Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vapes no longer in production
I lost my GH that someone gave me while I was on a trip. It's somewhere between the OR coast and the CA redwoods. I ordered another one and recieved it fairly quickly. I paid extra for three day shipping. It came in the three days,

I've been testing it a lot because I think it has some issues. I hope I can work through them.

The hopper will turn on if bumped at times while laying on the table. So I need to take the battery out when not in use. Sometimes it won't turn off and I have to manually turn the unit off.

It stopped working off and on but I cleaned the area where the battery sits with a qtip and ISO. I think debis gets on the battery connector because the other side is where your oven is filled with cannabis. ABV dust may accumulate? At least it's not turning off like it was and seems to be working a little better. I may need to send the unit back but I'm giving it some time to try to work through it.

I'm continuing to go through my batteries to see which ones aren't working well. I have six and out of five so far two batteries are really low. I'm marking low batteries with a sharpie so I can keep track. I will order more down the road. I use a Nitecore charger, it charges two batteries at a time.
Carol, its defective....send it back. No need to try to accommodate malfunction and turning on unintended is indeed a malfunction.

I've decided the standard USB cable charger is too big/long for my travelling needs.

I'd love to see HL's come out with a compact travel charger.

Something like the below would be awesome:

STwcIVo.jpg

I've decided the standard USB cable charger is too big/long for my travelling needs.

I'd love to see HL's come out with a compact travel charger.

Something like the below would be awesome:

STwcIVo.jpg
That's a cool thought. You really think the factory charger is too big? I never did learn the trick of traveling light! LOL

I'm not knocking it, it's fine for home use but a smaller travel version would take up less room in these small e-cig cases:

FZ8tE5A.jpg

That's room for more batteries or a larger stash, it would also be a lot neater.
hehe...yeah, I see the issue. I actually don't use my Hopper charger. I carry batteries in my travel case and use a Nitecore to charge expended batteries. The factory charger definitely will not fit in my case.

Grasshopper Kit.jpeg

Well I have been a bit down lately (lower than ground, actually) so I decided to buy myself a birthday present and take advantage of the 15% off sale GH is running now. Here is hoping I'm one of the lucky ones.

Even bought myself a little case and some Delta 3D accessories. Next week should be fun fun fun in the sun sun sun, as the kids say ...

:ko:

If only those sales would make their way here lol
Vapefiend had some grasshoppers a while ago, but no batteries so I didn't see much point in getting one.
Since then they've had no stock at all :( I don't think they've even had any of the PFE's

Entered the HopperLabs contest on Reddit. I know they have a lot of problems but still never understood the hype and always wanted to try one out. I see them talking about longer battery life and fauilure rates dimishing with improved qc and cs comming soon... just lots of ifs .. kinda like the mv1. To win would be cool but I can't see dropping 200+ if it's unreliable ... Even if you can send it in for repairs a million times for the shipping cost.

This site is starting to get to me.It seems like all the grownups are here. What else could I ask for? Serious problems solved through advice from friends and positive tales from those who share the new tricks they have learned from using their GH,
Milaanas, Crafty's...... This is the start of a great ride & I'm glad i'm on it.

I have been using the Hopper since the 19th, and so far, I am quite pleased.

It arrived quickly, and as such I was able to use it during the Eclipse. I happened to be in a town that was considered one of the best to see the Total Eclipse, so it was nice to have around. Using it freely in front of folks, no one gave me a second look. Except for younger people who wanted to know if it was one of "those" vaporizers lol. Then I had to bloody share. Damn hipster coworkers. :hmm:

I like the shape, size, feel, and weight. The heat-up time is fantastic. The ease of use is outstanding.

Although I am pretty much stoned all day, I do consider myself a lightweight. From the moment I wake up, to when I fall asleep, I am habitually taking tokes. But one chamber and one GH battery will last me all day - with minor rationing, if need be. So battery life and chamber size are perfect for me. Although I do nevertheless carry around an extra chamber's worth and battery in my travel case. I paid for the bloody case so I may as well use it. :nod:

I really like the temp control being available by just twisting the top end. I would prefer more precise temp changes of course, but it is an acceptable trade-off.

Really surprised at how you don't actually have to stir, although it seems to help with the last few hits to finish off a chamber. But usually I'm home by then and just use my HI instead. Why put the GH through unnecessary wear and tear?

I really don't want to go to RMA land, so I am only using it for usage away from home, at this point. One chamber or less, 6 times a week ... hope it lasts me as long as @Baron23 's GH has without a return!

The Delta3D stand and funnel are must haves, IMO. Very handy.

I have only used the stock charger, so far. Seems unbearably slow, sometimes. I wonder if using the 2 amp USB slot is much tougher on the batteries than the 1 amp? As if I would fucking know.

The vapor is certainly harsher than I'd like, but it is the obvious trade-off for something this size and this stealthy.

I am glad I don't ever need to use it for more than a max of 2 hits at a time. The thing gets bloody hot FAST. And no free condoms anymore :cry: . I guess charging an extra $30 to alleviate the heat instead of what they used to give away as a stock item is the better option for the consumer them lol. Well, I will let it slide, considering the strain they must be under. But I don't like it!

It's a neat little vape though. Fun to play around with. I would never use it as a daily driver, but as far as usage of dry herbage stealth fully away from home, I don't know of anything better or sleeker or cooler or neater currently on the market. Hope mine is one of the newer, "more reliable" units. :naughty2:

I wasn't exactly the most positive voice about GH, their campaign, or their product on another forum back in the day, going so far back as when it was called the ZenPen. Curious happenings happened back in those times. I stand by what I said back then (feel free to look it up), but ... well, at this point, I do wish GH good fortune, even though I don't agree with most of the moves they have made as a business since their campaign started. But the product, IMO, speaks for itself. You just gotta go in with eyes wide open, I guess. If they survive another couple years and keep refining the product, I think it could really be something truly unbeatable in many respects, especially since it already is impressive in many ways.

More thoughts to come as I remember them. I know you'll be on the edge of your seat in suspense. Or on the edge maybe because you just want to stop reading my post and get up and away from your computer. :ko:

I sent my GH back for warranty. I had a hard time turning it on. It would take several clicks most of the time or it would turn on randomly while just sitting on the table. So if I chose to take my GH somewhere I would take out the battery.

I cleaned it all up and into its original box and packaging. I needed to include one of my batteries as well. The postmaster asked if I had a lithium battery and I said no. Afterwards I wondered if that was the best choice. I didn't want the postmaster to question me about the item I was shipping. Hopefully my battery won't cause a fire. It will be in Boulder tomorrow. Shipping for me was a little over $4. I'm glad it's not expensive like Canada and Europe.

I'm hoping this won't happen on a regular basis. GH doesn't have a good track record. They continue to have faulty units. I bought this unit knowing all this. Maybe Hopper Labs will get it right this time.

The area where the battery sits needs to be cleaned regularly because the screeen is right underneath where the cannabis is vaping in the oven. I think little particles or oil gets on the area where the battery goes.

My unit has been in testing status for one week according to my online GH account. I just shot them off an email wanted to know what's taking so long. Either fix my unit or send me a new one. I don't have patients for or this kind of stuff. If they can't fix something in a timely manor send out a new one.

I sent my GH back for warranty. I had a hard time turning it on. It would take several clicks most of the time or it would turn on randomly while just sitting on the table. So if I chose to take my GH somewhere I would take out the battery.

I cleaned it all up and into its original box and packaging. I needed to include one of my batteries as well. The postmaster asked if I had a lithium battery and I said no. Afterwards I wondered if that was the best choice. I didn't want the postmaster to question me about the item I was shipping. Hopefully my battery won't cause a fire. It will be in Boulder tomorrow. Shipping for me was a little over $4. I'm glad it's not expensive like Canada and Europe.

I'm hoping this won't happen on a regular basis. GH doesn't have a good track record. They continue to have faulty units. I bought this unit knowing all this. Maybe Hopper Labs will get it right this time.

The area where the battery sits needs to be cleaned regularly because the screeen is right underneath where the cannabis is vaping in the oven. I think little particles or oil gets on the area where the battery goes.

Hahaha I thought they said battery at the post office, but I also said no. it will be in Boulder tomorrow for me :-). It cost me $10 bucks because I did one of those flat rate boxes and insured it up to $200 bucks.

My GH was gone a total of 3 weeks including shipping and Hopper Labs trying to fix it. It looks like I was given a completely different unit. The area under the battery looks like all metal now, a copper type color. It's working like a champion. It also has a different serial numbe. There was a small scratch by the clip but this one doesn't have a scratch.

I bought a new leather sleeve from Amazon for $12. Hopper Labs sells them and they cost a lot more. Their accessories are pretty spendy. The battery charger is like $60. My Nitecore works just fine and it was only $14.
Here's a pic of the leather sleeve.

• NMBO4lh.jpg

Last edited:
My GH was gone a total of 3 weeks including shipping and Hopper Labs trying to fix it. It looks like I was given a completely different unit. The area under the battery looks like all metal now, a copper type color. It's working like a champion. It also has a different serial numbe. There was a small scratch by the clip but this one doesn't have a scratch.

I bought a new leather sleeve from Amazon for $12. Hopper Labs sells them and they cost a lot more. Their accessories are pretty spendy. The battery charger is like $60. My Nitecore works just fine and it was only $14.
Here's a pic of the leather sleeve.

• NMBO4lh.jpg
Wonderful and best of luck with your new unit. When you talk about the part 'under the battery' do you mean inside the body...what used to show a much of surface mounted components? One of my gripes with Hopper is their complete opaqueness on what appears to be many reliability improvement changes that they made and nobody (outside fo them) has any idea of the what is the latest and greatest config and where your unit stands against this.

They keep just cutting in change after incremental change without revision numbers or anything else to tell you WTF you actually have..

Can you post a pic of the part in question? Just curious.

Hi @Baron23
This pic is looking down the GH where the battery sits. It was plastic with a metal piece in the middle and there was blue underneath which looked like plastic as well in my GH that I sent into Hopper Labs. This looks all metal and a copper color as you see, the battery sits over the copper metal bottom. The darker color around the edge looks like some kind of charcoal colored filter. Maybe so cannabis dust doesn't fowl the area where the battery sits? Just a quess on my part,

I told HL that I wanted a detailed description of what the problem was and how they fixed it. That didn't happen. I was just thankful to have a working hopper back at this point.

CVau08X.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back