Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Extraction Flashvape Rosin Press

nosmoking

I really did not want to post other options in this thread considering the current title is D-Nail Rosin Press but I stumbled across this earlier today and thought it looked decent and I consider flashvape to be a quality considerate manufacturer.
I posted about my current DIY press in a similar named thread created on a simlar but different forum so I am not actually looking for a press anymore, however I would have deeply considered this one had I seen it prior to making my decision.

https://flashvape.com/product/fv-rosin-tech-bench-top-rosin-press-20t-3-x-5-plates/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have started a new thread for this; so as not to derail the other press thread. I think that @herbivore21 will be on and give you his feedback.

And @Baron23 herbivore asked me to tag you to join in on the conversation.

Hi Mom and @herbivore21 - well, this is certainly a more reasonably priced option. Looks like what you would expect, a hydraulic jack in a press frame but it doesn't appear to have any supporting structure for the jack....its just bolted (??) to the bottom. Oh, and note that the jack itself is not included (which ain't a biggie but...). Also, instead of using Hot Runner type flat coils, it has a straight SS heating rod. Fine with me, as long as these can be sourced elsewhere in case Flashvape doesn't stay around because heating elements will fail (I'm sure if you look, you can find them...surely Flashvape doesn't have them custom made).

So Mom...you seem to know this vendor and the quality of its products. What do you own that they have made, if I may ask?

You have made some good points @Baron23

A couple things to note tho- the SS heating rods seem to be a more efficient and even heating source where as the flat coil types tend to waste a lot of heat since they are not typically sealing the heatsource. My SS heating rods have a lip to seal the gaps in the hole they fit in so minimal heat is getting lost. They extend the entire length of the plate as well si the plates heat much more evenly than if I were to heat them from one central point.

Also, I think your mixing up your mods from an old forum. It is @pakaloolo that has always been a big supporter of Flashvape

Not sure why you would think that? :thinker: I do not own anything of theirs......

I consider flashvape to be a quality considerate manufacturer.

My bad, guess I misunderstood.

You have made some good points @Baron23

A couple things to note tho- the SS heating rods seem to be a more efficient and even heating source where as the flat coil types tend to waste a lot of heat since they are not typically sealing the heatsource. My SS heating rods have a lip to seal the gaps in the hole they fit in so minimal heat is getting lost. They extend the entire length of the plate as well si the plates heat much more evenly than if I were to heat them from one central point.

Oh, I agree about the heating rod vs coil as most likely distributing the heat more evenly, etc. Whose product are you using with the SS rod heaters?

My complete setup was $630. A harbor freight 20 ton H press for $150 including tax after a 20% off coupon. Lowtemp 3x5 caged plates with heaters and single controller for $479.

The plates heat up quick but I did find them to run hotter than the controller stated temp by 8-10 Celsius.

Im a newbie here and this is my first post. Im also new to vaping, but my current real interest is in rosintech. When comparing rosintech gear options, I found this thread, and after some research, I decided on the Flashvape rosintech press kit with 3*5 plates. It was pretty much a no brainer, since I am also in Vancouver. I contacted the manufacturer, flashvape, and got my hands on a set yesterday (they were sold out for a while and just restocked). Being local, I figured this is by far the better option for warranty if there were to be any issues. :cool: So far, everything looks legit and top notch in build quality... Im really digging the magnetic side mount controller, it just looks so dope compared with similar priced kits, but shipped from overseas. I can picture it right now hanging off the side of the press :smug:

Im going to pick up the motomaster 10T tabletop press tomorrow and report back after everything is set up, with some photos to show.

Can't wait! Cheers everyone!

BTW, maybe MODS should consider moving this to the CONCENTRATES section, it'll make this tech easier to find for others who are also interested.

ok, Im back. Finally got a hold of the press earlier today after it was sold out at my local CT... wtf there must be alot of squishing going on in the 604! LOL

c53IfJY.jpg

so all my flashvape rosintech gear is ready to go onto this motomaster 10T benchtop press, for the ultimate upgrade into an awesome rosin press. yeeah!

so a quick look inside the box:

otgJaUj.jpg

A9iOnVX.jpg

all you need to get the job done is 2 large wrenches (for tightening that huge pressure guage) and a 11/16" socket wrench with a short extension for the nuts and bolts.
press is up in 10 min and tested to 10T, all good, no leaks! notice that arching of the top beam... thats not because there is something wrong with the camera on my phone ! LOL

zHVFQQF.jpg

in less than 5 min the fv rosintech gear's all hooked up. the only tool needed is a 7/32" allen key... woot woot that was easy! time to rebadge a little with that cool flashvape sticker....

rw2V1xP.jpg

a couple of zip ties got me looking spick and span back there :)

PNMvz1Y.jpg

F7zxWqd.jpg

all done in 15 min, just waiting to get hooked up and squishing! be back tomorrow to continue this 710 saga , its now time to meet a couple of friends for some drinks and some dabs. cheers! :cheers:

Last edited:
Part 2: The Big Squish

... after a couple crazy busy days of non-stop work, I finally got some time to myself, so lets do this.

I have a big bag of killer Train Wreck my licensed grower buddy has so graciously provided for pressing. thanks G! looks like there will be some wicked TW rosin to go around real soon...

so a 10g load of bud went into the handy little FV pre-press mold. a little bit of elbow grease later (in a small arbor press), I've got me a nice looking puck. I broke up the large buds to remove steam, and roughly chopped up the buds into smaller pieces. I really dig this mold, the press-through design makes it so easy to use, and the magnets hold the tray real tight while moving it around. you can't see it but I've cut 2 rectangular pieces of small parchment paper to line the top and bottom of the tray so the puck won't stick for easy removal after the puck is formed.

as per my discussions with Mr.FV at his shop, bud needs to be soft and sticky-icky to get high yields. so I made sure this batch of TW is fresh and not too dry. i think 60% humidity was mentioned, but that's getting a little bit too scientific for me... just sticky-icky will do here.

7u0PKrH.jpg

i placed the puck (in FV 95 micron rosin bag) in the middle of the parchment paper, so its easy to get center position once the folded parchment is placed between the plates.

3tY1SKO.jpg

... after the parchment and puck is in center position on the plate, down does the ram and the big squish is underway. temp set to 200F, pre-heated for full 20min with the plates CLOSED (thanks for the tip Mr.FV!), so when I tested with a kitchen thermometer the surface temperature was around 195F... perfect!

... another great tip from Mr.FV: build up the pressure slowly, 1T at a time, every 10 seconds.

following the formula and about 50 seconds in, rosin is really flowing (at this point, pressure is to around 5T):

w8KhuwX.jpg

.... another 30 seconds and a few hard pumps later, and pressure to 8T, this is whats happening:

HPmjstI.jpg

So the squish was finished in around 1:45 sec, when no more bubbles were observed. pressure was upped very close to 10T toward the end.

result:

y4gtQ6o.jpg

notice sides of the bags held with no issues, very minimal blowout. on the open end of the bag there's some chip squirt, but no big deal... there seems a lot less rosin lost/trapped in the bag's corners/sides than some stitched bags I've seen before.

and finally after collection, 1.95g of the finest TW rosin, terpy as hell!

gEuPqMY.jpg

So... final calculations: 19.5% yield from the first 10g Train Wreck press using Flashvape Rosin-tech 3x5 plates, on Motomaster 10T shop press.

Cost: Flashvape 3x5 Plates/Controller $450 CAD
Motomaster 10T Shop Press $290 CAD
--------------------------------------------------------
Total: $740 CAD
Optional gear: Pre-press mold: $100 CAD

having been around the block several times with 420 gear purchases, this sure is very reasonable for the overall build quality I got.

... we have a winner here!

Looks like we'll be running the same gear indeed! It's nice to find Canadian suppliers ta boot - did you get the filter bags from FV as well?

Have you played around with temperatures much? Results from higher pressure/lower temp should be reasonable, and chips go into the budder bucket anyways, so we're not missing much regardless. I haven't really kept track of results, but will once this unit is set up...

Thanks again for the detailed and well documented post - it was inspirational :)

yes, the bags are FV 95u mesh bags. I've actually ordered some more bags yesterday, and was told that the design has been tweaked slightly, and the new FV mesh bags are now about an inch longer so the opening can be folded. Personally, I actually prefer it just the right length and open, so I think I will just trim it back a little, so they are the same length as before.

So an update - stopped by the local Crappy Tire to see if the press had arrived, only to find out that it's not in the system. At all. So chickiepoo looks it up and finds one not that far away (4 hour drive, or 4 day shipping). So the short story is now it should be here by this weekend, and the extra good news was they somehow found it for s cheaper $181.25.

So plates are sitting on the floor behind me, with the pre-press. I'm getting twitchy :)

Part 2: The Big Squish

... after a couple crazy busy days of non-stop work, I finally got some time to myself, so lets do this.

I have a big bag of killer Train Wreck my licensed grower buddy has so graciously provided for pressing. thanks G! looks like there will be some wicked TW rosin to go around real soon...

so a 10g load of bud went into the handy little FV pre-press mold. a little bit of elbow grease later (in a small arbor press), I've got me a nice looking puck. I broke up the large buds to remove steam, and roughly chopped up the buds into smaller pieces. I really dig this mold, the press-through design makes it so easy to use, and the magnets hold the tray real tight while moving it around. you can't see it but I've cut 2 rectangular pieces of small parchment paper to line the top and bottom of the tray so the puck won't stick for easy removal after the puck is formed.

as per my discussions with Mr.FV at his shop, bud needs to be soft and sticky-icky to get high yields. so I made sure this batch of TW is fresh and not too dry. i think 60% humidity was mentioned, but that's getting a little bit too scientific for me... just sticky-icky will do here.

7u0PKrH.jpg

i placed the puck (in FV 95 micron rosin bag) in the middle of the parchment paper, so its easy to get center position once the folded parchment is placed between the plates.

3tY1SKO.jpg

... after the parchment and puck is in center position on the plate, down does the ram and the big squish is underway. temp set to 200F, pre-heated for full 20min with the plates CLOSED (thanks for the tip Mr.FV!), so when I tested with a kitchen thermometer the surface temperature was around 195F... perfect!

... another great tip from Mr.FV: build up the pressure slowly, 1T at a time, every 10 seconds.

following the formula and about 50 seconds in, rosin is really flowing (at this point, pressure is to around 5T):

w8KhuwX.jpg

.... another 30 seconds and a few hard pumps later, and pressure to 8T, this is whats happening:

HPmjstI.jpg

So the squish was finished in around 1:45 sec, when no more bubbles were observed. pressure was upped very close to 10T toward the end.

result:

y4gtQ6o.jpg

notice sides of the bags held with no issues, very minimal blowout. on the open end of the bag there's some chip squirt, but no big deal... there seems a lot less rosin lost/trapped in the bag's corners/sides than some stitched bags I've seen before.

and finally after collection, 1.95g of the finest TW rosin, terpy as hell!

gEuPqMY.jpg

So... final calculations: 19.5% yield from the first 10g Train Wreck press using Flashvape Rosin-tech 3x5 plates, on Motomaster 10T shop press.

Cost: Flashvape 3x5 Plates/Controller $450 CAD
Motomaster 10T Shop Press $290 CAD
--------------------------------------------------------
Total: $740 CAD
Optional gear: Pre-press mold: $100 CAD

having been around the block several times with 420 gear purchases, this sure is very reasonable for the overall build quality I got.

... we have a winner here!
Can you please tell me how you got all of that rosin, squished all over the pressing parchment, into that nice little pile on clean parchment. Seriously, how did you collect this rosin after pressing?

Pardon my intrusion, but its common to put the parchment on a cold surface for a minute or two, and then scrape it off (it falls off with very little effort). Then put that pile on parchment and press that into a nice thin disk...

One of the vids showed parchment being held on a cold pak while being scraped...

So this is one of the vids I mentioned. It's not specifically Flashvape press oriented, but it's very handy for figuring out how the whole 'squish' thing works.

http://www.rollitup.org/t/275-diy-rosin-plates-pid-controller-and-press.936400/

And here's a vid from the same person of an entire OZ squish. Rawk and roll!

Last edited by a moderator:
So... first thoughts include Freakin Awesome for the most part. The press makes funky creaky noises above 7k, but that's ok. Stand off to the side and squint for safety. It also flexed more than i liked, but it was cheap enough to expect worse, so squint and bear it... more on that...

So the plastic foldy tablie thingie was a bit too light. Hey, there's a patio end table, steel frame, ceramic tile insert into steel top. That'll work in the office, so onwards and upwards. Get everything set up, test to 10 ton (that's Long Ton for all y'all on the us O a....

Load some really dry bud, prepress, and press. First press was light. Second press was great! Onto the FlashVape, with the window to watch vape form as
you draw, and theres a lot of vape coming out!

Load some sticky icky bud. Loose into the screen pouch after destemming. Manual prepress. Slowly to about 4k abd can see erl coming out nicely. Let's leave it right there abd go check email. A minute later there's more erl! Let's crank her up. I'm off to the side, squinting at the gauge (8k, great, let's just leave it there for a min) and suddenly BANG and things start flying. Glass? Where'd that come from? Ceramic tile being stressed by a cheapie shop press, being operated by a guy who is, and i say this in his defense, very kushy.

Anyhoo managed 1.6 grams back from the parchment puck, still wrapped in slickwrap, from an 11 g bag. There's a lot still in the 95m bag. I suspect a smaller load would allow a bit more compression, pushing more oil away. But that's a guess that needs testing when i find a more suitable base for this, like tacked to a welding bench.

No damage, and a pleasantly pleased novice squisher :)

Attachments

• 20170804_172807.jpg
    20170804_172807.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 277
20170804_175250.jpg
20170804_175154.jpg

Plus this, which i discovered going through the debris - parchment snapped. Brought slickwrap but didnt use it.

Ps - fi gers v sticky. Send batteries. Gracias.

Pps - found weenie resin collector tool. Stuck to floor in another blob of resin... it almost went on the scale...

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back