Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Accessories Fluxer Heaters - Induction heaters for Dynavap

Maybe a heap of tiny holes in some sort of pattern would look better, that internal switch is a deal breaker for me as I would leave it on all the time and the LED would drain the battery.

Maybe a heap of tiny holes in some sort of pattern would look better, that internal switch is a deal breaker for me as I would leave it on all the time and the LED would drain the battery.

Again, thanks for your suggestions, @LesPlenty . In this case (the puns...sorry) I need to stay within my abilities, and I'm unable to do the "heap of tiny holes" thing convincingly. The holes I chose solved the most problems for me with the least risk, but they may not work for you for other reasons. That's fair. Sorry.

WRT the LED being on and draining the battery - I'm happy to build you (or anyone) a version where the green LED doesn't light when the on/off switch is on. Just ask for it that way. The red LED will still light when you use the heater via the vapcap switch. That will function as you request.

Finally, sorry if this post comes off as defensive. I should just thank you and let this go - it's 100% A-OK if you don't want one - but I wanted to get the above two answer out there.

Cheers!

The light fix to not drain the battery would be something I liked

I think some mesh or stocking type material inside to cover the holes would be good

Help stop small grit and dirt etc inside the unit.......

How strong are the magnets on the lid?....I know you hold it upside down in the video but the cautious shake concerns me it will easily come off

I have been eyeing your progress since FC and have interest still in pocket sized units.... small improvements possibly needed....

Still watching

The light fix to not drain the battery would be something I liked

I think some mesh or stocking type material inside to cover the holes would be good

Help stop small grit and dirt etc inside the unit.......

How strong are the magnets on the lid?....I know you hold it upside down in the video but the cautious shake concerns me it will easily come off

I have been eyeing your progress since FC and have interest still in pocket sized units.... small improvements possibly needed....

Still watching

Thanks for watching the device as it has progressed. It's come a long way in a short time. It isn't perfect, and I'd never claim that it is, but it's small and it heats a vapcap very nicely.

Regarding holes, screens, and the general aesthetic of the device: I wish it didn't need any vent holes at all, but physics disagrees w/me. The heater is built to be functional, and its stylings are intentionally minimal. Some design decisions are necessary to achieve engineering goals, while others are made because they are budget-friendly, and by saving money in one area I am able to spend more elsewhere.

FWIW, I looked into screens, and inserts, and drilling many small holes instead of fewer big ones, etc. None of those "solutions" were ideal, each of them added a different expense and/or complication to a device that was already becoming too expensive and complicated to build. Since I need the holes, the solution I went with is to include a small cloth storage sack for the heater, which should inhibit some ingress of dirt and dust into the device. It isn't a perfect solution, but it's very workable, and stays within budget. Those are my general reasons for going in the direction I did. "Your mileage may vary," as they say.

IMG-6749-private.jpg

An example of the included sack. This one is going to Montreal, QC, so it's getting an extra silica packet.

Magnets: The magnets that hold the lid on are strong, and they are great for casual use. I am evaluating several different silicone bands (they haven't all arrived yet), with the goal of finding one to include for people who also want a more secure option.

It is fine to conclude that this isn't the right device for you, or isn't complete enough yet, or you want something similar but in a more polished form. My device is what it is: a small, portable, powerful vapcap heater that I am starting to ship this week. I intend to continue to improve it and refine it, but you are looking at V1 of a device that is still in the process of being introduced. There's a lot it doesn't do yet. But in spite of its shortcomings, if you need a small, portable, powerful vapcap heater, if might be the best handheld IH device that is currently available. :idea:

Cheers,
:weed:

Last edited:
So, a few questions. If one were to get on the list for a metal Flux Deluxe, what size coil would one need to select? The answer is 14, 15 or 16 mm. I'm not sure why there is a variance in sizing for this parameter? What happens if the incorrect size is selected?

A few other Qs from the list include: External switch - y or n? Top mount temp control? Under glass LED? I did select Y to the built-in battery meter tho...

So, a few questions. If one were to get on the list for a metal Flux Deluxe, what size coil would one need to select? The answer is 14, 15 or 16 mm. I'm not sure why there is a variance in sizing for this parameter? What happens if the incorrect size is selected?

Hi @Killick . The Flux Deluxe's coil size determines how quickly / aggressively it heats the Dynavap. Any size will work, but each size behaves differently. It's a matter of personal taste. I like to say that the coil size determines the heating profile, or how aggressively it heats. The standard coil size is 16mm, and that size heats the least aggressively. The next two smaller sizes each heat more quickly and with successively better heat penetration.

For example, the least aggressive 16mm size may give you 5-7 very gentle heating cycles before the material is used up, while the most aggressive 14mm size may give you only 2-4 heating cycles before the load is spent, but each of those heating cycles will be denser and also hotter. It's worth mentioning that the smaller size coils also carry a higher risk of combustion, so they are probably better suited for people that have some Dynavap experience. They are more efficient, however, which is what makes the smaller sizes popular. My site ( https://fluxerheaters.com/flux-deluxe ) has some more/similar info.

A few other Qs from the list include: External switch - y or n? Top mount temp control? Under glass LED? I did select Y to the built-in battery meter tho...

Those are options, and again, it's really comes down to what you want and how you want to use the device. Some people have a very personal relationship w/this device and want it to function in a very particular way, and I try to accommodate that sort of personalization when possible.

Hope that helps.

I've had my Flux Deluxe since Feb 1. Here's my thoughts.

I started with a 14mm coil and swapped it for a 15mm when I sent mine back for repairs/upgrades. The 14mm coil was fast but we got used to it right away and loved it. I decided to swap to a 15mm coil, mainly just to try it out, and we love it. Minor difference IME. 15mm is middle of the road--not the fastest, not the slowest--usually a safe bet.

External switch - It's easy to turn the unit on and off. The lid is held securely but pops off easily. We just leave ours on most of the time. I don't need an external switch. I like the clean, uncluttered look.
Top mount temp control - I experimented with the internal screw adjustment when I first got mine but haven't touched it since. Set it and forget it. I don't need a top mount control.
Under glass LED - I can't see the LED if it's pointing away from me but under glass can be seen from any angle. I don't have this but will add it next time I send my unit in for upgrades. In fact, I'd prefer under glass only, no external LED.
Built-in battery meter - It's easy to tell when my batteries are losing power as it takes longer for the cap to click. Sometimes I'll change them early but most of the time we just run 'em until they stop and I swap for a fresh set. I've got a Nitecore battery charger, I've never used the built-in one. I don't need the built-in battery meter.

PS - found the page with all the info I was scratching my head about - nicely paid out and easy to read. Thanks to @Moses Baca for his pointers, and especially to @fluxerheaters for explaining what I'm sure he's explained many times already. I do understand the work that goes into these wee bits of wizardry, and I'm looking forward to landing here in the North Pacific South Central :)

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back