Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Getting rid of racially labeled products.

CarolKing

Always in search of the perfect vaporizer
Uncle P's pancake mix and white rice.

Uncle P's pancake mix and white rice.
(CNN)Make em say "Yum" Na-nah na-nah!
Master P has launched a line of "Uncle P" food products to offer consumers a Black-owned alternative to brands that use Black names and imagery, but don't often give back to Black communities.
The New Orleans rapper and serial entrepreneur told CNN that he had always assumed brands like Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's were Black-owned. It wasn't until recently, when some brands began to be phased out for perpetuating harmful racial stereotypes, that he learned about their problematic histories -- and decided to do something about it.
His new line of "Uncle P's Louisiana Seasoned" food products includes rice, beans, grits, pancake mix, syrup and oatmeal. A portion of the profits will go towards educating inner city kids and assisting elderly people in Black communities across the United States.

"When you look at Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben, a lot of those products are mockeries of African-American people and couldn't even feed our communities. With Uncle P, the more we make, the more we can give.

This could include names of schools or sports franchises. Places named after confederate soldiers is that too political? I personally don’t like military bases named after a confederate general. They wanted slavery to continue.

I know a broad subject.

The company had previously said the names of international-themed products that were intended to promote inclusiveness, such as Trader José and Trader Ming’s, “may now have the opposite effect.”

19xp-trader-joes-pix-articleLarge.jpg

A petition created last month said that Trader Joe’s “exoticizes other cultures” with certain branded products, like its Trader José beer.

The California-based grocery chain said it’s working to phase out stereotypical names it has attached to foreign foods, such as “Trader José’s” for Mexican cuisine, “Trader Ming’s” for Chinese products and “Arabian Joe’s” for Middle Eastern dishes.
“While this approach to product naming may have been rooted in a lighthearted attempt at inclusiveness, we recognize that it may now have the opposite effect — one that is contrary to the welcoming, rewarding customer experience we strive to create every day,” Trader Joe’s spokeswoman Kenya Friend-Daniel said in a statement.
Trader Joe’s is the latest company to scrap racially insensitive brands amid a nationwide movement against racism sparked by the police killing of George Floyd. Quaker Oats announced plans last month to get rid of the Aunt Jemima breakfast brand name, which it said was rooted in a “racial stereotype.” Mars Inc. similarly said it is “evolving” the Uncle Ben’s rice brand, while Conagra Foods is reviewing its Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup line.
Trader Joe’s revealed the plans following the launch of an online petition urging the company to ditch “racist” brand names that prop up ethnic stereotypes and treat other cultures as exotic.

All those product names made me laugh, Trader Jose’s Beer. They sure didn’t give them much thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
These kind of threads can get political due to the subject matter at hand. Anyone posting in this thread needs to keep the forum rules front of mind.

Now that said brands that are based off racist caricatures should be rebranded at a minimum.

In Australia we had issues with a classic biscuit called a "Golliwog" & it had to be rebranded. Didn't taste any different & made no difference in my eyes. That particular biscuit name is from another time & needed changing.

On the other hand we have a cheese brand called "Coon". Some want the name changed for obvious reasons. The issue is the cheese is named after the founder of the company. Anyone with half a brain can see there is no correlation between the racial slur & cheese company.

Common sense should be applied but stuff like that is not so common in the current climate. If it is offensive it is offensive.

These kind of threads can get political due to the subject matter at hand. Anyone posting in this thread needs to keep the forum rules front of mind.

Now that said brands that are based off racist caricatures should be rebranded at a minimum.

In Australia we had issues with a classic biscuit called a "Golliwog" & it had to be rebranded. Didn't taste any different & made no difference in my eyes. That particular biscuit name is from another time & needed changing.

On the other hand we have a cheese brand called "Coon". Some want the name changed for obvious reasons. The issue is the cheese is named after the founder of the company. Anyone with half a brain can see there is no correlation between the racial slur & cheese company.

Common sense should be applied but stuff like that is not so common in the current climate. If it is offensive it is offensive.
What's offensive to you may not be offensive to me or other people. Who are you to make that call ?

What's offensive to you may not be offensive to me or other people. Who are you to make that call ?

In this thread I am staff. In real life if say brand X is represented by a racist carricture & people of said ethnicity take offense then that is that. It is not for me to decide. They already have. Not to say there aren't increasing knee jerk reactions for the most minor perceived offence but that is usually those who are more of the SJW bang your drum loudest mentality not seeking actual change.

hahaha....and none of you better make chicken noodle soup or Jewish Grandmothers across the nation will rise up in revolt for your cultural appropriation! LOL

And Chun King better watch out...they are on the list too! :rofl:

Will probably change the name of Washington Redskins, a National Football League team in the US

ac5778d252d4469bda9a492f3a2112a2
The packaging of Allen’s Red Skins was changed a few years ago to plain red and purple.
The ongoing Black Lives Matter protests across the
Image result for changing the name of eskimo pie

NEW YORK (AP) — The owner of Eskimo Pie is changing its name and marketing of the nearly century-old chocolate-covered ice cream bar, the latest brand to reckon with racially charged logos and marketing

oh no I didn’t think about Eskimo pies

Last edited:
The Frito Bandito
The Frito Bandito
OK. Here’s your “Question of the day”: What popular product “mascot” was discontinued almost 40 years ago for being overly offensive to Mexicans?

Answer: The Frito Bandito.

Everybody loves Fritos corn chips, right? But even a popular product like Fritos can make questionable decisions.

As a kid I loved this character!

Last edited:

• B&G Foods to remove Cream of Wheat Black chef image from packagingLinkedin

RACIAL RECKONING
B&G Foods to remove Cream of Wheat Black chef image from packaging
"While research indicates the image may be based upon an actual Chicago chef named Frank White, it reminds some consumers of earlier depictions they find offensive,” B&G Food said in a statement.
Cream of Wheat.

Cream of Wheat.B&G Foods

Sept. 25, 2020, 7:45 AM PDT
By Reuters
B&G Foods Inc BGS.N said on Thursday it would drop an image of a Black chef from the packaging of its Cream of Wheat porridge mix, the latest company to make branding changes widely considered as racially insensitive.
Companies including Mars Inc. and PepsiCo Inc PEP.O are changing names and branding of some of their products that are rooted in racist imagery amid a wider national debate over racial inequality in the United States.

“For years, the image of an African-American chef appeared on our Cream of Wheat packaging. While research indicates the image may be based upon an actual Chicago chef named Frank White, it reminds some consumers of earlier depictions they find offensive,” B&G Food said in a statement.
The condiments and sauce maker is expected to roll out new packaging in the first quarter of 2021

Crazy Horse malt liquor, 1992-2001
Crazy Horse Malt Liquor

40ozMaltLiquor.com
Company: Stroh Brewery

Though the real Crazy Horse may have advocated abstinence, that didn't stop Stroh Brewery from capitalizing on his recognizable name and image — as well as the popular stereotype that Native Americans are heavy drinkers — with this malt beverage.

The company had to backpedal after its product inspired serious outrage from Crazy Horse's estate and the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. In 2001, Stroh apologized in a ceremony on the Rosebud Reservation.

Crazy Horse is still on the market, but under the name Crazy Stallion.

Some of us may think this seems ridiculous. We maybe would feel different if we were a person of-a certain ethnicity though. Just putting that out there, not to argue. You are entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:
OK but where does it end?
you have to be absolutely blind to see this is absolutely ridiculous.
no offense @CarolKing
But seriously just sit and think about this for a minute.
Are Black people really up in arms about The cream of wheat chef?
I don’t know but the more as I get older the more I see through the veil of bullshit

Some of it might be over the top but it would be great to find a happy medium. Years ago people didn’t give this much thought. I agree some of it seems a bit much but not all of it. I’m glad we are rethinking some things regarding race. I think it’s a positive thing as well.

What about the Quaker Oats man? What does he have to say about all these other iconic characters losing their jobs? :biggrin:

I try to see different sides of the discussion on racially labeled products and take into consideration any possible nuance of whom could possibly be offended.
But now there are people who are willing to be offended on other peoples behalf. Which is a giant size ball of wax right there.:stick:

Another consideration, What might be a nontopic today, could offend someone else's sensibilities 20 years from now. Then change again in 20 more years. We should keep that in mind while in the present before being quick to remove an older iconic character. Their are alternatives. For example, they have updated the Aunt Jemima syrup image over time to less resemble a house servant from a different era. They could of made her say a working mom or the owner of a syrup business for this decades reiteration instead of removing her in some sort of puritanical manner. :twocents:

Another phenom is that some people will more inclined to buy a product and associate it with their culture. They see the caricature or illustration on the package as being 'theirs' or at least ubiquitous enough and don't take offence.

Are Black people really up in arms about The cream of wheat chef?
So this is how its going to go.....all of these black faces and names will be replaced with....well, white heterosexual males are the only demographic that is seemingly NOT allowed to complain. So, Cream of Wheat will get a white guy in a chef's hat.

Then, minorities will complain that they are being excluded and that its racist discrimination, that products are now only marketed to white people, and demand marketing exposure equity.

Its fucking ridiculous.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back