Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Growing is so relaxing

I love your system. When I moved into my house ten years ago, the yard was a wasteland of the cracked clay, dry brown weeds variety. We tossed down cardboard and mulch, got a worm bin and red wrigglers, and started a compost pile. We watered the few, small, struggling trees. For birthdays and holidays Madri-Guy and I exchanged fruit trees. We got plants from clearance sections of garden centers, cuttings and seeds from friends. We eventually freed the worms, as we didn't generate enough waste to feed them and have a compost bin. Still, every scrap of paper, every bit of cardboard, ended up in the yard under free mulch from tree trimmers. When we flooded, ruined books, clothes, anything that could go in the yard was covered with mulch and cardboard. I knew nothing about gardening, so I read permaculture books and resolved to grow good soil. Madri-Guy has done the lions share, and built fences, arbors and trellises, planted trees, bushes, installed some irrigation and a grey water system. We got into espalier so we could fit in more trees. The soil became dark, rich and crumbly, and decendants of the red wrigglers thrived. We had orange, lemon, grapefruit, pear, apple, cherry, nectarine, pomegranates, plums, pluots, peaches, quince and avocados. Serious set backs when my Other Son moved in, but we still have many plants and trees, and he left behind a grow tent and supplies when he left. I didn't even think about growing cannabis until Other Son came and took over. At one point Other Son became obsessed with sea weed fertilizer, and I refused to buy any, and somehow ended up trying not to get pulled into the freezing Pacific while dragging out sea weed to compost.
This thread, shrinking sunny spots because of growing trees, and an expensive indoor grow set up I ended up paying for, have led me to thinking about how to grow indoors. Your methods make me think it's possible to grow indoors in a way I understand.

You made a difference. I thank you, and mother nature thanks you!

Thought I had better have a look at the girls tonight and found a dark room...again:disgust: I disconnected the power and twisted the bulb in as hard as I could one-handed, connected the power and it lit up and looks normal. I am using a Super PowerPlant bulb for the first time as I had heard quite a few good reviews, this is only the second time I have used it on the bud cycle, I usually do 3 crops of budding per bulb before I replace them. I have never had this happen to the Lucagrows I used to use. I might set up a cctv to monitor it...or maybe a little solar panel hooked to a LED in an easily seen place.:sherlock:
Any other ideas?

Sometimes when your ballast starts to go you get frequent trips like that. I hope for your sake its not, but it does happen.

If my Lumatek dies I might have a closer look at getting 4 of these to replace it;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mars-Hy...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
detail-2-mars-cree-cob-led-grow-light-full-spectrum-plant-1006.jpg

A bit pricey compared to HPS but no bulb/ballast replacements for many years (also they only draw 108watt each instead of 615watts the HPS draws) . I might get 2 for an experimental seperate grow with just 2 plants.:thumbsup:
Has anyone tried this Mars Hydro light?:sherlock:

If my Lumatek dies I might have a closer look at getting 4 of these to replace it;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mars-Hydro-COB-Cree-CXB3590-Led-Grow-Light-Full-Spectrum-Seed-Veg-Flower-Plants/273407975954?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
detail-2-mars-cree-cob-led-grow-light-full-spectrum-plant-1006.jpg

A bit pricey compared to HPS but no bulb/ballast replacements for many years (also they only draw 108watt each instead of 615watts the HPS draws) . I might get 2 for an experimental seperate grow with just 2 plants.:thumbsup:
Has anyone tried this Mars Hydro light?:sherlock:
I was thinking to do the same lights?.
1000 + 600watt lights 2.
Just my youngest & I.

My older kid’s R not into CANNABIS?
Funny because their girl friends do?

Last edited:
Sometimes when your ballast starts to go you get frequent trips like that. I hope for your sake its not, but it does happen.
It played up again the next night, I replaced the bulb with a new unit and it has not played up since...but I will keep checking.:thumbsup:

Well I installed a new bulb in my 600w Lumatek and all was good again...for 4 days then no ignition again:disgust:. I went to the nearest 'big smoke' and checked out a few hydro supply guys and they all agreed the Lumatek is fucked. They all had heaps of different types of lighting systems from LED (one was selling Mars Hydro lights) to CMH double enders. Al of them agreed on one thing...LED is useless for growing ATM unless you spend around $3k per light. It seems the go-to light at this time is the CMH 315w(equivalent to 700w HPS) is the best bang for my dollar or if I can't afford that they recommend 600w, 400v ballast and bulb combo, this is also backwards compatible so I could use up my old 600w 240v supply of bulbs.
I have my old magnetic ballast 600w, 240v finishing this crop while I decide which way I will eventually go.

Well I installed a new bulb in my 600w Lumatek and all was good again...for 4 days then no ignition again:disgust:. I went to the nearest 'big smoke' and checked out a few hydro supply guys and they all agreed the Lumatek is fucked. They all had heaps of different types of lighting systems from LED (one was selling Mars Hydro lights) to CMH double enders. Al of them agreed on one thing...LED is useless for growing ATM unless you spend around $3k per light. It seems the go-to light at this time is the CMH 315w(equivalent to 700w HPS) is the best bang for my dollar or if I can't afford that they recommend 600w, 400v ballast and bulb combo, this is also backwards compatible so I could use up my old 600w 240v supply of bulbs.
I have my old magnetic ballast 600w, 240v finishing this crop while I decide which way I will eventually go.

I thought about a cmh set up when my ballast went, but decided against it. The way I designed my room I pretty much need sealed hoods. Without sealed hoods I'd need AC to grow in our summers here. An expense I'm just not going to do. And for the same reason plus the expense led 's were ruled out, so back to regular ballasts I went, lol. In a different room, or in mine without a summer crop I'd prolly go for a cmh.

Just my 2c. Ive done a few indoor grows and find, for me anyway, that outdoor is soooooo much easier. Very few issues with bugs, heat, cost etc. Just much easier for me.
When I grew outdoors in HAWAII it was so easy?
We threw seeds on da ground went surfing.
After we knew the sex we killed or pulled da males. (Late 70’s)
Da rain & trade winds did da rest?
October we made da HARVEST!

We surfed all day long.
Work?

Indoor hydroponic I grew however it seemed more difficult 2 control heat?
INDOOR was OK
OUTDOOR gave more yield? (Easier in my case?)

Just my 2c. Ive done a few indoor grows and find, for me anyway, that outdoor is soooooo much easier. Very few issues with bugs, heat, cost etc. Just much easier for me.

Back in the day I grew outdoors myself. But I think I can do much better quality wise
indoors in my climate. Plus buds attract pollen, not good for us hay fever sufferers.

@Shredder I have been looking at the following so I can use my old reflector and supply cable, just change the ballast and screw the bulb adapter into your existing bulb holder;
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/315W-CMH-Grow-Light-Kit-Ceramic-Metal-Halide-Full-Spectrum-Lamp-Ballast-Kit-Part/273363527924?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=572736960111&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

If your old hood has glass, you might have to remove it. The glass will not let some light frequencies get through. Plus it just might get too hot with the glass in. Those cmh bulbs burn hotter than hps bulbs.

So far, I'm with @SpudBobT. To me, growing outdoors is comparitivly cheap and easy for me and my circumstances. But then, I try to do it an inexpensively as I can, outdoors as well. If I didn't have so much indoor grow equipment I don't think I'd think about indoors much. As it is, I hate to not use the indoor stuff, considering what it cost me. Trying to decide if I should get clones going indoors, ready to move them out when it's time. That might be the compromise.
I also have hay fever, but haven't had problems with pollen on the bud. I've started washing my crop, so that should remove any pollen if it becomes an issue.
Still, I'd like to try indoors. It may cost less than I expect, and it looks like fun.

So far, I'm with @SpudBobT. To me, growing outdoors is comparitivly cheap and easy for me and my circumstances. But then, I try to do it an inexpensively as I can, outdoors as well. If I didn't have so much indoor grow equipment I don't think I'd think about indoors much. As it is, I hate to not use the indoor stuff, considering what it cost me. Trying to decide if I should get clones going indoors, ready to move them out when it's time. That might be the compromise.
I also have hay fever, but haven't had problems with pollen on the bud. I've started washing my crop, so that should remove any pollen if it becomes an issue.
Still, I'd like to try indoors. It may cost less than I expect, and it looks like fun.
I’ve done both with nice results.
My yield on outdoor was much larger.
FLAVOR outside.
EFFECT da same or indoor slightly winning
My statement is only my experience?
Don’t really know which is da way 2 grow?
I think I might get a TENT to hide in FRANCE?
OUTDOOR is cheaper if U can?

Last edited:

To be fair when I grew outdoors it was a clandestine grow out in the woods. So I was not there daily to watch them. But they did get washed, whenever it rained, lol. I'm not sure pollen stuck on a bud washes out easy, but idk.

I'm sure I could do outdoors easier if I could grow in my veggie garden. In my area though it gets cold and rainy during outside harvest time. (october) So unless you can mechanically mitigate that you risk harvesting early or bud rot. Bud rot on outdoor bud is very common in my state.

To be fair when I grew outdoors it was a clandestine grow out in the woods. So I was not there daily to watch them. But they did get washed, whenever it rained, lol. I'm not sure pollen stuck on a bud washes out easy, but idk.

I'm sure I could do outdoors easier if I could grow in my veggie garden. In my area though it gets cold and rainy during outside harvest time. (october) So unless you can mechanically mitigate that you risk harvesting early or bud rot. Bud rot on outdoor bud is very common in my state.
I figure pollen will get on bud the same as on the fruit and veg I eat from the same yard, and it would wash off the same. Saying this, I want to emphasize that my conditions are not identical to anyone else's. Not necessarily unique, but someone might have more of a problem with pollen on cannabis than I have had. I have 68 environmental allergies (dust, weeds, trees, grasses, molds, etc) and must wear a mask to garden At All, and must change clothes and shower as soon as I get in the house. I'm allergic to antihistamines, so use environmental control. I'm not saying if you have an issue with pollen on your grow and problems from it, that I know better than anyone else. I also don't want allergy sufferers to feel they ipso facto can't grow.
I'll get back to this. I just fell, and need to go. Sorry.

You know its funny, but I actually think I enjoy growing more then consuming! Its just so cool to see the process. It really calms my spirit.

It is enjoyable. Often, I go into the yard thinking I'll just putter for a few minutes, and two hours can go by. It was a great hardship when I wasn't allowed into the yard, that's for sure.
When I moved into my home, 10 years ago today, I wanted a yard full of vegetables, fruit and flowers. For the most part, I have that, with the added ability to grow my own medicine. Of course, I rely upon Madri-Guy for the heavy lifting. Growing and harvesting cannabis requires it's own methods, but so do roses, apples, tomatoes, lavender, etc. What thrills me is the "I did it myself" aspect. Melons or marijuana, it's always exciting to bring in and enjoy the fruits of the garden. That you can then dry it, vape it, use it in cooking, baking, tincture, use the ABV, and so on is also thrilling. Growing outdoors has been both inexpensive and rewarding.
I haven't grown indoors, so I've yet to learn the joys of an indoor grow. It may be far superior.
Thank you, @momofthegoons. Sprained wrist and ankle, banged up my knee, but no breaks.
Not sure why this shows up this way.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back