Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Accessories For the Love of Vapcap Lighters

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Hello and welcome to the VapCap lighters thread.

First you need a VapCap (no really YOU DO!), then you need a lighter.

To figure out which VapCap you need go to the 'For the Love of Vapcap' thread.

There are a multitude of different heat sources that can be used to heat a VapCap but this thread is focusing mostly on Butane Jet lighters ranging from 1 Jet to 4 Jets.

I'll get things started with a lighter that was recommended by @Squiby for it's sleek and pocket friendly style.

Cylinder Flint Wheel Refillable Jet Flame Cigarette Cigar Butane Gas Lighter

I've only used this for two days (almost) so still figuring out it's longevity, however I like it! Thanks for suggesting it @Squiby.

The Jet can be kept relatively small but the tank is also quite small. As I haven't done extensive testing I can't really tell you how long a tank will last but I get the feeling it would cover a day of medium usage (2-3 cycles once every hour for 16hrs - you should be asleep for the remain 8!). I'll update that assumption when I have more data - maybe @Squiby can give you her experience as she has had it longer than I.

I've found it take about 8-10 mississippi's to hit the click. Back and forth motion on the cap, whilst spinning the who VapCap, it becomes second nature.

There is a tank gauge on the front (which I really like!) and to operate the device you slide the button up and spin the striver to spark the flint. The Jet will continue to burn until you pull the button down again.

You can adjust the flame height but you will need a tool such as a flat head screwdriver in order to do so.

AGuViP2.jpg

I9KC4X7.jpg

NfyU9ys.jpg

Now the igniter is similar to what you would find on a clipper lighter, you can use the same flint as the clipper lighter when it comes time to replace it.

Below is a comparison between the Jet Flame, mini clipper and original clipper with the striker wheel+flint tube removed. Despite being different lengths the tubes all only contain a single identical flint piece.

Yzhbwtp.jpg

SYjUkch.jpg

cHJpmVk.jpg

QucQExo.jpg

Changing the flint was a little fiddly but that is the nature of a clipper style lighter.

zV3Af42.jpg

I like the fact I can get a different style of hit with each separate heating source. I have the DynaVap triple and it rocks, my honest single took some practice but it rocks now, and my dual Vertigo (pictured) is classy. My favorite is that Thuya burl in the middle. :wink:

I'm enjoying the Cylinder Flint lighter more and more lately.

They are cheap, tiny and last longer than you might expect. I bought three and use them in rotation. Grab a full one as the current one runs out. I can't say exactly how long they last because I am either using this lighter or an Honest quad jet.

What I like so much about the tiny cylinder lighter is that it fits perfectly in my Vapcap pouch and will fit into a Dynastash stash co.partment with a bit of power tool finesse. I'll get a pic of it soon. So all in all it is one handy little lighter if you like a single jet.

Here it is with the pouch.
8q2epSh.jpg

So, I'm new to refillable butane lighters. I bought a jet lighter off of Dynavap's store. What kind of butane to use? Someone said they had butane but it leaks all over when trying to install. I like easy!
And not messy!

Hi Carol,

There are two aspects to your question here.
  • The quality of the butane
  • The correct technique for using the butane
The quality of the butane

The quality of the butane relates to how well filtered it is, the higher the quality the less contaminants are left to clog up the lighter jets during use.

Below is a table of the residual PPM contaminants in butane by brand, the lower the PPM the less contaminants there are to clog up your lighter.

Notice how much the PPM jumps when you get to 'Ronson', this is why it is best to avoid low quality fuel like 'Ronson'.

ZJuPF4q.jpg

The above table was captured from a Skunk Pharm Research article about BHO

*Mercaptans are odorants added to the butane to assist in its detection.

The correct technique for using the butane to refill a lighter

lighter_refill1.jpg

Step 1
. First locate the refill nozzle and flame adjustment screw (photo 1).

Step 2. Drain all existing fuel from the lighter using a pen, small screwdriver, or some other small pointed object by depressing the fuel refill nozzle (photo 2). I have found that turning the lighter right-side-up (with refill nozzle pointing toward the ground) helps get the last bit of air out.

Step 3. Turn the flame adjustment screw all the way clockwise to shut off all fuel flow (photo 3). You should see a plus (+) or minus (-) sign near the adjustment screw, which corresponds to open and shut, respectively.

Step 4. With the fuel refill nozzle on your lighter pointing up, press the can of fuel straight down into the nozzle. Be patient, a lighter does not become refilled in 2 seconds. Take your time. It will take 15-seconds or so to fill the lighter chamber. DO NOT pump the fuel can into the lighter. On some of the less expensive lighters, this could cause the tank to rupture.

Step 5. After refilling, let the lighter rest until it reaches room temperature. The fuel is cold when refilling and will expand as it reaches normal temperatures. You can also wrap your hand around the lighter to allow your hand temperature to warm the fuel.

Step 6. Turn the flame adjustment screw ½-turn counter clockwise(toward the + position) and try to light the lighter. Keep turning the screw open in small increments until the lighter lights and is at the desired flame height. Make minor adjustments as necessary.

How to Properly Fill a Lighter with Butane #Cigar101 - Famous Smoke Shop (YTube 3:03mins)

Last edited:
Looking at my torches I figured a ranking photo was in order from left to right. Mr Orange is the only single flame but it works very well if slowly. The metal Jobon would be higher but the lid hinges the wrong way & has no fuel window. The Honest in the middle works well but needs tool to adjust so loses points. Big Purps & the Crystal Pistol are my favorites overall though.

4cEUs3Tl.jpg

My VapCap M is coming today. Even though I'm getting it to use with my Woodscents I will be using the lighter too. Thought I would go to RiteAide and see if they have any of the butane on the list. Thank you for that info above. I've never bought liquid butane. Should I go to Lowes instead?:thinker:

Edit
A little more difficult to find the above brands except for the bad brand the Ronson. Some stores like Lowes didn't even carry butane for lighters. I ended up going to a smoke shop and they had some called Mega Plus 5x with 300ml its from Korea. I'm hoping this will work didn't have a lot of choice. I could have kept looking I went to 4 places. I felt. like I was buying contraband for Christ sakes. I don't know what the residual is for this?

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the Cylinder Flint lighter more and more lately.

They are cheap, tiny and last longer than you might expect. I bought three and use them in rotation. Grab a full one as the current one runs out. I can't say exactly how long they last because I am either using this lighter or an Honest quad jet.

What I like so much about the tiny cylinder lighter is that it fits perfectly in my Vapcap pouch and will fit into a Dynastash stash co.partment with a bit of power tool finesse. I'll get a pic of it soon. So all in all it is one handy little lighter if you like a single jet.

Here it is with the pouch.
8q2epSh.jpg
Thanks @Squiby,i just ordered one of these lighters.It looks a perfect match for an omni out and about and i did nt know it would fit in a dynastash.:enamored:

did you have to drill a wider hole in the dynastash for the lighter or just deeper?

Ever since I started using single flame torches my Blazer pocket torch has been my go to for every occasion, all other lighters have been put in drawers and are rarely used nowadays. The only time I ever bring out the triple flame now is when company is over trying to use it. The triple flame is a little easier for them to use the device.

But back to my Blazer torch.
blazer-original-torch-black-lighter2.png

This thing is great. It was pretty pricey compared to other lighters but I have been using it for almost a year now and I have not had an issue with misfiring or anything really since I've had it. Some reviews I've read on it have people stating theirs has lasted them over fifteen years. The thing is really built like a tank and is the most reliable torch I've used to date. For reference the other lighters I have used were: The triple torch dynavap sells, a single flame zico t38, and the brizard & co. nano made from ebony wood.

My Brizard & Co. torch is another one I love
s-l300.jpg

Functionally it is nowhere near as nice as the blazer, but it's a stunning lighter and accompanies my woody vapcaps very well. The one downside is it has a very small tank.

I have used Blazer Pocket Torches for a very long time for cigars which I had to quit smoking (nothing like a nice MI to motivate oneself. LOL).

My experience is that indeed cheap butane will clog the jets eventually. The Blazers are a bit pricey to just abuse that way, IMO.

Now, for my VapCaps I use the four and three flame torch lighters I got from George and which are available many places on-line for very little money. Is it worth worrying that much about a $7 dollar torch lighter....perhaps not. But Ronson really is junk.

But Ronson really is junk.
I made a newbie mistake and used Ronson. :BangHead: But got quality butane from a Cigar shop that knows it's stuff and was able to purge some of the impurities out over time. Even the 5 pack of single torch lighters that came pre-filled worked better. Even if I only refilled them 1/4 of the way.

Next time I will order online much easier and you get what you want.
True. I might have seen some of the brands in @GreenHopper's post on ebay.

How much times the butane is filtered +/- additives. You might get lucky and have a cigar shop nearby that knows their lighters and butane.

If you get torches from ebay or amazon, you can get real fussy and narrow down what you are looking for in a torch. I need it windproof and have the cap be able to close itself for simple one hand operation. Someone else might want a sleek lighter that fits inside their Dynastash.

I seem to get torches that have the feature of the lid that pops open when you press down the ignition and with the better button press then nearly the same model online. Which will be terrific for using during cold weather. Maybe have a lighter cozy to trap the heat and double as a hand warmer. :goofy:

. The Honest in the middle works well but needs tool to adjust so loses points.
Good thing to point out. :nod: My outdoor lighters have an adjustment level like my single flame Eagle torches for the ring that you pull out and turn like a knob as like the Vertigo's. Both good for tweaking that butane level. :torching:

Lighter designed to relight cigars are possible candidates. Like my favorite twin torch that has a mirror inside the lid. Really fun to use in the dark.

I posted this on FC and thought it might be helpful over here. I hope so.
Ever had your full Vertigo sputter when you are at max of the valve? I've noticed some people turning the valve wide open and getting a sputter when turned down slightly. Ok this is how I fixed mine when it was doing that same thing. I do not guarantee this will work on yours.
The little knob on the bottom pulls off the valve, and turn the knob, (not the valve, valve is the metal stem the knob fits on), turn it back a small amount and put it back on the valve. The knob is friction fit on the valve stem. If you turn the knob back a little, (it uses stops on the body so you can't open the valve wide open), you get more travel on the valve knob to open the valve stem more. I know it sounds confusing, but the knob is plastic, the valve stem is metal, two separate things. The knob has stops on it. Be careful you can really raise the flame this way. Doc

Cheap Aomai on order, only US$3.99 delivered, I would put up the link but they have put up the price.:shakehead:

I went with silver to match my M and Omni body XLS.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back