Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow First Grow

Biskit

Okay I have been reading and trying to understand stuff for about a month now. While my state has passed medical laws they still want me to spend an absolute fortune to purchase my meds. After being in pain management since 2005, finding a solution just last year that can help and doesn’t involve more opiates is fantastic! With that said, I’m cheap and have done a lot of work to determine my best bang for the buck. When purchasing that means concentrates but if I can grow a plant or two a couple times a year I think I can meet my med requirements. Before spending too much on a grow tent, lights and all I wanted to try first. So I found in a local ad, some fluorescent fixtures with 160w of 5000K colored lights for $4/fixture so I purchased all 6 of them. I’m planning on using my unfinished basement to grow in and I have some feminized auto seeds coming. Now, with the autos I’m planning on growing them in 5G pots with soil after popping the seeds in a tray first.
now I know that won’t give me the best yield or the finest product but for a minimum investment, it should give me an idea of the difficulty (we usually have a kitchen garden outside each Spring) without investing hundreds into something that may or may not work out.
I have purchased a ph meter to test my water before using it. I’m wondering if I can use a local soil for raised bed gardening or if it is worthwhile to order in some Fox Farms dirt? Is there anything I’m not taking in? Some important point or idea I haven’t thought of? Maybe the tent is necessary to control odor? Anything appreciated!

Good luck with your grow! :weed:

Are you talking about compact fluorescent fixtures? Wondering how efficiently they'll cover the space you intend to use.

It's good to start with autos. They're more challenging in that you can't afford to have them stall in veg. They need to be growing fast from germination on. Otherwise, they'll start flowering when they're still small. The steeper learning curve will pay dividends in subsequent grows. For autos, you can get by with three gallon pots. Recommend air pots. They produce clearly superior root balls, IME.

Had no success with soil growing, so no good advice. You might look into the super soil method.

Haven't found tents to be especially useful, but also have no odor problems. That's probably the result of good ventilation, which is key, IME. Plan it out with intake, exhaust and circulation fans, if possible. Humidity is another very important variable that's frequently overlooked. Get a thermometer/hygrometer.

That's all that comes to mind for now. Check out AV's grow journals and autoflower.net, a community with highly relevant experience.

Thank you, Disrupt for the info. I should have mentioned I do,have a,thermometer/hygrometer for the grow but the basement is unfinished. Basically a below-ground space framed in 2x4s. I’m in zone 5 and my climate tends to be very very dry. I believe Psychonaut is growing in about the same conditions. I’ll take photos as things get going and I’ll appreciate all the input!

the fixtures are 48” T5 bulbs with 4 in each and 40w per. So that’s about a 2’x4’ space it covers with 160w. I figured because fluorescents aren’t that good I’d just fire up 3 of them for 2 plants. i was thinking a single fixture directly above the girls and then one each on the sides to try for full coverage? I have 6 of the fixtures in total if more would help. If it works out and I find the hobby enjoyable I’m sure I will change to different lights and make adjustments as I learn more. Really appreciate everybody sharing their knowledge here!

thanks for starting this thread biskit, gives me a chance to ask some extremely basic questions. i have never seriously considered growing myself as i reside in an apartment in a big city, no garden, no basement, no private balcony, and oh, also it is illegal here. the pandemic has cut my supply chain, and i am looking at what i have left with some trepidation. so, the idea of becoming somewhat more autonomous is very attractive, not to mention that i really like the idea of nursing my own plant(s). but of course i have to be mindful of the neighbours here. and from what i can gather the odor can become quite strong? as in: 1 plant will smell up the stairway? the intensity is strain specific? are there non-smelly stealth plants? i have a lot of natural light here, could i get around an involved setup with artificial lights etc? put it next to my tomato and play them some bach? sorry, i bet i could find answers to a lot of these questions if i put in the effort to research this properly. at this point i am just curious whether it is worth it to begin with. i do like projects. i dont like trouble.

Last edited:
the fixtures are 48” T5 bulbs with 4 in each and 40w per. So that’s about a 2’x4’ space it covers with 160w. I figured because fluorescents aren’t that good I’d just fire up 3 of them for 2 plants. i was thinking a single fixture directly above the girls and then one each on the sides to try for full coverage?

For even a single plant, you'd need more than 160W above, and your light will be spread out over four feet, so not all of it will be usable by the plant. Could you get four of the fixtures side by side in a 4' x 4' space? You could grow four autos in that space which should produce 8-16 ounces of flower. Haven't tried supplemental side lighting. Research it - it might not be as useful as you hope.

Dry is better than wet, especially in a basement. Mold is your worst enemy. Recommend Aircare evaporative humidifiers for small spaces. Of course, you might not have a small space, which would be one reason to use a tent. You'll need to get your humidity up to around 65% for young plants. (You'll lower it later in flower to prevent mold.)

and from what i can gather the odor can become quite strong? as in: 1 plant will smell up the stairway? the intensity is strain specific? are there non-smelly stealth plants? i have a lot of natural light here, could i get around an involved setup with artificial lights etc? put it next to my tomato and play them some bach? sorry, i bet i could find answers to a lot of these questions if i put in the effort to research this properly. at this point i am just curious whether it is worth it to begin with. i do like projects. i dont like trouble.

Only had a problem with odor growing out stash seed in the 1990s. With good ventilation, a single plant produces only a pleasant floral fragrance, IME. That said, some strains are described as low odor.

You can grow one plant in a closet - check out the grow journal. Don't know about using natural light exclusively. Plants need a lot of light to produce. The rule of thumb is one Watt per gram yield. Your plants would certainly welcome supplemental, full-spectrum natural light, however.

ok another basic question: what about height?
while financially this is entirely out of the question for me atm, i have come across ready to go stealth grow cabinets. appealing. but those can be really small. one i was looking at only had a useable height of 60cm (24inch). i would prefer sativa dominant strains i think, but those want to grow tall i gather, much taller than 60cm. is it possible to keep them small as well? i know there are growing approaches like scrog and sog (not that i understand them yet. or their names), but surely there are natural limits to how small you can keep a plant? maybe not. i am really not very worried about yield. if anything i would welcome a smaller harvest i think, growing looks fun!

1587669360112.png

while financially this is entirely out of the question for me atm, i have come across ready to go stealth grow cabinets. appealing. but those can be really small. one i was looking at only had a useable height of 60cm (24inch). i would prefer sativa dominant strains i think, but those want to grow tall i gather, much taller than 60cm. is it possible to keep them small as well? i know there are growing approaches like scrog and sog (not that i understand them yet. or their names), but surely there are natural limits to how small you can keep a plant? maybe not. i am really not very worried about yield. if anything i would welcome a smaller harvest i think, growing looks fun!

View attachment 17998
l’m not one to know about growing actually?
Now I have grown large area’s when it was illegal.
I grew indoor’s and started with a small cabinet?
Indica’s you can do it.
SATIVA’S not so much?
Outdoor’s is better if location is favorable?
Indoor’s if you have challenges?
SATIVA’S for reading and coffee. (POV)
INDICA’s for movies and popcorn. (POV)
Their is not a right or wrong way. (Just a way?)
A matter of opinion and preference for HYBRID strain’s. (GDP, PINEAPPLE EXPRESS, GSC for example work for my need’s?)
Shorter than pure SATIVA. (HYBRID’s are smaller than SATIVA’S)
I have at least 100 seed’s of DUTCH CRUNCH (SATIVA based HYBRID) to plant next season outside if my family let’s me?
CANNABIS is getting cheaper lately?

Last edited:
thanks ataxian. yes, outdoors would be preferable for a lot of reasons, but it is unfortunately not an option here.
reading & coffee & movies & popcorn - i like it all. tough choice between movies & reading, but coffee clearly trumps popcorn.
i generally prefer the euphoric to the relaxed, but i honestly couldn't identify what strain i have here with me, i dont get to pick. temperature makes a difference (for me), and i just read that the timing of harvest also influences whether it would go better with popcorn or coffee. maybe there is enough flexibility to just go with an indica.
and any plant is attractive to me right now. reading through descriptions of how the effects of different strains (apparently) vary from each other is fascinating, calling for experimentation. i was never particularly good with plants, but i am ready to grow green thumbs now.
but all this will take me a long good while to get started on i think. lots of ins & outs.
& yes. hybrids seem to make a lot more sense, lowryder was one that looked good to me. but i only just scratched the surface of what is there.

Last edited:
thanks ataxian. yes, outdoors would be preferable for a lot of reasons, but it is unfortunately not an option here.
reading & coffee & movies & popcorn - i like it all. tough choice between movies & reading, but coffee clearly trumps popcorn.
i generally prefer the euphoric to the relaxed, but i honestly couldn't identify what strain i have here with me, i dont get to pick. temperature makes a difference (for me), and i just read that the timing of harvest also influences whether it would go better with popcorn or coffee. maybe there is enough flexibility to just go with an indica.
and any plant is attractive to me right now. reading through descriptions of how the effects of different strains (apparently) vary from each other is fascinating, calling for experimentation. i was never particularly good with plants, but i am ready to grow green thumbs now.
but all this will take me a long good while to get started on i think. lots of ins & outs.
& yes. hybrids seem to make a lot more sense, lowryder was one that looked good to me. but i only just scratched the surface of what is there.
@momofthegoons or @Baron23 would know better than most?
Right now I’m having cheap tasty SATIVA while studying ARCTIC ICE CAP’S.
Penguin’s only are mainly in the South Pole?
Polar Bear’s scare them maybe?
My SATIVA is a HAZE based I like for the LEMON flavor.
Why is CANNABIS not cultural?
Coffee is acceptable?
STARBUCKS = STARCAN (my attemp at being funny?)

Last edited:

View attachment 17998
Funny you should ask because I ran across this article this morning....

How To Grow A Cannabis Bonsai Tree

40EC8B17-CC7F-403F-ABB9-D79EFC3FC783.jpeg

If you’re dreaming of nurturing your own bonsai tree from watching Mr. Miyagi in Karate Kid, this is your chance. Not only can you shape a marijuana plant into a cannabis bonsai, it might be the best way to start trying your hand at this ancient craft.

Firstly, what is a bonsai tree?

Contrary to popular belief, “bonsai” doesn’t refer to a specific species of tree. Rather, it’s a way to grow and shape a tree. It’s a well-known Japanese art form of designing a very small tree to closely resemble its much larger counterpart in the wild. These trees are almost always grown in a container and any type of tree can be a bonsai. However, some are easier to train and style than others.

You can grow your own bonsai with seeds or a small cutting. Curiously, most people opt for a tree from a nursery. This is likely because it is easier. Growing and shaping a bonsai tree isn’t necessarily difficult, either. It’s just a matter of putting in the time and the patience it requires. For some trees, it may take years to achieve the style you’re looking for.

The three most common types of bonsai are slanted, formal, and informal. Using simple techniques like pruning and wiring, you can bend branches to grow in a particular shape while keeping the tree miniature. Through careful and creative planning, you can produce an aesthetically pleasing bonsai tree. For many, this can be a fulfilling and even a zen-like practice. Following long-term commitment to the tree, some even begin to think of their bonsais like family.

Here is how to you can grow a cannabis bonsai tree:

You can use marijuana to grow a bonsai tree. You can yield your bonsai from cannabis seed or trim of an existing tree. Cannabis grows faster than trees. Fortunately, this means you can break into the art of bonsai without the decade long commitment. Losing a bonsai tree after such a long time can feel devastating. This may be a little bit softer of a place to start. In addition, if you’ve never had your own weed plants before, it can be a fun way to learn how to grow cannabis.

The most important part of a healthy plant is the soil. You’ll need to keep your weed bonsai in a pot that’s on the smaller side. This soil needs to hydrate and retains water very well. We also recommend that you drill small holes around the lip of the pot. This way, you’ll have something tocan anchor the shaping wire on.

How do I shape my weed bonsai tree?

Once you’ve installed your cutting or seed in its new home, tie the stem to a wooden stake. This will train the growth of the plant. Once it starts emitting branches, you can prune and train your weed bonsai in the design you prefer using wiring. In order to stunt the plant into a miniature bonsai style, you’ll need to actively prune the plant to prevent vertical growth.

Pruning also allows light and airflow to reach the nether regions of the plant. Interestingly, it can even help prevent mold. Mold is a threat to your baby bonsai and needs to be minded while growing cannabis.

This is how to harvest your weed bonsai:

This is where the process of growing your own cannabis bonsai gets exciting. At a certain point, you will be ready to harvest your little guy’s buds to smoke them. Keep a close eye on the trichomes and small hair-like pistils. These little features turn from white to orange and deeper in shade. This is one simple way to discern when your flowers are mature and ready to pick.

After you’ve harvested your buds from your bonsai tree, you can keep the plant around as a work of art. This cannabis plant can be put it into a vegetative state so that it can flower again. You may wish to start a new weed bonsai with your bonsai friend. The beauty of using marijuana for bonsai is the quick and recurring gratification. It is likely that you will see this weed plant sprout and grow to be fruitful again.

How long will my cannabis bonsai tree last?

You can keep a cannabis bonsai tree around for multiple seasons. It is worthy to note that each season may result in loss of potency. The stems may also become more stiff over time. This does make your bonsai harder to shape. If you’re planning on maintaining your bonsai for a couple of years, be sure to give it the right nutrition, and trim the roots when they fill the pot.

Most importantly, do not stress if your first weed bonsai doesn’t turn out. Thanks to their quick growing time, you can start this again in no time.

Okay I am gathering some items. I have my T8 light fixtures and I just purchased some new 54W tubes so I’ll have some fixture with 200W. I have a 30”x30” tent that somebody never even removed from the box. I keep going back and forth on a couple of 5 gallon DWC buckets vs. soil. I’ve grown othermvegetables and fruit in soil but nothing in water so it may be the right time to try something new?

On with the first cheap grow to see if I enjoy! The tent guy tells me it’s sold...after I’m on the way to grab it! But I do have 6 4’ T8 fixtures with 160W per. One of them is having the tubes removed, the socket repositioned, and will have 200W of new grow tubes installed. My first girl will be growing in a Lowe’s (local big box home improvement store) 3.5g plastic pot with ph neutral raised bed garden dirt in it. I will start with seeds from Seed-City because I found the best deal for a small amount of seeds there. 3 big bud auto and 2 short stuff #1 beans.
so far:

T8 light fixtures 6 @ $4 each - $24
T5 grow bulbs(5 total, I’ll keep a spare) - $25
Pot - $3.50
Dirt (shared with the garden plot) - $2.50
Seeds - $17.33

Total - $72.33

I have always felt that half the work you put into a project will give you around an 80% result. Double that amount and you are approaching perfection.

with that said, I realize there are a lot of pros out there trying to get from 97%-98% and really nail it but I just want the 80% to start. Towards that end, it appears I should not skimp on both lighting and a ph tester. My tap water is around 9 on the strips. It appears to get my 80% I really need to buy a light and a tester so I can water with the proper ph. I found a used Philzon 2000W version locally and that has now been added to the grow. Can I make do with the %15-ish ph tester from Amazon or do I need better?

* Edit *
edited to add LED lamp - $110

I have purchased and used at least 6 different pens(some quite expensive) and have settled on these (I have 2),
and some calibration fluid,

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back