Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Discontinued Ghost MV-1

Vapes no longer in production
Only hade the vape in use for a week but thought I would give my first impressions, it is very nice to look at and hold, feels like quality.

The crucible and caddy set up are very handy and a must-have, more than the fast charger IMO and on the fast charger Ghost sent a Non-Aussie plug but my Aussie Mighty charger drives it just fine.
I like the crucible set up much more than any other I have tried, ceramic and S/S are good materials for this purpose, especially in the caddy.

I have been using the unit on 3x amber heat and have got some great tasty puffs, the flavor is very clean straight out of the box, I only did 2x burnoffs before diving in.
The vape is great to have a sneaky puff of 3 as needed as it does take just seconds to be ready to rock.

Now the downside, it cuts out on over temperature when you get stuck in for a good sesh, I have quite often hit the 10x red flashes with beeps saying it is in safety mode, very frustrating when trying to pass around a few old hardcore bong and joint smokers as I did new years, the Headbanger helped make me look less silly (says the guy with a Rod Stewert wig on)
I can get it to go out on over temp on one crucible when hitting it hard and fast. The instructions say hit the fire button and when the big vibration goes to draw for the 10 seconds the heater fires for and it will vibrate to let you know the heater has done the 10 seconds, I would release and press again in the one breath for anothe 10 seconds for a total of around 25 total, do this 3 times in a row and the crucible is spent and the unit will be out on over temp.
So I have been trying the unit as instructed and only fire for 10 seconds and keep drawing for about 15. I managed the following in 30 mins,

View attachment 15446

Far-right was 5x 10-second puffs, followed by the middle 5x 10-second puffs then the unit started 10x red flashes so I kept removing and replacing the battery and was drawing as soon as I hit the fire button to get through the 3rd crucible, I gave up after that.

More abv shots, I don't stir,
View attachment 15447
View attachment 15448

My thoughts so far is it is a great vape that extracts very well and fast while tasting great but is useless to a heavy user unless you juggle it with other units.
Cheers for the review
I've been waiting for your feedback on this one

Sounds tasty as advertised

Sucks about the heavy use cutout
Passing around trying to convert smokers needs a capable beast
Or just a big user like myself

Although you say it extracts well, some of that avb looks a little green to my eye maybe

Still a little sad I missed the sale on this, but also not terribly unhappy after reading your review

I look forward to more updates as you use it further

I can get it to go out on over temp on one crucible when hitting it hard and fast. The instructions say hit the fire button and when the big vibration goes to draw for the 10 seconds the heater fires for and it will vibrate to let you know the heater has done the 10 seconds, I would release and press again in the one breath for another 10 seconds for a total of around 25l, do this 3 times in a row and the crucible is spent and the unit will be out on over temp.
Well, yes...I believe that will def do it. The heating cycle timing is, to my understanding, to eliminate that. That is, you take one 10 second draw until buzz (I thought it was 15 but not sure) and then end that cycle.

Hitting the heat multiple times in one draw (and you must have great lungs to do it) has been reported as a source of overheating.

But, what the heck...if that's the way you like to do it and it ain't curled up and died, go for it, brother. :cheers:

I was actually surprised you bought it @LesPlenty with the known problems and rumors of a new model or worse yet the company folding. But the price was pretty good. And good review BTW.

It does look better suited to a lightweight vaporer (screw spell check, I invented a new word) like me, lol. And I do like the idea of a convection vape, especially after using my firewood 6 for a while, although it's a sipper not a ripper.

I'm not shopping for a new vape ATM, but if a new convection vape comes out I might change my mind. Convection and safe materials being my strong points to look for.

I was actually surprised you bought it @LesPlenty with the known problems and rumors of a new model or worse yet the company folding. But the price was pretty good. And good review BTW.

It does look better suited to a lightweight vaporer (screw spell check, I invented a new word) like me, lol. And I do like the idea of a convection vape, especially after using my firewood 6 for a while, although it's a sipper not a ripper.

I'm not shopping for a new vape ATM, but if a new convection vape comes out I might change my mind. Convection and safe materials being my strong points to look for.
I am after a decent on demand vape
Most likely convection

Have not quite found it yet
Watching the ghost and tinymight lately

Both have their own set of concerns for me though

Hopefully something will arrive for me soon :)

Only had the vape in use for a week but thought I would give my first impressions, it is very nice to look at and hold, feels like quality.

The crucible and caddy set up are very handy and a must-have, more than the fast charger IMO and on the fast charger Ghost sent a Non-Aussie plug but my Aussie Mighty charger drives it just fine.
I like the crucible set up much more than any other I have tried, ceramic and S/S are good materials for this purpose, especially in the caddy.

I have been using the unit on 3x amber heat and have got some great tasty puffs, the flavor is very clean straight out of the box, I only did 2x burnoffs before diving in.
The vape is great to have a sneaky puff of 3 as needed as it does take just seconds to be ready to rock.

Now the downside, it cuts out on over temperature when you get stuck in for a good sesh, I have quite often hit the 10x red flashes with beeps saying it is in safety mode, very frustrating when trying to pass around a few old hardcore bong and joint smokers as I did new years, the Headbanger helped make me look less silly (says the guy with a Rod Stewert wig on)
I can get it to go out on over temp on one crucible when hitting it hard and fast. The instructions say hit the fire button and when the big vibration goes to draw for the 10 seconds the heater fires for and it will vibrate to let you know the heater has done the 10 seconds, I would release and press again in the one breath for another 10 seconds for a total of around 25l, do this 3 times in a row and the crucible is spent and the unit will be out on over temp.
So I have been trying the unit as instructed and only fire for 10 seconds and keep drawing for about 15. I managed the following in 30 mins,

View attachment 15446

Far-right was 5x 10-second puffs, followed by the middle 5x 10-second puffs then the unit started 10x red flashes so I kept removing and replacing the battery and was drawing as soon as I hit the fire button to get through the 3rd crucible, I gave up after that.

More abv shots, I don't stir,
View attachment 15447
View attachment 15448

My thoughts so far is it is a great vape that extracts very well and fast while tasting great but is useless to a heavy user unless you juggle it with other units.
You are so knowledgeable about CANNABIS!

known problems
The only real problem is the latch breaking, I think with a bit of mechanical sympathy my latch will last. I put a little pressure on the door before hitting the open button and I hold the open button down until I push the door in far enough to not even hear the click shut. I liken it to holding a door handle open as you shut a door when trying to be quiet.

I believe that will def do it.

I had a fair idea I would be in the minority of users that would puff hard enough to hit limp mode.
That is why I did not do the double puffs during this review test, just back to back 10 second draws with enough time between to catch my breath and get my bearings, I might have said before that the MV1 does medicate very well, near whitey material, if it could keep up I think a whitey was only a crucible or 2 away.
So I got 12, 10 second draws for 2x full crucibles before overheating (the battery still showed as full) so not too bad.
I was only on 3x amber heat setting ,
1578019148377.png

So the unit can go a lot higher in temps than what I used (and favored)
Concentrate mode (fairly high temp, I dab at 460\475) works OK but needs a couple draws to get going (you start pulling as soon as you fire in concentrate mode) The 3rd bowl with the 6 puffs during the testing were also done this way to try and beat the over temp probs and enabled me to finish the 3rd crucible, more like limp mode than total shutdown.

Starting to get the hang of the MV1 now after a couple of weeks of use. I managed to hook up the vape to the app and was glad I did, I changed the 1xred temp to be 190c (375f) and 2xred to 195c (383f) and am now getting nice even ABV with no hot spots and no stirring,

IMG_20200109_153403.jpg

195 seem to be my sweet spot for some really tasty vapor, I have been cleaning everything after 6x crucibles and have not had any problems...really great value at US$125.
More testing to come.

I have found a great pouch for the Ghost, my Headbanger pouch fits the Ghost nicely and is great for wiping the unit to remove fingerprints,
IMG_20200209_143529.jpg

Ghost has shut its doors for business and is kaput.

IMO, they spent far too much on vids of the young and beautiful, sponsoring rock concerts, sending replacements out without doing due dilligence (we loved it, but its not sustainable financially), and they were selling an overpriced/over engineered/fiddly (and it ain't like they weren't told before it went GA).

Then there is the fact that now years later and dry flower vaping is still a niche market. Its just true.....vast majority still smoke the stuff.

Last edited:
I kinda thought something was brewing, didn’t they recently do some “half-off” promotional sales?

it’s a tough bidness for sure, I’m one of those folks who isn’t tolerant of defects in vapes, especially those where the consumer has spent $200+. Some vape you give the benefit of the doubt to that sets you back a $100 or less you can shrug that off.

Never liked the aesthetic of the MV1, always felt like it looked like a Norelco electric razor prototype.

1586323486535.png

I knew I should have ordered 2 when they had the US$125 bundles...oh well, at least the 18650 battery packs look easy to open and replace.

Ghost made a number of mistakes, in my estimation

As some of you may know, "Bud" and I are friends. He sent me a very early model....before release...to try out and was a bit gobsmacked at some of my comments and indicated that other criticism I had were indeed raised by him to Ghost who choose not to implement any changes. They were indeed given good feedback but either choose not to implement or had gone too far with their design vision to change. Dunno, but yes...they were told and it was a bit of a "your baby's ugly" moment in that they were not apparently very open to this kind of input.

And, they are far from the first people to develop a tech product to their vision but which eventually failed in execution.. I was a very early employee of Corvis (long haul optical during the bubble...look it up) which is a poster boy for this kind of thing. We were blinded by our own estimation of our genius! hahaha

But firstly....I love Virgil and enjoyed my bit of a relationship with Patrick who ran the company. I have nothing bad to say about the people at Ghost at all. They seemed to give it their best and I wish them all the very best in these trying times. If you have a business with a CS function, hire Virgil. The man was just an outstanding CS agent.

But I did have some objections early on with the MV1 and they are pretty much the same ones I have today.

My first objection were the crucibles and what a PIA it was to to load them correctly. This includes the lids which were a PIA to keep clean enough. Also, the crucibles say really frakin hot for a good while and they are small. So, taking one out to stir or taking one out to immediately load another had its challenges.

Next was my objection to the "one button to bind them all" user interface. I don't like them on the MV1 or any other vape. I can live with it on a $70 VLeaF GO, but not on a top quality vape. I include in this the display of batt level before display of temp...that one met with almost universal outcry and they couldn't seem to do anything about it.

The CU. It actually works well but again its over engineered IMO and improper assembly was the source of constant demand on CS...which costs $$.

Full convection portables are a bit fiddly by nature and the MV1 was no exception. BUT, I do get dang good extraction and every time I'm alarmed by see a bit of green on the top, when I dump the AVB out its not even noticeable. Can't find the green, really. I try to do this with new vapes as just looking into the oven is often misleading.

The door latch...sigh. Coupled with their VERY accommodating CS policy and shipments of replacements, this was costly, I believe.

Then there is the CS they provided.....yes, we loved it because...well, it benefited us but cost us nothing. But it does cost someone and in this case Ghost. I have long viewed their advance replacement policy as unsustainable for Ghost.

Poor battery regulation. This one really annoyed me and its the phenom that as the battery depletes the heater performance goes down significantly. And, who knows why exactly, but re-seating your battery mitigated this to some extent. I mean, they enclosed 18650's for a reason...there is a board in there to regulate power, yeah? But, it didn't do a very good job and I tended to not use the same battery for more than two loads before recharging.

Apps...I'm fine with apps as long as ALL functions on the app are also available via the direct device user interface (i.e. buttons). Then Apple really put the squeeze on them.

Ah....I think its been mentioned already that some of their marketing and marketing related spending priorities were out of line....I mean, how many vapes did sponsoring a Slightly Stoopid tour sell exactly?

I thought they took a good first stab and that if they solicited more user feedback, and took it seriously, they may have had a much better vape or certainly a better V2. But alas, that's not to be.

The simple fact is that dry herb vaping is a small niche market and that the vast majority of folks are combusting flower or vaping means carts or dabs to them. Hard to raise money for a small market item like dry herb vaping.

I have two MV1's and four batteries. When they die, I will give them a Viking funeral and toast Virgil...the best CS rep EVER!! :-)

I just tried to get a spare from CreamCityVapes as they are only US115, make an account etc then told no post to Oz...bugger!
I managed to stuff the USB charge port on my battery and can only use the fast charger now so a spare would have been nice, more sales to come.

Anyone in the US looking for spares, nice package,
1587391646569.png

we bought one a couple years back after bud the vape critic went crazy for them....it worked a year (so-so-sometimes worked)....then left it lay a few months...went to fire up and dead.....no amount of charging worked — (we have the fast charger)—of course the company was out of business...tossed it all in the trash. an expensive lesson and no, i do not follow the vape critic any longer.

The vape and most accessories are here on sale,

The vape and most accessories are here on sale,
With keen eye, you keep finding them!
Due to space, number of units owned, I got rid of the Mighty and the Plenty , but I kept the Ghost.
(The Plenty was not getting the love it deserved, and the Mighty was much more maintenance!)
And now I eat my words...
I'm using the Mighty again, and am waiting for a Plenty to arrive. Mighty is not more maintenance all things now considered.
That post was in 2018... and by late 2019 the Ghost began to hurt my wrists.
The balance, and weight was just enough to cause pain.
a great many of the local patients are frail, and older than me.
The unit did not gain great acceptance here either.
I gotta say @LesPlenty you did find a rarity for 2021!

Last edited:
I just downloaded the Ghost App from the following and it works great on my newish phone,

I had a hard time getting my unit to connect to the app... until I turned my phones location services on, just the once to pair it and it worked flawlessly.
It is good to not have to fire up my old phone to use the app.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back