Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vape Firefly 2 - for concentrate users

herbivore21

Many of us may have heard of the Firefly 2 by now. It isn't exactly new. It released to some mixed feelings as a flower vape. There were definitely some major downsides. However, I'd always looked at this vape and thought that it would shine (if you'll forgive the pun) for concentrate use.

For flower use, it seemed very sensitive to draw technique and grind style/packing of load and you could just as easily get minimal clouds as a reasonable rip.

The battery life is quite disappointing. There's no way to get around mentioning that IMO. For concentrate purposes (which I'll go into more below), it'll do 5 good dabs at high temp before you're reaching for the charger (or a spare battery, they are at a least removable!).

Also disappointing is the fact that the unit does not ship with an external battery charger. Those user removable batteries are not so useful for those with large dosage needs without an external charger so they can charge one battery while using another.

I have read and seen corroborated across the web that the OG Firefly external battery charger works with the FF2 battery, and can be purchased from a number of vendors still.

I also read at one time that the manufacturer were working on an FF2 external battery charger, although cannot confirm at this time if it works.

A little while ago, I got my hands on one of these for concentrate use only. I had always suspected and heard from some people in that other forum that this was a great vape for portable concentrate use. Much like the Evo and other convection desktops but with battery limitations.

On that note, if you want to try one of these: Get extra batteries. Even if you can't find an external charger right away. While you're at home dabbing, charge a battery for the FF2. Even without the external charger, this will be manageable for most. I have fully charged a completely dead battery using the supplied charging dock (I wish it was just a USB port like everything else is these days! The dock does not keep the unit attached and so moving it around while charging is a PITA. It is not compatible with all USB powerbanks either, so keep that in mind) via 1.5 amp USB in just under an hour.

The reason why I say all this and recommend getting extra batteries, is that this thing is unparalleled as a portable concentrate vaporizer for flavor and even clouds! I have not used mine for flower, only concentrates.

I am pleased to report that this WILL VAPE FULL MELT!!!!! It tastes wonderful too, better than any pen I've hit and the clouds and effects will not disappoint. Unlike the experience with flower which was very mixed for many, depending on their preferred technique and grind, it is very consistent for concentrates! You just load up your dab in between two of the supplied concentrate pads (I find this gets the heat through the dab on both sides better than using one as the manufacturer recommends, and leads to reduced drain on battery life due to more efficient distribution of heat).

Then engage the heater by touching the capacative triggers and inhale long and slow for 5-10 seconds on the concentrate temp setting. This will melt the dab into the SS mesh (like the evo and other convection vapes, you need to melt the dab into the mesh before it will vaporize fully).

Now engage the heater again and inhale for 20 seconds (or as close as you can get), and inhale as fast as you are comfortable with. You'll notice voluminous clouds very quickly! This produces dab levels of vapor!

The SS concentrate pads are very similar to the S & B pads for the Mighty/Crafty, less thick and a slightly smaller diameter. I would advise boiling all concentrate pads in water for at least an hour in a pyrex vessel (use a double boiler or similar), they can have a kind of machine shop flavor like a lot of metal components in various vapes do otherwise...

All in all, despite the complaints about batteries and the high price, some may find it a little restrictive for their liking. The FF2 isn't the most restricted but it is not one of the less restrictive vapes that I've used either.

I strongly recommend this for those who don't want to compromise on flavor, nor clouds for on-demand (almost, very few vapes are truly on-demand in my view!) portable dabs, but are prepared to pay the price to get there.

For those who wondered, the vape has an app which apparently allows for setting temps with a temp slider by increments of 10f. The max temp is 500f from memory. I just use the preset temp for Concentrates with the power boost setting at 105%. I do recommend purchasing from the manufacturer directly if you don't want to use the app at all where possible.

The latest firmware now allows the user to change the temp settings between the 7 original presets (see the FF2 website) without using the app (using the touch buttons on the device instead)! You will need to use the app to access more specific and broader range of temp settings, as well as other functions and support/help with using the device.

It isn't perfect, it isn't pretty. It isn't even new, but IMO, as many in our various haunts have recognized before I did, this is a great concentrate vaporizer for flavor/cloud chasers. Just be prepared to make the abovementioned compromises if you want to take your portable dabbing experience to this level. I recommend this for concentrate users who tend to use tastier material like low temp flower rosin, hash rosin, full melt hashes of various kinds and any solvent extracts you might enjoy, especially these new live resin terp sauces. Be ready for surprisingly good flavor. Just remember that like a dab in the evo, that outstanding taste comes in the first few large rips. You'll get a few more rips after this depending on your temp, but it will gradually have less and less flavor.

I'm sure there's plenty missing here, but please do ask any questions that you might have about using the Firefly 2 for concentrates!

Please note: I do not have any flower related experience with this vape so cannot answer those kinds of questions. :peace:

Many of us may have heard of the Firefly 2 by now. It isn't exactly new. It released to some mixed feelings as a flower vape. There were definitely some major downsides. However, I'd always looked at this vape and thought that it would shine (if you'll forgive the pun) for concentrate use.

For flower use, it seemed very sensitive to draw technique and grind style/packing of load and you could just as easily get minimal clouds as a reasonable rip.

The battery life is quite disappointing. There's no way to get around mentioning that IMO. For concentrate purposes (which I'll go into more below), it'll do 5 good dabs at high temp before you're reaching for the charger (or a spare battery, they are at a least removable!).

Also disappointing is the fact that the unit does not ship with an external battery charger. Those user removable batteries are not so useful for those with large dosage needs without an external charger so they can charge one battery while using another.

I have read and seen corroborated across the web that the OG Firefly external battery charger works with the FF2 battery, and can be purchased from a number of vendors still.

I also read at one time that the manufacturer were working on an FF2 external battery charger, although cannot confirm at this time if it works.

A little while ago, I got my hands on one of these for concentrate use only. I had always suspected and heard from some people in that other forum that this was a great vape for portable concentrate use. Much like the Evo and other convection desktops but with battery limitations.

On that note, if you want to try one of these: Get extra batteries. Even if you can't find an external charger right away. While you're at home dabbing, charge a battery for the FF2. Even without the external charger, this will be manageable for most. I have fully charged a completely dead battery using the supplied charging dock (I wish it was just a USB port like everything else is these days! The dock does not keep the unit attached and so moving it around while charging is a PITA. It is not compatible with all USB powerbanks either, so keep that in mind) via 1.5 amp USB in just under an hour.

The reason why I say all this and recommend getting extra batteries, is that this thing is unparalleled as a portable concentrate vaporizer for flavor and even clouds! I have not used mine for flower, only concentrates.

I am pleased to report that this WILL VAPE FULL MELT!!!!! It tastes wonderful too, better than any pen I've hit and the clouds and effects will not disappoint. Unlike the experience with flower which was very mixed for many, depending on their preferred technique and grind, it is very consistent for concentrates! You just load up your dab in between two of the supplied concentrate pads (I find this gets the heat through the dab on both sides better than using one as the manufacturer recommends, and leads to reduced drain on battery life due to more efficient distribution of heat).

Then engage the heater by touching the capacative triggers and inhale long and slow for 5-10 seconds on the concentrate temp setting. This will melt the dab into the SS mesh (like the evo and other convection vapes, you need to melt the dab into the mesh before it will vaporize fully).

Now engage the heater again and inhale for 20 seconds (or as close as you can get), and inhale as fast as you are comfortable with. You'll notice voluminous clouds very quickly! This produces dab levels of vapor!

The SS concentrate pads are very similar to the S & B pads for the Mighty/Crafty, less thick and a slightly smaller diameter. I would advise boiling all concentrate pads in water for at least an hour in a pyrex vessel (use a double boiler or similar), they can have a kind of machine shop flavor like a lot of metal components in various vapes do otherwise...

All in all, despite the complaints about batteries and the high price, some may find it a little restrictive for their liking. The FF2 isn't the most restricted but it is not one of the less restrictive vapes that I've used either.

I strongly recommend this for those who don't want to compromise on flavor, nor clouds for on-demand (almost, very few vapes are truly on-demand in my view!) portable dabs, but are prepared to pay the price to get there.

For those who wondered, the vape has an app which apparently allows for setting temps with a temp slider by increments of 10f. The max temp is 500f from memory. I just use the preset temp for Concentrates with the power boost setting at 105%. I do recommend purchasing from the manufacturer directly if you don't want to use the app at all where possible.

The latest firmware now allows the user to change the temp settings between the 7 original presets (see the FF2 website) without using the app (using the touch buttons on the device instead)! You will need to use the app to access more specific and broader range of temp settings, as well as other functions and support/help with using the device.

It isn't perfect, it isn't pretty. It isn't even new, but IMO, as many in our various haunts have recognized before I did, this is a great concentrate vaporizer for flavor/cloud chasers. Just be prepared to make the abovementioned compromises if you want to take your portable dabbing experience to this level. I recommend this for concentrate users who tend to use tastier material like low temp flower rosin, hash rosin, full melt hashes of various kinds and any solvent extracts you might enjoy, especially these new live resin terp sauces. Be ready for surprisingly good flavor. Just remember that like a dab in the evo, that outstanding taste comes in the first few large rips. You'll get a few more rips after this depending on your temp, but it will gradually have less and less flavor.

I'm sure there's plenty missing here, but please do ask any questions that you might have about using the Firefly 2 for concentrates!

Please note: I do not have any flower related experience with this vape so cannot answer those kinds of questions. :peace:

I have often heard that the FF2 is very good for concentrates and I won't reiterate the many contentions regarding it as a flower vape. However, my thought had always been that you don't need a $330 device to boil off what is essentially a volatile substance.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. :thumbsup:

IHowever, my thought had always been that you don't need a $330 device to boil off what is essentially a volatile substance.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. :thumbsup:
Thanks bro, but one thing I'll point out is that the FF2 >>>>>>>> all pens and other portable concentrate vapes for flavor. There is no competition IMO, nothing else gives you on-demand rips and convective heating with materials that are easy to clean like this. As we've learned, to boil off this mixture of substances, you need controlled temp, and you need a lot of it. Pens can give a lot of heat quickly, but temp control varies and the heat is usually provided in a conductive way which is inadequate to melt and then vaporize whole trichome glands, aka full melt.

Vaporization of full melt requires high temps and very even heating of the entire load to get it melting and then vaporizing (oil on the other hand vaporizes relatively immediately, without so much of the distinct melting phase we see with full melt). On the other hand, oil extracts (rosin/BHO/QWISO/QWET/etc) are just the melting/soluble fraction inside the glands, they boil almost immediately with sufficient temp.

This also brings me to another important distinction: Unless you are using full melt, you and I are not volatilizing the exact same kind of substance (especially not for the purposes of efficient boiling).

It is worth the additional cash for that, if you, like me, are dabbing equally expensive to produce full melt. Let me clarify the FF2's niche: There is NO other temp controlled electronic, easily cleaned alternative for portable, on-demand full melt use that is made from safe materials. None.

All of the coil based pens I've used get clogged with the leftover parts of the trichome gland that don't melt, after which none are easy enough/necessarily possible to clean. The coil-less pens I've had have had ridiculous multi-component failures (I'm looking at Source Vape here especially) and been write-offs from the beginning, except for the puffco+, which like all white ceramic for dabbing is too difficult to get fully clean between bowls. I've not used my omnivap since getting my FF2!

In short, our situations may be apples and oranges man. I'm dabbing low yielding (1-5% from flower), expensive (even to DIY!) connoisseur quality concentrates with unparalleled flavor that needs to be tasted to justify the labor/expense of obtaining it.

By comparison, if one is dabbing typical BHO/etc that they bought cheaply or made themselves, I understand why one would be hesitant to spend so much on the vape. :peace:

Last edited:
2 vapes that have been in my radar for a while are the davinci iq and the ff2...
I had completely made my mind up about the iq, until you go saying it compares to the evo for taste... damn you...
But I'm still not up for all the tradeoffs with that one...

The ff2 on the other hand, is much more up my street... I don' care for battery life, I don't vape enough in 1 day to worry about that.. iv only ever done 2 consecutive dabs once.. caus @momofthegoons told me too... it knocked me out.. was asleep before 9pm...

it isn't pretty
Im surprised at this... iv not held one, but I have with the og ff, and I found it very aesthetically pleasing, and well made...
Maybe this is a matter of opinion..???

Anyway your post will caus me to buy one soon...
Im convinced....
Brilliant write up from you as always...

I know this isn't really relevant, but would it manage with some soft traditional hash....???
I know alot of people look down on it, but I have nostalgic attachment to it...

soft traditional hash....???
I know alot of people look down on it, but I have nostalgic attachment to it

\Look down on traditional hashish....no me, mate. I grew up on a USA east coast port city and was a teenager in the late 60's/early 70's and far eastern hashish (Pakistan, Afgan, Nepal, who the fuck knows what else) was what we smoked.

I would LOVE to get my hands on some traditional, hand made with a bit of heat, Afgan hash again. Oh my, I would worry about NY second about smoking it in a pipe (yes, Alice....combustion LOL)

Ok, I derailed the thread. Sorry.

2 vapes that have been in my radar for a while are the davinci iq and the ff2...
I had completely made my mind up about the iq, until you go saying it compares to the evo for taste... damn you...
But I'm still not up for all the tradeoffs with that one...
For flower use only where you require true portability, there'd be no hesitation in my recommending the IQ for you man. IMO the only glaring issue is the bowl size, which is easily remedied.

The ff2 on the other hand, is much more up my street... I don' care for battery life, I don't vape enough in 1 day to worry about that.. iv only ever done 2 consecutive dabs once.. caus @momofthegoons told me too... it knocked me out.. was asleep before 9pm...
Oh man yeah the main drawback of the FF2 for me is battery life, so if it doesn't matter for you, then it seems like a good fit for your needs!

Im surprised at this... iv not held one, but I have with the og ff, and I found it very aesthetically pleasing, and well made...
Maybe this is a matter of opinion..???
I mean in terms of the drawbacks (mainly battery life). Visually, it does look very good as you say!

Anyway your post will caus me to buy one soon...
Im convinced....
Brilliant write up from you as always...

I know this isn't really relevant, but would it manage with some soft traditional hash....???
I know alot of people look down on it, but I have nostalgic attachment to it...
As my friend @Baron23 pointed out above, very few of us around here turn up our noses at traditional hash, man. You're in the right place to ask this kind of question :D

IME, you could indeed use this with soft traditional hash. I have used it with a variety of hashes already, from 5-6 star bubble hash and dry sift, to lesser melting hashes which might compare more to your soft traditional hash. You will need to dose more hash for those hashes that melt less (they create less vapor) but the bowl has plenty of space for that.

\Look down on traditional hashish....no me, mate. I grew up on a USA east coast port city and was a teenager in the late 60's/early 70's and far eastern hashish (Pakistan, Afgan, Nepal, who the fuck knows what else) was what we smoked.

I would LOVE to get my hands on some traditional, hand made with a bit of heat, Afgan hash again. Oh my, I would worry about NY second about smoking it in a pipe (yes, Alice....combustion LOL)
Agreed my friend! Even using a flame to consume instead of a vape, I'd take traditional hash over flower a lot of the time. Especially high quality Afghan!

Ok ... thanks @herbivore21 for the recommendation! Much appreciated! So far so good, the FF2 is working out absolutely great for rosin!

Just used it while traveling over the weekend, and it was great for quick hits on the go. Pre-loaded a dab of concentrate between two pads which I put in a small silicone container, and when I was ready, placed in FF2, and took my hits; wiped down after every use or two when convenient. Probably used it 20-30 times since Friday, without cleaning the concentrate pads (and I only have the 2), and it still tastes amazing and everything seems nice and clean! Each dab is gone in 2 hits, so it's super quick and heavy hitting, while not wasting any concentrate. It's really a great device for both quality of hit and conservation of material since there is really no waste at all, unlike all other portable concentrate options I've tried.

Super awesome!

Ordered another dozen concentrate pads so I can "pre-load" a bunch for on the go. I'll need to get a little carrier like the S&B Mighty/Crafty capsule caddy to carry around pre-loaded sets of concentrate pads. Maybe design something myself and get a buddy to 3D print it ... or build something out of oak or maple or something ... wouldn't be too difficult I imagine ... that being said, silicone would be ideal for this :)

Edit: Hmmm ... I wonder if my Mighty/Crafty capsule caddy will actually just work for sets of the FF concentrate pads ...?

Ok ... thanks @herbivore21 for the recommendation! Much appreciated! So far so good, the FF2 is working out absolutely great for rosin!

Just used it while traveling over the weekend, and it was great for quick hits on the go. Pre-loaded a dab of concentrate between two pads which I put in a small silicone container, and when I was ready, placed in FF2, and took my hits; wiped down after every use or two when convenient. Probably used it 20-30 times since Friday, without cleaning the concentrate pads (and I only have the 2), and it still tastes amazing and everything seems nice and clean! Each dab is gone in 2 hits, so it's super quick and heavy hitting, while not wasting any concentrate. It's really a great device for both quality of hit and conservation of material since there is really no waste at all, unlike all other portable concentrate options I've tried.

Super awesome!

Ordered another dozen concentrate pads so I can "pre-load" a bunch for on the go. I'll need to get a little carrier like the S&B Mighty/Crafty capsule caddy to carry around pre-loaded sets of concentrate pads. Maybe design something myself and get a buddy to 3D print it ... or build something out of oak or maple or something ... wouldn't be too difficult I imagine ... that being said, silicone would be ideal for this :)

Edit: Hmmm ... I wonder if my Mighty/Crafty capsule caddy will actually just work for sets of the FF concentrate pads ...?
Greetings my friend! I'm so glad to see you joining us here, and happier still to learn that you've had such success with the FF2 as I have. It has been indispensable as I've been travelling with my work in recent times (many of you will have noticed I've been largely absent here lately, I do apologize!).

Please do let me know if you find out that the S&B concentrate pad caddies work man, that would be a wonderful thing to have for folks like us!

Hi there
I'm glad I found a forum where the subject of vaporize hash is thorougly treated. I heard and read, that the ff2 is a (very) good vaporizer for herbs and concentrates/oil. Still I read a review on a website treating different vaporizer for hash/wax/rasin and the ff2 was considered as bad or insufficient. Though the author admitted not to have tried out the ff2 very extendedly and said, it could be, that there could be ways to handle the ff2 also with hash.
I read things like putting some unbleached cotton or hemp fibre in the container and put the hash on the cotton (as there are no drip pads). Is that true and/or are there other possibilities?

Hi there
I'm glad I found a forum where the subject of vaporize hash is thorougly treated. I heard and read, that the ff2 is a (very) good vaporizer for herbs and concentrates/oil. Still I read a review on a website treating different vaporizer for hash/wax/rasin and the ff2 was considered as bad or insufficient. Though the author admitted not to have tried out the ff2 very extendedly and said, it could be, that there could be ways to handle the ff2 also with hash.
I read things like putting some unbleached cotton or hemp fibre in the container and put the hash on the cotton (as there are no drip pads). Is that true and/or are there other possibilities?

I don't have a ff2 either, but I do like the stainless steel mesh better than cotton or hemp fiber. Of course you'd have to use a hash that melts or iow a higher quality hash. Lesser quality hash needs to be mixed with herb or simply combusted. You can use another companies pads and reshape to your vape. Do you have a ff2?

And WELCOME To the asylum!!!

Thanks to momofthegoons for your answer and your welcome greeting.

I don't have a ff2 but a Volcano Digit and a Mighty. For a portable device the Mighty is nice but not ideal for hash.
Well, I am especially talking about a firefly 2 but If someone has another recommendation for a portable vaper that is good or better than the ff2 for hash, I would be glad to hear about.

I guess a mesh is the same as a screen? (English is not my first language, so please, be patient with me). If yes;
- So I ought to put the screen directly on the bottom of the herbchamber (?)
- I guess hash - even with a soft consistence - doesn't melt through the screen (?)
- Shall I but a concentrate pad upon the hash or not ?
And I still have two very general questions where I'm insecure about for quite some time:
- Is it true, that wax doesn't stand for hash whereas rosin and resin mean the same as hash in discussions about vaporizing ?
and IMO an important question:
- Is a higher temperature really good or even necessary for vaping hash ? If yes: up to what temperature shall hash be heated in a vaporizer to develop its full potential?

Looking forward to hearing (reading) from you

I guess a mesh is the same as a screen?
No... the mesh @Shredder was recommending is more like this (the one below is for the Vapor Genie but they are all pretty much the same):

flat--liquid-pad-750x.jpg

You would place the concentrate on the mesh, and place the mesh on top of the screen.

My understanding, and I hope someone else will jump in if I'm wrong, is that while hash is plant resin, it has more plant matter in it than rosin (which is squished from plant matter).

Last edited:
No... the mesh @Shredder was recommending is more like this (the one below is for the Vapor Genie but they are all pretty much the same):

View attachment 6792

You would place the concentrate on the mesh, and place the mesh on top of the screen.

My understanding, and I hope someone else will jump in if I'm wrong, is that while hash is plant resin, it has more plant matter in it than rosin (which is squished from plant matter).

Rosin and bubble hash are basically the same thing, just rendered differently. Both can be "dirty" or clean, depending on how it was made. Full melt hash is a higher quality with no or little plant material. Full melt will melt in the mesh pad. Lesser quality hash might not melt, and will be better mixed with herb. Hope this helps

Thank you for your help.
I take into consideration what you said. And like so often; after collecting informations and making a selection, there's no getting round buying some equipment and "stuff" to be able to make a final evaluation.
After having done this I will share my experiences and conclusions with you.

there's no getting round buying some equipment and "stuff" to be able to make a final evaluation.
An unfortunate truth lol... Which often becomes VAS (Vaporizer Aquisition Syndrome) which can also lead to GAS (Glass Acquisition Syndrome). And we actually have developed a few other syndromes here at the asylum. :lol:

I look forward to your thoughts. :smile:

Thank you for your help.
I take into consideration what you said. And like so often; after collecting informations and making a selection, there's no getting round buying some equipment and "stuff" to be able to make a final evaluation.

It's all for the advancement of science. One small step for @Sometimes, one giant leap for science! Just keep telling yourself that.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back