Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Safety Eds TNT Woodscents Vaporizer

@herbivore21 :thumbsup: Thanks for your work, it's getting hot in the lab! :smile:
You are all most welcome, thank you for the kind words sir! :peace:

@herbivore21 thank you for taking the time to do so much research on this and for the thorough explanation.
No problem at all Mom, glad to assist!

@Ed's TnT let's go over your new wiring approach.

To begin with - it appears that the teflon is gone in this new design? This could be a great step to bring your product from 'reasonably safe' to 'idiot proof', and is a welcome addition indeed if you have done away with the PTFE.

If I may ask, what are those leads running into the heater made of? Did you use copper wires going in, and if so, are they tinned? The glass beads are a great idea for preventing the wire from making contact with itself as it winds, and should serve well in this application.

However, we should confirm that the metal wire in the bottom is not likely to be oxidized or corroded with the exposure to oxygen that we see in there. If it does, we may have problems with conductivity/short circuits - the consequences of which vary greatly, depending on the metal used on the lead wire going into the heater.

To summarize, a few questions to get us started here:

1. What is the lead wire going into those terminals on the base of the heater made out of?
2. Are those crimp terminals at the bottom of the heater, or some other method of termination that I cannot discern from the picture? If you used crimp terminals, which metals are both ends of the terminals made of?
3. What materials are the metal terminals coming out of the heater cartridge made out of?
4. Is any solder used in this termination between lead wire and cartridge terminals design? If so, what kind of solder?

Many thanks for your ongoing cooperation sir! :cheers:

You know what is unsafe with the Woodscents? Operating a motor vehicle or heavy machinery after a few big rips thats what. I don't see anything with the WS that needs concern me. It is as safe as I can reasonably expect & that is all one can ask.

1. What is the lead wire going into those terminals on the base of the heater made out of?

2. Are those crimp terminals at the bottom of the heater, or some other method of termination that I cannot discern from the picture? If you used crimp terminals, which metals are both ends of the terminals made of? They are SS crimp connectors

3. What materials are the metal terminals coming out of the heater cartridge made out of?

4. Is any solder used in this termination between lead wire and cartridge terminals design? If so, what kind of solder? No solder at all

Is question 1 & 3 the same, I am a little confused. Am coping with the flu my youngest gave me so not feeling it. I am getting the info on the lead wires now my man. Forgive me for my delay, dealing withe the flu and gearing up for Black Friday has been tough. Thanks for all you do!

@herbivore21 Hey hey and good morning, sorry for another delay but got that info for you here, hope it is helpful and look to hear your response.

My engineer said that this is the description they have for the wire used in the heater is 24 ga. MGT 27% NCC 450°C/300V" NCC = Nickel Clad Copper

And to add not only are the wires crimped on, there has been a hole drilled into the center post like where the side post has a hole in it the wires are past through and the crimp connector is crimped over where it passes through to ensure there is a solid and stable connection.

Thanks for your replies my friend! I will be back to go over this information ASAP! :cheers:

Just to clarify, both your SS crimp terminals and the posts coming out of the heater that they are crimped onto are made of SS, right? :peace:

Hmm @herbivore21 I am not sure I understand. The above post is an explanation of what the lead wires are made of coming from the heater. They are insulated in glass beads up into the point where they are pushed through a hole in the outside and center post of the 12v dc jack mounted within the WS. There is a SS crimp slid down over where the leads are pushed through the posts and mashed in place. That’s about it. Pls tell me if ya need anything else my man, thanks.

Reactions: arb
Hmm @herbivore21 I am not sure I understand. The above post is an explanation of what the lead wires are made of coming from the heater. They are insulated in glass beads up into the point where they are pushed through a hole in the outside and center post of the 12v dc jack mounted within the WS. There is a SS crimp slid down over where the leads are pushed through the posts and mashed in place. That’s about it. Pls tell me if ya need anything else my man, thanks.
KHdE7Si.jpg

Looking at the picture above, I've circled two ends that you have crimped together. The red circle encapsulates the post that emerges from the bottom of the cartridge. The Green circle corresponds with the crimp terminal that you have used to join the wire to the base of the heater.

What I mean to confirm is that both of the circled parts of the crimped terminal are made of SS? :peace:

As for the nickel clad copper, in my experience, nickel clad copper wiring of this type provides the copper with insulation and protection from oxidation at high temps. Nickel particles are a known carcinogen when inhaled, however, nickel clad copper wires are generally designed to be safely bent and shaped for the application. Given the design of the underside of the Woodscents, it looks clear to me that there's nothing there that is likely to lead to any grinding/grating/scraping of the wires which might give rise to such particulates. Nickel clad copper wiring IME typically comprises a complete metallurgical bond, meaning there is no oxide layer or voids between the nickel and copper - these properties lend themselves quite well to conduction of electricity and also should make for a robust wire, resistant to any possible physical damage which could free particulates of nickel from it in this application.

Another risk from Nickel is that of fumes/offgassing in very high heat scenarios. It seems that your engineer reports that this is rated for temps up to 450c (approx 842f). A quick google search finds a great deal of such wires, which are rated for use up to the same temp by the component manufacturer.

Obviously, I would not expect that this wire is getting very hot at all in the application. I wonder if we might satisfy everybody beyond a shadow of a doubt as to the safety of the wiring with regard to overheating/fumes by taking a temp measurement touching your thermocouple directly onto the wire after leaving a unit running at max temp for an hour and providing us with a picture of the measured temp?

We'll discuss the crimp terminals when you get back to me confirming that both ends of the crimp connection are SS, as I am inclined to guess.

Last edited:
Good morning @herbivore21 I hope all is well your way! The red circle is the post that sticks out of the jack, its standard and used by other log makers for the connection

SKU133709-2.jpg

I cant say I know what its made of. The yellow circle is a SS crimp connector.

I will have to get temp readings later this weekend as I am about to hit the road have so much to do today in preparation for the holiday at my wifes in the city. Ugghhhh I so hate that we havent been able to find a house yet. Ohhh I got an 18lb turkey to cook also, I aint one to back down from a fight, I always gotta pick the biggest baddest boy in the room and give him hell! Needless to say its on, gobble gobble!

Good morning @herbivore21 I hope all is well your way! The red circle is the post that sticks out of the jack, its standard and used by other log makers for the connection

SKU133709-2.jpg

I will have to get temp readings later this weekend as I am about to hit the road have so much to do today in preparation for the holiday at my wifes in the city. Ugghhhh I so hate that we havent been able to find a house yet. Ohhh I got an 18lb turkey to cook also, I aint one to back down from a fight, I always gotta pick the biggest baddest boy in the room and give him hell! Needless to say its on, gobble gobble!
I am well sir, thank you! :)

Thank you for being so clear in this response man! I wonder if you may be able to find out from your heater manufacturer what that post coming out of the heater is made of? Of course, the holidays are upon us so I understand that this may not be practical right away - no problem there :biggrin:

No problem at all! I wish you the best in your house hunt in the meantime brother! You enjoy that turkey and I hope that you and your family have a wonderful thanksgiving! Same goes to all of my VA people who might be reading this post - a very happy thanksgiving to all of you and your loved ones! :peace:

Good morning

@herbivore21 When I say post mean the tab off the side of the jack, it has that center point and the side tab I call just a post, this is where I crimp the positive and negative leads. Its the same jack that all the other guys use.

I have temp probed at the crimp

T4zffyY.jpg

n6HD56o.jpg

I hope we are on the same page for the jack and what I meant by post. I dont know what else I can say about the heater I feel we have covered it all. I appreciate your cooperation and patience, I cant say it enough. I am sure I can say you have plenty on your plate otherwise and your effort to take on this is a big deal. Pls let me know what you think and if there is anything else I need do.

Thanksgiving was great and everyone liked my turkey, what a beast, am still eating sandwiches lol! I think we may have found a potential house, gotta wait and see what the bank will do, ughhhh not my best time spent ya know. Take care my man and I wish you well!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back