Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Discontinued Ghost MV-1

Vapes no longer in production

Baron23

Reposting my thoughts and reviews, originally posted to another site, related to my initial experiences with the MV-1.

got one early but I'm late to the game in using and posting about it. Crazy week and I don't have much time now. This is pretty much the same post I made over on Bud's site.

I just tried my first chamber with it. I was in bad shape yesterday and in no mood to fiddle with a new vape and there were circumstance that dictated I couldn’t get to it earlier even though I received it last Thursday.

Load was .1 g (est.) of Sour Tangie, my regular grind which is the NV fine grinder, my regular dry and store moisture level, nothing different. I did NOT prepare this herb for the MV-1. This is what I run in pretty much everything.

I just quit after four magnificent draws on level 2 (two amber lights). No shit, even the first hit was highly visible and dense. All hits were smooth and cool....not a cough to be had. I had to quit after four, I have to function today and I'm high as a kite (ok, I'm medicated...but I'm REALLY high! LOL).

Let me repeat, dense, visible, cool, smooth, no cough, from the start on level 2!! Whoot Whoot (I never do this shit…wow LOL)

I know others will disagree, but my view is that MJ vapor is visible. It reflects light across a wide spectrum and that’s why it looks white. I have never bought into that idea that a vape is delivering the goods without visible exhaust. Even THC distillate, with is pure THC without the water vapor and all the other stuff we boil out of herb, gives off white vapor when dabbed. No visible vapor and I immediately think of The Emperor’s New Clothes.

It was no problem with the MV-1 with this load of this herb (only my first load…a sample of one, yeah) I got very visible and dense vapor from the start (yeah, I’m getting repetitious but I’m really buzzed)

Taste started to tail off on the third draw but I expect that and there is no such thing as magic when it comes to compound boiling points. You either boiled it off, or you didn't yet. Fourth draw was still dense so I believe there is a fifth draw in there and that's one of my test use cases for 'on-demand'...that is, can I walk away from it like a pipe and then just come back and successfully hit it later.

So, I have not opened the chamber as I want to run this load out first, but I really don't give a dang how my AVB looks (I'm really trying to clean up my language here...and my combative attitude while I'm at it LOL). This is like a E-nano size load...maybe a bit bigger. If all I ever got out of a load was these four draws, then I'd perfectly happy. I know it’s not burnt or charred in there (well, I don’t know but I sure haven’t tasted any hint of it)

I didn't think about draw speed, I just drew like felt normal. I had the MP fully extended or damn close to it and got that little burbling sound which doesn't bother me a bit. I did not treat this device in any special way…I just used it which is what I expect from an appliance and it worked great.

Look, you know me....I'm not a cheerleader, I am critical and nitpicky as heck. AND, this is only my first bowl. But I’m sitting here grinning like the Cheshire Cat. If I was at a show or convention, and had a chance to just try the MV-1 for the first time and got this experience, I would be immediately buying one.

I'm not going to do the MV-1 vs Mighty comparison...I think it’s unfair to both companies. Both are great vapes. I really like my Mighty for that go to bed, 'sedation and pain', session. Cause that's what I want at that point in time, a .2 - .25 g session. It’s perfect for that.

But when I wake up in at 2 in the morning in pain and want some really effective and quick hits to put me back to bed, the MV-1 will be my choice. Daytime, can't beat it (except I'm way too blasted right now for this time of day! LOL).

Now, I still stand my constructive criticism regarding the crucible lid and the controls/displays. Lid must have some degree of retention and I think something as simple as making the tabs fit inside of the crucible with a bit of a friction fit would do it. People have dismissed retaining the lid for reasons such as the complexity and failure modes of tiny hinges…but it need not be anywhere that complex. Wrt to display and controls, so me and Ghost have a difference in design aesthetics. To me a vape is primarily a tool, not a symbol of my life style. So I want straight forward controls and displays that provide the resolution I want and to this end, one button for all modes/values and one set of idiot lights does not satisfy. To me, proper controls would be an on/off, up, and down button coupled with a display that showed temp and battery charge. But, neither of these criticisms are impacting my ability to use and enjoy my new vape. I would offer them to Ghost as future feature requests.

P.S. - I did just open the chamber and everything was quite evenly browned but it does look like a 5th hit is in there.

P.S.S. - there was a 5th, 6th, and very wispy 7th left in there....Tangie sure does give up the vapor! LOL
================

There have been issues with some devices not heating evenly, sufficiently, perhaps in some cases too hot, and in general just not right. Mine is fine, but others I trust say that they are having issues. I thought that Ghost were pretty clear and open about the issue....the one-off utility that they used to unlock temps that should be set by the app (4 & 5), indeed seemed to screw up other default temp settings that should not have been effected.

You might want to glance over this reply from Ghost for their input and views on support of this going forward

https://forum.vapelife.com/discussion/comment/28412
===============
Another repost from my 2nd load. Very busy week with family and a lot of other stuff...not a lot of time to play with the MV-1 or write up impressions.

I ran a load of Mr Nice for my bed time sedation/pain session. This was my second load. I would say that this herb was just a bit more damp than the Sour Tangie first load. As a result, the first draw was more wispy but no more so that I have gotten with a Mighty or GH. Second draw was great and third was thick as can be.

However, again, this herb was NOT prepared special for the MV-1 but is my normal fine grind, drying box for a bit then store in Space Case, herb that I use for every other vape. I HATE finicky and am relieved that my regular approach to preparing herb worked just fine.

I got six good draws, three on level 2 and three on level 3 with one last wispy 7th draw. I did have to temp step to level 3 with this dense indica leaning hybrid while the sativa leaning Sour Tangie gave up its vapor all on L2. I do find differences in strain (even batch) and how they vape.

AVB was pretty dang good....extremely small darker spot in the middle, but not charred. I'm with @Sue on this, I know char when I see it and this wasn't charred.

This herb had gone through a NV fine grinder and a bit of drying in a pollen box. I load it the way I load just about anything else....I just use the NV Pax loading tool scoop and drop a scoop in there and use the tool to just settle it a bit, no tamping though at all....just settle it down a bit. Worked fine. I would estimate this load to be .12 or so but I will start weighing crucible loads going forward to verify.

All herb is a bit different to vape. e.g. Blue Dream and the Tangie are both lighter colored herb and give up lots of vapor easily. The Mr Nice is kind of middle of the road. I just finished some Fire OG and this particular herb was very stingy giving up vapor. I cannot explain this, but its been pretty consistent. The Fire OG really would have been better burnt than vaped but....

I will say that after completing a load in a session type way I got no overheating (yeah, Troy) and while the swing arm got pretty warm, the rest of the vape was nice and cool and it was easy to hold without touching the closed swing arm without doing a lot of body English.

Let's talk effects. I do try to take a bit of an objective or scientific approach to some of this stuff. And its a fact that there is just not much in the way of research on vape extraction efficiency and overall cannibinoid delivery.

Here is the only scholarly article that I have found that addresses this.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0147286

Its dense, I can't say I read the whole study and looked in detail at all of the charts and data...but the summary or abstract is pretty illuminating.

In Vitro Validation of Vaporizers said:
Recoveries of THCtot and CBDtot in the vapor of 4 electrically-driven vaporizers were 58.4 and 51.4%, 66.8 and 56.1%, 82.7 and 70.0% and 54.6 and 56.7% for Volcano Medic®, Plenty Vaporizer®, Arizer Solo® and DaVinci Vaporizer®, respectively. Decarboxylation efficiency was excellent for THC (≥ 97.3%) and CBD (≥ 94.6%).

So, scientifically and mathematically, its simply not possible to extract three times as much as these other top line vapes. You just can't.

With that said, for some reason or another this vape really hits me hard. I wasn't kidding about that day time Tangie load...it whacked me.

Now I have experienced a couple of things.....one, different vapes definitely do seem to have a different 'signature' in terms of effects. I have always thought my humble glass VapCap OG had some sort of black magic as a it gets me very high on very little (but certainly not as comfortably as the MV-1).

But one of my other experiences is 'new vape excitement'. It often seems that a new vape is sort of like hitting a new strain that gets around your strain lock and hits you like it did when you were 16 (or when I was 16, all others I'm sure waited until they were adults with fully formed brains before imbibing in MJ...right? LOL). But its real. First sessions with my Enano (which I still adore) just blew me away. Same with my GH. My first session with the EVO got me so high that when I tried a second ELB load, I forgot to put the lid on it and promptly filled my HT with ground herb (and I was way too high to do anything about it at the time LOL). I don't know what it is, some sort of variation of the placebo effect or what.

All I'm saying is the MV-1 got me really blasted but I will be interested to see my reactions after a few months with it. But at the moment, Ghost does seem to have some secret sauce.

I do notice a little bit of grinding when extracting the MP from the HS...but it doesn't really bother me, they will have new parts out for free and without prompting or RMA action by owners, and it didn't scratch the glass at all. None issue for me.

We need a crucible loading tool. It does not need to be extravagant or complex...better if it was just simple. But something funnel like or otherwise as it is a bit of a PIA to fill the crucible and not drop herb all over the place. I have a loading tool for my SwiftPro, one from Delta 3D for my GH, certainly the Mighty has a loading tool but the oven is a pretty big target (and not filled to the brim) so not as important to me there. But the crucibles, yeah...that would be nice.

TLDR - Overall, still very, very happy with this purchase.

Oh, P.S. - these crucibles, when used for back to back draws for a session, get hot as f*ck!!

So, the EVO ELBs get hot and I have definitely burned myself with a hot Enano GonG, but the crucible does get very hot and unlike the Mighty's dosing capsules, I can't just turn it over and dump the crucible out....BECAUSE THE LID IS NOT RETAINED!! LOL

I pretty heat sensitive compared to others, but this sucker does really get hot and it does take time to cool off to the point I could extract it for reloading.

In summary, so far (and this is very preliminary due to not enough use yet), I am very happy with the MV-1. I view it as portable and not pocketable and a home portable at that due to crucible lid situation and size/weight. It seems to be very fit for purpose in its use case, but it is not the universal, sell everything else you have, vape. For example, I do so far like my MV-1 very much, but I'm also not selling my Mighty. Two very different, but excellent, vapes and both fit use cases that I desire.

Got to run...will be back later. Good luck, guys

Hi guys - so, ran four loads through my MV-1 and during the fourth, battery went down to one light and my completely subjective (as in I can't prove it or even swear to it) observation is that the performance with one battery light got a bit weaker. As discussed, this is anticipated to be fixed/improved by the app and firmware update when released, but right now I would estimate I would get about 50 draws from a batter load (which really ain't all that bad, tell the truth).

Popped it back on the fast charger, as ion batteries tend to not like being fully discharged I believe) and put in a load that this time I did prepare especially for the MV-1. That is, I used the NV coarse grinder and just let this herb dry out in a pollen box for about 7-8 days. Now, the herb still was not crumbly dry by any means. Its still sticky, dank Mr Nice....but it certainly was dry enough for vaping.

Here is the grind I used:
6vwb6e1dssyjzyx2.jpeg

Load in the crucible prior to vaping
tmkuvtk4qseng1kf.jpeg

Resulting AVB after running on L2 and stepping up to L3 to finish it off
9ujrmg5n9tlhbzxb.jpeg

Worked fine but my other finer ground, regular drying process worked fine also.

You will note a very small crumb of herb in the AVB still looking a bit greenish...but this truly was a crumb and not anything I would give a second thought about.

So far, working well but looking forward to getting the app and being able to truly eval baseline performance.

Cheers

Received it wed night. Here's my initial thoughts :

Received from ups at 730 so I opened the box up and made sure to get charging (takes about two and half hours)
I knew when I bought it the crucible would give me grief. Thought I could keep it inside by topping with a SS screen .. didn't go as planned. Keep in mind I was loading the ceramic bowl and the placing the screen over the material and then the silver lid over that. The. I tried with just the silver lid and spilled it getting it in.
CMJ7sC3.jpg

noticed my top portion of silicone was a little moved and so I gave it a tug and it popped out .. it's molded to fit where it goes so it's not a big deal taken it out and putting it back? Took it out and rinsed with soap and water. There was a silicone smell (it's new) smells new. The wash helped a little. Enough where I honestly don't care to soak in coconut oil because it doesn't bother me much...

I thought it was going to be cheap looking /guady like a magnesium alloy. It just mentions full alloy body so who knows but I like it. It has weight to it. Fits in my pocket but without a belt on I might loose my shorts! Haha

don't LOVE the mp assembly.. I thought the fins on the metal part was where the air travels. But I guess having the fins discipates heat better then a solid metal? ( Boundless wpa gets hot as fuh!!!!) But I haven't been able to fire it up cuz it's still charging.

aLsO*** the top (cap) of the metal mp assembly is not metal. Looks like it is but it's not ... IDK if it matters because I haven't experienced in operation temps. I don't think it's a big deal (yet)

So I mean just gotta let it charge and test it out.

After it was all charged up and ready to go I removed the mp assembly and took a better look on how it works

The air comes into the bottom of the metal
NfKoAzs.jpg

around and up the ceramic into 2 holes
uRsnjx4.jpg

and then into the bottom of the glass and then your mouth

my main strife with this thing is loading and unloading the crucible and the sound it emits while heating. I was having a hard time holding the button down because of the high pitched frequency... The crucible I thought I was going to be able to use the SS screen to hold it down. My hands are fairly shaky and embarrassed to say this but I spilled 2 of 3 crucibles. It does work really well. I started the default (3amber) and got nice clouds and most certainly coughed. Like the Milaana you have to gradually fill the crucible with heat. I never got any sort of Blinking red light or overheating on my 3 back to back.. idk what others are experiencing with this?.. also no charring .. I noticed more heat was concentrated twords the middle of the crucible so I decreased draw speed and got a more even avb at the end of session 2 (crucible 2)

I guess the top of the heat sink isn't metal for good reason. If the mp isn't fully extended the heat sink gets HOT after 2 back to back I'd say. So if it was metal it would burn your lips if you have that silver a kiss... by the end of my 3 cruicibles (about 25-30 draws I was brought down to 2 lights battery life
And I was also ready for bed

I spoke with the vapecritic about the crucible design and he said they may switch it up but for now he's uncertain. I did take advantage of the buy back guarantee so even though it wasn't right for me my experience with ghost and vapecritic was effortless. if given another opportunity with an improved crucible system I would try out the unit once more.

I spoke with the vapecritic about the crucible design and he said they may switch it up but for now he's uncertain.

A goodly time ago, they (Ghost) were told:

1. The crucible lid design is deficient and will be a high barrier to many medical patients and older users with less dexterity
2. The one button control and idiot lights is a deficiency that they should have corrected
3. That they should run a beta team test (not some stoners and rock band roadies but experienced vape beta testers).

For reasons of their own, they decided to go in the current direction.

@Baron23 I'm sure they will revisit the issues ... That high pitched frequency was rough as well. But yes the cruicible needs a revamp and as far as cloud production and taste it was a nice vape. It is just is so much easier using A stem to load. Wasnt a huge fan of how it looked but was willing to see past that.

@Baron23 I'm sure they will revisit the issues ... That high pitched frequency was rough as well. But yes the cruicible needs a revamp and as far as cloud production and taste it was a nice vape. It is just is so much easier using A stem to load. Wasnt a huge fan of how it looked but was willing to see past that.
Did I see correctly on VLF that you have asked Bud for his money back refund?

I spoke with the vapecritic about the crucible design and he said they may switch it up but for now he's uncertain. I did take advantage of the buy back guarantee so even though it wasn't right for me my experience with ghost and vapecritic was effortless. if given another opportunity with an improved crucible system I would try out the unit once more.

Never quoted myself before haha yeah I asked for a refund I guess he's busy because I messaged him last night and this morning to send me a label so I could have it mailed back to him today. Tommorow is my bday ... This was a gift from the Mrs so stinks it didn't work out.

Edit: Ghost should make glass crucibles with a quarter turn pickle jar style lid?
-sorry day dreaming

Last edited:
I bought one, got the free fast charger. You guys have pretty much covered the reviews. Does it work-Yes, better than other vapes I've purchased when they were first released. Is it a PIA to load-YES, even with "girl hands" you guys must really hate it!!. Is it the be all end all-NO, not by a long shot. It's heavy, if I didn't have a fast charger, I'd hate it and the price is high. I still prefer my Crafty./CFV/CFX etc. I'm not asking for a refund, I'll use it until the next great vape comes along-Hopefully the Tera !! Then I'll donate some more vapes to @Vitolo -I just hate going to the P.O. and I'm lazy..

$295.00

https://blog.puffitup.com/2018/09/ghost-mv1-vaporizer-review-convection-on-demand/

Randy has a review of the Ghost MV1 Convection portable vape up on PIU.

The Ghost MV1 is a portable convection vaporizer with an overpowered heater for delicious, monster rips on demand. Most full convection vapes can’t compete with hybrids in vapor thickness but the MV1 heats nearly instantly and brings clouds with the best of them.

5 inches tall and 12 ounces the Ghost is one of the bulkier battery powered portables. For a comparison to a portable that’s known for being large: the Storz & Bickel Mighty is half an inch taller but 3 ounces lighter and a bit slimmer. The MV1 will fit in the pocket of your jeans but the bulge isn’t exactly discreet.

The heater and loading chamber are separated so heated air only reaches your material during draws to maintain nearly 100% convection.

The MV1 has six different temperature settings. The three orange LED temps are low, medium and high.

Airpath & Internals
We haven’t taken apart a Ghost MV1 just yet but from what we can tell the airpath does appear to be entirely isolated from the electronics. Air flows in through the front of the heatsink at the top of the unit, down past the green silicone cushions around your crucible and into the heater. After being heated the air travels up through your material and then up through the heatsink before finally reaching the mouthpiece. The removable heatsink is one of the best features of the Ghost. It forces vapor to to pass through a long path of metal and ceramic, filtering out nearly all of the irritating particles and absorbing a lot of heat from your vapor before it reaches the mouthpiece. The heatsink is modular and easy to take apart for cleaning out any honey buildup.

accessories.jpg

and the functions are simple.
I have always heard they are more trouble than they are worth, too much maintenance to keep at top performance and the heat level interface nothing but confusing, especially for colour blind people. I have been waiting for version 2 with all the problems ironed out.:thumbsup:

I am impatient, and do not like change.
I had the unit figured out in about 20 minutes.
The color change is not only a color, but the colors vary greatly in shade and intensity(brightness).
I am reluctant to mess with complex vapes, but "Vape Critic", Bud's videos made me interested, and it went well for me.
Due to space, number of units owned, I got rid of the Mighty and the Plenty , but I kept the Ghost.
(The Plenty was not getting the love it deserved, and the Mighty was much more maintenance!)
When V2 comes out I am sure you will enjoy it.

Last edited:
I have always heard they are more trouble than they are worth, too much maintenance to keep at top performance and the heat level interface nothing but confusing, especially for colour blind people. I have been waiting for version 2 with all the problems ironed out.:thumbsup:

That's pretty much what ive heard too.

I think vape manufactures should take their time before rushing to market. And don't get me started on the pre pay for untested unreleased vapes lol.

In this market segment the mighty dominates. (my opinion) If manufacturers can't beat the mighty on quality, or innovation, they'd better beat them on price.

Last edited:
I have had two Mighty Units over time.
They were more trouble to clean, and required it more often than the Ghost does.
The Ghost has a shorter vapor path, and the vapor does not hit as many "baffles"... meaning there is less resin and powder to clean from less places,
and the vapor has less distance to travel before entering the mouth.
I had my doubts on day 1 with the MV1, but by day 2 I was enjoying it, especially in the flavor department.

They were more trouble to clean, and required it more often than the Ghost does.
The Ghost has a shorter vapor path, and the vapor does not hit as many "baffles"... meaning there is less resin and powder to clean from less places,
I had my doubts on day 1 with the MV1, but by day 2 I was enjoying it, especially in the flavor department.
Hi Vitolo - Now, I love my two MV1's and I was on the beta team. I have had MV1's from the start. But I also own a Mighty that I love very much also.

I actually don't find my Mighty to accumulate reclaim faster than my MV1...just in a different place....Mighty, in the CU....MV1, bottom of the heat sink and the ceramic heat sink insert. Also, the crucible lid.

To me, they are both top tier great vapes, but very different and...and this is just me...I don't find the need to rank one above the other.

Have a great day and best of luck with the wonderful work you do in AZ for financially challenged med patients.

I am impatient, and do not like change.
I had the unit figured out in about 20 minutes.
The color change is not only a color, but the colors vary greatly in shade and intensity(brightness).
I am reluctant to mess with complex vapes, but "Vape Critic", Bud's videos made me interested, and it went well for me.
Due to space, number of units owned, I got rid of the Mighty and the Plenty , but I kept the Ghost.
(The Plenty was not getting the love it deserved, and the Mighty was much more maintenance!)
When V2 comes out I am sure you will enjoy it.
I love PLENTY however it's a plug in?
The GHOST is portable.
.?Is the GHOST as wonderful as the SOLO?

I guess I'll smoke a bowl until I know what 2 do?

Last edited:

I've only had one mighty. It will be four yr old this nov. never a trouble although the batteries are getting tired. We're down to four bowls per charge. I do not consider the cleaning to be any trouble at all. We use the capsules, and no top screen in the cooling unit.

To clean, about every 3 days or so I wipe the cooling unit with a alcohol prep pad. Takes a few seconds. Every few weeks, maybe once a month, i soak the whole cooling unit in alcohol inside a zip lock bag, and keep it warm with hot water. Ten minutes top it's clean.

I really like those baffles. They cool the vapor nicely. I consider them high end engineering.

Maybe I shouldn't have commented on your post because I've only read the ghost thread on FC, and not actually used one. But I do love our mighty.

I've only had one mighty. It will be four yr old this nov. never a trouble although the batteries are getting tired. We're down to four bowls per charge. I do not consider the cleaning to be any trouble at all. We use the capsules, and no top screen in the cooling unit.

To clean, about every 3 days or so I wipe the cooling unit with a alcohol prep pad. Takes a few seconds. Every few weeks, maybe once a month, i soak the whole cooling unit in alcohol inside a zip lock bag, and keep it warm with hot water. Ten minutes top it's clean.

I really like those baffles. They cool the vapor nicely. I consider them high end engineering.

Maybe I shouldn't have commented on your post because I've only read the ghost thread on FC, and not actually used one. But I do love our mighty.
I use a SOLO from when they first came out. (Just after the ceramic bowl)
This thing won’t die? (I changed the battery’s twice)
I was going 2 get a GHOST next?
Maybe the reviewer’s are influenced? (Like DC?)
Time 4 a bowl!

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back