Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Baron23

So, you have one study that says it raises heart attack and stroke risks (a study whose methodology has been severely criticized) and now this one that says the opposite. Until the Feds lift cannabis research restrictions we will either not know or we will get our information from Israel who have no such restrictions.

https://www.marijuana.com/blog/2017...uana-consumption-can-minimize-risk-of-stroke/

According to a recent study published in the Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, habitual marijuana use can dramatically reduce an individual’s chance of suffering a stroke.

Dr. Francis Filbey, the head researcher for the study and the director of Cognitive Neuroscience Research in Addictive Disorders at the Center for BrainHealth, explained:

“Past marijuana research has shown changes in cognitive functions such as memory and executive functioning. Our study seeks to understand the possible neurophysiological mechanisms that may drive these cognitive changes.”

For the study, researchers from the University of Texas at Dallas studied 175 volunteers for 60 days. Of the 175 participants, 101 were drug-free, and 74 were considered perpetual “drug users” that got high on marijuana no less than “5,000 times” throughout their life.

THC Lowered Blood Pressure
Conducted by Dr. Francis Filbey, the Texas-based study discovered “The primary psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), relaxes arterial walls resulting in lower blood pressure and increased blood flow to tissues. In the brain, THC binds to ubiquitous cannabinoid receptors (CB1) that are present in arterial tissue and regulate the microvascular environment via dose-dependent dilation of cerebral arterioles.”

Analyzed and scrutinized during the study, researchers performed MRIs (magnetic resonance imaging) on the participants, in addition to monitoring their THC metabolite levels.

Conclusion
Dr. Filbey and her astute team of researchers discovered that individuals who consume cannabis on a regular basis had significantly better levels of global oxygen extraction fraction (OEF) and cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen (CMRO2) levels, particularly in comparison to non-users.

Linked to increased learning, the study also discovered “the cerebral blood flow (CBF) in the putamen — a round structure located at the base of the forebrain,” — was significantly higher in marijuana users than non-users.

Microdosing Cannabis For Heart Disease And Cardiovascular Health
by DanaSmith on Thursday Mar 23, 2017

MICRODOSING CANNABIS FOR CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE

Cardiovascular problems are a leading cause of death, and have even claimed more lives than cancer. Heart attacks can strike suddenly and without warning, although most heart problems can be avoided by preventing atherosclerosis.

Atherosclerosis is a heart condition characterized by the hardening and narrowing of the arteries. This occurs from the accumulation of fat on the blood vessel’s inner cell lining, called the endothelium. When fat builds up this in turn leads to an inflammatory response from the immune system which will cause even more damage to the arteries. Atherosclerosis is a very common contributing factor to life-threatening heart conditions including strokes and heart attacks.

The exact cause of atherosclerosis isn’t known although smoking cigarettes, high blood pressure, high glucose levels, and high cholesterol levels contribute to one’s risk. Changing one’s diet and getting regular exercise is effective in preventing or slowing down the progression of atherosclerosis although patients still commonly seek out medication such as blood thinners and statins, which are used to lower cholesterol levels. Blood thinners may be life-saving but they are not without side effects such as prolonged bleeding, bleeding gums, nosebleeds, bloody urine or feces, and unusually heavy menstruation.

However, cannabis can be a safer, natural alternative.

How Cannabis Can Help

The cardiovascular system has several cannabinoid receptors, which leads experts to think that cannabis can play a major role in keeping the heart healthy. We now have significant evidence that tells us that cannabinoids found in cannabis can help prevent atherosclerosis. Cannabinoids are critical for regulating the immune system and acting as an anti-inflammatoryagent. Inflammation is a major aspect of atherosclerosis, and cannabinoid use may slow down the progression of this heart disease.

thc.gif

In a 2005 study, scientists revealed that taking low doses of THC orally was effective in inhibiting progression of atherosclerosis in the mice subjects. They found that 1mg/kg of THC administered daily yielded the most significant improvements; and this amount of THC is much lower than what is needed to produce a psychoactive buzz. The study also concluded that the THC worked to decrease the inflammatory response in the immune system and was critical in supporting the anti-inflammatory benefits for heart disease.

Another common factor that increases one’s risk for atherosclerosis is endothelial dysfunction, which is also affected by the presence of cannabinoids. Research shows that activating the CB2 receptors is beneficial in reducing the number of endothelial-related issues such as health problems caused by high glucose diets including fat accumulation in both human and animal models of atherosclerosis.

Additionally, other studies also show that cannabinoids are effective in protecting against ischemia-reperfusion injury, which is caused by inflammation when blood supply is returned to oxygen-deprived tissue. This commonly occurs after a patient suffers from brain trauma or a stroke, which leads experts to think that medical cannabis can be beneficial for patients who are recovering from these conditions.

However, some studies suggests that patients who are already sick with cardiovascular conditions may benefit more from using strains that are high in CBD instead of THC. This is because while CB1 and CB2 receptors are present throughout the cardiovascular system, activating these receptors might actually aggravate atherosclerosis especially in patients who are already in poor health. This is because THC activates CB1 receptors in the brain that can contribute to increased pulse rate and blood pressure, which can increase the risk for heart attack and stroke especially if cannabis is consumed through smoking because this impairs blood oxygen supply for the heart.

powerplantstrain.jpg

Cardiac patients are better off avoiding strains that are high in THC and can benefit from using CBD strains instead to prevent and treat atherosclerosis.

More research on the use of cannabis for treating and preventing heart conditions is needed, although it’s clear that traditional methods of consuming cannabis may not be the best way to benefit from the plant’s medicinal properties. More doctors are prescribing edibles and vaporizers as a safer and healthier way to consume cannabis especially for patients who are already sick.

Studies also show that various cannabinoids have their own effects on atherosclerosis; THC will act on CB1 and CB2 receptors while CBD is thought to act on CB2 receptors only.

This is something I'm very interested in..
My family has a generic defect of some sort, excessive plaque deposits and narrowing of the ateries have led to most of the men in my family not living very long....
My brother recently (few years actually now) had a heart attack at the age of 33... and my dad is clogged beyond repair now.. he is 59...
Luckily I seem to be ok.... I wonder why...:weed:

Major New Study Says Cannabis Reduces Risk Of Stroke

Cannabis may reduce stroke by bringing more oxygen into the brain, this breakthrough human study suggests.

stroke-800x400.jpg

Up until now, the relationship between cannabis and stroke has been a complicated one. A major study published in early 2017 suggested that cannabis use was associated with an increased risk of stroke and other cardiac problems. The study reviewed over 315,000 hospital discharge records. However, just a few months later, another study calls bunk on the stroke claims. Here’s why science says cannabis reduces the risk of stroke.

Science says cannabis can reduce risk of stroke
Science_Says_Cannabis_1.jpg

Photo credit
Smoking tobacco is considered a major risk factor for. Now, however, a recent study announced to the press in August 2017 suggests that smoking cannabis is linked with a significant decrease in stroke risk. The research recruited 74 cannabis consumers and 101 non-consumers.

All of the canna-friendly individuals were well-acquainted with the herb. They had consumed the plant at least 5,000 times in their lives, most often via smoking.

After getting an MRI, a test that uses magnetic fields to generate images of organs in the body, the researchers found that cannabis consumers had greater global oxygen extraction fraction (OEF) and cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen (CMRO2).

OEF measures the percentage of oxygen removed from the blood and into surrounding tissues. Cerebral metabolic rate refers to the brain’s ability to oxidize glucose (sugar) for energy.

When the oxygen supply to the brain is cut off, such as in the case of stroke, the brain cannot use glucose for energy and you’ll lose consciousness within five to 10 seconds or so. A few minutes without oxygen causes permanent brain damage as brain functions essentially stop due to lack of energy.

More oxygen traveling into tissues and the improved ability to use oxygen to make energy would drastically decrease the risk of stroke. As this study suggests, cannabis changes the blood flow of oxygen to the brain.

The study also found that cannabis consumers had greater blood flow to regions of the brain responsible for learning, the putamen.

All about blood pressure
Science_Says_Cannabis_2.jpg

Photo credit
Dr. Francesca Filbey, the lead researcher, explains that the effects of cannabis on blood pressure have a huge role to play in its ability to seemingly get more oxygen into the brain. This is important, as high blood pressure is one of the primary risk factors for stroke. She states,

[…] primary psychoactive ingredient present in cannabis -tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – relaxes arterial walls resulting in lower blood pressure and increased blood flow to tissues.

Filbey isn’t the only medical researcher to find that cannabis lowers blood pressure. As early as the 1970s, scientists have discovered that psychoactive cannabis lowers blood pressure in humans. Additional research suggests that regular consumers can become tolerant to these effects.

However, Filbey’s research of consumers who have toked up over 5,000 times suggests that even with this regular consumption, cannabis fans were still more likely to have improvements in the levels of oxygen delivered to organs.

In the study, consumers were asked to abstain from cannabis for 72 hours prior to the examination. They had also used the herb daily for 60 days prior to the study. Before the examination, they were given urine tests to ensure that they had not consumed cannabis.

The research was published in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

https://www.etonline.com/kevin-smit...re-massive-heart-attack-saved-his-life-101487

Smith’s calm demeanor was due, in part, to the joint he’d smoked before his stand-up special, which proceeded the heart attack.

“I said, ‘Doc, honestly, I just smoked too much weed this morning. That’s what this is,’” Smith said, after being told he was having a heart attack. “I honestly thought I was too high. I’d smoked a bunch of weed that day because I was doing the show and then I smoked a joint right before the show and then I got off stage and all of the sudden I had a heart attack.”

“He goes, ‘No, quite the opposite. That weed saved your life.’ And I was like, ‘Do tell! Like, what do you mean?’” Smith quipped. “He said, ‘You kept calm. They told you [that] you were having a massive heart attack, and you remained calm the whole time, so that joint saved your life.’”

https://www.etonline.com/kevin-smit...re-massive-heart-attack-saved-his-life-101487

Smith’s calm demeanor was due, in part, to the joint he’d smoked before his stand-up special, which proceeded the heart attack.

“I said, ‘Doc, honestly, I just smoked too much weed this morning. That’s what this is,’” Smith said, after being told he was having a heart attack. “I honestly thought I was too high. I’d smoked a bunch of weed that day because I was doing the show and then I smoked a joint right before the show and then I got off stage and all of the sudden I had a heart attack.”

“He goes, ‘No, quite the opposite. That weed saved your life.’ And I was like, ‘Do tell! Like, what do you mean?’” Smith quipped. “He said, ‘You kept calm. They told you [that] you were having a massive heart attack, and you remained calm the whole time, so that joint saved your life.’”

Actually, MJ really helped save my life from an MI also but in a different way. I have had two MI's with stents inserted for each. Then, about two years ago, and right after a hugely successful nuclear stress test (useless things that they are), I noticed that when I vaped I was getting pains between my shoulder blades as my heart rate goes up in the first 15-20 minutes after. MJ was an early warning sign of a 90% blockage in my circumflex artery so I was able to get another stent but avoid another MI and the associated damage.

I'm very grateful to that early warning sign.

The Shocking Truth About Cannabis and Strokes

It’s hard to imagine that in just a few seconds, your entire life could be turned upside down…

For over 15 million people across the world each year, this is exactly what happens when they experience a stroke.

In the United States alone, strokes impact over 800,000 people.

And it’s not only older individuals who are at risk.

In fact, around 25% of people who experience a stroke are under the age of 65.

But what if cannabis could help?

A growing body of research indicates cannabis shows therapeutic promise as a treatment for stroke patients.

What’s more…

Cannabis could prove to be life-changing in this area.

Here’s what you need to know about cannabis and strokes.

What is a stroke?
Strokes-In-article_image_2.jpg

Approximately two-thirds of stroke survivors experience at least one lifelong disability.
Before exploring cannabis as a treatment for stroke patients, it’s important to understand what a stroke actually is.

A stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is stopped or reduced.

The cells in the brain depend on oxygen to survive.

When blood flow to the brain is interrupted, brain cells begin to die rapidly.

This causes a loss of control in muscle movement and memory.

How serious the damage is depends on the severity and location of the stroke.

A minor stroke may result in muscle weakness or a temporary impairment in speech while a major stroke may cause permanent paralysis or even total loss of speech.

While many people do go on to a full recovery – it’s estimated that two-thirds of stroke survivors experience at least one lifelong disability.

Here’s what the research shows on strokes and cannabis
Our knowledge of cannabis as a therapeutic intervention for strokes is just beginning.

We still have a lot left to learn.

However, the information we do have is eye-opening.

Research shows cannabinoids like CBD and THC play a vital role in treating and even reducing the risk of strokes occurring.

Are you curious how?

Keep reading.

Cannabinoids could reduce brain damage and neurological impairment
Time is of the essence when a stroke occurs.

A few minutes can mean the difference between a lifelong disability and the road to recovery.

A 2012 all study found that after a stroke, the amount of cannabinoid receptors in the brain increases.

Cannabis stimulates these receptors, thereby inducing a neuroprotective effect.

During the study, researchers administered a synthetic cannabinoid 10 minutes after a stroke took place.

Shockingly, brain damage and neurological impairments were significantly reduced once cannabinoids were introduced.

This study is far from the only example of cannabis’ neuroprotective properties.

A study published in the Microvascular Research Journal also found that cannabis has a neuroprotective effect that could be helpful for stroke victims.

Incredibly the researchers discovered cannabinoids were effective up to 3 hours after first administered.

This is huge!

Cannabinoids could dramatically improve the quality of someone’s life after a stroke, perhaps even save it.

CBD improves blood flow and reduces inflammation
Strokes-In-article_image_4.jpg

Cannabis could help keep your blood pressure at a healthy level.
Did you know higher stress levels are associated with an increased risk of strokes?

While there are other factors at play such as cholesterol levels, age, diet, tobacco use, etc. – stress plays a big role in the development of strokes, especially because it raises blood pressure, which increases your susceptibility to strokes.

A study revealed CBD not only lowers resting blood pressure but also your blood pressure’s response to stress.

In fact, the researchers found that even a single dose of CBD could lower your blood pressure.

But that’s not all…

A study from the American Journal of Psychology found that CBD is also a powerful anti-inflammatory and can reduce the symptoms of atherosclerosis (plaque build up in the arteries) – another leading cause of strokes.

The researchers even concluded:

“Our results suggest that CBD, which has recently been approved for the treatment of inflammation, pain, and spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis in humans, may have significant therapeutic benefits against diabetic complications and atherosclerosis.”

THC is shown to reduce the severity of strokes
CBD is not the only cannabinoid that could be helpful in treating strokes.

In fact, THC in low doses may also be beneficial.

A 2005 study examined the effect of THC and strokes. Interestingly, the researchers found that THC acted on CB2 receptors in the body and reduced the severity of strokes.

Now, it’s important to mention that this is one of few studies done to examine the relationship between THC and strokes.

Clearly we need more research to make outright claims here.

Nevertheless, what is clear is the profound impact cannabinoids could have in alleviating and treating strokes.

Cannabis may reduce risk of stroke
Strokes-In-article_image_5.jpg

Prevention is the best approach when taking care of your health.
What if cannabis could not only reduce the damage of strokes but also prevent them from occurring in the first place?

A recent study published in February 2017 revealed cannabis may do exactly that.

Seventy-four cannabis consumers were compared to 101 non-users. Participants who identified themselves as cannabis users had consumed at least 5,000 times (or more) in their lives, primarily via smoking.

All participants were asked to take an MRI.

But here’s where things get interesting….

Cannabis consumers were found to have a higher rate of global oxygen extraction fraction (OEF) along with an improved cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen.

Why is this significant?

Cannabis has a big impact on our blood and oxygen flow to the brain. And according to this study, it may help increase it, thereby reducing our risk of experiencing a stroke.

Is cannabis a cure-all for strokes? Certainly not.
It’s clear we need more research to fully understand the therapeutic impact.

Regardless, we do know that cannabis does have a huge potential for transforming lives.

It’s high time we explore the full potential of this plant.

The Shocking Truth About Cannabis and Strokes

It’s hard to imagine that in just a few seconds, your entire life could be turned upside down…

For over 15 million people across the world each year, this is exactly what happens when they experience a stroke.

In the United States alone, strokes impact over 800,000 people.

And it’s not only older individuals who are at risk.

In fact, around 25% of people who experience a stroke are under the age of 65.

But what if cannabis could help?

A growing body of research indicates cannabis shows therapeutic promise as a treatment for stroke patients.

What’s more…

Cannabis could prove to be life-changing in this area.

Here’s what you need to know about cannabis and strokes.

What is a stroke?
Strokes-In-article_image_2.jpg

Approximately two-thirds of stroke survivors experience at least one lifelong disability.
Before exploring cannabis as a treatment for stroke patients, it’s important to understand what a stroke actually is.

A stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is stopped or reduced.

The cells in the brain depend on oxygen to survive.

When blood flow to the brain is interrupted, brain cells begin to die rapidly.

This causes a loss of control in muscle movement and memory.

How serious the damage is depends on the severity and location of the stroke.

A minor stroke may result in muscle weakness or a temporary impairment in speech while a major stroke may cause permanent paralysis or even total loss of speech.

While many people do go on to a full recovery – it’s estimated that two-thirds of stroke survivors experience at least one lifelong disability.

Here’s what the research shows on strokes and cannabis
Our knowledge of cannabis as a therapeutic intervention for strokes is just beginning.

We still have a lot left to learn.

However, the information we do have is eye-opening.

Research shows cannabinoids like CBD and THC play a vital role in treating and even reducing the risk of strokes occurring.

Are you curious how?

Keep reading.

Cannabinoids could reduce brain damage and neurological impairment
Time is of the essence when a stroke occurs.

A few minutes can mean the difference between a lifelong disability and the road to recovery.

A 2012 all study found that after a stroke, the amount of cannabinoid receptors in the brain increases.

Cannabis stimulates these receptors, thereby inducing a neuroprotective effect.

During the study, researchers administered a synthetic cannabinoid 10 minutes after a stroke took place.

Shockingly, brain damage and neurological impairments were significantly reduced once cannabinoids were introduced.

This study is far from the only example of cannabis’ neuroprotective properties.

A study published in the Microvascular Research Journal also found that cannabis has a neuroprotective effect that could be helpful for stroke victims.

Incredibly the researchers discovered cannabinoids were effective up to 3 hours after first administered.

This is huge!

Cannabinoids could dramatically improve the quality of someone’s life after a stroke, perhaps even save it.

CBD improves blood flow and reduces inflammation
Strokes-In-article_image_4.jpg

Cannabis could help keep your blood pressure at a healthy level.
Did you know higher stress levels are associated with an increased risk of strokes?

While there are other factors at play such as cholesterol levels, age, diet, tobacco use, etc. – stress plays a big role in the development of strokes, especially because it raises blood pressure, which increases your susceptibility to strokes.

A study revealed CBD not only lowers resting blood pressure but also your blood pressure’s response to stress.

In fact, the researchers found that even a single dose of CBD could lower your blood pressure.

But that’s not all…

A study from the American Journal of Psychology found that CBD is also a powerful anti-inflammatory and can reduce the symptoms of atherosclerosis (plaque build up in the arteries) – another leading cause of strokes.

The researchers even concluded:

“Our results suggest that CBD, which has recently been approved for the treatment of inflammation, pain, and spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis in humans, may have significant therapeutic benefits against diabetic complications and atherosclerosis.”

THC is shown to reduce the severity of strokes
CBD is not the only cannabinoid that could be helpful in treating strokes.

In fact, THC in low doses may also be beneficial.

A 2005 study examined the effect of THC and strokes. Interestingly, the researchers found that THC acted on CB2 receptors in the body and reduced the severity of strokes.

Now, it’s important to mention that this is one of few studies done to examine the relationship between THC and strokes.

Clearly we need more research to make outright claims here.

Nevertheless, what is clear is the profound impact cannabinoids could have in alleviating and treating strokes.

Cannabis may reduce risk of stroke
Strokes-In-article_image_5.jpg

Prevention is the best approach when taking care of your health.
What if cannabis could not only reduce the damage of strokes but also prevent them from occurring in the first place?

A recent study published in February 2017 revealed cannabis may do exactly that.

Seventy-four cannabis consumers were compared to 101 non-users. Participants who identified themselves as cannabis users had consumed at least 5,000 times (or more) in their lives, primarily via smoking.

All participants were asked to take an MRI.

But here’s where things get interesting….

Cannabis consumers were found to have a higher rate of global oxygen extraction fraction (OEF) along with an improved cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen.

Why is this significant?

Cannabis has a big impact on our blood and oxygen flow to the brain. And according to this study, it may help increase it, thereby reducing our risk of experiencing a stroke.

Is cannabis a cure-all for strokes? Certainly not.
It’s clear we need more research to fully understand the therapeutic impact.

Regardless, we do know that cannabis does have a huge potential for transforming lives.

It’s high time we explore the full potential of this plant.
I read this blog before however what @Baron23 started & your last message made me cry.
BIG ROBOT’s don’t CRY!
Baron your toughest is inspiring!

@BD9 Colbert is one to watch.

I read this blog before however what @Baron23 started & your last message made me cry.
BIG ROBOT’s don’t CRY!
Baron your toughest is inspiring!
Oh, I'm not tough....I whine like a baby. Mostly, if you have cardiac disease, there ain't no denying it so you may as well pick yourself up by the bootstraps and do what you can.....and not worry about the rest.

I still do cardiac rehab three days a week. 35-40 minutes of cardio at the hospital. I love it because we are all in the same boat and have common cause with each other and its a super positive environment. Gets me up and out of the house at 7 am on three days a week and I get home about 9 am and feel great....well, for while at least! haha Endorphins....even better than MJ! haha

Met a new guy at rehab today. 44 y.o., slim, fit, very nice..well, to me...younger guy. Like myself, he has genetic inheritance to thanks for his MI. My grandfather dropped dead at 36 from and MI, my father started at 42 and after six heart attacks died at 56. I have three in the bank, I'm 66, and medical treatments and drugs are a light year better than they were even 10 years ago when I had my first MI.

I have been very busy the past couple of months with a friend of mine who has Parkinson's and seemed to go completely off the rails here in the last year and in particular in the last few months. We are pretty certain that he has other dementia issues, is rather tortured by fear, confusion, and anxiety, and is now in a assisted facility...he can't live on his own or drive anymore.

He is a very dear friend of mine...and he's only 76 (last Tues), and I take no joy or comfort at his distress.

BUT, I'm damn glad at the probability that a heart attack will drop me and I'll be dead before I hit the floor. I far prefer that to my friend's fate.

So, as always when confronted with the choice....no, I'd rather keep my problems than have someone elses.

Now, my friend @ataxian , I think YOU are tough, brave, and intrepid. So, there! haha

Oh, I'm not tough....I whine like a baby. Mostly, if you have cardiac disease, there ain't no denying it so you may as well pick yourself up by the bootstraps and do what you can.....and not worry about the rest.

I still do cardiac rehab three days a week. 35-40 minutes of cardio at the hospital. I love it because we are all in the same boat and have common cause with each other and its a super positive environment. Gets me up and out of the house at 7 am on three days a week and I get home about 9 am and feel great....well, for while at least! haha Endorphins....even better than MJ! haha

Met a new guy at rehab today. 44 y.o., slim, fit, very nice..well, to me...younger guy. Like myself, he has genetic inheritance to thanks for his MI. My grandfather dropped dead at 36 from and MI, my father started at 42 and after six heart attacks died at 56. I have three in the bank, I'm 66, and medical treatments and drugs are a light year better than they were even 10 years ago when I had my first MI.

I have been very busy the past couple of months with a friend of mine who has Parkinson's and seemed to go completely off the rails here in the last year and in particular in the last few months. We are pretty certain that he has other dementia issues, is rather tortured by fear, confusion, and anxiety, and is now in a assisted facility...he can't live on his own or drive anymore.

He is a very dear friend of mine...and he's only 76 (last Tues), and I take no joy or comfort at his distress.

BUT, I'm damn glad at the probability that a heart attack will drop me and I'll be dead before I hit the floor. I far prefer that to my friend's fate.

So, as always when confronted with the choice....no, I'd rather keep my problems than have someone elses.

Now, my friend @ataxian , I think YOU are tough, brave, and intrepid. So, there! haha
@Baron23 Sorry 2-B such a jerk and I was a KUNG FU advocate in da 60’s before ever playing football & baseball then surfing was the thing 2 due! I grew up in a surf town.
Music was part of my Culture and we had sound engineer’s setup Band’s.
Jefferson Starship Airplane, HENDRICKS & other great’s.
Never thought I would get what I have?
Be strong we need your energy!

Sorry 2-B such a jerk

You are NOT a jerk and you did nothing jerky, my friend. I have no idea of what you are talking about. All is good, mate.

You be strong too! We like having you around :headbang::clap:

Study Finds Marijuana Users Have Better Chance of Surviving Heart Attack
How cannabis could impact heart health is a major area of study for researchers.

A new study involving millions of medical records and analysis of patient outcomes has found that those who use marijuana have a better chance of surviving after being hospitalized with a heart attack.

While researchers from the University of Colorado said further study is needed, they also wrote that they “would strongly suggest that marijuana use is associated with a significant decrease in in-hospital mortality” for those admitted with a heart attack.

It’s yet another in a growing list of potential medical uses for cannabis that is being stymied, at least in the United States, by the continued illegal status of marijuana at the federal level and the lack of quality cannabis for research purposes.

The Impact of Heart Disease
How cannabis could impact heart health is a major area of study for researchers. That’s because heart disease accounts for about one in every three deaths in the United States, according to findings in research funded by the American Heart Association. Other eye-opening numbers from the research include:

• Every day, about 2,200 Americans die of cardiovascular disease. That’s one death every 40 seconds.
  • To put it in perspective, more Americans die of heart diseases every year than those who die of cancer and Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease - combined.
  • About 92.1 million American adults have some form of cardiovascular disease or are living with the after-effects of stroke
  • The costs associated with cardiovascular diseases and stroke are estimated at more than $316 billion, a number that considers health expenditures and lost productivity.
With those kinds of numbers, it’s no surprise people take notice when a study finds that there is possibility a new treatment that can prevent death from heart attack.

The Study’s Findings
Acute Myocardial Infarctions (AMI) is the medical term used to describe a patient who has had a heart-related emergency. To understand how marijuana might impact those who experience an AMI, the University of Colorado researchers analyzed hospital records for 1,273,897 AMI patients. They then focused on the 3,854 among that group who admitted to marijuana use.

They found that those who used marijuana had a decreased risk of:

• Death
  • Shock
  • Having to have a balloon inserted into a blocked artery
Of the three, the first one obviously caught the researcher’s attention the most. “Perhaps the most striking finding of our study is that marijuana use prior to AMI was associated with decreased in-hospital mortality post AMI,” they wrote.

They added that this finding actually keeps with what has been discovered in previous studies, citing a 2017 study led by researchers from the Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Texas State University and Nassau University Medical Center in New York.

The 2017 study found marijuana use did not increase the chance of mortality among those hospitalized with a heart attack. Those earlier researchers also had analyzed millions of patient hospital records.

More on cannabis and heart attacks....

University of Colorado study suggests Cannabis aids in surviving heart attack

WASHINGTON: As the cannabis industry continues to evolve, researchers are constantly uncovering positive aspects of the plant. A study by the University of Colorado suggests that cannabis can be used to increase the survivability of a heart attack. (Marijuana use and short-term outcomes in patients hospitalized for acute myocardial infarction) The study collected over 1.2 million medical records of acute myocardial infarctions (AMI) and among those records, it was discovered that 3,854 of those patients were cannabis consumers.

“Perhaps the most striking finding of our study is that marijuana use prior to AMI was associated with decreased in-hospital mortality post AMI,” writes the study authors
The study debunks the assumption that cannabis consumers would have more risk factors than non-consumers. Researchers noting that the cannabis consumers had a decreased risk of death, shock, or need to insert a balloon into a blocked artery.

How medicinal marijuana helps
The researchers mentioned that they do not exactly understand the scientific reasoning behind increased survivability. However, they speculated that the activation of cannabinoid receptor type 2/ CB2 found in the endocannabinoid system can provide therapeutic cardioprotective effects.

Research is showing that cannabis does increase blood flow, preventing blood clots and strokes. The International Business Times reports:

A new study conducted by the University of Texas at Dallas has found cannabis can improve a person’s health by enhancing the blood and oxygen flow, thus reducing the risk of blood clots and the possibility of a stroke.
The study conducted by Dr. Francesca Filbey and her team claims the “primary psychoactive ingredient present in cannabis —tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — relaxes arterial walls resulting in lower blood pressure and increased blood flow to tissues.”

From Role of cannabis in cardiovascular disorders – Journal of Thoracic Disease:

Chronic marijuana use is associated with a decrease in HR, disappearance of orthostatic hypotension, increase in blood volume, and decrease in the circulatory responses to exercise which are consistent with reduced sympathetic and increased parasympathetic activity (18).

ground-marijuana-640x386.jpg

Image by Jacquie Kubin

Unfortunately, as many studies exist that claim habitual marijuana use can be detrimental to heart health. It is important that individuals contrast their own heart health against available information on the effects of cannabis, and CBD oil. Like choosing to use any medicine to treat your health issues, it is important to do your own research.

Nonetheless, a multitude of studies and empirical evidence concludes that cannabis can effectively treat other medical conditions. Positive benefits from THC and CBD use include assisting with cancer pain, nausea, and loss of appetite. Chronic pain from injury and lessening of epilepsy and multiple sclerosis symptoms.

Medical cannabis predominate use is among patients suffering from chronic pain. The activation of the CB2 receptors can help alleviate the pain as well as reduce inflammation. (Microdosing marijuana: what doctors say is the best way to consume)

Thousands of medical institutions and researchers are conducting trials to better understand the psychological and neurological effects of cannabis. And while the industry remains in its infancy, it is rapidly accelerating.

In the near future, cannabis could potentially become a globally available medicinal treatment for a variety of conditions, including heart health. But first definitive research needs to be concluded.

More on cannabis and heart attacks....

University of Colorado study suggests Cannabis aids in surviving heart attack

WASHINGTON: As the cannabis industry continues to evolve, researchers are constantly uncovering positive aspects of the plant. A study by the University of Colorado suggests that cannabis can be used to increase the survivability of a heart attack. (Marijuana use and short-term outcomes in patients hospitalized for acute myocardial infarction) The study collected over 1.2 million medical records of acute myocardial infarctions (AMI) and among those records, it was discovered that 3,854 of those patients were cannabis consumers.

“Perhaps the most striking finding of our study is that marijuana use prior to AMI was associated with decreased in-hospital mortality post AMI,” writes the study authors
The study debunks the assumption that cannabis consumers would have more risk factors than non-consumers. Researchers noting that the cannabis consumers had a decreased risk of death, shock, or need to insert a balloon into a blocked artery.

How medicinal marijuana helps
The researchers mentioned that they do not exactly understand the scientific reasoning behind increased survivability. However, they speculated that the activation of cannabinoid receptor type 2/ CB2 found in the endocannabinoid system can provide therapeutic cardioprotective effects.

Research is showing that cannabis does increase blood flow, preventing blood clots and strokes. The International Business Times reports:

A new study conducted by the University of Texas at Dallas has found cannabis can improve a person’s health by enhancing the blood and oxygen flow, thus reducing the risk of blood clots and the possibility of a stroke.
The study conducted by Dr. Francesca Filbey and her team claims the “primary psychoactive ingredient present in cannabis —tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — relaxes arterial walls resulting in lower blood pressure and increased blood flow to tissues.”

From Role of cannabis in cardiovascular disorders – Journal of Thoracic Disease:

Chronic marijuana use is associated with a decrease in HR, disappearance of orthostatic hypotension, increase in blood volume, and decrease in the circulatory responses to exercise which are consistent with reduced sympathetic and increased parasympathetic activity (18).

ground-marijuana-640x386.jpg

Image by Jacquie Kubin

Unfortunately, as many studies exist that claim habitual marijuana use can be detrimental to heart health. It is important that individuals contrast their own heart health against available information on the effects of cannabis, and CBD oil. Like choosing to use any medicine to treat your health issues, it is important to do your own research.

Nonetheless, a multitude of studies and empirical evidence concludes that cannabis can effectively treat other medical conditions. Positive benefits from THC and CBD use include assisting with cancer pain, nausea, and loss of appetite. Chronic pain from injury and lessening of epilepsy and multiple sclerosis symptoms.

Medical cannabis predominate use is among patients suffering from chronic pain. The activation of the CB2 receptors can help alleviate the pain as well as reduce inflammation. (Microdosing marijuana: what doctors say is the best way to consume)

Thousands of medical institutions and researchers are conducting trials to better understand the psychological and neurological effects of cannabis. And while the industry remains in its infancy, it is rapidly accelerating.

In the near future, cannabis could potentially become a globally available medicinal treatment for a variety of conditions, including heart health. But first definitive research needs to be concluded.
Maybe we are all different?
CANNABIS help’s me?
LSD my friend took every week for three year’s!
He got his degree in civil engineering?
His buddy was spin out and is dead?
Depend’s?

Okay.. from WebMD... this kind of article really ticks me off and is misinformation, imo. And the last line of this article says it all..........

"However, both studies were observational and do not establish a direct cause-and-effect link between marijuana use and these conditions"

Well if that is the case, then why print the article as being a 'factual study?' :disgust:

Frequent Pot Smokers Face Twice the Odds for Stroke

MONDAY, Nov. 11, 2019 (HealthDay News) -- Smoking pot doesn't do your heart or your brain any favors, a pair of new studies shows.

Frequent pot smokers are more than twice as likely to suffer a stroke compared with those who don't partake, the first study found.

They're also more likely to be hospitalized for a dangerously erratic heart rhythm, according to the second study.

Both studies are to be presented at an upcoming meeting of the American HeartAssociation (AHA), in Philadelphia, Nov. 16 to 18. Research presented at meetings is typically considered preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed journal.

The findings are "thought provoking at a time when there is a great push to legalize marijuana, and the herb and its metabolites are being promoted as a cure-all for a myriad of medical conditions and ailments," said Dr. Ranjit Suri, an electrophysiologist at Mount Sinai St. Luke's in New York City. Suri was not part of either study.

The first study found that non-smokers who use marijuana more than 10 days a month are nearly 2.5 times more likely to have a stroke versus non-users.

For the study, researchers evaluated federal survey data on more than 43,000 adults, aged 18 to 44, of whom about 14% reported using pot in the last 30 days.

The study team was surprised that people so young had such an elevated stroke risk, said lead author Tarang Parekh, a health policy researcher at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.

"Young cannabis users, especially those who use tobacco and have other risk factors for strokes, such as high blood pressure, should understand that they may be raising their risk of having a stroke at a young age," he said.

Prior studies have shown that marijuana can increase blood clotting and cause arteries to narrow, both of which can increase the risk of stroke, Parekh said. This might explain the observed association.

In the second study, researchers found that people who compulsively use cannabis have an up to 50% greater risk of being hospitalized for an arrhythmia-- an erratic heartbeat that can increase risk of stroke, heart attack or heart failure.

The team compared more than 570,000 people hospitalized with an arrhythmia against more than 67 million patients hospitalized for other reasons, looking specifically at those diagnosed with cannabis-use disorder.

People aged 25 to 34 who compulsively used cannabis were 52% more likely to land in the hospital suffering an arrhythmia, the researchers found, while those aged 15 to 24 were 28% more likely to be hospitalized for an irregular heartbeat.

"The effects of using cannabis are seen within 15 minutes and last for around three hours. At lower doses, it is linked to a rapid heartbeat. At higher doses, it is linked to a too-slow heartbeat," said lead researcher Dr. Rikinkumar Patel, a resident physician in the department of psychiatry at Griffin Memorial Hospital in Norman, Okla.

Doctors need to ask new stroke and heart patients about their marijuana use to better inform their treatment options, both sets of researchers concluded.

"The risk of cannabis use linked to arrhythmia in young people is a major concern, and physicians should ask patients hospitalized with arrhythmias about their use of cannabis and other substances because they could be triggering their arrhythmias," Patel said.

However, both studies were observational and do not establish a direct cause-and-effect link between marijuana use and these conditions, Suri noted.

Study: No Association Between Marijuana Smoking and Heart Disease

Charleston, SC: Marijuana smoking is not associated with an elevated risk of coronary artery disease (CAD aka heart disease) in young to middle age adults, according to data published in the journal PLOS One.

A team of investigators affiliated with the Medical University of South Carolina and the University of Texas assessed the relationship between CAD and self-reported cannabis use in 1,420 subjects. Participants in the study were all between the ages of 18 and 50, had experienced chest pain, and underwent a coronary CT angiography.

Researchers reported that subjects with a history of cannabis use were less likely to show evidence of CAD as compared to subjects with no cannabis exposure. Marijuana using subjects also tended to be younger and were less likely to suffer from either hypertension or diabetes.

"The results demonstrate a relatively low frequency of CAD in a younger, marijuana-using patient subgroup," authors concluded,

Their findings are similar to those of a longitudinal trial which found, "Neither cumulative lifetime nor recent use of marijuana is associated with the incidence of CVD (cardiovascular disease) in middle age."

Full text of the study, "Marijuana use and coronary artery disease in young adults," appears in PLOS One.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back