Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Recipe Glycerin Tincture

Vitolo

Vaporist
I just read @momofthegoons recipe for Green Dragon.
Being in the middle of a tincture project of my own, I thought I would share my personal method of creating glycerin tincture.
I know that decarboxylation is important to many, and some of you have read my rationale for not decarboxylatiing in some recipes.
Butter for example is under constant heat for 12 hours, and the decarboxylation (the change) happens in the fat as the butter absorbs all cannabinoids under heat for 12 hours.
When making this tincture of Glycerin it is the same principle.
I let the weeks under heat do the extra work for me.
I make smaller batches these days, to stay in compliance with the law.
I use 50 grams of dried buds... which I blend well into dust in a blender.
I pour the powder into a half gallon Ball Jar.
I add 1 quart of Vegetable Glycerin.
Don't be a cheapskate use the pure stuff.
DSC05236.JPG

Place it into a crock pot that is tall and thin (deep) enough to cover the mixture you have just created.
DSC05237.JPG

Keep some water nearby.
If you turn unit off at night while you sleep.. it takes longer.
Every 3-4 hours for the next 4-5 weeks, Take the jar and shake it aggressively for 2-3 minutes, and put it back.
When you first remove the jar the herb will all be at the top... an inch against the quart of liquid
After a severe shaking it will be mixed but will separate slowly again.
DSC05240.JPG

Continue this for 4-5 weeks .
I turn off the unit at night if going to bed very early.
8 hours will not evaporate the entire amount of water... but if you are not sure, turn it off at night.
If you learn that your crock pot holds enough water to only go halfway down over night, you can decrease the total time to 3 weeks
DSC05239.JPG

At the end of the 3 weeks...
Remove the Jar...
Get some Jelly Bags.
DSC05241.JPG

Hook the legs around a 12 quart pot
DSC05242.JPG

Hang the bag and under the bag in that pot, place a 2 quart pyrex measuring cup (remember you only started out with 1 quart liquid. )
Pour the entire contents of the glycerin jar you've been cooking into the jelly bag suspended over a measuring cup.
Let it drip until you see no further drippage.
Then wring it out with strong hands until you'be gotten it all.
Next you will start the filtration ... this takes about a week.. Things go faster if you work in a heated room or hot space, due to the glycerin's reduced viscosity in warm environment.

DSC05243.JPG

DSC05244.JPG

DSC05245.JPG
** No... I am not sharing my Pico de Gallo you see in background!
DSC05246.JPG

Continued......

Last edited:
DSC05247.JPG

DSC05248.JPG

DSC05249.JPG

You will let this drip (it is only water in the image) until it has run dry over a 1 quart jar
When each is done, wring out last drops like this....
DSC05250.JPG

DSC05251.JPG

DSC05252.JPG

It can take up to a week... even 2
It works best as I said in a very warm spot.
You will then have a quart jar, 3/4 full of what looks like honey.
DSC01290.jpg

You know what to do from there!
No kidding, the stuff is strong and good tasting.
It varies by strain in color... gold... red... but all look good.
You can vape it in a traditional e cig just as it is, but it takes quite a few tokes to get you going...
Some drip it under their tongue (oh...that my tolerance was that low!)
I have been making this for a very long time.
I hope you like it.

View attachment 97
View attachment 98
View attachment 99
You will let this drip (it is only water in the image) until it has run dry over a 1 quart jar
When each is done, wring out last drops like this....
View attachment 100
View attachment 101
View attachment 102
It can take up to a week... even 2
It works best as I said in a very warm spot.
You will then have a quart jar, 3/4 full of what looks like honey.
DSC01290.jpg

You can vape it in a traditional e cig just as it is, but it takes quite a few tokes to get you going...
I hope you like it.
This is an excellent use for reclaim and AVB especially :biggrin: Thanks for sharing.

All of you know I am against VG when used for vaporization (VG is known to produce carcinogens when heated and inhaled). Eating or sublingual application like this is no problem though - a good use of cannabis actives that might otherwise be missed!) :biggrin:

I hope you like it.
Finished products from two strains:
DSC03486.jpg

DSC03485.jpg

Important note:
When I make alcohol tinctures, I also DO NOT ever decarboxylate.
After all filtrations are done, the alcohol tincture will be sitting for 1/2 day floated within
a larger pot of boiling water, until it has reduced to 25% of it's original volume.
This allows decarboxylation in liquid form to occur.
One does not have to do this to the raw marijuana first.
The only time I decarboxylate is when I am going to use green MJ directly in a recipe...
and then I do it stovetop in a dry frying pan.
Photoon2011-05-21at1555.jpg

Last edited:
DOS AND DON’TS OF VEGETABLE GLYCERIN

Shanel August 26, 2020
Vegetable glycerin is a sweet, thick liquid that is popular in a variety of foods and often used in cannabis tincture making. Because it is pleasant tasting and doesn’t burn when you swallow it or put it under your tongue, many people prefer a tincture that has vegetable glycerin as a base instead of alcohol.
C89652F1-EEED-4298-BEF6-06C046EB5249-02-1024x769.jpg

Here’s the catch – VG might taste great, but since it doesn’t contain fat or alcohol, it is not an effective infusion medium.
In other words, the VG does not do a good job of pulling the THC, CBD, CBG or other cannabinoids from the plant material.
As a result, you don’t want to use VG as your infusion/extraction solvent.
C89652F1-EEED-4298-BEF6-06C046EB5249-01-1024x769.jpg

In fact, compared to alcohol and oil-based solvents, which can extract over 90% of cannabinoids from the plant, VG only pulls out less than 10%! That means if you are trying to extract cannabinoids from the activated flower into VG, you are missing out on over 85% of the available THC and will end up with very few of the cannabinoids in the final tincture. So don’t expect a strong tincture if you use VG as a solvent for your extractions.
C89652F1-EEED-4298-BEF6-06C046EB5249-02-02-01-1024x769.jpg

You can see in the example above, using 19.8% THC decarbed flower (198 mg per gram), the vegetable glycerin (VG) was only able to extract 11 mgs of the 198 mgs available. See the detailed test results here:
  • 1 gram decarbed flower using the Nova
  • 1 gram of decarbed flower infused into 1 ounce VG in the Nova
So why is VG so popular, and how do you use it the right way?
VG is popular because it is mild tasting and doesn’t burn your mouth when you hold it under your tongue or swallow. This makes it ideal to use as a mixing ingredient with alcohol-based extractions or with decarbed concentrates in order to make a tincture that tastes better and doesn’t burn when administered.
Using Glyceric To Soften Alcohol Extractions
You can do an alcohol extraction with Everclear, which is a quick and easy process. Just decarb your flower, add Everclear and the decarbed flower into a jar and shake.
C89652F1-EEED-4298-BEF6-06C046EB5249-03-1024x769.jpg

Let the Everclear and decarbed flower mixture sit for an hour or so and then strain. You’ll have an active alcohol tincture that has extracted most of the THC or CBD from the plant, because alcohol is a very effective solvent. But again, this tincture will be very overwhelming taken directly, with a stinging and unpleasant taste that can also lead to alcohol intoxication if you drink too much.
C89652F1-EEED-4298-BEF6-06C046EB5249-02-1-1024x769.jpg

In order to make an alcohol extraction taste more smooth and contain less alcohol, VG can be mixed in to lower the alcohol content and make the tincture taste better. You could also let your alcohol mixture stay out overnight to allow the alcohol to evaporate and then add the VG. The more alcohol you let evaporate, the more concentrated and potent the extraction will become. You can mix that concentrate with the VG to make a very smooth and more potent tincture.
C89652F1-EEED-4298-BEF6-06C046EB5249-02-02-03-1024x769.jpg

Using Glycerin To Make Tinctures With Concentrates
If you are starting out with a concentrated form of cannabis like wax, shatter or rosin from the beginning, VG can also come in handy to transform the concentrate into a tincture. After you decarboxylate your concentrate, you can mix the decarbed concentrate with the VG in order to create a custom tincture. Make sure that you are mixing the ingredients warm so they can blend well for a consistent dose. Adding a small amount of coconut oil to the decarbed concentrate before mixing with the VG can help with blending.
Decarbing and blending concentrates is an easy way to make potent tinctures.
C89652F1-EEED-4298-BEF6-06C046EB5249-02-04-1024x769.jpg

As long as you remember that VG is not a good vehilce for infusing with flower (it does a poor job of extracting the THC or CBD from the flower) but is a good option for mixing to make a tincture with an alcohol extraction or a cannabis concentrate, you’ll do just fine.
unnamed-9-1024x768.jpg

Use FX or Nova to make your decarbing and infusing dreams come true at the press of a button. Discreet activation of all strains and materials.
MAKE BETTER PRODUCTS FOR LESS!

Nice post @bulllee !
Nice pictoral layout too..... very informative!

Since I use no device, and stubbornly make my products the old school way... very hands on and lengthy, I will tell of an analogy I have used about VG:
VG requires time, pressure and heat... THC has to be coaxed into it... The other fatty mediums do it faster as they are oil based.
A person that would normally speak English may not speak the language well in a foreign country, and when they do, they will have an accent of their native land .
If he lives there long enough he will speak like a native, with perfect absence of his American dialectal difference.
That is from:
  1. Time (spent with residents of another land.)
  2. Heat (Interacting very closely and immersing self in the culture deeply)
  3. Pressure (Ability to remain close to those in the new environment)
Some people can not eat butter, or coconut oil... and do not want calories... but want a tincture that can easily be left under the tongue, with pleasant flavor, but without the oils (oils do not easily allow the THC to be absorbed as readily under the tongue near nerve endings).
Enter Glycerin Tincture.... used for almost 50 years.
Everclear, as a high purity alcohol, instantly strips the THC......
You can dip your finger in the glycerin tincture, and lick it. When done licking it the finger will have the traditional tackiness of MMJ resiny residue.
Glycerin Tincture takes me 3 weeks to make.
Alcohol tincture takes me a day and a half.
MY alcohol tinctures have measured in at 80%THC.
My glycerin tinctures, in spite of the great time expenditure only come in at 65%,
It is good to have both... some patients panic about any form of alcohol (perhaps recovered alcoholics, as well as Those with duodenal Ulcers).

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back