Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Getting rid of racially labeled products.

Who knew corporate brand allegiance could be so emotional?
The world has never been the same place since Mr Peanut's death. :rip: Change my mind. :lol:

So this is how its going to go.....all of these black faces and names will be replaced with....well, white heterosexual males are the only demographic that is seemingly NOT allowed to complain. So, Cream of Wheat will get a white guy in a chef's hat.

Then, minorities will complain that they are being excluded and that its racist discrimination, that products are now only marketed to white people, and demand marketing exposure equity.

Its fucking ridiculous.
What’s the big deal with brands and faces? I mean, who cares, really, if a brand has a “human” (made-up, art-department) FACE on it? Or just a logo. Or name, for crying out loud. Seems, I dunno...fragile or something.

A little history not so long ago.

Americans.

Ghettopoly

In 2003, David Chang created a national uproar with his game, Ghettopoly. Unlike Monopoly, the popular family game, Ghettopoly debases and belittles racial minorities, especially blacks. Ghettopoly has seven game pieces: Pimp, Hoe, 40 oz, Machine Gun, Marijuana Leaf, Basketball, and Crack. One of the game's cards reads, "You got yo whole neighborhood addicted to crack. Collect $50 from each playa." Monopoly has houses and hotels; Ghettopoly has crack houses and projects.

The distributors advertise Ghettopoly this way: "Buying stolen properties, pimpin hoes, building crack houses and projects, paying protection fees and getting car jacked are some of the elements of the game. Not dope enough? If you don't have the money that you owe to the loan shark you might just land yourself in da Emergency Room." The game's cards depict blacks in physically caricatured ways. Hasbro, the owner of the copyright for Monopoly, has sued David Chang to make him stop distributing Ghettopoly.

Wow, I didn’t realize it’s still being sold -Ghettopoly - Amazon actually was selling it in 2019.
This is from the amazon page where it’s sold.
From the comments

Question:
Is this a new game? Is all the pieces their including all the money?
Answer:
No. It's not new. It was created and released in 2003. Hasbro successfully sued the creator. I'm not sure how something like this made it on Amazon without verification of the ability to be sold.
By Bargain_Mom_7 on October 10, 2019

Crazy Horse malt liquor, 1992-2001
Crazy Horse Malt Liquor

40ozMaltLiquor.com
Company: Stroh Brewery

Though the real Crazy Horse may have advocated abstinence, that didn't stop Stroh Brewery from capitalizing on his recognizable name and image — as well as the popular stereotype that Native Americans are heavy drinkers — with this malt beverage.

The company had to backpedal after its product inspired serious outrage from Crazy Horse's estate and the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. In 2001, Stroh apologized in a ceremony on the Rosebud Reservation.

Crazy Horse is still on the market, but under the name Crazy Stallion.

Some of us may think this seems ridiculous. We maybe would feel different if we were a person of-a certain ethnicity though. Just putting that out there, not to argue. You are entitled to your opinion.
We view things in this world through the lenses we chose to wear. I spent decades with horses and the words crazy horse means caution so every one is safe, applied to a beverage its not my cup of tea and as a historical marker that was relevant way before my time its just not relevant to my world today. In that same vein Aunt Jemima is just pancake mix.

Crazy Horse malt liquor, 1992-2001
Crazy Horse Malt Liquor

40ozMaltLiquor.com
Company: Stroh Brewery

Though the real Crazy Horse may have advocated abstinence, that didn't stop Stroh Brewery from capitalizing on his recognizable name and image — as well as the popular stereotype that Native Americans are heavy drinkers — with this malt beverage.

The company had to backpedal after its product inspired serious outrage from Crazy Horse's estate and the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. In 2001, Stroh apologized in a ceremony on the Rosebud Reservation.

Crazy Horse is still on the market, but under the name Crazy Stallion.

Some of us may think this seems ridiculous. We maybe would feel different if we were a person of-a certain ethnicity though. Just putting that out there, not to argue. You are entitled to your opinion.
We view things in this world through the lenses we chose to wear. I spent decades with horses and the words crazy horse means caution so every one is safe, applied to a beverage its not my cup of tea and as a historical marker that was relevant way before my time its just not relevant to my world today. In that same vein Aunt Jemima is just pancake mix.

Reactions: arb
Say it isn’t so: To be honest I will miss the Eskimo Pie name. You would have thought they could have come up with something better than this!. I’m ignorant, I didn’t realize it’s a derogatory name.

The new name was a long time coming. Back in June, the company stated its intention to rename its “derogatory” product name.

EskimoPie.jpg

The company anticipates the newly branded product to hit shelves early next year. (Eskimo Pie)
KING ARTHUR FLOUR CHANGES ITS NAME, LOGO IN REBRAND

“We are committed to being a part of the solution on racial equality, and recognize the term is derogatory,” said Elizabell Marquez, head of marketing for its parent Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, the U.S. subsidiary for Froneri, in a statement to FOX Business in June. “This move is part of a larger review to ensure our company and brands reflect our people values.”

Since then, Dreyer’s has paused production of the ice cream bars while coming up with new branding and packaging for the treat.

After months of discussion, the brand decided on Edy’s Pie, named after one of the company’s founders, Joseph Edy.

The chocolate-coated ice cream bar will be available under its new name early next year, according to the company.

Last edited:
OK, not sure where I’ve been but now Dr Seuss is being targeted for being too racist in his children’s books. I’ve never looked for that in a Dr Seuss book. I really love his books. He’s dead he’s not here to defend himself. They usually combine Read Across America and Dr Seuss‘s Birthday. Schools are rethinking that.

Celebrate Seuss!​

Celebrate Seuss! Celebration Character Cameos Turquoise

Last edited:
X amount of people are going to be upset regardless of the topic and there is very little that one can do about that. About all one can do is tend their own little patch of reality and let folks alone to tend to theirs.

Last edited:
OK, not sure where I’ve been but now Dr Seuss is being targeted for being too racist in his children’s books. I’ve never looked for that in a Dr Seuss book. I really love his books. He’s dead he’s not here to defend himself. They usually combine Read Across America and Dr Seuss‘s Birthday. Schools are rethinking that.

Celebrate Seuss!​

Celebrate Seuss! Celebration Character Cameos Turquoise
You go looking for something hard enough you will find it everywhere.

Great-grandson of Syracuse’s Aunt Jemima angry at her removal: ‘This is an injustice’

Larnell Evans Sr., the great-grandson of a Syracuse woman who played Aunt Jemima for nearly 20 years, tells Patch that he vehemently disagrees with Quaker Oats’ decision to change the logo and name on its Aunt Jemima products, including pancake mix and syrup.

“This is an injustice for me and my family. This is part of my history, sir,” Evans said Thursday. “The racism they talk about, using images from slavery, that comes from the other side — white people. This company profits off images of our slavery. And their answer is to erase my great-grandmother’s history. A black female… It hurts.”

Evans’ great-grandmother, Anna Short Harrington, portrayed Aunt Jemima from 1935 to 1954 after being discovered by Quaker Oats Company representatives while cooking pancakes at the 1935 New York State Fair. She was hired as an actress to dress up like Aunt Jemima and travel North America, serving pancakes and promoting the brand.

Harrington, who cooked for many fraternity houses at Syracuse University and is buried in Syracuse, was the third “Aunt Jemima.” Nancy Green, a former slave, originated the role with an apron and head scarf in 1893.

LSS4EDGSTJCLBMWWZNADBG2A4I.jpg

Anna Harrington appears as "Aunt Jemima" at the Post-Standard Home show in 1954.

Quaker Oats announced Wednesday that it would remove the name and image of Aunt Jemima because its origins “are based on a racial stereotype.” The brand began in the 1890s with a name taken from a vaudeville song and imagery rooted in minstrel shows, including a since removed “mammy” kerchief that represented black women happily serving white masters.

The company said it aimed “to make progress toward racial equality” amid nationwide protests in the wake of George Floyd’s death. Other brands, including Uncle Ben’s, Cream of Wheat and Mrs. Butterworth’s, followed by announcing they’ll consider changing their racially charged logos.

Evans, a 66-year-old Marine Corps veteran living in North Carolina, told Patch that they shouldn’t try to erase history.

“This woman served all those people, and it was after slavery. She worked as Aunt Jemima. That was her job,” Evans said. “How do you think I feel as a black man sitting here telling you about my family history they’re trying to erase?”

According to Patch, Evans and a nephew previously clashed with Quaker Oats in court, claiming the company used Harrington’s pancake recipe. A lawsuit seeking $3 billion in royalties for Harrington’s descendants was dismissed in federal court as Evans and his nephew, who represented themselves, weren’t executors of her estate.

Evans suggested Quaker Oats and other “white corporations” that profited off of black characters should pay restitution rather than “erase history like it didn’t happen.”

“They’re not going to give us nothing? What gives them the right?”

Quaker Oats, which is owned by PepsiCo, said it will announce a new name for its pancake mix and syrup later this year, hoping to hit shelves by the fourth quarter of 2020. The company also announced a five-year, $400 million initiative “to lift up black communities and increase black representation at PepsiCo.”

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back