benefits of CBD-based treatment, psoriasis could soon have many other options.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back