Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
I love seeing FL state government once again get its schwantz got in the door. Its what they deserve for their attempts to overrule their constituents and impose their own views.

Judge chastises state over marijuana licenses

In a harshly worded order scolding state officials for treating the Constitution “like a recommendation,” a Tallahassee judge Friday gave the Department of Health two weeks to begin registering new medical-marijuana operators or risk being found in contempt.

Leon County Circuit Judge Charles Dodson, siding with Tampa-based Florigrown LLC, rebuked Gov. Rick Scott, the Scott administration and the Republican-dominated Legislature for failing to properly carry out a 2016 constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana.

Florigrown, owned in part by Tampa strip-club operator Joe Redner, filed the legal challenge after the Department of Health denied its application for a medical marijuana license.

Dodson’s Friday order followed an August decision in which the judge found that a 2017 law, aimed at implementing the amendment, is unconstitutional because, among other things, it caps the number of highly sought-after medical marijuana licenses health officials can issue.

Although he found the law unconstitutional two months ago, Dodson delayed a ruling on Florigrown’s motion for a temporary injunction to give health officials time to comply with his original findings.

Dodson ruled verbally from the bench Wednesday in favor of Florigrown, but Friday’s written order — which the judge alone penned — severely reprimanded state health officials for failing to follow his instructions.

When he issued the Aug. 2 order, Dodson “was hopeful” that the health department “would take action to cure the serious constitutional problems” he identified in the state law, the judge wrote in Friday’s 6-page order.

Instead, a lawyer for the state agency this week “essentially conceded … that for the purpose of this case there have been no significant changes in the department’s regulations” or its handling of Florigrown’s application, according to Dodson.

“In other words, the court order was ignored by defendants,” he wrote.

State health officials are in an “unfamiliar situation” because the Legislature has the authority to implement most constitutional amendments. But the medical marijuana amendment specifically gave the responsibility to the Department of Health “to ensure the availability and safe use of medical marijuana by qualifying patients,” Dodson noted.

The law passed by the Legislature during a 2017 special session provided “guidance” to the state agency, but it “was in several ways significantly inconsistent with the Constitution, as pointed out in the August 2 order,” the judge wrote.

In August, Dodson found the 2017 law unconstitutional because it requires marijuana operators licensed by the state to cultivate, process, and dispense medical marijuana — something known as “vertical integration” — as opposed to breaking the activities into separate parts for licensure.

And the judge ruled that the law improperly restricted who could get licenses. The law ordered health officials to grant licenses to operators who were already up and running in Florida or who were involved in litigation as of Jan. 1, 2017. The law also required a license for a black farmer who meets certain conditions and set aside a preference for applicants with certain ties to the citrus industry.

“Thus, we have the department with specific duties placed on it by the Constitution, and the Legislature telling them incorrectly what to do, by statute. Nevertheless, the Constitution has very specific details in it. And the Constitution is the law of the land. The Constitution prevails over the statute,” he wrote.

Dodson’s order for a temporary injunction blocks the health department from moving forward with the application process laid out in the 2017 law and gives the state until 5 p.m. Oct. 19 to begin registering medical marijuana treatment centers “in accordance with the plain language of the Medical Marijuana Amendment.”

The judge also ordered the state to register Florigrown by 5 p.m. Oct. 19, unless the health department “can clearly demonstrate to this court that such registration would result in unsafe use of medical marijuana by qualifying patients.”

Dodson also emphasized to the defendants — the health department, the agency’s Office of Medical Marijuana Use and various state health officials — “that this is a court order,” before concluding with a rare warning: “Willful violation of the court order may result in sanctions, which could include a finding of contempt of court.”

Department of Health spokesman Nick Van Der Linden said in an email that the agency is reviewing the order, noting that it “does not impact the availability of medical marijuana in Florida” to the state’s 170,000 qualified patients.

Redner and his legal team, however, hailed Dodson’s order and his choice of words.

“I think our Legislature, I think our governor, I think they’re lawless. They think they’re above the law. They won’t follow the law. And we’ll see now if this judge can put the fear of the judiciary in them and do what the Constitution says,” Redner told The News Service of Florida in a telephone interview.

Redner recently won another lawsuit against the health department, when a judge ruled that the 77-year-old can grow his own marijuana to “juice.” Redner’s doctors recommended juicing to prevent a recurrence of lung cancer. The state has appealed that decision.

Florigrown CEO Adam Eland called on Scott to order the health department to comply with the judge’s ruling.

“Is this governor going to ignore this court and obfuscate again, or is he going to stop with all this nonsense and do what he (Dodson) says?” Eland said.

But lawyer John Lockwood, who represents marijuana operators and others seeking licenses, said the judge’s order puts the health department in a difficult position.

“There is a very specific statute that directs them on how they must regulate this industry. If they were to ignore that legislation, they would open the agency up to even more significant litigation,” Lockwood told the News Service.

In Friday’s order, Dodson found Florigrown would suffer “irreparable harm” in the absence of the temporary injunction, and that the injunction “will serve the public interest,” which he said “was clearly stated” by the amendment’s approval by more than 70 percent of voters.

The amendment’s passage “makes it clear the Department of Health must do the matters required in it to ensure the availability and safe use of medical marijuana by qualifying patients.”

“The department has failed to do so,” he wrote, adding that the 2017 statute “is an unconstitutional attempt” to implement the amendment.

“The court is concerned the Constitution is being treated as just a recommendation. It cannot be. The Constitution is the law of the land — the supreme law of our government, which we must all live by. The Medical Marijuana Amendment of the Constitution is specific. Much of that specificity is being ignored,” he scolded.

Reactions: arb

We asked Florida candidates if they’ve smoked marijuana. Here’s what they said.

Florida’s next class of elected leaders will confront changing attitudes about marijuana as a drug and recreational past time. Will they do so from a position of personal experience?

Nikki Fried has the dankest website of any major candidate for statewide office in Florida.

Bumper stickers and T-shirts for the Democrat sell for $4.20. There is more cannabis green on the site than donkey blue. Among her top priorities for the Department of Agriculture, the state agency she hopes to lead? Expand medical marijuana and embrace industrial hemp.

It all might lead some voters to believe that Fried's advocacy is accompanied by some firsthand knowledge. Asked if she has ever used marijuana, Fried wasn't coy about it.

"Of course I have," the agriculture commissioner candidate and marijuana lobbyist told the Tampa Bay Times.

Marijuana use is on the rise in the United States. A federal drug survey released last month found half of American adults have tried marijuana once in their life, the high point of the last 20 years. As marijuana grows more ubiquitous, sentiments about the drug have shifted, too. More Americans than ever, 62 percent, believe marijuana should be legalized, according to Pew Research Center, a complete reversal from a decade ago.

Florida's next class of elected leaders will confront these changing attitudes. Will they do so from a position of personal experience?

The Times asked all candidates for statewide office if they have ever smoked marijuana, and if their experiences with the drug have influenced their views on marijuana policy.

Four of the 12 candidates acknowledged prior marijuana use, including the Democratic nominee for governor, Andrew Gillum. "Many years ago," his spokeswoman Johanna Cervone said. Gillum has advocated for legalizing marijuana and taxing it.

"Our policy on marijuana is informed by medical science and a reasonable approach to criminal justice," Cervone said.

Five candidates said they have never smoked. Three wouldn't respond, all Republicans: gubernatorial nominee Ron DeSantis, his running mate Jeanette Núñez and Ashley Moody, a candidate for attorney general. In a primary debate, DeSantis came out against legalization.

Fried's Republican opponent in the race for agriculture commissioner, Rep. Matt Caldwell acknowledged past usage as well.

"I have tried cannabis, however, it's not for me," said Caldwell, a co-sponsor of the 2014 bill that first allowed non-euphoric medical cannabis for select patients. Caldwell is skeptical of smokable marijuana for medical use.

Rep. Sean Shaw, the Democratic nominee for attorney general told the Times he has smoked too, but added: "It does not shape my views at all."

Once a nonstarter for those seeking office, admission of prior marijuana use among politicians has shifted along with the country's acceptance of the drug. Bill Clinton as a candidate for president in 1992 famously, if not clunkily, declared, "I didn't inhale it." By 2008, President Barack Obama's nonchalant acknowledgement of smoking as a teen was a well-known anecdote in his biography.

"While it is no longer remarkable that candidates for elected office have smoked marijuana and will admit to it," Fried said, "it bears noting that the over 126,000 legal, medical marijuana patients in Florida are prohibited from 'smoking.' "

If there is a commonality among the small sample of candidates who admitted to marijuana use, it is age. Fried, Caldwell, Gillum and Shaw are all between 37 and 40 years old.

Meanwhile, the two oldest candidates running in 2018, Republican Gov. Rick Scott and Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, both said they didn't smoke. Scott, 65, is challenging Nelson, 76, for his Senate seat.

This generational gap exists among the general population, too. While 58 percent of 35- to 39-year-olds said they have used marijuana in their lifetime, less than one-third of senior citizens have.

Yet, there has been a sudden surge of frequent marijuana use among those nearing retirement age over the last decade. Americans between 55 to 64 were once among the least regular marijuana users; now, baby boomers are as likely to have smoked in the last month as millennials.

Researchers have at least partly attributed that spike to medical marijuana, now available in 31 states, including Florida.

Yet, two years after Sunshine State voters overwhelmingly gave the green light to medical cannabis here, the issue is far from settled. While none of the statewide candidates for office have advocated reversing course, some have said the state needs to do more.

Nelson said he has never smoked but said if a doctor believes that's the best way to treat a patient, the state shouldn't stand in the way.

"I'm going on the evidence of the medical experts who have pointed out it's a way of dealing with pain without getting the addiction that the other drugs would," Nelson said.

With Scott as governor, Florida has blocked smokable marijuana. His reticence to embrace a more liberal drug policy comes from a personal experience of substance abuse in his family, spokeswoman Lauren Schenone said.

"He knows firsthand what a heartbreaking burden it can be on impacted individuals and their loved ones," Schenone said.

Of the Florida cabinet positions, only the race for chief financial officer featured two candidates who said they have never used marijuana. Both the incumbent Republican, Jimmy Patronis, and Democratic challenger, former state Sen. Jeremy Ring, responded by noting that they haven't used other illegal drugs either.

However, it's an office that oddly enough is likely to have some role in the future of marijuana regulation. Many of the marijuana businesses setting up shop here have trouble getting access to traditional banking. The federal government still considers marijuana an illegal drug and President Donald Trump's administration has signaled it may crackdown on companies that do business with a nefarious industry.

Patronis said that concerns him, and Ring said he supports the state chartering a depository for these companies.

"While I don't have any personal experience with marijuana, during my 10 years in the Florida Senate I often met with parents whose children suffered from any a number of chronic illnesses for which they believe marijuana is the most effective treatment," Ring said. "Those experiences with parents — often times in tears — have stuck with me since."

Here is how each candidate for statewide office answered our questions about marijuana.

U.S. Senate
AP_NYJK506_SENATE_FLORIDA.jpg

In this Aug. 6 photo Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., listens during a roundtable discussion with education leaders from South Florida at the United Teachers of Dade headquarters in Miami. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky,)
Bill Nelson, Democrat (i)

Have you ever smoked marijuana? No.

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? "I'm going on the basis of the science and the medical experts that it helps. For example, there's a lady in Sarasota that has had ALS for years and ALS is a withering of the motor nerves and what the marijuana does is help her lessen the saliva that would otherwise choke her. I'm going on the evidence of the medical experts who have pointed out it's a way of dealing with pain without getting the addiction that the other drugs would."

21213243.jpg

Florida Gov. Rick Scott spoke to the media at the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Department, in Tampa on Feb. 28. “We have to get something done,” Scott said. “We have to change the direction of the state.” (MONICA HERNDON | Times)
Rick Scott, Republican

Have you ever smoked marijuana? No.

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? Spokeswoman Lauren Schenone: "As Governor Scott has often shared, substance abuse was something that impacted his own family growing up, and he knows firsthand what a heartbreaking burden it can be on impacted individuals and their loved ones. In regards to medical marijuana – the state has been working nonstop to implement the law that was passed by the Florida Legislature with an overwhelming bipartisan majority."

Governor
ap_flwl114_governor_florida.jpg

Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum speaks during a Democratic gubernatorial debate held at Florida Gulf Coast University’s Cohen Center, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, in Fort Myers, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)
Andrew Gillum, Democrat

Have you ever smoked marijuana? Spokeswoman Johanna Cervone: "Yes, many years ago."

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? Cervone: "Our policy on marijuana is informed by medical science and a reasonable approach to criminal justice. Marijuana should be regulated, taxed, and available to suffering Floridians seeking treatment prescribed by doctors."

418340_urso_003_disantistampa091918_.jpg

CHRIS URSO | TimesFlorida candidate for Governor Ron DeSantis (R) speaks with reporters outside of Franklin Middle Magnet School Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018 in Tampa. Both DeSantis and democratic rival Andrew Gillum released their education proposals on Tuesday.
Ron DeSantis, Republican

Spokesman Stephen Lawson: "We're going to decline to comment."

Lieutenant Governor
19836561.jpg

Businessman and then-gubernatorial candidate Chris King talks to a group of gay and lesbian Democrats in Tallahassee, Fla., on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2017. On Sept. 6, 2018, he was selected to be the Democratic nominee for Lieutenant Governor. (AP Photo/Brendan Farrington) FLBF103
Chris King, Democrat

Have you ever smoked marijuana? Spokeswoman Johanna Cervone: "He hasn't."

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? Cervone: "He agrees with Mayor Gillum that it's past time to regulate and tax it."

AP_13030616927.jpg

Rep. Jeanette Nuñez, R-Miami, chair of the Higher Education & Workforce Subcommittee, discusses a proposed committee bill during a meeting at the House Office Building Wednesday, March 6, 2013, in Tallahassee, Fla. (AP Photo/Phil Sears)
Jeanette Núñez, Republican

Spokesman Stephen Lawson: "We're going to decline to comment."

Attorney General
seanshaw-1024x682.jpg

Democrat Sean Shaw talks to reporters in Tampa on Aug. 28, the day he won the primary to advance to the Florida Attorney General’s race.[OCTAVIO JONES |
Tampa Bay Times]
Sean Shaw, Democrat
Have you ever smoked marijuana?
"Yes, I have."

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? "It does not shape my views at all. Floridians voted 72 percent to approve the amendment, that's what shapes my view on this — 72 percent of the voters, not Democrats, not Republicans. The vast majority of Floridians want hurt patients to get access to it and the legislature and the governor says you can't smoke it, you can't grow it, you can't get it like you need it. That's what shapes my views on this."

TBT_417917_WITT_flcabinet08-1024x682.jpg

Republican candidate for Florida Attorney General, Ashley Moody, speaks to news crews after voting in the Aug. 28 primary at the Florida Aquarium in Tampa. [ BRONTE WITTPENN |
Times]
Ashley Moody, Republican
Spokeswoman Christina Johnson: "We will not be responding."

Agriculture Commissioner
nikkfried.jpg

Nicole Fried, Democratic candidate for commissioner of agriculture. [Tampa Bay Times]
Nikki Fried, Democrat

Have you ever smoked marijuana? "Of course I have. And while it's no longer remarkable that candidates for elected office have smoked marijuana and will admit to it, it bears noting that the over 126,000 legal, medical marijuana patients in Florida are prohibited from 'smoking' medical marijuana. Efforts by the Scott administration and Legislature to deny the will of Floridians on smoking—and in their general obstruction when it comes to patient access—was one of the things that motivated me to run for office this year."

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? "Far more so than my personal experience using marijuana, it's been my experience as an advocate that's informed my commitment to compassionate, patient-focused medical marijuana policies. I've met people fighting stage-four cancer, parents desperate to provide their sick children with relief, and patients suffering from all kinds of terrible illnesses—it's one of the reasons I've been such a strong advocate for medical marijuana. This is a plant that can improve people's quality of life and saves lives. The fact that Tallahassee politicians think they should make decisions about patient treatment is absurd."

21735274.jpg

State Rep. Matt Caldwell, candidate for agriculture commissioner, speaks at the Republican Sunshine Summit Friday, June 29, 2018, in Kissimmee, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)
Matt Caldwell, Republican

Have you ever smoked marijuana? "I have tried cannabis, however it's not for me."

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? "I became an advocate for medical cannabis because I saw the clear and demonstrable need. I will continue to fight for patient access to safe and effective cannabis-based treatment options."

Chief Financial Officer
19419480.jpg

Jeremy Ring, (AP Photo/Steve Cannon, File)
Jeremy Ring, Democrat

Have you ever smoked marijuana? "I have never used — smoked or otherwise — any non prescription drugs including marijuana."

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? "While I don't have any personal experience with marijuana, during my ten years in the Florida Senate I often met with parents whose children suffered from any a number of chronic illnesses for which they believe marijuana is the most effective treatment. Those experiences with parents — often times in tears — have stuck with me since and I find it offensive that the legislature has watered down the will of the people and has dragged its feet to implement Amendment 2. Not only is it the right and compassionate thing to do, it's also a right guaranteed by our state constitution. As I have also stated publicly, I support the Cabinet establishing a state chartered depository institution for medical marijuana companies."

TP_415935_HERN_01_scott0328-1024x635.jpg

Jimmy Patronis [MONICA HERNDON | Times]
Jimmy Patronis, Republican (i)
Have you ever smoked marijuana?
"I've never used any illegal drugs — including marijuana."

How has your experience with the drug shaped your view on marijuana policy? "When I served in the Florida House of Representatives, I voted to allow usage of non-euphoric medical marijuana because I know we must show compassion to those suffering. I believe in supporting science. If the evidence shows that there are medicinal benefits to marijuana, then I support doing what is best for patients according to scientific research. I am also concerned that there is currently no bank in the State of Florida that accepts deposits from medical marijuana companies here."

Florida...please 86 this....well....person...Rick Scott. And not by sending him to the Senate, please?

Rick Scott seeks backing on medical marijuana appeal

With a 5 p.m. Friday deadline looming, Gov. Rick Scott has sought support from legislative leaders before appealing a Tallahassee judge’s order that critics say would create pandemonium in the state’s medical-marijuana industry if allowed to stand.

Responding to Scott’s request, House Speaker Richard Corcoran, incoming Speaker Jose Oliva and other Republican House leaders on Wednesday urged the Governor to seek “immediate review by a higher court” of an order by Leon County Circuit Judge Charles Dodson, who ruled this month that a 2017 medical marijuana law was unconstitutional.

The impending court deadline — and the Scott administration’s failure to file an appeal thus far — has sparked a buzz within the state’s lucrative and highly restricted medical-cannabis industry, where licenses have sold for upwards of $60 million in recent months.

Dodson gave state health officials until Friday to begin registering new medical-marijuana operators after deciding a state law, passed during a special legislative session last year, failed to properly carry out a 2016 constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana.

Siding with Tampa-based Florigrown LLC, Dodson rebuked the Governor, the state Department of Health and the Republican-dominated Legislature for what he said was an unconstitutional law aimed at implementing the voter-approved ballot initiative.

Dodson’s harshly worded Oct. 5 order scolded state officials for treating the Constitution “like a recommendation” and gave the Department of Health two weeks to register Florigrown and to begin registering other medical-marijuana operators, or risk being found in contempt.

But, in Wednesday’s letter to Scott urging him to ask for a temporary injunction, House leaders wrote that Dodson’s order is “rife with substantive and procedural errors.”

Dodson’s order requiring health officials to move forward with new licenses “poses a serious risk of hardship to businesses that invest in the court’s temporary licensure scheme,” should his ruling be overturned, the House Republicans argued.

“The order also creates practical impossibilities and substantive dangers” by appearing to initiate “a different model regulatory system for which it has no rules, procedures, or infrastructure,” they wrote.

“Such an unpredictable regulatory environment is ripe for litigation, which will prevent, rather than ensure, access to this medical treatment,” the House Republicans said.

Industry insiders had expected Scott’s administration to appeal Dodson’s order as it has with nearly every other ruling it considered contrary to state policy, but politics may be playing a role in the delay.

Scott, a Republican who is finishing out the final months of his eight years as governor, is in a heated battle to unseat incumbent U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat who’s held his post for nearly two decades.

More than 71 percent of Florida voters approved the medical marijuana amendment in 2016, and polls have demonstrated widespread and bipartisan support for medical marijuana among all demographics throughout the state.

Numerous sources close to key legislators and the Scott administration told The News Service of Florida on Thursday that the Governor’s office requested that the House and Senate formally ask Scott to appeal the judge’s decision in the Florigrown case.

“Some people may call it ‘cover,’ but really what we have is we’re litigating an exceptionally complex and high-profile issue,” lawyer John Lockwood, who represents licensed medical- marijuana operators as well as those seeking entry into the state. “I don’t find it unusual that the administration may be looking to all the different stakeholders to seek feedback on the issue and the importance of the appeal.”

The Scott administration has faced harsh criticism, including from state legislators, for the roll-out of the medical-marijuana industry. Much of the blame has been placed on the Office of Medical Marijuana Use, a division of the health department.

Health officials have been accused of a wide range of lapses, such as protracted delays in licensing marijuana operators and months-long waiting periods for eligible patients to receive ID cards required for access to treatment.

Dodson found fault with parts of the 2017 law that, among other things, capped the number of marijuana licenses; created a “vertical integration” system that requires marijuana operators to grow, and process cannabis and distribute related products; and improperly restricted who could get licenses.

The law ordered health officials to grant licenses to operators who were already up and running in Florida or who were involved in litigation as of Jan. 1, 2017. The law also required a license for a black farmer who meets certain conditions and set aside a preference for applicants with certain ties to the citrus industry.

A spokesman for the health department said Wednesday agency officials are reviewing the judge’s ruling.

When asked whether the Governor has sought support from key lawmakers to boost support for an appeal, Scott spokeswoman Mara Gambineri said the health department “has worked nonstop to implement the law the Legislature wrote.”

“They are taking the appropriate time to review the best path forward,” she said in an email.

Sen. Rob Bradley, a Fleming Island Republican who has been instrumental in medical-marijuana legislation, called Dodson’s ruling “classic judicial overreach.”

“The irony of the trial court’s decision is that, if it were to stand, it would negatively affect the suffering patients that the court purports to protect. Patient access and safety would be undermined if the decision were to stand. For the sake of the welfare of Florida patients, I certainly encourage the DOH to appeal,” Bradley, an attorney, said in a text message.

Dodson’s decision striking down the 2017 law could also negate regulations associated with carrying out the constitutional amendment and result in what some predict would leave the industry in turmoil.

“The trial court’s order requires the issuance of an unlimited number of separate, independent licenses to any entity that either buys, grows, processes, transports, sells or administers medical marijuana. Presumably, one of these license holders could open an unlimited number of locations, anywhere in Florida, and perform any or all of those functions at those locations. If the trial court order stands, it will be the wild, wild West,” Bradley told the News Service.

Medical marijuana lobbyists, lawyers, operators and others spent Tuesday and Wednesday calling and texting each other and Scott’s representatives as the clock wound down toward Friday’s deadline.

But some of the Governor’s harshest critics questioned whether the crisis was genuine.

“This whole thing just frankly seems so silly. The notion that the Governor would treat this lawsuit differently than he has every other one on appeal is just ludicrous,” said Ben Pollara, the campaign manager of the political committee behind the 2016 constitutional amendment.

“It looks like he is just either seeking some political cover for a decision he’s already made, because it’s the same decision he’s made in every other circumstance in the past. Or he’s setting up a shake down of the MMTCs (medical marijuana treatment centers) for his super PAC. Or it’s both,” Pollara told the News Service.

Florida voters OK'd medical marijuana, but some city leaders just won't have it

Several Florida cities that temporarily banned pot dispensaries now keep them out permanently.

Nearly two years after Florida voters overwhelmingly approved medical marijuana, some cities' temporary stops to cannabis businesses have turned into outright bans.

Temporary bans in Boca Raton, Coral Springs, Margate, Tamarac and Pembroke Pines have become permanent, effectively keeping dispensaries out of certain communities and drawing concerns from medical marijuana's proponents. They join at least seven other South Florida cities with bans. Benjamin Pollara, who was a political consultant in the 2014 and 2016 referendums to allow medical marijuana, said city governments are subverting the will of the people. More than 70 percent of Florida voters in 2016 agreed that medical patients with certain illnesses should have access to medical marijuana.

"You've got the biggest population center in the state and patient access has been seriously limited by these local governments passing bans, and I think it's really shameful," Pollara said.

State rules adopted in 2017 left cities with two options: ban dispensaries outright, or regulate their locations to the same degree that pharmacies are regulated, which in most cases means allowing them in all commercial districts. The only restriction is that they must be at least 500 feet from a public or private school.

In addition to the places where temporary bans have become permanent, other cities that ban them are Delray Beach, Highland Beach, Hillsboro Beach, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Royal Palm Beach, Sea Ranch Lakes and Southwest Ranches.

Of the 64 dispensaries in Florida, 11 have opened across South Florida, with three in Broward County, three in Palm Beach County and five in Miami-Dade County, according to the state Health Department records.

Even Lake Worth, the first South Florida city to have a dispensary, is rolling up the welcome mat, not wanting to attract more than its fair share. The city so far has two dispensaries and last month voted to ban any new ones.

"The state didn't put the right regulations in place," said Lake Worth Mayor Pam Triolo. Perhaps Lake Worth allowed them too quickly, he said. "It put us in a very tricky predicament."

Nearly two years since voters said they wanted medical marijuana, some cities have just recently started moving toward allowing dispensaries or tip-toeing toward more conversations about whether to allow them.

_ Sunrise in August voted to allow them, after approving numerous 120-day moratoriums that were extended again and again. _ Hollywood City Commission last month unanimously agreed to allow them after an initial review. The final approval is expected soon.

_ Boca Raton's leaders agreed on Monday to hold another workshop on the issue in the coming months. City leaders have complained they've had limited options after the Legislature passed guidelines for the dispensaries.

"This is a prime example of how home rule is taken away," said Hollywood Commissioner Traci Callari. "Once you open the door to one, you open the door to many. The last thing we need in Hollywood is a medical marijuana dispensary on every corner."

Also, some cities have argued that people can have marijuana delivered delivery if they need it. Under that reasoning, dispensaries shouldn't open in every town.

Because marijuana is still illegal under federal regulations, banking and credit cards can't be involved. Medical marijuana is a cash-only business, which is widely regarded as a magnet for crime.

But authorities say there haven't been problems in some communities where they've opened. Palm Beach County Sheriff's Capt. Todd Baer in Lake Worth said no crimes have been reported at Lake Worth's two dispensaries. And there only have been three or four calls for service because of reports of suspicious people.

"Most of my fears have been allayed," Baer told city leaders. "The only fear I have is robbery because it's a cash business. ... Both (dispensaries) run a very professional organization."

Margate City Commissioner Lesa Peerman predicted that state rules eventually will broaden marijuana's legality to render the dispensary bans moot.

She belongs to a Florida League of Cities committee that supports legislation that would give cities more regulation over marijuana shops. That would give cities more latitude than the two current options, to ban them or regulate them no more than regular commercial pharmacies.

Deerfield Beach Commissioner Todd Drosky said he's already hearing from his constituents uncertain about a third dispensary that's in the pipeline to open in his city. Deerfield embraced dispensaries, refusing to make its initial ban on them permanent, in spite of some asking city leaders to wait and see.

The dispensaries, he said, "have only opened recently — so I'm not ready to play judge and jury yet."

Florida House seeks to defend medical marijuana law

The Florida House is seeking to intervene in a potentially far-reaching legal battle about the constitutionality of a 2017 law that set regulations for the state’s medical marijuana industry.

House lawyers last week requested approval to help defend the law, which was designed to carry out a constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana. A Leon County circuit judge this month sided with a Tampa-based firm that contends the 2017 law did not properly follow the constitutional amendment, in part because the law capped the number of medical marijuana licenses that can be issued.

In a motion filed last week seeking to intervene in the case, House lawyers contended that the 2017 law was carefully crafted to carry out the voter-approved constitutional amendment and to comply with federal guidance about medical marijuana issues. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, though it has been legalized for medicinal and recreational uses in various states.

“The House seeks to intervene here to defend the Legislature’s prudent effort at striking the necessary, delicate balance between implementation of the voter-adopted MMA policy (the medical marijuana constitutional amendment), on the one hand, and conflicting federal drug policy, on the other,” the motion to intervene said. “Indeed, the House has a direct interest in preserving, from judicial encroachment, the Legislature’s constitutional prerogative to address such a conflict and effectuate the voters’ will to the extent federal law will allow.”

The Tampa-based firm Florigrown, which had unsuccessfully sought a state license to get into the medical marijuana industry, filed the lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the 2017 law. Leon County Circuit Judge Charles Dodson agreed that the law was unconstitutional and issued a temporary injunction Oct. 5 that required state health officials to begin registering Florigrown and other medical-marijuana firms to do business.

Gov. Rick Scott’s administration appealed, which had the effect of placing an automatic stay on Dodson’s ruling while the 1st District Court of Appeal considers the issues. Florigrown last week filed a motion in Dodson’s court to vacate the automatic stay, alleging that the Legislature had tried to create an “oligarchy” by limiting the number of licenses in what is expected to be a lucrative industry.

“This oligarchy has resulted in the creation of astronomic and artificial values in ‘licenses,’ contrary to the goal of making medical marijuana ‘safe and available’ and at the expense of qualifying patients and those so woefully in need of compassion, not exploitation by the select few,” Florigrown attorneys wrote.

Dodson has scheduled a Nov. 19 hearing to consider several issues, including the motion to vacate the automatic stay and the House’s request to intervene. While Dodson granted a temporary injunction, the underlying lawsuit also remains in his court.

The 2017 law ordered health officials to grant licenses to operators who were already up and running at the time in Florida or who were involved in litigation as of Jan. 1, 2017. The law also required a license for a black farmer who meets certain conditions and set aside a preference for applicants with certain ties to the citrus industry.

Dodson’s ruling found fault with caps on the number of licenses and issues such as the creation of a “vertical integration” system that requires marijuana operators to grow, process and sell medical marijuana — as opposed to businesses being licensed to play different roles in the industry. More than 71 percent of voters approved the medical-marijuana constitutional amendment in 2016.

In seeking to intervene in the case last week, House lawyers pointed to 2013 guidance from the Obama-era U.S. Justice Department that indicated state and local governments should have tight regulatory systems for medical marijuana. It also said uncertainty has been “amplified” by the Trump administration’s tougher stance on marijuana, which this year included rescinding the 2013 guidance.

“Only the Legislature — made up of the citizens’ representatives — has the constitutional authority to navigate the state through the tempestuous waters caused by the direct conflict between federal policy and a state policy enacted by citizen initiative,” the House lawyers wrote.

Medical marijuana barriers to fall as Florida politicians from both parties back reform

In 2011, I made a relatively meek attempt at pulling together a campaign to place an amendment legalizing medical marijuana before Florida voters. I couldn’t raise enough money for a poll, nor could I find an individual of any stature or credibility who would serve as chairman of a political committee.

Two years later, after Colorado and Washington State became the first states to legalize marijuana for adult use, the environment was much different: a poll showed 71 percent support among Florida voters, and Orlando super-lawyer John Morgan decided to bring the full weight of his voice - and his checkbook - to the effort.

But the issue was still greeted with a mixture of trepidation and derision (“free samples?”). At the time, I was a partner at a consulting firm that represented Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 clients, and my partners bristled at the news of my involvement with a medical marijuana campaign.

We lost that election in 2014, but garnered nearly 58 percent of the popular vote. John Morgan told me the afternoon of Election Day that if we didn’t win that night, we would win in 2016. An email from John went out to our hundreds of thousands of supporters that evening, vowing to bring medical marijuana to sick and suffering Floridians in 2016.

John doesn’t make empty threats. On a Tuesday in November, 24 months after that email was sent, Floridians approved medical marijuana with over 71 percent of the vote. Two million more people cast ballots for medical marijuana than for Donald Trump, who won the state. It was the largest margin for any statewide marijuana reform initiative brought before voters in the United States.

Today, we are on the precipice of elections in Florida - and across the country - that offer proof that marijuana reform has become increasingly popular, mainstream and now a politically salient issue.

Sen. Bill Nelson filed his first piece of medical marijuana legislation in the U.S. Senate, to increase access to veterans. He’s attacked Gov. Rick Scott over his administration’s continued obstruction of John Morgan’s smoking lawsuit.

Both Andrew Gillum and his running mate, Chris King, are strong supporters of legalization. Even Ron DeSantis claims to support medical marijuana, which Rick Scott opposed in both his gubernatorial campaigns.

Nicole “Nikki” Fried is running the most competitive campaign for agriculture commissioner of any Democrat in the last two decades, and has premised her campaign on expanding patient access to medical marijuana. Two different banks - Wells Fargo and BB&T - terminated Nikki’s campaign accounts because of her support for marijuana reform.

In Florida’s 27th Congressional district, Donna Shalala, a longtime opponent of both medical and legal marijuana during her time in the Clinton administration and as president of the University of Miami, reversed her position and came out strongly for both during her contested primary with fellow Democrat, David Richardson, an ardent legalization supporter.

On the other side of the aisle, Rep. Matt Gaetz (FL-1), one of the most conservative, Trump-boosting members of the Florida delegation, is also one of the strongest medical marijuana supporters in Congress. Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Miami), has sponsored numerous pieces of marijuana reform legislation in his two terms in Congress. And at the state-level, two state senators in competitive elections, Jeff Brandes (SD-24) and Dana Young (SD-18) have both been champions of patient access, and aren’t shy talking about their support on the campaign trail.

Florida, consistently serving as a microcosm of national politics, isn’t unique when it comes to the mainstreaming of marijuana in electoral politics. North Dakota appears poised to approve a legalization measure. And marijuana has become an issue in the hotly contested Missouri and Nevada races for U.S. Senate.

The fight for marijuana reform isn’t close to being over. Florida’s medical marijuana law remains in a state of arrested development, despite there being nearly 200,000 legal users in the state. Federal law still hasn’t budged.

But when politicians of both parties begin embracing an issue in the way they have on marijuana over the last few years, the writing is on the wall. Marijuana prohibition is on the clear path to going up in smoke.

Thank-you Baron23 for your tireless fight for cannabis rights. I also thought, that I would mention, how much I appreciate all of the people that post regularly, for those of us that are somewhat lousy typers, and not as informed as we'd like to think we may be ( me ). I enjoy the cannabis news threads, and just the vast knowledge everyone shares.

Thank-you Baron23 for your tireless fight for cannabis rights. I also thought, that I would mention, how much I appreciate all of the people that post regularly, for those of us that are somewhat lousy typers, and not as informed as we'd like to think we may be ( me ). I enjoy the cannabis news threads, and just the vast knowledge everyone shares.
Thank you so very much. I often wonder if I’m wasting my time posting all of these legalization articles. It very wonderful to find out that I am not and that people are reading this stuff.
Thanks again!!

I am enjoying seeing the FL legislature have its ass handed to them by the judicial branch on their completely anti-democratic over-reach to drastically amend the constitutional amendment pass with...what, 71% of the vote, I believe???

Now this says it all, IMO. Yes, follow the money. It appears that when the FL legislature is in session, its also open for business and up for sale.

According to the state Division of Elections website, Surterra Wellness --- one of the state’s 14 medical-marijuana operators --- and its affiliates contributed at least $57,000 to House leaders or their political campaigns within days after the House filed its motion to intervene in the Florigrown case.

House kept out of medical marijuana lawsuit

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (News Service of Florida) — A Tallahassee judge refused Monday to allow the Florida House of Representatives to intervene in a medical marijuana lawsuit, saying the Republican-dominated Legislature should sue the federal government if lawmakers are unhappy that he struck down a 2017 pot-related statute as unconstitutional.

Ruling from the bench during a hearing, Leon County Circuit Judge Charles Dodson rejected the House’s request to intervene in the lawsuit filed by Tampa-based Florigrown, owned in part by prominent strip-club operator Joe Redner.

Florigrown is challenging a state law, passed during a special legislative session last year, aimed at implementing a voter-approved 2016 constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana.

Dodson ruled last month that the law --- which, among other things, capped the number of medical marijuana licenses the Florida Department of Health can approve --- was unconstitutional and ordered the state to begin registering Florigrown and other medical-marijuana firms to do business in the state.

The health department has appealed the case, but Dodson on Monday refused to keep his October order from going into effect during the appeal. Monday’s decision also is expected to be appealed.

Seeking to intervene in the lawsuit, the House argued that Dodson “improvidently” characterized the 2017 law as unconstitutional. Instead, the House said, the 2017 law was carefully crafted to carry out the constitutional amendment and to comply with federal guidance about medical-marijuana issues. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, though it has been legalized for medicinal or recreational uses in more than three dozen states, including Florida.

During Monday’s hearing, Dodson accused the House, in its motion to intervene, of “using a lot of big, fancy words that made it sound like I didn’t know what I was doing” in the Oct. 5 order.

The House’s position would essentially undermine any marijuana-related laws or regulations, the judge said.

“Your argument doesn’t make any sense to me,” Dodson told House General Counsel Adam Tanenbaum. “Bear with me, because I’m slow, but I’m steady.”

But Tanenbaum said only the Legislature, and not the health department, “has the authority to make policy for the state of Florida.”

As a result, the House should be allowed to be a party in the lawsuit to defend the policy, Tanenbaum said.

“And if the Legislature makes policy for the state of Florida, it’s got to be policy that’s constitutional, right?” Dodson asked.

Tanenbaum agreed.

“But who is authorized to thread that needle or do something to effectuate the will of the voters, while trying to hue to some suggestion from the federal government as to what their policy is and is not, where they’re going to enforce and where they’re not,” the House’s lawyer asked.

Dodson suggested lawmakers should look for relief elsewhere.

“Has the House considered filing suit against the federal government? Because looks like to me, that’s where the rub is,” Dodson said. “Seems to me you’re saying that any medical marijuana legislation is going to conflict with federal government requirements, but yet I should let the Legislature come into this lawsuit, for what reason?”

“Well, your honor, the alternative is that the court strikes down the entire medical marijuana amendment, and I don’t think anyone’s asking that,” Tanenbaum said.

The circuit judge in October found fault with parts of the law that, among other things, capped the number of marijuana licenses and created a “vertical integration” system that requires marijuana operators to grow and process cannabis and distribute related products. Already-licensed operators worried that the ruling could create uncertainty in the fast-growing industry --- while also allowing more companies to receive licenses.

The House filed the motion to intervene a little more than a week after 10 House leaders --- including state Reps. Paul Renner, Chris Sprowls and Ray Rodrigues --- sent a letter to Gov. Rick Scott, asking him not to drop the legal battle.

According to the state Division of Elections website, Surterra Wellness --- one of the state’s 14 medical-marijuana operators --- and its affiliates contributed at least $57,000 to House leaders or their political campaigns within days after the House filed its motion to intervene in the Florigrown case.

The records show that Surterra contributed $15,000 to Floridians for Economic Freedom, a political committee linked to Sprowls, on Oct. 25, the day the motion to intervene was filed, and $10,000 to the committee on Oct. 29. Surterra also donated another $1,000 to Sprowls’ campaign on Oct. 30. The Clearwater Republican is slated to take over as House speaker in 2020.

On the same days as the contributions to Sprowls’ committee, Surterra gave $5,000 donations to “Conservatives for Principled Leadership,” a political committee affiliated with Rep. Paul Renner, a Palm Coast Republican who will succeed Sprowls as speaker in 2022.

On Oct. 25 and 29, Surterra also made $5,000 contributions to “First Coast Conservatives,” a committee linked to new House Appropriations Chairman Travis Cummings. R-Orange Park.

And on Oct. 25 and Oct. 30, Surterra made two $5,000 contributions to “Free Markets for Florida,” a committee associated with Rep. Ray Rodrigues, an Estero Republican who will head up the House Health and Human Services Committee in 2019 and 2020. As House majority leader over the past two years, Rodrigues played a major role in crafting and passing marijuana-related legislation. Surterra also gave Rodrigues’ personal campaign a $1,000 contribution on Oct. 30.

During Monday’s hearing, Florigrown lawyer Luke Lirot called the House’s objections to Dodson’s decision to allow Florigrown and others to get licensed by the state an attempt to protect Florida’s current license holders, which he called “golden ticket winners.”

“What’s really disturbing is that instead of embracing the clear dictates of this court’s orders, they still resist any acknowledgement of the plain language of Amendment 2. They are still trying to protect the oligopoly that they’ve created, with this white-collar cartel,” Lirot told The News Service of Florida following Monday’s hearing.

Dodson is scheduled to hold a hearing Dec. 5 to consider motions from nearly a dozen prospective marijuana operators to join the case, which was filed almost a year ago.

Redner is involved in a separate marijuana-related legal challenge. Siding with Redner earlier this year, Leon County Circuit Judge Karen Gievers said the 78-year-old Redner should be allowed to grow his own marijuana for juicing purposes. Redner’s doctors said that would be the best way for him to prevent a recurrence of lung cancer. That case is under appeal.

Yep, FL definitely sold out to big money corporations and their backers of....wait for it....FL politicians! Oh wow, hard to imagine isn't it.

Liberty Health Sciences to open five new dispensaries, bringing total number of Florida locations to 12 by year end

Liberty Health Sciences Inc. (CSE: LHS) (OTCQX: LHSIF) www.libertyhealthsciences.com ("Liberty" or the "Company"), a provider of high quality cannabis, announced today that it plans to open two new dispensaries in Miami and Dania Beach by the end of November and three more in Hollywood, Bonita Springs and Orange Park by the end of this December. Each of the dispensaries will feature free 24-hour delivery service throughout their service area.

The new dispensaries are located at 6827 Bird Road, Miami, FL.; 1103 South Federal Highway, Dania Beach, FL.; 2119A Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, FL.; 24611 Production Circle, Bonita Springs, FL.; 1907-3 Wells Road, Orange Park, FL. The dispensaries are open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 7p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Currently, Liberty operates seven dispensaries and six delivery hubs throughout Florida. By the end of the calendar year, Liberty plans to have 12 dispensaries open throughout the state, subject to the receipt of Florida Department of Health approvals.

Liberty's dispensaries offer pharmaceutical-grade cannabis products along with educational tools and compassionate one-on-one consultations geared towards informing customers on medical cannabis use. Early next year Liberty expects to boost its total cultivation space to 225,000 square feet at its Liberty 360° Innovation Campus in Gainesville, Fl. The Company also plans to add more than 25,000 square feet to house processing and packaging, a patient call center, and all support services. The Company employs more than 150 people in the state.

"Liberty is now expanding exponentially and has become a formidable player in the Florida market," said George Scorsis, CEO of Liberty Health Sciences. "As we expand our footprint, we remain laser focused on the customer experience. We always place the customer at the forefront of everything we do – from growing and cultivating cannabis, to processing, extraction and developing branded cannabis-related products – the customer always comes first. We control our entire supply chain, from seed to sale and beyond."

There is something extremely wrong with the FL state government...the entire fucking state government...the exec, legislative, and various bureaucratic departments.

If you don't think so, ponder this.....legal MMJ was passed as a constitutional amendment with 71% of the vote while state government has been trying to undermine their electorate ever since. End of story...the rest is just antidemocratic activity by self-entitled government politicians and bureaucrats. I say 86 them, FL citizens.

House appeals order in medical marijuana dispute

TALLAHASSEE — Saying the Legislature lacks the authority to “marginalize the responsibilities of the executive branch,” a Tallahassee judge Thursday issued an order shooting down the Florida House’s attempt to intervene in a medical-marijuana lawsuit.

The House immediately responded by giving notice that it was appealing the order to the 1st District Court of Appeal.

Leon County Circuit Judge Charles Dodson issued the written order after saying from the bench earlier this month that he was rejecting the House’s request to intervene in the lawsuit filed by the Tampa-based firm Florigrown.

The firm is challenging a state law that was passed last year to carry out a voter-approved 2016 constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana.

Dodson ruled in October that the 2017 law — which, among other things, capped the number of medical marijuana licenses the Florida Department of Health can approve — was unconstitutional and ordered the state to begin registering Florigrown and other medical-marijuana firms to do business in the state.

The health department appealed Dodson’s ruling.

The House also sought to intervene, arguing that the law was carefully crafted to carry out the constitutional amendment and to comply with federal guidance about medical-marijuana issues.

Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, though it has been legalized for medicinal or recreational uses in more than three-dozen states, including Florida.

But Dodson found that no state laws would comply with the federal law.

“There is not a single state medical marijuana program in any of the states that does not run completely afoul of federal drug policy and federal law,” Dodson wrote in Thursday’s five-page order.

“It is simply not possible under any circumstances to design a law or program that would not run afoul of federal drug policy ...” Dodson found that the House is not a proper defendant in the case, ruling that “because even the Legislature’s policymaking must comport with the Constitution, the House does not have a direct and immediate interest” in the litigation.

The degree to which the House crafted the law to comply with the federal guidance “is wholly irrelevant to the issue of the statute’s ultimate constitutionality,” Dodson wrote.

"DeSantis has a different view of the issue and “wants the will of the voters to be implemented,”
Well, ain't that a refreshing view...sigh.

DeSantis could take new direction on medical marijuana in Florida | Thumb up

The state’s hostility toward medical marijuana could go up in smoke under soon-to-be Gov. Ron DeSantis, according to Lt. Gov.-elect Jeanette Nuñez.

After voters approved a constitutional amendment in 2016 the state Legislature set up new roadblocks, including a cap on medical marijuana licenses and a requirement that marijuana operators grow and process cannabis, and distribute related products. A Tallahassee judge recently ruled these measures unconstitutional, and Gov. Rick Scott’s administration immediately appealed the ruling.

But Nuñez said DeSantis is “not interested in continuing that fight.” DeSantis has a different view of the issue and “wants the will of the voters to be implemented,” Nunez said.

There’s no guarantee exactly how this will play out, but if it leads to easier access to medical marijuana for those who need it, it’s a step in the right direction — along a path voters already said they wanted to take.

Florida appeals court delays ruling on major medical cannabis case

A legal case that could further open up Florida’s medical marijuana market to new entrepreneurs and hopeful plant-touching MMJ companies has been put on hold for now by a state appeals court.

The decision by Florida’s 1st District Court of Appeal means a lower court’s ruling that the state issue more MMJ business licenses won’t automatically move forward, throwing into confusion exactly what the future may hold for the market, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Here are the basics surrounding the situation:
  • If the Florida health department wins out, that means the state’s 14 licensed MMJ companies will continue to hold the only licenses in the enormous market, while companies such as the plaintiff, Florigrown, won’t be allowed to grow or sell medical cannabis.
  • If the appeals court upholds the lower court’s decision and finds for Florigrown, however, that could lead to a market with no license caps. But that’s still to be determined.
  • An appeals court ruling that backs the lower court could also open the door to various business types that aren’t strictly vertically integrated, meaning new market entrants could focus solely on cultivation or retail, as opposed to the current mandated business structure.
A ruling in the case by the appeals court will be “expedited,” the Sentinel reported, but there’s still no clear timeline for when the matter may be resolved.

Will Governor-Elect Ron DeSantis expand medical marijuana?

Medical marijuana has been legal in Florida for nearly two years, but patient access is still limited and smokable marijuana is still banned.

However, that may change when Governor-elect Ron DeSantis takes office.

There are now more than 165,000 active medical marijuana patients in Florida, but industry insiders like Jeff Sharkey with the Medical Marijuana Business Association say access is still an issue.

“I mean the pricing is starting to affect people,” said Sharkey.

The state is appealing a ruling that declared the current medical marijuana law unconstitutional because it limits the number of growers licenses and requires businesses to follow a seed to sale model.

Recent comments made by the Lieutenant Governor-Elect Jeanette Nunez suggest incoming Governor Ron DeSantis may drop the appeal when he takes office.

“It would certainly open up to a lot of other people who may want to be just distributors or processors, rather than being the one licensee who has to do it all,” said Sharkey.

When we spoke to DeSantis in October he said he wanted fully implement the constitutional amendment passed by 71 percent of voters.

“The people have spoken and so I will implement that. I mean, we're not going to dilly dally anymore,” said DeSantis. "That will be implemented if I'm Governor.”

As for any hopes of recreational marijuana, DeSantis made it clear he does not support full legalization.

“I don't think that that's good for children. I don't think that's good for public safety,” said DeSantis.

But DeSantis may be willing to open up new forms of cannabis to patients.

Attorney John Morgan, who is suing the state to allow smokable medical cannabis Tweeted last week that he expects DeSantis to drop the state’s appeal in that case as well, saying, "More good news on the frontlines. Our new @GovRonDeSantis will drop the #MedicalMarijuana appeal and allow smoke I hear."

The No Smoke is a Joke case, as it’s been dubbed, is scheduled for a hearing in an appellate court on January 8th, the same day DeSantis will be sworn in as Governor.

We reached out to DeSantis’ transition team for comment on this story, but did not receive a reply.

FL program is still a Potemkin Village, IMO.

Report details growth of medical marijuana use in Florida

Despite a bumpy rollout that has drawn lawsuits and criticism from legislators, a new report shows the number of Floridians using medical marijuana continues to grow.

In the first nine months of 2018, more than 136,000 patients across the state received certifications from 1,070 physicians to receive medical marijuana.

In all, those patients received 174,254 certifications — some could have received multiple certifications — for a host of medical conditions that qualify them to use marijuana. That included 41,143 certifications, or nearly 24 percent of the overall total, for post-traumatic stress disorder.

The report, issued by the Physician Certification Pattern Review Panel, also shows that physicians in Hillsborough, Pinellas and Palm Beach counties accounted for more than 30 percent of the certifications between January and Sept. 30.

The average medical-marijuana dose ordered was 372 milligrams per day, according to the data. But in Highlands County, where 470 patients were certified to receive the drugs, the average dose was 3,956 milligrams.

And in Nassau County, where two patients were reported as being certified, the average dose ordered was 17 milligrams.

While the report provides insight into how Florida physicians are responding to Florida’s burgeoning medical-marijuana market, panel co-chair Sandra Schwemmer, an osteopathic physician in Tavernier, said the information needs to be further analyzed before drawing conclusions.

Moreover, members of the panel agreed that the report doesn’t provide a full picture of Florida’s market because it doesn’t capture information from dispensaries. They have asked the Legislature to authorize the collection of the data.

Thirty-one states allow patients to use medical marijuana, including nine states that also have approved marijuana for recreational purposes.

Florida lawmakers first authorized the limited use of non-euphoric, low-THC marijuana in 2014, but Gov. Rick Scott’s administration drew criticism and legal challenges for the way it implemented the law. Voters in 2016 overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana.

The following year, lawmakers passed legislation to implement the 2016 constitutional amendment, though that law also faces legal challenges.

The law required Florida’s two medical boards to form a joint committee that examines and analyzes the ordering patterns for physicians who certify patients. The panel is required to annually submit a report to the governor and legislative leaders. The new report is the first time such a document has been produced and submitted to the Legislature.

The report must include data by individual physician and information in the aggregate by county and statewide.

Data is taken from two sources: the state’s physician licensure database program and the statewide medical-marijuana use registry, which houses a variety of information about issues such as physician certifications, qualifying medical conditions and average maximum daily doses ordered.

Florida patients who suffer from a variety of ailments can receive medical marijuana. Specific diseases such as cancer, Parkinson’s disease, Crohn’s disease and glaucoma qualify patients. Also, patients who require pain management or suffer from similar conditions to the specific ones listed in the law can qualify if certified by physicians.

While medical-marijuana advocates have long touted the benefits of the substance for cancer patients, the data indicate that less than 10 percent of all medical-marijuana certifications, or 17,133, were for cancer patients.

Broward County led the state in the number of certifications for post-traumatic stress disorder, with 4,597. PTSD accounted for 35 percent of all certifications for medical marijuana in the county, according to the data.

Steven Rosenberg, a West Palm Beach physician who chairs the certifications review panel, said the PTSD certifications caught his attention and that he wanted to make sure nothing was afoul.

“If there are people who are taking advantage of the law by using a broad condition, I have some concern about that,” he said.

"A request for comment also was sent to Sen. Rob Bradley, the Fleming Island Republican who sponsored what was called the “implementing bill” (SB 8-A), approved by Gov. Scott. Bradley has since become chair of the Senate’s Appropriations Committee.

Bradley previously has said medical marijuana “is being grown, processed and sold in a safe, orderly fashion” in Florida and the current licensing and regulatory system “will develop into a model for other states.”

“I’m confident that our appellate courts will uphold the constitutionality of SB 8-A,” he said in August."

Yeah, well apparently fucking NOT!!

"In fact, just passing the law was itself unconstitutional, Gievers suggested: “Voters made clear in 2016 that the Legislature was to have no role in implementing access to and availability of medical marijuana.”
This judge gets it

Keep sticking it to your state government, Floridians....what they did is a travesty of democracy and you need to make them pay the price.

State’s mellow gets harshed: Medical marijuana law again found unconstitutional

n a rebuke to lawmakers and the Rick Scott Administration that was stunning even for Tallahassee Circuit Judge Karen Gievers, she struck down the 2017 state law regulating medical marijuana, saying it conflicted with the state constitution.

In the spirit of boxing legend Muhammad Ali, known for his pre-fight rhymes, Gievers opined that in Florida “the medical marijuana system was broken. Now, in the Constitution, the people have spoken.”

Gievers, who ruled earlier this week, now is the second circuit judge to invalidate the 48-page statute that “implements” the 2016 constitutional amendment approved by 71 percent of voters authorizing medicinal cannabis in the state.

“The Constitution matters,” she wrote. “Our lawmakers and executive branch agencies should have acted — and should continue acting — so that their conduct is consistent with the law, including the constitutional provisions the voters choose as the highest law of the land.”

Gievers, who previously has ruled for plaintiffs in marijuana cases against the Department of Health, sided with medical marijuana provider Trulieve in its challenge over how many retail stores it can open, and where.

The department regulates the drug through its Office of Medical Marijuana Use. A Health Department spokesman would only say officials are “reviewing” Gievers’ decision.

“This win is a victory for patients across Florida,” said Kim Rivers, CEO of Trulieve, in a statement. “Our lawsuit was first and foremost about patient access; the caps required us to use an extremely expensive distribution model that was based on geographic distribution instead of relying on where patients live, which not only restricts access to patients in need, but drives up prices.

“Having the ability to open stores in locations where patients live will allow us to fulfill our goal of reaching every patient as efficiently, safely, and consistently as possible.”

A request for comment also was sent to Sen. Rob Bradley, the Fleming Island Republican who sponsored what was called the “implementing bill” (SB 8-A), approved by Gov. Scott. Bradley has since become chair of the Senate’s Appropriations Committee.

Bradley previously has said medical marijuana “is being grown, processed and sold in a safe, orderly fashion” in Florida and the current licensing and regulatory system “will develop into a model for other states.”

“I’m confident that our appellate courts will uphold the constitutionality of SB 8-A,” he said in August.

Scott is appealing the major marijuana decisions against the department, but the transition team of Republican Governor-elect Ron DeSantis, including Lt. Gov.-elect Jeanette Nuñez, has suggested that he won’t further defend the law in court.

Gievers, who retires in April, said her decision striking down the law “includ(ed), but (is) not limited to, replacement of the voter-selected registry plan with an arbitary, inconsistent licensing scheme … throttling access of qualifying patients to … safe use of medical marijuana from (providers that) the Department has a clear, undisputed duty to register.”

In fact, just passing the law was itself unconstitutional, Gievers suggested: “Voters made clear in 2016 that the Legislature was to have no role in implementing access to and availability of medical marijuana.”

Circuit Judge Charles Dodson, in a separate case brought by Tampa-based Florigrown, last year similarly ruled that the amendment did not contemplate a licensing scheme for providers that would be decided and controlled by state regulators, but rather “registrations” that would be freely granted.

Trulieve also argued in court filings that the state law improperly set a limit on retail dispensaries statewide and “further subdivides this statewide quota into five regional quotas based on population … (though, this) cap on dispensaries expires April 1, 2020.”

“The sole purpose of this statutory cap on the number and location of dispensaries is to temporarily suppress competition among MMTCs,” or medical marijuana treatment centers.

Gievers referred to Dodson’s decision, saying Trulieve “is entitled to be registered and operate as many (locations) as it wishes.

“Just as the Legislature has not tried to limit the number of pharmacies — whether free-standing ones such as CVS, Rite-Aid and Walgreens, or contained within other stores like Publix, Walmart and so on — the voters provided no cap or ceiling” on how many stores marijuana providers can open, she added.

Gievers further called the 2016 amendment a “game changer,” with which state health officials and lawmakers “were obligated to comply.”

“Regrettably, they have not complied, ignoring the citizen’s clear mandate, and the fact that compliance (with the state constitution) is mandatory, not merely a citizen suggestion or request.”

I love posting this stuff about FL. Their state government is getting its ass handed to them in court and they deserve EVERY bit of it, IMO.

Appeals court digs into marijuana smoking ban in Florida

Newly minted Gov. Ron DeSantis has indicated he may drop the state’s appeal of a court decision that said a Florida law banning patients from smoking medical marijuana is unconstitutional.

But on the same day the Republican successor to former Gov. Rick Scott was sworn into office, lawyers for the state tried to persuade a three-judge panel to uphold the smoking prohibition.

Tuesday’s arguments at the 1st District Court of Appeal were the latest twist in a challenge to a 2017 law aimed at implementing a constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana. More than 71 percent of voters approved the constitutional amendment in 2016.

Architects of the amendment, including Orlando trial lawyer John Morgan, filed the challenge because they said the prohibition on smokable marijuana runs afoul of the Constitution. Leon County Circuit Judge Karen Gievers in May agreed with the plaintiffs and struck down the ban, but her decision has been on hold after the state appealed.

Attorneys representing the Department of Health on Tuesday continued to defend the 2017 law, saying the constitutional amendment gives health officials the power to issue regulations and that the Legislature was right to ban smoking because of its ill effects.

“The amendment does not in any instance guarantee immunity for smoking marijuana,” Deputy Solicitor General Jordan Pratt said.

But appeals-court Judge Timothy Osterhaus questioned the Legislature’s authority to override the requirements of the amendment, which does not specifically authorize smoking.

“Do you think that’s key here, that they didn’t knock out all ways of administering … that they left ways open, or could they have decided that all ways are unsafe?” Osterhaus asked.

Pratt said the law allows for a variety of other methods of consumption and that lawmakers probably would not have been able to ban all types of administering the treatment.

“Is there harm to the voters writ large, if they’ve gone through the process of amending their Constitution, and the Legislature decides, ‘No, we’re not going to go for that and we’re going to veto what you’ve passed?’ ” Osterhaus asked.

The court’s focus “begins and ends with just one question, which is whether the amendment requires smoking of marijuana,” Pratt said.

“And there’s simply nothing in the amendment that says that,” he added.

But Jon Mills, a former dean of the University of Florida law school who helped craft the amendment, told the judges the 2017 law is in direct conflict with the Constitution.

The Constitution allows doctors to order smokable marijuana for eligible patients, but the law does not, Mills said.

“If you could prevent one method, could you prevent all,” Mills said, adding that is “not a small constitutional conflict.”

Whether or not smoking is bad for patients’ health is not an issue, Mills maintained.

“If the constitutional boundaries are set, there are no set of circumstances or facts that justify violating the Florida Constitution,” he said.

Cathy Jordan, a plaintiff in the case, credits a daily regimen of smoking marijuana with keeping her alive decades after doctors predicted she would die from Lou Gehrig’s disease. Jordan, who grows her own pot, testified last year that smoking marijuana treats a variety of life-threatening side effects of the disease and that other forms of ingestion don’t have the same positive impact.

“Cathy Jordan is not trying to have a good time. She’s trying to live. And what works for her is what she and her doctor agreed upon, and that was smoking,” Mills told the judges Tuesday. “There is a conflict. It’s irreconcilable. And that really is the end of the story.”

While Scott’s administration strenuously objected to allowing patients to smoke marijuana, DeSantis appears to have a different view.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, DeSantis said he has “not committed” to upholding the ban.

“I think at the end of the day, when the people speak on these things, we want to implement their will. I don’t think that that’s been done fully. So we are going to be taking actions with medical marijuana that are consistent with what I said in the campaign. It was a 72 percent issue, and I have different minds, from different people, about how effective it’s going to be. But at the end of the day those debates are really before the vote happens, and once the vote happens, you’ve got to move on. So we’ll take some actions within a pretty short time,” DeSantis said.

Gov. Ron DeSantis poised to make medical marijuana changes

TALLAHASSEE — With one of his chief advisers tweeting the hashtag “NoSmokeIsAJoke,” Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he will “very soon” announce changes in how the state is carrying out a constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana.

DeSantis, a Republican, said many voters believe the state has been “foot dragging” in implementing the amendment, largely bankrolled by Orlando trial lawyer John Morgan and approved by more than 71 percent of voters in 2016.

The new governor and his lieutenants have indicated DeSantis intends to abandon an appeal of a court decision that said a ban on smoking medical marijuana violates the constitutional amendment. Former Gov. Rick Scott’s administration appealed the decision to the 1st District Court of Appeal, which heard arguments in the case Tuesday, the same day DeSantis was sworn into office.

Industry on the rise: Trulieve's growth as largest Florida pot provider represents promise of state industry

Growing number of clients: Number of Floridians using medical marijuana continues to grow

Appearing Monday at a press conference in Miami-Dade County to name Judge Robert J. Luck to the Florida Supreme Court, DeSantis said his medical-marijuana announcement will deal not only with “the litigation” but also with “legislation that I think is needed to implement the people’s will.”

The smoking ban was included in a 2017 law that was aimed at carrying out the constitutional amendment. The law also capped the number of medical-marijuana licenses and the number of dispensaries in the state. Court decisions in other lawsuits also ruled those limitations were in conflict with the amendment.

Echoing remarks he made while campaigning for governor last year, DeSantis, a Harvard Law School graduate who also attended Yale University, indicated the state has not properly implemented the constitutional change.

“I think a lot of voters were frustrated that they don’t think that it has been. They think there’s been a lot of foot-dragging. So my job is, when the people speak, you have to listen. This was not an amendment that was really that close. It was like 72 percent,” he told reporters when asked about the lawsuit involving the smoking ban.

More: How will Ron DeSantis change Florida's medical marijuana industry?

DeSantis said he wants to make sure the amendment is carried out “in a way for the folks that voted for it that they can feel that that’s what they voted for.”

“And I think a lot of ‘em don’t feel that way right now. So we’ll see some changes,” he said.

U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz, a Panhandle Republican who was instrumental in the passage of Florida’s initial medical-marijuana laws and has been an outspoken proponent of medical marijuana, is one of DeSantis’ top transition advisers.

“I personally think the fight over smoking is silly. I also know Gov. DeSantis to feel duty-bound to execute the will of the people,” Gaetz said in a text Monday.

Morgan said he was encouraged by the new governor’s comments.

“The governor believes that the will of the people is important and understands that smoke was in the articles of intent. It appears he will end the wasteful spending of taxpayers’ dollars in this lawsuit and let patients receive all forms of mj (marijuana),” Morgan said in an email.

The shifting stance on medical marijuana isn’t isolated to the governor’s office.

Days after taking office, new Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, a Democrat who previously lobbied for medical marijuana operators, created a “director of cannabis” position within her department.

And lawmakers may be prepared to take action.

Senate budget chief Rob Bradley, a Fleming Island Republican who was one of the architects of Florida’s marijuana laws, told The News Service of Florida this month it will be a priority for the state “to have a culture of excellence that focuses on patient access and safety.”

Bradley praised Florida law for requiring research and data collection — which he called “the best in the country” — and for having dispensaries that function as “medical centers rather than head shops.”

But he expressed disappointment that health officials have yet to establish regulations to allow medical-marijuana operators to manufacture and sell edible marijuana products.

“We’re not where we need to be. There needs to be more licenses. What that looks like is an important discussion to have. Whether that happens through the Legislature or through the courts remains to be seen,” he said.

Lawmakers aren’t likely to put up a fight if DeSantis drops the appeal regarding the smoking ban, Bradley said. The prohibition was included in the law based on feedback from medical experts about the dangers of smoking.

Bradley said “it’s starting to have the feel of an issue we sort of need to have behind us and move on. … It was done for good, solid policy reasons but if (DeSantis) decides to move in a different direction on the issue, I certainly respect and understand that.”

Dropping the appeal could come as early as this week, based on a social-media post by Gaetz.

Congressman Matt Gaetz outlines his plans for medical marijuana legislation during a meeting with a group of local clergy members at West Florida Baptist Church in Milton Monday, Feb. 12, 2018. (Photo: Tony Giberson/tgiberson@pnj.com)

On Saturday, Gaetz said in a tweet he was looking forward to seeing Morgan “next week,” using the hashtags #NoSmokeIsaJoke, popularized by Morgan and others who unsuccessfully pushed Scott to drop the appeal, and #PotDaddy, referring to Morgan.

“Air Morgan is fueled and ready to fly,” Morgan, a longtime fundraiser for Democratic candidates, replied, repeating the same hashtags. “#PotDaddy is looking forward to seeing his favorite Republican, other than my wife!! Let the people speak and be heard.”

Ditching the appeal would be in keeping with the political muscle DeSantis has flexed since taking office last week. Since Tuesday, the Republican governor has appointed two Florida Supreme Court justices, suspended two elected officials --- including embattled Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel --- and unleashed sweeping plans to address the state’s water woes.

Morgan said Monday he is encouraged by DeSantis’ “commitment to the environment and science.”

“This guy is very smart. Harvard and Yale. While we as citizens can disagree on some issues, we can agree on many more,” he said.

"DeSantis also said that if the ban is not rescinded by the middle of March, he will drop an appeal filed by former Gov. Rick Scott to keep it in the law. In May, a judge ruled that prohibition against smoking cannabis violated Amendment 2, the measure passed by 71 percent of voters in 2016 that legalized medical cannabis in the state."

Congrats, FL. Looks like this one will go in the win column.

Governor of Florida pushing to lift ban on smokeable marijuana

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis called on the state legislature Thursday to repeal the ban on smokeable cannabis from the state’s medical marijuana statute. At a press conference in Winter Park, Florida, DeSantis said that the ban is not in line with the will of the voters.

“What the Florida Legislature has done to implement the people’s will has not been done in accordance with what the amendment envisioned,” DeSantis said. “Whether [patients] have to smoke it or not, who am I to judge that? I want people to be able to have their suffering relieved. I don’t think this law is up to snuff.”

DeSantis also said that if the ban is not rescinded by the middle of March, he will drop an appeal filed by former Gov. Rick Scott to keep it in the law. In May, a judge ruled that prohibition against smoking cannabis violated Amendment 2, the measure passed by 71 percent of voters in 2016 that legalized medical cannabis in the state.

Cannabis Advocates Support Repeal of Ban
Agriculture commissioner and cannabis advocate Nikki Fried called on lawmakers to act before March.

“Every day that medical marijuana in the pure plant form is unavailable to patients, Floridians continue to suffer,” she said. “This is an issue I’ve seen firsthand throughout our state and country, and one that touches my family personally — my mother was recently diagnosed with cancer, and she is struggling to find medicine that relieves her suffering. The fact that she can’t access the medicine she needs breaks my heart.”

State Sen. Jeff Brandes, another supporter of medical cannabis in Florida, said that the ban on smokable cannabis is an overreach of authority.

“What other drug does the government tell you how to ingest?” said Brandes. “It’s a doctor-patient issue. The government doesn’t insert themselves in there.”

Brandes also said he would introduce legislation to remove regulations requiring vertically integrated medical marijuana providers to cultivate, process, and sell all of their own cannabis products. DeSantis also said he would abandon appeals on those regulations and some licensing requirements. DeSantis said the legal challenges should be abandoned so the government could concentrate on more important matters.

“We have a lot of fish to fry in Florida,” DeSantis said. “The last thing I want to do be doing is cleaning up something that should have been done two years ago. I don’t want to continue fighting some of these old battles.”

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back