Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Growing Cannabis vs Brewing Beer

nonamekevin

Hey friends,

For those of you that have experience growing cannabis and for those of you who have experience brewing beer. This question isn't about which one is better, but more of a comparison type of discussion.

Ive got one outdoor grow under my belt, and have brewed zero beer. But brewing looks super interesting as a hobby, much like growing is. I'm really interested in learning from those who have done both. What is something you like/dislike about each process, which do you prefer, and any other thoughts or insights are truly appreciated.

:headbang:

Hey friends,

For those of you that have experience growing cannabis and for those of you who have experience brewing beer. This question isn't about which one is better, but more of a comparison type of discussion.

Ive got one outdoor grow under my belt, and have brewed zero beer. But brewing looks super interesting as a hobby, much like growing is. I'm really interested in learning from those who have done both. What is something you like/dislike about each process, which do you prefer, and any other thoughts or insights are truly appreciated.

I have grown both inodoor's/outdoor's
I like od for yield?

Hey friends,

I have done both
Both can be satisfying

Growing weed is more so for me though as I prefer the end product and all the ways of processing it

I have moved on from beer brewing to spirits and stills
Less work bottling and cleaning/sterilising and a much more of a punch in your final product - can make ethanol for feco also :)

I think I like the varying end products you can make with spirits too

I have not grown for years and wish I was in a situation where I could as it is the most rewarding for me

I know a part of this is my love for the plant full stop
Also that it is a plant and you have to have more of a relationship with the living entity as opposed to just manipulating and forcing your will

I don't consume alcohol as much as I once did but still vape a lot of weed

Thanks for that reply @felvapes, truly appreciate the time put into the response.

When you said that you felt more of a connection to a living entity (growing cannabis) then you did brewing beer or distilling spirits, man that hit home with me, and it's something I didn't consider when thinking about brewing beer. Although, I guess it could be argued that beer is alive due to the yeast in the beer...

Im also the same when it comes to alcohol. I like a nice beer with a meal, but not a big drinker. Rarely do I have a cocktail.

Right on homie, thanks for this insight. :headbang:

Anyone else?

Thanks for that reply @felvapes, truly appreciate the time put into the response.

When you said that you felt more of a connection to a living entity (growing cannabis) then you did brewing beer or distilling spirits, man that hit home with me, and it's something I didn't consider when thinking about brewing beer. Although, I guess it could be argued that beer is alive due to the yeast in the beer...

Im also the same when it comes to alcohol. I like a nice beer with a meal, but not a big drinker. Rarely do I have a cocktail.

Right on homie, thanks for this insight. :headbang:

Anyone else?

I've brewed beer, made wine, and now grow herb.

One thing is they all need space. Carboys, bottles, cappers, fermenters take up room. A grow needs room as well.

For a light drinker I wouldn't recommend making alcohol. Because you do end up drinking more. Same could be said about growing herb though.

When I quit brewing and started growing I lost over 30lb in a year and have maintained that loss. I got in a habit of drinking/cooking while my wife still worked and I was retired.

That habit pretty much ended with afternoon herb sessions. And now since she retired my better half does most of the cooking.

You bring up an interesting point @Shredder. After harvesting last years home grown, I definitely wasn't conservative with the herb! :biggrin:

Is there a minimum batch size you would make of beer? My wife is the chef of the family, so she's been more interested in brewing lately. Maybe because it's somewhat of an extension of cooking?

I actually lost 7 lbs when I started my t break. The damn munchies are strong with me. I used to be obese in my younger days, so packing on beer weight (or any weight) isn't a goal of mine. I could see how one gains weight with more home brewing.

Thanks for your insight homie. :headbang:

You bring up an interesting point @Shredder. After harvesting last years home grown, I definitely wasn't conservative with the herb! :biggrin:

Is there a minimum batch size you would make of beer? My wife is the chef of the family, so she's been more interested in brewing lately. Maybe because it's somewhat of an extension of cooking?

I actually lost 7 lbs when I started my t break. The damn munchies are strong with me. I used to be obese in my younger days, so packing on beer weight (or any weight) isn't a goal of mine. I could see how one gains weight with more home brewing.

Thanks for your insight homie. :headbang:

A minimum batch of beer, I think, is a 2 gallon Mr beer kit. But a five gallon kit is roughly the same price, but you need a 5 or 6 gallon carboy, and fermenter, for most beer kits. 5 gallons is roughly 24, 12 oz beers

After my late husband died, I was cleaning out the basement refrigerator and found a dozen bottles of a specialty root beer. Soda was never a big thing in our house, but @Madri-Guy had lost his father and there was root beer. M-G was a quiet child of eleven, and he dutifully tried to drink his root beer. He mentioned it tasted "odd" a few times, and I explained about sasparilla and how this wouldn't taste like Mug or A & W. By now I'm fielding phone calls about the memorial service, trying to gather paperwork, trying to explain why "good" root beer tastes worse than a two liter from a grocery store. M-G clearly wasn't enjoying his treat, so I started to do my motherly duty and finish the drink so nothing would be wasted.
It was beer, of course. His father had started brewing beer, and apparently gotten a good deal on empty, labeled root beer bottles. My poor child was near drunk and fatherless, and I still half expect Child Protection to knock on the door.
Anyway, I don't brew, but I am interested in setting up a still. I don't drink, and I especially don't drink moonshine, but I like the still idea as maybe functional art. Or something.

I do grow, but I can't compare gardening to any kitchen skill. Maybe if I ever feel like garden doesn't take all of my focus I could see adding another hobby. Just can't see brewing. I could see making root beer.

Oh yea
I used to make alcoholic ginger beer (root beer)

That stuff was lovely but dangerous
You could hardly taste the alcohol yet it was potent hahaa

That's some good stuff

I always used to add one and a half kilo of sugar instead of the recommended one kilo
It gives the beer or ginger beer that extra kick of alcohol

You can't put much more in though without it just tasting too sweet or fruity

Time to move onto spitlrits if wanting stronger stuff

Oh yea
I used to make alcoholic ginger beer (root beer)

That stuff was lovely but dangerous
You could hardly taste the alcohol yet it was potent hahaa

That's some good stuff

I always used to add one and a half kilo of sugar instead of the recommended one kilo
It gives the beer or ginger beer that extra kick of alcohol

You can't put much more in though without it just tasting too sweet or fruity

Time to move onto spitlrits if wanting stronger stuff
I've long wanted to install a still in the yard and explain it as a working art installation. While living in Appalachia, I became intrigued about moonshining and bootlegging. If I had any interest at all in drinking, I'd be my own local artisanal distillery.
Now ginger beer might be just the thing. When the apple and pear trees get bigger, I would try hard cider. There might be ways to sneak the booze in yet. Wouldn't an apple press look nice next to the still and the wine barrel ?
il_570xN.1830690455_8p0s.jpg

Last edited:
One of these days I'll make some very low alcohol, low ferment rootbeer. I have the herbs on hand and a recipe someplace. Real rootbeer is delicious!

I have a non electric distiller that can be used over a fire or on a wood stove. I have it primarily as an emergency appliance to create distilled water if the shit ever hit the fan. It can distill water or alcohol or make essential oils from herbs. I wonder what would come from distilling cannabis flowers? That might make an interesting experiment.

My husband and I used to brew beer and wine all the time. My favourite was a 5 year old Sherry that was fed once a month during its very long fermentation period. I never enjoyed drinking beer but I did like brewing it as well as playing with the science behind it. The minimum recipe we ever made was a 5 gallon batch. I still have a couple of 5 gallon glass carboys tucked away. The rest of the equipment other than the bare essentials were given away to friends during my last move.

One night, my husband was out of town and I lay sleeping in bed, when suddenly I was jolted awake by what sounded like exploding glass. I was certain that the beer we had bottled the week before had built up too much pressure through the final ferment and that the bottles were exploring in the cellar room in the basement. To protect myself, I donned a pair of quilted winter overalls over my nightgown and put on a parka. I covered my head with a leather aviation bomber hat complete with ear flaps and a chin strap and put my feet in a pair of rainboots, then completed the look with a pair of safely goggles and work gloves.

I crept through the dark house sneaking up to the beer room as if my stealthiness could prevent more explosions. I slowly opened the cellar door and gingerly stepped in as I reached for the light chain. With the room illuminated I could see that our beer was fully intact and happily fermenting away. Embarrassed now realising the ridiculous outfit I had on in the dead of night in the middle of July, I made my way back up the stairs only to be met by my dogs looking down at me from the top of the stairs. I didn't live that one down for a long time.
15809398549221863767624.png

Really funny story @Squiby ! Any pics? Lol

I had a wine cellar in our crawl space under the house. I built racks against a wall. Once I found some strawberry rhubarb wine blew corks. Apparently I bottled too early. Some corks flew 10 feet, lol.

To fix things I rebottled the unexploded bottles but added 100 proof vodka to be sure fermentation had stopped. Then it took a couple years to mellow out.

Haha
Your suit wasn't ridiculous at all @Squiby
When I was a kid and making natural non alcoholic ginger beer in the bush it was a very fizzy affair

We would put our bottles in the shed with the water tank in it
First time I made it many bottles exploded
There was glass shards embedded in the wooden beams of the shed

Scary stuff with the fact we walked in and out all the time to get water

Once one blew more would go
We covered the rest in hessian bags to stop the projectiles

From then on we used plastic soft drink bottles
A possum got in the house one night and ran through all the bottles
Some of them stretched to 3 times their original height....

The only time I've had beer explode was when I forgot if I had put a teaspoon of sugar in at bottling time to give it the carbonation
A double teaspoon bottle would be known by an explosion but never like the killer ginger beer ones, just broken bottle no shards flying through the air

Or if it didn't pop it would have froth everywhere when opened

That ginger beer recipe was from scratch and beautiful stuff

Later I used a different recipe which was less volatile
I still find it is more gassy than beer though

To protect myself, I donned a pair of quilted winter overalls over my nightgown and put on a parka. I covered my head with a leather aviation bomber hat complete with ear flaps and a chin strap and put my feet in a pair of rainboots, then completed the look with a pair of safely goggles and work gloves.
The visual I got with this was priceless..... :rofl:

Did you ever find out what the 'explosion' was?

Really funny story @Squiby ! Any pics? Lol
Thankfully no. This happened in the late 70s when cameras were big things brought out for special occasions and there were no cell phones.

Did you ever find out what the 'explosion' was?
Nope, never did and it never happened again. In all the batches of beer and wine made we never had a bottle expode. We lived in an old century farm house where the city had built up around it. There was a busy street in front. I imagine that it may have been a car backfiring that woke me.

Sorry, this is way off topic. I can remove it if necessary. I just figured the home brewers here would have some insight.

How safe are those CO2 tank carbonation setups? Assuming all of the equipment is in good order and I use a tank with a collar, regulator cage, and a heavy duty stand for the corner of my kitchen counter? I'm not happy with the Soda Stream level of carbonation and thought I'd up my game. The operation seems to be pretty straightforward. I'd just read a story where either the valve broke off the top or something like that - sent the tank flying into a wall. Emphasis on INTO.

I figured I'd be good with a 2.5lb tank and the hose for filling individual PET bottles or just a 1.5 gallon mini keg with a bar type of gun/dispenser. Personally, just keeping cold water in PET bottles would be easier than lifting the filled keg into the fridge every time.

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back