Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

CarolKing

Always in search of the perfect vaporizer
i had a hard time settling on a grinder this past year. I had my old stainless steel 4 piece that I got for free some years ago. It was still going strong but gets stuck with sticky weed and needed to be cleaned often. I spent probably $100 or more before I found the SLX grinder. Mine cost $50 and I like the company. I had some rubbing off of material and they sent me another piece. There's been no issues since. I like the simplicity and the ease of use. I took the kief tray out. I can grind the stickiest weed with no problems.

by Open in App
ixjTJy2.jpg

ae6PTk5.jpg

Last edited:
I have had my SLX for 15 months & cannot fault it. Seems to shred a bit finer than @CarolKing small one but I love it as a 3 piece. The only real improvement I could think of for the SLX would be to make a genuine 3 piece, concave the bottom & raise the chamber wall as high as the 4 piece with the screen in.

A good grinder should be viewed as an investment as the lifespan is measured in years usually. Having paid $80 & used it daily we are talking a cost of $0.18 a day to date. I know I think nothing of paying $4 for a cup of coffee each morning yet it took me a while to justify buying a good grinder :thinking:. Both have a significant impact on my mood but a quality grinder improves the preparation part of vaping so much it ain't funny. Just like good knives & pans make cooking much easier.

I love my kannastor gr8tr, I cant see me ever owning a different grinder....
It just works.....

I'm still stuck with old toothie, 'The worlds #1 plastic grinder' - apparently.

I've been using it for years now, I don't even know where it came from.

I've never cleaned it, it's got resin so compacted in it that bits of it have ended up with a smooth resin coating that seems to have made it quite an easy grinder to use.

I've been in the market for a new grinder for a while now, even pre-ordered the QB-GON and then cancelled after poor CS and zero contact when they missed their own delivery deadline. In retrospect I'm not even sure it would have been a great grinder and great is what I want.

I know it's time for an upgrade but I just haven't seen anything that sparks my imagination yet.

WSqH9O5.jpg

....geeze....I have a 4 piece space case..a mendo mulcher...a 4 piece Sandra Cruz shredder...a Phoenician ...2 kannistors (one vape...other gr8tr velar 4 piece) and various unnamed ones...I've been doing this a long time.

Not long ago, I decided to look into upgrading my grinder.

I read over two bloody year's worth of "grinder talk" on another forum until my head nearly imploded.

At the end of it all, I decided .... to just stick with the same 2-Piece Santa Cruz Shredder I've been using for year's now. :biggrin:

But I'm sure that grinder knowledge will come in useful someday, right?:meparto:

......different vaoes like different grinds...many times I've experienced where I'm unhappy with the quality/quantity of the bud...only to find that a different grind completely changes the experience .

I settled into 3 favorite systems:
grind.gif

I let the Shredda go.
I have a collection of Space Case Grinders, of all sizes...
and I have ONE small SCS.
The SCS is the only grinder I have used in 3 years, other than the occasional huge load in the Space Case Large.
I have tested quite a few grinders for the makers, but I got rid of every one of them!
DSC03743.jpg

Heard a lot of good things about the SCS.

What size would you recommend @Vitolo, for home use. My hand strength is good so no issues with dexterity, I tend to grind a batch for the week which isn't much as I'm only little (about 2g, maybe a bit more).

There's one going on VapeFiend for £49.99 (small), £59.99 (medium) or £79.99 (large).

Something tells me I don't need the large one, just wondering if the medium is the optimum size to go for?

I love my kannastor gr8tr, I cant see me ever owning a different grinder....
It just works.....

Cannot agree more!!
I just bought that new Lift grinder and used it once, cleaned it and packed it away...

With the GR8TR i use the fine plate and it grinds to such an even fluffy consistency!
Clean it once every 3 months or so.

I have arthritis in my thumb joints on both hands. When that's flailed up I need something easy that doesn't get stuck and hard to use. We have some pretty sticky weed in WA. I'm partial to Gorilla Glue.

My Medium SCS is my goto shredder. It will tear through anything. Chews up stems. I have a double fine method that I use with it sometimes. But can be to rough for certain tasks.

Was gifted a Haze, that would be considered a cheap grinder by others standards, but has a knack for pulling apart the materials instead of shredding. Great for certain density or gentle nugs that you don't want to pulverize. Would like to replace that with a better quality contender.

My third option is a pair of SS scissors and some precision cutting. Threw out or gave away a few poor grinder choices. So many crap and novelty grinders that are around. The public needs to stop buying crappy grinders. Glad I stopped myself with the SCS. Most of those 5 &10 bottle cap grinders are destined for the garbage bin.

I wouldn't consider getting a small grinder of any kind, think you need more torque with the hand turning to be more effective. Glad I held off on a few of the newer designs coming out.

Have a few simple nail mull grinders for vapable 'teas' and spices and other less delicate plant matter.
1 X Real Wood Herb Herbal Tobacco Grinder 2 Layer Hand Muller Neil Teeth Spice | eBay

I have a cast iron grinder for my coffee beans that works amazing for making a flinty grind for my french press.

Heard a lot of good things about the SCS.

What size would you recommend @Vitolo, for home use. My hand strength is good so no issues with dexterity, I tend to grind a batch for the week which isn't much as I'm only little (about 2g, maybe a bit more).

There's one going on VapeFiend for £49.99 (small), £59.99 (medium) or £79.99 (large).

Something tells me I don't need the large one, just wondering if the medium is the optimum size to go for?
I prefer the small to the medium.
My hands hurt when I widen my grasp even a small amount.
The small seems to get enough ground up for me.

...all my grinders are large..I do have large hands.

My hands are fairly large, but I have difficulty twisting once my fingers are spread.
When I described my grinder preferences earlier, I forgot to mention, I like to use only two piece grinders.
I do not bother to collect kief as it is abundant in my area.

...some grinders are better at catching Kiel than others...it's all part of the beauty of discovering each individual one and its properties...my space case and my Santa Clara shredder capture more than the gr8tr,,,or the mendu mukcher..

Well grip design along the edge is a consideration. My SCS is easier to take apart and put back together due to it's threading. Unlike my Haze. Or worse those that can cross thread. :yikes:

I have two methods for the initial grind. The turning circle until it's all dropped into the tray or the swivel 40 degrees/20 minutes left-right-left, repeat.

My SCS catches more everywhere and it is 'non-stick'. So I need a brush in my kit. Been using a test tube brush lately. Another check box for the next grinder. Considering the SLX now. :thinking:

Going to continue procrastinating for a little while longer before punching the buy button as there is no rush.
It might be harder to get a deal on SCSs. I got my Med for the price of a Small at the time and it felt like a bargain. But yea be fussy as to what size YOU prefer. Also SCS vary in hole size and the specs have changed over time. So an older SCS might play a little dif then the 2017 model. SCS is an excellent standby if you plan on trying newer tech down the road. Happy hunting.

My favorite grinder is the SCS 3 piece . . . :thumbsup: The shred is the new grind . . .

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back